PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical quesion: Could NDSU sell 15,000 $100.00 game tickets vs Wyoming in Fargo

buffalobill
January 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM
4,000 tickets would go to the students as always, 1,000,000 to Wyoming as a game payout, and 5,000 or whatever number of Bison fans would not have to travel to Laramie. Chance for Gameday in Fargo again and nationwide ESPN audience. The payout is more than Wy probably makes on many of their home games, NDSU grosses 500,000 and doesn't have to travel. Seems to me this would require some FBS swallowing of pride but it would be a win-win. As to the opponent Wy was put in for discussion.

centennial
January 11th, 2014, 01:13 PM
4,000 tickets would go to the students as always, 1,000,000 to Wyoming as a game payout, and 5,000 or whatever number of Bison fans would not have to travel to Laramie. Chance for Gameday in Fargo again and nationwide ESPN audience. The payout is more than Wy probably makes on many of their home games, NDSU grosses 500,000 and doesn't have to travel. Seems to me this would require some FBS swallowing of pride but it would be a win-win. As to the opponent Wy was put in for discussion.
1. No one needs to give Wyoming national attention without earning it.
2. 15,000 at $100 is a stretch, at $50 maybe.
3. I would rather play Montana at the start of the year on ESPN when there is no football than bringing our ex-coach in to humiliate his new FBS team.
4. WY would never agree to it.

buffalobill
January 11th, 2014, 01:27 PM
1. No one needs to give Wyoming national attention without earning it.
2. 15,000 at $100 is a stretch, at $50 maybe.
3. I would rather play Montana at the start of the year on ESPN when there is no football than bringing our ex-coach in to humiliate his new FBS team.
4. WY would never agree to it.
This isn't designed for 2014 necessarily, Rocky brought a team back, how much does it cost per fan to travel to Laramie $500.00 to a grand guesstimate, and as for Kansas State probably no but Wyoming is nothing to brag about other than being FBS. This is the kind of thinking we need if we are going to stay in FCS.

centennial
January 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM
This isn't designed for 2014 necessarily, Rocky brought a team back, how much does it cost per fan to travel to Laramie $500.00 to a grand guesstimate, and Kansas State probably no but Wyoming is nothing to brag about other than FBS. This is the kind of thinking we need if we are going to stay in FCS.
Our interest lies in promoting the FCS, not giving WYO a cool million to come and play us in the Fargodome. Why can't we get strong FCS opponents to come to the Fargodome? I do agree that it would be an interesting game.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Wouldn't matter if you gave them 5 million. Wyoming would never agree to it and the Mountain West would likely throw a tantrum.

Mountain West teams generally consider themselves to be close to the level of the lower programs in the major conferences and as such will never want to go to a minor league location for a game.

No more than NDSU would travel to Wisconsin-Whitewater for $500k.

walliver
January 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM

I assume you mean "nets" $500,000.

Realistically, the only way this could work would be to schedule Idaho, and list it as an Idaho home game. Not many other FBS programs are that desperate.

If you want to buy a FBS home game, you generally are going to offer at least $800,000. And for the most part, very few FBS teams would even be receptive to the idea.

PaladinFan
January 15th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Let me know when an FBS school ever agrees to travel to an FCS school.

centennial
January 15th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Why would any team do that? Maybe a 2 for 1 with a top 10 FCS team and MAC, Sunbelt FBS. Cannot see it happening still.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 15th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Why would any team do that? Maybe a 2 for 1 with a top 10 FCS team and MAC, Sunbelt FBS. Cannot see it happening still.

I think all the FBS conferences now have a stiplation that will not allow their league members to schedule an away game with FCS schools. I think the Idaho-Montana series (5 games with Montana having 3 at home, 2 away) may have been what ended all that in the early 2000's.

Hard to believe but Montana even had the swag to get the upper hand against an FBS team as far as the H&H contract.

Haven't looked but I'm pretty sure even if Wyoming wanted to get a payday it would probably still not be worth what they might get from going to a BCS school and their conference woudn't allow it anyway.

Mattymc727
January 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I doubt ESPN would even want to cover it either. Sure, ND would go nuts over it, but the rest of the country doesn't care one bit about that game.

Bisonator
January 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM
First of all, it will never happen. And second of all it's a dumb idea anyway.

Bisonwinagn
January 15th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I doubt ESPN would even want to cover it either. Sure, ND would go nuts over it, but the rest of the country doesn't care one bit about that game.

NDSU fans could care less about this game as well and doesn't interest me at all. In fact playing Montana is better than any mid major FBS school.

grayghost06
January 17th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Ball State agreed to it. A home and home with Illinois St. Though it didn't come to fruition, it cost BSU $300k to get out of the deal.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-accepts-buyout-ball-state-won-t-visit-in/article_118999c4-1067-11e3-a25f-001a4bcf887a.html

Sader87
January 17th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Army is going to Yale next year but that's really sort of a unique situation.