February 20th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Surprising, but I'll be glad to take this. xnodx

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/projecting-the-socon/

Sir William
February 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Written by a Ga Southern grad...wouldn't put much stock in it. xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Generally good for a laugh. I appreciate that there's interest in the SoCon, but I'd prefer genuine well-researched thoughtful interest, not slipshod.

Besides, it's February.

Southern Bison
February 20th, 2014, 10:55 PM
My outside, yet local to SoCon, opinion is that the 2014 SoCon title is Furman's to lose. Samford and Chatty will be fighting for 2nd place while Mercer & the Citadel could sneak into the conversation.

Sidenote: Thanks to OL FU, PhillyApp & Eagle2000 for their hospitality last season and I look forward to seeing y'all again. Citdog, your candy-ass left me SOL for the App @ Citadel game with you moving to sheep****er country.

citdog
February 21st, 2014, 12:30 AM
My outside, yet local to SoCon, opinion is that the 2014 SoCon title is Furman's to lose. Samford and Chatty will be fighting for 2nd place while Mercer & the Citadel could sneak into the conversation.

Sidenote: Thanks to OL FU, PhillyApp & Eagle2000 for their hospitality last season and I look forward to seeing y'all again. Citdog, your candy-ass left me SOL for the App @ Citadel game with you moving to sheep****er country.

it's BEAR ****er country.......**** Bison PAY ATTENTION!

http://users.content.ytmnd.com/7/0/3/703ed95eb1ce2a800783ff76c3979463.jpg

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2014, 05:27 AM

Perhaps. I think Furman and UTC have the least to replace. Samford filled their biggest need with a transfer, but still graduated a lot of talent.

phoenix3
February 21st, 2014, 08:21 AM
Interesting that VMI and Mercer are both picked over an improving WCU.

walliver
February 21st, 2014, 09:31 AM
FU and Chatty are the front runners, and I would give a slight edge to the Mocs.

Wofford and Sammy will be in the hunt.

Citadel, with a new coach is a question mark.

WCU > VMI > Mercer. Mercer will be a factor soon enough, but not this year.

chattownmocs
February 21st, 2014, 09:36 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Wofford
3. Furman
4. Samford
5. WCU
6. The Citadel
5. VMI
8. Mercer

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 21st, 2014, 10:29 AM
Generally good for a laugh. I appreciate that there's interest in the SoCon, but I'd prefer genuine well-researched thoughtful interest, not slipshod.

Besides, it's February.

I respect SP, but I have to really chuckle at the mention of recruiting classes in this. Samford lost Summerlin, Fabian Truss, Chris Cephus, and Kelsey Pope, but man have you seen the recruiting class they have brought in? I haven't seen anything that tells me Samford doesn't have a major rebuilding job on offense that won't be done in time for this season. Did Samford look good in any game last year where Truss didn't play? None that I can think of.

Also Furman has all the returning starters and was arguably a top 5, if not a top 2 team in the playoffs last year, but what about their recruiting?

My order of finish...

1. Furman
2. UTC
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Wester Carolina
7. Mercer
8. VMI

VMI will go winless, Mercer will take one game from some team other than Western and VMI, Furples go 6-1 in conference. Also, Mike Houston will have El Cid playing with the top teams in the conference.

Southern Bison
February 21st, 2014, 10:36 AM
it's BEAR ****er country.......**** Bison PAY ATTENTION!

http://users.content.ytmnd.com/7/0/3/703ed95eb1ce2a800783ff76c3979463.jpg

Then why does everyone up there say they're from Monta-a-a-a-na?

PaladinNation
February 21st, 2014, 12:11 PM
I respect SP, but I have to really chuckle at the mention of recruiting classes in this. Samford lost Summerlin, Fabian Truss, Chris Cephus, and Kelsey Pope, but man have you seen the recruiting class they have brought in? I haven't seen anything that tells me Samford doesn't have a major rebuilding job on offense that won't be done in time for this season. Did Samford look good in any game last year where Truss didn't play? None that I can think of.

Also Furman has all the returning starters and was arguably a top 5, if not a top 2 team in the playoffs last year, but what about their recruiting?

My order of finish...

1. Furman
2. UTC
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Wester Carolina
7. Mercer
8. VMI

VMI will go winless, Mercer will take one game from some team other than Western and VMI, Furples go 6-1 in conference. Also, Mike Houston will have El Cid playing with the top teams in the conference.

