PDA

View Full Version : Lack of diversity in HBCU football programs. (coaches, players, support staff)

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Why? It's 2014 and diversity STILL does not exist on HBCU football playing campii (plural campus; screw websters :D ). Why is diversity missing in D-I FCS HBCU football ops?

Where is Texas Terror? Others dislike him, good for you. I'm not one of those who has disdain for TT. I've embraced my mirror'd mindset that has a WILL and tenacity to win while speaking badly of you in a sarcastic belittling way lol. I'd love for TT to be employed @ PVAMU and hold him accountable, via trackable metrics of accountability, to his position's performance, as we would other employed staffers as well. TT has a niche talent that could be directed and utilized for program(s) betterment (he knows more about SWAC history and current occurrences than I could ever pretend to - seriously xlolx ). Sorry for using you as the 'rabbit' TT but I wanted to make a point.

The lack of diversity in the football operations, coaching ranks, support staff, et al @ division-I FCS football participating HBCUs is overly concerning. If you can name onesies and twosies here and there, it is nothing short of more stolid evidence that there is indeed a diversity problem and the problem is actually contributing to the overall demise of "HBCU" football that was once a powerful force, in terms of competivity.

Discuss. xcoffeex ps: check the emotions @ the door and use the gray matter 'tween the ears; I've been noting this for well over 25yrs

Sader87
February 27th, 2014, 12:42 PM
"competitivity?" Really???

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for proof'ing, Sader - I didn't. Care to contribute to the discussion now?

xrolleyesx

Sader87
February 27th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I think the HBCU's in general are probably on borrowed time (institutionally not just as football programs).

Actually a lot of colleges/universities probably are with the changing of higher education i.e. more online education, growth of technical schools etc. It wouldn't shock me if a fair amount of FCS schools either close or drop football in the foreseeable future.

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Actually a lot of colleges/universities probably are with the changing of higher education i.e. more online education, growth of technical schools etc.

Interesting, Sader. That's a more recent trend that I've noted over the last several (yrs): online education, plethora of tech programs, even HSs have joined the fray w/ specific 6-9mos certs.

However, the lack of diversity on current D-I football participating HBCU campii is not being discussed. Why are a majority of D-I HBCUs seemingly segregating and thusly limiting themselves?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you that HBCU coaches would take good white players willing to attend an HBCU. Coaches certainly do not have the luxury to be discriminatory when it comes to players.

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you that HBCU coaches would take good white players willing to attend an HBCU. Coaches certainly do not have the luxury to be discriminatory when it comes to players.

I don't doubt your words FCS_pwns but from where I'm looking, I'm not so sure they are actively going out and recruiting them. :( They are not targeting the high schools, JUCOs,... nothing. :( And if they are, they are mighty quiet about it (no spoken or written words stating "interest" in specific student-athletes).

I'll give you 2 prime examples just in the greater houston area: Katy HS and The Woodlands HS. Both are D-I football factories of several flavors of kids yet I see zero interest by local HBCUs recruiting at either. Also, the coaching staff lack of diversification is another issue unto itself. Alcorn State's HC shouldn't be the exception, I would think.

BluBengal07
February 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
xcoffeex

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 04:39 PM
The quietness is pissing me off. xmadx

TT, get your arse in here and speak on this. xmadx

CID1990
February 27th, 2014, 04:52 PM
88, diversity is just PC speak for "less white".

HBCUs are already there.

Unless you are wondering why there isn't more Mexican or Bangladeshi participation at HBCUs

centennial
February 27th, 2014, 06:52 PM
The quietness is pissing me off. xmadx

TT, get your arse in here and speak on this. xmadx
Tell you what Panther. I like your drive.. If you are interested in making a website to petition I will do the work for free. What ever you want to say, I'll help you put it out there. Whining on a FCS website will do nothing.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mahatma_gandhi.html)

dgtw
February 27th, 2014, 09:03 PM
A white kid from my son's high school signed with an HBCU this year.

Go Green
February 27th, 2014, 10:04 PM
I take it there isn't going to be a remake or sequel anytime soon?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082468/

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 10:05 PM
88, diversity is just PC speak for "less white".

HBCUs are already there.

xconfusedx

- - - Updated - - -

Tell you what Panther. I like your drive.. If you are interested in making a website to petition I will do the work for free. What ever you want to say, I'll help you put it out there. Whining on a FCS website will do nothing.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mahatma_gandhi.html)

+1 and true. That's why I've been preaching the gospel for well over 20+ years now. xsmhx

- - - Updated - - -

xlolx well hell

It's the forbidden subject. lol

nwFL Griz
February 28th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Seems to me, everyone is kinda missing what Panther88 is getting at. Unless I misunderstand, he is wondering why nearly every position from head coach to towel boy, and in most cases, the whole AD, at HBCU schools are primarily black.

Did I get it right Panther?

FormerPokeCenter
February 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM

What sorta punting average did he have...or....alternatively, what's his longest field goal so far??

Panther88
February 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Seems to me, everyone is kinda missing what Panther88 is getting at. Unless I misunderstand, he is wondering why nearly every position from head coach to towel boy, and in most cases, the whole AD, at HBCU schools are primarily black.

You sir. You read Panther88'nese quite well. That's PRECISELY what I was alluding to. :( It's a HIGHLY segregated environment and it's painfully obvious.

Panther88
February 28th, 2014, 11:55 AM
What sorta punting average did he have...or....alternatively, what's his longest field goal so far??

FormerPoke, it's just sad... But you forgot another "position." :( xsmhx Deep snapper/FG snapper. xsmhx

I've SEEN hella' WRs, RBs, OT, OG, QB, TE, DE, LB, CB, SS, FS, DE, NT, ... HC, position coaches, ADs, SIDs, ... of non-color, and they are NOT being recruited/salaried. :( It's 2014. I thought segregation was over. :(

wheatstraw78
February 28th, 2014, 12:05 PM
^^^^^^^^Stephen, is that you?

GAD
February 28th, 2014, 01:00 PM

If thats his issue scratch Southern U off that list every coaching position on our staff with the exception of HC has been held but someone who was not black.

Scooter
February 28th, 2014, 01:32 PM
You sir. You read Panther88'nese quite well. That's PRECISELY what I was alluding to. :( It's a HIGHLY segregated environment and it's painfully obvious.

Here is a story,

There once was a Jellybean country that forced all the black jellybeans to work for nothing. They treated the black jellybeans terribly. The candy in the nothern part of the counry won a war to free the black jellybeans from oppression...but they still prejudged the black jelly beans. Now there came a time that the concept of education for the black jellybean began to be debated. The other candy didn't want their educational facilities to be contaminated with black jelly beans, so they set up black jellybean universities (JBU) to keep them away from the rest of the good candy. Then, about fifty years ago, the supream court of Jellybeanland decided that black jellybeans should be able to go to school wherever they wanted, not just the schools set up for them. The rest of the candy was extreamly hostile towards the brave black jellybeans who paved the way for the others. Now fifty years later, the black jellybeans that went to the BJU sent their children to their almamatter and their children went also. The star athletes and students loved the school and came back and became teachers and coaches and developed a tight nit bond. They had less resourses and opportunities outside of the JBU because frankly, it takes a long time to undue the damage of predudice. Now, one day a Panther looked into the school that was set up to keep the black jellybeans separate and was SHOCKED to find that most all of the jellybeans at the university were still black! Oh, the horror of it all! I must make people aware of this injustice because red, green and orange jellybeans don't appear to be getting positions on the JBU football team or coaching staff! This is reverse racism!!! I'll start a thread on AnyGiven Saturday to let all my other breathern know about this. Now where is the Racist font???

citdog
February 28th, 2014, 01:39 PM
won a war to "free the black jellybeans from oppression"

Your understanding of history is quite infantile.

Scooter
February 28th, 2014, 01:47 PM
oh, that's right...the south shall rise again!!!

LMMFAO.

MR. CHICKEN
February 28th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Here is a story,

There once was a Jellybean country that forced all the black jellybeans to work for nothing. They treated the black jellybeans terribly. The candy in the nothern part of the counry won a war to free the black jellybeans from oppression...but they still prejudged the black jelly beans. Now there came a time that the concept of education for the black jellybean began to be debated. The other candy didn't want their educational facilities to be contaminated with black jelly beans, so they set up black jellybean universities (JBU) to keep them away from the rest of the good candy. Then, about fifty years ago, the supream court of Jellybeanland decided that black jellybeans should be able to go to school wherever they wanted, not just the schools set up for them. The rest of the candy was extreamly hostile towards the brave black jellybeans who paved the way for the others. Now fifty years later, the black jellybeans that went to the BJU sent their children to their almamatter and their children went also. The star athletes and students loved the school and came back and became teachers and coaches and developed a tight nit bond. They had less resourses and opportunities outside of the JBU because frankly, it takes a long time to undue the damage of predudice. Now, one day a Panther looked into the school that was set up to keep the black jellybeans separate and was SHOCKED to find that most all of the jellybeans at the university were still black! Oh, the horror of it all! I must make people aware of this injustice because red, green and orange jellybeans don't appear to be getting positions on the football team or coaching staff!JBUThis is reverse racism!!! I'll start a thread on AnyGiven Saturday to let all my other breathern know about this. Now where is the Racist font???

18858.........WHATTAH 'BOUT....DUH...PINK/PURPLE....JELLYBEANS.....xeyebrowx....AWK!

Scooter
February 28th, 2014, 01:56 PM
No Mr.CHICKEN the pink/purple jelly beans are gay...we hate them. (sarcasm)

citdog
February 28th, 2014, 02:04 PM
oh, that's right...the south shall rise again!!!

LMMFAO.

