PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: KC Keeler Named Head Coach at Sam Houston State

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Just broke...

http://katfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=10983.0

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 23rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Now to get to work finding that game-changing transfer QB. Maybe Vad Lee is still looking for an FCS school. :)

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2014, 09:57 AM
K. C. Keeler has been named as Sam Houston State’s 15th head football coach.

He brings an overall record of 174 victories, 73 losses and one tie as a head coach to Huntsville.

“This is a tremendously exciting opportunity for me and my family,” Keeler said. “We’re coming to an institution that not only has enjoyed outstanding football success recently but also is growing as an academic institution.”

Keeler’s 2003 Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens squad won the FCS national championship in 2003. Delaware reached the FCS Championship Game in 2007 and 2010.

“One of the things that jumps out at you first is Coach Keeler’s record at the FCS level. Not only has he won a national championship but he has returned to the championship game two other times,” Sam Houston Director of Athletics Bobby Williams said. “He has a track record of building a program and then continuing that success.”

In his 11 seasons at Delaware (2002 to 2012), the Blue Hens rolled up an 86-52 record. Delaware went 11-3 in the program’s four trips to the FCS playoffs.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209384164&DB_OEM_ID=19900

Sammy94
January 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM
He was the best option of the remaining four canidates. I like it.

superman7515
January 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Congrats Coach Keeler.

Sir William
January 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Good hire. Congrats to Sam Houston and to the Keelers.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 23rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Katfans seems to love it. :D

Mr. C
January 23rd, 2014, 10:47 AM
I think that Sam Houston State got the better of the deal here. I like K.C. Keeler as a fit there. I think you will see growth in him as a coach and I remain unsure about how well Willie Fritz really fits at Georgia Southern. I think K.C. is a better coach than Fritz and that this might give the Bearkats more stability. I wonder what Ron Randelman thinks of the move?

On the subject of transfer QBs, SHSU has a pretty good track record with that. We don't have something called the Dustin Long rule in college football for no reason.

The only downside to all of this is that it will likely have some negative on recruriting this season. Two weeks isn't much time to get things done in that arena.

MR. CHICKEN
January 23rd, 2014, 10:53 AM
18799......PACK UP...DUH MAYFLOWER JANICE.......WE GONNAH...GET UH LITTLE HOUSE...ON DUH PRAIRIE......xcoolx.....DOODLE-DOO!/BRAWK!/AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
January 23rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
18800.......CIRCLE DUH WAGONS....LIONS/COWBOYS/BEARS......DEY'RE'S....UH NEW KID....IN TOWN....xcoolx...AWK!

bluehenbillk
January 23rd, 2014, 11:47 AM
With signing day like 2-3 weeks from now look for KC to bring in Big 12 & SEC transfers to Huntsville.

fmrbearkat
January 23rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Does this mean caribbean is going to be rooting for the Bearkats now?? Maybe not against the Hens but you know deep down inside you will smile when you see a W by the Bearkats. Heck pretyy soon you might even have little Bearkat orange hanging in the cedar lined closet on that blow boat of yours.

All kidding aside I told my dad long before any names were mentioned that Keeler was my choice. The more I researched MT the more I like him as well. I think either way would have been great for us but I really like the hire!

Texas
January 23rd, 2014, 12:28 PM
Not a fan of this hire, we our ready had our KC Keeler and he was named Ron Randleman. MT was old but he is a consistent winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmrbearkat
January 23rd, 2014, 12:33 PM
Not a fan of this hire, we our ready had our KC Keeler and he was named Ron Randleman. MT was old but he is a consistent winner.

How exactly are you comparing Keeler to Randleman??

Texas
January 23rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Making the playoffs every 3 years with mediocre to bad years in between and heavy reliant on transfers to make those play off runs.

henfan
January 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
Come on. Randleman never won squat as a head coach and couldn't hold Keeler's jock. Mel would have a been a good choice but he had such a big downside with his age. Keeler was the right choice.

