PDA

View Full Version : Preseason top contenders in '14

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2014, 07:25 AM
What does everyone think? Who will be contenders to start off the '14 season?

My 2$:

EWU has to be considered the favorite with VA coming back and their top WR.

A few others I think will be right there also:

UNI
UNH
Villanova
Furman
Montana
SELA
Fordham
NDSU -- Big question marks for the Bison with all of the changes but with a lot of defensive players coming back, the Bison will be tough.

pike51
January 7th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Chattanooga... duh!

Mattymc727
January 7th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Honestly, my money would be on NDSU to win it again, until someone knocks them off. If QB play is good, I see NDSU getting a seed again, which means more games in the Fargo Dome, and everyone knows how tough it is to win there.

The others on the list look good to me. Nova has a bunch of returning talent, and I wouldnt sleep on W&M. I think Towson and Maine drop off. (Especially now that West is going to the NFL).

UNH does bring a lot back in 2014. UNH Loses 2 starters on offense, and 3 on defense. There are a lot of seniors on next years team (I believe 18). UNh returns their primary 2 RB's, Primary receiver, Starting TE, 4 olinemen, and Goldrich will be a Jr. The biggest replacements for UNH will be a safety spot, and who to put at Left Tackle.

Perhaps Jacksonville State was left off the list. I was impressed by their freshman QB. They looked pretty good until he got hurt.

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Out of the SoCon, I think you'll see Furman and UTC spend most of the season in the national conversation. Both teams return a bunch of players and will benefit from playing in a SoCon where two traditional powers will be exchanged for one bad program and one baby program. Considering that the other "contenders" will lose a good bit of talent (Samford, Wofford, and the Citadel), there's no reason the Dins and Mocs shouldn't rack up a bunch of wins.

Interestingly, on the preliminary SoCon schedule that was "leaked," UTC and Furman won't face one another until the final week of the season. Lot of potential playoff scenarios may hinge on that game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM
EWU, Fordham and UNH are the first three that come to mind.

Bisonator
January 7th, 2014, 09:55 AM
4 peat.xcoffeex

wapiti
January 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM
You have MSU over rated.

Grizalltheway
January 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
You have MSU over rated.

They're not even on the list...

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2014, 10:14 AM
If any other championship team had 14 of 25 starters returning, you would almost Sharpie them in to the NC game.

NDSU may not be the 2013 team but they sure will be somewhere between 2011 and 2012

marenlee
January 7th, 2014, 10:23 AM
They're not even on the list...

You might to look at that quote a little closer. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM
If any other championship team had 14 of 25 starters returning, you would almost Sharpie them in to the NC game.

NDSU may not be the 2013 team but they sure will be somewhere between 2011 and 2012

I agree that NDSU will be good next year....2013 good? No, but they have a good core group coming back. Vaadeland getting a medical hardship will help the TE position. The big question mark will be QB and DT. 3 young DTs take over for Perry, Luecke and Drevlow; they have some big shoes to fill.

Very good recruiting class so far also. Coach Klieman said he wants to bring in 22-25 recruits.

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 01:29 PM
My Picks-
MVFC-
NDSU
UNI
CAA-
UNH
W&M
Big Sky- EWU
Montana
Southland-
SELA
Others-
EIU

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2014, 01:33 PM
My Picks-
MVFC-
NDSU
UNI
CAA-
UNH
W&M
Big Sky- EWU
Montana
Southland-
SELA
Others-
EIU

Fordham should be REALLY good next year. They return basically everyone from a Top 5/10 team this season. My guess is they enter the season as the highest ranked team from a non-power conference.

dewey
January 7th, 2014, 01:38 PM
The sports network did a 2014 preseason top 14, see the link below.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4653700

I think the main concern for NDSU is LT, QB and DT's. Everywhere else they have guys coming back or have guys that have played a lot during the last few years. If people think NDSU is going to just fall off the map into a 7-5 or 6-6 team they are in for a rude awakening.

The games that look tough next year are Iowa State, Montana, Northern Iowa and Missouri State (they always play NDSU tough in Springfield).

