PDA

View Full Version : Fritz, Ayers among finalists for Georgia Southern

T-Dog
January 7th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Ivan Jasper, Navy Offensive Coordinator
Willie Fritz, Sam Houston State Head Coach
Tim Horton, Auburn Running Back's Coach
Mike Ayers, Wofford Head Coach

The top three were reported previously. Ayers being on this list is shocking. Is there anything wrong in Sparkle City?

Skjellyfetti
January 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Ayers? Really? Seems kinda far-fetched, but what do I know? Dude's in his mid-60's and doesn't seem to me like he'd be up for an FBS transition...

From that list, I'd probably pick Horton.

They need to start eliminating candidates and hire someone ASAP to get recruiting in before signing day in less than a month.

seantaylor
January 8th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Jasper is the only option

GATA_Eagles
January 8th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Excellent pool of candidates. Exciting times are ahead

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 07:06 AM
At some point, don't you begin to worry if you are a Georgia Southern fan?

It is three weeks from signing day. There are only 4 head coach vacancies in FBS football (GSU, Louisville, Umass, and Penn State). One of those is an awful program with no hope of success. Two others just lost their coaches this past week. We've known Monken was leaving for three or four weeks.

There's a couple of names on here that have been rumored for a while. If Fritz is the guy, why has he not been hired by the second week of January? Navy's bowl game ended Jan. 30, why's Jasper not been announced? Why on earth is it now rumored the Eagles are going after perhaps the most settled head coach in D1 football in Mike Ayers? Why would he leave Wofford (remember, a key reason Woody left WC was he'd never be the head coach)?

With signing day on the horizon, it really seems like you need to get someone in the seat. Recruits have no idea what systems are going to be put in or what coaches will be kept. At this point, it would almost seem as though having someone in the chair is more important than who it actually is.

My guess is they are going after the Auburn guy. That's just a shot in the dark, but if Jasper and Fritz were coming, we'd know it by now. There's every incentive for GSU to get this thing announced as soon as possible.

GATA_Eagles
January 8th, 2014, 07:14 AM

It is three weeks from signing day. There are only 4 head coach vacancies in FBS football (GSU, Louisville, Umass, and Penn State). One of those is an awful program with no hope of success. Two others just lost their coaches this past week. We've known Monken was leaving for three or four weeks.

There's a couple of names on here that have been rumored for a while. If Fritz is the guy, why has he not been hired by the second week of January? Navy's bowl game ended Jan. 30, why's Jasper not been announced? Why on earth is it now rumored the Eagles are going after perhaps the most settled head coach in D1 football in Mike Ayers? Why would he leave Wofford (remember, a key reason Woody left WC was he'd never be the head coach)?

With signing day on the horizon, it really seems like you need to get someone in the seat. Recruits have no idea what systems are going to be put in or what coaches will be kept. At this point, it would almost seem as though having someone in the chair is more important than who it actually is.

My guess is they are going after the Auburn guy. That's just a shot in the dark, but if Jasper and Fritz were coming, we'd know it by now. There's every incentive for GSU to get this thing announced as soon as possible.

Announcement will come within the week. No worries to be had. Kleinlein and Keel were dedicated to the process and have narrowed the search down to four candidates. Ayers came out of left field last night but from the beginning, Keel said do not listen to any of the rumors out there (Pry, Azzanni, Bobo, Lashlee). We're at the end of that process now considering the final candidate just finished their bowl game. Expect the decision soon.

Baldy
January 8th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Since day one of this coaching search, the AD and President have said there was going to be a process. This will be the second most important hire in the program's history, and there is no need to rush the process just to get someone to fill the seat in order to save a recruiting class. The fact is we have been in a "dead period" in recruiting anyway. We have our best recruiter still on staff and he has been taking care of those issues if they come up. It has been an agonizing 2+ weeks, but I believe we are doing exactly what we need to do to get not only the best coach available but the best coach available who will be the best fit for Georgia Southern and our transition.

Sammy94
January 8th, 2014, 07:47 AM
My guess is there is about a 5% chance of it being Fritz.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/x1186915449/BEARKAT-FOOTBALL-Amidst-speculation-about-Fritz-taking-over-at-Georgia-Southern-Kats-coach-says-hes-happy-at-SHSU

Eagle22
January 8th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Nope, not worried at all.

