PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 I-AA RBs for 2007 Draft

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Top 10 running backs. Keep in mind, these lists are pretty much based off of heading into the season, regardless of them saying they were updated yesterday. I'd say there's definitely some guys that need to be on the top 25 that aren't there (i.e SHSU's DD Terry), but he's not even found in the database at this point. This is just for fun and I am trying to encourage discussion on I-AA draft-eligible players considering it seems I-AA players are really making a name for themselves in the draft and then in the league itself (i.e NO Saints WR Marques Colston)...

1 Banks, Alvin James Madison 3-4 5-11 225 4.56
2 Coleman, Alonzo Hampton 5-6 5-10 205 4.42
3 Dawson, Clifton Harvard 6-7 5-10 210 4.48
4 Kuuan, Ab Grambling State 7-FA 5-10 228 4.59
5 Cole, Ryan Eastern Washington 6-0 230 4.65
6 Baylark, Steve Massachusetts 5-11 222 4.65
7 Prydatko, James Fordham 6-2 212 4.58
8 Rembert, Pierre Illinois State 6-0 210 4.58
9 Pittman, Jamal Jackson State 6-2 240 4.68
10 Baker, DeShawn South Carolina State 6-1 225 4.64

smallcollegefbfan
October 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Jamal Pittman is a FB, not RB.

Banks and Cole are both overrated.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Banks & Dawson are overrated. In terms of a college RB, I'd take Baylark over either of them in a heartbeat.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Dawson is overrated? What planet did you drop off from? Dawson is terrific as both a runner (inside and out) and is a great receiver, too. You saw how valauble he was to Harvard last season when he was playing all year with a lot of injuries. They are not anywhere near as effective as when Dawson is healthy. Dawson already has 12 TDs in five games and is ranked fifth in NCAA rushing, with 137 yards per game. That sounds real overrated. Is this really just an A-10 fan putting down the Ivy League again?

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Dawson is obviously a good back with great stats, but when you are comparing players you have to look beyond the stats. I just don't think Dawson is better than some of the players he is ranked ahead of. Playing an IL schedule and never playing against the best defenses in 1AA makes him suspect. Do you seriously think he'd get 139yds against the UMass D? I don't and that is part of the reason why I think he's a little overrated here, he is also a bit small.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM
It always come downs to how he would do against UMass, doesn't it? Why doesn't UMass schedule a game against Harvard and we can see just how good the Crimson is? I remember the same type of smack being spoken by Northeastern fans a few years back when they had a pretty good team under Don Brown. Then they played Harvard and got popped (saw that game on TV and it wasn't anywhere as close as the score, Northeastern has to score a bunch late to make it look more repsectable).

Dawson is a GREAT back. I would rank him No. 1 or 2 in I-AA, right along Arkee Whitlock. No, Harvard doesn't play an A-10 schedule, but the Crimson is a very good team and Dawson is the star player, deservingly so. The people I've talked to say Dawson is a pro-caliber player. He will get a shot at the NFL and has already been drafted by the CFL's Toronto Argonauts. Being Canadian, he could make a lot of money as a star in the CFL. Dawson is also likely to be a top-five vote-getter for the Payton Award. You say he is small, but is 5-10, 210 really that little for a running back? He has always been very effective between the tackles when I've seen him play.

jmuroller
October 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Banks & Dawson are overrated. In terms of a college RB, I'd take Baylark over either of them in a heartbeat.

What part of "NFL" prospect don't you understand. Banks doesn't get alot of hype because he shares the load with others. He has the size, speed, and most importantly the ability to play in the NFL.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM
There was talk a while ago of Jerome Felton coming out. I don't see it happening, but I know the Steelers come and watch him play regularly.

umassfan
October 16th, 2006, 04:54 PM
It always come downs to how he would do against UMass, doesn't it? Why doesn't UMass schedule a game against Harvard and we can see just how good the Crimson is? I remember the same type of smack being spoken by Northeastern fans a few years back when they had a pretty good team under Don Brown. Then they played Harvard and got popped (saw that game on TV and it wasn't anywhere as close as the score, Northeastern has to score a bunch late to make it look more repsectable).

Dawson is a GREAT back. I would rank him No. 1 or 2 in I-AA, right along Arkee Whitlock. No, Harvard doesn't play an A-10 schedule, but the Crimson is a very good team and Dawson is the star player, deservingly so. The people I've talked to say Dawson is a pro-caliber player. He will get a shot at the NFL and has already been drafted by the CFL's Toronto Argonauts. Being Canadian, he could make a lot of money as a star in the CFL. Dawson is also likely to be a top-five vote-getter for the Payton Award. You say he is small, but is 5-10, 210 really that little for a running back? He has always been very effective between the tackles when I've seen him play.
Why dont you call Harvard and tell them to schedule us. We would gladly play Harvard. They just dont want to play us.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Why dont you call Harvard and tell them to schedule us. We would gladly play Harvard. They just dont want to play us.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Anytime Harvard wants some they are more then welcome to it. Fact is they don't want UMass and I frankly don't blame them. But if you want to be considered the best RB in 1AA it would be useful if your team was willing to play against Maine, UNH, UMass etc.

blukeys
October 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM
As far as Pro Propects, I would rank them

Dawson
Blaylark
Banks

Both Blaylark and Banks are great power backs who can pound the ball. Having seen both I think Blaylark is a little faster and would give him an edge in the NFL.

I have been truly impressed by Dawson for the last couple of years. The NFL as a rule prefers game breaking backs such as Westbrook, Barber, Faulk etc. to the pounders (think GSU's Adrian Peterson) and Dawson, I believe, has that type of potential. Dawson is also the best cut back runner of this group which is another NFL consideration.

While the Ivies don't like to schedule A-10 teams, they do own the Patriot teams. Some of those PL teams have given certain A-10 teams problems in the recent past.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I didn't know Illinois State had much of a running back. Always hear about Drone and the passing attack.

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2006, 08:08 AM
just an FYI, fullbacks and half/tailbacks are both considered running backs.

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Banks is a good back, but he gets hurt a lot. The difference in hits from college to the pros is so dramatic, I don't think he could take it. I think he'll be a free agent pick-up.

GannonFan
October 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I agree, Banks's propensity for injury would not bode well for the NFL. I can't see him being able to survive in the NFL.

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I didn't know Illinois State had much of a running back. Always hear about Drone and the passing attack.
Rembert is a good running back(about 5 yds/carry). Arkee Whitlock is better(6+yards/carry) and more likely to be playing on Sundays next year.

BillLuc1982
November 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
What about Marcus Mason?

By the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYyCSlPjq0

mikebigg
November 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Top 10 running backs. Keep in mind, these lists are pretty much based off of heading into the season, regardless of them saying they were updated yesterday. I'd say there's definitely some guys that need to be on the top 25 that aren't there (i.e SHSU's DD Terry), but he's not even found in the database at this point. This is just for fun and I am trying to encourage discussion on I-AA draft-eligible players considering it seems I-AA players are really making a name for themselves in the draft and then in the league itself (i.e NO Saints WR Marques Colston)...

1 Banks, Alvin James Madison 3-4 5-11 225 4.56
2 Coleman, Alonzo Hampton 5-6 5-10 205 4.42
3 Dawson, Clifton Harvard 6-7 5-10 210 4.48
4 Kuuan, Ab Grambling State 7-FA 5-10 228 4.59
5 Cole, Ryan Eastern Washington 6-0 230 4.65
6 Baylark, Steve Massachusetts 5-11 222 4.65
7 Prydatko, James Fordham 6-2 212 4.58
8 Rembert, Pierre Illinois State 6-0 210 4.58
9 Pittman, Jamal Jackson State 6-2 240 4.68
10 Baker, DeShawn South Carolina State 6-1 225 4.64

Poor kid, got caught with a Coach who is stubbornly trying to replicate last year's offensive machine. Should have been the focus of the team and we would probably have a winning season.

Peems
November 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
where do you think hilliard would have been had he not been injured?

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Top 4 IMO

Daved
November 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I didn't know Illinois State had much of a running back. Always hear about Drone and the passing attack.I think their running back Rembert played in the Rose Bowl before.I think he is a transfer from Michigan.Also before the YSU game he was averaging 146yds per game which was 3rd in 1-AA at the time.I truly expected him to get at least 250 against us (after our UNI debacle) but we were the only ones so far that stopped him as he got 11yds. on 14 carries.

Daved
November 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
What about Marcus Mason?

By the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYyCSlPjq0My opinion may be a bit biased but I truly believe he is the best in !-AA.He's never really been stopped yet this year and possesses outstanding football instincts.

BillLuc1982
November 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM
My opinion may be a bit biased but I truly believe he is the best in !-AA.He's never really been stopped yet this year and possesses outstanding football instincts.

Very humble guy, too. Even though he had a great performance vs. UNI, he is much more satisified with a win. He didn't point fingers and is an excellent team player!

FlyYtown
November 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Did We All Forget: One of the LEADING Candidates for THE Payton Award???

MARCUS MASON
http://ysusports.com/football/mason/mason-payton.jpg (http://www.ysusports.com/football/mason/mason.swf)

But I won't lie; I think his size will hold him back from the pro's.....

PenguinPride23
November 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
5'9 215? That's about ideal nowadays in the NFL.

edit: What has the greatest chance of holding him back is the usual culprit; the speed of NFL defenses, and the fact he won't be the quickest guy on the field.

NDSUFREAK
November 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
You are forgetting the toughest RB in 1AA.....and that is Kyle Steffes. He may not bust through very much, but he will never quit until the whistle has blown twice.
(This is against Minnesota and he rushed for over 100 yards against a 1A Big Ten Defense)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyEZt52ogEw&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMylMSd8IcY&mode=related&search=

kats89
November 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Where do you think DD Terry would be next year if he had one more year?

FuturePenguin
November 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I think if you look at Mason's stats, they speak for themselves. He plays with heart, and you don't see alot of that anymore. If there is a back in 1aa who could make it in the pro's, its Marcus Mason. He may not be the biggest back, but he fights for every yard he gains, and if he turns a corner, look out.