Not sure if your questioning Furman's recruiting… but I'm not getting the questionable Furman recruiting talk that seemed to have started from the SP post. One thing I feel confident of, and I'm sure other Furman fans feel the same is BF knows what he wants in a player, he does't just fill holes. These game notes from the NDSU bare this out:

Furman’s 2013 roster featured 86 players, including 10 seniors, 13 juniors, and 19 sophomores to go along with 44 freshmen (redshirt and true), who represent 51.1 percent of the squad.

The Paladins’ offensive and defensive depth chart for the North Dakota State game featured nine seniors, seven juniors, 15 sophomores, and 13 freshmen.

BF and the coaching staff don't just look for star talent, they look for football players, case in point Carl Rider, Corey Magwood, Tanner Skogen, and Jarius Hollman, not a darn one with a star.

Furman signed 10 linemen on both sides of the ball, not sexy positions but arguably the best in the trenches recruiting this year in the SoCon. Eight out Ten of these guys are two stars. I expect this group to redshirt barring injury to a starter.

I do think the question marks for Furman… tight end, backup running back/fullback and backup corner/safety will put some of the recruits in the hot seat quickly.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Wofford
3. Furman
4. Samford
5. WCU
6. The Citadel
5. VMI
8. Mercer

Until Wofford finds some defensive backs, they won't have a snowball's chance of beating Samford, UTC or Furman. In 2014, this might be as good a passing league as the SoCon has had in years. There are some very good quarterbacks in this conference, some very good receivers, and Wofford was torched last season by teams that could throw the football (274 to Sam, 305 to App, 326 to Fur)

Woffy is always a dangerous team, but they lost four straight to end the year. They lost their best players on offense and on defense. In my view, they are a clear step or two behind Furman/UTC/Samford right now.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2014, 01:42 PM
Interesting that VMI and Mercer are both picked over an improving WCU.

I think Mercer will give a good account of themselves, but I also think people are assuming they will be a lot better than they are.

You cannot take away their record. 10-2 is 10-2. They did play an awfully easy schedule against a lot of other first year teams. Their 10 wins came against teams that averaged 2.7 wins for the entire season. They played 8 home games.

I think they will give some teams a scare. I think they could give Furman a scare. I do think it is premature to have them winning a few SoCon games. Even the worst of the SoCon is going to be substantially better than any team they've seen to this point.

kdinva
February 21st, 2014, 02:33 PM
VMI will go winless, .

you're sure of that........while VMI lost both QB's, the two that will challenge to start will surprise you all.......plus we lost our two best LB's and best DT, but we have depth there. We get back two O-linemen from academic suspension and injury, we'll be fine come the Conf. games. Not predicting 5-2......yet.....

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2014, 02:54 PM
you're sure of that........while VMI lost both QB's, the two that will challenge to start will surprise you all.......plus we lost our two best LB's and best DT, but we have depth there. We get back two O-linemen from academic suspension and injury, we'll be fine come the Conf. games. Not predicting 5-2......yet.....

VMI was not good last season, but they were less bad than normal. I think they'll be tough.

citdog
February 21st, 2014, 05:19 PM

http://thesportsarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/064b.jpg

Eagle22
February 21st, 2014, 06:13 PM
Mercer will be hit-n-miss, but better than most folks will think they'll be. The game on their entire schedule that surprised me was their W vs. Jacksonville. Mercer won't be a threat to win the league this year, but they'll beat someone they shouldn't have. Lamb has brought an interesting mix of transfers in as well as local talent. Will get interesting pretty quick, IMO.

Should be Furman or UTC at the end of the year duking it out.

dungeonjoe
February 21st, 2014, 08:19 PM
Until Wofford finds some defensive backs, they won't have a snowball's chance of beating Samford, UTC or Furman. In 2014, this might be as good a passing league as the SoCon has had in years. There are some very good quarterbacks in this conference, some very good receivers, and Wofford was torched last season by teams that could throw the football (274 to Sam, 305 to App, 326 to Fur)

Woffy is always a dangerous team, but they lost four straight to end the year. They lost their best players on offense and on defense. In my view, they are a clear step or two behind Furman/UTC/Samford right now.
Obviously, you haven't kept up with what the recruiting class was for Wofford this year. But then again, I can just about expect nothing more from a furple.

