PDA

View Full Version : Future of the GWFC

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 03:24 PM
There has been some talk on this board (and only on this board as far as I know...not official discussions) about San Diego joining the Great West. In the short term that would put the GWFC at 6 teams, which I'm sure all conference members would enjoy.

However, there also seems to be a lot of talk about NDSU and SDSU heading over to the Gateway for football. I'm just curious to hear (especially from NDSU and SDSU fans) what peoples thoughts are regarding a change in football conference for the Dakota schools. What about UND when they move up to I-AA?

Are any of these changes reasonable options? Discuss.

bison95
October 17th, 2006, 03:36 PM
As much as we love the Great West, if an invite from the Gateway came along, and with it and auto bid, I would vote to move to the Gateway. Also we would benefit from easier scheduleing, and lack of USD fans bitching about our schedule.

Why would we worry about Notre Dame:confused:

CollegeSportsInfo
October 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
San Diego upgrading their schollies would be nice to see if only to increase the number of scholarship schools in the subdivision. But the GWFC is in a tough spot. It was always a hodge-podge of schools who joined primarily because they were all indy. But NDSU and SDSU are in a good spot now. They have a home for all non-football sports, and the GWFC for football. But the Gateway is certainly an upgrade. But if they leave, that puts a near end to the GWFC.

Not alot of options:

1) hope for the Mid-Con to FULLY ABSORB the GWFC and get W. Ill into the fold. The result would be a Mid-Con football league of...

Mid-Con:
Southern Utah
NDSU
SDSU
Western Illinois
*UC Davis
*Cal Poly
(* = associate member)

2) NDSU OR SDSU join Gateway; South Dakota Upgrade

GWFC:
SDSU OR NDSU (one joins Gateway, other remains)
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Cal Poly
SOUTH DAKOTA

3) NDSU AND SDSU join Gateway; South Dakota and San Diego Upgrade

GWFC:
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Cal Poly
SOUTH DAKOTA
SAN DIEGO
* Savannah St (brought in just to get to 6...and see how long this config lasts)

4) GWFC folds: this is probably what will happen if the Dakotas leave for the Gateway

lucchesicourt
October 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
If the GWFC survives it will likely be at or near the top of D1AA football conferences for years to come.

ucdtim17
October 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
4) GWFC folds: this is probably what will happen if the Dakotas leave for the Gateway

DING DING DING we have a winner!!

madcow
October 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM
everyone is missing one key player who would love to join the GWFC.... Sac State! with the addition of San Diego would really make this conference a CA-West appeal. making games easier to reach and cheaper for the teams plus better rivals UCD-Sac State, UCD-CP, CP-USD. also Sac state would love to join the big west for the other sports, leaving them happy facing UCD, CP, and UOP there.
so future of the Great west:
NDSU and SDSU leaves (good while it lasted, Goodluck guys)
stays:
SSU
UCD
CP
Joins:
USD (san Diego)
CSUS (Sac State)
Possible joins:
South Dakoda
North Dakoda
also.....UOP might bring back its football program and being in the Big West would join the GWFC.

So the Conf. will be 5, with the possibilities of 1 or 2 more joining later.

Cap'n Cat
October 17th, 2006, 04:22 PM
GWFC will be dead in five years, minimum.

89Hen
October 17th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I'm afraid that may be true. CalPoly, Comma Davis, NDSU and SDSU are far too good to be in a dead-end conference. The best thing that could happen IMO is if NDSU and SDSU go to the Gateway to replace WKU and CalPoly and Comma Davis go to the Big Sky for football.

The ONLY thing I could see that could save the GWFC is if UND and USD (South Dakota) move to DI and join. I seriously doubt the other USD would make a move to the GWFC and I'm not sure a six team conference would work very well anyway. :twocents:

AggiePride
October 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM

did you find that in a fortune cookie?

MylesKnight
October 17th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I'm afraid that may be true. CalPoly, Comma Davis, NDSU and SDSU are far too good to be in a dead-end conference. The best thing that could happen IMO is if NDSU and SDSU go to the Gateway to replace WKU and CalPoly and Comma Davis go to the Big Sky for football.

I see this being the end result as well, with UND and possibly USD (if/when they move up to D-I) joining the Gateway as well. That would be a STACKED conference, but another subject for another time..

