PDA

View Full Version : Interesting statistical breakdown on geographical recruiting diversity....

Sader87
January 18th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Lot of Patriots and Ancient VIIIs in the top 10:

http://blog.modeanalytics.com/where-football-players-call-home/

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2014, 06:37 AM
This map probably correlates to admissions diversity as well, given these schools at the top recruit nationally for students as well.

National recruiting comes at a price, however, and that's why many of those teams listed at the top aren't consistently winning. A school that recruits regionally can maintain the contacts with the high school coaches, can follow player development, and maybe most importantly, can get coaches out to see the players without relying on sharply edited YouTube clips of their game to game performance. Add in the need to "fill the class" with high band prospects in the Ivy and Georgetown and you have the situation of signing players with little or no actual performance evaluation and it bears out when these kids arrive and never get on the field.

Bogus Megapardus
January 19th, 2014, 09:27 AM
" . . . schools that [are] likely to attract players for reasons beyond the football field."

Bogus Megapardus
January 19th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks, Sader87! Ah, the fun you can have with statistics. I now know that the most heavily recruited area for the Patriot League, per capita, is Monroe County, Ohio. For Ivy, the most heavily recruited area, per capita, is Hood County, Texas. The per capita recruiting center for Georgetown is Oconee County, Georgia; for Fordham, it's Barnwell County, South Carolina.

Bogus Megapardus
January 19th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Again looking at the per capita results for players' hometowns over the last four years, Lafayette focuses on Hamblen County, Tennessee while Lehigh looks to Worcester County, Maryland. Holy Cross has been honing in on Carteret County, North Carolina while Bucknell favors Monroe County, Ohio. Only Colgate prefers to stay closer to home in the PL, looking to Wyoming County, Pennsylvania for its recruits.

UAalum72
January 19th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Lot of Patriots and Ancient VIIIs in the top 10:

http://blog.modeanalytics.com/where-football-players-call-home/
Most schools in the Ivy/PL/NEC footprint probably have about ten states within 200 miles or so - having players from a lot of states doesn't necessarily mean you're recruiting over a wide area.

Bogus Megapardus
January 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Most schools in the Ivy/PL/NEC footprint probably have about ten states within 200 miles or so - having players from a lot of states doesn't necessarily mean you're recruiting over a wide area.

It's counties, not states, and the data are distributed both per capita and in raw figures.

For reasons that are not immediately apparent, Androscoggin County, Maine seems to have become a hotbed center of national recruiting. But Marengo County, Alabama looks like it's the epicenter of the college football recruiting world.

Herkimer County, New York and Grant County, Nebraska? Nada. Not a one. Bereft of all Division I talent. But what's really surprising is that most West Texas counties have produced no Division I football players over the last four years, either.

UAalum72
January 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
It's counties, not states, and the data are distributed both per capita and in raw figures.

Was responding to Sader's note that 7 of the top 10 were Ivy/PL in ranking "geographic diversity, based on how many states are represented on each team and how many players come from each state. For example, a team with 50 players from one state would have the lowest diversity score, while a state with one player from each of the 50 states would have the highest. "

Bogus Megapardus
January 19th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Was responding to Sader's note that 7 of the top 10 were Ivy/PL in ranking "geographic diversity, based on how many states are represented on each team and how many players come from each state. For example, a team with 50 players from one state would have the lowest diversity score, while a state with one player from each of the 50 states would have the highest. "

Sorry. I guess I didn't read that part. I was looking at the map and the data underlying it.

PaladinNation
January 19th, 2014, 12:16 PM
really great find… interesting to see how this relates to Furman past, present, and future. It will be interesting to see if Furman's football recruiting gets influenced by lacrosse in the future. Furman always recruits Atlanta, but Florida appears to be pretty fertile for the Paladins. Sadly in state recruiting… due to academics is still a struggle. Admissions always plays a big role for Furman.

Bogus Megapardus
January 19th, 2014, 12:32 PM
really great find… interesting to see how this relates to Furman past, present, and future. It will be interesting to see if Furman's football recruiting gets influenced by lacrosse in the future. Furman always recruits Atlanta, but Florida appears to be pretty fertile for the Paladins. Sadly in state recruiting… due to academics is still a struggle. Admissions always plays a big role for Furman.

