PDA

View Full Version : I actually would love this concept

IBleedYellow
February 13th, 2014, 05:34 AM
We could really remove some of the smugness from the FBS with this type of a system.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/11/5394880/college-football-promotion-relegation-2013-2014

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
February 13th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Loved the concept and the article.....Threw up in my mouth when I saw the first pic...

"Louisiana" my ass....That's USL...or....UL-Lafayette if I HAVE to call them something polite...

Skjellyfetti
February 13th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Yeah, this would be absolutely ideal. But, of course, would never happen.

OhioHen
February 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Just one team being relegated or promoted isn't enough with 12-14 in place. Bump it to two up/down and I love it.

Cocky
February 13th, 2014, 12:58 PM
JSU would have lots of traveling.
Must not have checked in on UAB and Troy lately as both are not very good. Second level is generous as neither are playing to that standard

BISON Thunder
February 13th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Just one team being relegated or promoted isn't enough with 12-14 in place. Bump it to two up/down and I love it.

Agree...two would be better. Like the concept. Produce, or you are sent to the minors to get better.

Sader87
February 13th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Not so sure how well Georgia St to the Patriot League would've worked out.....xrotatehx

FormerPokeCenter
February 13th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Well, it's not like the Patriot League is filled with teams of Lambuth's caliber, so I think the Panthers woulda been fine! ;)

BisonFan02
February 13th, 2014, 10:25 PM
MVFC....Tier III.....Big Sky....Tier IV. Discuss :D

Skjellyfetti
February 13th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Need to make all participating conferences go to 85 scholarships as well, imo.

Missingnumber7
February 14th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Need to make all participating conferences go to 85 scholarships as well, imo.I think with this if you are a Tier'd conference you have to be at 85. At this though you are looking at 3 seperate tourneys to moving up or down correct? With 5 Column's it really doesn't work. Something more like South East Column, West Column, Midwest Column and North Column. Then to determine each Tiers champion you have a 4 (8 if you are moving 2 up and 2 down) team tourney which is 2 or 3 other weeks. Could still work bowl games into that scenario. Non-scholly D1 FB schools could still compete outside of the Tier'd setup as an independant D1 league or as indepenants within D1 FB. Either you play the game or you don't.

But it would sure be interesting if it ever happened. I could see D1 hoops doing this before D1 FB.

344Johnson
February 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM
We could really remove some of the smugness from the FBS with this type of a system.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/11/5394880/college-football-promotion-relegation-2013-2014

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Would be quite a bit of fun. Reward good programs and punish others... Just like the Europeans.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Not so sure how well Georgia St to the Patriot League would've worked out.....xrotatehx

Gives a new meaning to the word "Patsy Ratings..." :D

Missingnumber7
February 14th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Would be quite a bit of fun. Reward good programs and punish others... Just like the Europeans.
Think about the change in Conference play. No longer would the Alabama's of the world have the Kentucky's to beat up on. The world would change especially in a few select conferences where only half of the conference is good right now.

Twentysix
February 14th, 2014, 02:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0pR06pevU&feature=player_detailpage

The great nations of europe are coming through!

344Johnson
February 14th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Think about the change in Conference play. No longer would the Alabama's of the world have the Kentucky's to beat up on. The world would change especially in a few select conferences where only half of the conference is good right now.

If you ever watch European leagues of soccer, you see that even the best leagues have teams at the bottom who are not good....at least relative to the teams at the top.

Missingnumber7
February 15th, 2014, 08:51 PM
If you ever watch European leagues of soccer, you see that even the best leagues have teams at the bottom who are not good....at least relative to the teams at the top.
But in the SEC, Vandy and Kentucky are usually made to look like crap by the teams in the middle of the pack.

walliver
February 17th, 2014, 12:56 PM
In US Football, tier rankings are driven by money, not on-field performance. No big-time conference wants NDSU and its small stadium and TV market - it doesn't matter how good the team is. Even App State's FCS attendance leading stadium is way to small for a big-time conference.

Yes, there are historical anomalies: Duke, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt would never get an invitation to the ACC or SEC in today's environment.

Such a change would probably be burdensome on most FCS teams. With the exception of a few schools wishing to move up (Liberty, JMU, JSU, and a few others), most FCS schools play FCS for a reason. Only a handful of FCS schools draw over 15,000, and many draw fewer than most single A high schools. Few have profitable media deals. Many FCS conferences are geographically based (flights to conference games are unheard of in the SoCon). The Ivies, and many, but not all, HBCU's would want to stay together.

The winners in this proposed system would be schools like Boise State and Liberty who are being effectively prohibited from playing at the level they choose.

fc97
February 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
actually you don't have to do anything with scholarships, it all sorts itself out. look at soccer in south america and Europe, that's the same type of concept. teams that want to spend more get to move up based on success. teams that do not spend as much typically stay where they funding has hit an equilibrium.

case in point would be looking at how the English premier league membership looks. stable at the top and so low spenders trade places every other year with the top spends in in the championship division and its the same across all. in all honesty, this is the way minor league baseball should be set up.

the difference is conference realignment. in this scenario, there is nothing to prevent an elon from moving to southern to colonial because the conferences are separate entities with their own business structure that aren't part of the pyramid in reality.

but this will never fly because of the return on investment risk of a number of schools that are privileged enough to be where they are (that wouldn't be there if things reformed from scratch today. wake I am looking at you).

so who would support this
- all the fcs
- maybe some of the fbs lower tier conferences

who would be against it
- ncaa
- top conferences
- politicians
- a large number of schools that view it as a risk
- big conference schools who know it is a risk (vandy, duke, wake, all the aac)
- maybe even d-ii and d-iii who would think that they should be relegated up and down too

then only benefit is to teams most no one cares about anyway.