PDA

View Full Version : Question for SoCon fans...

AppGuy04
October 16th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Has a freshman ever won the Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year?

Gary Tharrington(Freshman) of ASU currently leads the league in tackles for loss with 11, and is 2nd in sacks with 5.

His competition seems to be his own teammate, Marques Murrell who has 9 tackles for loss and leads the league with 6 sacks. Also, Chad NKang leads the league with 11.2 tackles per game and is tied with Murrell with 9 tackles for loss.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I don't know about the history, but I doubt a freshman would win that award this year. There are too many good uperclassmen defensive players.

AppGuy04
October 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I don't know about the history, but I doubt a freshman would win that award this year. There are too many good uperclassmen defensive players.

The stats show he is right up there though, you can't really argue that he should be a top candidate

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Has a freshman ever won the Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year?

Gary Tharrington(Freshman) of ASU currently leads the league in tackles for loss with 11, and is 2nd in sacks with 5.

His competition seems to be his own teammate, Marques Murrell who has 9 tackles for loss and leads the league with 6 sacks. Also, Chad Nkang leads the league with 11.2 tackles per game and is tied with Murrell with 9 tackles for loss.
So we base the defensive player of the year award on two stats — tackles for loss and sack? The reason that Tharrington has more than Murrell is because opponents are scheming Murrell. You must set up your blocking schemes with Murrell in mind, so he doesn't disrupt the offense. At this point he is more dangerous that Tharrington, though for a freshman, Tharrington is having a great year. To answer your original question, no a SoCon freshman has never been defensive player of the year and it won't happen this year. Coaches know who are the toughest guys to stop and I see Tharrington probably being a second-team All-conference type of player this season.

By the way, the defensive coordinator for App State, John Wiley, regularly says that Jeremy Wiggins is the best player on his defense, not Murrell, not Tharrington, not even Corey Lynch. Lynch and Murrell may be All-Americans, but Wiley thinks Wiggins is his best player. Wiggins has five interceptions and two fumble recoveries this year (not to dwell too much on stats) and has a reputation as the hardest hitter in the league.

Nkang, in the view of a lot of people, is a bit overrated. He is a great player and makes a lot of tackles, but would he look so dominant, if he were playing on a better defense? The key thing for a defense is to not give up points and to find a way to help your team win. I like Georgia Southern linebacker John Mohring better than Nkang. I think Mohring is more of a playmaker

AppGuy04
October 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM
So we base the defensive player of the year award on two stats — tackles for loss and sack? The reason that Tharrington has more than Murrell is because opponents are scheming Murrell. You must set up your blocking schemes with Murrell in mind, so he doesn't disrupt the offense. At this point he is more dangerous that Tharrington, though for a freshman, Tharrington is having a great year. To answer your original question, no a SoCon freshman has never been defensive player of the year and it won't happen this year. Coaches know who are the toughest guys to stop and I see Tharrington probably being a second-team All-conference type of player this season.

By the way, the defensive coordinator for App State, John Wiley, regularly says that Jereme Wiggins is the best player on his defense, not Murrell, not Tharrington, not even Corey Lynch. Lynch and Murrell may be All-Americans, but Wiley thinks Wiggins is his best player. Wiggins has five interceptions and two fumble recoveries this year (not to dwell too much on stats) and has a reputation as the hardest hitter in the league.

Nkang, in the view of a lot of people, is a bit overrated. He is a great player and makes a lot of tackles, but would he look so dominant, if he were playing on a better defense? The key thing for a defense is to not give up points and to find a way to help your team win. I like Georgia Southern linebacker John Mohring better than Nkang. I think Mohring is more of a playmaker

Thanks C, I was just looking at the stats and it jumped out at me, so thought I would ask

So your Defensive POY would be Murrell??

B&G
October 16th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Tharrington probably won't win the Defensive Player of the Year on his own team. Hell, he won't win Freshman of the Year on his own team either.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks C, I was just looking at the stats and it jumped out at me, so thought I would ask

So your Defensive POY would be Murrell??
I'd go with Wiggins, though the school goes out of its way to promote Murrell, because it is trying to win him a Buchanan Award. There are some great players on ASU's defense, Murrell, Wiggins, Lynch, Tharrington and many more.

SoCon48
October 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I'd go with Wiggins, though the school goes out of its way to promote Murrell, because it is trying to win him a Buchanan Award. There are some great players on ASU's defense, Murrell, Wiggins, Lynch, Tharrington and many more.

I'd go with Wiggins, though the school goes out of its way to promote Murrell, because it is trying to win him a Buchanan Award
If he gets the Buchanan, it will be because he earned it.

Baldy
October 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Though he would never get it in a million years, my homer pick is Mohring.
Being he's only played in 5 games as opposed to Murrell and Tharrington's 7, he actually leads in TFL category with 8.5/1.70 per game. Murrell is 1.29 per game and Tharrington is 1.57.

