PDA

View Full Version : Washington-Grizzly Stadium...

RockyMtnGriz
October 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM
A great article about the stadium...
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/SPORTS/610180324/1006

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
A great article about the stadium...
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/SPORTS/610180324/1006

You guys have an AWESOME stadium. I was lucky enough to tour the facility and walk the field. If there is a better I-AA stadium I would love to see it - maybe Delaware's? Anyway, enjoy what you have - I'm envious...

GOTOREROS

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
If there is a better I-AA stadium I would love to see it - maybe Delaware's?
Nope. I love ours, but it doesn't hold a candle to Wash-Griz. Princeton's is maybe better, but they don't pack theirs so it's hard to say.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Nope. I love ours, but it doesn't hold a candle to Wash-Griz. Princeton's is maybe better, but they don't pack theirs so it's hard to say.

I traveled last year to NJ when we played Princeton and they have a very nice stadium - but as you said it lacks ambience. I can only imagine how fun WG is on a beautiful Montana fall day...

GOTOREROS

ncbears
October 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Nice article, cool stadium. However it says UNC averages just over 5,000 fans, but last season we averaged over 7,000. I doubt we'll get the average to 7,000 this season because of the season we are having though. When we start to win, the fans will come back and we've got to stop the off the field trouble too.

UNHFan99
October 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
There is bigger stadiums out there but not better. Montana's is awesome.

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2006, 06:48 PM
never been to a game there, but even seeing wash-griz empty in the summer is nice.

CopperCat
November 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
I wish everbody had a rich alumni that could finance stadium upgrades

GrizFoo
November 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
I wish everybody had a rich alumni that could finance stadium upgrades

Ahh, didn't the cats just get about 2 million for track and field, and another million and a half for general athletics?

I think everybody does have rich alumni, it is a matter of getting them to first love athletics, and second give up some $$$. The way msu fans usually talk, their alumn are the ones making real money, not UM alumni...

BTW, Wash-Griz is going to be isht nuts tomorrow with CP coming to town.

VictorG
November 3rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
We here in Griz nation are all very thankful to Dennis Washington for what he has done for Montana Football. Atheletics needs that kind of a benefactor.
I grew up near University of the Pacific (who have since dropped football). Their basketball arena was donated by A. G. Spanos (owner of the San Diego Chargers). Isn't Spanos also a key figure in new stadiums for Cal Poly and Sac State?

Signed - VictorG's wife (I wish this site would allow 2 people to register with the same email address, but it wouldn't allow it).

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
My vote is #1 MONTANA WASHINGTON-GRIZZLY is the best stadium and atmosphere in I-AA Football.

My #2 goes to my Youngstown State Stambaugh Stadium.. Totally different style with the 2 sides.. The one side is just huge with what the UNI radio people call: the best press and loges facilities in ALL I-AA....

Here is a picture of it empty, still not as nice as MONTANA!!
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6796/ysustadiummp6.jpg

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
I don't mean this as smack, but don't you guys have room for a seperate soccer field at YSU?

Definitely nice places both WaGriz and Stambaugh...

JMU needs to expand Bridgeforth!

November 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
WaGriz is great. Best dome is NDSU's Fargodome.

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
I don't mean this as smack, but don't you guys have room for a seperate soccer field at YSU?

Definitely nice places both WaGriz and Stambaugh...

JMU needs to expand Bridgeforth!

Funny thing is we have ONLY A WOMEN'S Soccer team.. the only other spot we could put them is on the practice football field and track... but that could also cause scheduling conflicts. They will stay at Stambaugh until we get new turf in 5-6 years...

GO GUINS!

grizband
November 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
The only problem here is that Denny Washington is not in an alumni of the University.

AppGuy04
November 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
The only problem here is that Denny Washington is not in an alumni of the University.

who is he? and how is he connected to the university?

Tailbone
November 3rd, 2006, 09:18 PM

Dennis Washington
#93 (Forbes 100)
Net Worth: $2.5 billion
Source: Investments, construction, mining, transportation
Self made

Hometown: Missoula, MT
Education: High School, Diploma

High school graduate and self-made industrialist made fortune in construction (Washington Group International), mining (copper in Butte, Mont.) and transportation (1,000-mile-long Montana Rail Link). Owns largest tug and barge company in Canada; investor in Seaspan Corporation, line of 23 container ships profiting from China trade.

