PDA

View Full Version : Who's older?

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Mid-season stagnation...and I'm a history nut.

Who's older? I'm sure you Ivys will jump at this one.

Furman University claims roots back to 1826. The old addage around campus, "where your best hasn't been good enough since 1826" still applies :)

....App State sucks.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Delaware was founded as a small, private academy in 1743. If I remember correctly, I believe there were three Delaware grads who actually signed the Declaration of Independence.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
IIRC, Harvard is the oldest university in the US and William & Mary is the second oldest. I don't have time right now to research when they were established but I'm sure Crimson and Tribe posters know the exacty dates! :p

bandl
October 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM
IIRC, Harvard is the oldest university in the US and William & Mary is the second oldest. I don't have time right now to research when they were established but I'm sure Crimson and Tribe posters know the exacty dates! :p

Furman isn't even in the same category as these two older-than-hell institutions. :read:

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Why don't you ask the columnist Sid Hartman up in Minneapolis, I'm sure he attended the first game!

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Why don't you ask the columnist Sid Hartman up in Minneapolis, I'm sure he attended the first game!

xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
October 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Delaware was founded as a small, private academy in 1743. If I remember correctly, I believe there were three Delaware grads who actually signed the Declaration of Independence.

Yeah, I think UD is actually the 6th oldest school - Harvard, then W&M, then I think Yale and Columbia and Penn.

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2006, 10:01 AM

:lmao:

Death Dealer
October 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Furman played the first college football game in the state of SC in 1889 against Wofford. The score was 1-5 in favor of Wofford. Luckily, we've gotten a little better since then.xlolx

Appstate29
October 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM
ASU was founded in 1899, so it is not very old. However it was founded by a guy with the coolest name in history. Yes I took a poll and he won, his name; Dauphin Disco Doughtery. Beat that Furman...

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Yale is 3rd oldest- established in 1701

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I know that. Furman ranks as the 65th (I think) oldest university in the US. This was more of a question about when your schools were founded.

dbackjon
October 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Northern Arizona University:

1899 - Northern Arizona Normal School (NANS) opened its doors on September 11, 1899 with twenty-three students, one professor, and two copies of Webster's International Dictionary bound in sheepskin. The Normal School's first president, Almon Nicholas Taylor, later assisted by Ms. Frances Bury, had scoured the countryside in horse and buggy seeking students to fill the classrooms of the single school building, now known as Old Main. From the students they recruited, four women made up the first graduating class of 1901 and received lifetime teaching certificates for the Arizona Territory.

1925 - The school celebrated its new status as Northern Arizona State Teachers College, a four-year institution with the power to grant the bachelor of education degree. On July 1, 1929, NASTC became Arizona State Teachers College (ASTC) at Flagstaff.

1945 - At the end of the war, the College again changed names to reflect the institution's offerings of degrees in the arts and sciences, and Arizona State College (ASC) at Flagstaff was born. Enrollment soon surpassed prewar levels, with returning veterans adding an interesting, worldly twist to campus life.

1966 - Impressed with the array of quality academic programs and raplidly growing number of students, the Arizona Board of Regents recommended that ASC become Northern Arizona University effective May 1, 1966. In 1968, NAU received authorization to offer Doctorates of Philosophy and Education. The first doctoral candidates graduated in 1973.

crunifan
October 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
The Iowa State Normal School was founded in 1876. In 1909 it changed it's name to the Iowa State Teacher's College.

Finally, in 1967 it became known as the University of Northern Iowa!

aceinthehole
October 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I don't know how accurate this is, but it is intersting.

http://www.kipnotes.com/Colleges.htm

LeopardFan04
October 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Lafayette was founded in 1826, although I believe the first classes weren't until 1832...1826, was the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence...and following a visit by the Marquis de Lafayette to Easton on a farewell tour of sorts in America the college was named after him...

Death Dealer
October 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Cool Link!

poly51
October 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Cal Poly was established by the State of California in 1901.
Women were barred from attendence in 1930.
Women were readmitted starting in 1956.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM
If my memory serves me correct GSU was founded in 1906 as Georgia's Teachers College. It was one of the few co-ed colleges. We became a university in 1990. any gsu-ians feel free to correct me.