We should have a coach by Friday. All of your questions have reasonable, rational answers. Recruiting, with this batch of candidates will be just fine. We might lose a player or two that will rescind their decision but that happens with every team that undergoes a coaching change, even if it is just at the assistant level.

For Fritz and Ayers, it's the opportunity for a bigger paycheck. For Horton and Jasper, might be less of a pay opportunity but they aspire to have a head coaching gig.

Baldy
January 8th, 2014, 07:58 AM

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/x1186915449/BEARKAT-FOOTBALL-Amidst-speculation-about-Fritz-taking-over-at-Georgia-Southern-Kats-coach-says-hes-happy-at-SHSU
You're probably right. I think Fritz is 4th, but he was still very vague and his comments were full of "coach speak".

SpeedkingATL
January 8th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I would think Jasper would really fit the bill. I expect GaSo had to wait on Horton's season to end to complete their process. I don't see an issue with the timing as this is a very critical choice for GaSo and their recruits are mostly in a wait and see mode anyway with the recruiting dead period. It looks to me like they are doing it the right way instead of making a hasty decision that could hurt the future of the program.

BEAR
January 8th, 2014, 08:50 AM
They should really go after Tim Horton. His dad led UCA to two national championships and a record of like 74-12 in 5 seasons winning 38 games in a row at one time. His family is DEEP into football and tradition. Plus the guy can flat out coach. Just my two cents.

OL FU
January 8th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Is Ayers really on the list? After all this time, I have a difficult time believing he is leaving Wofford.

Did anyone ask Ayers if he wanted to be on the list:)

mountaineer in Cane Land
January 8th, 2014, 08:56 AM
agree with Paladinfan, if Fritz was their guy, they would have announced his hiring a week ago, Horton would be a great pick, but, if he has any success he probably out the door the first chance he gets, Ayers is really surprising, wonder if GS and App leaving made he wonder about the direction of the SC, and maybe he thinks its time to get out before the conference crashes and burns.

OL FU
January 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM
agree with Paladinfan, if Fritz was their guy, they would have announced his hiring a week ago, Horton would be a great pick, but, if he has any success he probably out the door the first chance he gets, Ayers is really surprising, wonder if GS and App leaving made he wonder about the direction of the SC, and maybe he thinks its time to get out before the conference crashes and burns.

xlolx You had me til the last linexlolx

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 09:12 AM
xlolx You had me til the last linexlolx

We're not going back into this again, are we? Don't make me post the SoCon standings again. I swear I'll do it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Recruiting will take a hit no matter what. I am glad that Tom Kleinlein is being thorough with this process and not just simply hiring the most ostensibly natural fit right out of the gate.

As far as the candidates go, I am not really sure who I want, but my guess is that Horton will get the job. Depending on who he picks for OC, it could be a good hire. He is certainly a reputable recruiter. Didn't he bring Dexter Coakley to App. State?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Surprised too to see Fritz and Ayers on the list. If GSU really wanted to get a solid up-and-comer they'd get Fritz, but they'll probably overpay for Horton on Auburn recognition. Ayers is real surprising for most of the reasons mentioned here, age and amount of time that will be required for the transition. Of course, he could probably run Erk's offense at the FBS level better than anybody.

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Surprised too to see Fritz and Ayers on the list. If GSU really wanted to get a solid up-and-comer they'd get Fritz, but they'll probably overpay for Horton on Auburn recognition. Ayers is real surprising for most of the reasons mentioned here, age and amount of time that will be required for the transition. Of course, he could probably run Erk's offense at the FBS level better than anybody.

I don't see Fritz. Hiring him might have a negligible effect on recruiting, but I just don't see how lining up an option based recruiting class, and then switching to a different look right before signing day wouldn't have an effect.

Wofford's offense and Georgia Southern's offense are similar, but they aren't the same. Actually, GSU has started to look more like Wofford the past few years than vice versa.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM
We're not going back into this again, are we? Don't make me post the SoCon standings again. I swear I'll do it.

At this point, if there's someone that doesn't know the standings in the conference they've obviously never spoke with a Paladin fan.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Looks like he is interested as he came right out to the papers and said he went and interviewed...

