PDA

View Full Version : Towson's Terrance West Heads Up 2013 CSJ FCS All-America Squad

Mr. C
January 27th, 2014, 07:29 PM
College Sports Journal capped off the awards season for 2013 in FCS with the announcement of its 63-man All-America team, which also included a 42-man honorable mention squad for a total of 105 players honored. Check it out at the link below:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/803-terrance-west-heads-up-2013-csj-fcs-all-america-squad

WM2001
January 27th, 2014, 09:12 PM
He deserves it. One of the top 5 backs in Yankee/A10/CAA history.

smallcollegefbfan
January 27th, 2014, 09:22 PM
College Sports Journal capped off the awards season for 2013 in FCS with the announcement of its 63-man All-America team, which also included a 42-man honorable mention squad for a total of 105 players honored. Check it out at the link below:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/803-terrance-west-heads-up-2013-csj-fcs-all-america-squad

A great list as usual.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 27th, 2014, 09:28 PM
He deserves it. One of the top 5 backs in Yankee/A10/CAA history.

I had to rack my brain...Westbrook, West, Azumah and Shipp were the first names I thought of.....

smallcollegefbfan
January 28th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I had to rack my brain...Westbrook, West, Azumah and Shipp were the first names I thought of.....

One thing to remember is that West is declaring so he will have one year less. I would put him ahead of everyone except Westbrook. West is the 2nd best RB I have seen in the league behind only him to date. Shipp and Azumah were good but not quite West. To be honest, we don't know what West would have done next year. There's a shot he could have passed him or been worn down and had a year like Jerome Felton did as a senior.

Tribal
January 28th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I'm biased, of course, but Grimes was a top tier RB and better than most if you consider his all-purpose yards...Grimes caught a bunch of passes and his YAC was incredible. The best back I've seen in this conference is Brian Westbrook. West, while great, is limited to handoffs. Had Towson been in the Yankee Co at the time, you'd have to put Dave Meggett in the top 2 or 3.

Mr. C
January 29th, 2014, 03:26 AM
In my mind, West may be the best running back in the CAA since Brian Westbrook. Terrance has the ability to do some special things at the next level and it will be interesting to see how he develops. I'm looking for him to be a second-round pick unless something major changes.

Mr. C
January 29th, 2014, 03:33 AM
One thing to remember is that West is declaring so he will have one year less. I would put him ahead of everyone except Westbrook. West is the 2nd best RB I have seen in the league behind only him to date. Shipp and Azumah were good but not quite West. To be honest, we don't know what West would have done next year. There's a shot he could have passed him or been worn down and had a year like Jerome Felton did as a senior.
West doesn't have the injury history that Jerome Felton did and they are totally different styles of player and played different positions. Felton may be the best true fullback that I've seen in FCS in the past 20 years. West has a lot more speed than Felton, tremendous balance and vision and escapability. Both can break tackles with the best of them, but Felton just used to punish linebackers and safeties. I'll never forget him running over Corey Lynch, one of the surest-handed tacklers I've seen at the FCS level in the 2005 semifinals. I have a picture of that in my book, Magic on the Mountain (still plenty of copies available, FYI). Felton steamrolled Lynch.

Tribe4SF
January 29th, 2014, 07:52 AM

How did Mike Reilly not get mentioned on this team?

Cocky
January 29th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Demarcus James doesn't even make HM. This is a joke.

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I'm biased, of course, but Grimes was a top tier RB and better than most if you consider his all-purpose yards...Grimes caught a bunch of passes and his YAC was incredible. The best back I've seen in this conference is Brian Westbrook. West, while great, is limited to handoffs. Had Towson been in the Yankee Co at the time, you'd have to put Dave Meggett in the top 2 or 3.

Grimes was very good. They said RB so I left him out simply because I thought the others were a little better but if you add in all-purpose and not just rushing he certainly should be in the discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

West doesn't have the injury history that Jerome Felton did and they are totally different styles of player and played different positions. Felton may be the best true fullback that I've seen in FCS in the past 20 years. West has a lot more speed than Felton, tremendous balance and vision and escapability. Both can break tackles with the best of them, but Felton just used to punish linebackers and safeties. I'll never forget him running over Corey Lynch, one of the surest-handed tacklers I've seen at the FCS level in the 2005 semifinals. I have a picture of that in my book, Magic on the Mountain (still plenty of copies available, FYI). Felton steamrolled Lynch.

