PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NFL Draft Forecast for FCS players

World
January 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
List here

DoubleH
January 8th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I'm sure most have heard by now, but Towson RB Terrance West has declared for the draft and will forego his senior season. He received a 3rd-round grade from the draft advisory board, and may go higher. Senior CB Jordan Love was also a pro prospect, but frankly I don't think he goes in the 5th as the author intimates unless his workouts are outstanding.

I also expect LT Eric Pike to get drafted, but I haven't heard any indication of where he'll possible go.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24401280/nfl-draft-towson-rb-terrance-west-to-forgo-senior-season

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM
All indications are that Billy Turner, the OT from NDSU, will be drafted. CBS Sports currently has him as the #14 OT in the draft and a 4th-5th round grade but I'm sure that will fluctuate with the all star games he'll be playing in and with his combine performance.

Marcus Williams, once thought to be a sure fire NFL prospect, I think will be on the bubble as far as getting drafted. He currently has a 6th-7th round grade as the #28 CB prospect from CBS Sports but I think he'll need a good showing in pre-draft workouts to maintain that (I'm not sure if he's been invited to the combine yet but I hope he will be).

NoDak 4 Ever
January 8th, 2014, 10:41 AM
All indications are that Billy Turner, the OT from NDSU, will be drafted. CBS Sports currently has him as the #14 OT in the draft and a 4th-5th round grade but I'm sure will fluctuate with the all star games he'll be playing and the combine.

Marcus Williams, once though to be a sure fire NFL prospect, I think will be on the bubble as far as getting drafted or not. He's got a 6th-7th round grade as the #28 CB prospect from CBS Sports and I think he'll need a good showing in pre-draft workouts to maintain that (I'm not sure it he's been invited to the combine yet but I hope he will be).

Once Billy Turner shows off his physicality, he will go up. He needs a little work on his hands and feet but that is totally teachable.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Once Billy Turner shows off his physicality, he will go up. He needs a little work on his hands and feet but that is totally teachable.

Agree here.

Marcus needs a huge combine or pro day to get drafted IMO. Mediocre tackler and his speed/quickness is not NFL caliber IMO. Hope I'm wrong about MW.

superman7515
January 8th, 2014, 11:35 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forumdisplay.php?12-The-Ins-amp-Outs-of-FCS

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Towson RB Terrance West is a 2nd-3rd round projection. Others who will definitely get drafted along with my projection, as of today, include EIU QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3rd-4th), NDSU OT Billy Turner (4th), Princeton DT Caraun Reid (3rd-4th), Furman OL Dakota Dozier (3rd), Montana LB Jordan Tripp (mid rounds), and Tenn State OG Kadeem Edwards (3rd-4th).

Below are those rated in the 5th-7th round range from NFL teams I have talked to

RB
Isaiah
Crowell
Alabama State

RB
Lorenzo
Taliaferro
Coastal Carolina

QB
Jeff
Mathews
Cornell

DT
Zachariah
Kerr
Delaware

WR
Erik
Lora
Eastern Illinois

CB
Lavelle
Westbrooks
Georgia Southern

RB
Jerick
McKinnon
Georgia Southern

CB
Kendall
James
Maine

OLB
Brad
Daly
Montana State

WR
Walter
Powell
Murray State

WR
Greg
Hardin
North Dakota

OG
D.J.
Morrell
Old Dominion

CB
Todd
Washington
Southeastern Louisiana

TE
A.C.
Leonard
Tennessee State

DE
Rakim
Cox
Villanova

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2014, 11:47 AM
All indications are that Billy Turner, the OT from NDSU, will be drafted. CBS Sports currently has him as the #14 OT in the draft and a 4th-5th round grade but I'm sure that will fluctuate with the all star games he'll be playing in and with his combine performance.

Marcus Williams, once thought to be a sure fire NFL prospect, I think will be on the bubble as far as getting drafted. He currently has a 6th-7th round grade as the #28 CB prospect from CBS Sports but I think he'll need a good showing in pre-draft workouts to maintain that (I'm not sure if he's been invited to the combine yet but I hope he will be).

I don't think Williams gets drafted. He's a PFA to me right now.

Bisonator
January 8th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Pure speculation at this point. Have a better idea after the all-star games, pro days and combine.

If I had to guess right now I would have Billy Turner going in round 4. I still think Marcus Williams has a shot in the late rounds but he will need to look better in the next couple months then he did most of this season. I know he was injured a bit but his game definitely took a step back this year. Don't see any other Bison being drafted but I think a few guys get FA offers.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Turner go earlier and be moved to guard. OG prospects are weak this year.

clenz
January 8th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Honest question on Williams..

