PDA

View Full Version : FCS Offensive Player Of The Year Award Named In Honor Of Adrian "AP" Peterson

CSN-info
January 13th, 2014, 06:30 AM
FCS Offensive Player Of The Year Award Named In Honor Of Adrian "AP" Peterson

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1204&d=1264771706&stc=1

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) offensive player of the year award presented by College Sporting News has been named in honor of the great Adrian "AP" Peterson from Georgia Southern University (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_ABmN-sMU). AP remains the leading rusher in NCAA Division I history, a mark he set over a decade ago.

The award is given annually by CSN, the largest and oldest news service solely devoted to publishing original content and other information of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1205&d=1389613644&stc=1 (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1205&d=1389613644)

Adrian Nicholas Peterson was born on July 1, 1979 and is from Alachua, Florida where he was a high school All-American football player. From 1998-2001, Peterson played for the Georgia Southern University Eagles.

With AP at runningback, GSU went to four NCAA Division I playoffs and won two championships against the top competition available.

In 57 career games including the playoffs, he carried 1,378 times for 9,145 yards (6.6 avg), 111 touchdowns and an average of 160.44 yards per game.

He is the NCAA Division I football leading rusher of all-time. Period.

Read more... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?1042-FCS-Offensive-Player-Of-The-Year-Award-Named-In-Honor-Of-Adrian-AP-Peterson)

Wallace
January 13th, 2014, 08:13 AM
greatest FCS offensive player ever ... sorry McNair etc., strength of schedule

blueballs
January 13th, 2014, 10:27 AM
He is as good a person as he was an athlete, and that is saying something. The honor is very richly deserved.

Now if the NCAA would only perform a rectal cranial inversion and officially recognize his- and his predecessors'- playoff stats...

Wallace
January 13th, 2014, 11:01 AM
He is as good a person as he was an athlete, and that is saying something. The honor is very richly deserved.

Now if the NCAA would only perform a rectal cranial inversion and officially recognize his- and his predecessors'- playoff stats...

I can't imagine anyone besting his yardage record ... omg teams did everything they could to stop him .. see THE RUN and SON OF THE RUN for the results... and know the person (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-08-04/sports/0308040199_1_dick-jauron-georgia-southern-adrian-peterson)

dewey
January 13th, 2014, 12:24 PM
The line that stood out to me the most was

"In 57 career games including the playoffs, he carried 1,378 times for 9,145 yards (6.6 avg), 111 touchdowns and an average of 160.44 yards per game.

AP set the NCAA record for most rushing yards in a season for a freshman. He was the first sophomore to win an award for most outstanding player in NCAA Division I-AA. Peterson finished among the top three vote-getters for the Walter Payton Award in all four of his college football seasons, winning it in 1999. He failed to gain 100 yards in a game only once in his college career."

I know GSU is a heavy run team with the triple option but to not get to 100 yards in 1 game is incredible.

Thanks for a history lesson on arguably the greatest 1-AA/FCS players of all time.

Here is my question.

To the people that are more familiar with AP than me what happenend in the game that he didn't get to 100 yards? Injured? Blowout?

Dewey

SpeedkingATL
January 13th, 2014, 02:54 PM
AP was a beast. Honor well deserved!

blueballs
January 13th, 2014, 03:00 PM
The line that stood out to me the most was

"In 57 career games including the playoffs, he carried 1,378 times for 9,145 yards (6.6 avg), 111 touchdowns and an average of 160.44 yards per game.

AP set the NCAA record for most rushing yards in a season for a freshman. He was the first sophomore to win an award for most outstanding player in NCAA Division I-AA. Peterson finished among the top three vote-getters for the Walter Payton Award in all four of his college football seasons, winning it in 1999. He failed to gain 100 yards in a game only once in his college career."

I know GSU is a heavy run team with the triple option but to not get to 100 yards in 1 game is incredible.

Thanks for a history lesson on arguably the greatest 1-AA/FCS players of all time.

Here is my question.

To the people that are more familiar with AP than me what happenend in the game that he didn't get to 100 yards? Injured? Blowout?

Dewey

The article is inaccurate in that regard. He was held under 100 yards twice.

The first time was at Appalachian State his SR year. App sold completely out to stop him which allowed GSU QB J.R. Revere to run wild for over 170 yards in a GSU win. Somebody can look it up but I think GSU SB Andre Weathers had over 100 yards too. That game broke the 57 game streak of >/=100 yards rushing by Peterson.

The second time was in the 2001 semi finals against Furman. Peterson got hit in the small of the back and had back spasms which more or less rendered him unable to go in the second half of that game. That was the first ever home playoff loss for GSU, the first and only playoff game Peterson didn't get >/=100 yards, and it was the last game of his career.

eaglewraith
January 13th, 2014, 03:46 PM
The article is inaccurate in that regard. He was held under 100 yards twice.

