PDA

View Full Version : Division I Football Scheduling - Fact or Fiction in the SWAC?

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2014, 12:01 PM
What a mess... is playing Division I football truly what the folks in the SWAC would like to do? We all play non-Division I schools and in some cases, play a few too many FBS games (talking about Nicholls and Presbyterian in particular with three FBS games apiece - missing anyone?)... but this is ridiculous. Traveling to non-Division I schools? A bit much... a lesson even Charleston Southern with their games at North Greenville have avoided.

Texas Southern (http://tsuball.com/news/2014/2/6/FB_0206142519.aspx) visiting Division II Central State... flying across the country to play a Division II school...

I guess the good thing about Alabama A&M (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/alabama_am_schedule_includes_m.html#incart_river_d efault) is that when they are traveling to a non-Division I school, they are staying in the same state with Tuskegee!

And who can forget a release touting a 'history making' Prairie View A&M (http://www.pvpanthers.com/news/2014/2/5/FB_0205144357.aspx) schedule? Does that mean playing 10 games? Finding only one non-conference game?

MplsBison
February 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM
The SWAC should be forced down to DII, no two ways about it. That's what they are.

If a couple of their best programs want to opt up into the MEAC, fine.

FormerPokeCenter
February 7th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Listen, if you don't understand why an HBCU might travel to play another HBCU, regardless of designation, then you're more clueless than I thought...

Some of these games between HBCU's in different divisions or even in different organizations are historic in nature...and, once upon a time, those types of games were all they could get...so...expecting them to turn their back on their smaller brethren is kinda stupid...

Even for you...

IBleedYellow
February 7th, 2014, 01:59 PM
They treat HBCU's as gold, no matter what Division they are in.

How is that so hard to comprehend? There is a reason the power conferences don't really do anything with the SWAC.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2014, 02:16 PM
My question to you guys would be... does the MEAC play road games at CIAA or SIAC schools? Perhaps I am missing something...??? Is the SWAC held to a different standard than the MEAC? The MEAC has upped the game significantly in recent years, kudos to them.

When it is a "Classic" or to a lesser extent, the rivalry that the SWAC's Alabama schools have with Tuskegee, I get that.

It is the scheduling games at non-Division I venues and the "underscheduling" (not utilizing the full amount of games - essentially as is the case of PVAMU - "not showing an interest in playing OOC games" - which SWACites will admit has happened a few times in recent years).

PVAMU - pick up the phone and call some Div I schools!

FormerPokeCenter
February 7th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Take a look at the schools in the MEAC...take a look at the schools in the SWAC...pay close attention to geography and history....after youv'e done that, would you mind explaining WHY you've got such a hard-on for the SWAC?

PV's played plenty of PWC's in OOC contests....why the hate?

Herder
February 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM
The SWAC brand is pretty meaningless in the world of college football. At this point, they don't have the ability to compete with the top of FCS football, other than attendance for their classics. Until they move into the national picture (which could be never), I see further regression. The ironic thing is, they could say the word and have a playoff spot immediately, which would serve to lift them up and help recruiting. The SWAC is further from the CAA/MVFC, than the Sunbelt is fron the SEC, but they could say the word and be granted playoff entrance right away. Wow, why wouldn't you do that?

At some point, you would think that NFL SWAC alums would start putting pressure on for change to the current SWAC model, stressing the need to do what the MEAC has done.

Sammy94
February 7th, 2014, 02:43 PM
PVAMU - pick up the phone and call some Div I schools!

I bet they don't get anyone to answer in Nacogdoches.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
FWIW, South Carolina State played a "classic" game against a local HBCU school (Benedict) in Columbia, SC. That could be interpreted as "on the road at a D-II".

There's a longform offseason article here somewhere that I'll get to at some point - not so much the SWAC specifically, but the different philosophies of scheduling - why three FBS teams, why travel to a sub-D-I school, etc.

FargoBison
February 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I did see today that MVSU is going to play at Illinois State this year. So I guess one school is stepping it up

nwFL Griz
February 7th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I really don't have an opinion, one way or another, on who teams choose to schedule. However, not scheduling at least 11 games speaks to me of either, an athletic department that sucks at their jobs or an institution that is not serious about maintaining an FCS team.

MplsBison
February 7th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I did see today that MVSU is going to play at Illinois State this year. So I guess one school is stepping it up

MVSU travelled to Fargo in 2006 with NDSU returning the trip to Itta Bena in 2007. That must've been about as huge of a culture shock for the team and any NDSU alumni that made the trip as one might imagine possible in this country.

The demographics of that area of MS hover around >= 70% African-American with median household incomes around $20k - 25k, roughly equidistance from Memphis and Jackson, MS.

I have little doubt that IL St, like NDSU before it, is paying 100% of the travel expenses for MVSU (including chartered airliner, hotel, food and buses - probably about $100k).

NDSUKurt
February 7th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Where did you see that? I would love a link so I can add it to the schedule matrix.

FargoBison
February 7th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Where did you see that? I would love a link so I can add it to the schedule matrix.

