PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell/Lehigh Preview Up

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM
This week Lehigh faces Bucknell at Murray Goodman. What the Doctor Ordered, or Upset Special?

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

cosmo here
October 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Good preview once again, LFN.

I think most Lafayette fans will take exception that the Petersen/Slater/Nana-Sinkham trio is even mentioned in the same breath with Bennett/Costanzo/Witherspoon - maybe one of the two or three best groups in this league, ever. Any defense that gives up touchdowns on four straight possessions to open the game against a Lafayette offense that hasn't been all that impressive the rest of the season isn't that good.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
"They may not quite be Witherspoon/Costanzo/Bennett from that school in Easton last year, but they're not far off."

:flagged: ...inappropriate comparsion, LFN, that's a 15-yard penalty, loss of down" That far off? Ha, I don't see BU's trio getting national headlines or looks.

Good preview, and I agree with most of it. If Lehigh simply plays it's game and does not ahve any hiccups, then the Hawks will be 2-0. However, I think this game will be close as the Bison have proved fiesty.. only PL winning mark aside from HC.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I stand by what I said. True, Bucknell has struggled defensively, but it's not because of any of the linebackers. Look more in front of them and behind them for the reason why.

I'm sure I don't have to tell Lafayette fans that B/W/C had a really great supporting cast around them last year - Snipes for one, and Torian Johnson (who causes me heartburn :p ) Sometimes the difference between "good" and "great" is your supporting cast.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I stand by what I said. True, Bucknell has struggled defensively, but it's not because of any of the linebackers. Look more in front of them and behind them for the reason why.

I'm sure I don't have to tell Lafayette fans that B/W/C had a really great supporting cast around them last year - Snipes for one, and Torian Johnson (who causes me heartburn :p ) Sometimes the difference between "good" and "great" is your supporting cast.

or they were just legitimately great . . Lafayette still has Snipes/Liseno/Sprenkle on the DL and Johnson/Martell/Kazimierowski at safety, and they've been lit up this year -- over 24 points each of the last three games, when's the last time that happened? 2003? (pre B/C/W).

ngineer
October 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Something tells me the BU and LC teams that met in early September are far from resembling themselves at present. BU has a young squad, and now, with 6 games under their belt, I would think their D will be more formidable than it was. Keep in mind, it was the same BU squad that handled Cornell early this year, who just last week handled some other maroon squad to the north....Teams can grow, regress or tread water during the course of the year. Lehigh seems to be treading water, BU is growing and not to be taken lightly at all.
Forecast looks excellent for Alumni Weekend! I would hope for at least 12,000 at Goodman.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
BU held Cornell to 3 points the next week, on 436 yards . . gave up 48 to Richmond and 34 to Penn, and 19 to Marist which was shut out by Holy Cross . . then held a very bad Georgetown offense to 7. Kind of a mixed result there to say that they're approaching a top level defense.

(and that's disregarding the previous comment about the linebackers compared to Lafayette's B/C/W, which I'll pretend I didn't hear) xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hey, I hope you're right about Bucknell's "D", but I agree with ng that this isn't the same team from Week 2. Especially on that young "D" line, who seem to have some real up-and-comers getting in there like soph DL Todd Rinaldo. They are also pretty big as Patriot "D" lines go.

Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate fans all want to see the same things from their teams this week -- more consistency.

Pard94
October 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM
"They may not quite be Witherspoon/Costanzo/Bennett from that school in Easton last year, but they're not far off."

If by "not far off" you mean all three of Bucknell's linebackers would have been second string to Lafayette's linebackers...I guess I can agree.

LUHawker
October 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM

If by "not far off" you mean all three of Bucknell's linebackers would have been second string to Lafayette's linebackers...I guess I can agree.

Hey, when someone from Lafayette steps up to write a blog about LaFayette, then we can all discuss the Lafayette vs. Bucknell linebackers there, but this is a LEHIGH-BUCKNELL preview. You LC guys keep hijacking threads to discuss LC. How about some commentary about the Bucknell defense vs. the LU offense. I agree, BU has made some progress, but I also think LU could shine this weekend.

cosmo here
October 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM
How about some commentary about the Bucknell defense vs. the LU offense.

Lehigh's offense will fare much better against Bucknell's defense than they fared against Lafayette's defense last year, because LC's three All-Patriot League linebackers from 2005 are head and shoulders above BU's linebackers in 2006 (neither of BU's upperclassmen LBs were All-PL last season).