What the **** happened too him? Maybe I was only hearing lakes say he is going to be a first or second round pick but I thought that right wad echoed by many a bison fan.

Did he regress greatly, get complacent, or simply vastly over hyped before?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
January 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM

What the **** happened too him? Maybe I was only hearing lakes say he is going to be a first or second round pick but I thought that right wad echoed by many a bison fan.

He broke a bone in his hand early on, had a thigh bruise and then an ankle issue. Not sure if it's just nagging injuries or what but he definitely didn't have a great season. He's never been a great tackler but I thought he improved on that somewhat this season. His ball hogging ability diminished though.

westdakotabison
January 8th, 2014, 12:29 PM

After he got burned a couple of times vs. KState he quit jumping routes and playing as much press as much as he used to. Injuries may have had something to do with that. He still covered half the field deep alone and did tackle better this year than in previous years.

TILIS-BisonFan
January 8th, 2014, 12:31 PM
He broke a bone in his hand early on, had a thigh bruise and then an ankle issue. Not sure if it's just nagging injuries or what but he definitely didn't have a great season. He's never been a great tackler but I thought he improved on that somewhat this season. His ball hogging ability diminished though.

This and very little safety help all season. He was on an island most of the year. I agree that his tackling not up to nfl caliber.

Lehigh'98
January 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Towson RB Terrance West is a 2nd-3rd round projection. Others who will definitely get drafted along with my projection, as of today, include EIU QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3rd-4th), NDSU OT Billy Turner (4th), Princeton DT Caraun Reid (3rd-4th), Furman OL Dakota Dozier (3rd), Montana LB Jordan Tripp (mid rounds), and Tenn State OG Kadeem Edwards (3rd-4th).

Below are those rated in the 5th-7th round range from NFL teams I have talked to

RB
Isaiah
Crowell
Alabama State

RB
Lorenzo
Taliaferro
Coastal Carolina

QB
Jeff
Mathews
Cornell

DT
Zachariah
Kerr
Delaware

WR
Erik
Lora
Eastern Illinois

CB
Lavelle
Westbrooks
Georgia Southern

RB
Jerick
McKinnon
Georgia Southern

CB
Kendall
James
Maine

OLB
Brad
Daly
Montana State

WR
Walter
Powell
Murray State

WR
Greg
Hardin
North Dakota

OG
D.J.
Morrell
Old Dominion

CB
Todd
Washington
Southeastern Louisiana

TE
A.C.
Leonard
Tennessee State

DE
Rakim
Cox
Villanova

No Garappolo? Or is he higher

centennial
January 8th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Poor tackling, getting burned trying to jump routes, teams are keeping the ball away from him, injuries. For now he is unlikely to get drafted, if he performs well he may get a late round pick. He was at best a 6th round pick last year.

- - - Updated - - -

He said that on top, 3rd-4th.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I think Marcus was overrated as a pro prospect because he was such an impact player at the FCS level. Despite some fans claims otherwise he was never truly a shut down cover corner but he was always absolutely electric with the football in his hands. His ball skills are very good for a corner and he had the athleticism to compete with WRs for the football in the air. I think the teams that did shy away from him didn't do it because he was blanket covering their receivers, they did it because they knew a bad throw would likely be 6 the other way and with as good as the teams were that Marcus Williams played on if you gave up 6 points to the defense you can basically kiss the game goodbye.

Bisonator
January 8th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I think Marcus was overrated as a pro prospect because he was such an impact player at the FCS level. Despite some fans claims otherwise he was never truly a shut down cover corner but he was always absolutely electric with the football in his hands. His ball skills are very good for a corner and he had the athleticism to compete with WRs for the football in the air. I think the teams that did shy away from him didn't do it because he was blanket covering their receivers, they did it because they knew a bad throw would likely be 6 the other way and with as good as the teams were that Marcus Williams played on if you have up 6 points to the defense you can basically kiss the game goodbye.

