PDA

View Full Version : USD Playoffs

lucchesicourt
October 19th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Okay Toreros, you want to be in the playoffs, right? I have a suggestion. Instead of cancelling the UCD game, why don't you see if you can schedule the UCD game for 11/11 (UCD has an open date) and instead cancel the Dayton game or move it to where the UCD game is scheduled at the end of the season. That way you will have at least played 1 top program to aid or hinder your cause. I am sure this would help the playoff committee one way or the other, and let USD know where they really stand in relation to the playoff caliber 1AA's (UCD is not there yet themselves, but gettting closer). At least our 3 losses have been to very good programs, and could easily have been wins against teams like Azusa-Pacific, just about any D2, etc. lhad we scheduled them instead of Cal Poly, YSU, or TCU.

AppGuy04
October 19th, 2006, 07:46 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dane96
October 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Hey, BIG APP....this is page 1 stuff!!!

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

AppGuy04
October 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I don't care whether they get in, but damn, do we need a new thread about it EVERYDAY?

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'd love to see USD play NDSU!

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 09:13 AM
USD is one of the few schools in the PFL that does not have its own messageboard. The PFL has a board, of course, but USD fans do not have any place to discuss their team online other than the PFL board, don Hansen or here. Maybe an indication as to the number of USD threads on this board.... You would think Harbaugh could use some of his influence in the community to get one of those computer dudes in San Diego to start a board....

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM
USD is one of the few schools in the PFL that does not have its own messageboard. The PFL has a board, of course, but USD fans do not have any place to discuss their team online other than the PFL board, don Hansen or here. Maybe an indication as to the number of USD threads on this board.... You would think Harbaugh could use some of his influence in the community to get one of those computer dudes in San Diego to start a board....

This thread was not started by a USD fan - and several others were not started by USD fans either, so please don't blame us for EVERYTHING.....:bang:

GOTOREROS

slostang
October 19th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I know that Cal Poly tried hard to get San Diego on their schedule this year and they wanted no part of it. My suggestion to USD is only play top 25 teams for their OOC games. I know that travel is not a problem since they can go accross the country to play the Ivy League teams. Next year why not Montana, Montana State, Portland State, Cal Poly, NDSU, UC Davis (not on the openning week of the playoffs) out west. If you can travel accross the country again, how about App. State, Furman, Delaware, JMU, Youngstown, UNI, Ill. State ..... Seeing that you play teams that do not impress the playoff selection committee in the PFL, every OOC game should be against a team like the ones above. Better yet, why not offer schollies and move into the GWFC. Win there and you would have a great chance at the playoffs.

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I know that Cal Poly tried hard to get San Diego on their schedule this year and they wanted no part of it. My suggestion to USD is only play top 25 teams for their OOC games. I know that travel is not a problem since they can go accross the country to play the Ivy League teams. Next year why not Montana, Montana State, Portland State, Cal Poly, NDSU, UC Davis (not on the openning week of the playoffs) out west. If you can travel accross the country again, how about App. State, Furman, Delaware, JMU, Youngstown, UNI, Ill. State ..... Seeing that you play teams that do not impress the playoff selection committee in the PFL, every OOC game should be against a team like the ones above. Better yet, why not offer schollies and move into the GWFC. Win there and you would have a great chance at the playoffs.

Yes - I know that CP did in fact offer a chance to play USD. USD turned it down and I was really bummed out that happened. I really hope we can play you guys in the future - you have a really good team. I hope you kick the crap out of San Diego State.....:D

GOTOREROS

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Yes - I know that CP did in fact offer a chance to play USD. USD turned it down and I was really bummed out that happened. I really hope we can play you guys in the future - you have a really good team. I hope you kick the crap out of San Diego State.....:D

GOTOREROS

Any idea why it was turned down? Scheduling conflict?

89Hen
October 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yes - I know that CP did in fact offer a chance to play USD. USD turned it down
:eyebrow: The plot thickens.

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Any idea why it was turned down? Scheduling conflict?

To be honest I am not really sure - I think part of it was that we had already agreed to play UC Davis and they didn't want to bite off too much this first year. I hope we look at adding more than one tough non-conference game in the future. At some point we need to take the plunge...