The first time was at Appalachian State his SR year. App sold completely out to stop him which allowed GSU QB J.R. Revere to run wild for over 170 yards in a GSU win. Somebody can look it up but I think GSU SB Andre Weathers had over 100 yards too. That game broke the 57 game streak of >/=100 yards rushing by Peterson.

The second time was in the 2001 semi finals against Furman. Peterson got hit in the small of the back and had back spasms which more or less rendered him unable to go in the second half of that game. That was the first ever home playoff loss for GSU, the first and only playoff game Peterson didn't get >/=100 yards, and it was the last game of his career.

He got held under 100 against Wofford at the end of the regular season that year, in a delayed game due to 9/11 that was played in horrible conditions.

paward
January 13th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Saw him twice and his running ability still in my head. He deserve this honor.

blueballs
January 13th, 2014, 07:21 PM
He got held under 100 against Wofford at the end of the regular season that year, in a delayed game due to 9/11 that was played in horrible conditions.

You're right... I completely forgot about that one.

MR. CHICKEN
January 13th, 2014, 07:24 PM

18761….SO….THREE GAMES….UNDER UH 100?….WOFFORD/APP ST./FURMAN…...AWK!

eaglewraith
January 13th, 2014, 07:51 PM

3 games for his whole career. Still impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

3 games for his whole career. Still impressive.

MR. CHICKEN
January 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
18762…....YES IT IS…..HE BEAT US @ TUBBY FIELD…PLAY-OFF GAME……..ONE ARM..IN UH SLING…….NOT KIDDIN'……BRAWK!

CSN-info
January 13th, 2014, 10:09 PM
The article is inaccurate in that regard...

Corrected. Thanks. Three times in his 57 games.

walliver
January 14th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Although our PR department makes a big deal about that, the reality was that AP's streak had already been broken so there was no incentive to let him play the second half, and it wasn't a close game.

AP richly deserves that honor, unfortunately, to non-FCS fans it will be the "Adrian Peterson, but not that one, Award"

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM
He deserves to be in the conversation for the best FCS player ever, but aside from strength-of-schedule and numbers there is also the supporting cast.

Our offenses from 1998 and 1999 were ridiculous - best in the history of the division in my biased opinion. The numbers of AP and the offense from those years don't even tell the entire story because in a lot of games the backups came in early in the third quarter and AP was on the bench.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 14th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I've had the honor of seeing some of the best FCS players of all time play live. It was amazing to watch him play and glad I had the opportunity. I've not seen a back like him before or since. Excellent pick for the award naming.

AshevilleApp2
January 14th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Great choice.

Baldy
January 15th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Appropriate place to put this. The perfect mix is speed, balance, power, and vision. xbowx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_ABmN-sMU

OL FU
January 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Certainly deserviing.

I certainly liked him a lot better after 2001:o:)

dewey
January 15th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Appropriate place to put this. The perfect mix is speed, balance, power, and vision. xbowx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_ABmN-sMU

Awesome highlight video! I assume the run against YSU at about the 2 minutemark was "The Run"? If so too bad his own player tackled him. He looked just like MN Viking AP in throwing the YSU player that was trying to tackle him aside. Looks like he had great balance and the ability to shed tackles.

The highlight of AP receiving his diploma was a perfect way to end the video.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
January 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM
His bance and power were his two greatest attributes in my book. His speed might just not look as great to me though because unless he was using the two attributes I mention it just looked so effortless.

Wallace
November 11th, 2014, 11:11 AM
it is something I will never forget... at the SOCON media rouser... two smaller guys walked up to my table and introduced themselves... "My name is Louis Ivory" "and my name is Adrian Peterson", "thank you _sir_ for coming to meet us". The last two players of the year thanking me so properly, would that happen in the rest of Division I (FBS)? High class players.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2014, 11:31 AM
My son and I had the privilege of watching that 2000 semifinal game against Delaware in Newark. AP had almost 200 yards rushing that day for GSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM
My son and I had the privilege of watching that 2000 semifinal game against Delaware in Newark. AP had almost 200 yards rushing that day for GSU.

...and after the game he went up to you and said "thank you _sir_ for coming to watch us".

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 27th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know who got this award for 2014 or was it not given out? I couldn't find any information about it.

TheKingpin28
April 27th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know who got this award for 2014 or was it not given out? I couldn't find any information about it.

Probably when to Robertson of Villanova

PaladinFan
April 28th, 2015, 08:48 AM
it is something I will never forget... at the SOCON media rouser... two smaller guys walked up to my table and introduced themselves... "My name is Louis Ivory" "and my name is Adrian Peterson", "thank you _sir_ for coming to meet us". The last two players of the year thanking me so properly, would that happen in the rest of Division I (FBS)? High class players.

You would be hard pressed, I think, to find a series in college football where two rivals simultaneously sported arguably their greatest all time players, respectively.

Going back over the numbers from those Georgia Southern/Furman games in the late 90s early 2000s. Some kind of football being played.