"If I thought this board was about the civil war I would resign my commission and offer a quote from Lt. Genl US Grant"

citdog

Panther88
February 28th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Here is a story,

There once was a Jellybean country that forced all the black jellybeans to work for nothing. They treated the black jellybeans terribly. The candy in the nothern part of the counry won a war to free the black jellybeans from oppression...but they still prejudged the black jelly beans. Now there came a time that the concept of education for the black jellybean began to be debated. The other candy didn't want their educational facilities to be contaminated with black jelly beans, so they set up black jellybean universities (JBU) to keep them away from the rest of the good candy. Then, about fifty years ago, the supream court of Jellybeanland decided that black jellybeans should be able to go to school wherever they wanted, not just the schools set up for them. The rest of the candy was extreamly hostile towards the brave black jellybeans who paved the way for the others. Now fifty years later, the black jellybeans that went to the BJU sent their children to their almamatter and their children went also. The star athletes and students loved the school and came back and became teachers and coaches and developed a tight nit bond. They had less resourses and opportunities outside of the JBU because frankly, it takes a long time to undue the damage of predudice. Now, one day a Panther looked into the school that was set up to keep the black jellybeans separate and was SHOCKED to find that most all of the jellybeans at the university were still black! Oh, the horror of it all! I must make people aware of this injustice because red, green and orange jellybeans don't appear to be getting positions on the JBU football team or coaching staff! This is reverse racism!!! I'll start a thread on AnyGiven Saturday to let all my other breathern know about this. Now where is the Racist font???

But Scooter, even the white jellybeans @ JWUs have integrated. *gasp!* *gasp!* So, why haven't the JBUs? lol

Scooter
February 28th, 2014, 02:45 PM
"If I thought this war was to abolish slavery I would resign my commission and offer my sword to the South"

Lt. Genl US Grant

"Well, that just proves Lt. General US Grant was a dick." - me 2/28/2014

Panther88
February 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
"Well, that just proves Lt. General US Grant was a dick." - me 2/28/2014

You're funny Scoot. lol xlolx But, urrrraaaaaaaaaaa... JBU segregating and JWU integrated, can we get back to that?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM
"If I thought this board was about the civil war I would resign my commission and offer a quote from Lt. Genl US Grant"

citdog

good call.

dgtw
February 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM

He is going to be a long snapper.

FormerPokeCenter
February 28th, 2014, 06:02 PM
He is going to be a long snapper.

Awesome! Generally, when you find a white kid on an HBCU roster, he's usually involved in the kicking game somehow... ;)

Panther88
February 28th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Awesome! Generally, when you find a white kid on an HBCU roster, he's usually involved in the kicking game somehow... ;)

It's just a sad situation all the way around man. xsmhx

The voice of Danny Amendola...
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/410/635/hi-res-7365934_crop_north.jpg
"At Texas Tech, I was a star WR and now NFL star. At Prairie View A&M, I would've been the deep snapper. :(" xsmhx

GAD
February 28th, 2014, 09:47 PM
One of our best returning WRs and some say the fastest guy on the team is white Mike Jones
and one of our best centers IMO Brett Clark was also white

JROCK
February 28th, 2014, 11:46 PM
This is a situation that is not as simplistic as the Sean Hannity fans would like to make it. HBCU(s) recruit white players but many will not come because they see what is perceived in their minds as a better situation at HWCU(s). Many of the bashers see exactly what they want to. For example, in the heart of SWAC Country (AL, LA, MS), on an average, 11% of whites voted for President Obama. This is a tangible example of the type of mindsets that black individuals and institutions deal with in these respective states. It is the cancerous, antiquated mindsets of many in these states that play a prominent role that inhibits the maximization of mainstreaming of whites in many programs at historical AA institutions. The court ordered settlement of higher education degegration suits in these states along with remedies to gain equilibrium in integration has not been successful for intended goals. Athletics is merely a microcosm of AA institituions. If one looks at the general population of HWCU and make a comparison to the percentage of black athletes to the general population, the numbers would be grossly skewed. There is a long history of systematic neglect (economically and institutionally) both internally and externally that plays a role in the conditions that permeates what one is visualizing but put little thought in before making warped assessments.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/10/1159759/-Percent-of-White-vote-won-by-Obama-2012-by-state#

ejjones
March 1st, 2014, 12:08 AM
Don't think this is accurate...SC State has 9 assistant coaches...news flash, 6 are white, including both coordinators. BTW, we're looking for a new AD, DC, and I think DB coach. If you're qualified, regardless of ethnicity--put in an application.

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 12:21 AM
This is a situation that is not as simplistic as the Sean Hannity fans would like to make it. HBCU(s) recruit white players but many will not come because they see what is perceived in their minds as a better situation at HWCU(s). Many of the bashers see exactly what they want to. For example, in the heart of SWAC Country (AL, LA, MS), on an average, 11% of whites voted for President Obama. This is a tangible example of the type of mindsets that black individuals and institutions deal with in these respective states. It is the cancerous, antiquated mindsets of many in these states that play a prominent role that inhibits the maximization of mainstreaming of whites in many programs at historical AA institutions. The court ordered settlement of higher education degegration suits in these states along with remedies to gain equilibrium in integration has not been successful for intended goals. Athletics is merely a microcosm of AA institituions. If one looks at the general population of HWCU and make a comparison to the percentage of black athletes to the general population, the numbers would be grossly skewed. There is a long history of systematic neglect (economically and institutionally) both internally and externally that plays a role in the conditions that permeates what one is visualizing but put little thought in before making warped assessments.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/10/1159759/-Percent-of-White-vote-won-by-Obama-2012-by-state#

So the fact that the people in those States disagree with you politically and chose not to vote for the guy you like they are racist?

