PDA

View Full Version : In Defense of Harbaugh

Torero Fan
October 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I've been reading alot of criticism of Coach Jim Harbaugh's recent comments and his decisions in a blow out against Valpo, and thought I would lend a fresh perspective. Bottom line is that he is doing everything he can for his program and kids and is an asset to I-AA football generally.

First, "running up the score" against Valpo. While the final score was
68-7, the game ended up that way despite Harbaugh's efforts. The bottom line was, unfortunately, our second and third string kids were better than their whole team. Alot of you have criticized Harbaugh for going for it on 4th and goal with 4 minutes left in the game. Let me give you some perspective. Our 2nd and 3rd string linemen were in and a quarterback #3 on our depth chart. The play was an inside carry by our
4th string running back that has touched the ball all of twice this year. As they lined up to run the play, I wondered what I would do in that situation. Take a knee? That, to me, would be humiliating to Valpo. Kick a field goal? That to me, seems more like trying to run up the score more than just going for it. And so, Harbaugh ran the same play that Valpo had stuffed twice in a row before, and they did it again, turning back USD at the goal line. Probably, in the end, something for them to hang their hats on in an otherwise disastrous game. We also got the ball back with about 2 minutes left, same score, on the Valpo 28. In went our 5th string running back. We ran two of the exact plays that Valpo had just stuffed, and this guy miraculously pulls of two amazing runs to somehow get into the end zone. Did Harbaugh run those plays to run up the score? No way. He did it because this kid has not carried the ball once this year and because Harbaugh loves every single kid on that team. He was probably as shocked as we all were when the kid somehow got in the end zone.

Second, Harbaugh's comments about challenging SDSU I'm not sure if many of your teams share a market with a huge IA team like SDSU, that has probably 30 times more alumni in town than your school, but we do. It just so happens that this year, SDSU is one of the worst IA programs in the country. Nonetheless, they outdraw us 10 to 1, and get 10 times the media and print exposure. They haven't won all year, our IAA colleagues Cal Poly should beat them handily, and yet, they get the front page on the Sports section every week, while we're relegated to page 9. Harbaugh's comments got us on page 1. I guarantee you it fired up his kids and made them proud. I guarantee it will help with recruiting. I assure you his excited the alumni base and signaled to his AD where he wants his program to be. Bad things? I don't think so.

Third, Harbaugh's comments about being able to handle half the I-AA teams in the top 25. Again, he is trying to get there. He is trying to fire his kids up. He also, respectfully, has some IAA perspective. His dad was a pretty good, long-time I-AA coach and knows something about how good the best are. Harbaugh also knows he has a very challenging game with UCD at the end of this year, and wants his kids to know he believes they can win. Outrageous of him? Again, I don't think so.

Finally, Harbaugh's comments about Josh Johnson being the best junor quarterback in the country. To begin with, truth is a defense. If you have not seen this 6'3", 4.5, 360 dunking, laser accuracy, rocket arm of a kid, I can understand why you may have some doubts. He truly is the real deal and could play anywhere for anybody. He's also Harbaugh's guy. He's riding Johnson as far as he can take him, and wants to instill that confidence and belief in him and the rest of the team. He also, respectfully, knows something about quarterbacking at very high levels. It's not like Harbaugh is some high school coach that has never experienced a higher level of football. He does have a bit of perspective.

I know this is a bit of a novel, but the bottom line is that Harbaugh does what he does and says what he says because, first, he may be one of the most competitive guys on the planet. Truly. Second, he absolutely loves the kids on his team, and wants them to be the very best they can be. Third, respectfully, he didn't just fall off the turnip truck. He left the NFL coaching ranks to coach at USD and has 2 other guys with NFL coaching experience on his roster, including long-time NFL defensive coordinator Dave Adolph. Those guys know good football when they see it, and they see it at USD. I also have never seen or heard Harbaugh even remotely disespect any other team or its players, despite the fact that the PFL is no longer a good fit for the athletes he now has in the program.