The 71-year-old Montanan has amassed $2.5 billion by buying broken companies, mostly ones involving large mechanical objects, and making them run better. His portfolio includes a copper mine in Butte, a 1,000-mile rail line, an aircraft supply business and a heavy- equipment dealership. Together Washington's privately held companies should generate $250 million in operating profit this year on sales of $1.3 billion

DW is very generous with the University of Montana. In addition to his facilities contribution, washington donates to the general fund and has given prime riverfront property to the UM for forestry/Ag/environmental studies and and donated an island/lodge property (the whole island including the lodge) on Salmon lake (in the Seely/Swan chain of lakes).

AggiePride
November 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
There might be a new guy on the block soon. Small but nice to start. Coming in 2007.

http://static.flickr.com/85/276268202_024eed65c6.jpg?v=0

http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/development/images/Stadium.gif

grizband
November 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
An entrepreneur who was VP of the largest construction company in Montana at age 26. He has ventures in construction, mining, transport, shipping, aviation and real estate. His net worth is abou $2.8 billion, and he is the 98th richest person in America.

According to the Missoulian, guests of his 70th birthday included "Oprah Winfrey, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Schriver, Barbra Streisand and a slew of Fortune 500 executives."

DaGriz
November 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM

Sucks being the little brother sometimes. I wonder if Oregon State fans whine as much about Phil Knight as Cat fans whine about Washington.

TheBisonator
November 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
DOn't forget the king of all indoor I-AA stadiums (And IMO one of the 10 best stadiums in I-AA) - The Fargodome. :D

http://www.gobison.com//pics24/1024/IR/IRYHGVUSLITPMER.20061028000223.jpg

http://www.gobison.com//pics13/1024/GG/GGQOXUKNFHESCCX.20040913224356.jpg

FlyYtown
November 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
For sure. The Fargodome is one of the most unique places to play in all of College Ball.. It's not your average dome and has a nice twist to it....

That place is gonna be hostile if they go to the Gateway!

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Sweet dome NDSU fans! That place looks like it rocks on big game day! Totally cool!

grizband
November 4th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Sucks being the little brother sometimes. I wonder if Oregon State fans whine as much about Phil Knight as Cat fans whine about Washington.
I doubt it, since Resers just donated money for a nice stadium expansion for the Beavs.

GOTOREROS
November 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I doubt it, since Resers just donated money for a nice stadium expansion for the Beavs.

OSU's stadium is pretty sweet now. Their upgrades are unbelievable - VIP suites are UNREAL. I don't think they will complain now....

parr90
November 4th, 2006, 09:47 AM
You guys have an AWESOME stadium. I was lucky enough to tour the facility and walk the field. If there is a better I-AA stadium I would love to see it - maybe Delaware's? Anyway, enjoy what you have - I'm envious...

GOTOREROS

The griz stadium looks like a built up high school stadium. Georgia Southerns is better.

GGASU
November 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
The griz stadium looks like a built up high school stadium. Georgia Southerns is better.

Nomination for Homer of the Year.

Grizzaholic
November 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM
seconded

mlbowl
November 4th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Sure thing:thumbsup: xidiotx

GOTOREROS
November 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Having stood at midfield at Wash-Griz I can tell you it is not anywhere near a HS stadium. It is a GREAT stadium, with a great feel. I have not been in the stadium for a game, but even just walking onto the field you sense what an amazing place it must be to play football.

I have not been to GSU, but from my experience it would be tough to beat Wash-Griz.....just my two cents.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Having stood at midfield at Wash-Griz I can tell you it is not anywhere near a HS stadium. It is a GREAT stadium, with a great feel. I have not been in the stadium for a game, but even just walking onto the field you sense what an amazing place it must be to play football.

I have not been to GSU, but from my experience it would be tough to be Wash-Griz.....just my two cents.

I have been there when it was empty as well. Very impressive, can't imagine it on gameday.