BisonFan02
February 21st, 2014, 10:07 PM
Then why does everyone up there say they're from Monta-a-a-a-na?

Sheep is more of an Eastern Montana/Billings kinda thing. xlolx

citdog
February 21st, 2014, 10:25 PM
Sheep is more of an Eastern Montana/Billings kinda thing. xlolx

also boone

It's a LONG way from Billings to Missoula.

catamount man
February 22nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
1) Furman
2) UTC
3) Samford
4) The Citadel
5) Western Carolina
6) Wofford
7) VMI
8) Mercer

AshevilleApp2
February 22nd, 2014, 09:03 AM
also boone

Dude, that was only once. And were ewe watching?

PaladinFan
February 22nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
Obviously, you haven't kept up with what the recruiting class was for Wofford this year. But then again, I can just about expect nothing more from a furple.

Then they should be fine. I watched them play a good bit last year. They were overmatched in the passing game.

T-Dog
February 22nd, 2014, 04:21 PM
Furman
UTC
Samford
The Citadel
Western
Wofford
Mercer
VMI

chattanoogamocs
February 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Furman is clearly the pre-season favorite...they return the majority of a team that was very good once they got their starting QB back...and they host Samford, Wofford and Chattanooga at home this year (talk about a favorable schedule...well, until 2015 when they have to play all 3 on the road).

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Furman is clearly the pre-season favorite...they return the majority of a team that was very good once they got their starting QB back...and they host Samford, Wofford and Chattanooga at home this year (talk about a favorable schedule...well, until 2015 when they have to play all 3 on the road).

I still have UTC in the top spot. Regardless of our injury situation, UTC still beat us last year. I actually think that not having Terrell Robinson will make UTC better.

UTC, in my opinion, has tried to get too cute offensively with Robinson and Huseman. The temptation simply isn't going to be there without Robinson off the team. I think they'll be more balanced and become much tougher to defense.

I do think it was fairly apparent Furman was a much different team with a healthy Reese Hannon. The schedule I think is a good one. I'm not terribly concerned with the 2015 schedule. Since 1993, Furman has lost only once in Chattanooga (2013) and once in Birmingham (2012). :)

SU DOG
February 23rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
My pick right now would have to be Furman. However, I don't see Samford being any worse than 3rd. Pope can easily be replaced by Karel Hamilton, who made some Fr. AA selections last season - NOT a big drop-off there. The O-Line should be much better with the return from injury of Armando Bonheur(our most athletic OL). The defense must replace one LB(Shade was a very good one), but we return a bunch, and the D-Front will be more experienced and should be better. The DB unit should be one of the best in FCS, with what we return(including AA Tartt). WRs are solid. The big loss, of course, was Truss. I'll have to wait for spring practices to see how our running game will develop. IF we can run a true read-option(Summerlin rarely ran), there is a really good possibility that it could be improved.

The "top-heavy" losses argument does NOT hold water IMO. Samford can maybe replace most of those Sr. players without depending on true Fr. It is very hard to analyze this early as has been stated. I'm anxious for spring training!!!

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
My pick right now would have to be Furman. However, I don't see Samford being any worse than 3rd. Pope can easily be replaced by Karel Hamilton, who made some Fr. AA selections last season - NOT a big drop-off there. The O-Line should be much better with the return from injury of Armando Bonheur(our most athletic OL). The defense must replace one LB(Shade was a very good one), but we return a bunch, and the D-Front will be more experienced and should be better. The DB unit should be one of the best in FCS, with what we return(including AA Tartt). WRs are solid. The big loss, of course, was Truss. I'll have to wait for spring practices to see how our running game will develop. IF we can run a true read-option(Summerlin rarely ran), there is a really good possibility that it could be improved.

The "top-heavy" losses argument does NOT hold water IMO. Samford can maybe replace most of those Sr. players without depending on true Fr. It is very hard to analyze this early as has been stated. I'm anxious for spring training!!!

Samford is probably the biggest question going forward. They did lose their best player. As we've seen time and again, and most recently last year with Wofford, it just is not easy to replace those guys. With Truss, Samford essentially has to replace four players - their running back, best receiver, kick returner, and punt returner. No small task.

