PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Missouri Valley Conference

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 1st, 2014, 06:06 PM
Winter is getting long and I am bored.

How will the conference standings end up? What do you Valley fans think?

My order will probably change when August comes but this is how I think the standings might shake out this coming season.

1. UNI - Panthers have a ton coming back this year and will be tough. I'm assuming Farley (LB) will be back also. Kollmorgen, DJ and some good WRs, UNI has to be the preseason favorite in 14.

2. NDSU - Bison lose 24 seniors and a good portion of the coaching staff. Coach Klieman is very capable and the Bison return a lot of starters....6 offense and 6 defense. Wentz (QB) has all of the talent but needs to prove it on the field.

3. SDSU - Can the Jacks go further in the playoffs this coming year? I don't see them beating UNI or NDSU this year. Sumner needs to take the next step.

4. Ill State - Redbirds always surprise me with loses they shouldn't have. Can they put it together and make the playoffs in '14?

5. Missouri State - Bears would have made the playoffs last year if they wouldn't have choked their non-conference games. Only lost to Iowa by 2 TDs and played the Bison tough. Will this be there year?

6. SIU - Is this Lennon's make or break year? SIU replaces a lot of coaches like the Bison. Can they make a run to the top of the conference?

7.YSU - I think Youngstown takes a tumble this coming year. I think the 3 straight losses to finish the year and missing the playoffs again will have an affect on the '14 team.

8. USD - Finally won a conference game (3) in '13. Until they prove otherwise, IMO they will be a bottom half Valley team.

9. WIU - Nielsen is a good coach and WIU will get better.

10. ISU - Indiana State needs a lot of help. No reason to believe they will be better in '14.

There you go Valley fans. Am I close or totally out to lunch? xlolx

It is early but this kind of stuff is fun.....xthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
March 1st, 2014, 09:06 PM
USD is too low.

They didn't just win conference games, they beat teams they weren't supposed to beat on the road.

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM
USD is too low.

They didn't just win conference games, they beat teams they weren't supposed to beat on the road.

Agreed. The Yotes could be MUCH improved....

JayJ79
March 1st, 2014, 11:30 PM
Supposedly the conference is exploring the use of video review this season. (doesn't really have anything to do with prospective order of finish, but i'm too lazy to make a seperate thread)

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 11:35 PM
Supposedly the conference is exploring the use of video review this season. (doesn't really have anything to do with prospective order of finish, but i'm too lazy to make a seperate thread)

I think ALL who have the ability to do so SHOULD. Big Sky, SoCon, Southland, etc should do the same.

Twentysix
March 2nd, 2014, 01:06 AM

xthumbsupx

darell1976
March 2nd, 2014, 04:04 AM
I think ALL who have the ability to do so SHOULD. Big Sky, SoCon, Southland, etc should do the same.

I agree!!

Dakotaguy74
March 2nd, 2014, 06:53 AM
Sorry to say but I have little hope for the Bison this season. I don't remember any team loosing that many seniors and such a good quarterback and head coach. Middle of the pack at beat.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol Middle of the pack at BEST.

stevdock
March 2nd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Sorry to say but I have little hope for the Bison this season. I don't remember any team loosing that many seniors and such a good quarterback and head coach. Middle of the pack at beat.

- - - Updated - - -

If those 24 seniors were beating teams by only a couple of points I would agree with you. Since the Bison were miles ahead of everyone else during the playoffs, I'm guessing they will be alright. While their replacements won't have the game experience that others will is undeniable, those replacements did go up against the best team in FCS every day during practice.

I do agree that I think USD will continue to improve and push for a playoff spot.

Bisonator
March 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM

This needs to happen!xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 2nd, 2014, 10:33 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty slim chance IMHO.

The 2 big question marks for the Bison are QB and DT.

Middle of the pack? Not with 12 starters coming back and many more that rotated in significantly.

DA BEAR
March 2nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. Ill State
4. Missouri State
5. SDSU
6. USD
7. YSU
8. SIU
9. WIU
10. ISU

NDSUKurt
March 2nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
I see it this way:

1. Northern Iowa
2. NDSU
3. Illinois State
4. Missouri State
5. SDSU
6. South Dakota
7. Youngstown State
8. Western Illinois
9. Southern Illinois
10. Indiana State

I could see the 3rd-6th place teams all being within 1 win of each other, beating each other up like last season.

In my opinion Missouri State was coming on at the end of the year last year, as was South Dakota. These teams could (and I think will) surprise people.

I don't think Illinois State will be as good as their record ends up. They will start the season off hot with wins against horrible Mississippi Valley State and Austin Peay, and will probably beat Eastern Illinois. They will lose to Northern Iowa and get really lucky to miss NDSU.

Youngstown and Western Illinois could flip flop as well.

citdog
March 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.themightyninth.org/War%20Stories/Sandbag/sandbags.jpg

clenz
March 2nd, 2014, 04:24 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Idiotic post is idiotic

centennial
March 2nd, 2014, 06:21 PM
My rankings for the upcoming season-
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. SDSU
Middle-
YSU, ISU-r, SD, MSU,
End-
WIU
Last-
Indiana State

achrist70
March 2nd, 2014, 06:54 PM
Top of the Conference
1. UNI
2. NDSU

The Panthers return so much including the entire coaching staff, something they haven't done since maybe 2007

Teams that should push for the playoffs
3. SDSU
4. SIU
5. IL St.

These 3 teams I could see in any order

Not quite there
6. MoSt.
7. YSU
8. SD

Bottom of the league
9. WIU
10. InSt.

The Valley could see up to 5 playoff teams, but wouldn't surprise me to only see 2 again, mainly due to the disrespect of the league

Bisonoline
March 2nd, 2014, 07:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

xcoffeexxeyebrowxxlolx

Twentysix
March 2nd, 2014, 07:33 PM
NDSU and UNI will be National Championship contenders this year. Probably one additional playoff team, tough to say who that will be. It won't be WIU or Indiana State... thats about all I can say and feel some what confident about.

The third team in could be any of them, YSU, ISU-r, MSU, SDSU, USD, SIU. Though I feel like SIU and YSU are the least likely of those 6, but no one really knows.

Twentysix
March 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
Top of the Conference
1. UNI
2. NDSU

The Panthers return so much including the entire coaching staff, something they haven't done since maybe 2007

Teams that should push for the playoffs
3. SDSU
4. SIU
5. IL St.

These 3 teams I could see in any order

Not quite there
6. MoSt.
7. YSU
8. SD

Bottom of the league
9. WIU
10. InSt.

The Valley could see up to 5 playoff teams, but wouldn't surprise me to only see 2 again, mainly due to the disrespect of the league

I feel better about USD and MSU than I do SIU and YSU, but who knows what will happen. Both USD and MSU are on a serious upswing.

Twentysix
March 2nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
No matter who they have transfering in, or whatever, recently SIU and YSU always seem to fall apart just enough to be left out of the playoffs.

