PDA

View Full Version : KC Keeler Thoughts from Blue Hen Fan Base?

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Just curious... wanted to see what the general reaction is to KC Keeler as it relates to being a head coach and potential head coach at Sam Houston State? If this means more MR CHICKEN interest in the SHSU football program, I think it would be the best decision to make... xthumbsupx

Anyhow, wanted to see what you Blue Hens thought and did not want it to get lost in the SHSU finalist thread.

Thanks fellas!

superman7515
January 20th, 2014, 08:42 PM
He played for the Hens and won a national championship. He coached the Hens and won a national championship. Too reliant on transfers? Too stuck in his ways? Both sides can make their arguments. I won't argue that he was as consistent as some would like, his highs were high and his lows were low, but he was never accused of not loving the Hens. So as for my personal interactions with him, I've never had a bad thing to say about him, and he's welcome at my table any night.

MR. CHICKEN
January 20th, 2014, 10:05 PM
18788.......CLIPPED DIS LINK..FROM GO HENS BOARD........GIVES SOME INSIGHT.......THOUGHT HE GOT UH SHORT STRAW.....WHEN FIRED.....3 NC APPEARANCES....2003/2007/2010.....PRETTY MUCH WHIFF DIFFERENT ROSTERS.....AH LIKED HIM.....PRESSED DUH ADMIN FO' UPGRADES...WAS LOSIN' RECRUITS TA MADISON/WM & MARY....WHO SPENT BOKU DUCATS ON FACILITIES/BRASH PERSONALITY/PLENTY O' THEORIES...AS TA HIS DELAWARE DEMISE.....IFIN' HE GETS TA PLAYOFFS...HE KNOWS HOW TA WIN....HE LANDS IN TEXAS...AH'LL BE ROOTIN'......AWK!

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/catching_up_with_former_emmaus.html

danefan
January 21st, 2014, 07:16 AM
Bob Ford had a couple of thinly veiled digs at Keeler after Gattuso was hired at Albany. Keeler was one of 4 finalists for the Albany job.

McElroy and UAlbany president Robert Jones (http://www.timesunion.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Robert+Jones%22) decided to go outside the "Purple Family," as UAlbany football calls itself, to hire someone with no connection to the program. New Haven head coach Peter Rossomando (http://www.timesunion.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Peter+Rossomando%22), who is a former UAlbany offensive coordinator, and current Great Danes associate head coach Ryan McCarthy (http://www.timesunion.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Ryan+McCarthy%22) were also considered for the opening."You can become a little stagnated if you just have in-house guys all the time," Ford said. "I think (Gattuso) brings fresh ideas. I would have been very happy with any of those guys. The thing was, I didn't want somebody that wasn't going to work. I didn't want somebody who didn't put the kids first."
UAlbany also interviewed Delaware coach K.C. Keeler (http://www.timesunion.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22K.C.+Keeler%22), who guided the Blue Hens to three FCS national title games but was fired after the 2012 season.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-selects-Ford-s-successor-5049709.php

bluehenbillk
January 21st, 2014, 08:30 AM
I disagree that Keeler didn't put the kids first. The team KC inherited from Tubby Raymond in 2002 was a sub-.500 team, with no QB among its many holes. KC immediately came in & diagnosed where they were good enough & where they weren't and made changes. He's not a sugar coater - he is a straight shooter, for some it comes off as too brash but it did energize the fanbase in Delaware. There is no doubt in my mind that the decisions that he made he made in the best interests of forwarding his program & the kids in it.

KC isn't a big X and O guy, more of a CEO or game manager guy - he was as effective as anyone in the country in getting transfers to come to UD - very good sales pitch he has. When he got to to the postseason he seemed to always have his teams on a roll - ask the UNI guys that wandered into the path of his teams in the postseason on that.

SHSU would do well hiring KC in my opinion, plenty of upside. The unknown is how being off the sideline has helped him in the past year. He's worked at NFL Films since then eating, sleeping & breathing football - his personality & demeanor would probably play well in Texas.

henfan
January 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM
I'd agree with much of what Superman posted previously.

The fact that KCK had delivered sub-par results during his two most recent seasons was all of the justification needed for a new AD, with no prior connection to UD, to fire him. It's no secret that Keeler continued to be a thorn in the administration's side, continually lobbying for FB facility upgrades. It became an easy decision to replace him with a guy and friend of the AD who would toe the line.

