PDA

View Full Version : UTC Dismisses Three Players

SU DOG
January 16th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Including Terrell Robinson.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/chattanooga-dismisses-3-players-team

chattownmocs
January 16th, 2014, 03:45 PM
They have no one to blame but themselves. Robinson and Huitt are talented players that never lived up to their potential.

PaladinFan
January 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM
They have no one to blame but themselves. Robinson and Huitt are talented players that never lived up to their potential.

No program is immune to these type things. Hope they get back on the right track and finish their education somewhere.

SU DOG
January 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM
No program is immune to these type things. Hope they get back on the right track and finish their education somewhere.

Amen Paladin Fan. These are human beings with human trials and tribulations. One of them(Will Sharpton) has faced unbelievable hardships lately. Not to excuse his actions, but just to say that his situation, to me, calls for prayers and condolences. Read the article from this link, about his mother and sister to see what I mean.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/nov/13/grieving-mom-finds-the-pain-too-much/

AshevilleApp2
January 16th, 2014, 04:46 PM

Truth. Good for UTC for doing what needs to be done, but best of luck for players involved.

seantaylor
January 17th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Chatty has the most thugs in the FCS year in and year out. Robinson got 12 strikes before he was out.

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2014, 07:24 AM
"multiple failed drug tests." http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jan/17/robinson-admits-marijuana-use-led-to-utc-dismissal/?sportscollege

I'm not sure how many failed drug tests one gets, but apparently that was one too many.

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 17th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I like that the kid admitted his mistakes, and didn't blame anyone but himself, it shows some guts and maturity, hope he learns from this and everything works out for him.

SpeedkingATL
January 17th, 2014, 12:47 PM
This is a story that is repeated too often at too many universities. Hope these kids learn from this and go on to be successful in life. Robinson may have a future in the sport if he can find the right attitude and the right situation.

CID1990
January 17th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Chatty has the most thugs in the FCS year in and year out. Robinson got 12 strikes before he was out.

LOL! Considering the source.

Shouldn't you be trolling the other 8 posters on the Sun Blet BBS?

ThompsonThe
January 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM
LOL! Considering the source.

Shouldn't you be trolling the other 8 posters on the Sun Blet BBS?

Will the citadel ever have any students or alums that aren't older than their iq's?

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Admittedly, I was surprised that Robinson had only 263 yards and 2 touchdowns. Respectable receiving numbers, sure, but he probably never quite was deserving of the hype.

It might end up being addition by subtraction. Sure, he's a talented player, but UTC might be better off without the distraction and the temptation to try and get so creative with distributing the football.

clenz
January 17th, 2014, 04:35 PM
"multiple failed drug tests." http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jan/17/robinson-admits-marijuana-use-led-to-utc-dismissal/?sportscollege

I'm not sure how many failed drug tests one gets, but apparently that was one too many.
I know there is a LARGE number of universities that has a policy very similar to this

First fail: Talked to by coach and likely extra conditioning but nothing released on it
Second test: A half or one game suspension for "violating team rules" and extra conditioning

After that it starts to split depending on the program

Third fail: a large number of places is a long suspension/dismissal...some it's just a 2 or 3 game suspension for "violation of team rules"

I know of a D3 school in the state of Iowa that it takes popping positive just once to get booted....I also know of a NCAA team in a neighboring state that it takes at least 7 to get booted...I still don't know the number because the guy I know on the team is still there after 7

Nickels
January 17th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Yeah they are stupid and selfish for breaking team rules however the NCAA and universities should take weed off the ban substances list. It's the only drug that shows up in urine test past 2 or 3 days (can be detected in urine for 1-5 weeks-ish) and probably accounts for 95% of test failures and more benign than many legal substances. Considering the college lifestyle, its really a fairly safe activity. IMO with legalization becoming a growing sentiment, it will be an issue they will have to face one day.

citdog
January 17th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Will the citadel ever have any students or alums that aren't older than their iq's?