WOW!

and who has the WARPED assessments again?

JROCK
March 1st, 2014, 12:52 AM
So the fact that the people in those States disagree with you politically and chose not to vote for the guy you like they are racist?

WOW!

and who has the WARPED assessments again?

You used the word "racism" not I. What I see is ignorance as opposed to racism. President Obama's policies speak to more than 11% of poor whites in the states I talked about. If one is not intelligent enough to vote in their best interest, it is pure ignorance. It is not by chance that these are three of the poorest states in the country (Ms. 50, AL 46, LA 44). Republican policies don't represent this demographic predominately but these people for the most part, are not intelligent enough to save themselves (ignorance). I'm not going to get in a long diatribe about the obvious. This situation ("Lack of Diversity at HBCU(s)") is not surface like some would like to believe.

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 01:13 AM
You used the word "racism" not I. What I see is ignorance as opposed to racism. President Obama's policies speak to more than 11% of poor whites in the states I talked about. If one is not intelligent to vote in their best interest, it is pure ignorance. It is not by chance that these are three of the poorest states in the country (Ms. 50, AL 46, LA 44). Republican policies don't represnet this demographic predominately but these people for the most part, are not intelligent enough to save themselves (ignorance). I'm not going to get in a long diatribe about the obvious. This situation ("Lack of Diversity at HBCU(s)") is not surface like some would like to believe.

Obviously the people in those States disagree with you. Are ALL the rest of the 59% of Americans who disapprove of the job the current President is doing backwoods, ignorant, crackers?

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 01:22 AM
Don't think this is accurate...SC State has 9 assistant coaches...news flash, 6 are white, including both coordinators. BTW, we're looking for a new AD, DC, and I think DB coach. If you're qualified, regardless of ethnicity--put in an application.

Buddy Pough is one of the best. Really admire the way he handles his business.

JROCK
March 1st, 2014, 01:41 AM
Obviously the people in those States disagree with you. Are ALL the rest of the 59% of Americans who disapprove of the job the current President is doing backwoods, ignorant, crackers?

We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic. Polls can be manipulated and made to say anything the author(s) care for it to say. What cannot be disputed is the POTUS won a majority of the popular vote and was elected twice with 2012 vote as an obvious endorsement of his work/agenda. This country has an issue with gerrymandering congressional districts. As a result you have a do nothing congress that represent ignorant people and don't work in the best interest of the majority. In layman's term, their agenda is I didn't get who I wanted in office so consequently, I will be an obstructionist and hurt the country as a whole. You can make the determination of whether their 13% approval rating is manipulated. Again, the state of diversity not only at HBCU(s) but at HBWU(s) have a rhyme to the reason they are in the current states. The party of the south has culpability and is a microcosm (facilitated by the ignorant folks who interest they don't represent) and is a microcosm in perpetuating the ignorance some choose to hypocritically pass off on HBCU(s).

JROCK
March 1st, 2014, 01:46 AM
BTW, do the people reading these threads know what you all are doing behind the scenes. Can you all not handle an opposing view:

Latest Reputation Received (35 point(s) total)

March 1st, 2014 01:38 AM
citdog (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?185-citdog)

Thread: Lack of diversity in HBCU football programs. (coaches, players, support staff) (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?152335-Lack-of-diversity-in-HBCU-football-programs-(coaches-players-support-staff)&p=2096817#post2096817)
A SERIOUSLY WEAK SAUCE argument.
January 8th, 2010 08:42 AM
TexasTerror (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?223-TexasTerror)

Thread: McNeese-Southern Smack (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?67814-McNeese-Southern-Smack&p=1505477#post1505477)
Offensive remarks about those with special needs.

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 01:50 AM
BTW, do the people reading these threads know what you all are doing behind the scenes. Can you all not handle and opposing view:

Thread: Lack of diversity in HBCU football programs. (coaches, players, support staff) (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?152335-Lack-of-diversity-in-HBCU-football-programs-(coaches-players-support-staff)&p=2096817#post2096817)

Thread: McNeese-Southern Smack (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?67814-McNeese-Southern-Smack&p=1505477#post1505477)

If you have a problem with positive rep points there is the other kind.....

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, do the people reading these threads know what you all are doing behind the scenes. Can you all not handle and opposing view:

JROCK
March 1st, 2014, 01:51 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I don't post very much on this board so wasn't sure about it........So, I put it out here to get feed back. If it's positive then thumbs up...(on TSPN a notification is normally a bad thing).

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 01:57 AM
I don't post very much on this board so wasn't sure about it........So, I put it out here to get feed back. If it's positive then thumbs up...

Green means positive
Red means negative

Dude you really kind of stepped on your schmeckle with old school golf shoes on. Do you really believe that if people don't agree with you that they are stupid or ignorant? I don't agree with Nodak but I DON'T think he's STUPID........

JROCK
March 1st, 2014, 02:04 AM
Green means positive
Red means negative

Dude you really kind of stepped on your schmeckle with old school golf shoes on. Do you really believe that if people don't agree with you that they are stupid or ignorant? I don't agree with Nodak but I DON'T think he's STUPID........

I didn't call no one in particular stupid or ignorant. I referred to a demographic as being ignorant. Big business affiliates for example that opposed the POTUS voted in their best interest. However, you are not juxtaposing the topic of the thread to the demographics I'm referring to so I understand how you came to that faulty conclusion. For example oil executives are not coming to the SWAC to play football neither their children which is understandable. These are not the folks I'm targeting.

ejjones
March 1st, 2014, 02:45 AM
Buddy Pough is one of the best. Really admire the way he handles his business.
He has his shortcomings...hopefully, he's learning to do better on game day. I'll take him any day. Hellava recruiter.

FormerPokeCenter
March 1st, 2014, 10:38 AM
I don't post very much on this board so wasn't sure about it........So, I put it out here to get feed back. If it's positive then thumbs up...(on TSPN a notification is normally a bad thing).

Judging by the comments on the feedback...Citdog positive repped you....TT negative repped you...

Negative Rep is the sole province of whiny bitches ;)

CID1990
March 1st, 2014, 02:45 PM

What I take away from your War and Peace length rambling is that 11% of white voters going for Obama is somehow bad, but 98% of black voters going for Obama isn't mentionable.

HBCUs are self-segregating. If they ever approached true diversity there would be an outcry.

CID1990
March 1st, 2014, 02:47 PM
He has his shortcomings...hopefully, he's learning to do better on game day. I'll take him any day. Hellava recruiter.

When are we getting a El Cid - SCSU series going? I see no reason not to play every year. You guys would put at least 5000 more butts in the seats than any other non conference opponents.

Panther88
March 1st, 2014, 06:34 PM
HBCUs are self-segregating. If they ever approached true diversity there would be an outcry.

xreadx

It's amazing to witness this. xsmhx

centennial
March 1st, 2014, 07:02 PM
Wow, this thread. You know the thing about using big words? People often get caught using them incorrectly. Those incoherent rants were "fun" to read. BTW I am ashamed that someone on this thread is trying to explain racism with political views.

ejjones
March 1st, 2014, 07:50 PM
When are we getting a El Cid - SCSU series going? I see no reason not to play every year. You guys would put at least 5000 more butts in the seats than any other non conference opponents.
Great question...we should always look to maximize on local, quality opponents. Maybe Elzy will help revive.

citdog
March 1st, 2014, 07:55 PM
Great question...we should always look to maximize on local, quality opponents. Maybe Elzy will help revive.

The games were competitive and spirited. I enjoyed the series.

Go Green
March 1st, 2014, 09:52 PM
Green means positive

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!

:)

JROCK
March 2nd, 2014, 12:15 AM
What I take away from your War and Peace length rambling is that 11% of white voters going for Obama is somehow bad, but 98% of black voters going for Obama isn't mentionable.

I disagree with your perspective (editorial included). Obama policies if reconciled to republicans, roughly represent that percentage. In contrast, his polices certainly represent more than 11% of Whites in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. These are the same folks that you allege have no culpability in mainstreaming HBCU(s) under the guise that "HBCU(s) are self segregating." We'll have to agree to disagree........

JROCK
March 2nd, 2014, 12:21 AM
BTW..........This is the last simple notification I received. I think some would find it interesting:

Nickels (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?39897-Nickels)
Go to hell race baiter. People didn't vote for Obama because he's a ****ing lying tyrant, not because he's black.

Nickels
March 2nd, 2014, 08:35 AM
BTW..........This is the last simple notification I received. I think some would find it interesting:

Nickels (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?39897-Nickels)
Go to hell race baiter. People didn't vote for Obama because he's a ****ing lying tyrant, not because he's black.

I stand by my words.

race baiter (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=race%20baiter&defid=4266930)
One who insinuates that racism or bigotry is a dominant factor with regards to an event that either does not involve race or in which diverse cultures are involved are simply a minor element.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDbTaWpwoc

Go Green
March 2nd, 2014, 08:59 AM
And this thread gets moved to the Lounge in three.... two...

citdog
March 2nd, 2014, 01:41 PM
I disagree with your perspective (editorial included). Obama policies if reconciled to republicans, roughly represent that percentage. In contrast, his polices certainly represent more than 11% of Whites in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. These are the same folks that you allege have no culpability in mainstreaming HBCU(s) under the guise that "HBCU(s) are self segregating." We'll have to agree to disagree........

