PDA

View Full Version : Southland Plays of the Week

blackfordpu
October 16th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Aeropostale Football Players of the Week Picked
Sam Houston State, Texas State and McNeese State garner awards.

Oct. 16, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - Sam Houston State's D.D. Terry rushed for a conference-high 176 yards in a win over Nicholls State on his way to being voted the Southland Conference Player of the Week on offense on Monday. Texas State's Walter Musgrove, the SLC's defensive player of the week, picked off two passes in a Bobcat win. Meanwhile, McNeese State's Steven Whitehead earned his second special teams honor of the year. Whitehead was also named national special teams player of the week by The Sports Network after recording 249 all-purpose yards in the loss to Texas State.

OFFENSE

D. D. TERRY, Sam Houston State, Sr., RB, Willis, Texas -- Terry rushed 30 times for 176 yards and three touchdowns in a 37-7 victory over Nicholls State. He helped the Bearkats to a 2-0 start in league play as he had scoring runs of 3, 1, and 36 yards. The 176 yards is the most by a Bearkat running back since 1993 when Charles Harris gained 215 against North Texas. It's the second week in a row and third time this season a Bearkat has taken the SLC's offensive award.

Honorable Mention: Bradley George, TXST; Bradd Schlosser, SLU.

DEFENSE

WALTER MUSGROVE, Texas State, Sr., DB, Sr., Duncanville, Texas -- Musgrove registered two interceptions to go along with five tackles in the Bobcats' 27-17 win at McNeese State. The first interception was a pick in the end zone off a pass by a McNeese receiver. The second pick with 1:05 to play in the game helped secure the win. Musgrove now has three interceptions in the past two weeks and his .67 interceptions per-game average leads the SLC and ranks fifth in Division I-AA.

Honorable Mention: Chadd Oliphant, SHSU.

SPECIAL TEAMS

STEVEN WHITEHEAD, McNeese State, Jr., KR, Slidell, La. -- Whitehead returned four punts for 105 yards, averaging 26.2 yards per return with a long of 48 yards. He also returned four kickoffs for 123 yards, an average of 30.7 yards per return with a long of 60 yards Whitehead had a career high in all-purpose yardage at 249 in the loss to Texas State. This marks the third week in a row for a McNeese player to be named special teams recipient and the second time this year for Whitehead. He is also The Sports Network's pick for national player of the week.

Honorable Mention: Derrick Harris, SHSU; Andrew Ireland, TXST.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101606aaa.html

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Plays of the Week?

Blackfordpu, I thought you had a Pat video that I didn't know about!

Nice to see DD Terry getting some love. :)

GeauxLions94
October 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Aeropostale Football Players of the Week Picked
Sam Houston State, Texas State and McNeese State garner awards.

Oct. 16, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - Sam Houston State's D.D. Terry rushed for a conference-high 176 yards in a win over Nicholls State on his way to being voted the Southland Conference Player of the Week on offense on Monday. Texas State's Walter Musgrove, the SLC's defensive player of the week, picked off two passes in a Bobcat win. Meanwhile, McNeese State's Steven Whitehead earned his second special teams honor of the year. Whitehead was also named national special teams player of the week by The Sports Network after recording 249 all-purpose yards in the loss to Texas State.

OFFENSE

D. D. TERRY, Sam Houston State, Sr., RB, Willis, Texas -- Terry rushed 30 times for 176 yards and three touchdowns in a 37-7 victory over Nicholls State. He helped the Bearkats to a 2-0 start in league play as he had scoring runs of 3, 1, and 36 yards. The 176 yards is the most by a Bearkat running back since 1993 when Charles Harris gained 215 against North Texas. It's the second week in a row and third time this season a Bearkat has taken the SLC's offensive award.

Honorable Mention: Bradley George, TXST; Bradd Schlosser, SLU.

DEFENSE

WALTER MUSGROVE, Texas State, Sr., DB, Sr., Duncanville, Texas -- Musgrove registered two interceptions to go along with five tackles in the Bobcats' 27-17 win at McNeese State. The first interception was a pick in the end zone off a pass by a McNeese receiver. The second pick with 1:05 to play in the game helped secure the win. Musgrove now has three interceptions in the past two weeks and his .67 interceptions per-game average leads the SLC and ranks fifth in Division I-AA.

Honorable Mention: Chadd Oliphant, SHSU.