I'll offer my perceptions on KCK's weaknesses. As good of a salesman as he was of the university & FB program, I don't think that he was a fantastic evaluator of talent on the recruiting trail. He was able to make up for some of that by landing quality FBS transfers but not always. Another issue concerned the inflexibility and lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball. Since this trait seemed to carry across a couple of OC's, responsibility rests with KCK.

Keeler brought a much-needed excitement to UD FB in 2002 and delivered a NC and two other title appearances. KC ran a clean program and delivered some of the most exciting moments in UD FB history. Considering that his predecessors were three College Football Hall of Fame coaches, that's saying something. In my conversations with him over the years, he was always very friendly, candid and honest. He's a good and decent man, who truly loved UD. He'd be at the top of the list of coaches I'd hire if I was trying to produce quality young men and win championships.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree that Keeler didn't put the kids first.

Consider the source.

SpeedkingATL
January 21st, 2014, 09:21 AM
Keeler has a very strong resume as an FCS head coach. Surprised he hasn't landed somewhere yet. Certainly is worth a long look for any FCS program with playoff aspirations. My limited observation was that he was very much a straight shooter and no excuses type of guy; the kind of guy that I could play for.

henfan
January 21st, 2014, 09:38 AM
Keeler wasn't the first coach to get shxtcanned by a school for not seeing eye-to-eye with administrators and he won't be the last.

McNeese75
January 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM
With the apparent issues Fritz had with the SHSU Admin (regarding vision, etc) not sure Keeler is going to be a smooth fit.

But he will look cool in those sunglasses on the sidelines at 2:00 hottern hell games.

henfan
January 21st, 2014, 10:42 AM
If SHSU is looking for a coach who won't push the administration to support the FB program, KCK's probably not their guy. He'll dial up expectations from the get-go.

superman7515
January 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM
Bob Ford had a couple of thinly veiled digs at Keeler after Gattuso was hired at Albany. Keeler was one of 4 finalists for the Albany job.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-selects-Ford-s-successor-5049709.php

Interesting that people would equate that portion of the quote to being about Keeler. If so, Ford would be the first individual to ever accuse Keeler of putting himself before the kids he brought to Delaware. You certainly never heard that from any of them.

Texas
January 21st, 2014, 11:01 AM
If SHSU is looking for a coach who won't push the administration to support the FB program, KCK's probably not their guy. He'll dial up expectations from the get-go.

We need that. I'm not sure on KCK, but with what Fritz said after he moved to GSU maybe he can be that extra push to get their asses in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2014, 11:32 AM
18791.....INTERVIEWIN'...IS UH TWO WAY STREET.......IFIN' KC....DOESN'T HEAR FROM SAMMY'S ADMIN....WHAT HE WANTS TA HEAR......WELL.....HIS PLANE RIDE HOME'LL BE DELAYED...BAH EAST COAST SNOW......DOODLE-DOO!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2014, 11:39 AM
Keeler seems like a good candidate for the job. Having said that, he would be entering SHSU in the near-exact same way he did at Delaware: replacing a beloved coach which had significant success, and huge fan and admin expectation to surpass that success. Put it this way - does he want to coach again so badly that he'd be put in a similar situation?

Conversely, he could take over at, say, Northwestern State with zero expectations and build them from bad and mediocre to championship-caliber.

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2014, 11:44 AM
18794......KEELER'S UH MAN'S MAN.....NOT AFRAID O' ANYTHIN'.......'CEPT....DUH FAKE PUNT....AWK!

danefan
January 21st, 2014, 11:47 AM
Interesting that people would equate that portion of the quote to being about Keeler. If so, Ford would be the first individual to ever accuse Keeler of putting himself before the kids he brought to Delaware. You certainly never heard that from any of them.

That's me (and a few others that I've spoken to attributing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Regardless - there's a reason Keeler didn't get the Albany job.

Wallace
January 21st, 2014, 11:48 AM
18794......KEELER'S UH MAN'S MAN.....NOT AFRAID O' ANYTHIN'.......'CEPT....DUH FAKE PUNT....AWK!