Bisonator
March 3rd, 2014, 09:59 AM
My pre-spring ball picks:

1. UNI - if they can stay healthy
2. NDSU - plenty of talent back, probably not as dominant though
3. ISUr - on paper anyway but we all know how well that works out
4. SDSU - need to replace linemen, Sumner needs to improve
5. SIU - probably it for the Stache if no PO's
6. MSU - up and down team, down this year
7. USD - good young team still a year or 2 away IMO
8. YSU - big drop off for the guins without Hess at QB
9. WIU - haven't seen them for a couple years
10. ISUb - the train wreck continues

Pretty confident on the first 2. Total toss up after that though.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
I'll do more looking as summer gets closer and do an actual opinionated breakdown. However, this is my going only off of memory of last season and "tradition" of how each team does each year and what I remember coming back...with a space between each group for the gap I feel is between them and the teams below them

1. UNI - if UNI stays healthy it's a legit NC year for them.
2. NDSU - They will slip...all the way to about 2 or 3 losses this year - Iowa State, UNI, and some random game somewhere
3. SDSU - They have Zenner who will put up a ton of yards against bad teams..can the new OL get him yards against good defenses and can Sumner be more than "Average" for this team..if so then the 3 is theres.
4. Illinois State - looks good on paper...likely plays UNI really tough because that's what they do...beats up weak OOC...may push for the 3...likely falters again.
5. Southern Illinois - they'll brag about past wins over UNI because that's all they've been able to hang their hat on since about 2007...likely out of playoffs.
6. Missery State - mostly because I don't trust USD...
7. South Dakota - Could finish ahead of MSU and I wouldn't be shocked. I know I've been as hard as anyone on them the last 3 or 4 years but we'll see.
8. Youngstown State - eventually the Guin fans will come back and talk a bunch of ****, get pissy at me when I call them on it, brag about beating a ****ty OOC...then disappear when they fail in conference again. No Hess means bad things for that offense...Wolford may be feeling the heat on his ass by week 7..
9. WIU - likely improved from last season...but a long way to go.

Instead of making you scroll for 8 pages I'll put this in there...

10. Indiana State - yeah, they'll be that bad again. I knew after Bell was gone (And then after Miles) they would slide back to being bad but I didn't think it would be this fast and this bad. I don't know if they'll have another 0-65 streak...but they won't be much better than they were during that time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 3rd, 2014, 12:47 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Youngstown. I think they are going to slide way back in the pack this year. If Missouri State gets their sh** together, they could be a real threat.

As of now, UNI has to be the pre-season favorite with all of the starters coming back.

Is Farley going to make it back for '14?

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Is Farley going to make it back for '14?
I would assume..however, I've done zero looking/caring for months.

I generally try to avoid prying much into things through social media. I think he was able to jog in Jan though

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 3rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
I would assume..however, I've done zero looking/caring for months.

I generally try to avoid prying much into things through social media. I think he was able to jog in Jan though

I'm looking forward to the UNI game in Nov. My daughter is going to the U of Iowa so it will be a nice trip to see a Bison win and my daughter in the same weekend....xthumbsupx I'm sure you approve this message...right? xsmiley_wix

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 01:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the UNI game in Nov. My daughter is going to the U of Iowa so it will be a nice trip to see a Bison win and my daughter in the same weekend....xthumbsupx I'm sure you approve this message...right? xsmiley_wix
I disprove anything ever related to the U of I in anyway.......so....no....

NoDak 4 Ever
March 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM

as much as I disagreed when I met her, Iowa is a very good choice. Congratulations!

IBleedYellow
March 3rd, 2014, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry Clenz, but UNI won't be winning the NC. They just aren't allowed to. It's in your guys blood.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry Clenz, but UNI won't be winning the NC. They just aren't allowed to. It's in your guys blood.
Trust me...I'm fully aware...

Lehigh'98
March 3rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
I don't know about UNI, they seem to be very injury plagued. According to some 3/4 of their roster was injured last year. Maybe they will prove me wrong this year..

344Johnson
March 3rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
I'll be a homer and pick NDSU to win it again this year.

2. UNI
3. SDSU
4. Ill. State
5-10. who cares

NoDak 4 Ever
March 3rd, 2014, 04:32 PM
I look at it a lot like 2011. NDSU has a lot to prove but is very strong and determined with a ton of experience. UNI has lost its mystique. Having them in the dome is going to be great this year.

Bisonator
March 3rd, 2014, 05:40 PM

I see what you did there.xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
]I disprove anything ever related to the U of I in anyway.......so....no.[/B]...

I knew you didn't like the Hawkeyes....just bustin your chops....xthumbsupx

But I have to admit that it is a very good school. They put the full court press on when I took her to her college day last fall. She stepped one foot in their rec center and that pretty much galvanized her decision to go there.....fantastic facility. I told her I would have loved to go there with that fitness center.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
as much as I disagreed when I met her, Iowa is a very good choice. Congratulations!

Thanks bud.

IMHO, UNI is going to be tough as nails. If they stay healthy, they will be hard to beat. NDSU has to play them there so that will be a very tough road game. Although I think NDSU will be right there. The running game should be very good and that will help Wentz and the passing game. Wentz is really fast too.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks bud.

IMHO, UNI is going to be tough as nails. If they stay healthy, they will be hard to beat. NDSU has to play them there so that will be a very tough road game. Although I think NDSU will be right there. The running game should be very good and that will help Wentz and the passing game. Wentz is really fast too.

From the last time I was there, they are very fair weather fans. As soon as they got down, they were gone, gone, gone. It was awfully empty in there at the end.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
Don't tell anyone I said this....ever...I mean it...I'll hunt you down and kill you if you do....seriously.....

They have killer facilities all around, a rabid fan base like you wouldn't believe (one of the main reasons I hate them is the fan base), and world class academics..... My wife is going to apply to get her PhD there are some point and I am going/have gone through the interview process for a MA program there....

Again...you tell anyone that **** you're ****ing dead....

I need to cancel that **** out with this....

**** THE HAWKEYES
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GKz3l8zNJ3M/TQbc1EiDSSI/AAAAAAAAAOk/woJD5hky9f8/s1600/DJKCOCAINE%2521.jpg

xlolx

Send your daughter with 8 gallons of pepper spray and some quality self defense lessons though...seriously....take a look at how that **** has been handled on campus the past decade or so....not so good. So much so the BOR called UI President Mason to a closed door meeting on it last week....yeah...

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks bud.

The defense at UNI is going to be better this year than last.

We get Mac O'Brien back at DT to go along with X.....Farley back and healthy, all 4 starting DB's back (along with 3 others that saw very significant minutes)....

****....UNI won't win the title this year but will have one of the, if not the, most talented team in the nation.

Our OC will find a way to piss games down his leg....just watch. You can quote me in your sig on that ****.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 3rd, 2014, 06:27 PM
Don't tell anyone I said this....ever...I mean it...I'll hunt you down and kill you if you do....seriously.....

They have killer facilities all around, a rabid fan base like you wouldn't believe (one of the main reasons I hate them is the fan base), and world class academics..... My wife is going to apply to get her PhD there are some point and I am going/have gone through the interview process for a MA program there....

Again...you tell anyone that **** you're ****ing dead....