Dewey

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Fordham should be REALLY good next year. They return basically everyone from a Top 5/10 team this season. My guess is they enter the season as the highest ranked team from a non-power conference.
Agreed, I was torn if I should include them. I expect them to make noise again.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM
The sports network did a 2014 preseason top 14, see the link below.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4653700

I think the main concern for NDSU is LT, QB and DT's. Everywhere else they have guys coming back or have guys that have played a lot during the last few years. If people think NDSU is going to just fall off the map into a 7-5 or 6-6 team they are in for a rude awakening.

The games that look tough next year are Iowa State, Montana, Northern Iowa and Missouri State (they always play NDSU tough in Springfield).

Dewey

I'm absolutely shocked that Fordham was not included. I would love to know TSN's reason for excluding them. Nebrich to Ajala will be the East Coast version of Adams to Kupp imo.

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I agree that NDSU will be good next year....2013 good? No, but they have a good core group coming back. Vaadeland getting a medical hardship will help the TE position. The big question mark will be QB and DT. 3 young DTs take over for Perry, Luecke and Drevlow; they have some big shoes to fill.

Very good recruiting class so far also. Coach Klieman said he wants to bring in 22-25 recruits.

It depends on the starters, really. Some teams just lose one starter, and if its an Armanti Edwards or Eric Britenstien, it's tough to fill those shoes regardless of the supporting cast.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2014, 03:16 PM
who does NDST have warming up at QB? Will be tough to replace BJ, he might not have the best pure passing arm but he sure knows how to win, three yards out and he's getting into the EZ every time.

marenlee
January 7th, 2014, 03:23 PM
who does NDST have warming up at QB? Will be tough to replace BJ, he might not have the best pure passing arm but he sure knows how to win, three yards out and he's getting into the EZ every time.

Carson Wentz from Bismarck, ND. 6'5" 220lbs with better physical capabilities than Brock. But of course untested on the gridiron. Should be a better passer than Brock, but it was Brock's leadership and decision making him the all time winningest QB.

Cocky
January 7th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Honestly, my money would be on NDSU to win it again, until someone knocks them off. If QB play is good, I see NDSU getting a seed again, which means more games in the Fargo Dome, and everyone knows how tough it is to win there.

The others on the list look good to me. Nova has a bunch of returning talent, and I wouldnt sleep on W&M. I think Towson and Maine drop off. (Especially now that West is going to the NFL).

UNH does bring a lot back in 2014. UNH Loses 2 starters on offense, and 3 on defense. There are a lot of seniors on next years team (I believe 18). UNh returns their primary 2 RB's, Primary receiver, Starting TE, 4 olinemen, and Goldrich will be a Jr. The biggest replacements for UNH will be a safety spot, and who to put at Left Tackle.

Perhaps Jacksonville State was left off the list. I was impressed by their freshman QB. They looked pretty good until he got hurt.

Hopefully we will stay under the radar.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2014, 04:26 PM
It depends on the starters, really. Some teams just lose one starter, and if its an Armanti Edwards or Eric Britenstien, it's tough to fill those shoes regardless of the supporting cast.

Agree to a point with this Bison team. No superstars but a lot of very good football players that play smart, fundamental football. Jensen will be hard to replace but the backup QB has the skills to be very good but now he has to step up and prove it.

I was impressed with Furman when they came to the FD. That team is going to be really good in '14.

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Agree to a point with this Bison team. No superstars but a lot of very good football players that play smart, fundamental football. Jensen will be hard to replace but the backup QB has the skills to be very good but now he has to step up and prove it.

I was impressed with Furman when they came to the FD. That team is going to be really good in '14.

Most Bison fans probably don't remember, but Furman not that long ago was a perennial top ten/top five team. I think we have the makings of getting back there once again.

I really enjoyed watching NDSU play this season. I think it's a brand of football Furman is going to aspire to. Finally we are starting to see signs of rebuilding depth and that physicality that was Furman's brand for so long. Looking for good things in 2014.

MR. CHICKEN
January 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM

18750…….AH AGREE…….WHEN JEREMY IRONS….LINEBACKED FO' MICHIGAN…..#1 DEFENSE NATIONALLY…..AFTERAH HE MOVED ON….SAME REMAININ' 10…..DROPPED….LIKE UH…..CITADEL
….TOSS SWEEP………xnodx….BRAWK!

