PDA

View Full Version : BIG QB News For Samford!!!

SU DOG
January 17th, 2014, 04:33 PM
According to his Twitter info, Michael Eubank is coming to Samford. He is a former 4**** Scout AND Rivals player who is transferring from AZ State. This guy is roughly 6-5, 245 lbs and Rivals had him as the #8 dual-threat QB in the nation(ahead of both Mariota and Manzel). I have heard there are no discipline problems or academic issues, just wants PT. I know how xfers sometimes do and sometimes don't work out, BUT I am one excited Samford Fan to hear this news. This guy has TREMENDOUS upside.xnodx

dewey
January 17th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a great get for Samford.

Dewey

FormerPokeCenter
January 17th, 2014, 04:39 PM
That's a great pick up...he visited McNeese and some Big Sky schools...Didn't realize Samford was in the hunt...

bjtheflamesfan
January 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Dial it back bro...good pickup but let's not crown him just yet...let's see how he does when he hits the field down there.

lionsrking2
January 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM
According to his Twitter info, Michael Eubank is coming to Samford. He is a former 4**** Scout AND Rivals player who is transferring from AZ State. This guy is roughly 6-5, 245 lbs and Rivals had him as the #8 dual-threat QB in the nation(ahead of both Mariota and Manzel). I have heard there are no discipline problems or academic issues, just wants PT. I know how xfers sometimes do and sometimes don't work out, BUT I am one excited Samford Fan to hear this news. This guy has TREMENDOUS upside.xnodx

Does that mean you guys will come play us now?:)

centennial
January 17th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Good pick. Lets wait for the rhetoric though. He needs to prove himself.

citdog
January 17th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Quarterback wasn't your problem. You got physically WHIPPED by Wofford, even though you beat them, The Citadel, and Furman. Your teams problem was a lack of depth and toughness. If you couldn't win with a 27 year old Qb what makes you think this fella will do better?

Sandlapper Spike
January 18th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I thought the big news was going to be that Summerlin had received a 7th year of eligibility...

SpeedkingATL
January 18th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Samford = the new Delaware! Transfer U.xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
January 19th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Sounds like a nice pickup. I feel compelled to say what I say every time, you can count the number of impact FBS transfers that elevated their team to the next level on one hand.

Cocky
January 19th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Samford = the new Delaware! Transfer U.xsmiley_wix

Can't be, they are private. Samford does have the advantage of being low level academic school to keep their transfers eligible.

SU DOG
January 19th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Can't be, they are private. Samford does have the advantage of being low level academic school to keep their transfers eligible.

Cocky, my interpretation of Speed's comment is that this guy may have a future like Joe Flacco. LOL. Transfers like QB Andy Summerlin and from what I understand, Eubank also, are NOT academic risks at all, and maybe even help the APR. I think you are confusing JSU type xfers(especially under Crowe), with ours. The "low level academic" comment is strange. I won't quote APR, ACT, and various other sources that I could, but I think that Samford's academic reputation speaks for itself.

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Cocky, my interpretation of Speed's comment is that this guy may have a future like Joe Flacco. LOL. Transfers like QB Andy Summerlin and from what I understand, Eubank also, are NOT academic risks at all, and maybe even help the APR. I think you are confusing JSU type xfers(especially under Crowe), with ours. The "low level academic" comment is strange. I won't quote APR, ACT, and various other sources that I could, but I think that Samford's academic reputation speaks for itself.

Thing is many schools have different academic standards for admissions for athletes vs reg students. They just dont advertise it.

underdawg
January 19th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Sounds like a nice pickup. I feel compelled to say what I say every time, you can count the number of impact FBS transfers that elevated their team to the next level on one hand.

And I am compelled to say every time that one guy of any sort can't do that--it takes a bunch of high schoolers too> But for SIU I can fill two of your hands with guys that did well after transfer from JUCO, FBS and even D-2. Brandon Jacobs (All-pro), Arkee Whitlock (All-American< in the same Backfield as Jacobs), Deji Karim (All American), Braden Jones (All-conference), Linton Brown (first team All-Conference), Lionell Williams (all-conference), James Cloud (all-conference), John Randle (All-Conference), Chauncey Mixon (All-american, all-conference) and Bradon Jones (all-conference/in NFL)--that's two hands and I could at least go with another hand full--all since 2005--Here I'll give you one more finger---Ken Boatright--MVC first team all-conference who transfered in from a D-2 college sat out a redshirt transfer year and then starred two years---

walliver
January 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Ingle Martin worked out well. Most of the Citadel's 5th year transfers didn't.