...My question on this matter is, what is the Big Sky's stance on Associate Members? For Cal Poly and UC-Davis this of course would be a godsend.

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
everyone is missing one key player who would love to join the GWFC.... Sac State!

also.....UOP might bring back its football program and being in the Big West would join the GWFC.

I don't think that Sac State is all that interested in the Great West. The Big Sky is a powerful conference with an auto bid to the football playoffs...not that Sac has ever showed itself to be a contender for conference champion. I think the only way they'd leave the BSC is kicking and screaming.

That said, if Sac joined the GWFC and the Big West for all other sports it would make much more sense as far as decreased travel costs and increased regional rivalry. They'd be in an all California conference that includes UCD, Cal Poly and Pacific (their three biggest rivals) plus a bunch of other UC and CSU schools. But again, I think their delusions of football grandeur make them want to stay in the BSC and as long as the GWFC doesn't have an auto-bid, CSUS will stay put.

I heard rumors and wishfull thinking on UOP bringing back football...do you have an inside scoop?

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
...My question on this matter is, what is the Big Sky's stance on Associate Members? For Cal Poly and UC-Davis this of course would be a godsend.

The Big Sky has taken the position of no associate members for Football. I too would love to see it happen for both Poly and Davis, but the Big Sky isn't up for it. Plus they now have 9 football members which leaves them in a good scheduling situation, unless some of their members move up to IA.....:eyebrow:

(Montana fans, I included that because I know how much you'd LOVE to get that thread started again :smiley_wi )

poly51
October 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I heard rumors and wishfull thinking on UOP bringing back football...do you have an inside scoop?[/QUOTE]
According to Lynn King of the UOP Athletic Directors Office there are no discussions of bringing back football at this time.

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM
The one other, granted STRETCH possibility is a 12 member Gateway, with a Mid-Con/Mo Valley split. Virtually 5 games within 1/2, 3 from the other half, and 3 OOC games. Guaranteed 4 home/aways in conference, Out to CA/UT/Dakotas no more than 2x per year for the MoValley side. Then after five years can split and have two auto bid conferences.

BTW, This would also give the UxD's a place to go to, and be absorbed with relatively limited pain after/ near end of transition.

SUU, should they ever be invited to the Big SKY would likely leave mid-Con/GREAT West.

There is little doubt that if the Gateway offers the XDSU's the chance to join that they would pass that up if the GWFC doesn't already have auto bid locked down.

OrneryAggie
October 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
If San Diego had gotten hot 3 years ago maybe they could've convinced fellow WCC member St Mary's to hold onto football for a few more years.

I think the bleeding off of Cali football has finally stopped. 3 of the 4 Cali IAA's are ranked and even Suc St is off to its best start ever in BCS play. There's also major stadium renovations going on at the 3 public schools. Hopefully the success of the cali IAA's will convince some other west coasters to start football back up (UCSB, Long Beach, Santa Clara, Bakersfield??)

skinny_uncle
October 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
As much as we love the Great West, if an invite from the Gateway came along, and with it and auto bid, I would vote to move to the Gateway. Also we would benefit from easier scheduleing, and lack of USD fans bitching about our schedule.

Is Notre Dame moving up to I-AA?
A lot of the speculation about NDSU going to the Gateway involves WKU leaving for the Sunbelt and I-A.

MplsBison
October 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I don't see any reason why UND and USD can't just replace NDSU and SDSU in the Great West if NDSU and SDSU leave for the Gateway.

The real problem, I think, is SUU leaving for the Big Sky.

The Big Sky needs a 10th member for bball. I think SUU might be their answer.

If NDSU and SDSU stay and UND, USD, and USanDiego join, the GWFC could look like this:

NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Poly, Davis, San Diego, throw in one other CA school, and you're in business.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
We need some more I-AA West institutions...

Don't care who, where, what, when or why...but I-AA schools west of the Mississippi definitely need company especially if a few of these rumored SLC schools that want to move to I-A indeed do so...

BearsCountry
October 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Another extreme possibility with North Dakota and South Dakota is the two Minnesota schools, SCSU and Minnesota St move up as well. That could be a 7 team league with maybe 8 if San Diego wold go scholly.