BisonBacker
January 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM
18750…….AH AGREE…….WHEN JEREMY IRONS….LINEBACKED FO' MICHIGAN…..#1 DEFENSE NATIONALLY…..AFTERAH HE MOVED ON….SAME REMAININ' 10…..DROPPED….LIKE UH…..CITADEL
….TOSS SWEEP………xnodx….BRAWK!

Congrats on the 18000 post my friend.xbowx

Twentysix
January 7th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Wentz (Bismarck N.D. Century HS) who was a low level FBS quality QB recruit out of HS. He has the measurables to be a great FCS QB, but we will see if he is the field general we need.

I think he was also recruited by Central Michigan IIRC (that was several years ago though, he will be an academic JR.)

Grizalltheway
January 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I'm absolutely shocked that Fordham was not included. I would love to know TSN's reason for excluding them. Nebrich to Ajala will be the East Coast version of Adams to Kupp imo.

Maybe because they got shellacked in the first round, as PL teams are want to do? I'm sure they'll run throught the conference again, but we've all seen that doesn't mean a whole lot come playoff time.

Texas
January 7th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Tough year for us. New QB for sure and no idea who it will be. Luckily we have most of our if not all of our OL returning and a more than solid RB coming back. Along with a lot of key D players. This is the year to see what Fritz is truly made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Wentz behind Jensen is the reason Jensen had to try harder. He would also be first string in any FCS school, maybe outside of EWU. Anything can happen next year but Wentz is a better passer and maybe not as good with the run but still a threat.

Grizalltheway
January 7th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Wentz behind Jensen is the reason Jensen had to try harder. He would also be first string in any FCS school, maybe outside of EWU. Anything can happen next year but Wentz is a better passer and maybe not as good with the run but still a threat.

I doubt he would start over JJ. I guess we'll find out for sure in September.

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I doubt he would start over JJ. I guess we'll find out for sure in September.
I saw a few of your games. I think he would beat JJ for the starting spot, this guy could have easily been a starting QB in upper MAC. Good luck against NDSU next year.

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2014, 05:22 PM
He would also be first string in any FCS school, maybe outside of EWU.

You might want to rephrase that.

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 06:06 PM
You might want to rephrase that.
Oh now I am offending fans of every team. You guys have a good QB, I'll rephrase he would be 1st string on majority of teams.

underdawg
January 7th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Ok so we only have 18 starters coming back at SIU--guess that's not good enough to make the cut on this board?

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Ok so we only have 18 starters coming back at SIU--guess that's not good enough to make the cut on this board?
I think your team makes the playoffs next year.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Stupidity is probably the biggest reason. Anyone who pays attention knows that Fordham has almost everyone significant other than Carlton Koonce coming back and running backs are one of the easiest things to replace. Some people need to get out of the office and actually watch games sometimes.

clenz
January 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM
NDSU...so good our 5th string ball boy would be starting at every position on your team....and be the best in your programs history

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

tomq04
January 7th, 2014, 06:35 PM
EWU has an amazing core returning next year; hard to imagine them not having a chance to 3peat the semi-finals at home.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM
First string on ANY FCS school? Get real. This was a particularly good year for quarterbacks who established themselves in the upper reaches of FCS this season. Are you saying that Wentz would have played ahead of John Robertson of Villanova, Quinn Epperly of Princeton, Michael Nebrich of Fordham, Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois, Michael Bennett of SELU, Darius McGhee of Montana State, Jeff Mathews of Cornell, Marcus Wasilewski of Maine, Brady Attaway of SFA, Jordan Johnson of Montana, Mason Mills of San Diego, just to name a few? You obviously don't get around much. A lot of those guys are better passers and runners than Jensen (with all do respect to someone who has been an excellent field general). There are guys like Sawyer Kollmorgen of UNI and Kurt Hess of YSU in your own league who are pretty good as well. There is going to be tremendous pressure on Wertz next season in replacing Jensen, just like there was on Steve Walker's replacement back in 2008. Every team faces that when someone really good graduates. Appalachian State, the last team to win three in a row wasn't the same when Armanti Edwards graduated, going from a team that was a play or two away from the title game for the third time in four years to a team that struggled to win in the second round after Edwards left.