Russ B
October 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM
UCDavis was founded in 1905 as the University Farm (first classes were offered in 1908, apparently), attached to the Berkeley campus. Became a full UC campus in 1959.

AggieFinn
October 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.ucdavis.edu/spotlight/0305/centennial.html

A little bit o' history on UC Davis -- us westerners got started much later then the original colonial schools. New School Por Vida! :cool:

http://www-ucdmag.ucdavis.edu/win02/graphics/Toomey.jpghttp://www-dateline.ucdavis.edu/050903/jimsochor4.jpg

Coach "Crip" Toomey - 1930 -- Coach Jim Sochor - Brought the West Coast O to the Aggies after studying Walsh of the 49ers, and the Dallas Cowboys in the 1970's

Green26
October 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Harvard was founded in 1636. W&M in 1693. Harvard had the first football stadium, built in 1903. It was eventually expanded to hold 57,000, but it's capacity is now in the low 30,000's. It's a great stadium, a U shape built like the Coliseum, with the stands close to the field. Princeton and Yale had the next two football stadiums, both built in 1914. Princeton's original stadium seated 45,750, but it was torn down and replaced about 15 or so years ago with a smaller stadium. Yale, a big wooden bowl, once had seating capacity in the high 80,000's or higher, I believe, but has a bit less capacity now. There have been 20 Yale games with over 70,000 in attendance, the last being in 1983. I thought that the width of a football field was established where it is because of Harvard stadium, but when I just went looking for that, I found a reference to it being set because of space constraints at Yale. In the early years, football was played on larger rugby fields and the current width was not standardized until well into the 20th century.

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
In 1966 the Kellogg-Voorhis unit, a satellite campus of cal Poly in Orange County, became a separate college now called Cal Poly Pomona...or CSU Pomona as I like to say. :nod:

In the 1990's the campus in San Luis Obispo (SLO) got the rights from the NCAA to use the name "Cal Poly" for all of its sports teams since it was the original camus, is D1, and is larger than Pomona. You still see a fair amount of "Cal Poly SLO" in the media, but the correct term is just Cal Poly. For the most part, when you say Cal Poly people think of SLO, though in the L.A. area there is still some confusion with Pomona since it it in their back yard. For this reason the LA Time is notorious for refusing to drop the "SLO" in its articles, and I think that paper is a big reason why there is still confusion.

But I digress. Poly was founded in 1901. :D

bostonspider
October 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Richmond's predecessor institution was founded in 1830 as a Baptist Seminary. The school was reformed in 1840 as Richmond College and chartered as such by the Virginia Legislature. The School moved in 1914 to the West End of Richmond and Westhampton College for women was founded then. The two schools were placed under the University of Richmond title at this time.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Harvard was founded in 1636, just 16 years after Plymouth Rock! I hope to live long enough to attend the 400th anniversary celebration.

atlGAmocs
October 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Since its founding as Chattanooga University in 1886, The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga has developed an institutional excellence which rests on an unusual blend of the private and public traditions of American education.

Although evidence shows that the game of football was played in the city of Chattanooga before the turn of the century, Grant University and the University of Chattanooga did not begin intercollegiate competition in the sport until 1904. UTC celebrated its 100th year of Mocs football during the 2003 season.

DFW HOYA
October 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Ten oldest I-AA schools:

Harvard-1636
William & Mary-1693
Yale-1701
Delaware-1743 (not charted until 1833, though)
Princeton-1746
Columbia-1754
Pennsylvania-1757
Brown-1764
Dartmouth-1769
Georgetown-1789 (there have been prior claims that Georgetown was actually founded in 1634 but the University uses the 1789 date instead.)

OL FU
October 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Harvard was founded in 1636, just 16 years after Plymouth Rock! I hope to live long enough to attend the 400th anniversary celebration.

Yep, the Pilgrims landed and said "Aahh Paradise":nod:

Now what can we do to screw it up:confused:

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM
University of Chattanooga was founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1886...specializing in Law, Medicine, Divinity and Latin (along with general undergrad classes).

In the 1890's, they moved the ungrad classes their newly established Athens (TN) satellite campus.