GOTOREROS

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
To be honest I am not really sure - I think part of it was that we had already agreed to play UC Davis and they didn't want to bite off too much this first year. I hope we look at adding more than one tough non-conference game in the future. At some point we need to take the plunge...

GOTOREROS

In case you haven't notice, I have not been bashing San Diego and I may be speaking out of turn here, but if that is the reason, all the talk of playoffs should disappear. :nod:

and I appreciate your honesty. :thumbsup:

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM
In case you haven't notice, I have not been bashing San Diego and I may be speaking out of turn here, but if that is the reason, all the talk of playoffs should disappear. :nod:

and I appreciate your honesty. :thumbsup:
There's really only a few in here that are actually talking playoffs, and we all know that they are way off base by saying that. The playoff talk should disappear, but for some reason the subject keeps coming up.... and it is not always a USD fan that brings it up. Seems as though some like to stir the pot a little bit by starting another USD playoff discussion. If you are a true I-AA fan then you would know that it is all talk, and you should just not respond to any of the outlandish comments about USD's playoff hopes.

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 10:14 AM
There's really only a few in here that are actually talking playoffs, and we all know that they are way off base by saying that. The playoff talk should disappear, but for some reason the subject keeps coming up.... and it is not always a USD fan that brings it up. Seems as though some like to stir the pot a little bit by starting another USD playoff discussion. If you are a true I-AA fan then you would know that it is all talk, and you should just not respond to any of the outlandish comments about USD's playoff hopes.

Talk is what we are about here:nod:

I congratulate USD on its success

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Ugh... I'd welcome a MAAC thread over USD nowadays...

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Ugh... I'd welcome a MAAC thread over USD nowadays...
Yet for some reason you feel like you need to read these threads, and make a comment that adds nothing to the discussion. Thanks.

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Thought this was a good synopsis of the upcoming USD vs Drake game:

San Diego, here’s your chance to back up the talk. The Toreros have exploded on the national scene with a 6-0 record this season and 14 wins in a row overall, and have buried their competition this year. They have scored at least 40 points in five of their six games and won every contest by 27 points or more. Playing competition like Butler, Valparaiso, Dixie State and Azuza Pacific has I-AA followers rightly wondering how good the Toreros are, but a convincing 43-17 victory over a Yale team that is now 4-1 made a good statement for the Toreros validity. But are they as good as some in the program are claiming? Head coach Jim Harbaugh said they could beat half of the teams in the top 25, and that quarterback Josh Johnson is the best junior in college football and can play at the NFL. Johnson has certainly played like a star so far (1,607 yards, 19 TD/3 INT), and the Toreros are acting like a team that wants to make its noise in the playoffs, not in the Pioneer Football League or in the Gridiron Classic. To do that, they need to keep showing that they are clearly superior to PFL competition, and pass their only real test in the league this week. Drake has won its last six games, and has emerged as a contender in the race for the last few seasons behind running back Scott Phaydavong (1,066 yards, 6 TD). The Bulldogs just knocked off Butler, 29-0, and moved to No. 2 in The Sports Network Mid-Major Top 10 to set up this showdown of that poll’s top teams. But even with the Bulldogs’ success at the Mid-Major level, the Toreros should win this game going away if they are a top 25-caliber team. Drake lost to Northern Iowa, 48-7, in its home opener, and lost by more than 30 points to UNI and Illinois State last year. They did play San Diego tough in a 31-26 loss in 2005, so the Toreros have to turn it up a notch to match what other top 25 teams did against the Bulldogs. That will be hard to do, since this is a conference game where Drake will want to prove it can contend for the top spot in the PFL and the Mid-Major level. But this is a better San Diego team, which has too much going right to slip up right now. They might not be able to match what UNI did, but should win fairly easily in their last real statement game before they can think about any type of schedule re-arrangement in hopes of a playoff berth. Prediction: San Diego 34, Drake 17

