PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Kelly Leaving Georgetown

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2014, 08:20 AM
FootballScoop.com reporting he is leaving for the DC post at Ball State.

(This has been confirmed.)

jimbo65
January 30th, 2014, 08:39 AM
FootballScoop.com reporting he is leaving for the DC post at Ball State.

(This has been confirmed.)
Too bad for the program. Coach certainly had some success on a very uneven playing field.

RichH2
January 30th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Lembo knows talent. Congrats to Kelly. Tough blow for Hoyas. He almost singlehandedly invigorated GU football. I hope they can get as good a HC quickly.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Rob Sgarlata has been appointed interim head coach.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/013014aaa.html

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Good for Coach Kelly - but ouch. Bad for G'town and bad for the PL.

Franks Tanks
January 30th, 2014, 10:11 AM

What are the chances Sgarlata gets the job full time? The guy is a Georgetown grad and lifer spending 18 years on the Hoya staff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 30th, 2014, 10:28 AM
And the offseason of change continues. I think Kelly's a pretty good coach that simply didn't get any help. He'll be a great addition to Lemboo's staff imo.

This has to be devastating blow to the Hoya program. How in the world will they be able to salvage the recruiting class?

Sader87
January 30th, 2014, 10:30 AM
And the offseason of change continues. I think Kelly's a pretty good coach that simply didn't get any help. He'll be a great addition to Lemboo's staff imo.

This has to be devastating blow to the Hoya program. How in the world will the be able to salvage the recruiting class?

There's joke there somewhere....

Wallace
January 30th, 2014, 11:21 AM
huge loss for georgetown

Gater
January 30th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Wish Georgetown would go scholarship and build a nice 8,000 seat stadium and raise the entire profile of The Patriot League. A strong football program there would be so good for everyone instead of the league always feeling like it needs to expand--that should be the expansion. A fully-supported Georgetown would be a monster. Get a Georgetown degree for free, play in a new stadium in DC, go to the playoffs, beat up on some MAC schools and put a scare into ACC schools every few years. All you need is $30,000,000. Come on!!!

Go Green
January 30th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Silly question, but what's the point of having an interim head coach in the offseason?

carney2
January 30th, 2014, 12:40 PM
A magician could make the Hoyas competitive. It's a brand name school in a great location and could be attractive to some kids if reasonable financial aid is available. Unfortunately, magicians are few and far between. This will be a difficult sell to get a quality new coach.

Wallace
January 30th, 2014, 12:57 PM
one of the greatest fight songs too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snf_EDoHh-8

Bill
January 30th, 2014, 01:44 PM
A magician could make the Hoyas competitive.

D.C. Here I come! :)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18816&stc=1

Pard4Life
January 30th, 2014, 06:43 PM
This has to be devastating blow to the Hoya program. How in the world will they be able to salvage the recruiting class?

They do have cheerleaders, yes?

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 07:25 PM
They do have cheerleaders, yes?

Yes.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4530/4gh0.png

HoyaMetanoia
January 30th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Are people here crazy? Kelly was an absolutely miserable coach. Wasn't well liked by his players (and I played under him as a punter...which was a very active position given our offense) and didn't have any meaningful success. His one good year was because of an OC that quickly jumped ship. Take away a year of 8 wins, and how can you honestly say that he was doing better than an inanimate object would have done with the same talent?

HoyaMetanoia
January 30th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Lembo knows talent. Congrats to Kelly. Tough blow for Hoyas. He almost singlehandedly invigorated GU football. I hope they can get as good a HC quickly.

Is this sarcasm? I really can't tell. Lord I hope it is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 30th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Are people here crazy? Kelly was an absolutely miserable coach. Wasn't well liked by his players (and I played under him as a punter...which was a very active position given our offense) and didn't have any meaningful success. His one good year was because of an OC that quickly jumped ship. Take away a year of 8 wins, and how can you honestly say that he was doing better than an inanimate object would have done with the same talent?

He did better than Benson imo. I don't see anyone succeeding at Georgetown given the schools commitment to football relative to their peers in the PL. Fordham hoops faces the same problem in the A10.

ngineer
January 30th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Wish Georgetown would go scholarship and build a nice 8,000 seat stadium and raise the entire profile of The Patriot League. A strong football program there would be so good for everyone instead of the league always feeling like it needs to expand--that should be the expansion. A fully-supported Georgetown would be a monster. Get a Georgetown degree for free, play in a new stadium in DC, go to the playoffs, beat up on some MAC schools and put a scare into ACC schools every few years. All you need is $30,000,000. Come on!!!