If Furman is offering lacrosse scholarships, the players likely will come from Baltimore, New Jersey, Long Island, N.Y. and Western New York. That could open some new recruiting avenues for the Paladins in other sports.

PaladinNation
January 19th, 2014, 12:53 PM
If Furman is offering lacrosse scholarships, the players likely will come from Baltimore, New Jersey, Long Island, N.Y. and Western New York. That could open some new recruiting avenues for the Paladins in other sports.

I hope… from the press release of first roster for Coach Meade:

Greenville, S.C. – Furman men's lacrosse head coach Richie Meade announced today the team's inaugural roster in advance of the sport's first season of intercollegiate play, which begins at the end of January. The Paladins are a member of the Atlantic Sun conference for lacrosse and face a tough schedule in their first season.
The team is comprised of 48 freshman, four sophomores and three juniors. The Paladins hail from thirteen states, including the first Division I lacrosse player from the state of Hawaii. Meade added four U.S. Lacrosse High School All-Americans to the team, as well as a two-time NJCAA All-American, a two-time NSCAA National Champion and a Team USA U-19 National team member.

PaladinNation
January 19th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Man, this map is fun to play with.

Gwinnett County is #1 for Furman, followed by Fulton, Hillsborough, Cobb, Paulding, and Duvall.
No surprises there.

mmiller_34
January 19th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Interesting to look at how many different states (excluding Alaska or Hawaii) each conference represents:

Big Sky:34
Big South:27
CAA: 33
Ivy: 43
MEAC: 30
MVFC: 35
NEC: 26
OVC: 31
Patriot: 33
Pioneer: 39
Southern: 30
Southland: 23
SWAC: 31
Independents: 20

lionsrking2
January 19th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Not sure how accurate or complete this map is ... for example, we only have 22 players represented.

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2014, 06:30 PM

When it comes to eastern football, "most schools" doesn't usually include Georgetown.

Only 3% of Georgetown students are local--a remarkably low number for a Division I school in a majpr city. Virginia had 6 on the 2013 football roster, Maryland 4, DC none. That's only 10 of 100 players and it forces Georgetown to take more at-risk (athletically, not academically) recruits it has not seen in great detail (or, frankly, hasn't been offered by everyone else.). By contrast, Texas has 9 on the roster, California 8, and Florida 8, but only six each from New York and Pennsylvania.

Local kids that get all-Met honors generally either don't want to play at Georgetown and/or can't qualify per the Ivy...er, Patriot Index. I'm at a loss to recall any all-Met player that signed for Georgetown since the 1970's, and the last consensus all-stater in Maryland (Ben Hostetler, QB), ended up playing lacrosse after two years.

PAllen
January 20th, 2014, 09:21 AM
That map is also more than a bit misleading. It's basically a map of the density of football playing programs by county with little variation. Also, having the academies in such a list is a bit off as their admissions process requires a national distribution of recruits.

Bogus Megapardus
January 20th, 2014, 10:48 AM
That map is also more than a bit misleading. It's basically a map of the density of football playing programs by county with little variation. Also, having the academies in such a list is a bit off as their admissions process requires a national distribution of recruits.

It's still fun to play around with, though. You can see, for example, that W&M looks to its north for football players while Richmond looks to its south; Wofford focuses more on Florida while Furman focuses more on Georgia.

PaladinNation
January 20th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I guess what this map made me think about in more detail is the density of recruiting in certain counties. I wish I could map out Lamb's recruiting at Furman and then layer over the top Fowler's recruiting at Furman by county. Furman has always recruited players from small schools in small counties, and has had great success. Under Lamb (I'm guessing here) it appeared that Furman took a chance on these players more often than under Fowler.

Furman has a bullseye on Gwinnett and Cobb county in Atlanta, Charlotte, North Florida, and Tampa. The reason is pretty clear they play very good high school football in those counties, and they transfer to college pretty darn good. I think it might be interesting to map out the upcoming signees of 2014.

PAllen
January 20th, 2014, 12:37 PM
It's still fun to play around with, though. You can see, for example, that W&M looks to its north for football players while Richmond looks to its south; Wofford focuses more on Florida while Furman focuses more on Georgia.

Absolutely. Fun to play with in the offseason.

darell1976
January 20th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Funny how UND has 5 players and NDSU have 3 players from the same county in Arizona (the only county recruited by both in Arizona). UND has 15 players in the west and southwest, I think Bubba is going to do more recruiting in the Midwest than getting players from these areas.