I need to cancel that **** out with this....

**** THE HAWKEYES
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GKz3l8zNJ3M/TQbc1EiDSSI/AAAAAAAAAOk/woJD5hky9f8/s1600/DJKCOCAINE%2521.jpg

xlolx

Send your daughter with 8 gallons of pepper spray and some quality self defense lessons though...seriously....take a look at how that **** has been handled on campus the past decade or so....not so good. So much so the BOR called UI President Mason to a closed door meeting on it last week....yeah...

Yikes...didn't know that. She taken a couple of years of Tae Kwon Do....

You....going to Iowa? Man, that must hurt.....xsmiley_wix

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
Yikes...didn't know that. She taken a couple of years of Tae Kwon Do....

You....going to Iowa? Man, that must hurt.....xsmiley_wix

Not thrilled about the idea but if I get in its almost too good if an educational opportunity to pass.

Iowa has sex assault issues that make Montana's alleged cover ups and what not look like a elementary student lying about taking an extra cookie at lunch....

Things might finally be done about it now though that the BOR can't ignore it any more thanks to protests/pickets on campus

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
March 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
Not thrilled about the idea but if I get in its almost too good if an educational opportunity to pass.

Iowa has sex assault issues that make Montana's alleged cover ups and what not look like a elementary student lying about taking an extra cookie at lunch....

Things might finally be done about it now though that the BOR can't ignore it any more thanks to protests/pickets on campus

If you don't love it, leave it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIm_41OIOM

Bisonoline
March 3rd, 2014, 07:45 PM
I knew you didn't like the Hawkeyes....just bustin your chops....xthumbsupx

But I have to admit that it is a very good school. They put the full court press on when I took her to her college day last fall. She stepped one foot in their rec center and that pretty much galvanized her decision to go there.....fantastic facility. I told her I would have loved to go there with that fitness center.

Are you talking about the fitness center in between Kinnick and the IPF? If so they had just finished it for my freshman year in 1970. It was called the Recreational Building back then.

So is your daughter going to go to school there?

Houndawg
March 4th, 2014, 04:36 AM
I'll do more looking as summer gets closer and do an actual opinionated breakdown. However, this is my going only off of memory of last season and "tradition" of how each team does each year and what I remember coming back...with a space between each group for the gap I feel is between them and the teams below them

2. NDSU - They will slip...all the way to about 2 or 3 losses this year - Iowa State, UNI, and some random game somewhere
3. SDSU - They have Zenner who will put up a ton of yards against bad teams..can the new OL get him yards against good defenses and can Sumner be more than "Average" for this team..if so then the 3 is theres.
4. Illinois State - looks good on paper...likely plays UNI really tough because that's what they do...beats up weak OOC...may push for the 3...likely falters again.
5. Southern Illinois - they'll brag about past wins over UNI because that's all they've been able to hang their hat on since about 2007...likely out of playoffs.
6. Missery State - mostly because I don't trust USD...
7. South Dakota - Could finish ahead of MSU and I wouldn't be shocked. I know I've been as hard as anyone on them the last 3 or 4 years but we'll see.
8. Youngstown State - eventually the Guin fans will come back and talk a bunch of ****, get pissy at me when I call them on it, brag about beating a ****ty OOC...then disappear when they fail in conference again. No Hess means bad things for that offense...Wolford may be feeling the heat on his ass by week 7.
9. WIU - likely improved from last season...but a long way to go.

Instead of making you scroll for 8 pages I'll put this in there...

10. Indiana State - yeah, they'll be that bad again. I knew after Bell was gone (And then after Miles) they would slide back to being bad but I didn't think it would be this fast and this bad. I don't know if they'll have another 0-65 streak...but they won't be much better than they were during that time.

2013 MVFC

pre-season predicted finish: UNI 1st/2nd, SIU 7th

actual standings: SIU 2nd(T), UNI 8th

xbawlingx

xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Are you talking about the fitness center in between Kinnick and the IPF? If so they had just finished it for my freshman year in 1970. It was called the Recreational Building back then.

So is your daughter going to go to school there?

They call it the CRWC -- Campus Recreational & Wellness Center: http://recserv.uiowa.edu/Apps/Facilities/CRWC.aspx

I would have gone to Iowa also as a freshman after walking into something like this. Not all kids workout but if you do this is the Taj Mahal of campus rec centers. On the campus tour she took they said it is the #3 ranked college rec center in the country.

Yes she is. She also got into NDSU and U of Minnesota and they are good schools but she loved Iowa. She might want to get a Master's in Creative Writing and Iowa is tops in that grad degree. The only negative is she will be 570 miles from home and no family/friends in the area. After what clenz has said about the security, it does make a parent worried.

I liked Iowa City, it reminds me of a smaller F-M metro area. But you can tell Iowa is definitely a Big 10 school. Great campus right in the downtown. I'm just scratching the surface trying to describe it. I'm sure a lot has changed since you went there PL.

clenz
March 4th, 2014, 07:38 AM
They call it the CRWC -- Campus Recreational & Wellness Center: http://recserv.uiowa.edu/Apps/Facilities/CRWC.aspx

I would have gone to Iowa also as a freshman after walking into something like this. Not all kids workout but if you do this is the Taj Mahal of campus rec centers. On the campus tour she took they said it is the #3 ranked college rec center in the country.

Yes she is. She also got into NDSU and U of Minnesota and they are good schools but she loved Iowa. She might want to get a Master's in Creative Writing and Iowa is tops in that grad degree. The only negative is she will be 570 miles from home and no family/friends in the area. After what clenz has said about the security, it does make a parent worried.

I liked Iowa City, it reminds me of a smaller F-M metro area. But you can tell Iowa is definitely a Big 10 school. Great campus right in the downtown. I'm just scratching the surface trying to describe it. I'm sure a lot has changed since you went there PL.
I'm not meaning to worry you *that much*. Iowa has it's issues in that regard, no question. I can find about a dozen cases that have cover up, and badly done at that, in the last 15 years or so...almost always including athletes. Part of the issue that is being taken up is the steps that UI does in helping prevent it and helping those that have reported - remember a very very small % is reported and the only ones that ever "leak" to the public include athletes, so who knows what the real number may be. UI's president, Sally Mason, went on record a week or two ago in saying that UI can't prevent all sexual assaults (she is correct in that) but then hinted that since they couldn't attempting to do so would be a giant waste of time/resources....it prompted rather large protests outside her building and thus a closed door session with the BOR. In the coming months/years I have a feeling it is going to be watched much closer. Iowa City is a great city (again tell anyone I kill you). There is a ton of nightlife to partake in plus the number of house parties is literally uncountable. The stories I've heard - and been involved in - are some of the best stories and most horrific stories I've ever heard/seen. Iowa City is a top 3 party school every year for a reason....70% of the campus is drunk 24/7 it seems...remember Vodka Sam from last fall? Yeah, that's not quite the "norm" to be that **** faced...but...it's a lot closer to the standard norm than abnormal. The party atmosphere is a HUGE reason for a lot of the issues. The UI/IC police try to take care of it but there is a HUGE push back from the university and students on it. The city of IC pretty much hates students living off campus because of the parties/noise/destruction that happens.