When Lembo was at Lehigh, I remember him telling me at a luncheon that Georgetown was the "sleeping giant" in the league and if they put any kind of commitment to the program they could be "the monster" of the league. Will Kelly leaving at this stage in the recruiting could be devastating. Of course, a good number of kids going to G'town ARE going there for a world class education, and may well stay on. But the whole scene is ugly.

Sader87
January 30th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Georgetown has a FCS program because the Ivies play at that level....nothing more, nothing less...they could care less if they win or not. Saying that, the same argument could made to varying degrees for the other PL schools as well.

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 11:09 PM
I think we played Ball State in field hockey or something. It was in Easton. We destroyed them.

DFW HOYA
January 31st, 2014, 06:38 AM
Georgetown has a FCS program because the Ivies play at that level....nothing more, nothing less...

Except that not's true. It joined I-AA after the 1992 season and didn't play an Ivy League team for 10 years and didn't have them scheduled eitehr, because Ivy teams wouldn't deign to play MAAC schools. Ivy wasn't in the schedule until Georgetown joined the Patriot League, and only then because Towson cancelled its future schedules.

Will Georgetown play them in the future? That's up to the new coach.

CFBfan
January 31st, 2014, 06:39 AM
Is this sarcasm? I really can't tell. Lord I hope it is.

Kelly is a very good POSITION coach, very good with LB's, he is a BAD head coach. He is in the right place at Ball

Bill
January 31st, 2014, 07:40 AM
CFB - saw your post earlier regarding Loose - I apologize about the LB/DC comment...my brain obviously wasn't working well that day!

CFBfan
January 31st, 2014, 08:08 AM
CFB - saw your post earlier regarding Loose - I apologize about the LB/DC comment...my brain obviously wasn't working well that day!

ha! no worries, i have my share of those moments!!

ColgateTD
January 31st, 2014, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Coach Kelly in moving into a new program where he might find some success. Gotta be hard on the Hoya's recruiting. We will see Coach Kelly again this fall on the field.

DFW HOYA
January 31st, 2014, 10:45 AM
What makes it doubly difficult on recruiting (scholarships notwithstanding) is the recruits have no idea of who the head coach is (or his philosophy, or presumably his assistants) when they are committing, presumably over the next week. When Kelly was hired in 2006, it was a late hire (Benson resigned in mid-December) but his hire still came before signing day. Maybe coincedentally, this was the 2006 recruiting class who, as seniors, went 0-11.

Georgetown also tends to move deliberately on all hiring searches. This is a somewhat..."challenging" opportunity and it needs to find someone who is not just looking for a quick jump elsewhere. Kelly was only the third Georgetown head coach since the 1970 season, so the school values someone for the long haul.

Maybe this is settled in two weeks, but this could also be open into the spring, too.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 31st, 2014, 10:52 AM
Here's a thought.

Mike Shanahan volunteers to come into Georgetown to try to turn the place around. The combination of a former NFL coach, Georgetown, DC, proximity to power, makes even need-based recruiting a lot easier. Shanahan, eager to prove that the Redskins were fools to meddle with his administration, comes to the job with vigor and passion to turn the place around. Best of all, it's the opposite of the high-pressure, dysfunctional job with the Redskins. There is no pressure, and if he's successful, it's a stick in the Redskins' eye.

You may or may not like Shanahan as a head coach, but - really, why not? Why can't Shanahan and Georgetown do this?

CFBfan
January 31st, 2014, 10:57 AM
Here's a thought.

Mike Shanahan volunteers to come into Georgetown to try to turn the place around. The combination of a former NFL coach, Georgetown, DC, proximity to power, makes even need-based recruiting a lot easier. Shanahan, eager to prove that the Redskins were fools to meddle with his administration, comes to the job with vigor and passion to turn the place around. Best of all, it's the opposite of the high-pressure, dysfunctional job with the Redskins. There is no pressure, and if he's successful, it's a stick in the Redskins' eye.

You may or may not like Shanahan as a head coach, but - really, why not? Why can't Shanahan and Georgetown do this?