I don't know if I've convinced any of you, and I'm sure one or more of you will answer, "Well when's Harbaugh leaving USD then?" I don't know the answer to that, but I know that if I were an AD, he'd be on my short list in a minute. And with that, the defense rests.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I've been reading alot of criticism of Coach Jim Harbaugh...

First, "running up the score" against Valpo.

Clearly - clearly - a FG was the right call. You honestly think that Harbaugh wasn't trying for the TD there?

Second, Harbaugh's comments about challenging SDSU Harbaugh's comments got us on page 1. I guarantee you it fired up his kids and made them proud. I guarantee it will help with recruiting. I assure you his excited the alumni base and signaled to his AD where he wants his program to be. Bad things? I don't think so.

If it makes himself and his program look silly in the eyes of I-A and I-AA, it helps nobody. Do you honestly beleive that one recruit will look at Harbaugh's comments and say that "Well, USD is for me over SDSU or any other school?" USD has lots of things going for it, not least that a former firey NFL QB is their head coach. But comments like that don't HELP, they HURT.

Third, Harbaugh's comments about being able to handle half the I-AA teams in the top 25. Again, he is trying to get there. He is trying to fire his kids up. He also, respectfully, has some IAA perspective. His dad was a pretty good, long-time I-AA coach and knows something about how good the best are. Harbaugh also knows he has a very challenging game with UCD at the end of this year, and wants his kids to know he believes they can win. Outrageous of him? Again, I don't think so.

So, it's OK for Harbaugh to just say anything because it fires up his team? I don't feel like he's treated the rest of I-AA with respect. Isn't the mere fact that he says his team could whoopass half the I-AA Top 25 in and of itself a lack of respect for the other teams?

Finally, Harbaugh's comments about Josh Johnson being the best junor quarterback in the country. ... blah blah blah cutting out unnecessary homer kissy-face stuff...

Again, it just shows a complete at utter lack of respect for the rest of I-AA. Perhaps a less biased reporter might ask Harbaugh the question: Compared, pray tell, to whom? Did you see the game films?

Harbaugh may be firing up his team. Harbaugh may be a good coach that can get his team to win. But he's making no friends thorughout I-AA or even in his own league in the process. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to have a respect for I-AA and other teams while still motivating your team.

DetroitFlyer
October 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Jim Harbaugh is a winner and should be a serious candidate for coach of the year! He has taken USD from an average team, to a superior team! I have not always been a fan of some of Jimbo's actions and decisions, but he is one heck of a coach! I cannot see him remaining at USD long. My feeling is that he jumps at the first I-A offer, no matter how bad the team. And you know what, that team will be a winner in short order. I would not be suprised if the folks at the other PFL teams are Emailing Jimbo's resume to every I-A program....xlolx

Death Dealer
October 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM
:lmao: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :dizzy: :lmao: :boring:
Jim Harbaugh is a winner and should be a serious candidate for coach of the year!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xidiotx :lmao: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :lmao: xlolx xlolx xlolx :eyebrow: :lmao:xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Torero Fan] I'm not sure if many of your teams share a market with a huge IA team like SDSU, that has probably 30 times more alumni in town than your school, but we do.
QUOTE]

Apparently you've never been to the southeast where 90% of the residents profess to be football fans and there are 85,000+ capacity stadiums every two hours.

We share markets.

putter
October 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Iowa did the same thing to us and for the same reasons. Those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string kids practice hard all week and they should get the opportunity when they get in there.

Harbaugh can say what he wants about SDSU because he is talking about his own backyard and needs to drum up support for his team.

Comments about 1/2 of top 25. Bad comment, period. He should have said something like I would like to see how we do against the top 25 teams in I-AA because I think we would do well. A quote that puts pressure on the AD to strengthen the schedule without disrespecting his I-AA comrades.

