PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Proposes 10 Second Delay Before Snaps

AshevilleApp2
February 15th, 2014, 06:49 AM
In the name of player safety.

Article from USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/02/13/ncaa-football-playing-rules-pace-of-play-delay-of-game/5439509/

Thoughts?

Laker
February 15th, 2014, 07:13 AM
I'm against it. Why penalize success? I think that most rule changes have helped offense more than defense, but this isn't the way to even things out. I read that Saban is the biggest supporter of this rule.

Are they doing this because they don't know how to penalize fake injuries?

FormerPokeCenter
February 15th, 2014, 07:19 AM
There's a certain segment of people who won't be happy until all contact is out of football. What the hell, the NCAA might as well sanction flag football...

LOL, but t is ENTIRELY fitting for Saban to support this rule. Auburn, by contrast, would hate it! ;)

SU DOG
February 15th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Everyone miss the newsflash where President Obama declared Nick Saban the Czar for college football?

ngineer
February 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM
More plays=more injuries? So does more practice. I think this is starting to get out of hand. Pendulum swings again.

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2014, 11:59 AM
What's really at play here? Player safety? No.

Concern with final scores that look like basketball games? Some.

Competitive imbalance between offense and defense? Yes.

Bisonoline
February 15th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Player safety my azzzzz. This has more to do with with the no huddle offense and teams who want to use different players depending the opposing teams tendencies on down, distance, hash mark etc.

Seawolf97
February 15th, 2014, 03:01 PM
What's really at play here? Player safety? No.

Concern with final scores that look like basketball games? Some.

Competitive imbalance between offense and defense? Yes.

Exactly !

Darlinikki150
February 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Bull**** rule. Keith Olberman did a spot on this on his show, its 2 coaches from 2 top teams in the SEC pushing this rule. Its ridic and will ruin the flow of the game for players and fans.

clenz
February 15th, 2014, 03:56 PM
How many teams snap the ball within 10 seconds with any kind of regularity

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
February 15th, 2014, 04:35 PM
How many teams snap the ball within 10 seconds with any kind of regularity

I dont know. But the real question is do we really need another freaking rule that does nothing for the game.

clenz
February 15th, 2014, 05:39 PM
To snap a ball in less than 10 seconds in a non last minute drill is very hard to do.

The play clock starts as soon add the previous play ends, 99 percent of the game the officials take 5 seconds to spot the ball, plus a couple seconds to undo the pile...

It's a dumb rule for the simple fact it isn't going to stop/change anything not for any other reason

superman7515
February 15th, 2014, 07:36 PM
It's extremely hard to snap within 10 seconds anyway, so that doesn't much matter. My annoyances are that 1) there really doesn't need to be a rule for 10 seconds because it almost never happens, and 2) if the penalty is snapped within the first 10 seconds, the offense will be penalized for DELAY OF GAME!! GTFO with that garbage. If you hurry up, you will be penalized for delay of game. Obviously this genius rule is the brainchild of someone from below the Mason-Dixon. xblehx

clenz
February 15th, 2014, 08:34 PM
It's extremely hard to snap within 10 seconds anyway, so that doesn't much matter. My annoyances are that 1) there really doesn't need to be a rule for 10 seconds because it almost never happens, and 2) if the penalty is snapped within the first 10 seconds, the offense will be penalized for DELAY OF GAME!! GTFO with that garbage. If you hurry up, you will be penalized for delay of game. Obviously this genius rule is the brainchild of someone from below the Mason-Dixon. xblehx

Sounds like it is Bielema...

Beachdude
February 15th, 2014, 08:59 PM
........ Obviously this genius rule is the brainchild of someone from below the Mason-Dixon. xblehx

Yeah, another one of those damned yankee transplants down here, no doubt. xnodx

Ivytalk
February 15th, 2014, 09:51 PM
There's a certain segment of people who won't be happy until all contact is out of football. What the hell, the NCAA might as well sanction flag football...

LOL, but t is ENTIRELY fitting for Saban to support this rule. Auburn, by contrast, would hate it! ;)

Nailed it.xnodx

BEAR
February 15th, 2014, 09:58 PM
UCAs new coach averaged like 69 points a game last year at his college and one of the new coaches posted "what do you do after you snap it? Snap it again and snap it again and again.".. I have a feeling our offense was about to get FAST and this rule will kill that idea.

WestCoastAggie
February 16th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I would be in favor of giving teams more timeouts than issuing a delay of game penalty for snapping the ball under 10 seconds.

JayJ79
February 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM
"There is getting to be too much action in these games. We need more standing around".
Ick.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
What bugs me about this rule is not that it will affect the flow of play, but that it takes an important tool out of the toolbox in certain situations, i.e. the quick snap on a 3rd-and-1 after maybe eight seconds to line up on the LOS.

clenz
February 16th, 2014, 04:52 PM
If something is to be done in the name of player safety in a no huddle game allow the defense to sub after any play, not just when the offense does. If they don't get off the field and lined up in time that's their issue and we'll be penalized for it

BEAR
February 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM
So if a team is driving and gets a first down and needs to "SPIKE" the ball with 5 seconds left, then they are screwed? So much for that game winning field goal attempt. Kinda ruins any comeback huh?

clenz
February 17th, 2014, 08:29 AM
So if a team is driving and gets a first down and needs to "SPIKE" the ball with 5 seconds left, then they are screwed? So much for that game winning field goal attempt. Kinda ruins any comeback huh?