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

CatFan22
November 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I wonder how many threads there are about wa-griz every season.

Tod
November 5th, 2006, 01:07 AM

About a dozen.

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2006, 01:18 AM

Yeah. How come nobody ever writes about that beautiful stadium in Bozo?

Franks Tanks
November 5th, 2006, 09:06 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Saying that it looks like a High School stadium is obvoioulsy exaggerated, but I understand what the poster is saying. The stadium was expanded in a patchwork way and has strange angles, and their is no way you can say it is the best or nicest stadium based purely on the structure of the stadium. Princeton, Harvard, Yale and the venerable Franklin Filed at Penn are much larger, have a better design, and in the case of Harvard and Penn and Yale have great history.(Patriots, Giants, and Eagles have used the sites as their primary stadium for a time) Yes I would have to say Montana followed by Delaware as a close second have the best game day atmosphere and experience. No way do you have the best physical stadium from a bricks and mortar perspective

DaGriz
November 5th, 2006, 09:24 AM
and their is no way you can say it is the best or nicest stadium based purely on the structure of the stadium.

Would you say Yellowstone or Glacier National Park is more beautiful? What about the Grand Canyon vs. Niagra Falls? All in the eyes of the beholder. So yes we can say that, as well as everybody else can about their stadium, and be correct.

Ronbo
November 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Take a gander eagle boy. You only wish your stadium even held a candle to this.

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10238/normal_GrizRollingStonesMSOc.jpg

GrizRchattybound
November 5th, 2006, 10:19 AM
ya...nice case of Griz envy you must have caught somewhere along the line- it's been know to alter brain waves and blur vision and impair judgement.

:nonono2:

Goober

CatFan22
November 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
About a dozen.

That poor, poor child in your signature. ;)

Franks Tanks
November 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Would you say Yellowstone or Glacier National Park is more beautiful? What about the Grand Canyon vs. Niagra Falls? All in the eyes of the beholder. So yes we can say that, as well as everybody else can about their stadium, and be correct.

Your right in a sense, only comparing Harvard vs Yale is like your analogy of comparing Yellowstone to Glacier. Washington-griz isnt in the same discussion of those stadiums. Franklin Field hosted the 1960 NFL championship for example between the Eagles and Lombardi's PAckers. I WILL not of course argue with the game day atmosphere at Montana, it is simply the best, but sorry your stadium itself is certainly not.

MplsBison
November 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
My vote is #1 MONTANA WASHINGTON-GRIZZLY is the best stadium and atmosphere in I-AA Football.

My #2 goes to my Youngstown State Stambaugh Stadium.. Totally different style with the 2 sides.. The one side is just huge with what the UNI radio people call: the best press and loges facilities in ALL I-AA....

Here is a picture of it empty, still not as nice as MONTANA!!
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6796/ysustadiummp6.jpg

I'll never vote for a stadium that has a home side to visitor side seating capacity ratio of greater than 10:1.

Expand the visitor side for crissakes already.

placidlakegriz
November 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I wonder how many threads there are about cat litterbox every season.

Oh, thats right, NONE

CatFan22
November 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I wonder how many threads there are about cat litterbox every season.

Oh, thats right, NONE

You griz fans never cease to amaze me.

Grizalltheway
November 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM

According to MSU fans, their alumni are the ones who make all the money.. coud it be that all bobcats are just selfish a**holes by nature?xazzx

CatFan22
November 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
According to MSU fans, their alumni are the ones who make all the money.. coud it be that all bobcats are just selfish a**holes by nature?xazzx

Posts like this that make MSU fans hate all of you. Very classy post.

putter
November 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I would like to think that with the increased exposure for I-AA and the 12th game by I-A's that most stadiums will see some renovations. :thumbsup:

CatFan22
November 5th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I would like to think that with the increased exposure for I-AA and the 12th game by I-A's that most stadiums will see some renovations. :thumbsup:

Coming soon here...

cu@wgs
November 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
as well as wa/griz. I know that this past week equipment was used to scout height and sight lines for a new addition. It seems "they" already have it planned out...

