PDA

View Full Version : USA Today - Jim Harbaugh article (Sorry everyone!)

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Here is that Harbaugh article I promised you all was coming....sorry, but it is a fun read...:D You can blame me for this thread.....:nod: Oh, and another article on MSNBC I did not kow was coming. You have to admit, USD is getting a lot of attention due to Harbaugh...

USA TODAY article http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-10-18-harbaugh_x.htm

MSNBC article http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15321814/

GOTOREROS

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
From USATODAY:

"We'd take on Stanford, USC, Michigan, anybody," Harbaugh says. "We're trying to build a legacy and an identity in San Diego of winning football."

From MSNBC:

While a repeat league championship is the main goal, earning a ranking has raised the intriguing possibility of an at-large berth in the 16-team I-AA playoffs if the Toreros - it's Spanish for "bullfighters'' - can remain undefeated.

"I think we have a shot,'' said Harbaugh, who is 24-5 overall. "I think we're definitely good enough and deserving.''

While San Diego State is floundering at 0-5 under first-year coach Chuck Long, confidence at USD couldn't be higher.

"Just looking at the Top 25, which includes all the I-AA scholarship schools, I believe we beat most of them,'' Harbaugh said.

I just could not resist....

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM
"We'd take on Stanford, USC, Michigan, anybody," Harbaugh says. "We're trying to build a legacy and an identity in San Diego of winning football."

I just could not resist....

Just not Cal-Polyxlolx

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
First one was not a bad article. He is just pumping up the program anbd the kids and pumping up his resume. :cool:

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
The second article - He is pumping up the program and sounding like an ass-hole at the same time:D

Good Luck to Toreros. Harbaugh won't be there long.

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM
The second article - He is pumping up the program and sounding like an ass-hole at the same time:D

I agree with you. This text in the first article didn't look too good for USD fans.

"He signed a four-year deal in December that allows him to leave without financial penalty. Harbaugh, divorced and with three children who live near him in Coronado, Calif., says he's happy but not averse to listening to offers."

If not this year, then next. I guess I just have to enjoy the success while it is here.... hopefully it will cary on after he leaves. A foundation is being built, and now it must go up from there. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

CSU BUCS
October 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I kindof like the guy.

Torero Tradition
October 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM

He tried really hard to leave last year. The DUI may have set him back.

LUHawker
October 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM
"...after turning the program into a Division I-AA powerhouse in just three "seasons..."

Division I-AA powerhouse? Yes, all of those wins over Butler, Valpo, etc. that really is a powerhouse.

Let me say again, and directly to Harbaugh - you aren't getting a playoff bid this year. Get ready for UC-Davis.

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I agree Harbaugh throws a deep line out into the water. I think he is basically setting himself up to leave after this year - leaving USD "holding" his bag. I wish he wouldn't say many of the things he does, especially since he won't be around to follow through on them...: smh :

GOTOREROS

AggiePride
October 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM
All talk.

Yeh, just gloss over the fact you do not play any of those top 25 teams, pretend you're on the same level as them, and divert the attention by talking about wanting to play Michigan...

If you "would", then DO IT. What about CP?

I would give USD more credit for finally scheduling Davis, but it seems as if he does not even know this game will happen this year. I guess this game really is not worth his attention, he has bigger and better things, like phantom playoff apperances and getting his team to the super bowl. Or maybe he is just not worried about lowly CA teams that don't fit his standards... were no Michigan.

Davis can relate to USD if any team can. D-II and 100% non-scholly only a decade ago. We know what it is like to be the underdog. We know what it is like to have awesome talent regardless of real recruiting. But we did not have a few great seasons and start talking like we own the place... I won't even bring up SOS.

See you in Davis USD.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Harbaugh can say whatever he wants, and the USD administration can quitely back him up, because he has no intention of building a long term career at USD. Of course he wants to go to the playoffs this year, it might be his last at USD and talk about a resume enhancer.... Personally, I think almost 100% of the success at USD can be traced to Harbaugh, and I think it will be very difficult for USD to continue at this level once he departs. Not good for USD, not good for the PFL, but good for Jim Harbaugh. How many kids want to commit to a school, and pay $43K per year, if the top level coach is not going to be around? I wish that USD could come up with the coin to keep him around.... I mean, with ZERO scholarships, there should be some money in the coffers to keep Harbaugh around for a while longer.... Now a multi-million dollar deal at a big I-A would be hard to top, but as good as he is, I think he is not that valuable yet.... I would not be suprised if every other school in the PFL was sending Harbaugh's resume to every I-A school in the land....xlolx

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Another Harbaugh article.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/aztecs/20061019-9999-1s19sdcoachs.html

BigApp
October 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
it's :xmas: and xbdayx , all at once!

What's not to like about...San Diego...

DUPFLFan
October 19th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Here's hoping the same thing happens to Harbaugh this week in Iowa...