Having said all of that - the quality of education is great. The opportunities she will have are matched by very few schools. The connections she'll make will give her a very strong foundation to get somewhere good in life (it's who you know, not what you know after all). The facilities she will have access too are matched by very few schools. UI is setting record enrollments every year...I think they are 33k this year and expect to continue at rapid growth. They are trying to get a ton of money from the state to build more dorms to keep up as they expect to hit 35-40k in the coming years - there are a lot of students that live in the "lounges" of dorms for the first month of school each year waiting for a room to open due to roommates not getting along, drop outs, etc... The campus is HUGE. It's going to take her quite a while to get from point a to point b there.

I have family that lives in Iowa City, one of them worked for the UI athletic department as an athletic trainer for a couple years before moving to New York to be the head trainer at RIT - they just moved back because they hated New York. One of my co-workers from CF has a son that is a Soph at UI that is going into some bio-mechanical premed engineering thing...he's a GD genius...seriously 36 ACT (perfect), 4.0 GPA his entire life, head of the robotics team at his HS, took almost only college classes his last 2 years in HS, etc... yeah...picked UI over full rides to a couple Ivy league schools (Among others). I live 30 minutes north of IC. It really is a good area, between Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Marion, etc... which is called the 380 corridor, it's a 30 mileish N to S stretch... roughly 20-30% of the states population lives. I miss Cedar Falls, having moved here in November, like you wouldn't believe. CF was a cross between small town Iowa and Iowa City.... However, the area is great.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 4th, 2014, 08:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have driven through the area a lot but only stayed a few times. Great area for sure. Midwest is the best place to live IMO.

Ya, they even said that on the tour...that Iowa is known for their partying....

On the tour, there was a new dorm under construction and I think they said there was another 1 or 2 in the planning. A lot of new construction since the flood a few summers ago. The roommate selection process is really cool compared to what I went thru. Basically nothing for me, the school just matched you up with whomever. Now, my daughter can pick her roommate basically and already has. A gal from ILL that has the same major and same core values. Now they snapchat-tweet or whatever else these teenagers do now days. When I was a freshman, I walked in my dorm room and my roommate was a OT on the football team.....6'7 and 310...wow....lol. He was great.

Looking forward to the game in Nov. I'll have to look you up and give you some sh**!!!

xthumbsupx

JayJ79
March 4th, 2014, 08:27 AM
why the **** is there so much talk about Iowa in a Missouri Valley Conference thread? move that **** to the big ten network or something

Houndawg
March 4th, 2014, 09:37 AM
I'm not meaning to worry you *that much*. Iowa has it's issues in that regard, no question. I can find about a dozen cases that have cover up, and badly done at that, in the last 15 years or so...almost always including athletes. Part of the issue that is being taken up is the steps that UI does in helping prevent it and helping those that have reported - remember a very very small % is reported and the only ones that ever "leak" to the public include athletes, so who knows what the real number may be. UI's president, Sally Mason, went on record a week or two ago in saying that UI can't prevent all sexual assaults (she is correct in that) but then hinted that since they couldn't attempting to do so would be a giant waste of time/resources....it prompted rather large protests outside her building and thus a closed door session with the BOR. In the coming months/years I have a feeling it is going to be watched much closer. Iowa City is a great city (again tell anyone I kill you). There is a ton of nightlife to partake in plus the number of house parties is literally uncountable. The stories I've heard - and been involved in - are some of the best stories and most horrific stories I've ever heard/seen. Iowa City is a top 3 party school every year for a reason....70% of the campus is drunk 24/7 it seems...remember Vodka Sam from last fall? Yeah, that's not quite the "norm" to be that **** faced...but...it's a lot closer to the standard norm than abnormal. The party atmosphere is a HUGE reason for a lot of the issues. The UI/IC police try to take care of it but there is a HUGE push back from the university and students on it. The city of IC pretty much hates students living off campus because of the parties/noise/destruction that happens.

Having said all of that - the quality of education is great. The opportunities she will have are matched by very few schools. The connections she'll make will give her a very strong foundation to get somewhere good in life (it's who you know, not what you know after all). The facilities she will have access too are matched by very few schools. UI is setting record enrollments every year...I think they are 33k this year and expect to continue at rapid growth. They are trying to get a ton of money from the state to build more dorms to keep up as they expect to hit 35-40k in the coming years - there are a lot of students that live in the "lounges" of dorms for the first month of school each year waiting for a room to open due to roommates not getting along, drop outs, etc... The campus is HUGE. It's going to take her quite a while to get from point a to point b there.

I have family that lives in Iowa City, one of them worked for the UI athletic department as an athletic trainer for a couple years before moving to New York to be the head trainer at RIT - they just moved back because they hated New York. One of my co-workers from CF has a son that is a Soph at UI that is going into some bio-mechanical premed engineering thing...he's a GD genius...seriously 36 ACT (perfect), 4.0 GPA his entire life, head of the robotics team at his HS, took almost only college classes his last 2 years in HS, etc... yeah...picked UI over full rides to a couple Ivy league schools (Among others). I live 30 minutes north of IC. It really is a good area, between Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Marion, etc... which is called the 380 corridor, it's a 30 mileish N to S stretch... roughly 20-30% of the states population lives. I miss Cedar Falls, having moved here in November, like you wouldn't believe. CF was a cross between small town Iowa and Iowa City.... However, the area is great.

Executive Summary: She'll be bored to tears with nothing to do but drink away the nine-month long winters.xcoffeex

clenz
March 4th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Executive Summary: She'll be bored to tears with nothing to do but drink away the nine-month long winters.xcoffeex
If she's moving from the Fargo area she is tripling the length of her summers...

Yotes
March 4th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I got the Yotes finishing somewhere between 4th and 6th this year, and a shot at the playoffs coming down to the final game at State. If we don't make the playoffs this year, we absolutely will next year. USD is going to be really good, really soon, Joe Glenn is the man.

Twentysix
March 4th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I got the Yotes finishing somewhere between 4th and 6th this year, and a shot at the playoffs coming down to the final game at State. If we don't make the playoffs this year, we absolutely will next year. USD is going to be really good, really soon, Joe Glenn is the man.

I agree with your entire statement.

clenz
March 4th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Oddly enough...from the news today regarding sexual assualts on campus...

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Board of Regents has released crime data that shows an increase in reported sex offenses at two of the state's three public universities.

The annual data released Tuesday shows Iowa State University had 13 reported sex offenses in 2013, an increase from nine in 2012. At the University of Northern Iowa, there were two reported sex offenses in 2013, an increase from 1 in 2012. There were 4 reported sex offenses at the University of Iowa in 2013, a decrease from 8 in 2012.

Sex offenses include reports of rape and sexual assault.

The data doesn't reflect incidents where victims choose not to formally file a report to police. The distinction means some recent, highly publicized reports of sexual assault at the University of Iowa are not included.

Read more: http://www.kcrg.com/home/top-9/Data-Shows-Sex-Offenses-Up-At-UNI-Iowa-State-Down-At-Iowa-248407671.html#ixzz2v1gfVb3j

darell1976
March 4th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Good luck Yotes!!! We will see you in 2016!

