PDA

View Full Version : JV ?

Brad82
February 4th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Hey-who still has a JV program?
If disbanded why ? Cost?
There are so many kids going JuCo or Prep,would think this would be big help for frosh who were not on varsity (playing in game situations against D1 talent)? Which is most of them.

Twentysix
February 4th, 2014, 06:50 PM
NDSU doesn't. I am unaware, if they ever did have a JV program

Sader87
February 4th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Holy Cross has a JV team...not sure of the particulars, but they play about 4 or 5 games a year against Ivy JV's, West Point Prep etc.

MplsBison
February 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM
In general, I love the idea of playing time for young guys who won't normally see the field. (either redshirts or low depth)

You could call it "the 0th quarter game", just for guys in their first two years within the program who aren't on the two deep - or something like that. Say perhaps two hours before the official game time, you get these guys out on the field and play 15 minutes. No kickoffs, start with ball at the 25. Punts and field goals are in, though. The score doesn't get added to the official game. Perhaps the fans with game tickets can optionally attend for free or maybe you just open it to the public for free. Not sure.

Probably a fantasy. The infrastructure isn't there and creating it from scratch on a large scale might not be possible. Another potential hurdle is that the visiting team would need to travel more guys, which adds cost.

I think a more likely idea would be spring scrimmages between teams. So instead of a "Green vs. Gold" game for NDSU, they could scrimmage against SDSU and UNI in the spring. The scrimmages are open to the public and tailgating lots are open. That would be a huge fan favorite instantly.

bonarae
February 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM
While I am not on the side of keeping it this way, the Ivies (all 8) have JV teams. Only a few of us share JV information at the same page as the varsity team. Four or five games per year is the norm, and games are usually spaced apart.

Oftentimes a few players in the Ivies play all four years in the JV since they were not talented enough or were nursing injuries... that's a drawback to keeping the JV program. Usually one or two years in the JV is enough for most Ivy players, while some do not play JV at all (e.g. freshmen who had breakthroughs at training camp).

I think JuCo is still better than JV. Some Ivy players played a postgraduate year and yet may not even take the college field as varsity players...

stevdock
February 4th, 2014, 08:33 PM
If you listen carefully aren't all of us FCS teams JV teams ;)

McNeese75
February 4th, 2014, 09:55 PM

I think you have it backwards, FBS grooms them and then they transfer to FCS :D

ngineer
February 4th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Lehigh has a JV team and usually plays about four games a year...at least we did as of a few years ago. Can't say I've heard anything of late. I remember when JB Clark was a freshman some reports about his 'up side' as seen by some parents who attended those games. In the past they'd play a game against Lafayette's JV's, one or two DII or DIII JV teams, maybe Bucknell. It's a good idea as it gives players a chance to play "in the system" under game day situations.

Bisonator
February 5th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Not sure how that all works. Do you have another coaching staff for the JV's then? Are there even enough players at each position to field a JV team? Wouldn't think with just freshmen and or sophomores that aren't on the 2 deep you'd even have enough players for JV.

Brad82
February 5th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Bisonator,figure 20 camp frosh,another 10+ frosh walk ons,plus another 10 sophomores hanging around.
drop down a 3rd string QB and that's your team. Coaches are GA's and part timers. Was a huge help when played. Only play 4 games or so. Need to have competitors with driving distance.

Go Green
February 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
the Ivies (all 8) have JV teams.

Seven, actually.

Columbia disbanded their JV program because the Coach believed... actually, I'm not altogether sure what the rationale for disbanding it was. But it was the coach's decision.

It's been one of many points of contentions between the administration (who have basically taken a "hands off" approach and let the coach do what he wants) and the fans (who insist that the coach is making a series of decisions that are leading Columbia to new depths--which is saying something).

UAalum72
February 5th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I think even JV counts as a year of participation, but since the Ivy and PL don't redshirt it doesn't affect them. For others, playing JV means you only have three years left to play varsity rather than the four if you redshirted.

Professor Chaos
February 5th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Yup, according to Jim Delaney.... but then again he wears shape ups.

Green26
February 5th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Not sure how that all works. Do you have another coaching staff for the JV's then? Are there even enough players at each position to field a JV team? Wouldn't think with just freshmen and or sophomores that aren't on the 2 deep you'd even have enough players for JV.

At Dartmouth, I think whole team practices together. For the handful of JV games, some of the assistants coaches coach the JV team in the game. The games are often on Friday. The JV team varies from game to game. Some of the players can suit up for the varsity game too. The JV games provide some game-time, incentive and fun to some of the younger less developed players. If needed, even a 4th or so running back, etc. can play some in the JV game. There are some similarities to how high schools run, or used to run, JV teams. Note that the Ivies and I assume other conferences don't have redshirt years.

Go Green
February 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM
While I am not on the side of keeping it this way, the Ivies (all 8) have JV teams. Only a few of us share JV information at the same page as the varsity team. Four or five games per year is the norm, and games are usually spaced apart.

I don't know the way other Ivies do it, but I can't remember when the Dartmouth JV played another Ivy other than Harvard.

Usually it's 4-5 games against Harvard, D-III teams (Williams, Middlebury, Plymouth, Colby, Norwich), club teams (Vermont) or prep schools (Bridgton Academy, Milford Academy).