There is little doubt that he is the most dynamic defensive playmaker in the conference. Watching him play opposite from Nkang only made it more clear. Nkang is a solid fundamentally sound player, but he lacks (by a wide margin) the explosiveness Mohring has. John won't be the SoCon defensive POY, and he won't win the Buchannan, but his reward will be a nice career in the NFL.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I'd go with Wiggins, though the school goes out of its way to promote Murrell, because it is trying to win him a Buchanan Award
If he gets the Buchanan, it will be because he earned it.
J, not saying that he wouldn't EARN it. Just saying that the school has been very active in marketing Murrell instead of Wiggins or Lynch. They figured it would be easier to promote Murrell, because he is a defensive end and will get those big stat numbers, like sacks and tackles for loss. Even though Marques is a great player and a real nice kid (always is incredibly accessable), the school has very obviously promoted him at the expense of other players. Jason Hunter should have been the guy getting the majority of the publicity last year, but the folks at ASU were setting Murrell up for a Buchanan run this year. John Wiley says Jeremy Wiggins is his best player, but the school didn't even actively promote him as an All-American last season. If you don't think that marketing and name-recognition isn't a big part of the Buchanan and Payton Awards, it's only because you haven't been exposed to the PR campaigns that those of us who are voters for those awards have. Marques Murrell will most likely be on my Buchanan Award ballot and Wiggins probably will be too, but the awards don't always go to the most deserving candidates. A lot of times they go to the candidate who is marketed the best.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Being he's only played in 5 games as opposed to Murrell and Tharrington's 7, he actually leads in TFL category with 8.5/1.70 per game. Murrell is 1.29 per game and Tharrington is 1.57.

There is little doubt that he is the most dynamic defensive playmaker in the conference. Watching him play opposite from Nkang only made it more clear. Nkang is a solid fundamentally sound player, but he lacks (by a wide margin) the explosiveness Mohring has. John won't be the SoCon defensive POY, and he won't win the Buchanan, but his reward will be a nice career in the NFL.
I've felt for two years that John Mohring is the best linebacker in the SoCon. I have always like the heart the guy plays with and the effort he puts into everything. He made a huge impression on fans from App State and Georgia Southern with how well he played in that game last year in Boone. He broke Richie Williams' long string of passes without throwing an interception and I'll always remember that fake punt he pulled off. Great, great player. Ralph can tell you how hard I have battled to make sure Mohring has been on our All-American teams.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I bet I could rack up a fair number of tackles against GWU and Mars Hill too.

Top defensive players in SoCon are, IMO: Nkang, Ravenell, Morhing, Murrell, Wiggins, Lynch, Jones.

The DPOY will be one of those guys.

Baldy
October 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I've felt for two years that John Mohring is the best linebacker in the SoCon. I have always like the heart the guy plays with and the effort he puts into everything. He made a huge impression on fans from App State and Georgia Southern with how well he played in that game last year in Boone. He broke Richie Williams' long string of passes without throwing an interception and I'll always remember that fake punt he pulled off. Great, great player. Ralph can tell you how hard I have battled to make sure Mohring has been on our All-American teams.
Ahhhh we agree on something. xlolx

I know I'm biased, but I haven't seen a LB in the SoCon as good as John in years...since maybe Coakley. I know the Furmans will raise mortal hell, but he's much better than William Freeman ever was.

Mohring makes a play at least once a game that sends a chill up your spine, but when he ran down and tackled a streaking Mike Malone in Cullowhee a couple of weeks ago, I then realized that he will probably (IMO) be the best pro we have ever sent to the NFL.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM

I know I'm biased, but I haven't seen a LB in the SoCon as good as John in years...since maybe Coakley. I know the Furmans will raise mortal hell, but he's much better than William Freeman ever was.

Mohring makes a play at least once a game that sends a chill up your spine, but when he ran down and tackled a streaking Mike Malone in Cullowhee a couple of weeks ago, I then realized that he will probably (IMO) be the best pro we have ever sent to the NFL.
I just hope someone gives Mohring a legitimate shot at the NFL and isn't put off by his lack of size. There has to be a place somewhere for someone who plays with so much heart. I can tell you that John is one of Jerry Moore's favorite players. He goes on and on about Mohring.

On SoCon linebackers, there have been some good ones. Furman has been LBU (remember Orlando Ruff and Will Bouton) and App State has had some great ones, too. Chattanooga had a kid (can't remember his name right now and I'm away from home and my references) who was great and made all sorts of plays on a 1-10 team. Mohring is definitely in the mix

ChiefGSU275
October 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
One thing in Mohring's favor is that he has a connection to the NFL through his position coach and Defensive Coordinator ;-)

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I won't raise mortal hell, but that is an incredibly stupid comment.

Freeman was a heckuva linebacker. Comparing one to the other isn't really applicable as they both were very good players on pretty bad defenses last year. However, calling Morhing far better than Freeman ever was is just a little left of insane. Willy Free was a giant and fast to boot. Neither of them were near the calibre of Mike Killian though, who undoubtedly would have been drafted had he not broken his leg.

Mr. C is right, Furman most definitely is "linebacker U." We are going to be stacked at that position for a good long while.

