PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Moore To Be Inducted in SoCon Hall of Fame

AshevilleApp2
January 31st, 2014, 05:26 AM
From the Watauga Democrat

Coach Moore honored by Steve Behr Sports Editor
Former Appalachian State football coach Jerry Moore heart still lies in the Southern Conference. On Thursday, the SoCon repaid his loyalty to their league.

Moore was selected for the Southern Conference Hall of Fame by the league Thursday. Southern Conference commissioner John Iamarino informed Moore of the league's decision.
Moore is a first-ballot selection.

"I'm excited about it," Moore said. "I'm a Southern Conference guy. A lot of people think I'm against (App State's) move to the Sun Belt and that's not what I mean. I came here not knowing a lot about (the SoCon) at all. We got into the playoffs after a couple of years and we won the conference championship and it was fun. The playoffs were fun. I think it's been a good, strong league."

Also included in the 2014 SoCon Hall of Fame class are Furman women's basketball player Rushia Brown, Furman men's soccer player Clint Dempsey, former Duke football and men's basketball coach Eddie Cameron and Wake Forest's former baseball player Charlie Teague.

Moore, who coached at Appalachian State from 1989-2012, made the Mountaineers one of the strongest programs in the SoCon. He had a record of 215-87 at App State, and guided the Mountaineers to 10 Southern Conference championships and 18 postseason appearances.

Full Story Here

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/Coach-Moore-honored-id-013901

AshevilleApp2
January 31st, 2014, 05:27 AM
Mods.

Please put this in whichever forum seems appropriate.

Bisonator
January 31st, 2014, 09:54 AM
Nice honor for Coach Moore.

Sandlapper Spike
January 31st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, the SoCon has screwed up its own Hall of Fame, and in my opinion devaluing the honor.

blueballs
January 31st, 2014, 12:53 PM
Very well deserved... congratulations to Coach Moore!!!!!

AshevilleApp2
January 31st, 2014, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately, the SoCon has screwed up its own Hall of Fame, and in my opinion devaluing the honor.

How so? I'm really not familiar with the subject.

Sandlapper Spike
January 31st, 2014, 04:20 PM
They have only inducted four male athletes who competed after 1955, for one thing. There are also no honorees representing The Citadel or VMI (combined years in league: 157).

They have bent over backwards to enshrine a bunch of coaches and athletes from the current ACC/SEC schools, at the expense of the schools that have made up the balance of the league for 2/3 of its existence.

However, for some reason the conference has inducted TWO basketball officiating supervisors. That's how good the officiating has been in the league over the years, I guess...

AshevilleApp2
February 8th, 2014, 01:10 PM
They have only inducted four male athletes who competed after 1955, for one thing. There are also no honorees representing The Citadel or VMI (combined years in league: 157).

They have bent over backwards to enshrine a bunch of coaches and athletes from the current ACC/SEC schools, at the expense of the schools that have made up the balance of the league for 2/3 of its existence.

However, for some reason the conference has inducted TWO basketball officiating supervisors. That's how good the officiating has been in the league over the years, I guess...

Been gone for a bit so I haven't kept up. You make good points.

Eagle22
February 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Thomas Haskins deserves to be in the SoCon Hall of Fame, representing VMI. Heck, what he accomplished in his time there is worthy of consideration for the collegiate Hall of Fame, in my opinion.

I am sure Fred Jordan will be a no-brainer for the Hall once he retires. Have you nominated Chal Port ?

I'm not up on Citadel or VMI history prior to 1985, to know what they accomplished of athletic worth that is significant for Hall inclusion.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 8th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Congrats to Coach Moore.

This forum is just fine AA2, sorry I didn't reply to this right away.

citdog
February 8th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Congrats to Coach Moore. A richly deserved honor. The Hall of Fame is a **** show.

appsfan
February 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Nice honor for Coach Moore. I agree that the SoCon should focus more on the modern era, post 1970 with future inductions.