PDA

View Full Version : interesting take on SoCon safeties

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I was just scanning the statistics. Much is made about Furman's woes defending the pass, but I think Safety Jeremy Blocker goes rather unhearalded. Besides being one of the hardest hitters I've seen in college football, the numbers are interesting.

All the numbers are in conference. I decided to compare them to ASU's two studs because, well, they are better than everyone else.

Interceptions:
1. Wiggins (ASU) 5
3. Blocker (Furman) 3

Passes Defended:
1. Quintez Smith (UTC) 9
2. Jeremy Blocker (Furman) 8
3. Wiggins (ASU) 7
Holmes (Furman) 7
4. Touchtone (ASU) 6

Tackles (DBs)
1. Lawson (Cit) 59
3. Wiggins (ASU) 47
5. Blocker (Fur) 40
6. Lynch (ASU) 39

While I did kind of pick through the statistics, the only category Corey Lynch finds his name on is in tackles. I just wanted to take a moment and give some due credit to Blocker who, while not gaining much praise, has shown himself to be one of the top defensive backs in the conference.

That Wiggins kid is pretty solid too. :)

cosmo here
October 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM
For you guys in the SoCon, what do you think of Dan Tavani of Wofford ?

th0m
October 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM
How can you go wrong with a guy who's last name is Blocker? :D

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM
How can you go wrong with a guy who's last name is Blocker? :D

Our safeties are Blocker and Thacker. Pretty sweet combination if you ask me.

His name doesn't fit, though. Honestly, this guy lays the wood harder than anyone I've seen in years. He was awarded "hit of the year" last season for his decleating of Richmond's Stacy Tutt.

BULLDOG8180
October 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I was just scanning the statistics. Much is made about Furman's woes defending the pass, but I think Safety Jeremy Blocker goes rather unhearalded. Besides being one of the hardest hitters I've seen in college football, the numbers are interesting.

All the numbers are in conference. I decided to compare them to ASU's two studs because, well, they are better than everyone else.

Interceptions:
1. Wiggins (ASU) 5
3. Blocker (Furman) 3

Passes Defended:
1. Quintez Smith (UTC) 9
3. Wiggins (ASU) 7
Holmes (Furman) 7
4. Touchtone (ASU) 6

Tackles (DBs)
1. Lawson (Cit) 59
3. Wiggins (ASU) 47
5. Blocker (Fur) 40
6. Lynch (ASU) 39

While I did kind of pick through the statistics, the only category Corey Lynch finds his name on is in tackles. I just wanted to take a moment and give some due credit to Blocker who, while not gaining much praise, has shown himself to be one of the top defensive backs in the conference.

Another way to look at tackles is on a per game basis. Lawson really distances himself.

...................... solo asst total /game

1. Joshua Lawson.. CIT JR 6 DB 28 31 59 9.8 0.0
2. Dan Tavani..... WOF JR 6 DB 25 18 43 7.2 0.0
3. Jeremy Wiggins. ASU SR 7 DB 17 30 47 6.7 0.0
4. Jonathan Vest.. CIT SO 6 DB 19 19 38 6.3 1.0
5. Jeremy Blocker. FUR SR 7 DB 19 21 40 5.7 0.0
6. Corey Lynch.... ASU JR 7 DB 21 18 39 5.6

Of course, I like Blocker, he is from the same high school that produced R. Gray, Armanti Edwards, and me!:D

BULLDOG8180
October 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Interceptions:
1. Wiggins (ASU) 5
3. Blocker (Furman) 3

Passes Defended:
1. Quintez Smith (UTC) 9
3. Wiggins (ASU) 7
Holmes (Furman) 7
4. Touchtone (ASU) 6

Tackles (DBs)
1. Lawson (Cit) 59
3. Wiggins (ASU) 47
5. Blocker (Fur) 40
6. Lynch (ASU) 39

Another way to look at tackles is on a per game basis. Lawson really distances himself.