The SHSU admin might not realize that KC is going to be pushing for them to upgrade THEIR game once he gets his feet wet in Huntsville.

Good luck 'Kats.

Sammy94
January 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
The SHSU admin might not realize that KC is going to be pushing for them to upgrade THEIR game once he gets his feet wet in Huntsville.

That is what is needed around here.

SpeedkingATL
January 23rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Looks like a very solid hire. Congrats to Keeler and the Kats!! Get out the transfer documents, quick!

The Ville
January 23rd, 2014, 01:30 PM
I think a solid hire for SHSU, especially out of who was listed as finalists.

- - - Updated - - -

The Ville
January 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Now to get to work finding that game-changing transfer QB. Maybe Vad Lee is still looking for an FCS school. :)

Lee went with James Madison a few weeks ago.

McNeese75
January 23rd, 2014, 01:45 PM
18800.......CIRCLE DUH WAGONS....LIONS/COWBOYS/BEARS......DEY'RE'S....UH NEW KID....IN TOWN....xcoolx...AWK!

OH yeah, we are all scared now of those awesome sunglasses xcoffeex

katstrapper
January 23rd, 2014, 01:48 PM
That is what is needed around here.

Probably one reason BW didnt want Keeler is because he will be in BW ear!! The Univ president Dr Dana Gibson over ruled ultimately. Sounds like there is some power struggle . I dont think Gibson was happy that the AD let Fritz get away. This will be interesting.
Keeler wasnt my first choice, but i understand the move.

katstrapper
January 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
Lee went with James Madison a few weeks ago.

Kats have three, very promising QB's on roster right now , with one commited from Houston area. He isnt coming into a bare cupboard by any means.

Texas
January 23rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Probably one reason BW didnt want Keeler is because he will be in BW ear!! The Univ president Dr Dana Gibson over ruled ultimately. Sounds like there is some power struggle . I dont think Gibson was happy that the AD let Fritz get away. This will be interesting.
Keeler wasnt my first choice, but i understand the move.

Power struggle is nonexistent. Football scoop is trying to protect their credibility. Their source was our forums and someone spotting MT eating with Bobby Williams at a restaurant.

MR. CHICKEN
January 23rd, 2014, 02:00 PM
18802.....$$$,$$$.00........LET'S GET TA DUH DUCATS.....HOW MUCH/HOW LONG...INQUIRIN' MINDS...YA KNOW.....xcoolx...AWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
January 23rd, 2014, 02:01 PM
Congrats SHSU and Coach Keeler.

MR. CHICKEN
January 23rd, 2014, 02:12 PM
xcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxc oolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoo lxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolx xcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxc oolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoo lxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolx xcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxc oolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoo lxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolx xcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolxxc oolxxcoolxxcoolxxcoolx

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/woodlands/sports/college-football-keeler-named-head-coach-at-sam-houston-state/article_8bbf5326-845e-11e3-bad9-0019bb2963f4.html

“Becoming part of the Southland Conference and coming to Texas also is an exciting opportunity,” Keeler said. “To know that within a three-and-a-half hour radius of my front door step is enough talent to win a national championship is tremendous. My wife and I are headed to Huntsville and are ready to hit the ground running with recruiting.”

caribbeanhen
January 23rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Does this mean caribbean is going to be rooting for the Bearkats now?? Maybe not against the Hens but you know deep down inside you will smile when you see a W by the Bearkats. Heck pretyy soon you might even have little Bearkat orange hanging in the cedar lined closet on that blow boat of yours.

All kidding aside I told my dad long before any names were mentioned that Keeler was my choice. The more I researched MT the more I like him as well. I think either way would have been great for us but I really like the hire!