Illinois State football will open its season at home on 9-6 vs. Mississippi Valley State. 7 of 11 games at home. All 11 foes FCS programs.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/431851742901202944

bkrownd
February 7th, 2014, 05:42 PM
If these teams are scheduling games because they feel the schools have compatible cultures, instead of by NCAA divisional alignments, then I heartily applaud them. Who cares what division anyone is in, as long as the game is fun for everyone!?!

bonarae
February 7th, 2014, 05:52 PM
The SWAC brand is pretty meaningless in the world of college football. At this point, they don't have the ability to compete with the top of FCS football, other than attendance for their classics. Until they move into the national picture (which could be never), I see further regression. The ironic thing is, they could say the word and have a playoff spot immediately, which would serve to lift them up and help recruiting. The SWAC is further from the CAA/MVFC, than the Sunbelt is fron the SEC, but they could say the word and be granted playoff entrance right away. Wow, why wouldn't you do that?

At some point, you would think that NFL SWAC alums would start putting pressure on for change to the current SWAC model, stressing the need to do what the MEAC has done.

Seems about it. xsmhx What about the Ivy brand as well (but it's for another thread too.) xchinscratchx

I really don't have an opinion, one way or another, on who teams choose to schedule. However, not scheduling at least 11 games speaks to me of either, an athletic department that sucks at their jobs or an institution that is not serious about maintaining an FCS team.

You have forgotten about the Ivies, who still choose to only schedule 10 with no bye weeks.

If these teams are scheduling games because they feel the schools have compatible cultures, instead of by NCAA divisional alignments, then I heartily applaud them. Who cares what division anyone is in, as long as the game is fun for everyone!?!

Oh, then, should Harvard-MIT be feasible also in football then as it has been done in men's basketball? xchinscratchx

centennial
February 7th, 2014, 06:22 PM
They are Division-I only in name. I do understand that they want to stand with their historic rivals but the whole thing is ridiculous. Wish both them and the ivies participated in the playoffs. If they are doing it for fun, why don't they drop football and do it as a club sport? I just don't get the point of barely trying.

bkrownd
February 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
They are Division-I only in name. I do understand that they want to stand with their historic rivals but the whole thing is ridiculous. Wish both them and the ivies participated in the playoffs. If they are doing it for fun, why don't they drop football and do it as a club sport? I just don't get the point of barely trying.

Why should they do things the way YOU want them to do it? You aren't one of their fans/alumni/players, right? If they're happy with the way they schedule, more power to 'em.

nwFL Griz
February 8th, 2014, 10:51 AM
You have forgotten about the Ivies, who still choose to only schedule 10 with no bye weeks.

I haven't forgotten about the ivies, I've chosen to ignore them. Anyhow, it is one thing when an entire conference has made a choice and followed a certain model, what I am speaking to in regards to PVAMU is quite another.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they gave their best efforts and couldn't find another game. But given the amount of teams who still need a game, I find that to be unlikely.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Listen, if you don't understand why an HBCU might travel to play another HBCU, regardless of designation, then you're more clueless than I thought...

Some of these games between HBCU's in different divisions or even in different organizations are historic in nature...and, once upon a time, those types of games were all they could get...so...expecting them to turn their back on their smaller brethren is kinda stupid...

Even for you...

Hahahahahaha! Exactly!

Texas Terror Translation: Come on AGS posters! Help me out here! I'm back on my antagonist role so back me up on this!

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Why should they do things the way YOU want them to do it? You aren't one of their fans/alumni/players, right? If they're happy with the way they schedule, more power to 'em.

Thank you.

I've said for many years on this board. If you are against what the SWAC or any individual SWAC member is doing to "degrade" FCS football then rally your friends, institution and FCS as a whole to force the NCAA to enforce some type of uniformity within FCS. The weekly, monthly and annual criticism some of you do on a message board is comical. Grow a pair and do something about it!

I guess some forget when Delaware State (MEAC) forfeited a conference game to play a profitable money game against the Univ of Michigan?

FormerPokeCenter
February 9th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Hahahahahaha! Exactly!

Texas Terror Translation: Come on AGS posters! Help me out here! I'm back on my antagonist role so back me up on this!

That's EXACTLY what he's doing....He's been conspicuously absent for a while....and THIS is how he makes his reappearance?
smh...

citdog
February 9th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Thank you.

I've said for many years on this board. If you are against what the SWAC or any individual SWAC member is doing to "degrade" FCS football then rally your friends, institution and FCS as a whole to force the NCAA to enforce some type of uniformity within FCS. The weekly, monthly and annual criticism some of you do on a message board is comical. Grow a pair and do something about it!

Perhaps you should take your OWN advice and have your brothers step up and support their programs. At least volunteer to clean the mold off the weight machines and shoulder pads of your players.

DSUrocks07
February 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I guess some forget when Delaware State (MEAC) forfeited a conference game to play a profitable money game against the Univ of Michigan?

:( :( :( :(

I'd like to forget (all the BS in the athletic department during that time, and how we were screwed by NSU's president)...but the game itself was awesome tho. Great experience. Michigan Stadium is amazing in person.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
February 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I've seen SWAC football in the Fargodome...we would be better off tuning up against our local DII teams. It would certainly be cheaper to bring them in.

dgtw
February 9th, 2014, 05:46 PM
:( :( :( :(

I'd like to forget (all the BS in the athletic department during that time, and how we were screwed by NSU's president)...but the game itself was awesome tho. Great experience. Michigan Stadium is amazing in person.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware of this story. When did it happen? Link? They actually forfeited (as Grambling did last year) for a game at Michigan? I can't believe the league stood for that.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Perhaps you should take your OWN advice and have your brothers step up and support their programs. At least volunteer to clean the mold off the weight machines and shoulder pads of your players.