At the turn of the century, they moved all classes back to Chattanooga and the Athens campus ultimately became Tennessee Wesleyan College (still there today).

From the 1920's-1960's. UC was considered on par with schools like Vanderbilt, Rhodes (Memphis) and Sewanee (Univ of the South).

In 1969 the University of Tennessee came to town and in no uncertain terms told UC that they would be establishing a state school in Chattanooga and that it could either be UtC...or with much lower tuition, they would basically put UC out of business.

The school saw the writing on the wall and finally agreed...that is why most Chattanooga alums can't stand Knoxville. The only real good thing is that Knxoville "paid" the school for the campus and it was set aside in a private endowment that to this day, Knoxville has no control over. The UC foundation currently has an endowment of about $125 million (not too bad for a little "hypenated" "public" school :))

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
BTW...for you Delaware fans...former UD president Walter Hullihen (1920-1944) was the first football coach at UC back in 1904 (he taught Greek and Latin at the school). He was the head coach for 2 seasons and had an 8-4 record which included a win over Tennessee.

Alas, he always said he was a much better Latin teacher than football coach and gave up his duties after the 1905 season.

rmutv
October 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Robert Morris has you all topped. It was founded WAY back in, um, 1921.

We're in the room with a bunch of geezers! :bow:

HiHiYikas
October 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Any school founded in the NC mountains in the early 19th century would have had a hard time finding students.

In 1914, John Preston Arthur wrote in his History of Western North Carolina:

North Carolina has little reason to be proud of her early history in the cause of education. For years there was greater illiteracy in this State than in any other, and the improvement of late years has not been any greater than it should have been.
http://www.newrivernotes.com/nc/wnc17.htm

I can't recall where I found this article; it must have been in one of the local newspapers.

The High Country as we know it today exists because of the selfless dedication and incredible hard work of two native sons of Ashe County, Blanford Barnard and Dauphin Disco Dougherty. It is thanks to them that Appalachian State University exists and that it was built in Boone.

The brothers were a study in contrasts. B.B. was a lifelong bachelor; D.D. had a happy family life. B.B. was a brilliant educator; D.D. had the business sense in the family.

B.B. was a quiet, severe-looking man with a passion for education. When the school superintendent of Ashe County was away from home one day, young B.B. galloped after him on horseback to get his teaching certificate. That was all it took in those days: pass an oral exam from the local superintendent, and you could teach. B.B. did it, but he knew it wasn't what the mountains needed.

He dreamed of a college where young men and women from the mountains would become real teachers, teachers as learned and trained as any in the country. Then, his dream continued, they would return to their farms and towns and inspire the next generation.

In 1899, his dream began to come true when the two brothers opened Watauga Academy in Boone. Four years later, B.B. mounted his horse and rode off to Raleigh to seek state funds for a teaching college. After some local debate and consideration, the state funds went to turn Watauga Academy into Appalachian State Teachers' College. The High Country, and the lives of thousands of young people, would be changed forever.

HiHiYikas
October 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Furman is named for the founder of George Washington University, Richard Furman. Richard was the most important Baptist in the antebellum South. He was a strong advocate for education, though he himself was not formally educated. He was the first President of the Triennial Convention, the first national body of Baptists (which split over slavery into the Southern Baptist Convention and the Northern [now American] Baptist Churches). Furman himself was an aristocratic slaveowner who wrote the classic Southern biblical defense of slavery.

The school was founded as Furman Academy and Theological Institute in Edgefield, SC. It was a financial disaster, and closed its doors in 1834. It reopened 1837, as a school for manual labor, theology, and classics. The manual labor school failed, the classical school closed, and Furman was a theological school alone for about a decade.

It moved to Greenville in 1851, took the name Furman University, and named Richard Furman's son, James the new President.

Furman had a large role in the founding of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, which was organized in Greenville before moving to Louisville after the Civil War. The Seminary I attend, Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond, was also founded in Greenville. We have several Furman grads on our faculty.

I had dinner last night with a former Furman trustee, whose wife is a trustee at the seminary. He looked a little surprised when I tolf him I had attended Appalachian State. I was sure to say good things about Jerome Felton to him.