Harbaugh obviously knows QB talent being a pro QB. I didn't have a problem with that, however, see my previous comment about 1/2 of the top 25.

89Hen
October 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I've been reading alot of criticism of Coach Jim Harbaugh's recent comments and his decisions in a blow out against Valpo, and thought I would lend a fresh perspective. Bottom line is that he is doing everything he can for his program and kids and is an asset to I-AA football generally.
I strongly disagree with the last comment. An asset to I-AA is a coach who suceeds at I-AA and trumpets I-AA, not one that piles on points on weaker teams and then calls out I-A's. You really think JH is trumpeting I-AA when he makes comments like the one he made about beating half the teams in front of USD? He comes across as an A**hole in my book. I don't want him representing I-AA.

AppGuy04
October 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Not another one...........

Death Dealer
October 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Torero Fan] I'm not sure if many of your teams share a market with a huge IA team like SDSU, that has probably 30 times more alumni in town than your school, but we do.
QUOTE]

We share markets.

You can say that again 'dinFan! Try more like 90 times the fans. FU has to compete with Clemson and USC....most of whom's fans never even set foot on a college campus except for game day.xlolx As 'dinFan knows, we're the biggest FB program in G'vegas, and we still consistently get the footnote article on the bottom of the sports page. So, don't whine about your market, it's just part of the I-A bias.

89Hen
October 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
The sad thing is that they've managed to brainwash the San Diego area media...

"USD's goal is to achieve top-16 status in the division, which would bring with it reasonable expectation of a berth in the national playoff." - Hank Wesch: UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

What happens when they realize USD cannot and will not be in the playoffs? We'll have a ton of articles accusing the NCAA and I-AA of some sort of conspiracy against the Toreros. You still think JH is an asset to I-AA? : smh :

putter
October 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
The sad is that they've managed to brainwash the San Diego area media...

"USD's goal is to achieve top-16 status in the division, which would bring with it reasonable expectation of a berth in the national playoff." - Hank Wesch: UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

What happens when they realize USD cannot and will not be in the playoffs? We'll have a ton of articles accusing the NCAA and I-AA of some sort of conspiracy against the Toreros. You still think JH is an asset to I-AA? : smh :

And do they realize that even if they were ranked #16 in the polls that they still wouldn't make the playoffs?

SDFan
October 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
And do they realize that even if they were ranked #16 in the polls that they still wouldn't make the playoffs?

In all do respect Putter, a team not ranked could get an at large bid. Because of the Ivy's not partaking in playoffs and the 1aa's who transferred not being eligible, such as UC Davis.

putter
October 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
In all do respect Putter, a team not ranked could get an at large bid. Because of the Ivy's not partaking in playoffs and the 1aa's who transferred not being eligible, such as UC Davis.

But again, historically, the committee looks at overall strength of schedule when giving out at-large bids. There have been 10-1 and 9-2 teams that have been left out of the playoffs because the committee thought they did not play they type of schedule to get in. Similar to the NCAA basketball championships in that the ACC, Big East, etc. get 5-6 teams into the bracket and other conference winners with better records stay at home.

SDFan
October 16th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Oh, I know. I think that it would be very very tough for USD to get in the playoffs because of their schedule. But that's in large part due to the fact that they are in the PFL and 7 of their games have to come against conference opponents, who this year have not had great success against top 1AA teams. As i commented in my other post, USD is trapped in this cycle for at least a few years. I do wish that USD could join the conference with CalPoly though, each game would be competitive and extremely entertaining for the fans.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM
anyone else notice that a good deal of the posters on USD topics are from Montana, Furman, ASU, Deleware, etc.

I guess it is has started to offend the "traditional IAA teams"

DUPFLFan
October 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Paladin, its the same group that jumps on anyone who talks about the PFL getting into the playoffs.

I'm not going to defend San Diego and Harbaugh, but taking the low key approach hasn't worked, has it?

