PDA

View Full Version : College Football Hall of Fame Ballot Announced

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I received my ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame about 90 minutes ago. It is going to be tough voting for the FCS candidates this year, because the National Football Foundation (which administers the vote) has done such a poor job of making sure FCS candidates are inducted each year. We seem to get someone in about every other year, even though there are stellar candidates both in the player and coaching sections. The more years that go by without candidates being inducted, the more clutter of deserving candidates there are on the ballot, making the job of the voters all the more difficult.

Here is the official release on the ballot:

http://www.footballfoundation.org/News/NewsDetail/tabid/567/Article/54671/2014-college-football-hall-of-fame-ballot-released.aspx

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Some interesting names are on the coaching ballot for FCS, with Jerry Moore of Appalachian State and Jim Tressel of Youngstown State making their first appearance on the ballot. Also, it is interesting that Tressel is listed on the FCS portion and not the FBS portion of the ballot, something that will likely keep another worthy candidate from being elected (you can only vote for two in this category and it also includes coaches from the D-II, D-III and NAIA ranks).

I will not be voting for Tressel, because of his scandals. There is a character provision that we are asked to consider and I think Tressel falls short in that regard, though he is richly deserving for his coaching success.

I have voted for Rudy Hubbard of Florida A&M, Bill Bowes of New Hampshire and John Whitehead of Lehigh in the past. Hard to understand why Hubbard wasn't elected years ago (Bowes and Whitehead are also deserving).

This year, I will likely vote for Hubbard again and Jerry Moore (what a contrast of character between Moore and Tressel).

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 11:55 AM
On the player side of the FCS ballot, here are the candidates and their bios. Let's start some discussion. Tell me who you would vote for and why. We are allowed to vote for two.

2014 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION PLAYER CANDIDATE CAPSULE BIOSArchie Amerson, Northern Arizona-Running Back-Named First Team All-American in 1996…Finished as school’s all-time career rushing leader despite only playing two seasons (3,196 yards)…1996 Walter Payton Award recipient as Division I-AA’s most outstanding offensive player… Led NAU to its first-ever I-AA playoff appearance.

Rennie Benn, Lehigh-Wide Receiver-Named First Team All-America in 1985…Currently ranks second in NCAA Division I-AA history in touchdown receptions (44), behind only Jerry Rice…Ranks seventh in Division I-AA history in career receiving yards (3,662).

Carl Boyd, Northern Iowa-Running Back-Named First Team All-America in 1987…Selected First Team All-Conference and Offensive Player of the Year in 1987…In 1987, he was Conference Player of the Week four times…Two-time team captain…Totaled 2,735 career rushing yards and 1,987 receiving yards.

Joe Campbell, Middle Tennessee State-Running Back-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1990-91)…A three-time First Team All-Conference pick, he was named OVC Player of the Year in 1990…Led the team in rushing all four years.

Bruce Collie, Texas-Arlington-Offensive Tackle-Named First Team All-America in 1984…Led UTA to 1981 Southland Conference title…Three-time All-SLC selection…Played six seasons in the NFL with San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Case deBruijn, Idaho State-Punter-Named First Team All-America in 1981…Twice led the nation in punting (1980-81) and was twice the runner up (1978-79)… Season average of 45.9 in 1981 is third all-time in I-AA.

John Dorsey, Connecticut-Linebacker-Named First Team All-America in 1983…Led the team in tackles from 1981-83…Two-time Yankee Conference Defensive Player of the Year (1982-83).

Tom Ehrhardt, Rhode Island-Quarterback-Named First Team All-America in 1985…Named Yankee Conference Player of the Year, First Team All-Conference, and First Team All-New England in 1985…Member of the URI Hall of Fame.

Curtis Eller, Villanova-Linebacker-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1991-92) and was named National Defensive Player of the Year by The Sporting News in 1992…A three-time First Team All-Conference, he twice earned Yankee Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Richard Erenberg, Colgate-Running Back-Named First Team All-America in 1983…Broke 12 Division I-AA records…Selected as ECAC Player of the Year in 1983…All-time leading rusher in Colgate history…Two-time recipient of the Andy Kerr Award signifying Colgate’s MVP (1982-83).

Don Griffin, Middle Tennessee State-Safety-1985 First Team All-America and Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year…Three-time First Team All-Conference selection…Recorded 210 tackles, 13 career interceptions, and held school record for interceptions in a game (3).