HiHiYikas
October 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Richmond's predecessor institution was founded in 1830 as a Baptist Seminary. The school was reformed in 1840 as Richmond College and chartered as such by the Virginia Legislature. The School moved in 1914 to the West End of Richmond and Westhampton College for women was founded then. The two schools were placed under the University of Richmond title at this time.
That's an interesting story, too. Columbian College (Now George Washington University) had just been founded up in Washington, and was offerring free tuition to ministers. The problem was, many of the young ministers in the Richmond area weren't prepared to enroll. Plus, relocation to Washington seemed unfeasible.

There were a number who wholeheartedly opposed starting an institution that would interfere with Columbian College. Jeremiah Bell Jeter writes that Robert Ryland, a recent Columbian graduate, looked upon the formation of Richmond College "with distrust, if not hostility."

Ironically, it was Ryland who took charge of the school only 2 years later, when it moved "about 4 miles from the city, just beyond Young's mill-pond. (currently the site of Bryan Park in North Richmond). Like Furman, its SC-counterpart, Richmond was in those days a manual labor school. It seems there was quite a craze for manual labor school in the 1830's. Jeter writes "the scheme quickly and utterly failed under the management of the Virginia Baptist Education Society. Its failure might have been easily foreseen."

In 1835, the Education Society appointed a committee to select and purchase a site back in Richmond city. They purchased "Columbia," the private residence of the Haxall family, which was the most attractive residence in the city, for $10,500. "The Baptist Seminary," as it was known by then, continued to meet for several years before the leadership began to seek a charter for the school.

The school was in no shape to obtain a charter; many critics thought the idea of chartering such a tiny theological school, with no semblance to a real college, was absurd. The charter was granted, however, and Bapatist Seminary "was gradually supplanted by Richmond College."

walliver
October 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Wofford was founded in 1854 with funds provided by the Rev. Benjamin Wofford, a circuit-riding Methodist preacher. It had a very large endowment at its creation, which was lost when the war bonds it had invested in became worthless during the Northern Occupation. Every graduate of Wofford has attended at least one class in the original building (Old Main). Wofford alumni and faculty were instrumental in the developement of Vanderbilt (once a Methodist school) and Trinity College (Now Duke, which was once a Southern school).

GOTOREROS
October 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM
San Diego was founded in 1949 so we are really "old school".....lol.

GOTOREROS

Pard4Life
October 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM
That crappy Lehigh Valley school was founded in 1869 I believe...

TheValleyRaider
October 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM
1819-the Baptist Education Society (13 men with 13 dollars and 13 prayers) was granted a charter and founded as the Hamilton Theological Institute in Hamilton, NY.

1846-The school was granted a charter to grant baccalaureatte degrees and renamed Madison University (after Madison County, NY) after a split moved the seminary to Rochester.

1890-Madison University officially changed its name to Colgate University to recognize 70 years of involvement and service from the Colgate family, whose fortune was based in the manufacture of soap (not toothpaste yet).

CSUBUCDAD
October 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Charleston Southern was founded in 1964 as Baptist College. My wife is a grad and my mother and father-in-law were original benefactors and have their name inscribed on a stone tablet that hangs outside one of the buildings. That makes it 5 years younger than me.

Umass74
October 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM
UMass was started as Massachusetts Agricultural College as a land-grant school in 1867. We had 310 acres, four professors, four wooden buildings and 56 students. In 1931 "Mass Aggie" became Mass State College and in 1947 became the University of Mass at Amherst.

Played our first football game on Nov. 22, 1879. Beat the Amherst College freshmen 4-0. :)

Cap'n Cat
October 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM

And they all did their undergrad work at Northern Iowa.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

HiHiYikas
October 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM
1819-the Baptist Education Society (13 men with 13 dollars and 13 prayers) was granted a charter and founded as the Hamilton Theological Institute in Hamilton, NY.

1846-The school was granted a charter to grant baccalaureatte degrees and renamed Madison University (after Madison County, NY) after a split moved the seminary to Rochester.

1890-Madison University officially changed its name to Colgate University to recognize 70 years of involvement and service from the Colgate family, whose fortune was based in the manufacture of soap (not toothpaste yet).
I never realized that Colgate and Colgate-Rochester Seminary were related. I know a number of their grads; I have a friend who was a fellow student there with some preacher's kid named Martin Luther King Jr.