I disagree somewhat. Yes he was probably overrated a bit but Bohl has said repeatedly that he does not get the safety help and is left on an island. That has allowed our defense to be strong against the run. His first few years he baited QB's into picks. When they didn't fall for those this year it burnt him. He had some injuries this year that affected not only his defense but kick return abilities too. I hope he is 100% healthy for the Shrine game and allowed to return some kicks. He can still help an NFL team on special teams at the least.

lionsrking2
January 8th, 2014, 01:47 PM
SE Louisiana, CB, Todd Washington, missed the last half of the season with a turf toe injury that required surgery ... hopefully he'll be 100% for the Combine and/or predraft workouts.

jmrepak
January 8th, 2014, 02:27 PM

RB
Isaiah
Crowell
Alabama State

RB
Lorenzo
Taliaferro
Coastal Carolina

QB
Jeff
Mathews
Cornell

DT
Zachariah
Kerr
Delaware

WR
Erik
Lora
Eastern Illinois

CB
Lavelle
Westbrooks
Georgia Southern

RB
Jerick
McKinnon
Georgia Southern

CB
Kendall
James
Maine

OLB
Brad
Daly
Montana State

WR
Walter
Powell
Murray State

WR
Greg
Hardin
North Dakota

OG
D.J.
Morrell
Old Dominion

CB
Todd
Washington
Southeastern Louisiana

TE
A.C.
Leonard
Tennessee State

DE
Rakim
Cox
Villanova

I like your look on Taliaferro. I wouldn't say he's the best back going by any means even though he did phenomenal things for us, but the kid has the size and power to follow in Tolbert's footsteps out of CCU. I think Matt Hazel will get some looks as well at WR, but the WR stock is deep this year. I believe he got a combine invite though, so he'll have an opportunity to prove his worth.

clenz
January 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM
All I know is uni made him look like a 4th stringer from a swac team

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM

Williams was never rated as high by NFL teams that the media thought he was. At one time I had Williams as a 5th round grade but he was hurt this year and fell to the PFA range on my board. He was never higher than a 4th-5th round type talent though.

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM

I had him up there in the top rounds. He is a likely top 100 pick right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I like your look on Taliaferro. I wouldn't say he's the best back going by any means even though he did phenomenal things for us, but the kid has the size and power to follow in Tolbert's footsteps out of CCU. I think Matt Hazel will get some looks as well at WR, but the WR stock is deep this year. I believe he got a combine invite though, so he'll have an opportunity to prove his worth.

Hazel does have a combine invite but he signed with the same agents who ruined Josh Norman. Despite the combine invite, I don't think he will get drafted. I also don't think he is going to do what he needs to in order to get drafted. He has draftable talent, no question, but I would not pick him for my team because of his character.

frozennorth
January 8th, 2014, 04:12 PM
i can't imagine hardin even getting a look from the NFL. He is lazy and has poor hands. Fast guys are a dime a dozen.

smallcollegefbfan
January 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM
i can't imagine hardin even getting a look from the NFL. He is lazy and has poor hands. Fast guys are a dime a dozen.

Hardin is going to get in a camp because of his speed. I know he's lazy but he will at least get a shot.

Green26
January 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
SmallCollege, what are you hearing/thinking about Kistler, the Montana tackle? I heard the UM o-line coach, Gragg, say earlier in the season that he expected Kistler to have a long NFl career. As you probably know, Gragg was a 2d round pick out of Montana and played over 10 years in the NFL at o-tackle.

Many people at/in Montana believe Coyle, the middle backer, is as good or better than McSurdy, the UM middle backer who was a 7th round pick two years ago. Coyle had a great season, in fact several great seasons.

McNeese75
January 9th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Not the greatest news for the Pokes

http://www.americanpress.com/news/local/Nic-Jacobs2014-01-09T12-24-59

And it appear our OL coach is interviewing for the LSU job that just came open xcoolx

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20140109/SPORTS0101/301090022/Rob-Sale-interviews-LSU-offensive-line-coaching-job-Mawae-interested

NoDak 4 Ever
January 9th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Williams was never rated as high by NFL teams that the media thought he was. At one time I had Williams as a 5th round grade but he was hurt this year and fell to the PFA range on my board. He was never higher than a 4th-5th round type talent though.

Hopefully he can change some minds at the Combine.

World
January 9th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Princeton DT Caraun Reid projected as first FCS player to be drafted in 2014 NFL Draft

Darlinikki150
January 10th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Smallcolllege I have a question

Bock Jensen has apparently signed with Manziels coach or trainer, do you think he will get looked at all for the NFL or practice squad?

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Bock Jensen has apparently signed with Manziels coach or trainer, do you think he will get looked at all for the NFL or practice squad?

I think he will get an invite to at least a pre camp.

bri-dog
January 19th, 2014, 06:00 PM

That would be a great name for a Fargo microbrew...