It's so much easier to blame others than it is to SERIOUSLY examine the issues, and they are LEGION, in your own community.

AshevilleApp2
March 2nd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Here is a story,

Spell check is a good tool. Do you write for the Asheville Citizen Times by any chance?

jimbo65
March 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
I must have been born at night. What is HBCU

MR. CHICKEN
March 2nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
18863.......IT'S WHERE......MOSTLY......BLACK JELLYBEANS......GO....TA GET HIGHER ED'D......SOME WHITE JELLYBEANS GO...TA KICK FOOTBALLS.....HBCU = HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES.....(MEAC SQWADS FO' EXAMPLE).....;)....AWK!

bigchocolate
March 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM

If I recall correctly, The Dogs from Charleston will not travel to Orangeburg!!!! All games in the series has been played in Charleston...

citdog
March 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
If I recall correctly, The Dogs from Charleston will not travel to Orangeburg!!!! All games in the series has been played in Charleston...

You were not drawing NEAR what you draw now when we played that series. Who WON those games again? xnodx

JROCK
March 2nd, 2014, 10:31 PM
I stand by my words.

race baiter (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=race%20baiter&defid=4266930)
One who insinuates that racism or bigotry is a dominant factor with regards to an event that either does not involve race or in which diverse cultures are involved are simply a minor element.

You are part of the problem and cancerous mind sets that I spoke of. You have no interest in connecting the faulty premise of this thread to the points I made. There is a correlation to the fact that places like New York, Oregon and California whites voted 52, 49 and 45 percent respectively for Obama and don't have the need for HBCU(s) in their states. No, HBCU(s) are not the sole culprit of the current state of higher education and athletics in the three states I referred to. Next time post your cowardly perspective in the thread as opposed to sending me cross burning notifications in the middle of the night.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
The reason HBCU's lack White students, administrators, coaches, etc. is because most Whites won't work for or attend a "Black" school. Further, the White student and/or employee must be willing to endure the contempt and bitterness directed at him/her as a representative of the "continued oppression" minorities are taught is the root of all challenges.

Racial harmony in the US would interfere with the power derived by keeping Whites "on the hook" for the sins of their ancestors. White Liberals are complicit in their self-imposed guilt and Conservatives are labeled as racists or "Tom's" if they question the White Guilt policies of appeasement.

I'm your huckleberry if you want to discuss facts and history in the lounge. HBCU's won't go away and the Whites attending will be those acculturated in majority Black public schools or athletes who didn't have other offers.

Ironically, a policy in Georgia designed to integrate Savannah State and Armstrong State led to Georgia Southern growth. The Board of regents swapped Armstrong's college of business with Savannah State's college of education and black education students went across town to Armstrong while white business students went to Statesboro and Georgia Southern College which only had an enrollment of about 4,000 at the time.

DFW HOYA
March 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
There's a legitimate discussion point there about the need to balance interests of diversity against that of institutional identities, changing demographics and reduced state funding, but it'll likely get sidetracked.

FormerPokeCenter
March 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Over time, I think you'll see HBCUs follow the lead of the previously HFCUs, where the student demographic changes somewhat, but students will choose to attend to take advantage of degree programs that are either geographically convenient or which become known for their quality...

Look at Wheaton in Boston and Wells College in New York...my step sisters attended Wheaton when it was female-only and I have another friend who was among the first males admitted in the late 1980's...He joked about it being a target rich environment, but says that it was a great school...

I have a cousin who was President of Wells back when it was female only. In 2004, they started admitting men...

While the dynamics aren't the same, I think you'll see more white students looking at HBCUs as a viable option. Here in Louisiana, for instance, lots of white law students opt for Southern U's Law School...part of the reason was, I think, because Loyola in New Orleans dropped its night school program. I think Southern may have jumped to fill that void by offering an evening curriculum...

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 01:01 PM
Some of you are completely clueless what the demographics are walking around HBCU campuses in 2014!

bigchocolate
March 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
You were not drawing NEAR what you draw now when we played that series. Who WON those games again? xnodx

The Citadel won all games played between the two schools...someone had to win, both teams sucked when this series was played. When two sorry teams play, I'll always favor the home team. Would love to renew the series but with a home and home arrangement only.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
Some of you are completely clueless what the demographics are walking around HBCU campuses in 2014!
I did some looking around at some statistics from the past couple years, from the school's websites...

Average ACT for this school for entering freshman in 2011 (older I know but most recent I could quickly find)...16.5
Average SAT for the same school in the same year 810

In 2011 at one school there were 4900 students...4100 were black...93 white/non hispanic

Most of the other schools I looked at weren't any different.

How are we "clueless" with what is walking around on campus. Those are numbers pulled straight from their schools website enrollment stats.

I'd say those numbers match my preconceived notions of those schools to nearly a perfect t.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 01:41 PM
I know nothing of this school...nothing...other than what the school website tells me.