I might just be able to warm up a bit to the Kats now, I'll make a prediction as well, your kats msg board will see plenty of KC talk in the coming years, the guy has been a lighting Rod on Gohens for a long time now. I always liked KC the public guy, he's a charmer. Without the right QB, his offense could be a snoozer, be interesting to see what he does down in Huntsville, I did like Sammy's creativity on offense in the few games I did see.

caribbeanhen
January 23rd, 2014, 04:01 PM
BTW, Delaware has an open date on Sep 20th, who is Sammy playing?

fmrbearkat
January 23rd, 2014, 04:26 PM

SAM HOUSTON STATE
9-6... at LSU
9-13... at Eastern Washington
10-25... ABILENE CHRISTIAN
11-1... vs. Stephen F. Austin (Reliant Stadium)
11-14... at Houston Baptist
11-22... CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Alot of shaking up going on with conference schedules adding the new schools. This is all I think we know of as of now. 20th would be a nice warm trip to Texas for the Hens! Come on down!!

caribbeanhen
January 23rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
9-6... at LSU

Alot of shaking up going on with conference schedules adding the new schools. This is all I think we know of as of now. 20th would be a nice warm trip to Texas for the Hens! Come on down!!

if that game were to happen, it would be in Newark I would think..... KC would want it that way anyway

Danco
January 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Sam Houston, congratulations on your hire. Glad the drama is behind you, so your team can focus on Spring Drills.

WM2001
January 23rd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Keeler is a great leader of student-athletes. This is a good fit for Keeler because SHSU is about as polar opposite from Delaware as you can get and this marks the drastic change he needs. SHSU gets a winner who graduates players and sets a good example for the school. He is good at luring FBS players and Texas is a fine place to find quality players who didn't quite have the goods to start at the top schools in the state. Great hire.

Red & Black
January 23rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
As if EWU fans needed another reason to dislike Sam Houston. ;)

henfan
January 23rd, 2014, 08:43 PM

You really think Ziady wants any part of that? Ha!

fmrbearkat
January 23rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
if that game were to happen, it would be in Newark I would think..... KC would want it that way anyway

With one trip to Cheney and another to LSU (close to home but still) we wouldn't make a 1500 mile trek to Delaware. Would have to be here with a return next year.

- - - Updated - - -

With one trip to Cheney and another to LSU (close to home but still) we wouldn't make a 1500 mile trek to Delaware. Would have to be here with a return next year.

FYI we don't back out of return trips like some teams are famous for!

Fear the Bird
January 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM
As if EWU fans needed another reason to dislike Sam Houston. ;)

Shouldnt you love KC for that gift he wrapped you?

ngineer
January 23rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Uh oh, Kats starting to look "shady"....(;-). Good luck!

CFBfan
January 24th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Keeler is a great leader of student-athletes. This is a good fit for Keeler because SHSU is about as polar opposite from Delaware as you can get and this marks the drastic change he needs. SHSU gets a winner who graduates players and sets a good example for the school. He is good at luring FBS players and Texas is a fine place to find quality players who didn't quite have the goods to start at the top schools in the state. Great hire.

+1

katstrapper
January 24th, 2014, 08:54 AM

There are plenty of big time players within a 2-3 hour radius of Huntsville. Should be interesting to see what types of players he will bring in.

superman7515
January 24th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Shouldnt you love the NCAA for that gift they wrapped you?

FTFY

YoUDeeMan
January 24th, 2014, 09:32 AM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
9-6... at LSU

Our AD, Z-daddy, would ***** his pants if that game is ever forced upon him. Z's buddy Brock had better fire our worthless DC Weaver or the Hens will continue setting records for defen-sieve futility.

superman7515
January 24th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Neutral site, we'll play the game in sunny Orlando, haha.

Sam Houston State Bearkats vs elaware Fightin' Blue Hens

MR. CHICKEN
January 24th, 2014, 09:42 AM
18804.......THERE'D BE FEATHERAHS.....EVERAH-WARE......:o......AWK!

McNeese75
January 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM
18804.......THERE'D BE FEATHERAHS.....EVERAH-WARE......:o......AWK!

and about 50 fans in orange there.