Torero Tradition
October 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Good job Fan55. Should be a good game. Will be a road test for sure.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
that USD should go to the playoffs. It is your own coach USD folks. Now, I am a Flyer fan, and frankly, I am still hoping against hope that my Flyers regroup and give USD a good game in San Diego, ( I'll be there! ). But, anyone who knows my posts at all can probably guess that I would be backing ANY PFL team that might, just might, get a bid to the I-AA playoffs. This season, it happens to be USD, but I have backed other so called "Mid-Major" teams in the past. I am 100% against the Gridiron Classic, I am 100% against Patty V's conflict of interest between the Gateway and PFL, ( supported unfortunately by the PFL schools as well ), and I want to see I-AA crown a real champion by including much more of the division in the playoffs! Frankly, I do not care one iota if the old guard in I-AA is going to fight to maintain the status quo.... I will be expressing my thoughts, as long as I am allowed, and taking the beatings that always result!

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Great take on the Drake game - it will be a battle. I think USD is the better team, but you never know when you hit the road. If USD can limit Phaydavong to reasonable numbers then USD wins easily, if Phaydavong gets it going it could be a long day.

Where do you guys see Phaydavong ranking in I-AA for running backs?

GOTOREROS

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Yet for some reason you feel like you need to read these threads, and make a comment that adds nothing to the discussion. Thanks.

No I don't read the thread... I just make a wise-guy comment on how silly this all is, just like half the people who make comments on USD threads nowadays. What more is there to add to the discussion? USD is not going to the playoffs.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Good job Fan55. Should be a good game. Will be a road test for sure.

that's not "Fan55" 's take . . it's from Matt Dougherty of The Sports Network.

89Hen
October 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Frankly, I do not care one iota if the old guard in I-AA is going to fight to maintain the status quo.... I will be expressing my thoughts, as long as I am allowed, and taking the beatings that always result!
Cal Poly, Florida Atlantic, Bethune-Cookman, Hofstra c. 1999... all part of the "Old Guard". Give it a rest DF. :nonono2:

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Great take on the Drake game - it will be a battle. I think USD is the better team, but you never know when you hit the road. If USD can limit Phaydavong to reasonable numbers then USD wins easily, if Phaydavong gets it going it could be a long day.

Where do you guys see Phaydavong ranking in I-AA for running backs?

GOTOREROS
I see him in at least the top 10.

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
No I don't read the thread... I just make a wise-guy comment on how silly this all is, just like half the people who make comments on USD threads nowadays. What more is there to add to the discussion? USD is not going to the playoffs.
Of course they aren't. Do you feel the need to reiterate the obvious again and again?

UNHWildCats
October 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM
ANOTHER?

USDFAN_55
October 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
that's not "Fan55" 's take . . it's from Matt Dougherty of The Sports Network.

Man, it must have taken some great detective work to figure that one out. I thought it was obviously done by a professional reporter, so I was assuming everyone else did as well. Next time I'll make sure to site my quotes properly.

gobucknell06
October 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
USD over Drake 46-14. Just curious, how many people here have actually seen USD play? I have.

Yale thought they were going to spank the Toreros and they got dismantled. And Yale has beaten some good opponents.

This is USD's year. They deserve to make the playoffs and get scheduled against Montana...even if they get destroyed by 50 points.

BigApp
October 19th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Hey, BIG APP....this is page 1 stuff!!!
:D :D :D :D :D
:hyped: :hyped: : retard : :hyped: :hyped:
:xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

AggiePride
October 19th, 2006, 01:56 PM
USD over Drake 46-14. Just curious, how many people here have actually seen USD play? I have.

Yale thought they were going to spank the Toreros and they got dismantled. And Yale has beaten some good opponents.

This is USD's year. They deserve to make the playoffs and get scheduled against Montana...even if they get destroyed by 50 points.
:pumpuke:

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
46-14 seems a little much. We'll see on Saturday, I guess.

October 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM
USD can back out of the UCD game if they choose but the PFL commish said the PFL champ is going to the Gridiron Classic and not the playoffs.

lucchesicourt
October 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
ralph, maybe that will be a good reason for USD to join the GWFC. Our commish won't tell a team they could not go to the playoffs.

October 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM
ralph, maybe that will be a good reason for USD to join the GWFC. Our commish won't tell a team they could not go to the playoffs.The commish's job is to do what the members say and the PFL and NEC agreed to the GC.

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
USD can back out of the UCD game if they choose but the PFL commish said the PFL champ is going to the Gridiron Classic and not the playoffs.

What date did she says that? Not sure if you caught the thread where I posted the newspaper article in which the USD AD said he spoke to all parties (teams, AD's, commish's) involved and he had the go ahead IF selected for the playoffs.

Again, I am not saying USD is going to the playoffs. In fact, I know we are not. Simply speaking about the specifics of how it would work. Here is the link again - just curious if you are refering to the 9-26-06 interview you conducted. The article linked is from 10-10-06....no need to get riled up, I'm just asking about the timing of the conversations that have taken place. Rational reply please....

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/10/10/opinion/01shanbaugh.txt

GOTOREROS

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I would love to be a fly on the wall when USD calls up ole Patty V and tells her that they would rather go to the playoffs than play in the Gridiron Classic. The folks at USD have certainly not been adverse to advertising their desires all over the press.... Patty V has also not been adverse to expressing her opinion.... Just what is a commish to do when she has such an obvious conflict of interest in getting her fully funded Gateway teams into the playoffs? Perhaps more interesting yet is will the other schools of the PFL back USD's desire to go to the playoffs, or will they torpedo USD's efforts? Sounds like a great football soap opera to me.... Something along the lines of "As the football turns" or something like that.xlolx

DUPFLFan
October 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't a Drake win torpedo the whole thing???

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I can see it now, Drake knocks off USD and then I have to spend all my time coming up with Drake for the playoffs posts.... Good luck to Drake this weekend, but I'm afraid you are going to see another UNI level team. Or better yet, Drake knocks off USD and then Dayton knocks off both Drake and USD and Davidson or Jacksonville wins the PFL.... I guess that is why we play the games....

DUPFLFan
October 19th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I can see it now, Drake knocks off USD and then I have to spend all my time coming up with Drake for the playoffs posts.... Good luck to Drake this weekend, but I'm afraid you are going to see another UNI level team. Or better yet, Drake knocks off USD and then Dayton knocks off both Drake and USD and Davidson or Jacksonville wins the PFL.... I guess that is why we play the games....

Two things.

1. Drake wants to go to the gridiron classic..

2. I don't think that SD is anywhere NEAR UNI. If you don't remember the scores during the last two years, please look them up.

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Two things.

2. I don't think that SD is anywhere NEAR UNI. If you don't remember the scores during the last two years, please look them up.

Well, Drake can play in the Gridiron Classic. The second place team will represent the PFL if USD is selected....:hurray:

http://www.pioneer-football.org/article.asp?articleid=81602

GOTOREROS

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Two things.

Agreed...I have a feeling USD is not a UNI level team...and UNI isn't even a playoff lock...

October 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM
What date did she says that? ...no need to get riled up, I'm just asking about the timing of the conversations that have taken place. Rational reply please....Excuse me? Riled up? Rational reply? :rolleyes:
1. the point is moot now because the GC is after Selection Sunday. Prior to today USD would have no assurance they were going to the playoffs prior to the GC or if the PFL and NEC would let the league champs skip the game in hopes of getting a bid.
2. she said that a couple weeks ago on I-AA WAVES

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Excuse me? Riled up? Rational reply? :rolleyes:
1. the point is moot now because the GC is after Selection Sunday. Prior to today USD would have no assurance they were going to the playoffs prior to the GC or if the PFL and NEC would let the league champs skip the game in hopes of getting a bid.

Man Ralph, you might as well make a shirt that says "Ralph Hates USD" :rolleyes:

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Excuse me? Riled up? Rational reply? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you seemed in an earlier posts upset that I had said that USD had worked out an arrangement to be able to participate in the playoffs IF selected. I posted this link http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/10/10/opinion/01shanbaugh.txt in which the USD AD said he had made arrangements that would allow USD to play in the playoffs. This article is from 10-10-06 not the 9-26-06 interview you did with Patty V. I tried to tell you things had changed since that conversation but I you and others tried to "inform" me I was out of my mind.....:rolleyes:

You know more than I about I-AA football in general, but its OK to admit that you were wrong on this one...