183 is biblical times old

PaladinFan
January 18th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I know there is a LARGE number of universities that has a policy very similar to this

First fail: Talked to by coach and likely extra conditioning but nothing released on it
Second test: A half or one game suspension for "violating team rules" and extra conditioning

After that it starts to split depending on the program

Third fail: a large number of places is a long suspension/dismissal...some it's just a 2 or 3 game suspension for "violation of team rules"

I know of a D3 school in the state of Iowa that it takes popping positive just once to get booted....I also know of a NCAA team in a neighboring state that it takes at least 7 to get booted...I still don't know the number because the guy I know on the team is still there after 7

UGA is often saddled with the moniker of being a program with a lot of misfits. They are different than most college programs in that Mark Richt has a very harsh approach to acting like an idiot.

Georgia does not have any more immature kids on their team than any other major college program. Those kids are just on a tighter leash and are publicly dismissed from the team much quicker. I mean, there are two starting quarterbacks in the SEC (Nick Marshall at Auburn and Zach Mettenberger at LSU) that were dismissed from Georgia's team for violating team rules.

dewey
January 18th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Yeah they are stupid and selfish for breaking team rules however the NCAA and universities should take weed off the ban substances list. It's the only drug that shows up in urine test past 2 or 3 days (can be detected in urine for 1-5 weeks-ish) and probably accounts for 95% of test failures and more benign than many legal substances. Considering the college lifestyle, its really a fairly safe activity. IMO with legalization becoming a growing sentiment, it will be an issue they will have to face one day.

Obviously it does not state what rules were broken and we will probably never know but...

I know that weed is legalized in a few states now so I wonder how it is handled at let's say Colorado, Colorado State or other schools. In my opinion the rules are presented to the players and to me it does not matter what the rules are just so long as they are consistent and discussed as soon as the players come to campus. If you break the rules you suffer the consequences.

Hopefully these players can learn from their mistakes and move on.

Like others have said there are problems at virtually every school.

Dewey

clenz
January 18th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Obviously it does not state what rules were broken and we will probably never know but...

I know that weed is legalized in a few states now so I wonder how it is handled at let's say Colorado, Colorado State or other schools. In my opinion the rules are presented to the players and to me it does not matter what the rules are just so long as they are consistent and discussed as soon as the players come to campus. If you break the rules you suffer the consequences.

Hopefully these players can learn from their mistakes and move on.

Like others have said there are problems at virtually every school.

Dewey
The NCAA, MLS, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc... have all said that while the state has legalized use of the drug they still consider it a banned substance. Since they are a private organization they can do that. Hell, if they wanted too they could put alcohol on their banned substance list....

dgtw
January 19th, 2014, 03:38 PM
The NCAA, MLS, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc... have all said that while the state has legalized use of the drug they still consider it a banned substance. Since they are a private organization they can do that. Hell, if they wanted too they could put alcohol on their banned substance list....

And I'd have zero sympathy for anyone kicked off for booze if it was banned. You know the rules when you sign up.

I don't care one way or the other if pot is made legal, but until it is, its your own fault if you get busted with it.

clenz
January 19th, 2014, 04:46 PM
And I'd have zero sympathy for anyone kicked off for booze if it was banned. You know the rules when you sign up.

I don't care one way or the other if pot is made legal, but until it is, its your own fault if you get busted with it.

Exactly this...Exactly.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Nova09
January 20th, 2014, 02:34 PM

There's also a difference between NCAA drug testing and the school doing its own testing. So, Denver might not punish at all for marijuana use although the NCAA could come in at any time and conduct their own test and those using marijuana would be in trouble. Technically a school could test their athletes for steroids and not do anything after positive tests, but if the NCAA found out they would be there in a second testing everyone.

JayJ79
January 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM

does the same go for those players/students at ultra conservative/religous schools that get suspended/kicked out for having sex or holding hands or whatever "honor code" violations they come up with?