Don Hass, Montana State-Halfback-Two-time First Team All-America and First Team All-Conference selection (1966-67)…Set or matched seven conference records…Holds nine school single-season rushing records, including 1,460 yards in a season.

Conway Hayman, Delaware-Offensive Guard-Named First Team All-America in 1970…Two-time First Team All-Conference selection (1969-70)…Led team to two conference titles and three Lambert Cup Eastern Championships.

John Hill, Lehigh-Center-Named First Team All-America in 1971…Recipient of Football Roundup Magazine’s College Division Exemplary Player Award…Named First Team All-ECAC and New York Times All-East in 1971.

John Huard, Maine-Linebacker-Two-time First Team All-America and First Team All-Conference selection (1965-66)…Led Maine to its first postseason game, the Tangerine Bowl in 1964.
Rene Ingoglia, Massachusetts-Running Back-Finished career ranked second all-time in FCS history in TDs (54) and as school’s all-time leader in rushing (4,624) and carries (905) among others…First UMass player to average more than 100 ypg rushing in career.

Garry Kuhlman, Delaware-Offensive Tackle-Two-time First Team All-America and All-ECAC selection (1980-81)…His 1979 team led all Division I-AA teams in scoring with 35.5 points and 405.5 yards total offense per game.

Steve McAdoo, Middle Tennessee State-Offensive Lineman-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1991-92)…Earned Third Team All-America honors by the Associated Press in 1990…Three-time First Team All-Conference pick.

Bill McGovern, Holy Cross-Defensive Back-Named First Team All-America in 1984…Led the nation in interceptions (11) in 1984…Set Division I-AA career interception record with 24…Two-time All-ECAC performer (1983-84)…Named 1984 team captain.

Robert Morris, Georgetown-Defensive End-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1973-74)…Member of the Georgetown Hall of Fame and the National Slavic Honor Society.

John Ogles, Austin Peay State-Fullback-Named First Team All-America in 1966…Two-time First Team All-Conference selection (1965-66)…One of two players to have jersey retired at Austin Peay…Member of the Ohio Valley Conference and APSU Athletic Halls of Fame.

Chris Parker, Marshall-Running Back-1995 First Team All-America pick…Member of 1992 national championship team, leading MU back to national title game in 1993 and ’95 (national runner-up)…Recorded 31 games with at least 100 yards rushing en route to finishing career with 5,924 rushing yards and 68 touchdowns.

Michael Payton, Marshall-Quarterback-1992 First Team All-America selection and Walter Payton Award winner…Led Herd to 1992 National Championship and appearance in 1991 national title game…Two-time Southern Conference Player of the Year…Passed for over 10,000 yards in career.

Martin Peterson, Pennsylvania-Offensive Tackle-Named First Team All-America, First Team All-Conference and First Team All-ECAC in 1986…His teams won three conference titles.

Charlie Pierce, Central Florida-Punter / Placekicker-Named First Team All-America…Career record holder at UCF for punts (173), punt yardage (7,111) and points scored (297)… Helped UCF to FCS playoffs in 1993.

Michael Renna, Delaware-Defensive End-Two-time First Team All-America, All-Conference and All-ECAC selection (1988-89)…Delaware’s Outstanding Senior Male Athlete in 1990…Finished career as the 10th leading tackler in school history with 205.

Kirk Roach, Western Carolina-Placekicker-Three-time First Team All-America selection (1984-86)…Four-time First Team All-Conference pick…Holds five Division I-AA kicking records, 10 conference records and 18 school records…Missed only one extra point in four years.

Terry Schmidt, Ball State-Defensive Back-Named First Team All-America in 1973 when he set a single-season school record with 13 interceptions…Team MVP as a senior…Played in the Coaches All-America Game and the East-West Shrine Game.

Larry Schreiber, Tennessee Tech-Running Back-Named First Team All-America in 1969…Set an NCAA record for most career rushes with 877…Set six conference records…Currently ranks second on the conference all-time rushing list with 4,421 yards.

Steve Schubert, Massachusetts-Wide Receiver-Named First Team All-America in 1972…Averaged 81.9 yards receiving per game in 1972, which ranks fourth on the school record list…Holds school record for average yards per catch in a season in with 20.1 in 1972.