CFBfan
January 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Look for KC to take his former LB coach from UDel Brad Sherrod now at Elon after he was ousted with KC from Del

TheRevSFA
January 24th, 2014, 02:06 PM
So now Sam and SLU can battle over who gets the most transfers

fmrbearkat
January 24th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Look for KC to take his former LB coach from UDel Brad Sherrod now at Elon after he was ousted with KC from Del

Any idea who he would want for coordinators?

caribbeanhen
January 24th, 2014, 03:34 PM
and about 50 fans in orange there.

Some of KC's new fans spotted at the Huntsville airport awaiting the arrival of the new coach

Red & Black
January 24th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Shouldnt you love KC for that gift he wrapped you?

Good point.

superman7515
January 24th, 2014, 10:14 PM

Some of KC's new fans spotted at the Huntsville airport awaiting the arrival of the new coach

Come on man, that movie was pretty funny. Especially coming from slower lower Delaware, where Hee Haw was a documentary.

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2014, 07:53 AM
xcoolxCongrats to KC!

caribbeanhen
January 25th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Come on man, that movie was pretty funny. Especially coming from slower lower Delaware, where Hee Haw was a documentary.

Yea, I saw the movie.... some people looked very familiar to me haha

Sammy94
January 25th, 2014, 08:18 AM
So now Sam and SLU can battle over who gets the most transfers

Just because KC used transfers in the talented rich state of Delaware doesn't necessarily mean he will rely on that in Texas.

AshevilleApp2
January 25th, 2014, 08:19 AM

xlolxxlolx

xbowx

MR. CHICKEN
January 25th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Just because KC used transfers in the talented rich state of Delaware doesn't necessarily mean he will rely on that in Texas.

18809.......C'MON SAMMY..WE'RE ON YER SIDE........xnodx......BRAWK!

Sammy94
January 25th, 2014, 09:14 AM
It's not battle anyway. Roberts might be the best transfer coach in the nation. 2014 Southeastern Louisiana Football Midyear Additions
Jordan Batiste – DB – 5-8 – 169 – Gramercy, La. (Tulane/Lutcher HS)
Chris Briggs – WR – 6-5 – 214 – Franklinton, La. (Southern Miss/Franklinton HS)
Micah Eugene – DB – 5-11 – 188 – Lafayette, La. (LSU/Acadiana HS)
Herbert Harris – LB – 6-1 – 230 – Clinton, Miss. (Hinds CC/Clinton HS)*
Philanteus "PJ" Jarrett – DL – 6-3 – 280 – Hollandale, Miss. (Copiah-Lincoln JC/Hollandale Simmons HS)*
D'Shaie Landor – QB – 6-0 – 187 – Lafayette, La. (Louisiana-Lafayette/Teurlings Catholic HS)
Derrick Raymond – DB – 6-1 – 175 – New Orleans, La. (LSU/East Jefferson HS)
Aaron Reed – OL – 6-4 – 312 – El Paso, Texas (Southern Miss/Chapin HS)
Jerqwinick Sandolph – DB – 6-1 – 201 – Boutte, La. (LSU/Hahnville HS)
Byron Smith – OL – 6-8 – 260 – Ontario, Calif. (Citrus College/Colony HS)*
Terrious Triplett – DB – 6-2 – 197 – Memphis, Tenn. (Holmes CC/Ridgeway HS)*

Nickels
January 26th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Sam Houston State: A source tells CoachingSearch that Slippery Rock offensive coordinator Phil Longo has accepted the same position at Sam Houston State. CoachingSearch first reported Friday that Longo could be joining the staff. - coachingsearch.com http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Nickels
January 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM
SR put up big numbers last year. Anyone know much about him?

http://www.rockathletics.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2013

536.5 ypg
6.3 per play
43 ppg

bluehenbillk
January 26th, 2014, 06:42 PM
"Air Raid" offense - he comes highly regarded.

slycat
January 27th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Interesting hire. Seems like a good choice. Good luck SHSU.