http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021814aaa.html

Good luck to him!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 18th, 2014, 11:30 AM
IMO, excellent choice.

CFBfan
February 18th, 2014, 11:43 AM
IMO, excellent choice.

spring ball starts in a month, they offer NO schollies, have 2 poor recruiting classes in a row (this years worse than last years).....who else were they going to give it to??? i'm pretty sure qualified candidates were hard if not impossible to find

RichH2
February 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Dont envy him the task he faces but he surely deserves a chance. I wish him the best of luck

DFW HOYA
February 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Good move for coach Sgarlata, best possible option for Georgetown given the timing, the budget, and the storm clouds ahead. Despite its brand name, Georgetown often loses good candidates when they peek behind the curtain (recruits, too...) but Sgarlata knows the situation full well. He was a running back for Scotty Glacken, a position coach for Bob Benson, and a coordinator for Kevin Kelly.

(Trivia: Sgarlata becomes the first varsity head coach who actually played at Georgetown since Jack Hagerty in 1932.)

BEAR
February 18th, 2014, 01:48 PM
What's with coaches at this level missing vowels in their names?
Sgarlata
Pflugrad

xlolx

Best of luck to him!

HoyaMetanoia
February 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Good move for coach Sgarlata, best possible option for Georgetown given the timing, the budget, and the storm clouds ahead. Despite its brand name, Georgetown often loses good candidates when they peek behind the curtain (recruits, too...) but Sgarlata knows the situation full well. He was a running back for Scotty Glacken, a position coach for Bob Benson, and a coordinator for Kevin Kelly.

(Trivia: Sgarlata becomes the first varsity head coach who actually played at Georgetown since Jack Hagerty in 1932.)

Best possible option? You can't type that without laughing.

It was the most half-assed search they could've conducted. He's simply going to be a continuation of the Kelly era. Have we even had a legitimately good defense once since he's been at Georgetown?

clenz
February 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM

I don't mean to come across like a dick on this one...but this is something I find myself wanting to ask a TON of fans of EC schools like Georgetown...

What "Brand name" do you carry"? Is it piggy backing off of basketball that you have a "name brand"? Do you realize that you "national name brand" (Even in basketball) isn't nearly what you think it is?

HoyaMetanoia
February 18th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I don't mean to come across like a dick on this one...but this is something I find myself wanting to ask a TON of fans of EC schools like Georgetown...

What "Brand name" do you carry"? Is it piggy backing off of basketball that you have a "name brand"? Do you realize that you "national name brand" (Even in basketball) isn't nearly what you think it is?

What brand name does Georgetown carry? I would've thought it would've penetrated to Middle of Nowhere, IA by now, but Georgetown is one of the most desirable schools in the country, outside of the Ivy League. 16th, if you ask the National Bureau of Economic Research. Somehow, Northern Iowa didn't make the list.

ngineer
February 18th, 2014, 08:43 PM

Do you mean the first varsity head coach at Georgetown who actually played at Georgetown? Because Pete Lembo played for Georgetown (was a captain, I think) and eventually became head coach at Lehigh in 2001.

ngineer
February 18th, 2014, 08:46 PM

I think he's referring to Georgetown's academic panache. Next the top Ivy schools, Georgetown's name carries a lot of weight nationally for any student looking to go to a powerhouse university. Pete Lembo told me years ago that Georgetown was the 'sleeping giant' of the PL because if they ever put their money into football commensurate with their academics they would be able to recruit like a Stanford, nationally.

Sader87
February 18th, 2014, 08:58 PM

Possibly the biggest "hanging curveball" since Bill Lee threw one to Tony Perez in Game 7 of the '75 Series.

Franks Tanks
February 18th, 2014, 08:59 PM

Georgetown is an aspirational school for many students across the country. One of the most desirable in fact, and that has only a little bit to do with athletics (if anything). There are hundreds of regional state schools around the country. There is one Georgetown. Get it?

Bill
February 18th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Possibly the biggest "hanging curveball" since Bill Lee threw one to Tony Perez in Game 7 of the '75 Series.