Joe Skladany, Lafayette-Linebacker-Named First Team All-America in 1981…Lettered four years and was named team Rookie of the Year in 1978…Twice named Lafayette Player of the Year…Member of the Lafayette Hall of Fame.

Leonard Smith, McNeese State-Cornerback-Named First Team All-America in 1982…Two-time All-Southland Conference selection…Named conference Defensive Player of the Year in 1982…Named McNeese MVP and Louisiana Defensive Player of the Year in 1982.

Tom Stenglein, Colgate-Wide Receiver-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1984-85)…Two-time First Team All-ECAC, pick (1984-85)…Colgate’s all-time leader in receptions in a game (12), season (67) and career (144).

Freddie Thomas, Troy (formerly Troy State)-Defensive Back-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1986-87) and helped lead Troy State to the National Championship in 1987…A two-time First Team All-Conference pick, he was named team captain in 1987.

Markus Thomas, Eastern Kentucky-Tailback-Finished career ranked third all-time in FCS history in rushing (5,149)…Two-time Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player of the Year who led team to two conference titles…52 career rushing TDs.

Billy Thompson, Maryland Eastern Shore-Defensive Back-1968 First Team All-America selection…Four-year letterman, who was named team MVP as a senior…Three-time CIAA All-Conference selection…1984 UMES Hall of Fame inductee.

Lee White, Weber State-Fullback-Named First Team All-America and First Team All-Conference in 1967…Rushing and scoring champion of the Big Sky Conference in 1967…Member of the Big Sky Silver Anniversary Team.

John Zanieski, Yale-Middle Guard-Named First Team All-America and First Team All-Ivy League in 1984…Selected as the team’s MVP in 1984…Finished second on school’s quarterback sack list with 21.

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Here are the coaching bios of the FCS candidates:

Bill Bowes-New Hampshire (1972-98)-Won more games than any coach in Yankee Conference history…Claimed 11 conference titles and was a multiple winner of the District I Coach of the Year award…He was the recipient of the Distinguished Contribution to Football Award by the New Hampshire Chapter of the NFF.

Jim Feix-Western Kentucky (1968-83)-Named Kodak College Coach of the Year for Division IV in 1973 and 1975…Won or shared six conference titles…Three-time conference Coach of the Year (1973, 1978, 1980)…The winningest coach in school history…Charter member of the school Athletic Hall of Fame.

Rudy Hubbard-Florida A&M (1974-85)-Captured back-to-back national championships, 1977 and 1978, including the inaugural NCAA Division I-AA National Title in 1978… Led A&M to back-to-back SIAC championships.

Jerry Moore-North Texas (1979-80), Texas Tech (1981-85), Appalachian State (1989-2012)-Led Mountaineers to three consecutive FCS national titles from 2005-07 and boasts FCS record of 13-straight postseason victories in contiguous years (2005-08)…Most wins in school history who posted 10 SoCon championships…Only DI coach to win AFCA Coach of the Year honors three years in a row.

Clyde “Buck” Starbeck-Northern Iowa (1936-42, 1945-57)-Captured seven conference championships in 10 years…Went 31 consecutive conference games without a defeat…Member of the University of Northern Iowa Hall of Fame.

Jim Tressel-Youngstown State (1986-2000), Ohio State (2001-2010)-
Led teams to nine national title game appearances, winning four FCS championships with Youngstown State and one BCS championship with Ohio State…Led Buckeyes to six Big Ten titles and coached 73 First Team All-Americans during career…Two-time Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year, winning one at the FBS and one at FCS level.

John Whitehead-Lehigh (1976-86)-
Named Division II Coach of the Year in 1977 and Division I-AA Coach of the Year in 1979…Captured the 1977 Division II National Championship…Runner-up in the 1979 Division I-AA National Championship.

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Additionally, here are some names of other players from current and former FCS schools that are on other portions of the ballot:

Charlie Gogolak, Princeton-Placekicker-1965 First Team All-American…Set seven NCAA records and led Princeton to an 8-1 season (1965)… Two-time First Team All-Ivy…Holds four school records…Helped popularize the soccer-style technique in the kicking game. (I have voted for Gogolak EVERY year since I've had a vote, because he is such a football pioneer. He and his brother Pete — and Montana State's Jan Stenerud — revolutionized the kicking game).