9700 students
8700ish students of race A
200 students non minority total
Average incoming ACT 17
Average incoming SAT 823
Admission rate 55%

That tells me it is a very racially divided campus with relatively low admission standards from the academic side of things....yet are really picky with who they admit - wonder why?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Search St. Phillip's College

- - - Updated - - -

Search Texas Southern University

West Virginia State University

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
By comparison I'll put up UNI

13K students
90% white
10% minority
Average ACT 24
Average SAT 1100
Acceptance rate 70%

So UNI is in an area with FAR less racial diversity with much higher admission standards yet finds a way to attract proportionally more "minorities" than the previously mentioned HBCU...which is in area with a nearly uncountable % more racial diversity.

Nickels
March 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Damn I didn't even know you could get into college with 16-17 ACT much less that being the average.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Search St. Phillip's College

- - - Updated - - -

Search Texas Southern University

West Virginia State University
Here's a hint...

That 9700 students with 200 non "minority" students with the 17 ACT average and only 55% acceptance rate was TSU....

- - - Updated - - -

Damn I didn't even know you could get into college with 16-17 ACT much less that being the average.
Grambling State baby....

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 02:01 PM
http://thegrio.com/2013/12/19/changes-in-the-hbcu-landscape-may-render-black-civil-rights-lawyers-extinct/

For example, it found that the majority of students at HBCU law schools are no longer black. Of the six such schools, only Howard has an African-American population of more than 55 percent. Three of these schools have student bodies that are less than half black, with one as low as 29 percent. Young explains that, “the problem isn’t a lack of HBCU law school spots for prospective black students[. T]hey are merely choosing to attend majority law schools.”
As a result, there is a much smaller rate of black students graduating from HBCU law schools compared to years past.

http://www.educationnews.org/articles/historically-black-schools-reflect-changing-demographics-.html

As a white student at a school that has traditionally served African-Americans, Miles Stiles said there is no mystery to why he enrolled at Texas Southern University.
“It was close. It was inexpensive,” he said. “It was a practical decision.”
Race, he said, “wasn't a huge issue for me.”
Along with other historically black universities around the country, TSU is becoming more diverse, both by design — President John Rudley is aggressively recruiting Latino high school students — and as a reflection of the changing communities around them.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 02:04 PM
About 85 percent of TSU's overall enrollment is African-American, but that drops to 54 percent in the law school and 43 percent in the pharmacy program.
The law school has been named the most diverse in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.

http://www.educationnews.org/articles/historically-black-schools-reflect-changing-demographics-.html#sthash.59WmaH6D.dpuf

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Here's a hint...

That 9700 students with 200 non "minority" students with the 17 ACT average and only 55% acceptance rate was TSU....

- - - Updated - - -

Grambling State baby....

Dude, where are you getting your stats? The Klan Times?

Comparing your alma mater (UNI) to mine (TSU), mine is more diverse. Imagine that! xconfusedx

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 02:07 PM

Comparing your alma mater (UNI) to mine (TSU), mine is more diverse. Imagine that! xconfusedx
The stats are straight from the TSU website.

You live in an area with 10000000x the diversity as Cedar Falls, IA. There SHOULD be more diversity.....the fact that proportionally for the area there isn't is an issue.

MR. CHICKEN
March 3rd, 2014, 02:10 PM

18864........xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxl olxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx....... BRAWK!

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
The stats are straight from the TSU website.

You live in an area with 10000000x the diversity as Cedar Falls, IA. There SHOULD be more diversity.....the fact that proportionally for the area there isn't is an issue.

"Stats straight from the TSU website" huh?

You do know the Hispanic, Asian, Native American and African American enrollment at Texas Southern is classified as "minority right?

So in essence, your alma mater is made up of 90% Anglo "because" that is the makeup of the Cedar Falls area right? So what is UNI doing to make it more diverse? Are they forcing minorities to enroll at gunpoint or is it totally up to that individual student to "choose" where he or she wants to attend?

So if NCCU, TnSU, Florida A&M, Grambling, etc... is in an area that's 80% black, how can they have a equally balanced (diverse) student enrollment (like UNI)?

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM
UNI has done quite a lot to try to drive minority enrollment...which is why it is up greatly over the last decade.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 02:30 PM
UNI has done quite a lot to try to drive minority enrollment...which is why it is up greatly over the last decade.

So why can't my alma mater or any other HBCU minority enrollment can't be doing the same as yours?

So why are you calling OUT HBCUs but bragging on how your alma mater (at 90% white enrollment) should be dislocating their shoulder blade patting itself on the back?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Here's another question for you..... if UNI decides to take away it's football, men and women's basketball programs what would that black enrollment be reduced to?

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Here's another question for you..... if UNI decides to take away it's football, men and women's basketball programs what would that black enrollment be reduced to?Really...not touched at all.

UNI mens basketball has, most years, 1 or 2 african americans - this year is a high number with 3-4
UNI mens basketball has, most years, 1 or 2 african americans - this year is high with 3
UNI football is probably 30-40% of the roster

Take the law program away from TSU and what you do have?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Take the law program away from TSU and what you do have?

