PDA

View Full Version : Radio Host Suggests Jackson State Should Leave the SWAC

WestCoastAggie
March 5th, 2014, 12:22 PM
https://soundcloud.com/jay-white-14/swac-gonna-let-errybody-play

The SWAC is receiving harsh criticism for its decision to allow ineligible teams to participate in this month's basketball tournament. Mississippi This Morning radio show host Jay White lit into the conference for its decision this morning, calling it "the dumbest league on earth."

White went on to say that Jackson State was killing itself slowly by its association with the SWAC.

"The SWAC doesn't respect JSU. The SWAC treats JSU like that semi-ugly girl at the bar. They can hit on every hot girl in the bar and strike out all night long, but that they can always go home with that semi hot girl. And for the SWAC, Jackson State is that semi-hot girl."

http://www.hbcugameday.com/2014/03/radio-host-calls-swac-dumbest-league-on.html

clenz
March 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM
The SWAC seems to have a **** ton of issues...all around...and I wouldn't want to be associated with it in anyway if it were my school.

If the HBCU thing is a big deal talk to the MEAC...or any of the other conferences that are HBCU though I'm not sure leaving D1 is something that they want to do.

I've wanted to start a thread on the SWAC asking what the **** is wrong with it regarding APR, money, etc... but didn't know if I really wanted to open that can of worms

lionsrking2
March 5th, 2014, 01:39 PM
My guess is the Southland would welcome Jackson State with open arms ... expands the footprint into another state ... Jackson is relatively close to all four Louisiana SLC schools, as well as UCA ... they have good facilities, and not to mention a very loyal fan base that travels. Not sure they would travel as well as they do to traditional opponents, but they would still travel well, nonetheless.

FargoBison
March 5th, 2014, 02:08 PM
JSU should leave, the SWAC is a mess.

BluBengal07
March 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM
i believe once Jackson State builds their new home(the dome, hopefully), they would be created a similar ticket like ASU in exploring their beyond options. JSU has completely revamped its football coaches and their quality. 2014(new system), 2015, 2016 season are going to be something different. Southland Conference would be the best choice, outside of independent.

JROCK
March 5th, 2014, 06:06 PM
The SWAC will continue to see other conferences come and go........The sky is not falling...

ursus arctos horribilis
March 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM
The SWAC will continue to see other conferences come and go........The sky is not falling...

This is probably correct but it certainly appears there are some major problems coming forth right now. Does it appear from your perspective that things are as normal right now or problems may be upcoming that need some serious attention pretty quickly?

JROCK
March 5th, 2014, 07:40 PM
This is probably correct but it certainly appears there are some major problems coming forth right now. Does it appear from your perspective that things are as normal right now or problems may be upcoming that need some serious attention pretty quickly?

There is no doubt the APR situtation needs to be managed much better and resources need to be shifted to facilitate it. It disgust me that Southern U talented basketball program will not get a chance to compete in the NCAA Tourney or the NIT.

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
There is no doubt the APR situtation needs to be managed much better and resources need to be shifted to facilitate it. It disgust me that Southern U talented basketball program will not get a chance to compete in the NCAA Tourney or the NIT.

Many of the problems for all low major schools is the lack of quality people in key positions whether they be compliance (as seen in this issue and recent one at Southeastern La) or quite frankly - any position. It comes down to the cost of doing business...

Poor decision-making and hiring practices a few years back cost the Southern of today. A shame because we saw what those guys did v Gonzaga last year. Roman Banks is going to be successful and he's going to be hired somewhere else. Not sure where, but he's a quality coach for the taking.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 6th, 2014, 09:25 AM
To me, bar none, the NCAA's ham-fisted implementation of the APR has done more harm to SWAC schools than anything, and it unfairly tags these schools with a scarlet letter that they do not deserve.

The APR is essentially a make-work program for big schools to chase their athletes around to hound them into getting decent grades. The collateral damage of this is that it unfairly pushes the resource-poor schools, such as the SWAC schools but not exclusively SWAC schools, into phony "APR violations" and asking them to alter their schools' missions in order to play Division I athletics.

