PDA

View Full Version : Cool read concerning FCS Playoff #'s

IBleedYellow
January 23rd, 2014, 10:53 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1vz75a/a_perspective_on_the_college_football_playoffs/

Champions:
Average rank: 4.36
Highest ranked: 1
Lowest ranked: 13
Mode: 1
25%ile: 1.75
Median Ranking: 3
75%ile: 7
95%ile: 10

More info at the link.

AmsterBison
January 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Their analysis flawed though because they only consider one year. This year's playoff results will affect next year's poll rankings.

superman7515
January 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Their analysis flawed though because they only consider one year. This year's playoff results will affect next year's poll rankings.

I would say a couple of huge flaws are how can they be comparing every year of the FCS/I-AA football utilizing the Sporting News rankings for the teams pre-2001 when TSN didn't start a I-AA poll until 1996? They'd be leaving out 18 years of the playoffs. They then said they utilized playoff seeding post-2001 for their analysis, but the NCAA doesn't seed every team, so that's impractical. Tits on a boar hog.

Here are the yearly champions, runners-up, and semifinalists for every year of FCS (1-AA) football. The final finish of each team moves from left to right, with the far left being that year's champion. After each team is their final Sporting News poll ranking (pre-2001) or playoff seeding (2001-present).