LUHawker
October 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Lehigh's offense will fare much better against Bucknell's defense than they fared against Lafayette's defense last year, because LC's three All-Patriot League linebackers from 2005 are head and shoulders above BU's linebackers in 2006 (neither of BU's upperclassmen LBs were All-PL last season).

You are an ass.

cosmo here
October 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
You are an ass.

Thanks. Honestly I agreed with everything LFN said in his preview, except for the linebacker thing. It's like saying Dominic Randolph at Holy Cross is just a notch below Phil Stambaugh because he's had three good games against mediocre competition. If you're a follower of a school, you can't let those things slide.

LUHawker
October 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks. Honestly I agreed with everything LFN said in his preview, except for the linebacker thing. It's like saying Dominic Randolph at Holy Cross is just a notch below Phil Stambaugh because he's had three good games against mediocre competition. If you're a follower of a school, you can't let those things slide.

But let's not beat a dead horse about it. Besides, I figure you'll let us know whether Randolph is Stambaugh-esque or not this weekend. I am suspect of HC, but expect LC to win a close one.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM

LB Dorian Petersen, IMO, would have started ahead of Witherspoon. He is a great linebacker, and will (barring disaster) be a 1st-team All PL this year. Only LB Dan Adams in our league this year is better.

cosmo here
October 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM
LB Dorian Petersen, IMO, would have started ahead of Witherspoon. He is a great linebacker, and will (barring disaster) be a 1st-team All PL this year. Only LB Dan Adams in our league this year is better.

as long as we're not comparing this year's PL to last year's. Last year - Nepa DPOY, Bennett 1st team All-American, and Costanzo, Conover and Ononibaku all went to NFL camps. Witherspoon was the top LB with tackles for a loss and had over 100, the other LBs, Graziani and Marcus Taylor, were pretty good too.

gobucknell06
October 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Lehigh wins 38-23.

Fordham
October 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
... the other LBs, Graziani and Marcus Taylor, were pretty good too.

Taylor has really been a beast this year. He's been outstanding but it's just too bad that it's been on what has been such a poorly performing squad so far. In particular, our offense has played 3 and out consistently all-season, which has made it tough on an otherwise very strong front-7 on our D (our secondary has been pretty pitiful, though). Hopefully PL fans will get to see what a gem he is (and he's a great, great class-act kid too) for the rest of the season.

Back to thread topic: I too think this is when Lehigh pulls it together in time to be in the thick of things for the title chase. Lehigh 31 Bucknell 10.

PS - good to see some Bucknell fans here ... unless these are all just Ken_Z using different IP addresses. :D

bison137
October 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Hey, I hope you're right about Bucknell's "D", but I agree with ng that this isn't the same team from Week 2. Especially on that young "D" line, who seem to have some real up-and-comers getting in there like soph DL Todd Rinaldo. They are also pretty big as Patriot "D" lines go.

Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate fans all want to see the same things from their teams this week -- more consistency.

"They are also pretty big as Patriot "D" lines go."..... Our DL averages 6'1", 249 lbs. Are there actually PL DL's smaller than this? My opinion is that there is still a lot of improvement that needs to be made in this area. With a freshman, a soph, and 2 juniors starting, next year should be a lot better at this position. Also three of the four backups are frosh, and I'd be surprised if at least one of them didn't win a starting job in the spring.

I agree with your comment that it is the line and the CB's who have hurt the defense, not the linebackers. I won't start any comparisons but all three are very good. I expect Peterson to make all-PL this year. The other finalist for Nana-Sinkham, by the way, was Lafayette. He has supposedly grown a fair amount since the time when he was being recruited.

Keep up the good work.

Pard94
October 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Hey, when someone from Lafayette steps up to write a blog about LaFayette, then we can all discuss the Lafayette vs. Bucknell linebackers there, but this is a LEHIGH-BUCKNELL preview. You LC guys keep hijacking threads to discuss LC. How about some commentary about the Bucknell defense vs. the LU offense. I agree, BU has made some progress, but I also think LU could shine this weekend.

Hey Hawk, if you don't want us Pards to comment on the blog see to it that no comparisons are made to Lafayette's best trio of linebackers in school history (quite possible league history). Any such comparisons are bound to draw opinions from us. If you think otherwise you, sir, are the "ass".xidiotx