PDA

View Full Version : Harvard-Princeton Thread

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Well, the two biggest Ivy games of the year -- so far, at least -- are coming up this Saturday. Harvard (5-0, 2-0 Ivy) plays Princeton (same record) at noon in New Jersey in a much-anticipated matchup. Harvard will be out to avenge its heartbreaking 2005 loss to the Tigers in Cambridge, while Princeton will try to beat Harvard at home for the first time since 1996. The game will be televised on YES. I expect a close, relatively low-scoring game. For some reason, these two teams almost always have close games, and special-teams plays often determine the outcome (like last year's kickoff return by McCareins).

In the other big game, the other two teams with unbeaten League records, Yale and Penn, square off in New Haven.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Wanted to add this snippet coming from an inlikely place: the Morning Call's summation of the Lafayette/Harvard Game (http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-fbc-lafayetteoct16,0,5678988.story):

"Harvard and Princeton are both 5-0 at this juncture for the first time since 1920."

Pretty amazing! And to add to this, in 1920 Harvard and Princeton BOTH finished undefeated that year (Princeton at 6-0-1 and Harvard at 8-0-1.) As you probably guessed, they tied 14-14, with Princeton winning the national championship.

Pard4Life
October 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Wanted to add this snippet coming from an inlikely place: the Morning Call's summation of the Lafayette/Harvard Game (http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-fbc-lafayetteoct16,0,5678988.story):

"Harvard and Princeton are both 5-0 at this juncture for the first time since 1920."

Pretty amazing! And to add to this, in 1920 Harvard and Princeton BOTH finished undefeated that year (Princeton at 6-0-1 and Harvard at 8-0-1.) As you probably guessed, they tied 14-14, with Princeton winning the national championship.

Can't wait!... I already have tickets for this great ga..

Um, uh.. nevermind.. I'll be at Holy Cross-Lafayette for, um, homecoming... yes.. ;) ;)

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Me too...Good luck to Haavard!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM
A correction from the folks at Harvard, it was 1922. From the press release:

Both Harvard and Princeton are 5-0 this season: this game marks the first time since 1922 that both teams have been at least 5-0 going into their annual meeting.

Harvard and Princeton comprise two of the five undefeated schools in Division I-AA football.

Harvard's offense - which is the top-ranked unit in the Ivy League - will be facing Princeton's defense, which is likewise ranked first in the Ivies.

A strong possibility exists that twin brothers will be on opposite sides of field at the same time. Harvard sophomore Andrew Berry is a starting cornerback, while his twin brother, Adam, is listed second on Princeton's depth chart at wide receiver.

It will be carried by YES network instead of your regularly scheduled Yankeeography of "Don Mattingly: Why Poor Donnie Didn't Get His Ring". :p

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Christ, don't people EVER tire of watching Yankee crap! Come on!

ColgateTD
October 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM
This is a battle of two Ivy "heavyweights' I'd love to see in person - but can't. From a poor guy in the PL: "Good Luck to Both Teams - May The Better Team Win!".....:hurray:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2006, 08:57 AM
My wife doesn't know it yet, but not only am I dragging her to see Harvard/Princeton, I'm taping Holy Cross/Lafayette and watching the replay of Bucknell/Lehigh later that night!!!

:D

Did I mention that I love football season? :rotateh:

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM
My wife doesn't know it yet, but not only am I dragging her to see Harvard/Princeton, I'm taping Holy Cross/Lafayette and watching the replay of Bucknell/Lehigh later that night!!!

haha. now you just need to convince her to like it.

Saturday I watched Harvard and Yale's games (flipped back and forth), we both listened to the UNI game on the radio (when I left she kept listening), and then we both watched McNeese St -Texas St for the 1st half before we went out for the night. :hurray:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2006, 10:16 AM
haha. now you just need to convince her to like it.