A player transferring from a BCS league do to lack of playing time is usually a player who didn't play at his expected level. He may make an impact in FCS, he may sit on the bench.

BisonHype!
January 21st, 2014, 12:24 PM

If this kid is that good, why is he not getting picked up by a decent or mid-major FBS school? I mean it all sounds good, and grats to Samford, but why was he not pursued by bigger schools?

BisonHype!
January 21st, 2014, 12:31 PM
I found this article that explains a little bit about the situation. Hard to call him a sure-fire top QB in the FCS until he plays, but sounds like he has some tools that found him self as a wanted prospect out of high school. Sounds like the transfer was best for him, and Samford might have a good talent at QB. What kind of offense does Samford run? Will they have to change scheme for Eubank?

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2013/12/16/michael-eubank-smart-to-transfer-from-arizona-state/

bjtheflamesfan
January 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM
Could be any number of factors...For one thing, just because a QB wants to transfer doesnt necessarily mean that they have the scholarships available to bring one in. If that isnt the case, you look at the experience (or lack thereof) with your current players at the position. If that isnt an issue, then you as the coach have to ask yourself, will they fit within the philosophy and scheme that we run, if not, will it take a significant alteration to accommodate them within the system, and also, will they be able to mesh within the team dynamic that has been created. If any of those factors, in addition to whether or not they will be able to qualify academically among other things, aren't in play, then you look at things like interest and talent level.

PaladinFan
January 21st, 2014, 01:20 PM
Ingle Martin worked out well. Most of the Citadel's 5th year transfers didn't.

A player transferring from a BCS league do to lack of playing time is usually a player who didn't play at his expected level. He may make an impact in FCS, he may sit on the bench.

I may miss some at other conferences, but Martin and Flacco are really the only two that come to mind. Those two players made their teams championship contenders overnight. Not to say those teams were not already "good" (perennial playoff participants), but just elevated them immediately to a top five program.

My only point is that the odds are that this kid will come in a talented athlete that may have been overvalued coming out of high school. Most of these players coming out of high profile schools can certainly play ball, but at best become good complimentary pieces on their teams. Summerlin is a good example. Chris Forcier from Furman a few years back is another. Alex Mortensen, once the top ranked QB in Georgia, transferred to Samford a number of years ago as well and had a very underwhelming college career. Some guys pan out, some don't.

It's a good get for Samford. I've watched FCS football enough to know that I don't value Samford any more today than before the transfer was announced. Most of the time there are reasons these kids don't get on the field at their current universities. You have to "wait and see." Summerlin made Samford better. This kid may be a whole lot better than any internal options in line to replace him.

PaladinFan
January 21st, 2014, 01:29 PM
I found this article that explains a little bit about the situation. Hard to call him a sure-fire top QB in the FCS until he plays, but sounds like he has some tools that found him self as a wanted prospect out of high school. Sounds like the transfer was best for him, and Samford might have a good talent at QB. What kind of offense does Samford run? Will they have to change scheme for Eubank?

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2013/12/16/michael-eubank-smart-to-transfer-from-arizona-state/

The system has a lot to do with it. Furman had highly regarded transfer from UCLA (Chris Forcier) a few years ago. Forcier joined Furman in the Lamb administration, and was misused and often injured. Lamb, who was rumored to have desperately wanted a spread option type QB, basically tried to have Forcier run a one man offense out there.

Forcier's senior year was the first season of Bruce Fowler. Fowler went back to "old school" Furman football with a run first focus. He abandoned a lot of the read option stuff that Lamb was fond of, put Forcier outside the pocket and gave him a running game. He went on to have one of the great seasons for a Furman quarterback in 20 years and was near the top of the FCS in passer efficiency.

It was interesting to watch. Under one system, the kid was a pinball back there and constantly injured. In another, he was among the top quarterbacks in the FCS.

lionsrking2
January 21st, 2014, 01:35 PM
I may miss some at other conferences, but Martin and Flacco are really the only two that come to mind. Those two players made their teams championship contenders overnight. Not to say those teams were not already "good" (perennial playoff participants), but just elevated them immediately to a top five program.

I would say Bryan Bennett fits in that category, though we're more than just him. But he certainly put us over the top as a contender.

Nickels
January 21st, 2014, 01:42 PM
I would say Bryan Bennett fits in that category, though we're more than just him. But he certainly put us over the top as a contender.SELA wasn't a championship contender last year.