It was a slider...but I prefer the one Mark Wohlers threw to Jim Leyritz in 1996!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 18th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Don't you mean this one?

http://gifsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Jonny-Gomes-home-run-bat-flip-and-chest-pump-World-Series-Game-41.gif

citdog
February 19th, 2014, 01:18 AM
It was a slider...but I prefer the one Mark Wohlers threw to Jim Leyritz in 1996!

**** jim leyritz

http://www.crocktees.com/_images/sports/drunkbus.png

Bill
February 19th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Ha!

Citdog, you must remember, I am true Yankee scum ! :)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18851&stc=1

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I don't know about you, but I could watch Seth Maness deliver that hanging curve to Jonny Gomes all day. I had to force myself to stop watching after about 25 loops of the GIF.

DFW HOYA
February 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Back to the topic at hand:

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-next-step-up.html

Go...gate
February 19th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Well said.

RichH2
February 19th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Moving history. Poignant and frustratingly sad. I wish the man good fortune.

Bogus Megapardus
February 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM

"Georgetown football not only needs a coach, it needs an evangelist."

"There must be a vision. It is really quite simple,” wrote Benson in 1999. “Utilize the game of football to create an environment and atmosphere among our students, faculty, and community on an autumn Saturday afternoon and bring to our campus a school spirit on a fall day that is desperately needed."

First rate insight and analysis throughout, DFW. The Third Rail is superb as usual.

NB: I would nominate Frank Tavani and (until his retirement) Dick Biddle as "evangelists" for their respective programs. Faith, belief and perseverance can make a considerable difference to a PL program.

Bogus Megapardus
February 20th, 2014, 03:50 PM

Taking basketball out of the picture entirely, a kid who is recruited by Georgetown doesn't have to look at a map and his parents don't have to ask anyone, "is that a good college?"

HoyaMetanoia
February 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Taking basketball out of the picture entirely, a kid who is recruited by Georgetown doesn't have to look at a map and his parents don't have to ask anyone, "is that a good college?"

Well the same goes for Northern Iowa. It's clearly in Northern Iowa. And no, not a good college.

Bogus Megapardus
February 20th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Well the same goes for Northern Iowa. It's clearly in Northern Iowa. And no, not a good college.

Well, you can get a free compass app for your smartphone these days - with all the ordinals, too. So that's something.

Go...gate
February 20th, 2014, 11:03 PM
"Georgetown football not only needs a coach, it needs an evangelist."

"There must be a vision. It is really quite simple,” wrote Benson in 1999. “Utilize the game of football to create an environment and atmosphere among our students, faculty, and community on an autumn Saturday afternoon and bring to our campus a school spirit on a fall day that is desperately needed."

First rate insight and analysis throughout, DFW. The Third Rail is superb as usual.

NB: I would nominate Frank Tavani and (until his retirement) Dick Biddle as "evangelists" for their respective programs. Faith, belief and perseverance can make a considerable difference to a PL program.

How right you are. Both coaches rescued moribund programs. Never can figure out why Tavani gets so much criticism after what he has accomplished.

Sader87
February 21st, 2014, 11:16 AM
We've stumbled a bit the past couple of seasons but Gilmore (imo) also revived a very "down on its luck" program which spent much of the 1990s and early 2000s near the bottom of all of 1-AA.

CFBfan
February 21st, 2014, 11:31 AM
We've stumbled a bit the past couple of seasons but Gilmore (imo) also revived a very "down on its luck" program which spent much of the 1990s and early 2000s near the bottom of all of 1-AA.

has anyone (othe than Kelly) coached for 10 years in the PL and won only 1 league title?

Sader87
February 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
has anyone (othe than Kelly) coached for 10 years in the PL and won only 1 league title?

lol....I see what you did there.

Believe me, the last couple years have been disappointing and the too many 2nd places over the last 10 years were as well....but Gilmore really put HC back on solid footing (whatever that was in the non-schollie PL) after really a decade-plus of mostly very bad football at HC (and much of that shouldn't be put completely on Vaas and Allen as HC was completely a "ship out of water" in non-scholarship football).