Peter Catan, Eastern Illinois-Defensive End-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1979-80)…Member of the 1978 Division II National Championship team…Holds school record for quarterback sacks in a game (six), season (21) and career (47). (I've voted for Caten in the past)

Jim Ferge, North Dakota State-Linebacker / Def. Tackle-Two-time First Team All-America and All-Conference selection (1967-68)…Named conference Most Valuable Lineman in 1968…Selected as team captain and MVP in 1968.

Darwin Gonnerman, South Dakota State-Running Back-Two-time First Team All-America and All-Conference selection (1967-68)…Led conference in scoring and rushing in 1967…Named conference Back of the Year in 1968…Set 13 school records during his career.

Don Greco, Western Illinois-Offensive Guard-Named First Team All-America in 1980…Two-time First Team All-Conference selection – winning the conference’s Lineman of the Year award in 1980…A 1980 team captain, he was twice named Western Illinois’ MVP.

Pat Hauser, Cal State-Northridge-Offensive Tackle-Two-time First Team All-America and All-Conference selection (1982-83)… Four-year starter and letterman.

Bobby Hedrick, Elon-Running Back-Named First Team All-America in 1980…Ranked second in NCAA history in career rushing yards (5,604), among all divisions, at career’s end (behind only Tony Dorsett). (Great, great small-schools player, who led Elon to a national championship).

Louis Jackson, Cal Poly S.L.O.-Running Back-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1978-80)…Member of the 1980 Division II National Championship team…Holds school records for yards rushing in a career (3,444), season (1,463) and game (267). (Jackson is from my hometown, Fresno, CA. — we used to play his Roosevelt High School every year at Central High — and I also saw him play in college. I vote for him every year, too).

Chuck Downey, Stony Brook-Safety-1987 First Team All-America selection…Recorded 239 tackles and 13 interceptions on defense…First player in Division III history to achieve 1,000 yards on both punt and kickoff returns in a career…Currently holds 12 NCAA Division III records and 23 school records. (Terrific D-III player who gets my vote every year).

Fran McDermott, St. Mary’s (Calif.)-Defensive Back-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1979-80)…Played in the 1981 Japan Bowl. Four-year starter and letterman…Holds school records for most interceptions in a career (21), season (8) and game (4).

Alonzo Patterson, Wagner -Running Back-Two-time First Team All-America selection (1981-82)…Finished fourth on the NCAA leading rusher list for all divisions in 1981, leading Division III with 1,487 yards…Three-time ECAC Player of the Year (1980-82). (I've voted for Patterson in the past).

Pard4Life
March 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Wow, Gogolak has to be in... surprised he was not already. The Simpsons spoofed him I believe.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Reading some of these names has started making me feel old.

bulldog10jw
March 6th, 2014, 01:28 PM
On the player side of the FCS ballot, here are the candidates and their bios. Let's start some discussion. Tell me who you would vote for and why. We are allowed to vote for two.

John Zanieski, Yale-Middle Guard-Named First Team All-America and First Team All-Ivy League in 1984…Selected as the team’s MVP in 1984…Finished second on school’s quarterback sack list with 21.

John Zanieski was an excellent player for Yale on some mediocre teams.

But my most vivid memory of him was a game against Penn at Franklin Field in 1984. Penn was just starting to become a power and Yale was coming off a terrible season in 1983 and was actually in contention in '84 at the time. The game was very close, in the 2nd half, and Yale had just stopped a Penn drive, or so they thought. Zanieski was called for roughing the passer. The ref happened to throw the flag right at John's feet. In protest Zanieski picked up the flag and threw it back at the ref. Boom. Another 15 yards.

So instead of being forced to punt, Penn, with the help of 30 yards in penalties, ended up scoring and won, I think 27-14.

Of course, we all thought the roughing call was bogus, and Penn really was the better team, but no one blamed John for throwing that flag at the ref. It was a natural reaction to a BS call. And pretty funny.

CrazyCat
March 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM
My vote would be for the "Iron Tumbleweed"

DFW HOYA
March 6th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Wow, Gogolak has to be in... surprised he was not already. The Simpsons spoofed him I believe.

I was surprised Eric Dickerson isn't in.

Sader87
March 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Erenberg was a beast at Colgate...was a RB for the Steelers for a few years too.

"Whitey" McGovern gets my vote as well but I'm biased. xsmiley_wix

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 05:53 PM
John Zanieski was an excellent player for Yale on some mediocre teams.