The question should not be tut-tutting the SWAC for allowing their "ineligible" schools from playing in the postseason tournament. It is, and always should have been, about why the APR exists in the first place.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 6th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I don't know if this would apply to SWAC schools, but I think there should be a rule that institutions should not have to graduate athletes at a higher rate than their institution's general student population.

WestCoastAggie
March 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I would not be surprised if the Southland Conference invited Jackson State into their conference by 2016.

The 10 SWAC presidents voted on whether to include the ineligible teams along with the six eligible teams from the tournament. Alabama State president Gwendolyn Boyd and Jackson State president Carolyn Meyers were the only two who voted to exclude the four.

JSU released a statement from Meyers to The Clarion-Ledger, saying, “This is about being committed to our scholar athlete.”

“We were penalized two years ago because our Academic Progress Rate was below the standard, but now we have no academic issues with any of our athletic programs,” Meyers said. “What we have done to improve our student-athletes’ academic performance is something the other schools can do as well.”

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2014/03/04/swac-lifts-postseason-ban-allows-4-ineligible-to-play-in-tourny/?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I would not be surprised if the Southland Conference invited Jackson State into their conference by 2016.

There's an opening now for a 14th member with Oral Roberts on the way out.

Having a foot in Mississippi would not be a negative thing, especially for all those La. schools that recruit that way anyway. It would also keep travel costs lower since you could legitimately do a decent divisional alignment in which JSU is coupled with the La. schools and Central Arkansas across all sports. JSU would still be able to play the SWAC schools OOC.

Where is JSU's alumni base located? Sizable portions in Houston and New Orleans? They'd get to play all sports in those area annually with football games routinely within an hour of both cities too. Still would like to see a DFW area school back in league.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 6th, 2014, 01:47 PM
The SLC has had more instability and turnover in it than Blockbuster Videos.

Incarnate Word?

Who's the next school to leave? Sam Houston?

WestCoastAggie
March 6th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Alabama State isn't happy with the SWAC either. They are also rumored to be looking over options regarding a new conference for their sports teams.

In a statement given exclusively to AL.com, Boyd explained her rationale for going against the grain.

"Alabama State University is committed to the academic success of all of its students, which includes all student-athletes," Boyd said. "Our primary goal is to support the teaching, research and service mission of the University to support our students.

My decision to vote against the change in the SWAC's by-laws was solely based on my support of academics as the number - one priority for all student -athletes within the SWAC. All student - athletes should be thought of and treated as students first."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/alabama_state_president_gwendo.html

813Jag
March 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Not to divert from the topic too much, but what did Southern is was as others have stated poor leadership from the prior AD, and lack of capable people in the compliance dept. Even though Stump Mitchell wasn't a good on the field coach, he did a great job of getting those kids to go to class as well as recruiting kids that wanted to learn and play sports. Same goes for Coach Banks, he took a program that had no stability and got it back on the right track. That being said I believe that each SWAC school has to make strides to make moves that best suits them.

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
The SLC has had more instability and turnover in it than Blockbuster Videos. Incarnate Word? Who's the next school to leave? Sam Houston?

It would not surprise me if Sam Houston State were to leave, though not sure if/when the opportunity will present itself.

Most leagues have had significant turnover in the last 5-10 years during the realignment era. It has not impacted the SWAC or the Ivy League and that's about it when you look at the Division I landscape. This period of realignment has come to an "end" so they tell us, but I figure it'll pick up again in a few years once folks got an idea how the new FBS playoff works.

Not to divert from the topic too much, but what did Southern is was as others have stated poor leadership from the prior AD, and lack of capable people in the compliance dept. Even though Stump Mitchell wasn't a good on the field coach, he did a great job of getting those kids to go to class as well as recruiting kids that wanted to learn and play sports. Same goes for Coach Banks, he took a program that had no stability and got it back on the right track. That being said I believe that each SWAC school has to make strides to make moves that best suits them.

Banks is going to win at whichever school and whatever level he is at. Would hate for Southern to lose a solid coach, but that's the business. If Southern wins the SWAC regular season (almost there, right?) and tournament title, would not surprise me if he were to get another offer. He's a hot commodity because of what he has done with little. Quite frankly, if he would've beat Gonzaga last year, I think someone would've snatched him (or tried to) then.