Franks Tanks
February 21st, 2014, 11:55 AM

Dan Allen was 0 for 8. Fordham changed coaches too often in their "dark years" to allow anyone to rack up such a streak.

ngineer
February 22nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
Gilmore has 'righted' the ship at HC to where the Crusaders are competitive on an annual basis. And in the PL, that is basically what each administration is looking for. They are not "demanding" X number of championships. They are not money-makers. They want good, competitive and cleanly run programs that mesh with the academic mission of the institution. In the PL, if you are 'competitive' you can snatch a championship almost any year because of the overall parity.

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2014, 10:36 PM
Gilmore has 'righted' the ship at HC to where the Crusaders are competitive on an annual basis. And in the PL, that is basically what each administration is looking for. They are not "demanding" X number of championships. They are not money-makers. They want good, competitive and cleanly run programs that mesh with the academic mission of the institution. In the PL, if you are 'competitive' you can snatch a championship almost any year because of the overall parity.

That may have been true in the past for HC (of course, Bucknell hasn't been a consistent contender for nearly 20 years and Georgetown never) but scholarships have a way of stratifying conferences, especially without divisions. In the SEC, for instance, you had Alabama, LSU, and Florida at one level, Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia a few steps behind, while Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State were out of the race before the season started.

In a way, that's what schools like Colgate and Fordham are seeking to do--basically outspend the rest of the PL and in the process, quickly separate themselves from Lehigh, Lafayette, and HC. Bucknell's already out of the discussion. And if there's any scenario where Georgetown can regularly compete for the PL title as it currently stands, I'd like to see it.

Bogus Megapardus
February 23rd, 2014, 12:58 AM
That may have been true in the past for HC (of course, Bucknell hasn't been a consistent contender for nearly 20 years and Georgetown never) but scholarships have a way of stratifying conferences, especially without divisions. In the SEC, for instance, you had Alabama, LSU, and Florida at one level, Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia a few steps behind, while Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State were out of the race before the season started.

In a way, that's what schools like Colgate and Fordham are seeking to do--basically outspend the rest of the PL and in the process, quickly separate themselves from Lehigh, Lafayette, and HC. Bucknell's already out of the discussion. And if there's any scenario where Georgetown can regularly compete for the PL title as it currently stands, I'd like to see it.

Before anyone else froths into a tither about drawing comparisons between the Patriot League and the SEC, let's just say that the priorities are different. The PL subordinates football to academics - the presidents know it, the fans know it, the coaches know it and the players who choose to come to the PL know it. I don't really see any intra-league scholarship stratification because the PL is "pre-stratified." It's sort of like what would result if Vanderbilt cut loose and stared a new conference with Duke, Stanford, Rice, Northwestern and Notre Dame.

The Patriot League does the old-timey football thing pretty well, I think. There's a consistency to it. None of the schools has the Vanderbilt/Northwestern "excuse" that academic requirements prevent a particular team from competing for the conference title because all the PL schools have the same academic requirements (despite what some Georgetown fans might believe). Patriot League player profiles always connect the student with the college and the classroom and the schools capitalize on the (non-NFL) success that PL athletes experience after graduation. It's not at all uncommon to find that your doctor or lawyer or accountant played football at a PL school. Ever notice how the "stats" in a PL player profile stress a player's grades, academic major and the number of languages they speak, rather than their 40 time? It's all part of linking athletics to the overall gestalt of each school's academic mission. The SEC this is not.

With the approximate leveling of that aspect of the playing field, the PL schools compete with one another in providing "showcase" facilities appropriate to the size of the school, attractive majors for post-graduation success, close academic guidance from top-level faculty and an atmosphere that assures that athletes are integrated into the student population in order to provide a holistic undergraduate experience. Tradition and alumni support mean a great deal at PL schools and that is why they're all not at the DIII level like so many other places of comparable size and academic rigor. PL schools separated themselves from that pack long ago and they each possess the institutional inertia to keep it that way.

Will the scholarships themselves stratify Georgetown? I suppose so, in the long run. But I'm fairly confident that Georgetown will figure out what to do well before its "too late."

CFBfan
February 23rd, 2014, 06:28 AM
well said Bogie!

citdog
February 23rd, 2014, 02:56 PM
Before anyone else froths into a tither about drawing comparisons between the Patriot League and the SEC, let's just say that the priorities are different. The PL subordinates football to academics - the presidents know it, the fans know it, the coaches know it and the players who choose to come to the PL know it. I don't really see any intra-league scholarship stratification because the PL is "pre-stratified." It's sort of like what would result if Vanderbilt cut loose and stared a new conference with Duke, Stanford, Rice, Northwestern and Notre Dame.

The Patriot League does the old-timey football thing pretty well, I think. There's a consistency to it. None of the schools has the Vanderbilt/Northwestern "excuse" that academic requirements prevent a particular team from competing for the conference title because all the PL schools have the same academic requirements (despite what some Georgetown fans might believe). Patriot League player profiles always connect the student with the college and the classroom and the schools capitalize on the (non-NFL) success that PL athletes experience after graduation. It's not at all uncommon to find that your doctor or lawyer or accountant played football at a PL school. Ever notice how the "stats" in a PL player profile stress a player's grades, academic major and the number of languages they speak, rather than their 40 time? It's all part of linking athletics to the overall gestalt of each school's academic mission. The SEC this is not.

With the approximate leveling of that aspect of the playing field, the PL schools compete with one another in providing "showcase" facilities appropriate to the size of the school, attractive majors for post-graduation success, close academic guidance from top-level faculty and an atmosphere that assures that athletes are integrated into the student population in order to provide a holistic undergraduate experience. Tradition and alumni support mean a great deal at PL schools and that is why they're all not at the DIII level like so many other places of comparable size and academic rigor. PL schools separated themselves from that pack long ago and they each possess the institutional inertia to keep it that way.

Will the scholarships themselves stratify Georgetown? I suppose so, in the long run. But I'm fairly confident that Georgetown will figure out what to do well before its "too late."

Interesting tale of Southern Conference Non Scholly Era

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140221/PC20/140229831/1032/their-losing-season

ngineer
February 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140221/PC20/140229831/1032/their-losing-season

Ah, the 'olden days' when sports were played purely for fun and relief from the academics.

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2014, 11:21 PM

Great article. Thanks for posting!

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2014, 11:22 PM
Ah, the 'olden days' when sports were played purely for fun and relief from the academics.

Strictly an extracurricular activity and secondary to classwork, as it should be.

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2014, 11:23 PM

Any way some of your alumni can endow some extra need-based funding or some scholarships?

HoyaMetanoia
February 24th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Any way some of your alumni can endow some extra need-based funding or some scholarships?

No. Georgetown's endowment is incredibly small relative to its academic peers.

citdog
February 24th, 2014, 11:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R-02fNL_Us

DFW HOYA
February 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Sure, notwithstanding those that raised over $11 million for the MSF and didn't see any progress.

But it raises a question I've posed before? What is the critical number of scholarships needed not just to field a team in the PL, but compete for a championship? An endowed scholarship is now at $1.2 million.

So how many is it, three, six, nine? Probably not. Twenty? Probably not that, either.

The honest answer is, unfortunately, 60.

Bill
February 25th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Of course, if you consider your academic peers to be Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford :)

HoyaMetanoia
February 25th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Sure, notwithstanding those that raised over $11 million for the MSF and didn't see any progress.

But it raises a question I've posed before? What is the critical number of scholarships needed not just to field a team in the PL, but compete for a championship? An endowed scholarship is now at $1.2 million.

So how many is it, three, six, nine? Probably not. Twenty? Probably not that, either.

A response by DFW including "MSF", who could've guessed it?

If he donated $1 every time he used that acronym, the thing would be built already, and it would look like Cowboys Stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 26th, 2014, 11:15 AM

For Georgetown, that number has to be close to 60. As history has shown, PL teams do not need scholarships to compete on a national level. However, given Georgetown's poor facilities and track record of losing, they need all the help they can get.

DFW HOYA
February 26th, 2014, 12:25 PM
However, given Georgetown's poor facilities and track record of losing, they need all the help they can get.

Strictly for information, the "track record of losing" came about after joining the PL. From 1964 through 2000, Georgetown's overall record was 151-122-2 (.552). Granted, not the same level of competition, but a better record nonetheless.

CFBfan
February 26th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Strictly for information, the "track record of losing" came about after joining the PL. From 1964 through 2000, Georgetown's overall record was 151-122-2 (.552). Granted, not the same level of competition, but a better record nonetheless.

and PRE patriot league competiton is what they need to go back to