I think that they are using the BCS way of running the score up to get votes. Unless I am wrong, the starters were pulled when the score was 55-7.....

putter
October 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
anyone else notice that a good deal of the posters on USD topics are from Montana, Furman, ASU, Deleware, etc.

I guess it is has started to offend the "traditional IAA teams"

I wish San Diego the best and their success is good for I-AA because they can give more exposure in the San Diego area. I just want their fans to see the reality of the situation, that despite their success, a playoff at-large is an outside shot (not impossible). Since it is Wofford month on AGS, maybe their fans can explain what getting "Woofed" means....

Torero Fan
October 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Unless I am wrong, the starters were pulled when the score was 55-7.....

You're wrong DUPFL Fan. The only starters that played that deep were Johnson and our freshman cornerback that Adolph is still trying to get experience for. Starting running back JT Rogan was done at half time and mass platoons started early in the third quarter. Agree that Harbaugh probably left Josh in too long, however. Also agree that may have done it for stats given Payton watch thing. Game in Des Moines should be fun. Hope you guys sell out the stadium with the $1 thing. Also saw you moved the game to 7:00 thinking the weather will get to us. Should be an awesome showdown in the PFL.

89Hen
October 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Paladin, its the same group that jumps on anyone who talks about the PFL getting into the playoffs.

I'm not going to defend San Diego and Harbaugh, but taking the low key approach hasn't worked, has it?
Got anything to back up your first claim? :rolleyes:

As for your question... the low key, the loud key, the magic key... isn't going to work. There is an easy fomula for getting serious playoff consideration... schedule and beat playoff caliber teams. If Drake beat UNI and IllSt last year, they could have received a bid, anything short and no bid.

DetroitFlyer
October 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Are you kidding me...? The PFL has been a playoff eligible conference for 13 years. How many at large playoff bids during that time? ZERO!!!!! I applaud 100% virtually every piece of information published on USD this season. Just that fact that this message board is now almost anygivenusd.com, is great in my opinion. Some day, a PFL team will get into the playoffs, without having to walk on water, and perform far better than anyone expects. Until that time, I will be one of those folks that drives you old guard types crazy. By the way, here is a suggestion.... If you do not want to see all these posts on USD, quit responding to all of them!:hurray:

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
QUOTE]

Apparently you've never been to the southeast where 90% of the residents profess to be football fans and there are 85,000+ capacity stadiums every two hours.

We share markets.

To add to that here the High School Teams have stadiums in the 15,000 seat range and constantly sell out. Competition is everywhere around this area.

DUPFLFan
October 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Unless I am wrong, the starters were pulled when the score was 55-7.....
Also saw you moved the game to 7:00 thinking the weather will get to us. Should be an awesome showdown in the PFL.

Sorry - When I saw that Johnson scored the touchdown that made it 55-7 - I assumed the rest of the starters were in too. Usually a team doesn't have its starting QB in behind the reserve lineman...

As far as moving the game, usually the visiting team has the right to say no. This time was scheduled long ago...

See you on Saturday....

89Hen
October 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Are you kidding me...? The PFL has been a playoff eligible conference for 13 years. How many at large playoff bids during that time? ZERO!!!!!
That's proof of the weak scheduling and/or underperfomance of the PFL to date. Not of "the same group that jumps on anyone who talks about the PFL getting into the playoffs." xidiotx

SDFan
October 16th, 2006, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan]

To add to that here the High School Teams have stadiums in the 15,000 seat range and constantly sell out. Competition is everywhere around this area.

As Growing up in Texas, i will admit the South East may be one of the toughest places to sell out lower level football. But the reverse is true because everyone LOVES football there.

Southern California mentality is still burried deep in San Diego unfortunately.

Mike Johnson
October 16th, 2006, 03:51 PM

I think that they are using the BCS way of running the score up to get votes. Unless I am wrong, the starters were pulled when the score was 55-7.....