TonkaBison
October 17th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I hope we find a way to stay tied in with the CA schools Poly and UC Davis. We have a tradition with UCD that goes back to the Ken O'Brien days and when Poly and NDSU together it is just good ole smashmouth football at it's best! :nod:

The Gateway is tempting but it's all conjecture unless WK leaves. It would be great to see the GWFC merge into the Gateway!! :hurray:

m_olslund - NDSU
October 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I hope we find a way to stay tied in with the CA schools Poly and UC Davis. We have a tradition with UCD that goes back to the Ken O'Brien days and when Poly and NDSU together it is just good ole smashmouth football at it's best! :nod:

The Gateway is tempting but it's all conjecture unless WK leaves. It would be great to see the GWFC merge into the Gateway!! :hurray:

I agree, it's always a battle when NDSU meets up with Poly and UCD. One of my greatest memories watching Bison football was in the 1990 playoffs against Poly when NDSU rolled up a 47-0 win in the freezing cold and snow at Dacotah Field. It was great sitting right behind the Poly bench watching them freeze and be the victim of a stampede.

Mike Johnson
October 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Western Kentucky has averaged 9200 fans per game in the three games this year. The NCAA will not allow them to transition to I-A without demonstrating 15,000 fans per game.

Indeed, it is likely to go the other way, with a few forced reclassifications from I-A to I-AA, unless the current set of rules is changed and there does not appear to be support to change them so soon after having recently revamped them.

BisBison
October 17th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Western Kentucky has averaged 9200 fans per game in the three games this year. The NCAA will not allow them to transition to I-A without demonstrating 15,000 fans per game.

Indeed, it is likely to go the other way, with a few forced reclassifications from I-A to I-AA, unless the current set of rules is changed and there does not appear to be support to change them so soon after having recently revamped them.

Do you really think the NCAA will ever enforce that policy:confused: They never have, I don't see them starting now:twocents:

grizband
October 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM
It would be a shame if the GWFC disbands, with the strength it has shown against teams from Western auto-bid conferences. I would love to see the GWFC expand to 8 teams, and make a shot for an autobid (although, how likely is it to think a team will lose one?). Unfortunately, I think the popular conesus may prove true, and this conference will not last when member teams have an opportunity of moving to a conference already in possesion of an auto-bid.

Mike Johnson
October 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Utah State seems headed toward its second strike in the new three strikes and you're out rules. They have had 39,000 fans in three games and need 36,000 fans in the final two games (vs. Hawaii and New Mexico State). If they don't average 15,000, then they go on sanctions and one more failure in the next eight years and they will be reclassified. That is, unless the newly imposed rules (effective last year) are changed and there is no support in I-A to change them again. Even if USU gets those 36,000 fans in those two games, they still have the one strike against them for eight years. They claim that it was their four years "in the wilderness" (two as an independent and two in the Sun Belt) that led to this situation. They used to average enough fans. It doesn't help that they have trouble winning games at the I-A level and that they start the year each year playing well above them.

USU seems to have the following options if they are forced to reclassify:

1. Try to get into the Great West

2. Try to get into the Big Sky

3. Try it as an independent

4. Drop football (probably the worst option)

Randy Spetman, the USU AD, answered my question about the fate of other sports at USU if reclassification happens and he told me that the WAC would not allow a school that does not have I-A football. All the other sports would need a new home. I think they would prefer to move back into the Big West (if allowed) than to the Big Sky. That would mean option 1 and the Great West. But, they would probably try option 2, the Big Sky in all sports, if the Big West won't let them back.

Spetman also assured me that they had a plan to improve their attendance and avoid reclassification, but I haven't seen any evidence of that this year. I was at the Utah-Utah State game where most of the fans wore red.

Option 2 would create the situation where Utah State and Weber State would become conference rivals and they are similar sized schools 45 miles apart. On the other hand, I think they would prefer playing against the Great West teams in football and the Big West teams in other sports, if they could. But, that would mean a conference rivalry in football with Southern Utah (formerly their "Southern Branch" from 1911 to something like 1953).

And then there is the question about what to do with those 22 scholarships they would be forced to lose.

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Sorry bison95, I meant to say und. :o

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2006, 10:44 PM
MJ's post above: IF USU is forced back to CS from BS, then Great West and Mid-Con may also make sense. Could be just the added school to keep SUU in the Mid-Con :hurray: :hurray:

So Big West isn't their only option.