813Jag
March 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Alabama State isn't happy with the SWAC either. They are also rumored to looking over options regarding a new conference for their sports teams.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/alabama_state_president_gwendo.html
In some shape or form, I think the SWAC will continue, but schools having options could be a shot in the arm for everybody.

813Jag
March 6th, 2014, 02:12 PM
It would not surprise me if Sam Houston State were to leave, though not sure if/when the opportunity will present itself.

Most leagues have had significant turnover in the last 5-10 years during the realignment era. It has not impacted the SWAC or the Ivy League and that's about it when you look at the Division I landscape. This period of realignment has come to an "end" so they tell us, but I figure it'll pick up again in a few years once folks got an idea how the new FBS playoff works.

Banks is going to win at whichever school and whatever level he is at. Would hate for Southern to lose a solid coach, but that's the business. If Southern wins the SWAC regular season (almost there, right?) and tournament title, would not surprise me if he were to get another offer. He's a hot commodity because of what he has done with little. Quite frankly, if he would've beat Gonzaga last year, I think someone would've snatched him (or tried to) then.
Clinched the regular season title about a week ago. I've known that we have Coach Banks for a limited time as soon as he got there. Like you said that's the nature of the business.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Texas Southern was Southern before Southern was Southern....

For seven years, a man named Alois Blackwell "dumbed" his way thru our athletic leadership (Southern's Greg La Fleur) while at the same time our Office of General Counsel employed one..... ONE FTE Compliance Officer to be the lifeguard of over 300 student athletes. This position was a constant revolving door for those who needed a job to get them to their next job. Sloppy paperwork, ignorance and just straight up DGAF mentality for the position.

The Chairman of the Board of Regents at the time (J. Paul Johnson) was someone so in over his head who only got the position because he was a newly anointed member of the Black Republican Club who "stroked" Governor Ricky Perry's......... ego and got the nod (Southern's version of Tony Clayton).

Now fast forward to the president's chair, Priscilla Slade (Southern's Ralph Slaughter) was caught in a power struggle with the Chairman; whenever she tried to fire the AD, the chairman would catch wind of it and muscle the president to "back off his boy" so we were in a cycle of going nowhere in terms of athletics.

813Jag
March 6th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Texas Southern was Southern before Southern was Southern....

For seven years, a man named Alois Blackwell "dumbed" his way thru our athletic leadership (Southern's Greg La Fleur) while at the same time our Office of General Counsel employed one..... ONE FTE Compliance Officer to be the lifeguard of over 300 student athletes. This position was a constant revolving door for those who needed a job to get them to their next job. Sloppy paperwork, ignorance and just straight up DGAF mentality for the position.

The Chairman of the Board of Regents at the time (J. Paul Johnson) was someone so in over his head who only got the position because he was a newly anointed member of the Black Republican Club who "stroked" Governor Ricky Perry's......... ego and got the nod (Southern's version of Tony Clayton).

Now fast forward to the president's chair, Priscilla Slade (Southern's Ralph Slaughter) was caught in a power struggle with the Chairman; whenever she tried to fire the AD, the chairman would catch wind of it and muscle the president to "back off his boy" so we were in a cycle of going nowhere in terms of athletics.
It's eerie how identical those situations are. I guess that trip to Houston by La Fleur was for the best for Southern.

Sandlapper Spike
March 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
The problem with letting all the ineligible teams participate is the potential inequities that could result.

If Southern beats the 4 seed in the semis and the 7 seed in the final and both those seeds are eligible, the 7 seed gets the automatic bid, even though both lost to the same team (and in that scenario, the league title game is essentially a "dead rubber", because it doesn't really matter who wins).

It is also conceivable (if a bit unlikely) that a team could clinch the auto-bid before it even plays its semifinal game.

DFW HOYA
March 8th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Where is JSU's alumni base located? Sizable portions in Houston and New Orleans? They'd get to play all sports in those area annually with football games routinely within an hour of both cities too. Still would like to see a DFW area school back in league.

Seems unlikely, unless Dallas Baptist moved up or things cratered at UTA.

