PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross @ Lafayette

carney2
October 17th, 2006, 12:24 PM
This is easily the most "important" game in the Patriot League this week - if any games in a league where the supposed top 3 teams are each 2-4 can be considered truly important. Of the four pretenders to the throne, these are the only two on the same field this Saturday.

Holy Cross is 5-2, 2-0 in the league, but have not recorded any "quality" wins. This will be their first brush with the supposed "big three" and will go a long way in determining if they are for real. The 'saders are on a roll and are exhibiting confidence.

Lafayette, on the other hand, has lost 4 in a row and appears to be circling the bowl. They are a schizoid team. One week Dr. Jekyl shows up on defense and Mr. Hyde on offense. The next week it's the opposite. It's been a while since Hyde and Hyde have been in the same place at the same time. "Inconsistent" doesn't even begin to tell the story.

Up until a few days ago I thought that "talent will out," and that this would be a rather easy win for Lafayette heading to Colgate the next week. Now, rumors are circulating that Lafayette does not have any spark, heart, focus, desire, whatever, with on the field leadership being seriously questioned. Frank Tavani, the Lafayette coach, has sat some upperclassmen down and threatens to do more of the same.

If these two can't get "up" for this one then they might as well stay in bed. I don't know where to go here. If I could pick a tie, I would.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM
No doubt this is a fascinating game. I see it as more of a must-win game for Lafayette than a must-win game for HC. Equally interesting is that HC hasn't won in Easton since 1989 - Lafayette has consistently been HC's "daddy".

Equally interesting is HC's QB Dominic Randolph, who has done a great job the past two games versus Dartmouth and Brown. How will he match up against Lafayette's "D"? Also, can the Lafayette "O" get going against the opportunistic HC defense?

Everything points to a dogfight.

Pard4Life
October 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM
So far I am feeling very : retard : : retard : : retard : ... you might have to carry me out in a straight jacket if we lose this one... but heck my brother said we will win this game... before the season he made his predictions and said we would win the first two, lose four straight, then beat HC... 5-5 so far... and I laughed at the suggestion we'd lose for a month.. ugh..

Go...gate
October 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Good to see Holy Cross in a resurgence.

justballn21
October 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
theres no doubt this game will be a dog fight. holy cross does some special things on offense, and i contend that they may have the best reciever core in the patriot league, although some would say unproven, in maher, mcdermott, harrison, and fanning. Dominic Randolph is made better by their ability to run solid routes and stretch the defense out. The line is solid, although Lafeyette could present some problems with the different types of blitzes they run. Defensively, holy cross is always looking to cause the turnover and stop the run. Overall, I think Lafeyette's offense presents the biggest challenge for Holy Cross, especially their line, who are proven athletes, especially St. Jermaine. It's definitely the game to watch this weekend.

ngineer
October 17th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Clearly a toss-up game at this point. Pre-season one would have thought this to be a 'tune-up' for Colgate. It's troubling that Tavani has questioned the heart of some of the seniors. His statements at Harvard implied that he felt a number of players mailed it in in the second half. Not a good sign.
Though I expect we'll have our hands full 'down the road' , we'll be listening for the scores with interest...:eyebrow:

justballn21
October 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Clearly a toss-up game at this point. Pre-season one would have thought this to be a 'tune-up' for Colgate. It's troubling that Tavani has questioned the heart of some of the seniors. His statements at Harvard implied that he felt a number of players mailed it in in the second half. Not a good sign.
Though I expect we'll have our hands full 'down the road' , we'll be listening for the scores with interest...:eyebrow:

it's always troubling when a head coach calls out some of his seniors for a lack of heart. that's just inexcusable. With Lafeyette having such a rich football tradition, it would be a shame for some seniors to throw that away with bad attitudes. I think much better of them and I hope those rumors are unfounded, for the sake of future teams and seniors.

LeopardFan04
October 17th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Lafayette's game notes are out:

http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101706aaa.html

Pards Rule
October 18th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Justballin: Its lafAyette!! :)

carney2
October 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM
It's troubling that Tavani has questioned the heart of some of the seniors. His statements at Harvard implied that he felt a number of players mailed it in in the second half. Not a good sign.

Actually, the second time this season that Tavani has made this type of statement. He accused them of "packing it in" at the end of the Princeton game.

Pards Rule
October 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Thats why I love Tavani....no BS...he tells it straight!