Sandlapper Spike
January 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM

For reasons that are not immediately apparent, Androscoggin County, Maine seems to have become a hotbed center of national recruiting. But Marengo County, Alabama looks like it's the epicenter of the college football recruiting world.

Herkimer County, New York and Grant County, Nebraska? Nada. Not a one. Bereft of all Division I talent. But what's really surprising is that most West Texas counties have produced no Division I football players over the last four years, either.

I am dubious about Androscoggin County. I seriously doubt 38 D-1 players hail from a county in Maine that has fewer than 5,000 college-aged males.

I checked out Georgia Southern's roster, because GSU was supposed to have two players from that county, but didn't see them. That doesn't mean they weren't on the team when the season started, but I still think there is an error involved.

---

The county outside the SoCon geographic "footprint" with the most players in the league is Hillsborough County in Florida, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Richard Hageman, a redshirt junior long-snapper from Montana State, is from Garfield County, Montana, which I think is the least-populated county in the continental U.S. with a D-1 player (only 25 college-aged males). There are more T-Rex specimens than college football players in that county.

Franks Tanks
January 20th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I am dubious about Androscoggin County. I seriously doubt 38 D-1 players hail from a county in Maine that has fewer than 5,000 college-aged males.

I checked out Georgia Southern's roster, because GSU was supposed to have two players from that county, but didn't see them. That doesn't mean they weren't on the team when the season started, but I still think there is an error involved.

---

The county outside the SoCon geographic "footprint" with the most players in the league is Hillsborough County in Florida, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Richard Hageman, a redshirt junior long-snapper from Montana State, is from Garfield County, Montana, which I think is the least-populated county in the continental U.S. with a D-1 player (only 25 college-aged males). There are more T-Rex specimens than college football players in that county.

Perhaps there is a prep school in Maine where these players are attending?

I noticed one county in Nebraska, god knows which one, that had 19 college age males..amazing. I think LA county had the most at right around 500k.

Bogus Megapardus
January 20th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Even more interesting is the number of counties with several thousands of college aged males for which the map shows not a single DI player. For example Houghton County, Michigan supposedly has 5,277 college aged males but not a single DI recruit.

Sader87
January 20th, 2014, 10:18 PM

---

Probably a bunch from Hebron Academy....pretty good NE prep football school...I'm guessing a fair amount at PL, Ivy, CAA and some FBS schools.

New England isn't a great high school "football region" overall though there are some very good public/Catholics in Massachusetts and Connecticut specifically (Brockton, Everett, BC High etc) and there are some pockets here and there. We had a great couple of classes at the public HS I work at (Dartmouth) that sent kids to Georgia (Artie Lynch), UConn (Jordan Todman now with the Jaguars), Sean Sylvia (BC) and Justin Mello (UNH). But a lot of the preps (moreso in hoop) take kids in from around the area and nationally, like Hebron, that probably boost their figures on this map.

Holy Cross had kids from 25 different states on their roster last year....a lot of them scholarship freshmen, which hopefully will bring about some better Falls soon.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 21st, 2014, 09:20 AM
The other odd thing with those numbers for Androscoggin County -- none of them play at UMaine! xconfusedx

Sandlapper Spike
January 21st, 2014, 12:00 PM
I corresponded with the guy who put together the study via twitter last night. The Androscoggin thing appears to be a glitch caused by ESPN's listing of players. What I think happened is that if ESPN had the name of a player but nothing else (not his height, weight, or hometown), it simply listed his hometown as Livermore Falls, Maine. This affected 38 of the players in their database.

As to why Livermore Falls, I can only guess that an intern from Maine with a sense of humor was doing the inputting...

Bogus Megapardus
January 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM
Androscoggin-gate?

Bogus Megapardus
January 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM
As to why Livermore Falls, I can only guess that an intern from Maine with a sense of humor was doing the inputting...

It appears that Livermore Falls' Spruce Mountain High School is ranked #4917 nationally by MaxPreps. Currently there are 41 kids on the Spruce Mountain varsity roster. Assuming that translates to roughly 10 seniors, should we anticipate that all of them will get D1 offers? xrolleyesx

BisonHype!
January 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM
Androscoggin-gate?

ANDROSCOGGIN!!!!!! People haven't been this upset since.... since....

http://youtu.be/YersIyzsOpc