But my most vivid memory of him was a game against Penn at Franklin Field in 1984. Penn was just starting to become a power and Yale was coming off a terrible season in 1983 and was actually in contention in '84 at the time. The game was very close, in the 2nd half, and Yale had just stopped a Penn drive, or so they thought. Zanieski was called for roughing the passer. The ref happened to throw the flag right at John's feet. In protest Zanieski picked up the flag and threw it back at the ref. Boom. Another 15 yards.

So instead of being forced to punt, Penn, with the help of 30 yards in penalties, ended up scoring and won, I think 27-14.

Of course, we all thought the roughing call was bogus, and Penn really was the better team, but no one blamed John for throwing that flag at the ref. It was a natural reaction to a BS call. And pretty funny.
Great story, Bulldog. I'd love to hear stories like that on all of these Hall of Fame candidates, even the ones who played on teams that were in other divisions for now-FCS teams. Come up with some other good ones and I'll use them in a College-Sports-Journal.com column.

- - - Updated - - -

My vote would be for the "Iron Tumbleweed"
So who is the Iron Tumbleweed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I have a book about the Gogolak family and remember reading as a youngster about their escape from Hungary during the 1956 rebellion against Communism. It made a big impact on me as a kid.

Charlie Gogolak from Princeton (brother Pete went to Cornell) was a first-round draft pick for Otto Graham and the Washington Redskins, sixth overall, in the 1966 NFL Draft. The Kansas City Chiefs drafted him in the seventh round, 56th overall, the same year. Of course, the Chiefs didn't sign him and then got Jan Stenerud about a year later out of Montana State.

There was a game that I remember the Gogolak brothers played in Charlie's rookie season where Washington beat New York 72-41 (Nov. 27, 1966) that was a record for points combined at that time. Charlie Gogolak hit 9-of-10 extra points (missing his first one of the day) and added a field goal late in the game to finish with 12 points. Pete Gogolak hit 5-of-6 extra points during the game and missed a pair of field goals. Believe it, or not, all of that scoring and Sonny Jurgensen and Gary Wood (the two QBs) only threw a combined 28 passes that day. Wood got picked off five times (three times by Brig Owens) while completing 7-of-12 passes to his own 1-12-1 Giants. Yes, that means none of Wood's passes were incomplete. Remarkable game that I remember getting the updates on that Sunday. Ironically, the Giants won their only game of the season earlier in the year against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium, 13-10. Go figure. Pete had two field goals and an extra point to offset Charlie's field goal and an extra point in that one.

Green26
March 7th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Great story, Bulldog. I'd love to hear stories like that on all of these Hall of Fame candidates, even the ones who played on teams that were in other divisions for now-FCS teams. Come up with some other good ones and I'll use them in a College-Sports-Journal.com column.

- - - Updated - - -

So who is the Iron Tumbleweed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don Hass of Montana State was known as the Iron Tumbleweed. Mid-to-late 60's. Number retired by MSU. Think he was from Glendive, Montana. Think he overlapped with Jan Stenerud and Dennis Erickson. Stenerud's number was retired too. Set ncaa record with 59 yard FG. As a junior high and high school kid in Bozeman, I watched these guys play alot.

My buddy and teammate from Dartmouth was admitted a number of years ago. Great player and great guy. We'll be skiing together at Deer Valley in 2 weeks. See his blurb.

Murry "The Reckless Rover" Bowdenhttp://www.footballfoundation.org/Portals/7/nff/image_HOF_player/90043_1.jpgDetails

Position: Linebacker
School: Dartmouth
High School: Snyder, TX (Snyder HS)
Years: 1968-1970
Inducted: 2003
Place of Birth: Colorado City, TX
Date of Birth: Feb 11, 1949
Jersey Number: 10
Height: 5-11
Weight: 185

Member BiographyAt 5-11, 185-pounds, Murry Bowden was an undersized, yet strong linebacker whose quickness made him perfect as a roverback in Dartmouth's 5-2-4 defense. His penchant for being all over the field supporting the run, or defending the pass, earned him the title of the "Reckless Rover." Bowden was as likely to be found at the line making a tackle for a loss, or deep in the secondary making an interception.His hard-hitting style resulted in both knee and shoulder injuries that required him to wear a specially designed brace to keep his shoulder in place.During his junior and senior seasons, the Big Green won the Ivy League title, the first two of an eventual string of five consecutive Ivy crowns. His team's record for those two years was 17-1. The undefeated 1970 team was the last Ivy League school to be rated among the nation's top 20 teams placing 13th and 14th in the two polls. That season the Dartmouth defense ranked in the nation's top ten in seven statistical categories including first in scoring defense and second in total defense.After graduation he returned to his native Texas to begin a successful business career.

citdog
March 7th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Brian Ruff?