GrizRchattybound
November 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Coming soon here...

Like what do tell?

a new coat of paint for the goal post and an additional 125 folding chairs?

;) xlolx :nod: :D

CatFan22
November 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Like what do tell?

Ha...ha...ha. A new budget was approved for the university and a new practice facility is in the works and some stadium improvement/addition that hasn't been revealed yet.

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Saying that it looks like a High School stadium is obvoioulsy exaggerated, but I understand what the poster is saying. The stadium was expanded in a patchwork way and has strange angles, and their is no way you can say it is the best or nicest stadium based purely on the structure of the stadium. Princeton, Harvard, Yale and the venerable Franklin Filed at Penn are much larger, have a better design, and in the case of Harvard and Penn and Yale have great history.(Patriots, Giants, and Eagles have used the sites as their primary stadium for a time) Yes I would have to say Montana followed by Delaware as a close second have the best game day atmosphere and experience. No way do you have the best physical stadium from a bricks and mortar perspective

In YOUR opinion.

In MY opinion:

Old + History + "Venerable" <> "Great"

And throwing out Pro teams using the sites proves nothing. Hell, The Cardinals do pre-season at the NAU dome, and it's a ****hole.

CopperCat
November 6th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Like what do tell?

You're real funny. And arrogant beyond belief.

But no, MSU reportedly has an indoor practice facility in the works. Hmmm, that sounds like a bit more than a coat of paint to me.

CopperCat
November 6th, 2006, 01:06 AM

I have not been to GSU, but from my experience it would be tough to beat Wash-Griz.....just my two cents.

Agreed. And coming from an MSU fan, that means something.

GrizRchattybound
November 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM
You're real funny. And arrogant beyond belief.

But no, MSU reportedly has an indoor practice facility in the works. Hmmm, that sounds like a bit more than a coat of paint to me.

Why am I arrogant? (It's ok to admit that post was funny)

You friggin Pussycats wine and bitch and moan so much about the Griz. Build it all...the indoor faciltiy, the 23K+ stadium- hell build a 50K ++ stadium for all I care..... build another Kingdome.

You'll still base your whole season around beating the griz, and bring in 10K +/- fans.

No sweat of my arse - I really do not care.

Georgia Griz
November 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Nope. Sorry. I've been in both facilties for multiple games. At the last few GSU games that I attended, fans were leaving at half-time to go home to watch what they called their "other team" (The University of Georgia). The stadium atmosphere is pretty good up until the people start leaving, but not quite as nice as Washington-Grizzly.

MplsBison
November 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM
A new budget was approved for the university and a new practice facility is in the works and some stadium improvement/addition that hasn't been revealed yet.

Like an indoor practice facility? Or a new football center (wt. room, offices, lockers, etc.)?

Grizo406
November 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/unh/normal_12-4-2004-049.jpg

patssle
November 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM
those fans are ridiciously close to the field. theres no room at all on the sidelines.

TheBisonator
November 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM
those fans are ridiciously close to the field. theres no room at all on the sidelines.

And as a football fan, that's just the way I LIKES IT!!!

patssle
November 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM
and as a sideline dweller...I would hate it :p

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2006, 01:36 AM
and as a sideline dweller...I would hate it :p

Yeah, cause your grandstands are what, 200 feet from your sideline, what with that 25-lane track you have implanted around the field?? It's all you're used to.xlolx

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/unh/normal_12-4-2004-049.jpg

parr is right. looks like a built-up HS stadium. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah, cause your grandstands are what, 200 feet from your sideline, what with that 25-lane track you have implanted around the field?? It's all you're used to.xlolx

That's exactly why I love the dome and hate going to a lot of other stadiums. Way too far from the action.

chuges1
November 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Why am I arrogant? (It's ok to admit that post was funny)

You friggin Pussycats wine and bitch and moan so much about the Griz. Build it all...the indoor faciltiy, the 23K+ stadium- hell build a 50K ++ stadium for all I care..... build another Kingdome.

You'll still base your whole season around beating the griz, and bring in 10K +/- fans.

No sweat of my arse - I really do not care.

Wow you are a real class act bud.