FargoBison
October 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Since WKU is already a member of the Sunblelt conference I think the NCAA may not care as much. And really I don't see the NCAA caring about any I-AA moving up as long as they are joining an established conference.

BearsCountry
October 17th, 2006, 10:52 PM
NCAA isn't going to resclassify anybody and WKU will move up fine. 12 game schedule forces them to get more home games so they need more I-A wins.

SO ILLmatic
October 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM
The Gateway is tempting but it's all conjecture unless WK leaves. It would be great to see the GWFC merge into the Gateway!!

Very doubtful that fans from a certain city in Ohio would want to travel all the way to California (multiple times in one season none the less) to play regular season games. Im sure fans of other current Gateway schools would be scarce (if any at all) at these away games.

MylesKnight
October 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Concerning I-A attendance, how in the heck did FAU and FIU move up if the requirements are so strict?

On another note, a merged Gateway and Great West...WOW!! You talk about tough as nails.

m_olslund - NDSU
October 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I thought that a school could give away tickets which would count towards the 15,000. Meaning that if any school wants to avoid being classified in the sub 15,000 group they just need to hand out tickets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TonkaBison
October 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Very doubtful that fans from a certain city in Ohio would want to travel all the way to California (multiple times in one season none the less) to play regular season games. Im sure fans of other current Gateway schools would be scarce (if any at all) at these away games.

I agree it makes no sense unless you go to a split conference East and West. That limits the travel expense and as far as traveling goes for the fans I pick one long distance game a year to make the trip to. This year it was Georgia Southern (I had a blast) and I would like to see Poly's new stadium next year! I wasn't alone in the stands in Georgia by any means!!

It's not like there aren't examples of this going on elsewhere.

TonkaBison
October 17th, 2006, 11:24 PM
MJ's post above: IF USU is forced back to CS from BS, then Great West and Mid-Con may also make sense. Could be just the added school to keep SUU in the Mid-Con :hurray: :hurray:

So Big West isn't their only option.

Now this is interesting I hadn't heard of all this talk of USU struggling with attendance in DI-A. The next question is whether the NCAA will actually enforce it. My take is that if it isn't costing the NCAA money they won't bother but if it actually is a drain on NCAA resources a reclassification will occur.

The plot thickens! :dizzy:

Hammersmith
October 18th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I thought that a school could give away tickets which would count towards the 15,000. Meaning that if any school wants to avoid being classified in the sub 15,000 group they just need to hand out tickets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
A DI-A school can use paid attendance instead of actual, but there are a few restrictions. The tickets must be sold at no less than 1/3 their face value and give-aways cannot count unless the ticket is redeemed. This does leave a massive loophole in my opinion.

Let's say a school has missed the 15k mark for one year; say a 14k average. Now to prevent a warning, the following season must have 16k avereage. So, the athletic department designates a section of the stadium as "special general admission, reserved" or something and prices the tickets at $3. Now, they go to Acme Industries, a local business, and ask them to donate money to the program in the form of buying tickets. Acme could even use it as a tax writeoff. Since the tickets can be counted if they're sold for 1/3 price, that means each ticket only costs Acme $1. The company gives them to employees and if they show, they count both ways. If our example school has 6 home games, the total cost of raising attendance to 16k would be $12k(14k actual + 2k tickets@$1). I think most schools would be able to find that kind of money from a business or private donor if I-A status was on the line.

For this reason, I don't think any school will be forcibly reclassified to I-AA.

Keeper
October 18th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Hey, Grizband....
was that picture taken in your dormroom
or while tailgating(???) at the game?

holy moley, gotta visit Missoula more often.:beerchug:

I predict that within 3 years, the GreatWest
will have TWO at-large teams within one season.
As long as there are annual invites, autobids
shouldn't be a concern unless there is worry of
a second team left out.

Also, if Poly and Davis are worried about the GWC
future, and become indy again, simply beat up
on the Sky teams some more, as well as some WAC or
MtnWest teams. You'll get your bids.:twocents:

Keeper
October 18th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Also, sadly the NCAA is no closer to reclassification
than my wife morphing into Salma Hayak:bang:

RabidRabbit
October 18th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Agreed - that's why a east/west or Mid-con/Mo Valley (YSU to the MoValley portion) split makes $/:twocents: First of all, this assumes that WKU leaves for the Sunbelt.