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM
why the **** is there so much talk about Iowa in a Missouri Valley Conference thread? move that **** to the big ten network or something

Cut us some slack...it has been a long winter...:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 4th, 2014, 07:20 PM

I don't think the Coyotes will be a playoff contender this year but I could be wrong. I thought the Coyotes would go winless last year in conference and that didn't turn out to well for me....;) The team I saw in the FD this year, didn't look too good but they had potential.

There are always surprises in the Valley.

Bisonoline
March 4th, 2014, 10:22 PM

Ok its on the other side of the river. Looks like its where the old library used to be. Is she at Iowa now? Is she in sports?

Bisonoline
March 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Oddly enough...from the news today regarding sexual assualts on campus...

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Board of Regents has released crime data that shows an increase in reported sex offenses at two of the state's three public universities.

The annual data released Tuesday shows Iowa State University had 13 reported sex offenses in 2013, an increase from nine in 2012. At the University of Northern Iowa, there were two reported sex offenses in 2013, an increase from 1 in 2012. There were 4 reported sex offenses at the University of Iowa in 2013, a decrease from 8 in 2012.

Sex offenses include reports of rape and sexual assault.

The data doesn't reflect incidents where victims choose not to formally file a report to police. The distinction means some recent, highly publicized reports of sexual assault at the University of Iowa are not included.

Read more: http://www.kcrg.com/home/top-9/Data-Shows-Sex-Offenses-Up-At-UNI-Iowa-State-Down-At-Iowa-248407671.html#ixzz2v1gfVb3j

Whats the difference in student populations?

citdog
March 4th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Ok its on the other side of the river. Looks like its where the old library used to be. Is she at Iowa now? Is she in sports?

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608036037668046296&w=258&h=176&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

- - - Updated - - -

Bisonoline
March 4th, 2014, 10:40 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Did I miss my calling?:D

IBleedYellow
March 5th, 2014, 02:38 AM
If she's moving from the Fargo area she is tripling the length of her summers...

We actually have nice summers...

Length isn't that short...

clenz
March 5th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Whats the difference in student populations?

UI 30k
ISU 30k
UNI 13k

UI has the issue because if the cover ups and way it's handled

ISU has an issue with rape in general

UNI has the best policy, safety phones on campus, for it after an issue about a decade ago where singer football players ended up in jail....they were kicked off the team instantly, arrested, jailed, etc... but the lady sued because she felt the school didn't handle it well enough....she settled outside of court as I don't know if she would have won in court....but that biased a big overhaul on campus procedure way ahead of 99 percent of schools with a progressive, and aggressive, plan to handle cases. UNI tends to be between 0-2 reported - who knows what the unreported could be though (that goes for any school).

I was actually shocked to see the number at ISU because it's never talked about - they must "handle" things "pretty well". Iowa...well...not so much.

Drblankstare
March 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
So much depends on injuries and luck, but it seems obvious that UNI will be a threat to win the conference and make a run at the championship. The Bison have a lot of shoes to fill, it's easy to say next man up, but let's be honest it doesn't work like that. SDSU and UND are both my dark horses. God will sort the rest out ;)

Mr. Tibbs
March 5th, 2014, 10:10 PM
So much depends on injuries and luck, but it seems obvious that UNI will be a threat to win the conference and make a run at the championship. The Bison have a lot of shoes to fill, it's easy to say next man up, but let's be honest it doesn't work like that. SDSU and UND are both my dark horses. God will sort the rest out ;)

I don't think UND is going to be anyone's dark horse for at least three years......

JayJ79
March 6th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I don't think UND is going to be anyone's dark horse for at least three years......

certainly not in the MVFC race

Drblankstare
March 6th, 2014, 06:34 PM
USD, sorry:(

Yotes
March 6th, 2014, 08:42 PM
USD, sorry:(
That's more like it haha!

Only about 6 more months until the season starts!

Sycamore51
March 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Sucking again sucks. It was nice to be relevant for a few years, but I'm afraid this year will be a rough one for the Sycamores. To be honest with you, 3-9 may be over achieving with this years squad. With 63 freshman, sophomores, or transfers on the roster maybe some kids will get some experience and we can begin the climb back up fom the depths.

clenz
March 17th, 2014, 09:53 PM
ISUb is going to be lucky to get to three wins the next 2, maybe 3 seasons, total

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 22nd, 2014, 05:31 PM
ISUb is going to be lucky to get to three wins the next 2, maybe 3 seasons, total

This here!

You were right about the coach and Bell. ISU will have some trouble for sure the next few years.

Professor Chaos
May 6th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Here's my 6 fearless 2014 MVFC predictions:

1) The conference places 3 teams into the 2014 playoffs; UNI, NDSU, and SDSU who will finish in that order.
2) There will be two additional teams from the middle tier of IlSU, MSU, SIU, and YSU who will finish with 7+ D1 wins but are left out of the playoffs as rampant MVFC bias talk ensues on AGS.
3) UNI will win the regular season matchup with NDSU but they will be rematched in the playoff quarterfinals (thinking #3 and #6 seed) where NDSU wins.
4) NDSU's Carson Wentz finishes the season on par statistically with veteran QB mainstays like UNI's Kollmorgen and SDSU's Sumner.
5) UNI sweeps the postseason POTY awards with David Johnson as conference offensive player of the year and Jake Farley as defensive player of the year.
6) The bid for a 4-peat for NDSU ends on the road in the national semis. Frisco city leaders and business owners lament as a multitude of tickets and hotel rooms are made available for championship weekend.

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Here's my 6 fearless 2014 MVFC predictions:

1) The conference places 3 teams into the 2014 playoffs; UNI, NDSU, and SDSU who will finish in that order.
2) There will be two additional teams from the middle tier of IlSU, MSU, SIU, and YSU who will finish with 7+ D1 wins but are left out of the playoffs as rampant MVFC bias talk ensues on AGS.
3) UNI will win the regular season matchup with NDSU but they will be rematched in the playoff quarterfinals (thinking #3 and #6 seed) where NDSU wins.
4) NDSU's Carson Wentz finishes the season on par statistically with veteran QB mainstays like UNI's Kollmorgen and SDSU's Sumner.
5) UNI sweeps the postseason POTY awards with David Johnson as conference offensive player of the year and Jake Farley as defensive player of the year.
6) The bid for a 4-peat for NDSU ends on the road in the national semis. Frisco city leaders and business owners lament as a multitude of tickets and hotel rooms are made available for championship weekend.If UNI gets to the title game the crowd brought will be quite large. I won't say as large as NDSU BUT the largest crowds in Chatty were during ASU's 3 peat. The UNI/ASU game in 05 was 3rd but the crowds for ASU grew as the streak continued.

I'd bet UNI would send 14-16K is if the tickets are available, especially if the season plays out as nicely as it should....

AmsterBison
May 6th, 2014, 12:35 PM
If UNI gets to the title game the crowd brought will be quite large. I won't say as large as NDSU BUT the largest crowds in Chatty were during ASU's 3 peat. The UNI/ASU game in 05 was 3rd but the crowds for ASU grew as the streak continued.