More likely, the SLC stands pat and is prepared to drop to 12 or as few as 10. The only Division I school left in the footprint is PanAm and no one will touch them.

BluBengal07
March 10th, 2014, 02:13 PM
There's an opening now for a 14th member with Oral Roberts on the way out.

Having a foot in Mississippi would not be a negative thing, especially for all those La. schools that recruit that way anyway. It would also keep travel costs lower since you could legitimately do a decent divisional alignment in which JSU is coupled with the La. schools and Central Arkansas across all sports. JSU would still be able to play the SWAC schools OOC.

Houston is one of the largest. NOLA is average, but well known. I-10 would not be a problem for JSU.

813Jag
March 11th, 2014, 09:21 AM
The problem with letting all the ineligible teams participate is the potential inequities that could result.

If Southern beats the 4 seed in the semis and the 7 seed in the final and both those seeds are eligible, the 7 seed gets the automatic bid, even though both lost to the same team (and in that scenario, the league title game is essentially a "dead rubber", because it doesn't really matter who wins).

It is also conceivable (if a bit unlikely) that a team could clinch the auto-bid before it even plays its semifinal game.
barring any crazy upsets the #2 TSU and #3 Alabama St seeds are eligible so one of them should face Southern in the final (if the Jags make it). #4 UAPB is also ineligible. 3 of the 4 ineligible teams are on the same side of the bracket.

Sandlapper Spike
March 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Yeah, that part sort of worked out. I suppose if Grambling somehow won two games in the tournament, and Pine Bluff/Southern both won their quarterfinal matchups, then the winner of the 3-6 game would clinch a bid without having to play a semifinal game. All that happening is a major stretch, though.

813Jag
March 11th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that part sort of worked out. I suppose if Grambling somehow won two games in the tournament, and Pine Bluff/Southern both won their quarterfinal matchups, then the winner of the 3-6 game would clinch a bid without having to play a semifinal game. All that happening is a major stretch, though.
I think if Grambling wins two games in a row they should cancel the whole thing xlolx the way I see it working out is #2 TSU getting to the semis and #3 Alabama State losing in the quarters.

Sandlapper Spike
March 11th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Don't look now, but Grambling is in the quarterfinals...

TheRevSFA
March 12th, 2014, 07:45 AM
The SLC has had more instability and turnover in it than Blockbuster Videos.

Incarnate Word?

Who's the next school to leave? Sam Houston?

Sam and Lamar and SFA would be the next 3 to leave. Probably Lamar first out of the three.

The SLC looked only at markets when acquiring teams (save for ACU). UIW gets the SLC back in the San Antonio/Austin market since Texas State and UTSA left.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Sam and Lamar and SFA would be the next 3 to leave. Probably Lamar first out of the three.

The SLC looked only at markets when acquiring teams (save for ACU). UIW gets the SLC back in the San Antonio/Austin market since Texas State and UTSA left.

Sam next to leave huh? Funny, I know a Sam loyalist who used to try their best to crucify any program who even did a study regarding moving up in classification.

superman7515
March 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM

If an ineligible team wins the SWAC tournament that decides the autobid, they should just forfeit their spot in the tournament and the NCAA should give it to an eligible bubble team.

Sandlapper Spike
March 14th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Well, it worked out for the SWAC. All the ineligible teams have now lost.

Panther88
March 14th, 2014, 02:56 PM

lol

Laker
March 14th, 2014, 09:40 PM

If an ineligible team had won the title, would the championship team picture look like the Invisible Man?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM
http://grantland.com/features/hbcus-texas-southern-ncaa-tournament-historically-black-colleges-and-universities/

It can be argued — and should be — that leagues like the SWAC are more true to their histories and their legacies than are the ridiculously cobbled-together major conferences; in terms of historical authenticity, a rivalry between Texas Southern and Alabama A&M makes far more sense than Syracuse and Duke, for pity’s sake. Without the SWAC, and leagues like it, the NCAA tournament would be completely converted, root and branch, to a soulless, ahistorical miniseries every spring. There will always be something special about the Big Dance, if a band like the Ocean of Soul can get the gig.

+1