Saturday I watched Harvard and Yale's games (flipped back and forth), we both listened to the UNI game on the radio (when I left she kept listening), and then we both watched McNeese St -Texas St for the 1st half before we went out for the night. :hurray:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Actually, my wife does like it, but she does have her high water mark on it. One and a half games is usually the breaking point. It doesn't help that I babble incessantly on the subject all week too. xlolx

ColgateTD
October 17th, 2006, 10:33 AM
LFN - I look forward to your report on Harvard-Princeton when you get home (or back to your comoputer). For that matter I'm interested in your take on Bucknell/LU and HC/Laf. I'll be checking you out on Sunday or Monday...:thumbsup:

ngineer
October 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I agree the game should be close, but I sense some fireworks. I was very impressed with Harvards big receivers and will be interested to see how Princeton's tough secondary handles them. I would expect a decent dose of trickery as well. Harvard 31-28.

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I agree the game should be close, but I sense some fireworks. I was very impressed with Harvards big receivers and will be interested to see how Princeton's tough secondary handles them. I would expect a decent dose of trickery as well. Harvard 31-28.

Something tells me that neither side will break 30 this week, with those defenses playing so well in recent games. I'll guess Harvard, 24-21. I'd rather have the "under" on this one!

Harvard Worship
October 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Something tells me that neither side will break 30 this week, with those defenses playing so well in recent games. I'll guess Harvard, 24-21. I'd rather have the "under" on this one!

I also figure this to be a low-scoring game. I'm willing to bet Harvard will try to run the ball more vs. Princeton. Not only does Princeton have a great secondary, but let us recall that some of Clifton Dawson's biggest games have been against the Tigers -- he utterly destroys the Princeton run D -- must be something about their defensive formation. 203 yds, 2 TDs last year. 201 yds, 3TDs in 2004, and 183 yds, 3TDs in the 43-40 OT extravaganza in 2003.
Especially if Murphy lets O'Hagan back this game (starting QB still up for grabs? -- didn't read of any announcement), we'll rely on the ground game while the air attack works out the rust.

bulldog10jw
October 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Interesting article about the last time Harvard and Princeton met and both were undefeated:

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=654529

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! Great article! I love the idea of a tiger getting hunted on the streets of Princeton... xlolx

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Interesting article about the last time Harvard and Princeton met and both were undefeated:

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=654529

I prefer the result of the '46 contest -- unmentioned by the Princeton reporter -- that was won by the Crimson!:thumbsup:

October 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
BATTLES OF THE TITANS!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Tidbit alert:

Princeton’s 27-24 win over Harvard last season ended a nine-year losing streak to the Crimson. Since that game, Princeton has ended a nine-game losing streak to Penn and a seven-game losing streak to Lehigh.

Since losing to Princeton, Harvard has won nine straight games. The Tigers have won eight of nine.

Oh man, will this be great! Think Princeton stadium could sell out?

bulldog10jw
October 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Since losing to Princeton, Harvard has won nine straight games. The Tigers have won eight of nine.

I wonder who pinned that one loss on Princeton.:D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM

Couldn't be the team that beat Lehigh last week, could it? :D

ngineer
October 21st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Well, I picked the right score, 31-28. Just got the winner reversed. I figured it would come down to the wire. Thought the Crimson had a little bit more talent on balance, but not surprised by the final. I could see a multiple tie for the Ivy this year, as in the PL....

YaleFootballFan
October 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM

Their nemesis from New Haven, of course, who happens to share the top spot in the Ivy with them! :D

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Harvard had 5 turnovers to Princeton's 1, so the Crimson deserved to lose. O'Hagan came "off parole" just in time to throw 2 key interceptions in the last 4 minutes. : smh : : smh : Well, on to Dartmouth next week.:o

colorless raider
October 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM

Ditto my behavoir. we had better keep our wives apart or move to Hamilton and Bethleham.

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Only 16,500 at the game? I expected more... well, it was still a great game.. bonehead me forgot to record it while at Lafayette... reading the game summaries, it does not seem that the personal foul for taunting was warranted.... what a way to lose a game.. damn refs..

Well, I am happy for Princeton and glad they beat Harvard. Did we give the Tigers a blueprint on how to stop Dawson? :confused:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Hoping to have my I-AA diary done on this tonight, but there was a taunting call on both Princeton and Harvard defenses during the game that extended key drives. Ironically, at the same place in the field and the same result.