GOTOREROS

AggiePride
October 19th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Man Ralph, you might as well make a shirt that says "Ralph Hates USD" :rolleyes:

And to think when these USD threads popped up I accused Ralph of having a particular fondness for USD.

it's interesting how a bunch of loud fans and 1000 threads can change things :nod:

October 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry, but you seemed in an earlier posts upset that I had said that USD had worked out an arrangement to be able to participate in the playoffs IF selected. I posted this link http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/10/10/opinion/01shanbaugh.txt in which the USD AD said he had made arrangements that would allow USD to play in the playoffs. This article is from 10-10-06 not the 9-26-06 interview you did with Patty V. I tried to tell you things had changed since that conversation but I you and others tried to "inform" me I was out of my mind.....:rolleyes:

You know more than I about I-AA football in general, but its OK to admit that you were wrong on this one...Good then you can admit you are wrong. That article said nothing official at the time. The official word came today.

GOTOREROS
October 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Good then you can admit you are wrong. That article said nothing official at the time. The official word came today.

LOL - you going to parse words now? That's like when a coach is hired by someone and ESPN breaks the news but your the one guy who says well I'm going to wait till it's on university letterhead....whatever. If it makes you feel better "you win"....:rolleyes:

GOTOREROS

October 19th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That's like when a coach is hired by someone and ESPN breaks the news but your the one guy who says well I'm going to wait till it's on university letterhead....Yep, that's how I operate. Not how esPn does for sure! :D

SO ILLmatic
October 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Two things I know if the U of San Diego wins out and the NCAA selection committee gives them an at-large bid (even with their cupcake schedule).

1. There is one less spot for teams that should actually be in the final 16 of I-AA.

2. Whoever they play in the 1st round, they wont have the chance to run up the score like they did last week against Valpo.

ToreroTime
October 19th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Two things I know if the U of San Diego wins out and the NCAA selection committee gives them an at-large bid (even with their cupcake schedule).

1. There is one less spot for teams that should actually be in the final 16 of I-AA.

2. Whoever they play in the 1st round, they wont have the chance to run up the score like they did last week against Valpo.

I know San Diego will not blow out any team in the playoffs, I think all the players and fans ask for is a chance show the country what kind of football they are capable of playing. There is a lot of talent on this team with a excellent coachng staff.

And yes if USD did make the playoffs, some teams that might be deserving might miss out, but that is up to the committee to decide.

Stang Fever
October 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I know San Diego will not blow out any team in the playoffs, I think all the players and fans ask for is a chance show the country what kind of football they are capable of playing. There is a lot of talent on this team with a excellent coachng staff.

And yes if USD did make the playoffs, some teams that might be deserving might miss out, but that is up to the committee to decide.

What better time is there to show the country what they are made of. by playing some good teams. TIRED of hearing this. You have full control of who you play before the playoffs start. so next year when USD is telling everyone that they got robbed for not being in the playoffs, cause it wont happen this year. maybe we will see an upgraded schedule. There are so many teams that you can play from three defferent conf. on the west. BIG SKY, Great West, Southland, just pick two teams from that list and play yale and then you will have an arguement. beating sorry teams year in and year out does not mean you get in. Play some teams that have done something in say the past 5 years had at lest one good season and beat them and yes you can say you played someone. but playing these cupcakes and winning by 50 pts doesnt mean you are good. means you have not played anyone. Case in point Hampton. teams they play are sorry. and what have they done in the playoffs lately.

The only way USD gets in is if the NEC gets the auto bid over the MEAC

DetroitFlyer
October 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Hampton gets invited to the playoffs....

89Hen
October 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM
:nod: Read the rules.

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2006, 07:42 AM

An autobid is not an invite

cosmo here
October 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Man, it must have taken some great detective work to figure that one out. I thought it was obviously done by a professional reporter, so I was assuming everyone else did as well. Next time I'll make sure to site my quotes properly.

Torero Tradition seemed to think it was yours, I was just pointing that out. No slight at you.

USDFAN_55
October 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Torero Tradition seemed to think it was yours, I was just pointing that out. No slight at you.
No problem.... I was just being a smart ass.:rotateh: