PDA

View Full Version : Sean McDonnell to UMass?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I'm as stunned as you are.

http://dailycollegiansports.com/2014/01/08/source-unh-football-coach-sean-mcdonnell-to-meet-with-umass-about-head-coaching-position/

Bogus Megapardus
January 8th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I'm as stunned as you are.

http://dailycollegiansports.com/2014/01/08/source-unh-football-coach-sean-mcdonnell-to-meet-with-umass-about-head-coaching-position/

Build the man a new facility, already. He and the program deserve it.

MDUNHfan
January 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I'm not stunned, I'm horrified!!!

Say it isn't so.

Mattymc727
January 8th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Please, NOOOO!!!!

lionsrking2
January 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Having played New Hampshire, and doing a lot of research leading up to our playoff game, I'm surprised Sean McDonnell hasn't ascended to the BCS level by now. I'm sure he's a very loyal guy (which says even more about him), but I was extremely impressed with everything about him and his staff ... class act in every way from what I've observed from afar.

ccd494
January 8th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I've got $50 to chip in for moving expenses. And I will also send a nice card.

centennial
January 8th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I'm not stunned, I'm horrified!!!

Say it isn't so.
Welcome to our life. That is what success and semi-finals gets you. EWU has been lucky, EIU and NDSU no longer lucky. Towson is starting to get notice.

superman7515
January 8th, 2014, 02:55 PM
He's a good coach, I'm not sure that UMass will be a viable program for another few years. Maybe he just wants his shot while he's still young enough to take it. Best of luck to him if he does.

MDUNHfan
January 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Welcome to our life. That is what success and semi-finals gets you. EWU has been lucky, EIU and NDSU no longer lucky. Towson is starting to get notice.

As much as I would hate to see him leave, I would support any decision that he makes. He is a class act!

UNHWildcat18
January 8th, 2014, 02:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

centennial
January 8th, 2014, 03:03 PM
As much as I would hate to see him leave, I would support any decision that he makes. He is a class act!
We had a much bigger meltdown than you guys. Lets see what happens.

Mattymc727
January 8th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Part of me always thought that Coach Mac just got lucky off of Ricky Santos and the Chip Kelly era (UNH wasnt very good before that). But if you look at the body of work from 2004 to now, the lack of support and funding he gets from the state, the roster and coaching turnover, and what he did this past season after a 1-3 start shows just how great of a coach he really is. UNH lands the recruits they do because they respect him and his program, regardless of how crappy the facilities are or how cold it is in the winter.

I am actually surprised by this. I thought he would finish up at UNH and win some titles and retire like Bill Bowes. Leaving for money is one thing, but hated rival UMASS? Say it aint so!

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing.

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2014, 05:17 PM
While the report about him interviewing may be true, I would be very surprised if he ends up taking the job (if he's even offered it). UMass is a mess right now and the move just doesn't make sense. I would have said the same thing about Bohl's move to Wyoming too, though, so who knows.

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2014, 05:20 PM
He's a good coach, I'm not sure that UMass will be a viable program for another few years. Maybe he just wants his shot while he's still young enough to take it. Best of luck to him if he does.

Shot at what? A bottom tier bowl if he can somehow scrape together 6 wins? I could see the rationale for him taking a job at a place like BC or UConn, but I don't see the appeal of UMass at all.

RichH2
January 8th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Other than more $$$, it makes.little sense to most of us.

BisonTru
January 8th, 2014, 05:37 PM

Other than money, Bohl to Wyoming makes little sense, but money is a big factor. If somebody can double or triple their salary they're most likely going to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

centennial
January 8th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Other than money, Bohl to Wyoming makes little sense, but money is a big factor. If somebody can double or triple their salary they're most likely going to do that.

Funny thing is Bohl isn't even making that much more. I heard the Wyoming AD say it, 750k 1st year, bowl game maybe brings him to 900k. Not even close to 1.5-2 million everyone was talking about.

BisonTru
January 8th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Funny thing is Bohl isn't even making that much more. I heard the Wyoming AD say it, 750k 1st year, bowl game maybe brings him to 900k. Not even close to 1.5-2 million everyone was talking about.

He got a 5 year deal starting at 750,000 plus bonuses. He prolly averages just under a million each year. Plus he's guaranteed 3.75 million. Basically if he sucks he's doubling his ndsu salary. If he does well he'll triple his ndsu salary.

centennial
January 8th, 2014, 06:21 PM
He got a 5 year deal starting at 750,000 plus bonuses. He prolly averages just under a million each year. Plus he's guaranteed 3.75 million. Basically if he sucks he's doubling his ndsu salary. If he does well he'll triple his ndsu salary.

It is a solid 2-2.5x from NDSU. Not 5x. In the FCS even an extra 100-150k will take coaches away.

superman7515
January 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Shot at what? A bottom tier bowl if he can somehow scrape together 6 wins? I could see the rationale for him taking a job at a place like BC or UConn, but I don't see the appeal of UMass at all.

Shot at being the head coach of an FBS football team. As we've already seen with Bohl leaving NDSU for Wyoming, it doesn't matter what product is on the field, the money talks and even the lowest FBS is > than the highest FCS.

ngineer
January 8th, 2014, 09:29 PM

absolutely, as well as at least 5 years guaranteed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM

Once UMass gets back on campus they have a fighting chance. The basketball program is back on the national map which will help remind people that UMass athletics still exists in a positive manner. The Mullins Center was packed a few nights ago so there's definitely energy in Amherst for Minutemen sports.

I remember UMass as a very good FCS/1AA program who had a very solid average (positive they averaged 10-13k most years). The rushed move to FBS has been a disaster but the ability to get the program back to Amherst the lifeline. I really think the positive mojo the hoops team is generating can save football. This is assuming Kellogg can keep it going.

UNH Fanboi
January 9th, 2014, 06:33 AM
According to UNH's AD, he declined the interview.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140108/SPORTS22/140109342&template=mobileart

Would be interesting if Mark Whipple comes back to UMass.

Mattymc727
January 9th, 2014, 06:50 AM
According to UNH's AD, he declined the interview.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140108/SPORTS22/140109342&template=mobileart

Would be interesting if Mark Whipple comes back to UMass.

Glorious news. Now thats a loyal man.

bkrownd
January 10th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Maybe he's holding out for something higher profile like Vandy. ;)

Tribal
January 10th, 2014, 05:42 PM
As a W&M fan, I'm thrilled he's staying. xsmiley_wix

He's an excellent coach and great for UNH...the grass isn't always greener at the FBS level. For one thing, UNH is always a top program when it comes to graduating student-athletes. The kids who go to UNH know they're expected to perform in the classroom and on the field. Most FBS schools would be a step down in terms of STUDENT-athletes and that would only be a headache for someone like SM.

umassfan
January 11th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Call me happy that we didn't hire McDonnell. I'm not a fan of his and that would be about as big of mistake as our past two coaches. UMass did hire Whipple today though. All UMass fans are stoked. Couldn't be happier.

gotts
January 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Call me happy that we didn't hire McDonnell. I'm not a fan of his and that would be about as big of mistake as our past two coaches. UMass did hire Whipple today though. All UMass fans are stoked. Couldn't be happier.

Couldn't be happier for a 3-9 season as your ceiling?

bkrownd
January 11th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Hoping for another Whipple "worst to first" miracle. xbowx Time to raid the CAA for some coordinators. xsmiley_wix

UMass - Big 10 Champions 2019! Rose Bowl Bound Baybee! w00t! xcoolx

centennial
January 11th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Funny. Sean would be a huge get for you.

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I wanted McDonnell 2 years ago. All the UNH fans said 2 years ago in discussion no way would he leave UNH and especially for hated rival UMass. Excited about Whipple returning, would have been happy with McDonnell if he had wanted it. I respect McDonnell for wanting to stay at UNH and what he has done for that program.

KAUMASS
January 11th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Centennial, with my last post, just looked up and saw we had the exact number of posts...

umassfan
January 12th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Funny. Sean would be a huge get for you.

But whats funnier... Whipple is better! We got Liam Coen as our QB coach and I hear Marcel Shipp is coming in some role. Whipple knows how to recruit. He brought in a lot of talent to UMass. Plus he has NFL exp and every high school player would like to play for a coach who knows what it takes to get him to the league. To me this is all way above McDonnell.

Catproud61
January 23rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
He's not done beating up on Maine yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk