PDA

View Full Version : Best under .500 teams still alive right now....

Jackluv
October 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM
1. Northeastern - their 2 wins have been off Holy Cross and Delaware. Losses to VT, JM, and NDSU....they will keep it fun in the A10 cuz it looks like they are getting on a role after a good last second win against Del. Could be 5-1 or 4-2 right now

2. Wofford - wins against SCSU and the Citadel. Close loss to ASU this past weekend and other losses to Coastal Carol., USCarolina, and Furman. all quality opponents. they played pretty impressive against ASU.

3. NAU - (im trying NOT to be biased haha) :rotateh: Wins against Dixie St. and a pretty good ISU team (isu could easily be here too). Losses against U of Utah, Arizona State, Montana St. by 7, and this past week to #2 Montana by 3. Could be 4-2 right now. Have a good part of their schedule left in the big sky where they could win out. MAYBE

4. Western Illinois - wins at Morehead St., Kentucky Wesylan, and Northern Colorado. Losses to Wisconsin, Western Kentucky, Southern Ill and Youngstown St. All very close losses except for Wisconsin of course. Could easily be 4-2 right now.

these are just my opinions...anybody have any others i missed....Big Sky has a lot of them in Sac St., ISU too

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Woffy easily

rmutv
October 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
This won't work for the I-AA playoffs, but one of the better teams right now in I-AA that is under .500 is Stony Brook in the Northeast Conference.

They've won three straight after starting 0-4. Two of those losses were close and two were not. The two blowouts were 48-7 at UMass and 62-7 at UNH. They also lost at Georgetown 7-0 and hosting Hofstra 17-8.

Their wins in the NEC have been against St. Francis (30-20), Monmouth (36-17), and Albany (33-21). They are the only ones to give Monmouth a loss so far this year.

th0m
October 17th, 2006, 09:14 PM
1. Northeastern - their 2 wins have been off Holy Cross and Delaware. Losses to VT, JM, and NDSU....they will keep it fun in the A10 cuz it looks like they are getting on a role after a good last second win against Del. Could be 5-1 or 4-2 right now

How do you see that N'eastern could be 5-1 or 4-2 right now?

IMO the only game they, on paper, 'could have' won that they didn't, was against Richmond, which would make them 3-3 at best. The VT, JMU, and NDSU games were all not close.

I agree that their W over Delaware signals that they are not done yet, and may well beat up on other A-10 teams. Or well, beat up....just beat I guess :)

Jacks76
October 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM
NAU would have to run the table and both Montana and Montana State would have to completely fall apart for NAU to get an autobid. They won't be selected at 7-4 as an at-large.

Paul

Jackluv
October 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
im not saying they are necessarily "still alive" for playoffs, im just saying that alot of people look at teams that are under .500 by more than two games at midseason as saying they will fall apart....none of these teams will do that.

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Texas State will lead you to believe they are still alive.:rolleyes:

ngineer
October 17th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh are all 2-4 right now. I still think the auto-bid from the PL will come from these three. Lehigh's four losses have been by a total of 13 points (one in OT by 6).

Jackluv
October 17th, 2006, 11:03 PM
i looked at Lafayette and Lehigh but all they are doin is gettin beat up on by Ivy League teams...they are good but the first 4 i mentioned are heads above them

siugrad99
October 18th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Stony Brook... come on now. I'll have what he's drinkin. Look at what you said and then go take some Advil. They have 4 losses and 2 of them have been total BLOW OUTS. Losing 2 games by a combined 110-14 does not constitute a "Good" team.

ngineer
October 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM
i looked at Lafayette and Lehigh but all they are doin is gettin beat up on by Ivy League teams...they are good but the first 4 i mentioned are heads above them

And that's where you guys west of the Alleghenies are off the mark. Harvard, especially, as well as the Princeton are just as talented as a number of teams in the Top 20, and I believe Harvard can play with anyone in the country. The knee-jerk dismissal of Ivy football is totally misplaced. Just because they don't play in the playoffs doesn't mean they don't have quality. Unfortunately, the rest of the country never gets to see them play and, therefore, the ignorance of their capability leads to the unjustified bias against them. In essence, the thrust of the thread is to evaluate "quality losses"--which I hate to think of--sort of a misnomer. But, that said, losing to these guys by just a couple points this year is nothing to be ashamed of.

redspider
October 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I agree with Northesastern you never know in the Atlantic 10 and we at Richmond saw them after then had been on that long road test and they gave us a challenge. Though I think that they will not make the playoffs they may still have some suprise wins in them.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I agree with Northesastern you never know in the Atlantic 10 and we at Richmond saw them after then had been on that long road test and they gave us a challenge. Though I think that they will not make the playoffs they may still have some suprise wins in them.

Northeastern must be a different team than the one that showed up in Harrisonburg if anyone is to consider them "alive" right now.

The 52-14 vs. JMU was hardly a game.

NU only converted 11 first downs and only entered the red zone once in that game.
They were shut out for 3 quarters and only scored on the 2nd and 3rd string defenses.

They did play tough at Delaware and Richmond, but if they are "alive" they had to have made the biggest comeback I have ever seen in a season. I would give the Northeastern coaching staff an award if they manage to produce such a turnaround.

BigApp
October 18th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Tennessee State, at 2-3, is only 1 game back in the OVC
Nichols, SFA are tied for the SLC lead with losing records.

th0m
October 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Tennessee State, at 2-3, is only 1 game back in the OVC
Nichols, SFA are tied for the SLC lead with losing records.

Are you looking at the same SLC as I am? SHSU is in first place at 2-0, 4-2 overall.

dbackjon
October 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
According to the new GPI, it is:

27T Northeastern 2-4 A-10 (N)
31 N Arizona 2-4 BSC
32 E Washington 2-5 BSC
36T Villanova 2-4 A-10 (S)
36T Sacramento St 2-4 BSC
42 Wofford 2-4 SOCON
43 W Illinois 3-4 GFC
45 William & Mary 2-4 A-10 (S)
47 Weber St 2-4 BSC
48 Idaho St 2-4 BSC
49 SF Austin 1-5 SLC
50 Hofstra 2-4 A-10 (N)

Pard4Life
October 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I am skeptical about Lafayette... word on the street is we are playing at 60 percent... but I really don't know, we haven't played consistently and have been up against really good teams... it's so hard to say... and maybe that's why we could be out of it.

BigApp
October 18th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Are you looking at the same SLC as I am? SHSU is in first place at 2-0, 4-2 overall.

Why yes I am! And, you are correct, Sam Houston is in 1st place with a 2-0 record. However,

Nichols (State) is 2-3 overall and has a 1-1 SLC record (as does Tx State and SELa). Stephen F Austin (SFA) is 1-5 but have a 1-0 SLC record.

Both with losing records. Both still alive.

Jackluv
October 19th, 2006, 12:57 AM
the GPI pretty much sums it up....alot of Big Sky teams will stil beat up their own conference even with a losing record (EWU, SAC, NAU, Weber)