NDSU1980
January 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I'd definitely say NDSU will be in the hunt again, and no, they won't be as good as this year. Translation: instead of pounding everyone by 30+ during the playoffs, they'll probably only win a couple games by 7-10. There is certainly a chance they could lose but they certainly aren't going to roll over and die.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2014, 06:50 PM

Having 14 of 25 starters back really isn't that many. Having to replace 11 guys is pretty significant, even though I know from talking to Craig Bohl that he was really pleased with his depth this season.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2014, 06:51 PM
As easy as it was for NDSU they would be the favorite again. And, yes, chattanooga will be a top challenger. Definitely would have matched up better than anyone they played on the playoffs this year.

clenz
January 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Having 14 of 25 starters back really isn't that many. Having to replace 11 guys is pretty significant, even though I know from talking to Craig Bohl that he was really pleased with his depth this season.

It is no big deal when your back up qb would start at every other fcs school...and likely half of the fbs schools...at least

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM
First string on ANY FCS school? Get real. This was a particularly good year for quarterbacks who established themselves in the upper reaches of FCS this season. Are you saying that Wentz would have played ahead of John Robertson of Villanova, Quinn Epperly of Princeton, Michael Nebrich of Fordham, Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois, Michael Bennett of SELU, Darius McGhee of Montana State, Jeff Mathews of Cornell, Marcus Wasilewski of Maine, Brady Attaway of SFA, Jordan Johnson of Montana, Mason Mills of San Diego, just to name a few? You obviously don't get around much. A lot of those guys are better passers and runners than Jensen (with all do respect to someone who has been an excellent field general). There are guys like Sawyer Kollmorgen of UNI and Kurt Hess of YSU in your own league who are pretty good as well. There is going to be tremendous pressure on Wertz next season in replacing Jensen, just like there was on Steve Walker's replacement back in 2008. Every team faces that when someone really good graduates. Appalachian State, the last team to win three in a row wasn't the same when Armanti Edwards graduated, going from a team that was a play or two away from the title game for the third time in four years to a team that struggled to win in the second round after Edwards left.
Like I said anything can happen next year but Wentz is a good QB, who knows Wentz might not work out. I think he will top 5-10 QB of FCS next year. Plus I did rephrase and said he would start on majority of teams.

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Oh now I am offending fans of every team. You guys have a good QB, I'll rephrase he would be 1st string on majority of teams.

No offense taken at all ... simply making a suggestion.

Darlinikki150
January 7th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I fully expect NDSU to make a charge next year, I think UNI will also. Outside the MVFC - Chatty, Fordham, SELA(maybe), I expect the Griz to be tough but lots o issues in front of the house.

Who I hope will be good- SDSU, USD, McNeese, UNH, Towson and of course EW and SHSU.

It should be another great year at the FCS level for sure.

BisonBohl
January 7th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Pretty damn silly in my mind to compare Wentz to any of the top QB's in the FCS this year. For the simple reason we havent seen him play anywhere close enough to make that kind of claim. Kid has a great frame, works hard, and has the tools to be a good qb, time will tell if he can get it done. Until then, might want to pump the brakes...just my thought.

BisonHype!
January 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM
As easy as it was for NDSU they would be the favorite again. And, yes, chattanooga will be a top challenger. Definitely would have matched up better than anyone they played on the playoffs this year.

I think Chatty should be in the hunt, but please make an other epic Chatty thread for next year. That was damn funny. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BEAR
January 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM
From the Southland:

SELA- If the QB returns and they have equivalent talent they should go further in the playoffs than this year.
McNeese- Freakin' bipolar cowboys get their crap together they will make some noise next year.
UCA- 21 seniors. Minus the 10 season ending injuries and 10+ players with multiple game injuries I can see the Bears going 9-2 or 8-3 ..and no Mcneese on the schedule too.. New coaching and who knows what this team will look like to start the year. Rumors of nice transfers from the SEC .. hmmmmmm... likely 2nd or 3rd in conference.