.................................. ........ solo asst total /game

1. Joshua Lawson.. CIT JR 6 DB 28 31 59 9.8 0.0
2. Dan Tavani..... WOF JR 6 DB 25 18 43 7.2 0.0
3. Jeremy Wiggins. ASU SR 7 DB 17 30 47 6.7 0.0
4. Jonathan Vest.. CIT SO 6 DB 19 19 38 6.3 1.0
5. Jeremy Blocker. FUR SR 7 DB 19 21 40 5.7 0.0
6. Corey Lynch.... ASU JR 7 DB 21 18 39 5.6

Of course, I like Blocker, he is from the same high school that produced R. Gray, Armanti Edwards, and me!:D

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Or you can look it as though your safety having one of the highest avg. tackles per game is not necessarily a good thing :)

FUwolfpacker
October 17th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Or you can look it as though your safety having one of the highest avg. tackles per game is not necessarily a good thing :)

:nod:

I wasn't able to see the game, but I did listen to it and I heard Joshua Lawson's name a lot. As stated above, that's not always a good thing, but he does sound like a pretty good player.

seantaylor
October 18th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Let's not forget 2005's Socon Freshmen of the year Dedric Bynam. He's going to be a very good one.

Mr. C
October 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM
One of the things you must realize is that since Lynch established himself as a freshman, few people challenge him, or for that matter, Wiggins either. You are asking for trouble, if you do. Sometimes, getting interceptions and fumble recoveries is a bit of luck. For example, Lynch had one interception this season and had it knocked away from him when his teammate, cornerback Justin Woazeah crashed into him, trying to intercept it himself. On several of Wiggins' interceptions, the balls have been thrown right to him. In a good defense, the safeties SHOULDN'T be leading a team in tackles, the linebackers should. And in Appalachian State's case, that is what usually happens. Lynch and Wiggins had huge games against Wofford because of the nature of the Terriers' option offense. What distinguishes Lynch as an All-American is his abilty to make BIG plays and to save touchdowns. He single-handedly saved 10 points on two plays Saturday. He has the speed to eliminate mistakes. Wiggins is the hardest hitter I've seen in I-AA. There was one drive for Furman in last year's semifinal where he knocked out three players in a matter of a few plays (Gipson, Felton and Martin). He is incredibly aggressive and his defensive coordinator, John Wiley, says he is the best player on the ASU defense.

No doubt that Blocker and Thacker are great players, too. This is a terrific year for defensive backs in I-AA, particularly safeties.

Someone mentioned Dan Tavani. I was impressed by Tavani's smart play in Wofford's game on Saturday against ASU. He doesn't have the same athletic ability as those other safeties, but he is a heady player and seems to be in the right place at the right time.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Right. I realize that Wiggins and Lynch are the big name guys. I was trying to point out that by seasons end, the best defensive back in the conference might wear #25 and play for Furman.

Mr. C
October 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Right. I realize that Wiggins and Lynch are the big name guys. I was trying to point out that by seasons end, the best defensive back in the conference might wear #25 and play for Furman.
Sorry, but Wiggins is the BEST safety in I-AA, period.

KiddBrewer
October 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM
agreed.

KiddBrewer
October 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
and my opinions not completely based on bias...based more on having seen him play so many times, as well as the stats, and having seen other socon safeties. no disrespect to them.

interesting article.
http://www.goasu.com/article/9269/

fuEMO
October 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'll be honest I can't compare Wiggins to Block. But I will say that I've seen John Keith, Cam Newton and Blocker play at Furman. And IMO Blocker plays the run better than the first two and that's saying alot. He totally disrupted the Wofford offense. The problem with Furman players sometines getting the respect they should is the depth. Blocker backed up Newton for two seasons. So he's received very little publicity until last season during the playoffs. Next season Furman will have Thomas Twitty and Max Lerner fighting it out for the strong safety position. With Twitty being a backup to Blocker for the last two seasons. I got a feeling that Lerner will make alot of noise in the SoCon as a safety for the next 4 years.