89Hen
October 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
BTW...for you Delaware fans...former UD president Walter Hullihen (1920-1944) was the first football coach at UC back in 1904
Hullihen Hall at UD...

http://www.udel.edu/eli/tour/intloff2.jpg

Unfortunately, an admin building at UD. You only went there if you had a problem with your admissions or registration (or were put on academic probation).

dbackjon
October 17th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hullihen Hall at UD...

http://www.udel.edu/eli/tour/intloff2.jpg

(or were put on academic probation).

That never could have happened to you, right?

bostonspider
October 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM
That's an interesting story, too. Columbian College (Now George Washington University) had just been founded up in Washington, and was offerring free tuition to ministers. The problem was, many of the young ministers in the Richmond area weren't prepared to enroll. Plus, relocation to Washington seemed unfeasible.

There were a number who wholeheartedly opposed starting an institution that would interfere with Columbian College. Jeremiah Bell Jeter writes that Robert Ryland, a recent Columbian graduate, looked upon the formation of Richmond College "with distrust, if not hostility."

Ironically, it was Ryland who took charge of the school only 2 years later, when it moved "about 4 miles from the city, just beyond Young's mill-pond. (currently the site of Bryan Park in North Richmond). Like Furman, its SC-counterpart, Richmond was in those days a manual labor school. It seems there was quite a craze for manual labor school in the 1830's. Jeter writes "the scheme quickly and utterly failed under the management of the Virginia Baptist Education Society. Its failure might have been easily foreseen."

In 1835, the Education Society appointed a committee to select and purchase a site back in Richmond city. They purchased "Columbia," the private residence of the Haxall family, which was the most attractive residence in the city, for $10,500. "The Baptist Seminary," as it was known by then, continued to meet for several years before the leadership began to seek a charter for the school.

The school was in no shape to obtain a charter; many critics thought the idea of chartering such a tiny theological school, with no semblance to a real college, was absurd. The charter was granted, however, and Bapatist Seminary "was gradually supplanted by Richmond College."

Both Jeter and Ryland are now immortalized on the current Richmond College campus with and residential and academic building respectively. Interestingly of all the original RC buildings downtown, only "Columbia" remains.

Jeter Hall
http://www.urich.edu/visit/full_tour/buildings/jeter/images/hires/2.jpg

Ryland Hall
http://www.urich.edu/visit/full_tour/buildings/rylandha/images/hires/0.jpg

Here is the original Richmond College campus that was located in downtown Richmond
http://www.curlesneck.com/richmondpics/education/Richmond%20College.jpg

catbob
October 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
On February 16, 1893, the Agricultural College of the State of Montana was founded as the state's land-grant college. Renamed The Montana College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, the institution was popularly known as Montana Agricultural College, or MAC. By the 1920s, the institution's preferred name was Montana State College and so it remained until July 1, 1965, when, in recognition of the enormous advances in the College's commitment to scientific and humanistic research, the thirty-ninth legislative assembly of the state of Montana changed MSC's name to Montana State University.

Go...gate
October 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Colgate is the 66th oldest college in the United States.

As an aside, I have often wondered why Delaware is not considered one of the "Colonial Colleges" because of its founding date. Dickinson College, for example, is considered a colonial college (1781) and had similar beginnings.

UAalum72
October 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Albany was founded in 1844 as the New York State Normal School, the fifth normal school in the US and the first outside Massachusetts. It became a four-year College FOR Teachers in 1914 (they emphasized not a teachers' college) and a University in 1962.

HIU 93
October 18th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I don't know how accurate this is, but it is intersting.

http://www.kipnotes.com/Colleges.htm

If you want to get ancient (as in the link), the world's oldest university is Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt. It was founded in 969 AD.

HIU 93
October 18th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Hampton University was founded in 1868.

GannonFan
October 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Colgate is the 66th oldest college in the United States.

As an aside, I have often wondered why Delaware is not considered one of the "Colonial Colleges" because of its founding date. Dickinson College, for example, is considered a colonial college (1781) and had similar beginnings.

What's a "Colonial College"? I've never heard that term before.