I don't have any brothers and furthermore, you're confused with school affiliations.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Most FBS conferences have rules restricting travel to FCS schools in football... wish the FCS conferences would follow suit.

I'm guessing there's a few conferences that do have these rules, which is why even Charleston Southern seems to have ceased its series of home-and-home games with their old Div II rival.

The SWAC is just a different animal... to say the least. Even in sports like baseball and volleyball, they travel to non-Div I schools, some of which beat them regularly. If they played more D2 road games in football than they do now, probably would be similar situation, especially if those visits were to the Gulf South Conference schools that have a history of beating the SWACs.

3rd Coast - guess it should not matter much to me. You guys don't care how bad your product is regardless of how awful it is (ranked lower than non-scholarship Pioneer and dead last this year)... it just hurts the FCS image to some degree, though with the non-D1 mindset and sub-Div I talent level, guess most in the public don't even realize you guys play D1 football.

centennial
February 9th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I've seen SWAC football in the Fargodome...we would be better off tuning up against our local DII teams. It would certainly be cheaper to bring them in.
Agreed. Clearly, if the schools don't care about the product on the field why would the fans.

Bisonoline
February 9th, 2014, 10:27 PM

Ive actually tried to watch a few of their games on tv as well. All I can say is BAD. Poor fundamentals and very poor discipline. Just bad.

Big Dawg
February 10th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Ive actually tried to watch a few of their games on tv as well. All I can say is BAD. Poor fundamentals and very poor discipline. Just bad.

Actually the SWAC Championship was one of the better played and more entertaining FCS games on TV last season

Big Dawg
February 10th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Honestly, why is this such a big deal...we're talking about Prairie View and Texas Southern here(not exactly SWAC powers)...what they do shouldn't matter to you guys

Honestly you guys harp on the SWAC just a little too much for people who claim not to care about them

Bisonoline
February 10th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Honestly, why is this such a big deal...we're talking about Prairie View and Texas Southern here(not exactly SWAC powers)...what they do shouldn't matter to you guys

Honestly you guys harp on the SWAC just a little too much for people who claim not to care about them

Really?xthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
February 10th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Actually the SWAC Championship was one of the better played and more entertaining FCS games on TV last season

You didn't watch the Towson vs EIU or Towson vs EWU games, did you?

Those games were great FCS showcase games, IMO.

MplsBison
February 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Absolutely correct.

Big Dawg
February 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM
You didn't watch the Towson vs EIU or Towson vs EWU games, did you?

Those games were great FCS showcase games, IMO.

*SIGH*

That's why I said ONE of the better played games last season...and it ended up being a GREAT look for FCS football, surprisingly

Herder
February 11th, 2014, 01:25 AM
*SIGH*

That's why I said ONE of the better played games last season...and it ended up being a GREAT look for FCS football, surprisingly

BigDawg . . . do you prefer your "classics" vs. joining the FCS playoffs and playing for a championship? Is that the path you'd choose?

Just looking for one SWAC person to actually admit that the current SWAC path sucks. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the SWAC championship rules, help me out. I've heard lots of IVY folks moam about staying home, but you SWAC folks are drinking the classic koolaid.

813Jag
February 11th, 2014, 07:03 AM
BigDawg . . . do you prefer your "classics" vs. joining the FCS playoffs and playing for a championship? Is that the path you'd choose?

Just looking for one SWAC person to actually admit that the current SWAC path sucks. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the SWAC championship rules, help me out. I've heard lots of IVY folks moam about staying home, but you SWAC folks are drinking the classic koolaid.
Big Dawg is a FAMU fan. The Rattlers are in the MEAC.

I'm a SWAC person and I've stated many times that I don't agree with the path the SWAC takes. That horse has been beaten many times on this board.

FormerPokeCenter
February 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM
I've always thought the SWAC should go FBS...it would enable them to offer more scholarships...The SWAC's historical purpose was to provide Black athletes with opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have. Now that the culture is different and black athletes are going to all the "big time" programs, the mission's watered down by playing in a subdivision that has scholarship limitations...

If the SWAC went FBS, it would enable them to better focus on their historical mission and would put them on more even footing in the recruiting wars....Trumaine Johnson was, really, the last big time athlete that I can remember who went to the SWAC when he could have gone elsewhere and that's reaching back to the 80's...

813Jag
February 11th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I've always thought the SWAC should go FBS...it would enable them to offer more scholarships...The SWAC's historical purpose was to provide Black athletes with opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have. Now that the culture is different and black athletes are going to all the "big time" programs, the mission's watered down by playing in a subdivision that has scholarship limitations...

If the SWAC went FBS, it would enable them to better focus on their historical mission and would put them on more even footing in the recruiting wars....Trumaine Johnson was, really, the last big time athlete that I can remember who went to the SWAC when he could have gone elsewhere and that's reaching back to the 80's...
I think the main problem with the SWAC is the leadership. Until that issue is fixed, we're going to have troubles no matter where we are.

MplsBison
February 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM

They can't afford FCS, let alone FBS. The FBS has actual minimum requirements that most SWAC programs wouldn't be able to touch. I wonder if they'd meet minimum sport requirements as well.

No, they should drop down to DII. That's the level most of them play at.

Big Dawg
February 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Ummmm...first of all FAMU isn't currently nor have we ever been in the SWAC nor does our conference sit out of the playoffs

Secondly, how in the world does playing "Classic" games prevent HBCU teams from participating in the playoffs...there are only TWO Classic games that clash with the FCS Playoffs...that's the Bayou Classic and Turkey Day Classic.

I need you to do your homework before claiming that someone is "drinking the Classic kool-aid"...whatever that means

FormerPokeCenter
February 11th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Ummmm...first of all FAMU isn't currently nor have we ever been in the SWAC nor does our conference sit out of the playoffs

Secondly, how in the world does playing "Classic" games prevent HBCU teams from participating in the playoffs...there are only TWO Classic games that clash with the FCS Playoffs...that's the Bayou Classic and Turkey Day Classic.

I need you to do your homework before claiming that someone is "drinking the Classic kool-aid"...whatever that means
)
I really liked your SuperBowl commercial!!! ;

BluBengal07
February 12th, 2014, 09:18 AM
i don't support the decisions of some FCSs and in the SWAC, but why do you care so much TexasTerror? you frequent the SWAC boards more than I can count... wait, at one, you've been a member since 2007 with 2453 posts and counting.

you of all people from here know schools that make those kind of moves gets bashed from their per institutions. these are individual institutional decisions, not SWAC.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM

I'm from the SWAC so I'll speak up and be that "one SWAC person".

The current SWAC path sucks...
The current FCS path sucks...

So now what?

TSUalum05
February 12th, 2014, 08:46 PM
)
I really liked your SuperBowl commercial!!! ;

Ha ha. Spot on.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 13th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Ha ha. Spot on.

That Samuel L. Fishburne interview was classic. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
February 13th, 2014, 10:52 AM
His Allstate Commercials are great!

3rd Coast Tiger
February 13th, 2014, 12:41 PM
His role in Shawshank Redemption..... xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
February 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I really like James Earl Haysbert's voice over in Star Wars!

major095
February 14th, 2014, 12:45 PM

yes. where the swac is right now does suck. But for the record the FCS model sucks. College football is a business. The business is ultimately to make money and no one participating in the playoffs is making money. Why would Grambling or Southern give up a million dollar pay day to participate in the playoffs. I tell you what, if (insert your school name here) was getting a million dollars they would forgo the playoffs. if they were getting the 250k - 500k alabama state gets they would forgo the playoffs.

I don't see those 3 schools giving up their events. Too much money at stake. A better deal for them would be schedule the better teams in fcs during the regular season.... and beat them. is ndsu trying to come play in the south? that humidity will be a lot different than playing in the fargo dome.. lol love to see that bethune cookman ( i know they're not swac) or jackson state vs. ndsu august match up in the deep south. #melting

mcnair was recruited by everybody... as a db. alcorn was his only qb offer. the opportunity is not there for athletes as it once was but the swac and meac if they moved to fbs could be a launching pad for minority coaches. alabama hired shula over croom but if he would have gone to a fbs alabama state and been dominate many programs would pay him.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Just looking for one SWAC person to actually admit that the current SWAC path sucks. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the SWAC championship rules, help me out.

Was a response from four SWAC people who admits the current SWAC suck work for you Herder? Does that help?

centennial
February 15th, 2014, 01:52 PM
yes. where the swac is right now does suck. But for the record the FCS model sucks. College football is a business. The business is ultimately to make money and no one participating in the playoffs is making money. Why would Grambling or Southern give up a million dollar pay day to participate in the playoffs. I tell you what, if (insert your school name here) was getting a million dollars they would forgo the playoffs. if they were getting the 250k - 500k alabama state gets they would forgo the playoffs.

I don't see those 3 schools giving up their events. Too much money at stake. A better deal for them would be schedule the better teams in fcs during the regular season.... and beat them. is ndsu trying to come play in the south? that humidity will be a lot different than playing in the fargo dome.. lol love to see that bethune cookman ( i know they're not swac) or jackson state vs. ndsu august match up in the deep south. #melting

mcnair was recruited by everybody... as a db. alcorn was his only qb offer. the opportunity is not there for athletes as it once was but the swac and meac if they moved to fbs could be a launching pad for minority coaches. alabama hired shula over croom but if he would have gone to a fbs alabama state and been dominate many programs would pay him.
We have played plenty of times in the south. We out conditioned K-State on a 100 degree day. Also there are plenty of teams in the south that are good like SELA, SHSU, McNesse. The real question is why would a FCS power come to your stadium when only thing your teams can provide is an easy win? They would just pay your teams to come lose at their stadium. A home-home with anyone in your league is not going to happen and neither do you have the money to pay to get a top notch team for a home game.

Also you completely discount the fact the amount of free advertisement that comes to your school from being a good football school even in the FCS. Most CFB fans know about Sam Houston or Eastern Washington or Montana or NDSU or UNI or Youngstown.

Big Dawg
February 15th, 2014, 08:44 PM
We have played plenty of times in the south. We out conditioned K-State on a 100 degree day. Also there are plenty of teams in the south that are good like SELA, SHSU, McNesse. The real question is why would a FCS power come to your stadium when only thing your teams can provide is an easy win? They would just pay your teams to come lose at their stadium. A home-home with anyone in your league is not going to happen and neither do you have the money to pay to get a top notch team for a home game.

Also you completely discount the fact the amount of free advertisement that comes to your school from being a good football school even in the FCS. Most CFB fans know about Sam Houston or Eastern Washington or Montana or NDSU or UNI or Youngstown.

Oh no home and home? Then you can't complain about who the SWAC(or any other HBCU team) decides to schedule

FormerPokeCenter
February 16th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Oh no home and home? Then you can't complain about who the SWAC(or any other HBCU team) decides to schedule

If the SWAC haters listen closely, they'll hear the Fat Lady singing after that post....I can't quite make out the words, but I think it's something about:

"Checkmate"....or maybe she's hitting the high notes on "Game, Set and MATCH!" ;)

GSUsTALON
February 16th, 2014, 09:25 AM
major095 -yes. where the swac is right now does suck. But for the record the FCS model sucks. College football is a business. The business is ultimately to make money and no one participating in the playoffs is making money. Why would Grambling or Southern give up a million dollar pay day to participate in the playoffs. I tell you what, if (insert your school name here) was getting a million dollars they would forgo the playoffs. if they were getting the 250k - 500k alabama state gets they would forgo the playoffs.

TALON - Georgia Southern was never in the big time as fare as athletic budget or making money in the playoffs. WE scheduled our OOC FBS games during the regular season for our payday and still decided to enter the playoffs. I used to bash the SWAC for not entering the playoffs but don't anymore. After looking at the SWACs athletic budgets I can see where the playoffs would be to much of a burden for most of them.

Major095 - I don't see those 3 schools giving up their events. Too much money at stake. A better deal for them would be schedule the better teams in fcs during the regular season.... and beat them. is ndsu trying to come play in the south? that humidity will be a lot different than playing in the fargo dome.. lol love to see that bethune cookman ( i know they're not swac) or jackson state vs. ndsu august match up in the deep south. #melting

TALON - For the last three years NDSU has been at the zenith of their power. I don't think playing in the south would have any affect on their execution. At present NDSU is the closest to a FBS team playing at the FCS level. With their coaching changes that may change.

Major 095- mcnair was recruited by everybody... as a db. alcorn was his only qb offer. the opportunity is not there for athletes as it once was but the swac and meac if they moved to fbs could be a launching pad for minority coaches. alabama hired shula over croom but if he would have gone to a fbs alabama state and been dominate many programs would pay him.[/QUOTE]

TALON - Moving to the FBS takes a lot of money. I don't know if the all the MEAC teams could handle it let alone SWAC teams unless the best of the MEAC and SWAC banded together to form a new conference. It took GSU 33 years to go FBS even though we were a power in FCS at one time but the money wasn't their and our former AD was against the move. On a positive note GSU can now schedule 4 Major conference teams in their OOC to help offset the cost of playing in the FBS.

centennial
February 16th, 2014, 02:23 PM
You completely missed the point. You can only play top FCS games home-home when you are one your self. That does not include you not being able to schedule middle-bottom teams from the top conferences. Your teams could easily schedule say a team like South Dakota or Sac State or Albany. When you start beating lower ranked teams and putting a good product on the field you can move up and schedule a team like Montana or NDSU at your home.

citdog
February 16th, 2014, 02:30 PM
major095 -yes. where the swac is right now does suck. But for the record the FCS model sucks. College football is a business. The business is ultimately to make money and no one participating in the playoffs is making money. Why would Grambling or Southern give up a million dollar pay day to participate in the playoffs. I tell you what, if (insert your school name here) was getting a million dollars they would forgo the playoffs. if they were getting the 250k - 500k alabama state gets they would forgo the playoffs.

TALON - Georgia Southern was never in the big time as fare as athletic budget or making money in the playoffs. WE scheduled our OOC FBS games during the regular season for our payday and still decided to enter the playoffs. I used to bash the SWAC for not entering the playoffs but don't anymore. After looking at the SWACs athletic budgets I can see where the playoffs would be to much of a burden for most of them.

Major095 - I don't see those 3 schools giving up their events. Too much money at stake. A better deal for them would be schedule the better teams in fcs during the regular season.... and beat them. is ndsu trying to come play in the south? that humidity will be a lot different than playing in the fargo dome.. lol love to see that bethune cookman ( i know they're not swac) or jackson state vs. ndsu august match up in the deep south. #melting

TALON - For the last three years NDSU has been at the zenith of their power. I don't think playing in the south would have any affect on their execution. At present NDSU is the closest to a FBS team playing at the FCS level. With their coaching changes that may change.

Major 095- mcnair was recruited by everybody... as a db. alcorn was his only qb offer. the opportunity is not there for athletes as it once was but the swac and meac if they moved to fbs could be a launching pad for minority coaches. alabama hired shula over croom but if he would have gone to a fbs alabama state and been dominate many programs would pay him.

TALON - Moving to the FBS takes a lot of money. I don't know if the all the MEAC teams could handle it let alone SWAC teams unless the best of the MEAC and SWAC banded together to form a new conference. It took GSU 33 years to go FBS even though we were a power in FCS at one time but the money wasn't their and our former AD was against the move. On a positive note GSU can now schedule 4 Major conference teams in their OOC to help offset the cost of playing in the FBS.[/QUOTE]

gsu is georgia state right?

major095
February 16th, 2014, 06:56 PM

It's cute that you believe Kansas is the deep south. I don't take anything away from you beating K-state. I was excited that you all won, but I also know that playing an august date in alabama, florida, or mississippi is different than playing in .... Kansas.

bama state did schedule a home and home with sam houston but got more lucrative deals and bought out the contract. last season instead they played jax state and drew over 20k in a thunderstorm. this season they'll travel to tennessee state with a return date in 2015 that will draw over 25k provided the weather is good.