Hey, last years 3rd place team, well 4th place team, won a playoff game.

centennial
January 7th, 2014, 08:05 PM
From the Southland:

SELA- If the QB returns and they have equivalent talent they should go further in the playoffs than this year.
McNeese- Freakin' bipolar cowboys get their crap together they will make some noise next year.
UCA- 21 seniors. Minus the 10 season ending injuries and 10+ players with multiple game injuries I can see the Bears going 9-2 or 8-3 ..and no Mcneese on the schedule too.. New coaching and who knows what this team will look like to start the year. Rumors of nice transfers from the SEC .. hmmmmmm... likely 2nd or 3rd in conference.

Hey, last years 3rd place team, well 4th place team, won a playoff game.
You cereal? No Sam Houston?

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
From the Southland:

Where's he going?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
It is no big deal when your back up qb would start at every other fcs school...and likely half of the fbs schools...at least

Or like how poor UNI had so many injuries and should have made the playoffs....xcoffeex

Mr. C
January 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I think Chatty should be in the hunt, but please make an other epic Chatty thread for next year. That was damn funny. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
It shouldn't be hard for one of those to pop up again in August. UTC hasn't won a significant game since the 1980s.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Maybe because they got shellacked in the first round, as PL teams are want to do? I'm sure they'll run throught the conference again, but we've all seen that doesn't mean a whole lot come playoff time.
You obviously don't have much of a clue about Fordham from what you wrote above. Best wide receivers and tight end combination this side of Eastern Washington and one of the best QBs in the country when he is healthy. He can beat you with his legs and his arm. I saw Fordham four times in person and that offense has the ability to put points up on almost any team in FCS. I wouldn't say Fordham got shellacked by Towson. The Rams got worn down in the second half in what was a very entertaining game. I will flat out say Fordham was better than Montana this season and the Rams have almost everyone returning. They also have one of the best coaches in FCS. Fordham also had a BCS win over Temple and beat ranked teams from Villanova and Lehigh. Your statement on the Patriot League shows little connection with reality. The PL has beaten UNI, Towson and Sacred Heart in first round games in three of the past four playoff years. Holy Cross played Villanova every bit as tough as Montana did in Nova's 2009 championship season and Lafayette came very close to a first-round upset at App State during the Mountaineers' 2005 title campaign. If Fordham improves on defense, particularly in rush defense, the Rams have a legitimate shot at playing for the FCS title in 2014-15.

Darlinikki150
January 8th, 2014, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. C;2085610]You obviously don't have much of a clue about Fordham from what you wrote above. Best wide receivers and tight end combination this side of Eastern Washington and one of the best QBs in the country when he is healthy. He can beat you with his legs and his arm. I saw Fordham four times in person and that offense has the ability to put points up on almost any team in FCS. I wouldn't say Fordham got shellacked by Towson. The Rams got worn down in the second half in what was a very entertaining game. I will flat out say Fordham was better than Montana this season and the Rams have almost everyone returning. They also have one of the best coaches in FCS. Fordham also had a BCS win over Temple and beat ranked teams from Villanova and Lehigh. Your statement on the Patriot League shows little connection with reality. The PL has beaten UNI, Towson and Sacred Heart in first round games in three of the past four playoff years. Holy Cross played Villanova every bit as tough as Montana did in Nova's 2009 championship season and Lafayette came very close to a first-round upset at App State during the Mountaineers' 2005 title campaign. If Fordham improves on defense, particularly in rush defense, the Rams have a legitimate shot at playing for the FCS title in 2014-15.[/QU

Reading that I was thinking, what about the defense??? You got to it thankfully. I don't fully agree about a title run, but deeper run into the playoffs for sure.

mgbison
January 8th, 2014, 04:02 AM
In the MVFC,

1. UNI - I'd peg them as the favorites, they return a lot. I question their depth, but are as talented as anyone. NDSU play at UNI, adavantage UNI.
2. NDSU - If Wentz lives up to the hype, will be a top 4 seed. Defense shouldn't miss a beat. If we can score 20 points a game, I don't see us losing more than a game or two.

Mattymc727
January 8th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Any Nova fans want to chime in? They can make a serious run next year, looking at their returning 2-deep.