Split - East/MoV - YSU, SIU, InSt, IlSt, UNI, MoSt.
West/Mid-Con - WIU, SDSU, NDSU, SUU, Poly, Davis

As UND, USD, U San Diego, others move up and qualify these can split into two conferences.

If play each in own half every year, and only 3 of the six in the other half each year, it is very conceivable that would be out to CA/Cedar City only 1 time in 3 years for the east teams.

aztecjim
October 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Regarding Utah State possibly being moved down. Aren't a couple other western schools like San Jose State also in trouble? A future GWFC of NDSU,SDSU,Cal Poly,UC-Davis,SJSU,USU,SUU,and ???? might look good.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I don't see any reason why UND and USD can't just replace NDSU and SDSU in the Great West if NDSU and SDSU leave for the Gateway.
That would make no sense IMO. I don't think UND and USD would move to DI and not be with NDSU and SDSU wherever that may be.

slostang
October 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Regarding Utah State possibly being moved down. Aren't a couple other western schools like San Jose State also in trouble? A future GWFC of NDSU,SDSU,Cal Poly,UC-Davis,SJSU,USU,SUU,and ???? might look good.
San Jose admin. has stated they would drop football before moving down to I-AA. I would love to see them move down, but I doubt it will happen.

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Another extreme possibility with North Dakota and South Dakota is the two Minnesota schools, SCSU and Minnesota St move up as well. That could be a 7 team league with maybe 8 if San Diego wold go scholly.

As much as it might seem like it to an outside observer (based on prox. to Mpls. and enrollment, etc.) Saint Cloud and Mankato *will not* be moving up any time soon.

Putting it in terms of Missouri, Saint Cloud and Mankato don't even have the support that Northwestern Mo St and Central Mo St have, and you certainly wouldn't expect those 2 schools to move up.

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Concerning I-A attendance, how in the heck did FAU and FIU move up if the requirements are so strict?

The 15k attendance rule is a joke.

It will never be enforced and it will never stop a team from moving to I-A from I-AA.

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 09:13 AM
That would make no sense IMO. I don't think UND and USD would move to DI and not be with NDSU and SDSU wherever that may be.

If UND and USD had that choice, obviously they would choose to be with NDSU and SDSU.

They don't have that choice.

They might end up with us and they might not.

They certainly aren't going to cancel their DI moves simply because they aren't guaranteed to be in the same conference as the SUs.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
They certainly aren't going to cancel their DI moves simply because they aren't guaranteed to be in the same conference as the SUs.
You are a lot closer to it than I, but I wouldn't dismiss the notion that a move to DI WOULD include knowing they would be joining the SU's in a conference. :nod:

RabidRabbit
October 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM

:eyebrow: This is a little like tying together Del/Del St. or even Del/Temple . Just because we're from the same state, and have been in a conference together in the past, does not mean we're tied together forever more. It would make sense to have all the Dakota schools together, but it doesn't have to be. And especially during this transition time that xDSU's are completing. The UxD's still are working their way into IAA, and have many challenges facing their move. XDSU's have solved these transition issues, and are looking good at this time. We can't solve UxD's initial issues, nor do we want to. If, and when, they move up, we'll schedule them and probably enjoy at least a couple of years of beating up on UxD's before schollies even out. But if they don't move, we aren't waiting for them, and will do our best to excel in our new conferences.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
:eyebrow: This is a little like tying together Del/Del St. or even Del/Temple . Just because we're from the same state, and have been in a conference together in the past, does not mean we're tied together forever more.
That is true, but I think the DI isolation of the Dakotas makes it a very different situation than one like ours. I assume your closest I-AA (besides NDSU) is UNI?

Brookings to Cedar Falls = 350 miles.

I-AA's within 350 miles of UD: Villanova, Towson, JMU, W&M, Richmond, Hofstra, URI, UMass, Northeastern, Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Geortgetown, Colgate, Fordham, Holy Cross, Del St, Howard, Morgan, Hampton, Norfolk, NCA&T... Cripes, YSU is only 366 miles.

UD/DSU don't have to play in the same conference because there are quite a few options that make sense. xDSU's and UxD's don't have many options. :twocents:

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM
That is true, but I think the DI isolation of the Dakotas makes it a very different situation than one like ours. I assume your closest I-AA (besides NDSU) is UNI?