I'd bet UNI would send 14-16K is if the tickets are available, especially if the season plays out as nicely as it should....

Do you mean this literally? Because I will take that bet. :)

UNI doesn't even send 400 to NDSU games.

http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/ndsu/football/20140104/

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 12:37 PM

They don't even send that many to home games. HawkeyesCyclones, yano?

BisonFan02
May 6th, 2014, 12:42 PM
They don't even send that many to home games. HawkeyesCyclones, yano?

That is suggesting someone from Iowa is playing football after Christmas.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM

http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/ndsu/football/20140104/

Yeah come on clenz even UNI fans wouldn't want to put themselves through another championship game collapse!xlolx

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I'm still annoyed they took that Gigapixel so early before the game.

Although I am clearly visible taking a picture that I'm sure I posted to the AGSFCS account.

EDIT: The videos on that pano are pretty cool.

saxbison
May 6th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Although I am clearly visible taking a picture that I'm sure I posted to the AGSFCS account.

I agree. I wasn't even in the stadium yet.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Not that there are any fans on here to defend them, but how can anyone trust Missouri State to play anything beyond a spoiler role in the conference? They always seem able to beat a few good teams each year but never make a run at it themselves.

Other than that, I'm afraid that this season is shaping up to be like the 2008 NDSU team: stocked with talent at many positions, expected to be ranked #1 in the preseason, but then end up not making the playoffs.

The key that season, like this season, is QB. But frankly, as Bohl has always done, we never get to see any of the backup QB in situations that matter. Walker was the man for three great seasons (2005, 06 and 07). Mertens never got to play in any situations that mattered. Then there was nothing that could be done in 2008. Once Tyler Roehl got injured against Central Conn, he tried to play against Wyoming (they lost, barely) and then couldn't play against Youngstown the next week (lost again). By that point it was basically too late. They did have a nice win at home against Southern Ill, but that was about it. Lost to Western, lost to UNI and lost to SDSU - out of the playoffs. The final play of the season, sealing the door shut on the playoffs: an INT by Mertens against SDSU. Lost the Dakota marker for the second year in a row and blew any chance at the playoffs out the window.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 01:45 PM

I'm standing all by myself pretty much alone in the part of the section.

AmsterBison
May 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Wish they had one of those for each of the NDSU v Gopher games - and, yeah, 18 minutes before kickoff is way too early.

centennial
May 6th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Not that there are any fans on here to defend them, but how can anyone trust Missouri State to play anything beyond a spoiler role in the conference? They always seem able to beat a few good teams each year but never make a run at it themselves.

Other than that, I'm afraid that this season is shaping up to be like the 2008 NDSU team: stocked with talent at many positions, expected to be ranked #1 in the preseason, but then end up not making the playoffs.

The key that season, like this season, is QB. But frankly, as Bohl has always done, we never get to see any of the backup QB in situations that matter. Walker was the man for three great seasons (2005, 06 and 07). Mertens never got to play in any situations that mattered. Then there was nothing that could be done in 2008. Once Tyler Roehl got injured against Central Conn, he tried to play against Wyoming (they lost, barely) and then couldn't play against Youngstown the next week (lost again). By that point it was basically too late. They did have a nice win at home against Southern Ill, but that was about it. Lost to Western, lost to UNI and lost to SDSU - out of the playoffs. The final play of the season, sealing the door shut on the playoffs: an INT by Mertens against SDSU. Lost the Dakota marker for the second year in a row and blew any chance at the playoffs out the window.
Forever the optimist. Wentz will settle down, I do think he is overhyped, he also does not wait for plays to develop but he is not a bad player.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Wish they had one of those for each of the NDSU v Gopher games - and, yeah, 18 minutes before kickoff is way too early.

They had one for the K State game but it became "unavailable" for several reasons after the game.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Forever the optimist. Wentz will settle down, I do think he is overhyped, he also does not wait for plays to develop but he is not a bad player.

Hope you're right!

semobison
May 7th, 2014, 08:52 PM

And your analysis is based on what?? The Spring game?? Who is over hyping him?? I think that most people are excited about his potential, as am I. The guy hasn't even started a game yet but he needs to settle down?? I know its the off season and we seem to need things to talk about, but let me know what you think of our QB after you have seen him play a couple of real games.

FargoBison
May 7th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Why would the backup play in meaningful situations if your starter is healthy?

Either Wentz will do well or somebody else will take his job. With Mertens all the back ups sucked and that was because Bohl dropped the ball when it came to recruiting. Our back up situation was so bad the coaches didn't allow Mertens to run and that was one of the things he was good at.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Why would the backup play in meaningful situations if your starter is healthy?

Either Wentz will do well or somebody else will take his job. With Mertens all the back ups sucked and that was because Bohl dropped the ball when it came to recruiting. Our back up situation was so bad the coaches didn't allow Mertens to run and that was one of the things he was good at.

Well I guess it's reassuring to know that we have multiple back-up QBs that would otherwise be starting if they played for another FCS team. If that be the case, then yes I suppose we throw Wentz out there for a series and see if he's any good. If not, yank him and throw the next guy in.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 7th, 2014, 09:14 PM

WTF is this crap?

There are two capable QBs behind Wentz if needed. RB is loaded. Total apples/oranges. This defense will/is better than the '08 version by a mile.

Shouldn't you be analyzing your favorite team...._ND?

semobison
May 7th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Well I guess it's reassuring to know that we have multiple back-up QBs that would otherwise be starting if they played for another FCS team. If that be the case, then yes I suppose we throw Wentz out there for a series and see if he's any good. If not, yank him and throw the next guy in.

So, I guess your complaining because our new QB does not have as much experience as you would like. In 2011 Esley was the heir apparent. As a frosh, Wentz took over that spot moving Esley to defense. Somebody on the coaching staff must have been impressed and thought this move out. There are no guarantees that all players reach their potential and every season we have people step in to starting positions with just that...lots of potential and a little experience. Most people I have talked to say Carson's potential is very high. I am excited for him and our team this season!

centennial
May 7th, 2014, 10:03 PM
And your analysis is based on what?? The Spring game?? Who is over hyping him?? I think that most people are excited about his potential, as am I. The guy hasn't even started a game yet but he needs to settle down?? I know its the off season and we seem to need things to talk about, but let me know what you think of our QB after you have seen him play a couple of real games.
Stop getting your panties in a bunch. I was defending Wentz based on mpls doom theory, there has been talk with some people calling him better than Brock. I think that is unwarranted till he proves himself.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Ok, fair enough. I will suspend my doubts until the season arrives. :D

semobison
May 7th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Stop getting your panties in a bunch. I was defending Wentz based on mpls doom theory, there has been talk with some people calling him better than Brock. I think that is unwarranted till he proves himself.

Your analysis about his settling down, not waiting for plays to develop etc.... Again.....What do you base this on? Don't post that crap and you wont get called on it. We have not seen enough of Carson yet to make those statements.... And I do agree, any comparison to Brock at this point is also foolish and premature.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 8th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Will Ind State win a game this year?