March 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I have a book about the Gogolak family and remember reading as a youngster about their escape from Hungary during the 1956 rebellion against Communism. It made a big impact on me as a kid.

Charlie Gogolak from Princeton (brother Pete went to Cornell) was a first-round draft pick for Otto Graham and the Washington Redskins, sixth overall, in the 1966 NFL Draft. The Kansas City Chiefs drafted him in the seventh round, 56th overall, the same year. Of course, the Chiefs didn't sign him and then got Jan Stenerud about a year later out of Montana State.

There was a game that I remember the Gogolak brothers played in Charlie's rookie season where Washington beat New York 72-41 (Nov. 27, 1966) that was a record for points combined at that time. Charlie Gogolak hit 9-of-10 extra points (missing his first one of the day) and added a field goal late in the game to finish with 12 points. Pete Gogolak hit 5-of-6 extra points during the game and missed a pair of field goals. Believe it, or not, all of that scoring and Sonny Jurgensen and Gary Wood (the two QBs) only threw a combined 28 passes that day. Wood got picked off five times (three times by Brig Owens) while completing 7-of-12 passes to his own 1-12-1 Giants. Yes, that means none of Wood's passes were incomplete. Remarkable game that I remember getting the updates on that Sunday. Ironically, the Giants won their only game of the season earlier in the year against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium, 13-10. Go figure. Pete had two field goals and an extra point to offset Charlie's field goal and an extra point in that one.
With the score 69-41, Otto Graham sent Charlie in to kick the field goal. When asked why, he said Charlie "needed the practice".

bulldog10jw
March 7th, 2014, 12:56 PM

If I remember correctly, when Charlie was kicking for Princeton and was considered pretty much automatic, I believe it was Dartmouth that had two players stand on the shoulders of two other players to block the kick. Now, I know that is illegal and probably was at the time, but I remember seeing the picture in the paper. Whether it was stopped at the time or he tried to kick through it, I couldn't tell you.

Sader87
March 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM
If I remember correctly, when Charlie was kicking for Princeton and was considered pretty much automatic, I believe it was Dartmouth that had two players stand on the shoulders of two other players to block the kick. Now, I know that is illegal and probably was at the time, but I remember seeing the picture in the paper. Whether it was stopped at the time or he tried to kick through it, I couldn't tell you.

http://library.thinkquest.org/12590/cornell.htm

It was actually Cornell bulldog but I think Dartmouth did something similar...remember seeing a similar picture of an Indian flying on top of one of the down lineman trying to block a Princeton FGA

bulldog10jw
March 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM

It was actually Cornell bulldog but I think Dartmouth did something similar...remember seeing a similar picture of an Indian flying on top of one of the down lineman trying to block a Princeton FGA

Thanks, Sader. I guess my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Sandlapper Spike
March 8th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Brian Ruff?

He should (rather obviously) be in the College Hall of Fame, but is a victim of being lumped in to the "major college" category as opposed to the FCS classification. He is more qualified than most of the 1980s FCS candidates, but since he played prior to the split he doesn't have the luxury of being grouped with those players.

It does not help that the SoCon has not elected him to the league's Hall of Fame, but that is just another example of the conference's ineptitude when it comes to its own Hall.

---

It goes without saying, but Erk Russell's absence from the College Hall of Fame is a huge failure on the part of that entity and its rules for eligibility.

buffalobill
March 8th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Jim Ferge was a top defensive player for NDSU back in the mid to late sixties. At that time he could have played with, for, and against anybody at any level. NDSU should have moved up back then.

CrunchGriz
March 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Where the hell is Dave Dickenson on this list?

blueballs
March 9th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Parker and Griffin would be my selections....

Great thread.

Go...gate
March 9th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Saw Gogolak play many times for Princeton. He had a hell of a strong leg - Princeton was a threat to score any time they got hear the opponents's 40 yard-line and also great on kickoffs - and was also an outstanding student.

Go...gate
March 9th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Erenberg was a beast at Colgate...was a RB for the Steelers for a few years too.