SPECIAL TEAMS

STEVEN WHITEHEAD, McNeese State, Jr., KR, Slidell, La. -- Whitehead returned four punts for 105 yards, averaging 26.2 yards per return with a long of 48 yards. He also returned four kickoffs for 123 yards, an average of 30.7 yards per return with a long of 60 yards Whitehead had a career high in all-purpose yardage at 249 in the loss to Texas State. This marks the third week in a row for a McNeese player to be named special teams recipient and the second time this year for Whitehead. He is also The Sports Network's pick for national player of the week.

Honorable Mention: Derrick Harris, SHSU; Andrew Ireland, TXST.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101606aaa.html

Sorry, had to do it. Not a bad job by the true freshman in his first start.

blackfordpu
October 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Plays of the Week?

Blackfordpu, I thought you had a Pat video that I didn't know about!

Nice to see DD Terry getting some love. :)

Sorry, forgot the "er" in that word.:)

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I watched a good deal of the game, but from the perspective of the SLC fans, did McNeese play bad, or is Texas St good?

slycat
October 17th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I watched a good deal of the game, but from the perspective of the SLC fans, did McNeese play bad, or is Texas St good?

i think it was both. the 6 turnovers killed mcneese but texas state only got 3 points off the turnovers keeping mcneese in the game. i was very impressed with our oline.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:32 AM
the TX St QB looked pretty good in the parts of the game that I saw.

Lionsrking
October 17th, 2006, 12:58 AM

I taped the game because we play Texas State this Saturday and McNeese in three weeks. I had picked the Bobcats to win by a couple of TDs and wasn't too far off. McNeese has problems up front on defense and the QB position has really struggled in the two games I've seen them play. They still hung around and had some chances but the turnovers killed them. Texas State isn't nearly as good as last year but I like their QB and he gives them big play capability with his arm. I've now seen everybody in the SLC play, either in person or on TV, and I'm thoroughly convinced that it's a coin flip to pick a winner each Saturday night. We all have talent but are either young or inexperienced at key positions and it's just a matter of which team shows up and which team doesn't. Sam Houston has the early edge with a 2-0 start but they've benefited by opponents' mistakes and I think it's a matter of time before they get bit.

kats89
October 17th, 2006, 03:07 AM
the TX St QB looked pretty good in the parts of the game that I saw.

Watch Thursday night UCA vs SHSU. Take a good look at our OL and our RB DD Terry. His speed will amaze.

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Watch Thursday night UCA vs SHSU. Take a good look at our OL and our RB DD Terry. His speed will amaze.

UCA is a solid, testy, football team that is doing pretty well in this worst year of transition. They do have the talent to win.

Sam Houston is shaping up to be the best team in the SLC this year. :bow: This game is a needed win for the BearKats, need that best game.:thumbsup:

Bobcat94
October 17th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Whitehead is very good. Donte Hall anyone?

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Whitehead is very good. Donte Hall anyone?

Thats a pretty bold comparison.

McNeese75
October 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Thats a pretty bold comparison.

You will get a chance to see for yourself in a couple weeks :)

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I really hope I don't. :)

Bobcat94
October 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I really hope I don't. :)

Dude has wheels... Trap him against the sideline or you will be running ragged chasing him around the field.

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Dude has wheels... Trap him against the sideline or you will be running ragged chasing him around the field.

I believe you but I still don't want to see it.

BEAR
October 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
UCA is a solid, testy, football team that is doing pretty well in this worst year of transition. They do have the talent to win.

Sam Houston is shaping up to be the best team in the SLC this year. :bow: This game is a needed win for the BearKats, need that best game.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment considering we have played like **** the last few weeks. Very uncharacteristic for us and to most UCA fans..just plain unbelievable. I agree with you on the statement..."the worst year of transition". It is hard enough to get good talent out of arkansas to start with, but tell them all they get is the season, no playoffs, no bowl games(not like I-AA plays those anyway)and....well, you get the picture..:rolleyes: That is why I am glad coach Conque is from "Weezy-anna" He can recruit from Texas and "Weezy" and still get the best talent out of Arkansas to top it off! :hurray: It will be exciting after this dreaded 4 year transition. Sorry about making this post about something other than the topic..it's just that you surprised me with those words! xlolx

Lionsrking
October 18th, 2006, 12:27 AM

I've seen them. I have a tape of your game with Northwestern State.

McNeese72
October 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM

I think it is only a matter of time before we see punts angled out of bounds and skied kickoffs to keep the ball away from him.

Doc

Bearkatpresident
October 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM
It's the second week in a row and third time this season a Bearkat has taken the SLC's offensive award.

See, what do I keep telling you?

Bearkats Kick Butt!