I was happy to see alcorn go play at jmu 2 seasons ago. it was a measuring stick game and we saw that we were miles, not inches from our destination. as alcorn becomes more competitive though, we don't need to play jmu or anyone else without a return date. alabama state aspires to become a top fcs program and move up and so they want to play the top programs but they want and need to make money as well. it made more financial sense to pay out of a contract w/ shsu and pay jax state to come down and do a home & home w/ tsu.

major095
February 23rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
it is my understanding that alabama state will open the season at sam houston state and host tennessee state.

NDSUKurt
February 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM
it is my understanding that alabama state will open the season at sam houston state and host tennessee state.

You got a link for this? If you do, I can update the schedule matrix.

Also, Sam Houston State already has their first 2 games scheduled - @ Eastern Washington (on ESPN) and @ LSU.

The first shared open date between Alabama State and Sam Houston State is week 3 - 9/13

major095
February 23rd, 2014, 05:43 PM
no link. just know someone in the athletic dept that says that's the latest. @ shsu on aug 30

Bisonoline
February 23rd, 2014, 07:24 PM

Thats some fancy scheduling. xnodx

3rd Coast Tiger
February 24th, 2014, 12:16 AM

I hope that is accurate. If so, I'm headed to Huntsville for that game as my Tigers play that Sunday.

Bisonoline
February 24th, 2014, 01:01 AM

/////////////////////////////////////////////

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I hope that is accurate. If so, I'm headed to Huntsville for that game as my Tigers play that Sunday.

SHSU has already announced the Alabama State game on their athletics' web site when they announced the Eastern Washington trip. The out of conference slate is lacking one more game at this point. Some SHSU fans are not keeping their hopes up about Alabama State since its well known the Hornets 'bailed' on the Bearkats late in the scheduling game last year, forcing the addition of Houston Baptist.

You got a link for this? If you do, I can update the schedule matrix.

Also, Sam Houston State already has their first 2 games scheduled - @ Eastern Washington (on ESPN) and @ LSU.

The first shared open date between Alabama State and Sam Houston State is week 3 - 9/13

Eastern Washington is a 'week zero' game since its before the rest of the nation starts. Schedule is posted on GoBearkats & KatFans.com. Alabama State is 8/30 and we're going to presume its the first half of a home-and-home series.

SHSU plans to play an opponent on 9/13 or 9/20 at home - if we're fortunate, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE! Fingers crossed...

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 08:11 PM
My Southern University Football Jaguars are tentatively playing Louisiana-Lafayette, Northwestern (LA.) State and Fort Valley State (homecoming) and I'm as pleased as punch with this out of conference schedule. Anyone that doesn't like it can go fly a kite. I am more often than not pleased with S.U.'s schedule and could care less with what outsiders think. College football is a business, and Southern U. will continue doing what is best for us.

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 08:34 PM
What some people can't comprehend is people are not monolithic. The SWAC has a niche market. If I can view the below 5 games, this is the order that I would choose them:

1) Southern U. vs. Jackson State
2) LSU vs. Georgia
3) Alabama State vs. Tuskegee
4) (Louisiana H.S.) John Curtis vs St. Augustine
5) North Dakota St vs. Sam Houston

As you can see, what some deem important or of interest is just not that important to others.

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I'd pay to see Southern............. honor a contract! ;)

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I'd pay to see Southern............. honor a contract! ;)

Our fans preferred to see us play FAMU and ESPN paid the tab to make this happen. In the big scheme of things, McNeese wasn't important. You people were bought and sold just like the Big Boys do every day.....Get over it. Enjoy the game when the Jaguar Nation travels to ULL to play a program that can accomodate our crowd (get your ticket early).

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I'll look for the band Highlights on YouTube ;)

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 09:43 PM
It's all about choices. If these 4 games were played, below is the order I would choose to watch:

1) Southern U. vs. Prairie View
2) Alfred Barbe vs. Southlake Carroll (h.s.)
3) Washington Marion vs. Jack Yates (h.s.)
4) McNeeese vs. Lamar

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure that I'd voluntarily watch a Southern game....unless I was flipping channels and stumbled across a Southern Halftime show....;)

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure that I'd voluntarily watch a Southern game....unless I was flipping channels and stumbled across a Southern Halftime show....;)

And that is your choice........"Different strokes for different folks."

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2014, 10:01 PM
In all fairness...There's no hard feelings where Southern's concerned. Y'all eventually paid the buy out...

I mean, AFTER you tried every other way to get out of it....but..still....at the end of the day, y'all stopped punking out and finally honored the agreement...

Late's better than never ;)

Panther88
February 25th, 2014, 10:10 PM
@centennial and other bison faithful, there is absolutely NOTHING that would tickle Panther88 more than for Prairie View A&M Univ to sport a stolid team, fly to ND, and kick the living ***** out of your squad. :D While giving you guys the game that you would feel honored to receive: a competitive game to test your team. I actually enjoyed the game vs NDSU a few years ago because I wanted other alums to bear witness as to what a REAL Division-I FCS squad looks like, sounds like, plays like, is coached like, et al. NDSU certainly held up its end of the bargain. Truth be told, they could've simply made the 55 min commute to SHSU and seen likewise.