2014 schedule:

Indiana: L
Tenn Tech: ?
Ball State: L
Liberty: L
UNI: L
Ill State: L
NDSU: L
SIU: L
MSU: L
SDSU: L
YSU: L
WIU: L

Maybe a win at home vs Tenn Tech....big maybe. IMO, they go winless in the Valley.

clenz
May 8th, 2014, 03:08 PM

2014 schedule:

Maybe a win at home vs Tenn Tech....big maybe. IMO, they go winless in the Valley.
0 Ws

centennial
May 8th, 2014, 03:17 PM
0 Ws
There is a good chance they take down Tennessee Tech. They barely beat Indiana State last year 38-37.

clenz
May 8th, 2014, 03:33 PM
There is a good chance they take down Tennessee Tech. They barely beat Indiana State last year 38-37.
Indiana State isn't better this year.

They do return their top running back...who ran for a whopping 50 yards per game last season 1 with TD
As team they ran for a whole 3 yards per carry and 9 total TDs on the season

Passing they return Mike Perrish, who was by far their best passer at 57% but when 14-10 TD-INT

They lose 3 of their top 5 WR (over 38% of the total catches) and return only 1 with more than 15 catches...

They do return a lot of their defense....a defense that gave up 36 points per game (including the D2 game they only gave up 7..so just under 40 in D1 games) and up 370 yards per game

darell1976
May 8th, 2014, 03:38 PM
So with new Offensive and Defensive Coordinators, how is Dale Lennon's Salukis going to match up in the MVFC?

centennial
May 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
So with new Offensive and Defensive Coordinators, how is Dale Lennon's Salukis going to match up in the MVFC?
According to SIU fans, the change was long needed. They expect an improvement. I don't follow SIU enough to say if that is correct or not.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 8th, 2014, 04:46 PM

This should flush out houndawg...xnodx

IMO, they will probably be better than last year. Faulkner (QB) is gone, so a lot will depend on the next QB.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM

2014 schedule:

Tenn Tech, Liberty and they'll pull out one MVFC victory.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2014, 06:20 PM

Are they going to run the 3-4 defense?

Houndawg
May 8th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Are they going to run the 3-4 defense?

xnodx

darell1976
May 8th, 2014, 06:39 PM
xnodx

I wish SIU luck in the upcoming season!!

clenz
May 8th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Tenn Tech, Liberty and they'll pull out one MVFC victory.

xconfusedx

xlolx

centennial
May 8th, 2014, 07:07 PM
xconfusedx

xlolx

I cheer for MVFC OOC so our SOS will be high and we can get more teams in.

Who am I kidding, we will still get 2-3 even if we are rated over mountain west.

clenz
May 8th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I cheer for MVFC OOC so our SOS will be high and we can get more teams in.

Who am I kidding, we will still get 2-3 even if we are rated over mountain west.The MFVC could have a combined zero losses in the OOC and still get 2 teams in.

Yotes
May 8th, 2014, 08:35 PM
According to SIU fans, the change was long needed. They expect an improvement. I don't follow SIU enough to say if that is correct or not.
I don't follow them closely either, but I'd be surprised if they improved this season. Replacing like every single coach on the staff could be disastrous.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 8th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Clenz...this is for you.

This is how I see UNI's schedule shaking out:

Iowa: ?
Hawaii: W
UNC: W - beatdown here. Starters out by 3rd quarter
ISU: W - see above
USD: W - revenge from last year
SDSU: W - good game but UNI wins
WIU: W - WIU is improving but not enough to win this game
Il St: W - Redbirds have a chance...pretty small one
NDSU: ? - This will be a battle in CF.
SIU: W - SIU can win this one. UNI has not fared well in Carbondale.
MSU: W - MSU has potential in '14.

As I have mentioned in other threads, if UNI stays healthy they will beat down everyone except Iowa, NDSU and probably SIU. Now if the injury-bug happens again, then multiple losses might come. Kollmorgen needs to stay healthy along with DJ.

Right now UNI is the favorite in the Valley and the coaches and media polls in the Valley will have them #1 and deservedly so. They have a ton coming back in '14. Anywhere from 9-11 wins with their schedule IMO.

I love to cheer against the Panthers but you have to give credit where it is due and UNI is one of the best programs in the FCS. '14 could be their year.

IBleedYellow
May 8th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Clenz...this is for you.

This is how I see UNI's schedule shaking out:

Iowa: ?
Hawaii: W
UNC: W - beatdown here. Starters out by 3rd quarter
ISU: W - see above
USD: W - revenge from last year
SDSU: W - good game but UNI wins
WIU: W - WIU is improving but not enough to win this game
Il St: W - Redbirds have a chance...pretty small one
NDSU: ? - This will be a battle in CF.
SIU: W - SIU can win this one. UNI has not fared well in Carbondale.
MSU: W - MSU has potential in '14.

As I have mentioned in other threads, if UNI stays healthy they will beat down everyone except Iowa, NDSU and probably SIU. Now if the injury-bug happens again, then multiple losses might come. Kollmorgen needs to stay healthy along with DJ.

Right now UNI is the favorite in the Valley and the coaches and media polls in the Valley will have them #1 and deservedly so. They have a ton coming back in '14. Anywhere from 9-11 wins with their schedule IMO.

I love to cheer against the Panthers but you have to give credit where it is due and UNI is one of the best programs in the FCS. '14 could be their year.

I agree with everything you said, minus the bold. UNI will never win an FCS title. They are doomed to not, they are UNI.

centennial
May 8th, 2014, 10:56 PM
The MFVC could have a combined zero losses in the OOC and still get 2 teams in.
You think if we won multiple games against the Big 12, 10 and Mountain West we don't get 5 teams in? All hypothetical however, except top 3 MVFC no one is beating BCS teams even in an exceptional year.

clenz
May 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM
You think if we won multiple games against the Big 12, 10 and Mountain West we don't get 5 teams in? All hypothetical however, except top 3 MVFC no one is beating BCS teams even in an exceptional year.

Multiple wins against the B12 didn't do anything last season.

I stand by my statement....

The MVFC could lose zero OOC games and still get just 2 teams into the playoffs....maybe 3 but that's only about a 10% chance.

centennial
May 8th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Multiple wins against the B12 didn't do anything last season.

I stand by my statement....

The MVFC could lose zero OOC games and still get just 2 teams into the playoffs....maybe 3 but that's only about a 10% chance.
I wonder if another FCS conference took down 2 Big 12 teams in a year? I think we were 2-10ish against FBS last year.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 12:05 PM
xnodx

Would you say you prefer the 3-4 defense that Lennon employs over the defense that Jerry Kill used at SIU?

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 12:08 PM
xconfusedx

xlolx

You're right, there are never surprises in football. No one gets hurt, no one has bad games, no one makes bad decisions, the ball never bounces in an inexplicable way. And we're dealing with very mature, 18 - 21 year old men here after all.

The entire season can indeed be exactly predicted on paper. xthumbsupx

clenz
May 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM
You're right, there are never surprises in football. No one gets hurt, no one has bad games, no one makes bad decisions, the ball never bounces in an inexplicable way. And we're dealing with very mature, 18 - 21 year old men here after all.