Does Harvard, Yale, etc. do it differently?

Go Green
February 5th, 2014, 09:52 AM
At Dartmouth, I think whole team practices together .

Dartmouth's JV is essentially the "scout team" for the varsity. They run whatever offense/defense Saturday's opponent is expected to run. They don't practice separately. If they do, it's usually for a half an hour to go over special teams in prep for the JV game.

Some of the players can suit up for the varsity game too. .

That's correct. But my understanding is that players can only appear in 10 games a year, whether they are JV or varsity.

At least that's what I was told.

walliver
February 5th, 2014, 10:05 AM
At one time, the NCAA did not allow freshmen to play football and just about every NCAA school had a freshman team. In fact, in many areas, the primary difference between the NCAA and NAIA was that the NAIA allowed freshmen to play varsity football (before I-AA, smaller schools would occasionally get a bowl bid, but post-season play was somewhat rare). In many cases, the freshmen team's schedule would parallel that of the varsity team, at least within the conference, but would frequently have a different OOC schedule to minimize travel expenses.

It is very unlikely that Freshman teams will return:
1) Travel expenses, especially now that many conferences are not geographically compact.
2) Freshmen teams generally played during the week, and with the NCAA looking at academic performance, most schools would not want that.

MplsBison
February 5th, 2014, 01:23 PM
At one time, the NCAA did not allow freshmen to play football and just about every NCAA school had a freshman team. In fact, in many areas, the primary difference between the NCAA and NAIA was that the NAIA allowed freshmen to play varsity football (before I-AA, smaller schools would occasionally get a bowl bid, but post-season play was somewhat rare). In many cases, the freshmen team's schedule would parallel that of the varsity team, at least within the conference, but would frequently have a different OOC schedule to minimize travel expenses.

It is very unlikely that Freshman teams will return:
1) Travel expenses, especially now that many conferences are not geographically compact.
2) Freshmen teams generally played during the week, and with the NCAA looking at academic performance, most schools would not want that.

See my post #4. My proposal would at least take care of aspect number 2. It would also most be like a "warm-up" for the coaching staff, though obviously they wouldn't show their hand to the opposing team and with young players you want a limited playbook anyway.

But alas, traveling with those extra guys might prove too much additional cost for most schools - even though that would also be good experience for the younger guys.

rmutv
February 5th, 2014, 07:49 PM
I think even JV counts as a year of participation, but since the Ivy and PL don't redshirt it doesn't affect them. For others, playing JV means you only have three years left to play varsity rather than the four if you redshirted.

That's part of the reason why Robert Morris got rid of its JV team. It burned a year off of a player's eligibility, it took extra time for the coaching staff - usually assistants and GAs to prepare for games, which were usually held on Mondays - and it took time away from recruiting better players.

Schools with JV programs don't have roster size limits. The benefit is they could bring in however many players they wanted before training camp. But the drawback is you're filling quantity and perhaps missing a little bit on quality.

ngineer
February 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Bisonator,figure 20 camp frosh,another 10+ frosh walk ons,plus another 10 sophomores hanging around.
drop down a 3rd string QB and that's your team. Coaches are GA's and part timers. Was a huge help when played. Only play 4 games or so. Need to have competitors with driving distance.

Yes, I think that is the way we run it, too. Those not involved with the Scout team, basically.

Brad82
February 6th, 2014, 05:10 AM
ngineer-the scout team is the jv team.
Start practice an hour earlier.
Frosh typically do not play anyways.

Nova09
February 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM
JV isn't really recruiting against Juco as most who go Juco are not qualifiers out of high school. NCAA eligibility still applies to JV. As noted, JV competition counts against the 4 years of competition, but the upside is no roster limits, which can be useful when a school looks to football to bolster enrollment numbers (either overall or with regard to a specific demographic). Another thing is JV is allowed to compete against prep schools, which is a recruiting opportunity.

BISON Thunder
February 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM
NDSU doesn't. I am unaware, if they ever did have a JV program
NDSU did indeed once have JV football. I do not know when it was abandoned, but I do recall attending JV games in the early 1970"s. However I do not recall if the footballs were oblong back then...:)

Model Citizen
February 6th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Hey-who still has a JV program?

Jacksonville University. No, I'm not trying to make a joke.

Bisonoline
February 6th, 2014, 04:19 PM
NDSU did indeed once have JV football. I do not know when it was abandoned, but I do recall attending JV games in the early 1970"s. However I do not recall if the footballs were oblong back then...:)

I was at NDSU in 72-73 and we didnt have a JV team at that time.

BISON Thunder
February 6th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Then it must have been a freshman game. My brother played 72-73 and there were at least a couple games. I remember Izzy (Izrow) coming into the stands and asking me if I wanted to be ballboy...I was hooked for life.

BISON Thunder
February 6th, 2014, 06:15 PM
See pages 41-42 of the University Archives...appears Freshman/JV games from 1963-1981.

http://library.ndsu.edu/repository/bitstream/handle/10365/4643/SportsInformation1.pdf

Bisonoline
February 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Then it must have been a freshman game. My brother played 72-73 and there were at least a couple games. I remember Izzy (Izrow) coming into the stands and asking me if I wanted to be ballboy...I was hooked for life.

Whos your brother?

NDSUstudent
February 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM

That's what everyone says on siouxsports.com