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140108/ARTICLES/140109754/0/FRONTPAGE#gsc.tab=0 (http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140108/ARTICLES/140109754/0/FRONTPAGE#gsc.tab=0)

Ayers, 65, coach of the Terriers and face of the program for more than a quarter of a century, said Wednesday that he was in Statesboro, Ga., and had been meeting with Georgia Southern athletics director Tom Kleinlein about the opening there. Ayers was reportedly first contacted by GSU in late December, only a few days after Jeff Monken left after his four seasons to coach at Army, and this week was invited to campus as one of four known finalists for the job of leading a team headed to the Sun Belt Conference in the Football Bowl Subdivision.
“Today, I interviewed at Georgia Southern,” Ayers said. “The opportunity to talk with them would not have been possible without all of the success that we have had at Wofford, which is the result of all the hard work that our coaches and student-athletes have put in over the years.”

Ayers said he did not want to comment further.

“Mike means the world to us,” Wofford athletics director Richard Johnson said. “He’s been terrific. He’s built a program that is to be emulated and modeled at any level. So it’s no surprise to me that someone showed an interest in him. What’s surprising is that people haven’t done more of this. If you look at it objectively, by any criteria, Mike Ayers is stellar.”

Much more at the link.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 10:49 AM
At this point, if there's someone that doesn't know the standings in the conference they've obviously never spoke with a Paladin fan.

The drum will still be beaten so long as people keep up with these asinine "the end of the SoCon is nigh" comments.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Looks like he is interested as he came right out to the papers and said he went and interviewed...

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140108/ARTICLES/140109754/0/FRONTPAGE#gsc.tab=0 (http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140108/ARTICLES/140109754/0/FRONTPAGE#gsc.tab=0)

Much more at the link.

No kidding. In my opinion, losing Mike Ayers would be the biggest blow to the Southern Conference out of all of these changes.

Sandlapper Spike
January 9th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I think the GSU job is Ayers' to take if he wants it.

T-Dog
January 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Word coming out of Statesboro is that Fritz is the guy.

Sandlapper Spike
January 9th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Just saw that. A little surprised.

centennial
January 9th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Word coming out of Statesboro is that Fritz is the guy.
Good. I think Fritz will do well at GSo. He is a good coach. Now the OC is going to the big question- Are they going to keep triple option?

clenz
January 9th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Good. I think Fritz will do well at GSo. He is a good coach. Now the OC is going to the big question- Are they going to keep triple option?

Yes...but likely out if a different formation

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

GATA_Eagles
January 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Yes...but likely out if a different formation

To some of our fans it'll be just as bad as scrapping the option all together. I love the hire personally.

centennial
January 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
To some of our fans it'll be just as bad as scrapping the option all together. I love the hire personally.
What's not to love? I cheer for GSo unless they play NDSU. As a casual fan of your team Fritz will do well, he will modernize the offense(even though most of your fans don't want that). Do you have a good QB who can throw well? That is going to be important since you already have enough athletes that run the ball well.

GATA_Eagles
January 9th, 2014, 01:40 PM
What's not to love? I cheer for GSo unless they play NDSU. As a casual fan of your team Fritz will do well, he will modernize the offense(even though most of your fans don't want that). Do you have a good QB who can throw well? That is going to be important since you already have enough athletes that run the ball well.

Ellison (starting QB against Florida) has a great arm it was just injured prior to that game. We also have a transfer from FIU that apparently ran our offense very well and has an impressive arm.

BEAR
January 9th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Georgia Southern: Sources tell us Sam Houston State head coach Willie Fritz will be the new head coach at Georgia Southern. - footballscoop

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Ellison (starting QB against Florida) has a great arm it was just injured prior to that game. We also have a transfer from FIU that apparently ran our offense very well and has an impressive arm.

Izzy Youyoute might actually be a better QB for Fritz's offense.

clenz
January 9th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Which is sad.

Sammy94
January 9th, 2014, 02:25 PM
What a crappy day.

Silenoz
January 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM

...said every coach at every job ever before moving on to the next gig

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I think this is a great hire for GSU. They got the right guy.

centennial
January 9th, 2014, 02:36 PM
What a crappy day.
Sorry. It sucks. Do you have a good replacement in mind? Hire from the staff like NDSU?

Sammy94
January 9th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Do you have a good replacement in mind? Hire from the staff like NDSU?

Darrell Wyatt, University of Texas co- OC has been a rumor for the past couple of weeks. I'm sure Scott Stoker will be interviewed. I hope its not one of out coordinators.

Bisonator
January 9th, 2014, 02:55 PM
What a crappy day.

Sucks for you guys since it's a key recruiting period. Too bad GSU couldn't make this decision a few weeks ago at least. BTW is there anything in Fritz's contract about going after SHSU's recruits?

Tubakat2014
January 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Well crap... I don't feel good right about now. I'm just happy with Fritz for being honest about the fact that he was having discussions with GSU. He leaves as he arrived- a class act. Good luck to Fritz and GSU at the next level!

Texas
January 9th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Well crap... I don't feel good right about now. I'm just happy with Fritz for being honest about the fact that he was having discussions with GSU. He leaves as he arrived- a class act. Good luck to Fritz and GSU at the next level!

http://m.itemonline.com/huntsville/db_291954/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UysykleX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tubakat2014
January 9th, 2014, 03:24 PM
http://m.itemonline.com/huntsville/db_291954/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UysykleX

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Reading a second time, I'm noticing more coachspeak than I did the first time. He never said he wouldn't leave, but he did repeatedly mention how much he loves SHSU and Huntsville. I don't doubt either of those statements- I really think he enjoyed himself the past few years, but money speaks louder than the heart in the world of football. I still have tons of respect for Fritz.

Nickels
January 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM
What a crappy day.
I disagree. We get rid of 2 awful coordinators and a head coach that disappointed me many times last year. Fritz's recruiting has been a step behind UCA & MSU since he got here. His best team was with Whitten's recruits. There's been a decline since then. His teams had no heart, finish or swagger. How many close games or come from behind wins did SHSU have during his tenure? He OKed crap play calling. I could go on and on...

Bison56
January 9th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Big Sky teams are happy today!:D

Texas
January 9th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I disagree. We get rid of 2 awful coordinators and a head coach that disappointed me many times last year. Fritz's recruiting has been a step behind UCA & MSU since he got here. His best team was with Whitten's recruits. There's been a decline since then. His teams had no heart, finish or swagger. Haw many close games or come from behind wins did SHSU have his tenure? He OKed crap play calling. I could go on and on...

Mike Collins announced as SHSU HC, will keep Doug Ruse as OC.

Texas
January 9th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Big Sky teams are happy today!:D

Big Sky were beaten by Scott Stoker's D. A lot believe he will be our #1 target.

Nickels
January 9th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Mike Collins announced as SHSU HC, will keep Doug Ruse as OC.

I'm getting the noose ready...

Texas
January 9th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I'm getting the noose ready...

Sorry but it's a scary reality.

BEAR
January 9th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I disagree. We get rid of 2 awful coordinators and a head coach that disappointed me many times last year. Fritz's recruiting has been a step behind UCA & MSU since he got here. His best team was with Whitten's recruits. There's been a decline since then. His teams had no heart, finish or swagger. How many close games or come from behind wins did SHSU have during his tenure? He OKed crap play calling. I could go on and on...

This. SAM has surprised me the last 3 years. 3 years ago Sam beat UCA after injuring our starting QB so the game plan went up in flames. Last year UCA slipped by a very strong SAM team in Conway. This year SAM played beat up and acted like it. UCA was as beat up as SAM, maybe even more, but those kids never quit. That's something "ON THE FRITZ" appeared to never instill in those kids. Hopefully the new coach can make the SLC a title contender again..

Nickels
January 9th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Sorry but it's a scary reality.

I love SHSU but I'm done if Collins is promoted to HC. Besides recruiting, my biggest knock on Fritz is hiring that clown.

Sammy94
January 9th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Nickels there is not much we agree on but I'm with you on that one. Fritz had gone away from coaching and let his people do it, but when you hire people like Collins, you must return to coaching.

TheEagleWay
January 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM
As an Eagles fan, I'm excited to see a new chapter in our program.

I wish SHSU fans the best, it's never fun to have a quality coach leave.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 9th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I like the hire, but GaSo fans are not patient. We expect to win all the time. Fritz will be here 3-5 years. I hope he leaves because he does very well and moves on to a P5 school. If he doesn't do well, Murray State and Tennessee Tech might be hiring.

DrStrangelove
January 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM
So it's Fritz, and not Ayers? No place to get a good milkshake in Statesboro, I presume?

TheEagleWay
January 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM
So it's Fritz, and not Ayers? No place to get a good milkshake in Statesboro, I presume?

Got milkshakes covered.... Proper dojos might have been the issue.

Nickels
January 9th, 2014, 07:37 PM
As an Eagles fan, I'm excited to see a new chapter in our program.

I wish SHSU fans the best, it's never fun to have a quality coach leave.

Honestly it isn't the worst hing in the world. Fritz assembled quit an awful staff this past 2 years and did piss poor job all around toward the end of last season. He didn't do very well recruiting and with all of Whitten's recruits gone, the writing was on the wall. His stock would have dropped after next season.

I'm more disappointed in timing rather who we lost. We will likely lose 2 bad coordinators who were calling the plays as Fritz sat back and watched.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I like the hire, but GaSo fans are not patient. We expect to win all the time. Fritz will be here 3-5 years. I hope he leaves because he does very well and moves on to a P5 school. If he doesn't do well, Murray State and Tennessee Tech might be hiring.

I think they are going to need to learn to be. Even with Monken, the learning curve is steep for just about everyone.

Fritz is a good coach, I'm just surprised to see GSU switch systems a few weeks prior to signing day with a guy they could have locked up weeks ago and has no discernible recruiting ties to the area. Wonder what effect that will have.

Texas
January 9th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Honestly it isn't the worst hing in the world. Fritz assembled quit an awful staff this past 2 years and did piss poor job all around toward the end of last season. He didn't do very well recruiting and with all of Whitten's recruits gone, the writing was on the wall. His stock would have dropped after next season.

I'm more disappointed in timing rather who we lost. We will likely lose 2 bad coordinators who were calling the plays as Fritz sat back and watched.

This, very smart move by Fritz this was going to be his first year as all of his recruits. The more of Whitten recruits we lost the weaker our team got.

katstrapper
January 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Sucks for you guys since it's a key recruiting period. Too bad GSU couldn't make this decision a few weeks ago at least. BTW is there anything in Fritz's contract about going after SHSU's recruits?
Our AD isnt that smart.

Eagle22
January 9th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I think they are going to need to learn to be. Even with Monken, the learning curve is steep for just about everyone.

Fritz is a good coach, I'm just surprised to see GSU switch systems a few weeks prior to signing day with a guy they could have locked up weeks ago and has no discernible recruiting ties to the area. Wonder what effect that will have.

Recruiting isn't likely to be an issue. If anything, this should broaden our recruiting footprint to Texas and maybe Louisiana and Mississippi. Depends on what kind of contacts he and whichever staff members he brings on board.

It seems likely that two or three GSU staff members will stay put, and two of those in particular are key recruiters for us in the FL/GA/SC/AL province. I'm sure the incoming coach knows that. Reminds me quite a bit when Giff Smith stayed on board during the transition in 1996 from the interim Frank Ellwood's staff to Paul Johnson's first year. Giff was the recruiting glue.

Honestly, of those that have left to go join Monken, the only two that significantly impacted recruiting were our OC Brent Davis and TE coach Sean Saturnio.

Texas
January 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Recruiting isn't likely to be an issue. If anything, this should broaden our recruiting footprint to Texas and maybe Louisiana and Mississippi. Depends on what kind of contacts he and whichever staff members he brings on board.

It seems likely that two or three GSU staff members will stay put, and two of those in particular are key recruiters for us in the FL/GA/SC/AL province. I'm sure the incoming coach knows that. Reminds me quite a bit when Giff Smith stayed on board during the transition in 1996 from the interim Frank Ellwood's staff to Paul Johnson's first year. Giff was the recruiting glue.

Honestly, of those that have left to go join Monken, the only two that significantly impacted recruiting were our OC Brent Davis and TE coach Sean Saturnio.

You don't know Fritz. You won't be getting Texas recruits out side of recruits that were coming to SHSU and flipped.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 09:58 PM

I definitely agree with that. When Bruce Fowler came to Furman, Tim Sorrell was kept on and effectively saved the recruiting class that season.

I will reserve judgment on the expansion of the recruiting. GSU has, perhaps, the smallest recruiting footprint of any SoCon school. They have generally stayed in Georgia for obvious reasons (talent's good and HOPE scholarship helps the numbers work). The current roster shows on player from (east) Alabama.

That is not to say GSU can't recruit west of the Mississippi, but just that they never really have.

seantaylor
January 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Don't like the hire at all. Our AD just made his life very difficult in town.

Eagle22
January 10th, 2014, 06:12 AM
You don't know Fritz. You won't be getting Texas recruits out side of recruits that were coming to SHSU and flipped.

You are correct, I don't know Fritz (yet) and don't know his recruiting strategy, outside of online articles that suggest he likes to recruit in the geographic region close to the school.