"Whitey" McGovern gets my vote as well but I'm biased. xsmiley_wix

Agree with both. Though both Erenberg and Stenglein were outstanding players, Erenberg should get the nod, IMO.

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
He should (rather obviously) be in the College Hall of Fame, but is a victim of being lumped in to the "major college" category as opposed to the FCS classification. He is more qualified than most of the 1980s FCS candidates, but since he played prior to the split he doesn't have the luxury of being grouped with those players.

It does not help that the SoCon has not elected him to the league's Hall of Fame, but that is just another example of the conference's ineptitude when it comes to its own Hall.

---

It goes without saying, but Erk Russell's absence from the College Hall of Fame is a huge failure on the part of that entity and its rules for eligibility.

Good points. And thanks for the education on another thread on the SoCon selection choices.

Green26
March 11th, 2014, 06:13 AM

You are correct. Dartmouth also did it. Dartmouth was 1 of 2 on blocking his kicks doing this. See linked photo and short blurb. http://books.google.com/books?id=jboJTyrkJagC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=dartmouth+princeton+football+gogolak&source=bl&ots=XBGfHlQ2Iq&sig=xwqD2SBpmbm6Jfj5XVrkhsukZWk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1-4eU_SRE8nyoASyoIGYAQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=dartmouth%20princeton%20football%20gogolak&f=false

Dartmouth won the game. Both teams came into the game undefeated. Dartmouth won the Lambert Trophy that year. Look at the huge crowd in the background of the photo. Game was at Princeton. Last game of year.

Cocky
March 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I was surprised Eric Dickerson isn't in.
Most of his votes when straight to the pro hall of fame. Eric didn't play much without pay.

Canyoncat
March 11th, 2014, 05:51 PM
The "Iron Tumbleweed" was Don Hass. HB for Montana State, two time first team All-American. Number retired by MSU from Glendive, MT. I am surprised he isn't in the Hall already. Played in the mid 1960's.

Give him a vote Mr C!

Sader87
March 11th, 2014, 09:41 PM
You are correct. Dartmouth also did it. Dartmouth was 1 of 2 on blocking his kicks doing this. See linked photo and short blurb. http://books.google.com/books?id=jboJTyrkJagC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=dartmouth+princeton+football+gogolak&source=bl&ots=XBGfHlQ2Iq&sig=xwqD2SBpmbm6Jfj5XVrkhsukZWk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1-4eU_SRE8nyoASyoIGYAQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=dartmouth%20princeton%20football%20gogolak&f=false

Dartmouth won the game. Both teams came into the game undefeated. Dartmouth won the Lambert Trophy that year. Look at the huge crowd in the background of the photo. Game was at Princeton. Last game of year.

Thanks Green26.. my Dad (who did his medical residency in dermatology at the Mary Hitchcock from '64-'66) had one of those "1965 Dartmouth Football Season Review" programs and I remember seeing that picture as a kid. He was a Sader too but came to adopt Dartmouth as his second love.

Mr. C
March 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Where the hell is Dave Dickenson on this list?
I don't believe, according to eligibility rules, that Dickenson has been retired long enough from his pro career to be considered. He would jump to the head of the class on my ballot as soon as he is eligible. I rank Dickenson, Tracy Ham, Armanti Edwards and Steve McNair as the Mount Rushmore of FCS quarterbacks when you consider solely their college careers.

Mr. C
March 13th, 2014, 02:07 PM

---

I've been one of the ones behind the scenes, who has tried to work on Erk Russell's behalf. I was even part of a petition drive about him a couple of years back. The eligibility rules on Russell negate him because of longevity, but it fails to account for the years he spent building the Georgia Southern program before it even started playing. There should be enough loopholes to get Russell in someday, or I'll become a lot more militant about it with my inside sources. Hopefully someday, there will be panels of people like myself looking at FCS, Division II, Division III and NAIA by themselves, instead of one big panel that doesn't know what the heck happened below FBS.

Ruff and Hass are both in a similar situation on different ends of the spectrum. The same thing applies to Charlie Gogolak not being elected yet. Hass should be lumped with Division II, as should others on the list. That would make it easier for him to get in. Ruff and Gogolak are competing with the top group of candidates, who are a lot of times better known. That is why you need the right people involved with the panels.

We also need for the National Football Foundation to be transparent with its inner-workings of the vote and to actually release vote totals.