However, w/ the current recruiting trend, I don't foresee PVAMU being competititve anytime soon. Once the new stadium is completed, I can only hope the recruiting model is revisited and that the memo is released to PVAMU "staff" that it's actually some very gifted athletes of non-color and color in the 1790+ high schools in Texas lol. I would've loved to see Andrew Luck or Drew Brees donned in purple and gold and throwing darts on opposing squads. As for the 10 games fall 2014? Actually, that's enough. We've whored ourselves out more than I care to explain while moving our "home" games from campus due to the current jr hs 'stadium.' We anticipate our new diggs and also anticipate opening up a little "HAMMER-TIME" on all teams that visit the new Panther Stadium. I agree 100% w/ the 10 game slate fall 2014. It's more than enough. We have enough $$$$ to start what we have planned. ;)

Panther88
February 25th, 2014, 10:13 PM
PS: If SFA has an open date where they'd like to travel the countryside and receive another a$$ whoopin', please, have their AD call our AD so we can schedule our foot for their hindparts, yet again. :D

Before the Southland terrorists come out, I have relatives attending SFA currently and several who played on their squads through the years. They are like panther family, but not really. :D

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM
All of the inflammatory language doesn't change the fact that McNeese tangled with a larger fan base that can buy and sell you all on any given day. No need to whine (it is what it is):

Southern vs
1) Gram 47k
2) Jsu 39K
3) Jsu 30K
4) Alcorn 27K

McNeese vs
1) UAPB 15k
2) NWST 15K
3) N. Iowa 12k
4) SELA 14K

No thanks, we don't need your help with scheduling.....

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2014, 10:50 PM
All of the inflammatory language doesn't change the fact that McNeese tangled with a larger fan base that can buy and sell you all on any given day. No need to whine (it is what it is):

Southern vs
1) Gram 47k
2) Jsu 39K
3) Jsu 30K
4) Alcorn 27K

McNeese vs
1) UAPB 15k
2) NWST 15K
3) N. Iowa 12k
4) SELA 14K

No thanks, we don't need your help with scheduling.....

Now, now...y'all finally reached into that purse...you know the one...it matches your pumps... and pulled out what you contractually owed. No hard feelings...

I don't dispute your figures....You band is ALWAYS a great draw ;)

JROCK
February 25th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Now, now...y'all finally reached into that purse...you know the one...it matches your pumps... and pulled out what you contractually owed. No hard feelings...

I don't dispute your figures....You band is ALWAYS a great draw ;)

It's worth mentioning again. What is this some Fox News malarkey meaning if you say it enough it will become true? ESPN paid you folks off so we can play against FAMU on national t.v. 33,000 was in attendance (more than double what McNeese could draw in a single game this year). Again, no thanks....we don't need your help scheduling. I'm pretty sure that our game against D-2 Fort Valley will be double your largest home crowd next year.

FormerPokeCenter
February 25th, 2014, 11:31 PM
It's worth mentioning again. What is this some Fox News malarkey meaning if you say it enough it will become true? ESPN paid you folks off so we can play against FAMU on national t.v. 33,000 was in attendance (more than double what McNeese could draw in a single game this year). Again, no thanks....we don't need your help scheduling. I'm pretty sure that our game against D-2 Fort Valley will be double your largest home crowd next year.

You can cling to that idea if it makes you feel better, but if ESPN did step in and pay your bills for you, it was, what three or four years AFTER you ducked the return game???

LOL, what other excuse you got??? ;)

Panther88
February 26th, 2014, 01:02 PM
:D

Ummmmm.... can we put the SU/McNSt series on hold for a few? The powerful bison nation has yet to address how my desire for my panthers to kick their team's a$$ has not been answered. :D

FTR: most know how I feel about the bison team. Nothing but pure unadulterated jealousy and envy from this side of the keyboard. Hopefully w/ the loss of coaching staff, they won't miss a beat. And, if they have extra players on their waterboy depth chart, please, send them to PVAMU so we can suit them up for fball play. :D They are that damned good, imho.

centennial
February 26th, 2014, 09:41 PM
@centennial and other bison faithful, there is absolutely NOTHING that would tickle Panther88 more than for Prairie View A&M Univ to sport a stolid team, fly to ND, and kick the living ***** out of your squad. :D While giving you guys the game that you would feel honored to receive: a competitive game to test your team. I actually enjoyed the game vs NDSU a few years ago because I wanted other alums to bear witness as to what a REAL Division-I FCS squad looks like, sounds like, plays like, is coached like, et al. NDSU certainly held up its end of the bargain. Truth be told, they could've simply made the 55 min commute to SHSU and seen likewise.

However, w/ the current recruiting trend, I don't foresee PVAMU being competititve anytime soon. Once the new stadium is completed, I can only hope the recruiting model is revisited and that the memo is released to PVAMU "staff" that it's actually some very gifted athletes of non-color and color in the 1790+ high schools in Texas lol. I would've loved to see Andrew Luck or Drew Brees donned in purple and gold and throwing darts on opposing squads. As for the 10 games fall 2014? Actually, that's enough. We've whored ourselves out more than I care to explain while moving our "home" games from campus due to the current jr hs 'stadium.' We anticipate our new diggs and also anticipate opening up a little "HAMMER-TIME" on all teams that visit the new Panther Stadium. I agree 100% w/ the 10 game slate fall 2014. It's more than enough. We have enough $$$$ to start what we have planned. ;)
Panther88 I like your post. There is nothing much to be added here. We know that even our walk ons would probably take most teams in the SWAC out. All the talk about us not being able to take on one of your teams on a hot humid day are bunk. I hope the best for your team and your conference. If ESPN takes the money games out I hope y'all will consider going to the playoffs.

BisonFan02
February 26th, 2014, 11:08 PM
:D

Ummmmm.... can we put the SU/McNSt series on hold for a few? The powerful bison nation has yet to address how my desire for my panthers to kick their team's a$$ has not been answered. :D

FTR: most know how I feel about the bison team. Nothing but pure unadulterated jealousy and envy from this side of the keyboard. Hopefully w/ the loss of coaching staff, they won't miss a beat. And, if they have extra players on their waterboy depth chart, please, send them to PVAMU so we can suit them up for fball play. :D They are that damned good, imho.

Haha, OK fine. I don't know where/when I felt the most sorry for PVAMU during that game. Was it when one of our "unathletic" skill position/WRs in Vraa drug a corner for over 20 yards into the endzone?....maybe when FB Bonnet literally hurdled a PVAMU defender...? I tell you what though...I haven't seen an opposing crowed get so excited to score a garbage time TD in my life...wait...maybe that was the moral victory attitude you were eluding to? Next time, bring a band with to Fargo I guess....Carry on.... :D

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Panther88 I like your post. There is nothing much to be added here. We know that even our walk ons would probably take most teams in the SWAC out. All the talk about us not being able to take on one of your teams on a hot humid day are bunk. I hope the best for your team and your conference. If ESPN takes the money games out I hope y'all will consider going to the playoffs.

cent, it'll take more than simple wishes of success to help PVAMU. PVAMU seriously needs to revisit its recruiting model. For whatever ungodly reason, the "staff" is terrified of visiting Texas high schools. Especially those that are PW in nature. I don't think they got the memo that segregation is officially and legally over. :( There are TERRIFIC student-athletes w/in a 50 min drive of PVAMU's front door but they do not even visit or recruit those 100+ high schools. If there is a definition of stupidity, they seemingly have embraced it and imho, have shown their prejudism as well. :( Shameful.

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Haha, OK fine. I don't know where/when I felt the most sorry for PVAMU during that game. Was it when one of our "unathletic" skill position/WRs in Vraa drug a corner for over 20 yards into the endzone?....maybe when FB Bonnet literally hurdled a PVAMU defender...? I tell you what though...I haven't seen an opposing crowed get so excited to score a garbage time TD in my life...wait...maybe that was the moral victory attitude you were eluding to? Next time, bring a band with to Fargo I guess....Carry on.... :D
lol :D LMAO@"unathletic" WR!!!! :D xlolx Where? What planet? He was chiseled. I saw him up close and personal like lol. He drug the 'fat' and unmercifully physically weak 130lb bench press lol CB 20+ yards into the endzone. And, I think the LBer and DE for PVAMU are still attempting to tackle the FB that hurdled them xlolx. 2+ years later, and they STILL cannot seem to tackle him lol. Errrrrrrrrrrrr... I won't comment on PV's band too much. I don't consider them "entertaining" anymore. I must say though... I'm a little miffed that your staff showed compassion and started playing the waterboys mid-way through the 3rd quarter. I was hoping for a 90+ score whereas it would get the attention, through sheer embarrassment, of so many I consider quite delusional and quite naive. :D Next time, do better! :D

I'm not a homer and I'm a realist. I don't root or support losers w/ a loser mentality (ill-prepared).

344Johnson
February 27th, 2014, 02:04 AM
I don't know if I have really posted at all in this thread....but if the SWAC can pick themselves up by the bootstraps.....and put quality teams on the field...and join the playoffs. The FCS would be immensely better for it. Ditto on the Ivy League. Some of the biggest names FCS has to offer, don't even participate in the playoffs...and that can't help recruiting at said institutions....Ivy League can probably get away with it...considering the schools in question.

Also, like Panther said, start recruiting more white boys. When you take such a large segment of the population out of the recruiting pool, you really limit the potential talent your squad has to offer.

Panther88
February 27th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I don't know if I have really posted at all in this thread....but if the SWAC can pick themselves up by the bootstraps.....and put quality teams on the field...and join the playoffs. The FCS would be immensely better for it. Ditto on the Ivy League. Some of the biggest names FCS has to offer, don't even participate in the playoffs...and that can't help recruiting at said institutions....Ivy League can probably get away with it...considering the schools in question.

Also, like Panther said, start recruiting more white boys. When you take such a large segment of the population out of the recruiting pool, you really limit the potential talent your squad has to offer.

For the AGS record, it was bison 344Johnson who called recruitment of a segment population "white boys." I never said that. :D I said student-athletes of non-color. :D We have to be decently PC in todays world but I understand what you're saying Mr Johnson. And it is indeed accurate. My LARGEST gripe w/ current "staff" is that they do NOT visit or even entertain the notion of recruiting @ PWHS (Predominantly White High Schools) and visit the 'hood' schools looking for players, not talented players *smh*. Granted, the former USCs, ut-austins, Auburns, Bamas, et al go to the 'hood' looking for talented student athletes as well but those SAME schools do NOT limit themselves from recruiting talented student-athletes, regardless of ethnicity. I've told several under my voice @ PVAMU that their model, which I was not reared in and certainly didn't matriculate in, was nothing short of being a segregationist and racist bigot. Talent has no race, creed, or color. And if that talent can help you win, why would you not recruit it or inquire about it?

Now, I expect someone to point to PVAMU's kicker and deep snapper as demonstration that "staff" isn't prejudiced lol. :( xsmhx

Lehigh'98
February 27th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Can someone explain how Lehigh factors into this thread?