The entire season can indeed be exactly predicted on paper. xthumbsupx
ISU is actually pretty easy to predict...

Year
Coach

Win

Loss

Tie

Win %

PF

PA

Delta

Lou West

Lou West

Lou West

Trent Miles

Trent Miles

Trent Miles

Trent Miles

Trent Miles

Mike Sanford Sr.

So, other than the 3 good years of Bell Indiana State is 3-65

Their 3 wins have come against Missouri State, Western Illinois, and Quincy...with a loss to Quincy

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Therefore it's impossible for them to win three games this year? OK, noted.

clenz
May 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Therefore it's impossible for them to win three games this year? OK, noted.
Couple the history with just how bad they really are...yes.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 01:13 PM
It's a valid guess, but so is mine.

underdawg
May 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Would you say you prefer the 3-4 defense that Lennon employs over the defense that Jerry Kill used at SIU?

I prefer the 3-4 Lennon now runs to that Bubba Ran when he was given the keys to the Defense by Lennon--and Lennon has admitted he prefers his version tooxpeacex

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I prefer the 3-4 Lennon now runs to that Bubba Ran when he was given the keys to the Defense by Lennon--and Lennon has admitted he prefers his version tooxpeacex

Fair enough, but I like what Kill has done, as I assume most SIU and NIU fans do. Claeys is running a 4-3 at Minnesota, guessing he did at both previous stops too.

Houndawg
May 9th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Depends on who the players are, I think that's more important than the scheme.

Obviously Kill could recruit rings around Lennon. Recall that Lennon's first year he had Kill's players who were recruited to play the 4-3 switch to the 3-4 and they made the playoffs even though they had to play base 3-4 90% of the time because of the learning curve.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 04:00 PM
So having a good feel for the types of players that can be convinced to sign with SIU, which scheme did/do you prefer?

Houndawg
May 9th, 2014, 04:28 PM
So having a good feel for the types of players that can be convinced to sign with SIU, which scheme did/do you prefer?

Some players are better in the 3-4 and some in the 4-3. I think both types can be recruited at this level. We've had good defenses with both

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Ok, fair enough.

In my time as an NDSU fan, there has never been anything outside a 4-3 scheme. So color me partial to that. I don't really get 3-4 schemes and don't have much desire to get them. That' was always a "UND thing" to me (which they implemented specifically to combat NDSU's veer triple option offense)

MplsBison
May 9th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Ok, fair enough.

In my time as an NDSU fan, there has never been anything outside a 4-3 scheme as the base defense (not to say various coordinators have tinkered with different things in different situations). So color me partial to that. I don't really get 3-4 schemes and don't have much desire to get them. That' was always a "UND thing" to me.

Houndawg
May 9th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Ok, fair enough.

In my time as an NDSU fan, there has never been anything outside a 4-3 scheme as the base defense (not to say various coordinators have tinkered with different things in different situations). So color me partial to that. I don't really get 3-4 schemes and don't have much desire to get them. That' was always a "UND thing" to me.

Nothing wrong with the 4-3 and its worked well for NDSU. I think the season before last SIU's 3-4 gave NDSU's offense a pretty tough game. They also scored 10 defensive TDs and forced 22 TOs that season but spent way too much time on the field because of our pitiful excuse for an offense.

underdawg
May 11th, 2014, 12:06 AM
In MVC draft news, SIU QB Kory Faulkner signs free agent contract with SF Forty Niners and FB Ray Agnew with Cleveland Browns

mmiller_34
May 11th, 2014, 01:38 AM
SDSU's Doug Peete and Bryan Witzmann signed free-agent contracts with the Houston Texans.

Houndawg
May 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM
In MVC draft news, SIU QB Kory Faulkner signs free agent contract with SF Forty Niners and FB Ray Agnew with Cleveland Browns

Agnew may get a chance to block Saluki Jayson DiManche when they play Cinncinnati

MplsBison
May 11th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Turner was drafted in the 3rd round by the Dolphins from NDSU. QB Jensen signed a FA deal, also with the fins, as did CB Williams (Texans) and S Shepherd (Redskins).

Houndawg
May 11th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Turner was drafted in the 3rd round by the Dolphins from NDSU. QB Jensen signed a FA deal, also with the fins, as did CB Williams (Texans) and S Shepherd (Redskins).

Wow. I'm surprised to hear only one player was drafted. When they played SIU the players that impressed me most were the safeties, surely they'll get a look somewhere?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Wow. I'm surprised to hear only one player was drafted. When they played SIU the players that impressed me most were the safeties, surely they'll get a look somewhere?

Sorry bro, they were only Juniors. You get another dose of them next season.

Houndawg
May 11th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Sorry bro, they were only Juniors. You get another dose of them next season.

**** me to tears.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM

As N4E said, they're both back.

Dudzik and Heagle are both 2010 high school graudates who will be fifth year seniors in 2014 for NDSU. Although, it's worth mentioning that Heagle played (and started part of the season) as a true freshman. But he got a fifth season because he was done after two games in 2012.

LakesBizun
May 11th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Who was that moron that guaranteed Williams would be drafted in the 2nd round?

Yotes
May 11th, 2014, 02:11 PM
USD's Tyler Starr got picked by the Falcons in the 7th round.

We also had DB Jarrid Bryant get picked up by the Rams.

Center Cody O'Neil has also been invited to mini camp with the Vikings.

underdawg
May 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM
i can't wait to see them take on a block or two from new SIU FB Mik'il McCall--it ought to be interesting

- - - Updated - - -

i can't wait to see the NDSU safeties take on a block or two from new SIU FB Mik'il McCall--it ought to be interesting

centennial
May 11th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Who was that moron that guaranteed Williams would be drafted in the 2nd round?
You?

Houndawg
May 11th, 2014, 04:31 PM
i can't wait to see them take on a block or two from new SIU FB Mik'il McCall--it ought to be interesting

- - - Updated - - -

i can't wait to see the NDSU safeties take on a block or two from new SIU FB Mik'il McCall--it ought to be interesting

Be nice to have another John Goode type FB. Saw him pancake LBs more than once.

underdawg
May 11th, 2014, 04:39 PM
mik'il is 230 now and has pipes the size of most humans' legs--he has been humbled by Lennon saying that in order to get back on the team he would not be allowed to have even one carry this spring--and he didn't. He was only suppose to block and you could hear the contact up in the stands. I think he has the potential to be a great blocking FB--plus he can catch out of the backfield too---but look for Lennon to surprise some opponent by giving McCall a carry from the FB spot in a key situation this fall too.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Hopefully one of our LBs will fit the run formation well enough to take on the FB, rather than it being a safety!

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU's defense will ready for anything SIU throws at them....xthumbsupx

citdog
May 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM
It's NDSU until someone beats them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhRFnUn72E

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 11th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Woooooooooooooo!!!!!!

dewey
May 11th, 2014, 11:17 PM

Woooooooooo! I love me some vintage Richard Flair styling and profiling.

Dewey