I don't know if we've ever had a player from Texas on the roster, and we've done okay so I guess I'm not that concerned about it. xpeacex

Eagle22
January 10th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I definitely agree with that. When Bruce Fowler came to Furman, Tim Sorrell was kept on and effectively saved the recruiting class that season.

I will reserve judgment on the expansion of the recruiting. GSU has, perhaps, the smallest recruiting footprint of any SoCon school. They have generally stayed in Georgia for obvious reasons (talent's good and HOPE scholarship helps the numbers work). The current roster shows on player from (east) Alabama.

That is not to say GSU can't recruit west of the Mississippi, but just that they never really have.

If we keep this recruiting class intact, you'll see a big influx of talent from Alabama. Our recruiting coordinator (Chad Lunsford) was on the Auburn staff previously and has made some very good contacts in the state. This is Lunsford's second stint on the Georgia Southern staff, and seems like a logical position coach for Fritz to keep on board, along with Eagle alum Victor Cabral. Neither are following Monken to Army.

If Jaybo stays on as a GA as many are predicting, those three guys will be perfect compliments to whatever staff Fritz assembles and will be able to provide some of the "cultural" glue or connection to the past that so many Eagle fans fret about. While it won't be the same as running the TO out of the flex, it also won't be like BVG or Hatcher coming in and totally revamping 180 degrees.

PaladinFan
January 10th, 2014, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=Eagle22;2086287]If we keep this recruiting class intact, you'll see a big influx of talent from Alabama. Our recruiting coordinator (Chad Lunsford) was on the Auburn staff previously and has made some very good contacts in the state. This is Lunsford's second stint on the Georgia Southern staff, and seems like a logical position coach for Fritz to keep on board, along with Eagle alum Victor Cabral. Neither are following Monken to Army.

To this point, the only SoCon schools that have really had sustained success recruiting in Alabama are UTC and Furman (and Samford, of course). Some of Furman's best players the past 10 or so years have come out of Birmingham.

I have no doubt the recruiting class will stay mostly intact. My concern would be for the option casualties. If you are running something other than the option, you just have different needs and a different focus. It may be Fritz is going to do what Hatcher was forced to do, run your system with what you've got and start next year.

pike51
January 10th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Don't like the hire at all. Our AD just made his life very difficult in town.

Guess we can cross you off the list for tickets to the SBC title game then. Good to know!

Nickels
January 10th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Guess we can cross you off the list for tickets to the SBC title game then. Good to know!

There will be plenty of unused tickets to that game. No need to make a list.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 10th, 2014, 12:20 PM
As long as we retain Chad Lunsford to run recruiting we will be fine on the recruiting front.

I'm not going to worry all that much about coordinators, either. Fritz has won everywhere he has been including being the winningest coach at Central Missouri in over a century.

Sam_Kats
January 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Congrats to Georgia Southern - you picked up a good one. More importantly, congrats to Coach Fritz...he deserves the bump.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM

He doesn't even attend home games so he won't be on any lists other than Sniping Troll lists

citdog
January 13th, 2014, 04:02 AM

http://www.baconwrappedmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/funny-demotivational-posters-bacon-wrapped-media-18.jpg

ASUMountaineer
January 13th, 2014, 09:54 AM
The drum will still be beaten so long as people keep up with these asinine "the end of the SoCon is nigh" comments.

xlolx

pike51
January 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/e/4/e496c_ORIG-Let_The_Butt_Hurt_Flow_Through_You.jpg

Texas
January 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/e/4/e496c_ORIG-Let_The_Butt_Hurt_Flow_Through_You.jpg

If that's what you want to believe ok. Have fun and good luck to your team.

Nickels
January 13th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Enjoy Ruse's play calling.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM
That was probably more of the "GSU/APP fans make fun of the SoCon, everyone else make fun of the Sunbelt" diatribe that's been going on for about 2 years now.

walliver
January 14th, 2014, 10:13 AM
That was probably more of the "GSU/APP fans make fun of the SoCon, everyone else make fun of the Sunbelt" diatribe that's been going on for about 2 years now.

It's actually been going on for about a decade, although until the last 2 years, App fans also made fun of the Sun Belt.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2014, 10:46 AM
It's actually been going on for about a decade, although until the last 2 years, App fans also made fun of the Sun Belt.

I had forgotten that. Desperation makes strange bedfellows.