Three touchdowns were scored by three different backup running backs and one by a backup quaterback. It is true that the starting full back scored touchdowns both times he touched the ball and the starting half back scored three touchdowns (one receiving, one running, and one on special teams). All five of these touchdowns were in the first half and very few teams would take out their starters in the first half, but San Diego did for some of them.

The last two offensive plays for San Diego were the first two carries in college for one backup back and he took them 14 yards and 12 yards, respectively, the second for a touchdown.

That is hardly running up the score and far from taking out the starters when it was 55-7. Very few plays in the second half went to players on the starting line up.

BigApp
October 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM
:shakingmad: With all these San Diego threads, I certainly hope they finish undefeated, otherwise................you'll deserve every smack you'll get
:shakingmad:

MrTitleist
October 16th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Personally, I'd like to see San Diego venture into Washington-Grizzly and give 'em a smack in the mouth, then they can re-evaluate where they stand, then see if they have a leg to stand on with this playoff talk. Nothing like playing the best to prove you're one of the best.

Appstate29
October 16th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I think i've figured it out, if a guy has the name Torero in his username, its the same person, he just goes around and creates different accounts and starts useless threads with them...what an ingenious idea

wannabegaucho
October 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I'm going to get a USD avatar. I'm sick and tired of the UCSB Where's Football jokes.

San Diego is a different market than Georgia. I've read the Union-Tribune and the North Country Times. They do not care much about I-AA.

This guy made an intelligent, well-stated post yet it is being torn to shreds because of pre-determined biases in people.

I may make a lot of lame joke posts here but with this one I am serious. I'm tired of people slamming a fellow California program, especially in the post-St. Mary's day and age.

Torero Tradition
October 16th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I really wish St. Mary's would have never dropped football. How cool would it be if the WCC was a football conference as well?!?! Santa Clara is another school that I wish brought back football.

BigApp
October 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
how did this thread make it to Page 3??

The Cats
October 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Let him defend himself...... PLEASE

siugrad99
October 18th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Classless to go for it on 4th down I don't care what string of players is in the game. You either take a knee and turn it over on downs or try the field goal. Just shows that Harbaugh feels he has to run the score up on the weak sisters to make his team look good.

DetroitFlyer
October 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM
It has been widely agreed that USD's schedule will make it very difficult to garner an at large bid.... So, if you are Harbaugh what else can you do besides run up the score? I can just see the playoff committee discussion now:

Yeah, it sure was nice of Harbaugh to not run up the scores on his "weak" PFL opponents. So, we will ignore that he only defeated the teams by two touchdowns and award USD a bid....

Get real. Weather you like it or not, Harbaugh is doing his level best to position his team for an at large bid, given the cards he was dealt! You should all be so lucky to have a coach who is so focused on his and his teams ultimate goal. Especially given the long odds and discrimination that exists in I-AA for "Mid-Major" teams. Frankly, if you cannot understand that, especially after reading the gazillion negative comments concerning USD's chances of obtaining a bid on this message board, than I question your motives.

siugrad99
October 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Difference between being "focused" as you say and showing poor sportsmanship. What goes around comes around and I hope you don't forget your comments when USD plays one of the big boys and gets their @ss handed to them. I hope Jim understands when someone punches in a TD with a few minutes to go up 40 and see how it feels. The committee is not stupid and can tell if a team dominated or not. Do you honesty feel that extra 4 points is the difference between an at-large or not ? If so you need to be introduced to this thing called reality. Keep the playoff pipedream going and you keep believe that harbaugh is God and no matter what he does it is correct.

DetroitFlyer
October 18th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Come on, as I said get real. There are many things I do not like about Jim Harbaugh. I do not like some of the personal decisions and choices he has made.... But, I do respect him as a great football coach, doing his level best to help his team meet and exceed its goals! And guess what, I would take the bet today that if UCD or any other team spanked USD big time, you would not hear Harbaugh complain about the final score. Any takers?