Appdad
October 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM

There is little doubt that he is the most dynamic defensive playmaker in the conference. Watching him play opposite from Nkang only made it more clear. Nkang is a solid fundamentally sound player, but he lacks (by a wide margin) the explosiveness Mohring has. John won't be the SoCon defensive POY, and he won't win the Buchannan, but his reward will be a nice career in the NFL.

Mohring is a STUD!

soweagle
October 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM
If Furman is LBU then App must be DEU. Jerry Moore amazes me with his ability to find or develop good defensive ends every single year.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Chattanooga had a kid (can't remember his name right now and I'm away from home and my references) who was great and made all sorts of plays on a 1-10 team.

Josh Cain.

(actually, 2-10 :) ...it isn't much, but the Mocs can say they have at least won 2 games a season for the last 82 years)

ElonPride
October 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Considering that Nkang moved over from fullback.....his numbers are pretty staggering. I've seen him play against most of the better LBs in the league. He is the fastest I've seen in our league the last 2 seasons. That guy moves to the ball like it's no one's business.

straightshooter
October 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Mohring's future might be at strong safety in the NFL. He is very similar to John Lynch in size and speed. He even looks like Lynch. Mohring is a true 4.5 guy at around 220 pounds, and he's got a mean streak when it comes to hitting people.

VanGorder is really working with him on understanding the game and on his technique. The defense VanGorder runs is an NFL type scheme. It is hard to comprehend, because it is complicated. He says that playing LB for him is extremely difficult because he makes the position very demanding.

Fortunately the more GSU plays the scheme, the better they will understand it.

One thing is for sure. If VanGorder thinks he can make it at the next level, he will make a few calls. He's got connections up there.

Baldy
October 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I just hope someone gives Mohring a legitimate shot at the NFL and isn't put off by his lack of size. There has to be a place somewhere for someone who plays with so much heart. I can tell you that John is one of Jerry Moore's favorite players. He goes on and on about Mohring.
Mohring is the prototypical size for an NFL safety. If John Lynch were cloned, his offspring would be John Mohring. :D

Baldy
October 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Freeman was a heckuva linebacker. Comparing one to the other isn't really applicable as they both were very good players on pretty bad defenses last year. However, calling Morhing far better than Freeman ever was is just a little left of insane. Willy Free was a giant and fast to boot. Neither of them were near the calibre of Mike Killian though, who undoubtedly would have been drafted had he not broken his leg.
To me, the difference between Mohring and Freeman or Nkang or Killian or anyone else I've seen is that you had to look for those other players on the field. You don't need to look for Mohring, your eyes will automatically find him. The only other player I can think in recent memory who "stuck out" like that would be Jason Hunter. Great LB's all, but I can't remember one in recent memory who can match John's intensity or explosiveness. As I said, he's not as fundamentally "polished" as Freeman or Killian or Nkang (it looks as though he misses more tackles than he makes), but from what I saw out of those players, none of them could/can explode to the ball and make a play like Mohring can.

:twocents:

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
...and that makes him clear and away better than they ever were? xidiotx

Personally, I'd rather have a linebacker make tackles than fly through their guns blazing and miss them.

FUwolfpacker
October 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I don't think Mohring was far and away better than Freeman, but I do agree Mohring is more explosive than Free was. Let's be honest, there's a little bit of homer in all of us. Mohring is a very, very good player, but so was Freeman.

Maybe I'm crazy here, but I think Mohring and Andrew Jones from Furman compare pretty well. Both are undersized but explosive, and both are rock solid for our defenses.

There's a lot of talent on defense in the SoCon this year with Murrell, Mohring, Jones, Nkang, Wiggins, Lynch, Tharrington, Ravenell, etc. So, getting back to the original point of this post....no, I don't think a freshman will win the DPOY, but you never know.

Baldy
October 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM
...and that makes him clear and away better than they ever were?
Not sure about your verbage, but yeah IMO Mohring is better.

Personally, I'd rather have a linebacker make tackles than fly through their guns blazing and miss them.
Me too, but Mohring doesn't "fly through there, guns blazing...." John might miss some tackles, but his explosiveness also disrupts offenses allowing his teammates to make plays.

Blue
October 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'd take Mohring over any linebacker I've seen in the SoCon since we joined the conference with only one exception (Dexter Coakley).

Mohring is that good IMO.

He's a 'dayem did you see that' player like AP was when he was running up anmd down the field at Paulson.

John Mohring Rocks!

seantaylor
October 17th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Mohring reminds me of Adam Archuletta just as much as he reminds me of Lynch. He is as talented a player as their is in 1AA.

Mr. C
October 17th, 2006, 12:25 AM
If Furman is LBU then App must be DEU. Jerry Moore amazes me with his ability to find or develop good defensive ends every single year.
It has been that way since Sparky Woods recruited a fellow named Avery Hall from down in Georgia. Hall wanted to go to Georgia Tech, but ended up at App State. The Mountaineers have had a string of All-Americans at the position, almost unbroken, ever since.