Brookings to Cedar Falls = 350 miles.

I-AA's within 350 miles of UD: Villanova, Towson, JMU, W&M, Richmond, Hofstra, URI, UMass, Northeastern, Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Geortgetown, Colgate, Fordham, Holy Cross, Del St, Howard, Morgan, Hampton, Norfolk, NCA&T... Cripes, YSU is only 366 miles.

UD/DSU don't have to play in the same conference because there are quite a few options that make sense. xSDU's and UxD's don't have many options. :twocents:

Actually SDSU is our closest DI school.

Cap'n Cat
October 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Hen is correct.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Actually SDSU is our closest DI school.
I said "except NDSU" (for SDSU). You guys are a package deal in this discussion.

RabidRabbit
October 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I said "except NDSU" (for SDSU). You guys are a package deal in this discussion.

Because of proximity, timing, and virtually identical school credentials, yes we do fit together well.

Should only UND move to D-I, after their transition time is done, SDSU may end up with a different travel partner than NDSU.

Should both UND and USD move up, guarantee, if same conference, that the Souths are travel partners and North are travel partners.

However, UxD's have timing issues for the conferences, especially Mid-Con. Until those are done, or something else changes to make them good additions, UxD's have to solve their scheduling themselves. :twocents:

Go Bison
October 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM

UND is pretty confident they will be in the Big Sky Conference.

dbackjon
October 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
UND is pretty confident they will be in the Big Sky Conference.

I really want to know where they are getting that confidence from....

poly51
October 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Ideal layout for the Great West. Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento State, U San Diego in the west. North Dakota State, South Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota in the east.
Southern Utah to the Big Sky. If the Big Sky doesn't want them we will keep them. 9 in football is good.
UND and USD to the Mid Con.
Sac State to the Big West.

NorthDakotaBison
October 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I really want to know where they are getting that confidence from....

118 years of arrogance.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ideal layout for the Great West. Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento State, U San Diego in the west. North Dakota State, South Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota in the east.
Southern Utah to the Big Sky.
:confused: Do you really think SacSt would leave the Big Sky?

poly51
October 18th, 2006, 11:53 AM
:confused: Do you really think SacSt would leave the Big Sky?
If you are Sac State and are looking at all sports the Big West makes a lot more sense than the Big Sky. If the Great West is viable and looks like it will last and maybe get an Autobid it is the way to go.
If the Great West has at least 3 California schools and 3 Dakota schools with the ranking of the confrence how can the NCAA not give them an autobid.
Lots of ifs.

SO ILLmatic
October 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM
NDSU to the Gateway
North Dakota & South Dakota join SDSU in the GWFC whenever they move up

West KY seems like the are controlling the conference fates of some of these teams. Some of the future alignments will depend on what they decide to do. Most likely scenario is the Sun Belt for them.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
If you are Sac State and are looking at all sports the Big West makes a lot more sense than the Big Sky.
I thought SacSt just got out of the Big West for some sports. They're talking about going back full time?

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Some of the future alignments will depend on what they decide to do. Most likely scenario is the Sun Belt for them.
I thought it was basically 99% a done deal.

poly51
October 18th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I thought SacSt just got out of the Big West for some sports. They're talking about going back full time?
I don't think Sac Stae has ever been in the Big West. I also don't know if they are thinking about it. Probably just wishful thinking on the part of GWFC fans.

AmsterBison
October 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
UC Davis and Cal Poly are great schools to be associated because of their academic reputation. I kinda expect UC Davis to go DI-A but maybe with the rule changes and all, DI-AA is more attractive as the Aggies can have their playoffs and beat Stanford too.

The Dakota U's would complement the Dakota States very well. Even if the Gateway lures the Bison and Bunnies away, the Dakota U's would be great replacements - I don't think you'd see much drop off at all in the quality of the conference (the only way I see that happening is if there turns out not to be enough talent to support that many teams in a period of declining high school enrollments).

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I don't think Sac Stae has ever been in the Big West. I also don't know if they are thinking about it. Probably just wishful thinking on the part of GWFC fans.
Keep in mind that I was one of the ones that needed the whole UC vs Cal State vs Cal... thing explained 100 times and I still don't have it straight. :p

I thought SacSt still played some sports outside of the Big Sky and that they were in in the Big West for a couple.