Appstate29
October 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Running up the score, for playoff purposes is BS because right now USD has a date with UCD on the first weekend of the playoffs, making it impossible. So if you want to say he was running up the score because hes a jackass or because he wanted to give his players some experience, or because he wanted his backups to play and score (although most of them have gotten a chance this season) or because he has a personal vendetta or something, those would all be more valid reasons than to run up the score because of some phantom "playoff issue" which doesn't exist for USD

AggiePride
October 18th, 2006, 08:47 AM
It has been widely agreed that USD's schedule will make it very difficult to garner an at large bid.... So, if you are Harbaugh what else can you do besides run up the score? I can just see the playoff committee discussion now:

Yeah, it sure was nice of Harbaugh to not run up the scores on his "weak" PFL opponents. So, we will ignore that he only defeated the teams by two touchdowns and award USD a bid....

Get real. Weather you like it or not, Harbaugh is doing his level best to position his team for an at large bid, given the cards he was dealt! You should all be so lucky to have a coach who is so focused on his and his teams ultimate goal. Especially given the long odds and discrimination that exists in I-AA for "Mid-Major" teams. Frankly, if you cannot understand that, especially after reading the gazillion negative comments concerning USD's chances of obtaining a bid on this message board, than I question your motives.

Ok this is just getting stupid.

USD IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE PLAYOFFS.

I wish the best for the Toreros when they visit Davis DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF THE PLAYOFFS.

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM
It has been widely agreed that USD's schedule will make it very difficult to garner an at large bid.... So, if you are Harbaugh what else can you do besides run up the score?
:bang: :bang: :bang:

It has been widely agreed that USD cannot and will not get an at-large bid. So running up the score will do NOTHING. xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
October 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Of course they are "eligible". No one is going to the gas chamber if USD does not play in the Gridiron Classic or in the UCD game if they are invited to the playoffs. And, it has only been widely agreed by the old guard on this board that USD cannot obtain a bid to the playoffs.... The folks out in San Diego seem to hold a different view than most of you on this board....

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM
And, it has only been widely agreed by the old guard on this board that USD cannot obtain a bid to the playoffs.... The folks out in San Diego seem to hold a different view than most of you on this board....
Ohhh, those I-AA experts in San Diego. There are exactly three people who have propogated the notion that USD could get a playoff bid: Jim Hairball, Torero Tradition and you. The SD media has absolutely no clue about I-AA football and the playoffs. They are getting their info from the unrealistic folks at USD. C'mon Flyer, wake up.

BigApp
October 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM
And, it has only been widely agreed by the old guard on this board that USD cannot obtain a bid to the playoffs.... The folks out in San Diego seem to hold a different view than most of you on this board....

So, How does the "New Guard" propose those BCS busters from San Diego get into the playoffs when THEY ALREADY HAVE A POSTSEASON GAME SCHEDULED!

I like San Diego, really, I like San Diego...such a nice place. San Diego.

DetroitFlyer
October 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Maybe, just maybe, schedules can be altered or changed.... Wow, what a novel concept............

89Hen
October 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Maybe, just maybe, schedules can be altered or changed.... Wow, what a novel concept............
xlolx

Now for another scene from 'As the Torero Turns' :rotateh: ...

SD Backer: "USD can't play better teams in the upcoming years because they have contracts with other teams 3-5 years in advance."

Realist: "Well, what about the Gridiron Classic and game with UC Davis this year getting in the way of a farcical playoff bid?"

SD Backer: "Oh, we can break those contracts."

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM
So, How does the "New Guard" propose those BCS busters from San Diego get into the playoffs when THEY ALREADY HAVE A POSTSEASON GAME SCHEDULED!

I like San Diego, really, I like San Diego...such a nice place. San Diego.

Yes - San Diego is beautiful. One of the most beautiful places in the world - you should see the USD football team play too. They are beautiful to watch as well.