Apparently you've started drinking a bit early today

HoyaMetanoia
January 31st, 2014, 11:06 AM
Kelly is a very good POSITION coach, very good with LB's, he is a BAD head coach. He is in the right place at Ball

A reasonable statement.

Much more reasonable than saying he "invigorated" the program, or even did a good job. He was a terrible head coach.

Bogus Megapardus
January 31st, 2014, 11:15 AM
Timing's just a bit off for John Loose. He'd actually be terrific in D.C.

Go Green
January 31st, 2014, 12:04 PM
A reasonable statement.

Much more reasonable than saying he "invigorated" the program, or even did a good job. He was a terrible head coach.

Yale darn near hired him a few years ago.

HoyaMetanoia
January 31st, 2014, 12:31 PM
Yale darn near hired him a few years ago.

And it would've been the biggest mistake they've ever made. Bigger than the Tom Williams fiasco.

CFBfan
January 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM
And it would've been the biggest mistake they've ever made. Bigger than the Tom Williams fiasco.

Williams was a dirtbag Kelly is a decent man, apples & oranges comparing those 2.

Model Citizen
January 31st, 2014, 03:28 PM
There won't be a Shanahan at Georgetown. The interim coach will run the show through next season.

After that, I think Georgetown needs to figure out how they will go forward with the program. A long-term coaching decision is secondary.

DFW HOYA
January 31st, 2014, 03:44 PM
There won't be a Shanahan at Georgetown. The interim coach will run the show through next season.

After that, I think Georgetown needs to figure out how they will go forward with the program. A long-term coaching decision is secondary.

Sgarlata has a lot of supporters but there's no guarantee he will get the job--they could end up hiring someone late, but securing assistants in March or April would be difficult.

Georgetown knows how to go forward with the program. It may not be what some PL people want or like, but it's got to make financial sense.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2014, 12:02 PM
From hoyasaxa.com (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm), here is the official advertisement Georgetown has posted for its vacant head coaching position:

"Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Football Coach is responsible for the recruitment and retention, supervision, and coaching of NCAA Division I football student-athletes, under the guidelines of the Patriot League and the NCAA. Incumbent will carry out duties within the stated philosophy of Georgetown athletics and its educational mission, and will adhere to all institutional, Patriot League and NCAA regulations to ensure the University’s compliance. The Head Coach will make the decisions required for successful achievement of department goals and objectives, and be accountable for the development of team policy and goals. The Head Coach will oversee and lead all practices and competitions, including, but not limited to: game preparation, practice planning, individual skills and video sessions, scouting, scheduling, weight training and fitness programs.

The Head Coach will evaluate prospective student-athletes, analyze and determine their abilities and whether or not they may succeed academically and athletically at Georgetown in conjunction with the academic requirements set forth by the Patriot League. The Head Coach, with the Academic Coordinator for Student-Athletes and the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Internal Operations, will monitor student-athlete academic performance and conduct, and identify and address student-athlete welfare issues. The Head Coach will represent the University in donor/alumni public relations and community programs. The Head Coach will work with the Associate Athletics Director for Business to develop an annual budget for the football program and is responsible for running the program within budgetary guidelines set forth by the Athletics Department.

REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree, though Master’s preferred; a minimum of five years of coaching experience related to duties and responsibilities specified, preferably at college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience."

I have to marvel at Georgetown's ability to author that piece without a single instance of a personal pronoun.

Sader87
February 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
A woman head coach would actually not be a bad move for GTown to create some buzz.....xrotatehx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
From hoyasaxa.com (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm), here is the official advertisement Georgetown has posted for its vacant head coaching position:

I have to marvel at Georgetown's ability to author that piece without a single instance of a personal pronoun.

It's as if they were heading off at the pass my suggestion for the Hoyas to hire Shanahan. Although they do say "preferably" in regards to their minimum of five years experience of coaching football at the collegiate level.

I repeat: Shanahan would be the best available candidate for their position.

DFW HOYA
February 3rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
It's as if they were heading off at the pass my suggestion for the Hoyas to hire Shanahan...I repeat: Shanahan would be the best available candidate for their position.

Kyle Shanahan was hired over the weekend by the Browns.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000321397/article/kyle-shanahan-to-be-cleveland-browns-next-oc