Really.... not touched at all as we are just as diverse due to our School of Technology, School of Pharmacy & Health Science and School of Business. xthumbsupx

Go ahead.... it's your turn.

Panther88
March 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
There's a legitimate discussion point there about the need to balance interests of diversity against that of institutional identities, changing demographics and reduced state funding, but it'll likely get sidetracked.

Touchy subject isn't it? Also, one that is quite intriguing how it generates several differing viewpoints. Has the look/feel of the 60s sans internet access. xreadx

"Lack of diversity in HBCU football programs(coaches, players, support staff)"

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2014, 04:35 PM
xlolx

Exactly!

I chimed in when the subject matter switched from the gridiron to the racial component within the classroom.

Had the discussion stayed on the gridiron, I would have probably stayed away from the conversation as Texas Southern's football staff is comprised of a white Defensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach/Director of Football Operations.

Panther88
March 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Slowly, I think PV is moving in a decent direction but I still abhor the #s I saw. They really need to do better.

Sader87
March 3rd, 2014, 11:31 PM
18866"Yeeeeaaaahhh, it would be great if both UNI and all the HBCU's gave up football......ok?"

BluBengal07
March 4th, 2014, 10:45 AM
10 pages huh.
not much productivity other than dribble and degrading comedy. congrats.xcoffeex

Nickels
March 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
10 pages huh.
not much productivity other than dribble and degrading comedy. congrats.xcoffeex
The truth hurts.

BluBengal07
March 4th, 2014, 11:46 AM
The truth hurts.

dude, the thread doesn't impact me like that; maybe for others. enjoy.

yes, there is a lack of diversity, overall. some instructions are making stronger strides than others on improving that. but when it gets to the point someone saying, "self-segregation", their reasoning doesn't support the point(maybe in a few circles though), doesn't support the definition.

but hey, i'm good. carry on.

CID1990
March 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM

You can disagree if you want- HBCUs aren't out there preaching "diversity" nor are they actively recruiting large numbers of white or other students. That's self segregating. Plus, HBCUs tend to be repositories of American black culture. White students aren't going to flock to those schools for that reason among others, and there is really nothing wrong with that. I have a couple white friends who went to NC A&T because of the mech engineering program there, but they were there for purely academic reasons. They socialized and partied at UNC-G.

It is really difficult to tell what you are saying because you are being cryptic (probably unintentionally) but if I understand you correctly you are suggesting that it is somehow someone else's responsibility to "mainstream" HBCUs? Someone's responsibility other than the HBCUs themselves?

FormerPokeCenter
March 4th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Self-segregating implies that they're pro-actively and affirmatively acting to protect the status quo...

I don't see that at all...

Let's not forget that HBCU's filled a vital mission that nobody else was filling. I normally don't ascribe to the relevancy of the whole White Privilege pejorative, but when we try to dictate terms to HBCU's, NOW, when their traditional mission isn't quite as critical, it sorta does reek of White Privilege. They've served a valuable mission, and were the school of only resort for generations...now, suddenly, when the environment is different, we're gonna dictate terms to them and suggest that they need to abandon their mission and set about stepping and fetching more white students simply because WE think is the way things should be?

I say they should determine what their mission is. The market for education will determine the rest....

wheatstraw78
March 4th, 2014, 10:10 PM
xsmileyclapx^^^^^^^^^^^^

citdog
March 4th, 2014, 10:19 PM
White Privilege? Are you sure you and Nickles didn't meet up and burn one pokecenter?

xlolx

Panther88
March 4th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Self-segregating implies that they're pro-actively and affirmatively acting to protect the status quo...

Let's not forget that HBCU's filled a vital mission that nobody else was filling. I normally don't ascribe to the relevancy of the whole White Privilege pejorative, but when we try to dictate terms to HBCU's, NOW, when their traditional mission isn't quite as critical, it sorta does reek of White Privilege. They've served a valuable mission, and were the school of only resort for generations...now, suddenly, when the environment is different, we're gonna dictate terms to them and suggest that they need to abandon their mission and set about stepping and fetching more white students simply because WE think is the way things should be?

I say they should determine what their mission is. The market for education will determine the rest....

Damn you formerpokectr. xlolx Makes too much damned sense BUT... the competitivity level man. It cannot continue w/ the current formula. That does not work, at all. The atrocious #s do not lie. (W-L %)

"It should not be that easy." :( Save the rhetoric about the powerful bison team because a few of the fans have already chimed in saying they wished PVAMU was a decently competitive team. NDSU played their 3rd string waterboys mid-way 3rd qrtr. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VYi6akd3Ag

WileECoyote06
March 5th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Rep points by post and by button press. xthumbsupx

I'll add that integration and assimilation are different. But Panther88, we've spoken about this before; so this isn't to you. It's to the folks who think HBCUs should be forced to 'mainstream'. Which is a weird term anyway, while referring to a college.

JROCK
March 5th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Good Post....