As far as Lynch goes he's a rock solid safety, plays aggressive. I respect that. But I'm still miffed by the cheap shot on Ingle in the endzone during the playoff game.

FUwolfpacker
October 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I don't like taking up for ASU, but I wouldn't really consider that a cheap shot. Ingle left his feet and had JUST crossed the goalline when Lynch hit him. It wasn't like Ingle was in standing in the back of the endzone and Lynch went for his knees. I don't know, but from the way I remember it, it wasn't a cheap shot.

All of the safeties discussed here are amazing and each one does differnt things very well. I'd take all of them in a heartbeat.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
What's Wiggins' number? I'll be looking out for him Saturday.

asu70
October 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
What's Wiggins' number? I'll be looking out for him Saturday.
That would be number 8.

fuEMO
October 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I don't like taking up for ASU, but I wouldn't really consider that a cheap shot. Ingle left his feet and had JUST crossed the goalline when Lynch hit him. It wasn't like Ingle was in standing in the back of the endzone and Lynch went for his knees. I don't know, but from the way I remember it, it wasn't a cheap shot.

All of the safeties discussed here are amazing and each one does differnt things very well. I'd take all of them in a heartbeat.

Wolfpacker… I think the players saw it differently. If I remember right Ingle got in the endzone right at the corner, and Lynch blew him up. Ingle popped right up and handed him the ball. Your right it was a bang bang play but it was obvious that Ingle had crossed the goaline, Lynch had a free shot and took it. Anyway I don't want my view to take away from the thread.

FUwolfpacker
October 18th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Fair enough fuEMO. I think it looked worse than it was b/c Ingle left his feet, so he went down pretty hard. He got up just fine though. I didn't see anything wrong with it, but everyone sees the game a little bit differently. Just kind of surprised me when you brought it up because I had class with a bunch of the players (Bray, Blocker, etc) and none of them mentioned, and I don't remember anyone on the UFFP talking about it. Anywho, it's in the past.

Back to the thread, Wiggins and Lynch suck;)

jk:)

AppMan
October 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Well of course he will be! One thing I've learned from my 25+ years association with ASU & the SoCon is regardless of the topic, Furman will always have the best. At least according to their people.

Cincy App
October 18th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Sorry, but Wiggins is the BEST safety in I-AA, period.

Wiggins is also the leader of our D. One of my favorite Wiggins plays occured after the whistle. I can still picture Wiggins carrying Jason Hunter out of the endzone and over to the sidelines after last year's championship TD against UNI to ensure that we didn't get an untimely celebration penalty.

ashram
October 19th, 2006, 02:21 AM
One thing I've learned from my 25+ years association with ASU & the SoCon is regardless of the topic, Furman will always have the best.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. :D

OL FU
October 19th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Well of course he will be! One thing I've learned from my 25+ years association with ASU & the SoCon is regardless of the topic, Furman will always have the best. At least according to their people.

And that is different from Appalachian people how?

FUwolfpacker
October 19th, 2006, 07:24 AM
And that is different from Appalachian people how?

xsmileyclapx It's no different OL FU. Some people just can't place themselves outside of their fan base and see what they look like to others at times. Have I met some FU fans that think Furman is better in everything? Yes, but there haven't been many of them. If you (not you OL FU) want to lump everybody in a fan base under one stereotype, then go right ahead. Personally, I try not to do that because it makes me look pretty stupid when I meet someone in that fan base that disproves my assumptions. And if you (as in anyone who lumps a whole fan base under a stereotype) haven't met anyone from FU, ASU, GSU, or wherever that disproves your assumptions, then you haven't tried hard enough. Despite the crap I've had to put up with at ASU and GSU, I've been able to meet some extremely nice people at both places.

Ok, I'm done:) . Point is, stereotypes are dumb:nono: .

Seriously though, this thread is getting way off track. Let's try to keep it on topic, and not turn it into a smack thread.