I'd bet the rule wouldn't be on effect with less than 2 or 3 minutes left...much like the clock not stopping anymore after going ob

UAalum72
February 17th, 2014, 08:29 AM
So if a team is driving and gets a first down and needs to "SPIKE" the ball with 5 seconds left, then they are screwed? So much for that game winning field goal attempt. Kinda ruins any comeback huh?no.
From the article "The rule would not apply in the final two minutes of each half, which led to snarking on Twitter about how the hurry-up was fine when, say, the coaches who didn't like the faster pace actually felt they needed to employ it."

Gordon Shumway
February 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
To snap a ball in less than 10 seconds in a non last minute drill is very hard to do.

The play clock starts as soon add the previous play ends, 99 percent of the game the officials take 5 seconds to spot the ball, plus a couple seconds to undo the pile...

It's a dumb rule for the simple fact it isn't going to stop/change anything not for any other reason

I bet they are talking about a 10 second wait after the ball is ready for play. As you stated, it doesn't make much sense otherwise.

dewey
February 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM
no.
From the article "The rule would not apply in the final two minutes of each half, which led to snarking on Twitter about how the hurry-up was fine when, say, the coaches who didn't like the faster pace actually felt they needed to employ it."

Nailed it!

What a dumb rule. I understand that the defense needs to be able to substitute if the offense is but a 10 second rule is BS. If they are concerned about players getting worn down maybe the defense should make a stop on the first 3 downs and then get off of the field. I can see why Saban is pushing it as he runs a power run game, west coast offense that wants to limit the amount of time the other team has the ball and this rule would help him and decrease the odds of "Spread type" teams from competing with his team.

Dumb rule.

Dewey

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2014, 06:45 PM
If they in fact need to substitute players due to fatigue I suggest they get in better shape.

NHwildEcat
February 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM
If player safety is the issue here, why not shorten up the quarters? If there are too many plays, then don't play a 60 minute games. That would cut down on the number of plays and the supposed increase in injuries that is apparently crippling college football.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 18th, 2014, 05:29 PM
D'oh NCAA!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/ncaa_football_rules_chair_troy.html#incart_flyout_ sports

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, chairman of the NCAA Football Rules Committee, has expressed concern there's not evidence to support a proposal allowing defenses 10 seconds to substitute before offenses snap the ball.

In two national interviews this week, Calhoun raised doubts about the rule as a safety precaution. The proposal caused an uproar within the coaching community, especially by up-tempo coaches such as Gus Malzahn, who wants to table the rule until next year. (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/auburns_gus_malzahn_wants_ncaa.html)
Calhoun previously said the committee "felt like it was time to act in the interests of protecting our student-athletes." But on the Tim Brando show this week on SiriusXM, Calhoun said, "If there is no medical data that can support it, then there's no way. There should not be a rule. Now, if you go and there's truly ... a resounding concern by people who should have the right insight and right background from the medical community that, indeed, if you don't have a substitution pattern in place or be able to provide adequate rest and recovery for somebody, then I think you have an obligation to bring that up."

In hindsight, Calhoun told Brando he doesn't think the rules committee had enough of the medical community at the meeting to inform members. Many medical personnel and researchers say there could be health benefits, but there's no evidence. (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/what_does_science_say_about_hu.html)

Brando told Calhoun that he believes Alabama coach Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bret Bielema carried influence with rules committee members by speaking at the meeting in favor of defensive substitutions.

"I can certainly see why you may induce that," Calhoun said. "But it's still got to be solely, is it a medical concern? ... The strategic part cannot be a factor at all. That is the part that's going to arouse interest is the strategic part of it."

So, to recap: the NCAA hurried this rule through, somehow, thanks to some high-placed, celebrity coaches putting pressure on their presidents to do so. Whereas it is then discovered that the main medical "benefit" from the rule in place... oops, there's zero evidence that there is any medical benefit.

Could the Big 5 NCAA folks have managed this any worse? And these are the same chowderheads that want veto power over the rest of the NCAA membership?

Beachdude
February 19th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Don't you know the players from years past, when it really was a game, think the 'new game' is for sissies? Geez.....

Bisonoline
February 19th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Don't you know the players from years past, when it really was a game, think the 'new game' is for sissies? Geez.....

Pretty much!

UAalum72
March 5th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Sports Illustrated (and also Fox Sports and USA Today) report the proposal has been withdrawn
http://college-football.si.com/2014/03/05/ncaa-withdraws-10-second-rule-proposal/

Mr. C
March 6th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Good. What a dumb idea, but then what would you expect from the NCAA?

clenz
March 6th, 2014, 10:40 PM
The NCAA didn't propose this....this thread title is very misleading.

A couple of coaches from the rules committee tried to ram it through - the NCAA had no part in it.

They **** a lot of things up, but didn't do this.

paward
March 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Guess this the one second point Saban has lost this year.