GOTOREROS

BigApp
October 18th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Well, I did watch your team. against Davidson. Matter of factly, I started a whole thread on it...it was nuked.

After watching you, I would LOOOOOOOOOOVE to see you in Boone the
1st Saturday after Thanksgiving.

2-3 inches of ice...40 mph winds...gray skies...snow flurries...20 degrees at gametime...

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Does anyone else refer to SDU as Stay Classy U or Whale's Vagina U in honor of Anchorman? Maybe it's just me.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Does anyone else refer to SDU as Stay Classy U or Whale's Vagina U in honor of Anchorman? Maybe it's just me.

Actually there is no such thing as "SDU" - it's "USD" or "San Diego". I'm sure that "ASU" fans don't refer to their school as "SAU" or some other variation.....just a head's up. Thanks.

www.usdtoreros.com

www.sandiego.edu

GOTOREROS

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Actually there is no such thing as "SDU" - it's "USD" or "San Diego". I'm sure that "ASU" fans don't refer to their school as "SAU" or some other variation.....just a head's up. Thanks.

www.usdtoreros.com

www.sandiego.edu

GOTOREROS

So.... is that a yes? I don't refer to them as USD or SDU to be honest. Like I said, I call them Stay Classy University. Thanks for the lesson though.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM
So.... is that a yes? I don't refer to them as USD or SDU to be honest. Like I said, I call them Stay Classy University. Thanks for the lesson though.

You said "SDU" in your post so it would seem you were referring to "USD", or did you fingers simply hit the wrong keys. Dyslexia sucks...do I need to "quote" you again?

By the way, who do the "Sun Devils" play this week?????? xidiotx

GOTOREROS

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Sucks Dyslexia, yes. I actually do have that but you couldn't have known so I take no offense.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Sucks Dyslexia, yes. I actually do have that but you couldn't have known so I take no offense.

Funny how it seems the dyslexia only comes out when you refer to San Diego though...:confused:

I haven't seen you refer to "ASU" as "USA" or some other variation....very interesting - good luck and hope everything works out for you.

GOTOREROS

siugrad99
October 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Backwards apology by GT it sounds like to me.

siugrad99
October 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
1 month from now when San Diego is @ UC Davis and the rest of the 16 deserving teams are in the playoffs maybe THEN these trolls will go away. Funny how a Dayton fan is so defensive over USD. I wouldn't call Harbaugh a "Great Coach" 1-2 years of success doesn't make you a Hall of Famer. Fact is he ran up the score on a weak sister and showed NO CLASS by not kicking the field goal with less than 4 minutes to go and a 50 yes 50 point lead. It was a 4TH AND 1 it was not like they just ran it in from 20 yards out on 2nd down. Put down the USD Kool Aid for a minute and join reality.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
1 month from now when San Diego is @ UC Davis and the rest of the 16 deserving teams are in the playoffs maybe THEN these trolls will go away. Funny how a Dayton fan is so defensive over USD. I wouldn't call Harbaugh a "Great Coach" 1-2 years of success doesn't make you a Hall of Famer. Fact is he ran up the score on a weak sister and showed NO CLASS by not kicking the field goal with less than 4 minutes to go and a 50 yes 50 point lead. It was a 4TH AND 1 it was not like they just ran it in from 20 yards out on 2nd down. Put down the USD Kool Aid for a minute and join reality.

Why not reward 2nd, and 3rd string kids with the chance for a touchdown? They practice hard all week like the starters - why not let them enjoy the chance to score a TD? The last 2 touchdown were with 2nd and 3rd teams - check the boxscore...first string was out after the third quarter. I don't know too many teams that take the starters out before the third quarter? 60 guys participated for USD against Valpo...

Click on this link for the play by play report if you'd like to see for yourself...http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/valpo.html#GAME.PLY

GOTOREROS

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Backwards apology by GT it sounds like to me.