The question at the receiver position is not so much whether Hamilton can adequately stand in for Pope. He can. The question is more whether Hamilton's success in his freshman campaign was attributable to Pope. Hamilton had a great season, but he was also the third (possibly fourth) most pressing concern for opposing defenses.

blueballs
February 23rd, 2014, 05:19 PM

Is that a cock on the top of that trophy???????

Cocky
February 24th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Barbara Walters trophy.

citdog
February 24th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Barbara Walters trophy.

We actually rammed it up Jack Crowe's ass on 5 September 1992 at Fayetteville, Arkansas.

SpeedkingATL
February 24th, 2014, 01:42 PM
1-UTC - Huesman finally gets to the playoffs.
2-Furman-The game with UTC at Travelers Rest could decide the outcome.
3-Samford - Lost some key players at skill positions, still will be in hunt.
4 - Wofford - Mike Ayers....
5- THE Citadel - They could surprise and break into the top 3 but must wait and see.
6 - WCU - In year 3 of the new coaching team, they should improve but OOC schedule may keep them beat up.
7-Mercer - SoCon schedule is much different than last year but Bobby Lamb will knock off one of the top 5 at some point.
8 - VMI - They battle with Whee and Mercer for the bottom rung.

Bisonoline
February 24th, 2014, 04:59 PM
We actually rammed it up Jack Crowe's ass on 5 September 1992 at Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Yes you did. I was there.

CID1990
February 24th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Yes you did. I was there.

That was a great day, aside from the fact that the campus police made us put our beers away. No outdoor open booze on that campus at least back in 92.

Bisonoline
February 25th, 2014, 12:11 AM
That was a great day, aside from the fact that the campus police made us put our beers away. No outdoor open booze on that campus at least back in 92.

Much has change in AR since then. You used to have to have a membership at the bars to drink legally. But on game day they had a waiver not to enforce the law. Then many of the large chain restaurants wouldnt set up shop unless they could sell alcohol with out the BS of the membership. Dont think memberships are required anymore even for regular bars.

kdinva
February 27th, 2014, 01:03 PM
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

walliver
February 27th, 2014, 03:39 PM
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

Not particularly accurate:
Having played and coached in the Southern Conference at Wofford, Bobby Lamb returns to the conference as Mercer's second-year head coach. The Bears finished 10-2 in the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League last year.

Also, several linemen elected to graduate and not return as 5th year seniors, so we will have a fresh offensive line.

CID1990
February 27th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Not particularly accurate:

Also, several linemen elected to graduate and not return as 5th year seniors, so we will have a fresh offensive line.

Their recruiting article was also long on inaccuracy.

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Wonder how many seasons we will have to read about App State and Georgia Southern in articles about the SoCon?

I don't even know what the following sentence means.

"With traditional powers Appalachian State and Georgia Southern making their final lap around the conference, the title race was quite good even though neither team made a serious run at the crown. "

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2014, 05:19 PM

I realize there is part of the country that has an insatiable appetite for year round football, but why not wait until the summer, when rosters change over, players are on campus, and folks kind of have an idea of what the team might look like?

If you start this off in February, where do you go when folks are actually interested?

CID1990
February 27th, 2014, 05:26 PM
In the recruiting article, they listed The Citadel's best get was a dude that isn't going to The Citadel

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
also boone

And Billings is the leading edge of E. Montana with quite a long porch to get to true E. Montana.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2014, 06:38 PM
For a way too early to tell sort of prediction it looks about where I'd have it with Furman interchangeable with the top two and Wofford you just never know but they are probably right in there as well.

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2014, 08:44 PM
For a way too early to tell sort of prediction it looks about where I'd have it with Furman interchangeable with the top two and Wofford you just never know but they are probably right in there as well.

UTC is going to be tough. Samford loses a lot, but has the big x factor of the transfer QB who may take the league by storm (or may not). Wofford can't be underestimated, but they were looking overmatched against a few of the SoCon foes late in the season.

Furman lucks out and gets Samford, UTC, and Wofford all in Greenville.

cmaxwellgsu
February 28th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I realize there is part of the country that has an insatiable appetite for year round football, but why not wait until the summer, when rosters change over, players are on campus, and folks kind of have an idea of what the team might look like?

If you start this off in February, where do you go when folks are actually interested?

These kinds of articles are just bread crumbs for that appetite. Someone would have to make an actual effort to compare this to what the same writer says in August. Though it might be entertaining to see.