As for wishful thinking, I can definitely sympathize with that. For many years I've wanted UD to play all sports under one umbrella... and next year with the A10 changing to the CAA I get my wish. I think a Big West with enough teams to have a football conference would be great. When will UC Davis be an official member of the Big West?

OrneryAggie
October 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Suc St played Baseball as an affiliate in the BW, stunk it up, and got kicked out. They went indy but are now affiliates in the WAC. They're also WAC afflilates in gymnastics.

I doubt Suc St will move anywhere until Gonzo's 2010 project has been realized.

Polywog
October 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Sac State used to play in the Big West for baseball and softball, but they left abaout 5 years ago. But you are correct, they have never been a full member of the Big West.

poly51
October 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Keep in mind that I was one of the ones that needed the whole UC vs Cal State vs Cal... thing explained 100 times and I still don't have it straight. :p

I thought SacSt still played some sports outside of the Big Sky and that they were in in the Big West for a couple.

As for wishful thinking, I can definitely sympathize with that. For many years I've wanted UD to play all sports under one umbrella... and next year with the A10 changing to the CAA I get my wish. I think a Big West with enough teams to have a football conference would be great. When will UC Davis be an official member of the Big West?
UC Davis becomes a full member of the Big West next year. 2007-2008 school year.

OrneryAggie
October 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
When will UC Davis be an official member of the Big West?

Next year UCD will be a full member of the Big West.

UCD is also currently a member of the following conferences:
PAC 10 for wrestling (with Cal Poly)
MPSF for lacrosse, indoor track, and gymnastics
WWPA for both water polo teams
WIRA for crew

dbackjon
October 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Sac St is an affiliate member of the WAC for baseball and women's gymnastics.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM
WWPA for both water polo teams
How do they teach horses to swim? :confused: :confused:

Seriously, is that an NCAA sport?

dbackjon
October 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Oh you east-coasters......xidiotx

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM

The Northeast Conference's very own St. Francis (NY) actually reached the men's Final Four in water polo last season. They compete in a water polo-only conference, as it is not sponsered by the NEC.

http://athletics.stfranciscollege.edu/news/mwater/2005/12/4/MWP120405.asp

poly51
October 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM

The Cal Poly Rodeo Team is ranked number 2 in the nation.

SochorField
October 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I would love the GWFB to look like this:

West:
UC Davis
Cal Poly
San Diego
Humboldt State (if they move up...provided they still have a team)
Pacific (if they reinstate)

East:
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
SUU

I know, not a very realistic dream.....but worth thinking about.

About UC Davis moving up to IA:
I don't see it happening for another 15-20 years. It is encouraging, however, to read that the new stadium could hold 15,000 in its FIRST phase (we had been hearing 10,000).

Utah State moving down would be sweet. They are having a lot of trouble.

Someone mentioned San Jose State moving down. It looks like they are out of hot water as of right now with Dick Tomey (at 4-1; 1-0 WAC).

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I would love the GWFB to look like this:

West:
UC Davis
Cal Poly
San Diego
Humboldt State (if they move up...provided they still have a team)
Pacific (if they reinstate)

East:
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
SUU

I know, not a very realistic dream.....but worth thinking about.

About UC Davis moving up to IA:
I don't see it happening for another 15-20 years. It is encouraging, however, to read that the new stadium could hold 15,000 in its FIRST phase (we had been hearing 10,000).

Utah State moving down would be sweet. They are having a lot of trouble.

Someone mentioned San Jose State moving down. It looks like they are out of hot water as of right now with Dick Tomey (at 4-1; 1-0 WAC).

What did we do that you would want to punish us by putting us into that division with those two? :bang: :bang: No Thanks but I've had enough of the und sewage to last a lifetime. Backstabbing ankelbiting #$%#@!@#$% is all they are.: smh : :nono: I'm just hoping for the gateway thanks. :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx

SochorField
October 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
What did we do that you would want to punish us by putting us into that division with those two? :bang: :bang: No Thanks but I've had enough of the und sewage to last a lifetime. Backstabbing ankelbiting #$%#@!@#$% is all they are.: smh : :nono: I'm just hoping for the gateway thanks. :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx

I know, sorry Backer. Just an easy scenario, from a California perspective. I would just like to see the Great West survive for a while. We are proving to be very competitive.