Yeah, apparently I'm supposed to sound like Yoda or something with the way I type. This must be something that happens a lot so they're sensitive to it. Like a lot of people here will say Eastern Carolina instead of East Carolina and that really rubs their grads the wrong way.

Stay Classy.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah, apparently I'm supposed to sound like Yoda or something with the way I type. This must be something that happens a lot so they're sensitive to it. Like a lot of people here will say Eastern Carolina instead of East Carolina and that really rubs their grads the wrong way.

Stay Classy.

I guess it's too difficult for you to refer to a school name correctly? If you want we can sling insults back and forth regarding each others schools - but I figure that is pointless...unless you are simply "trolling" along the internet. :nonono2:

GOTOREROS

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I guess it's too difficult for you to refer to a school name correctly? If you want we can sling insults back and forth regarding each others schools - but I figure that is pointless...unless you are simply "trolling" along the internet. :nonono2:

GOTOREROS

How did I insult your school? Explain that to me.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM
How did I insult your school? Explain that to me.

All my initial response to you was that we are referred to as "USD" or "San Diego" not "SDU" as you wrote - to which you responded that you you refer to my school as neither, instead "Stay Classy University" even though you typed "SDU".

My point is that I could call ASU "Hillbilly State University" and what's the point? We can trade insults/"smack"/etc. or we can talk football, personally I would rather talk about football...you have a great program let's hear about your chances for another title.

GOTOREROS

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Agreed. We are in a pointless debate. It certainly wasn't my intention when I posted to get things off track. My fault.

As for App's chances, I believe we are a shoo-in for the playoffs and once those begin it is anyone's game as proven by JMU a couple of years ago.

It is unfortunate that San Diego can't be considered for the playoffs this season. Harbaugh has done a lot with that program by taking them out of relative obscurity. Hopefully they will be able to schedule some stronger teams in the coming years so they will be able to prove their worth on the field rather than having to speculate about it.

GOTOREROS
October 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Agreed. We are in a pointless debate. It certainly wasn't my intention when I posted to get things off track. My fault.

As for App's chances, I believe we are a shoo-in for the playoffs and once those begin it is anyone's game as proven by JMU a couple of years ago.

It is unfortunate that San Diego can't be considered for the playoffs this season. Harbaugh has done a lot with that program by taking them out of relative obscurity. Hopefully they will be able to schedule some stronger teams in the coming years so they will be able to prove their worth on the field rather than having to speculate about it.

I agree about our chances 100% - we will not be in the playoffs. I am happy with just being able to elevate awareness of our program. We have a LONG way to go before beating larger I-AA programs. I am realistic in that this years team is the foundation for hopefully better teams down the road. Playing UC Davis could be ugly - we have talent but not depth and that is our biggest hurdle. Could we keep it close for a quarter or two - sure, but then we would begin to wear down...

My fear is that Harbaugh leaves after this year and we take a step back - that would really suck...

GOTOREROS

putter
October 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I agree about our chances 100% - we will not be in the playoffs. I am happy with just being able to elevate awareness of our program. We have a LONG way to go before beating larger I-AA programs. I am realistic in that this years team is the foundation for hopefully better teams down the road. Playing UC Davis could be ugly - we have talent but not depth and that is our biggest hurdle. Could we keep it close for a quarter or two - sure, but then we would begin to wear down...

My fear is that Harbaugh leaves after this year and we take a step back - that would really suck...

GOTOREROS

That is exactly what I hope happens. Baby steps. Getting national exposure is the first step and you are doing that. Hopefully Harbaugh pushes for better teams in OOC and, if you continue to win, you will find your team in the playoffs. :thumbsup:

B&G
October 18th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Reminds me of App in basketball when we had Buzz Peterson. The program looked so promising but he left for Tulsa and we haven't been good since. I think San Diego will surprise some people against UC-Davis. I don't expect a win but I do think they will keep it to within two touchdowns. They might even give Davis a scare.