Agreed. Knowing KC personally, this is the kind of situation he would relish

ngineer
January 21st, 2014, 04:14 PM
From what I've seen and read, Keeler would be a good fit at SHSU if given enough leash. Seemed like headbanging with admin. at UD was the main problem. Guy can recruit and has a brash personality that would fit in with the TX crowd, though I don't know if he looks good in a cowboy hat. In TX the shades can stay.

caribbeanhen
January 21st, 2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?151157-SHSU-HC-Finalist-Keeler-Tjeersdma-Wachenheim-Wyatt-amp&p=2088559#post2088559

the opinions given by Delaware fans in this thread are on the money IMHO.....

32counter
January 21st, 2014, 05:30 PM
New AD at Delaware wanted his own guy.New AD came from Boston College where replacement for KC knew each other.Attendance numbers fell off slightly over the last few years and new AD likely used as item for being let go.It was likely a good change for all parties concerned.

caribbeanhen
January 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM
New AD at Delaware wanted his own guy.New AD came from Boston College where replacement for KC knew each other.Attendance numbers fell off slightly over the last few years and new AD likely used as item for being let go.It was likely a good change for all parties concerned.

As the story goes it was the UD President Pat Harker who wanted KC out, apparently he held a grudge towards KC when it became apparent to him that UD got screwed over pretty hard by KC's agent when his contract was renewed, I certainly don't know if any of that is true. But pretty much all Blue Hens agree that Pat Harker hasn't done squat for the football program.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2014, 06:59 PM
As an outsider, I see the head coach of Delaware as being something more of a head coach - almost a public state representative, a role adopted by Tubby. I felt KC stepped into that aspect of the role well. He was a celebrity coach for the state of Delaware.

henfan
January 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM
That's me (and a few others that I've spoken to attributing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Regardless - there's a reason Keeler didn't get the Albany job.

I have my suspicions why someone supposedly close to UA insiders would float garbage like that. Hen fans watched Keeler coach for 11 years, attended practices and seen him in action with players off the field with players. To insinuate that KC didn't put his players above himself IS wrong, regardless of your second-hand impression.

danefan
January 21st, 2014, 09:26 PM
I have my suspicions why someone supposedly close to UA insiders would float garbage like that. Hen fans watched Keeler coach for 11 years, attended practices and seen him in action with players off the field with players. To insinuate that KC didn't put his players above himself IS wrong, regardless of your second-hand impression.

Interpret it how you want and I'll do the same.

And by the way, I never said I agreed or disagreed. I didn't play for him. Did you?

Again, like I said before, there's a reason Keeler didn't get the job at Albany. Must not have fit the bill.

henfan
January 22nd, 2014, 08:07 AM

And by the way, I never said I agreed or disagreed. I didn't play for him. Did you?

Again, like I said before, there's a reason Keeler didn't get the job at Albany. Must not have fit the bill.

I don't really care to interpret something an columnist or UA staffer said. Having been around KC enough over the course of 11 years at practices and public appearances, I think I've been able to develop an educated opinion on the topic. I don't have to have played for him to understand what the general consensus has been among the players with whom I've spoken and what I've seen with my own eyes.

Of course there's a reason Keeler didn't land the UA job but that's the topic of a different discussion. The Kat fan asked for Blue Hen fans thoughts about Keeler. I've got to wonder why a UA fan, who doesn't know Keeler at all, would want make a suggestion that he's doesn't put his players first? Weird.

Sammy94
January 22nd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Doesn't look like it matters much.

henfan
January 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Doesn't look like it matters much.

Hey, you got a good one anyway. Don't complain.;)

YoUDeeMan
January 23rd, 2014, 11:59 AM

Maybe Albany doesn't want to win football games and run a clean program.

henfan
January 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Maybe Albany doesn't want to win football games and run a clean program.

Or maybe Albany fan feels the need to create excuses & hedge bets to justify what very well may prove an uninspiring hire. Who cares?

Good luck to Keeler and the 'Kats.

State Line Liquors
January 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
I feel like it could be a great fit. I wish him well and will definitely be watching with interest. He'll have a strong recruiting base in Texas and be able to augment the program with transfers.

MR. CHICKEN
January 23rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
18801......HIDE YER DISGRUNTLED....BAYLOR/A&M/HORNS.......BRAWK!