Exactly. We don't know if he would but past history would suggest he would not have the injury bug.

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Demarcus James doesn't even make HM. This is a joke.

He's a great player but two things. First is that nobody outside of JSU brought him up and who would you suggest dropping at RB for him? They are limited in terms of only 63 players and you have to get plenty at each position. I think James should be on the preseason lists for 2014 but hard to put him on if you only have 3-4 RBs on a list. The other schools would complain if their guy wasn't there and yours was.

FYI, I would rank James 7th among FCS tailbacks this year and with West gone my top two next year would be Zenner and James.

CSN-info
January 29th, 2014, 10:47 AM
He's a great player but two things. First is that nobody outside of JSU brought him up and who would you suggest dropping at RB for him? They are limited in terms of only 63 players and you have to get plenty at each position. I think James should be on the preseason lists for 2014 but hard to put him on if you only have 3-4 RBs on a list...

False.

COLLEGE SPORTING NEWS 2013 "FAB FIFTY" Runningbacks: (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?1043-College-Sporting-News-2013-Fabulous-Fifty-FCS-All-America-Team)

RB Terrance West, Towson
RB Zach Zenner, South Dakota State
RB DaMarcus James, Jacksonville State
RB Lorenzo Taliaferro, Coastal Carolina

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1209&d=1389806977&stc=1 (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?1044-The-College-Sporting-News-Major-Annual-Awards)

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
False.

COLLEGE SPORTING NEWS 2013 "FAB FIFTY" Runningbacks: (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?1043-College-Sporting-News-2013-Fabulous-Fifty-FCS-All-America-Team)

RB Terrance West, Towson
RB Zach Zenner, South Dakota State
RB DaMarcus James, Jacksonville State
RB Lorenzo Taliaferro, Coastal Carolina

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1209&d=1389806977&stc=1 (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?1044-The-College-Sporting-News-Major-Annual-Awards)

I was talking about other posters and you didn't bring this up until after I said that. Not to be mean but I did not read your list at all so I did not know you had him on there.

I'm not saying James isn't good and he's a top 6-8 RB for sure but nobody else had brought him up and as usual it's simple math. When you move a man up a man goes down. If James is on the CSJ list, who should be removed in his place?

Seeing your RB list I have to question where Jerick McKinnon is. He lit up SEC power Florida and had 12 touchdowns despite missing several games due to injury and playing QB for part of the season. If McKinnon had been a RB all year long and not missed any games you could argue that he would have ran for over 1800 yards and 18 touchdowns, which would have made him a unanimous All-American. Any list that does not have McKinnon has to be questioned if he isn't in the top 4-5. When he was healthy he ran for 1800 yards and 20 TDs in 2012, despite not starting the year as the full-time starter as a junior.

Wallace
January 29th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Just saw this and laughed. This kid who is a member of the CSJ staff first congratulated himself on this thread for the list, then admitted he was completely oblivious of the top two FCS news organization's lists naming Demarcus James and then completely overlooked that College Sporting News named Jerick McKinnon to their FAB FIFTY team as All-Purpose back? gawd!

I was talking about other posters and you didn't bring this up until after I said that. Not to be mean but I did not read your list at all so I did not know you had him on there.

I'm not saying James isn't good and he's a top 6-8 RB for sure but nobody else had brought him up and as usual it's simple math. When you move a man up a man goes down. If James is on the CSJ list, who should be removed in his place?

Seeing your RB list I have to question where Jerick McKinnon is. He lit up SEC power Florida and had 12 touchdowns despite missing several games due to injury and playing QB for part of the season. If McKinnon had been a RB all year long and not missed any games you could argue that he would have ran for over 1800 yards and 18 touchdowns, which would have made him a unanimous All-American. Any list that does not have McKinnon has to be questioned if he isn't in the top 4-5. When he was healthy he ran for 1800 yards and 20 TDs in 2012, despite not starting the year as the full-time starter as a junior.