Baldy
January 21st, 2014, 06:30 AM
does the same go for those players/students at ultra conservative/religous schools that get suspended/kicked out for having sex or holding hands or whatever "honor code" violations they come up with?
Ask Brandon Davies or Spencer Hadley at BYU.

dgtw
January 21st, 2014, 07:48 PM

Yes. You know the deal going in. If you don't like the rules at a certain school, don't go there.

citdog
January 22nd, 2014, 12:48 PM

my school kicked a two time all america center out of the school this season for a violation of the Honor Code, no quotation marks, and it was the right thing to do.

kdinva
January 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM
my school kicked a two time all america center out of the school this season for a violation of the Honor Code, no quotation marks, and it was the right thing to do.

same thing happens in Lexington, when necessary...... xcoffeex

Mr. C
January 22nd, 2014, 02:25 PM
I guess you don't realize the academic requirements needed to attend The Citadel. Pretty lame comment.

CID1990
January 22nd, 2014, 04:52 PM

Hey look! Seantaylor's bird of a feather!

DoWe
January 22nd, 2014, 06:52 PM
I heard he was kicked out for indulging in sodomy with the Shako.

CID1990
January 22nd, 2014, 11:51 PM
I heard he was kicked out for indulging in sodomy with the Shako.

You fail at funny.

Just stop

The Eagle's Cliff
January 23rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Marijuana is not as benign as people would like to believe. Neither is alcohol for that matter. The THC content of today's weed is much higher than what the Hippies smoked. It's the difference between drinking a beer and doing a double-shot of Golden Grain.

Students, including athletes, are referred to agencies for Alcohol and Drug assessments just like other youth under 21 who have been caught using under age. This is the same process adults go through in DUI and Drug Courts across the country. This process allows society to "catch" young people who are at high risk to be substance abusers as adults as well as help adults address their substance use.

To the well-adjusted, kudos to you and your parents, but we need to be aware of the serious dysfunction in our culture. Alcohol and Drug use are common among young people because the purpose for use is value-searching. The problem is seen when that person is still using at 30, 35, and 40. "Legalizing" Drugs could be a good thing in terms of saving money on prosecution and incarceration, I also like the idea of generating revenue through taxes for funding treatment. However, legalizing drugs will not address the dysfunctional thinking and behavior of the user. The thinking and behavior are the problem and the substances affect the brain in a way that compounds the real problem. There's nothing benign about consuming substances which alter brain chemistry whether consumed illegally, prescribed, or over-the-counter.

chattownmocs
January 23rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
The Mocs coaching staff is hard at work trying to flip Appy commits with their new openings. Penny Smith seems to be the first after he may have been told he wont play QB for the Mountaineers on his recent visit. It would be justice as App States best young defensive players were Chattanooga commits or leans until be flipped late a few years back.

Apphole
January 23rd, 2014, 04:41 PM
The Mocs coaching staff is hard at work trying to flip Appy commits with their new openings. Penny Smith seems to be the first after he may have been told he wont play QB for the Mountaineers on his recent visit. It would be justice as App States best young defensive players were Chattanooga commits or leans until be flipped late a few years back.

I guess no one told Smith that Daddy's little QB isn't going anywhere till he graduates. Ask Robinson.

PhillyApp1
January 23rd, 2014, 04:50 PM

If Smith flips, he is as smart as you are????
and i say enjoy him cause he will flip on UTC.

You will always shock me with your posts.

chattownmocs
January 23rd, 2014, 05:17 PM
I guess no one told Smith that Daddy's little QB isn't going anywhere till he graduates. Ask Robinson.

Daddy's little socon player of the year will be gone by the time Smith is a redshirt soph.

chattownmocs
January 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
If Smith flips, he is as smart as you are????
and i say enjoy him cause he will flip on UTC.

You will always shock me with your posts.

Don't you guys have some guys like john law and Damian small that flipped from UTC? They are doing well aren't they? Don't be bitter man. He may not be the only one though.