October 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks Ralph. About this year's Lehigh season so far:

:dizzy:

LeopardFan04
October 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
nice post LFN...

Fordham
October 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM
LFN, I know you weren't pleased to see Lembo go. I'm interested in your thoughts on those alums and fans of the program who did want him to go, though. Have you spoken to any of them and what are they saying ... or have they just melted away by now?

And I still think it's way to early to know anything about Coen or make judgements other than specific gameday issues, etc (I feel the same way about Massella although we never had the Lehigh "mystique"). He needs to bring in his own kids and have them work in his system for a while before that judgement gets passed.

Also, is it a talent thing? Is it possible that Lembo saw the cupboard pretty bare and bolted in time? Just curious on your thoughts overall.

Pard4Life
October 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Sounds like Lehigh is becoming like Syracuse... fans antsy for more success despite a good recent history.. and then the floor falls out from under the program and bottoms out... Lehigh is too good though for this to happen and Coen seems like a good person to lead the job.

carney2
October 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I know that the circumstances are different, but didn't Higgins struggle for a few years before he was anointed a god?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2006, 12:48 PM
LFN, I know you weren't pleased to see Lembo go. I'm interested in your thoughts on those alums and fans of the program who did want him to go, though. Have you spoken to any of them and what are they saying ... or have they just melted away by now?

And I still think it's way to early to know anything about Coen or make judgements other than specific gameday issues, etc (I feel the same way about Massella although we never had the Lehigh "mystique"). He needs to bring in his own kids and have them work in his system for a while before that judgement gets passed.

Also, is it a talent thing? Is it possible that Lembo saw the cupboard pretty bare and bolted in time? Just curious on your thoughts overall.

I think most of the Lembo haters have melted away as you say, only to be replaced by a litany of folks who say "Boy, I miss Lembo". I think that's to be expected, though, as we struggle.

I think the fan criticism of Coen for the most part involves "too much change, too soon". For you guys at Fordham it was clear something needed to change after a 2-9 season, but at 8-3 most Lehigh fans thought that all that was needed was a coach that brings some toughness to the team and instantly we'll be competing for championships. Coen, however, made a lot of offensive and defensive changes that are now being second-guessed because we've gone 2-4. When you make a lot of changes, there is a "break-in" period, but at Lehigh (for better or worse) you're not allowed a long break-in period. You've got to produce right away; the fans expect it. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but that's the way it is.

Personally, I don't think it's a talent shortage at Lehigh that is the problem. I think Threatt at QB is a testament to that, if nothing else.

ColgateTD
October 16th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I've got to say I never saw that coming with Yale. I mean, I had LU all over the Bulldogs. Even tho' the Ivies took the series against PL teams this year, I just thought LU would find a spark and whip Yale pretty badly. I was really surprised to see that score...I can't believe it...:confused:

ngineer
October 17th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I know that the circumstances are different, but didn't Higgins struggle for a few years before he was anointed a god?

Higgins' first four years: 22-21-1. Did win the PL in 1995 with an 8-3 record, so that goes to show how 'great' we were the other three years. However, when one looks closely at 1997-our last losing season (4-7) all but one of the losses were very close: Fordham 35-42 (OT), Harvard 30-35, Hofstra 38-45, Bucknell 14-21, Holy Cross 14-20, and Delaware 19-24 (which was the last time the Blue Hens visited Goodman). Lehigh's amazing streak of at least 8 wins then ran off from 1998 through last season.
We're not far from having an excellent record this year. Perhaps the coaching changes has brought more upheaval-mentally-to the players than we expected in adjusting to new schemes, both defensively and offensively.
I like Coen, although I have disagreed with some of his play calling. Part of me thinks he's trying to do things with personnel that isn't suited for it. Lembo recruited and played a more 'finese' type game and Coen wants more of a 'smash-mouth' mentality. However, the players are basically the same, and we saw last year how we fell 'just short' in three games where we led in the fourth quarter.
I see a good amount of talent out there. It's just not jellin' right now. When Coen 'opened it up' in the fourth quarter at Yale and Lehigh drove 91 yards like a knife through butter, I thought, "here we go!" Alas, we continued to shoot ourselves in the foot and abandonned the previous scheme. We may have out-guessed ourselves, thinking Yale would adjust; but I say, unless they stop you, why change?
This is Coen's first time as a HC and I think there were too high expectations placed on someone who, himself, is learning a new job. We will need some patience this year. We have an excellent core coming back next year; so I'm optimistic. We can still run the table (as can just about everyone else in the League) and end up with a fine season.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Well put ng. This weekend is without a doubt "separation Saturday". Lehigh/Bucknell, Lafayette/Holy Cross, Colgate/Fordham. Every team here still has a legitimate shot at the title. The winners this weekend will really have the inside track, while the losers face elimination (Bucknell, Fordham) or a real uphill battle for the title (Colgate, Lehigh). The Lafayette/Holy Cross loser won't be out of it, but will have a huge black eye, while the winner will have survived a major test and could be considered the "favorite" of the moment.

Back to Lehigh. I don't think this team is full of "stiffs". I think the team still adjusting to everything being brand-new. IF they pull everything together in the next five weeks, they certainly have the talent to run the table. Will they? I don't know.

LUHawker
October 17th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I think most of the Lembo haters have melted away as you say, only to be replaced by a litany of folks who say "Boy, I miss Lembo". I think that's to be expected, though, as we struggle.

I think the fan criticism of Coen for the most part involves "too much change, too soon". For you guys at Fordham it was clear something needed to change after a 2-9 season, but at 8-3 most Lehigh fans thought that all that was needed was a coach that brings some toughness to the team and instantly we'll be competing for championships. Coen, however, made a lot of offensive and defensive changes that are now being second-guessed because we've gone 2-4. When you make a lot of changes, there is a "break-in" period, but at Lehigh (for better or worse) you're not allowed a long break-in period. You've got to produce right away; the fans expect it. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but that's the way it is.

Personally, I don't think it's a talent shortage at Lehigh that is the problem. I think Threatt at QB is a testament to that, if nothing else.

I know LFN is the foremost authority on Lehigh here, but I think he's off-base on this topic. If one were to scan either this board or the Lehigh board, I think one would be hard-pressed to locate any posters wishing that Lembo was back, other than one poster who just showed up this year. The rest of us, myself included, who were pleased to see a change, still think it was the right move. I also think Lembo left the cupboard bare. Thinness in the linebacking and receiving corp comes to mind. Ol' Pete knew he had little there and knew it was time to get out of Dodge. Several reporters who cover the team have confirmed that Pete's self-proclaimed recruiting ability was exactly that - self-proclaimed. I'll still take Coen over Lembo. Pete did some nice things for Lehigh, but it was time for a change all around.

Here is where I do agree with LFN. Coen has probably instituted too much change too soon. This has caused some disruption and the team is learning as they go instead of being set up from the start. We'll see how the team looks towards the end of the year.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Press roundup, and game balls this week, have been posted.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com