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Just saw this and laughed. This kid who is a member of the CSJ staff first congratulated himself on this thread for the list, then admitted he was completely oblivious of the top two FCS news organization's lists naming Demarcus James and then completely overlooked that College Sporting News named Jerick McKinnon to their FAB FIFTY team as All-Purpose back? gawd!

I didn't do the CSJ list at all. That was all Mr. C and Burton. That's great you had McKinnon listed as an all-purpose back but he didn't do anything else besides be a runner this year. I thought all-purpose was for guys who did multiple positions well and he was just a runner. Did not have kickoff or punt returns or receiving. I only saw the RB names that were posted in this thread. If you say you had him on your list somewhere else then that's good.

Sorry I have not had time to really go through and read all the All-America lists. I have been traveling to NFL functions and having to deal with a lot of projects for NFL teams. I'll go through and read the list and see who you maybe snubbed and see which picks you had that the AFCA and AP didn't have that were good ones by you guys.

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Just skimmed the CSN list and I like all the Player of the Year picks. Bellamy is overrated as a center. He's a good player but I would not put him in the top 3 centers. Riddick should have been on the Fab 50. I'm not big on Elkins at all. I think Seibert and Ashton Miller were definitely better and snubs. Overall though it's a pretty good list. I hate not seeing Bryan Bennett on these lists because I think he will do even better next year and was one of the hottest quarterbacks in the nation in the last half of the season.

One area where I will say that I think you missed and I'd like to hear why you put Dan Light over Jacobs of McNeese and Perillo of Maine. Perillo had a great year as did Jacobs. I saw a ton of Patriot League film and just thought Light was a system guy and second tier tight end in the group right behind Pruitt, LePak, Perillo, Jacobs, and Robustelli.

I'm also curious why everyone has not put Harvard's Tyler Ott on their list. He consistently had the best times of any snapper I saw in FCS this year and there's a reason why the Senior Bowl picked him. NFL is looking for the same thing in a long snapper that makes a great college snapper- quick release, fast times, consistency, no high or low snaps that the punter can't catch, and the ability to go cover punts. He is very good in all phases of that.

Just a few disagreements and everyone will have those.

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Question for all media outlets. Why is Lavelle Westbrooks getting snubbed? When picking these teams it's about who the best players are and I really thought he was one of the best corners in the country over the last half of the season. He stepped his game up big time from the middle of the season to the end. Most teams did not test him but one I was surprised did was Western Carolina and I believe he had two in that game. This list is not about NFL at all but he had a Senior Bowl invite, NFL Combine invite, and should be a mid round pick because of what he did this year. Just to show how good he was as a senior he was not on any NFL watch lists entering the year and was not getting any looks. He went from nowhere on the radar to being considered a top 3 corner in FCS by NFL teams and those coaches I talked to raved about him.

LoneStar
January 29th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Dave was a one of the best players to ever wear the black and gold, however, Terrance was on another level and it's not really close. Terrance was a pleasure to watch for the past three years, talk about entertainment value. Fifteen dollars to watch one of the best players to ever play at the FCS level, when Baltimore looks back five years from now it's possible a lot of people may realize they missed out on some greatness in their own backyard.

ngineer
January 31st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Lehigh's QB Brandon Bialkowski should have had an honorable mention. The guy was tremendous this year among the nation's top QB's until he broke is collarbone.

smallcollegefbfan
January 31st, 2014, 07:26 PM
Lehigh's QB Brandon Bialkowski should have had an honorable mention. The guy was tremendous this year among the nation's top QB's until he broke is collarbone.

I kind of agree with leaving him off simply because I didn't think he was a top 5 QB in the nation and he missed a good bit of time. I really think Michael Cole is one of the top 5 DEs in FCS but he hasn't been able to stay healthy enough to put up the numbers an All-American DE has to. He's one of the very few guys who has missed a lot of time that I would seriously still consider just because he was so dominant and even then I left him off my list. Don't blame CSJ for leaving him off but he certainly is a good QB.