RabidRabbit
January 8th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Out of the MVFC -
*UNI (barring injuries to their top three like occurred this season) - 1st
*SDSU - 2nd - Returning top in conference QB, RB, and receiver, weakness will be whether O-line is as dominant as 2013.
*NDSU - 3rd - new coaching system (somewhat) -
SIU - 4th
MSU - 5th
USD - 6th
YSU - 7th
WIU - 8th
IL St - 9th
IN St - 10th

*Make play-offs. Another 4 team tie at 5-3 gets 3 of 4 at 5-3 in.

BEAR
January 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
You cereal? No Sam Houston? Its not like when at UCA the Bears lost a really good QB like Nathan Brown...you guys lost:

Forbes Baggett (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954755&Q_SEASON=2013)
DT
6-2
Sr.
3L
Huntsville (Huntsville)

Jesse Beauchamp (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=3749030&Q_SEASON=2013)
LB
6-0
Sr.
3L
Klein (Collins)

Brian Bell (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954757&Q_SEASON=2013)
QB
6-2
Sr.
3L
China Spring (China Spring)

Matt Boyles (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=3749031&Q_SEASON=2013)
OL
6-3
Sr.
2L
Southlake (Carroll)

Tanner Brock (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=208956760&Q_SEASON=2013)
LB
6-3
Sr.
TR
Copperas Cove (Copperas Cove) (TCU)

Jarrett Brown (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205240258&Q_SEASON=2013)
DL
6-3
Sr.
2L
Arlington (Bowie) (Oklahoma)

Eric Fieilo (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=3749033&Q_SEASON=2013)
LB
5-11
Sr.
3L
Euless (Trinity)

Timothy Flanders (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204998532&Q_SEASON=2013)
RB
5-9
Sr.
3L
Midwest City, Okla. (Kansas State) (Midwest City)

Johntel Franklin (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209001563&Q_SEASON=2013)
S
6-2
Sr.
TR
Milwaukee, Wisc. (Madison) (Texas A&M)

Ken Jones (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954769&Q_SEASON=2013)
DS
6-1
Sr.
3L
Spring (Klein Collins)

DeAntrey Loche (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205160633&Q_SEASON=2013)
CB
5-10
Sr.
2L
Diboll (Diboll)

Gary Lorance (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954772&Q_SEASON=2013)
DL
6-0
Sr.
3L
New Boston (New Boston)

Richard Sincere (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=3749268&Q_SEASON=2013)
WR
5-10
Sr.
3L
Galveston (Ball)

Bookie Sneed (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954822&Q_SEASON=2013)
CB
6-0
Sr.
3L
Conroe (Conroe)

Andrew Weaver (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205240459&Q_SEASON=2013)
DE
6-1
Sr.
2L
Waco (Waco) (Texas A&M)

Torrance Williams (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204974761&Q_SEASON=2013)
WR
5-8
Sr.
3L
Waco (Connally)

Ryan Wilson (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954864&Q_SEASON=2013)
RB
5-10
Sr.
3L
Carrollton (Creekview

Maybe the reality of that hasn't set in yet. But it will. Yeah, you have some really good players coming back, but even with them you still couldn't beat an injury riddled Bear team. Next year SELA and McNeese will both be pretty good and UCA will return everyone who beat you the last two years. Yeah the coach is different, but the players are the same. We'll see what will happen but I just don't think SAM will make it to the playoffs next year after losing all that talent.

Here's UCA's schedule for next year: What part of it do you see as difficult looking at how the Bears have done historically. I (minus Texas Tech and I'll even go SELA with their team ) Unsure about Montana State though...

Sat.
8/30/2014
Texas Tech (http://texastech.cstv.com/)
Lubbock, Texas

Details (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0))

Sat.
9/6/2014
University of Tennessee at Martin (http://www.utmsports.com/)
CONWAY

Sat.
9/13/2014
Montana State University (http://www.msubobcats.com/)
Bozeman, MT
TBA

Sat.
9/20/2014
Missouri State University (http://www.missouristatebears.com/)
CONWAY

Sat.
9/27/2014
Nicholls State University (http://geauxcolonels.com/)
CONWAY

Sat.
10/4/2014
Stephen F. Austin State University (http://sfajacks.cstv.com/)
Nacogdoches, TX

Sat.
10/11/2014
Houston Baptist University (http://www.hbuhuskies.com/)
CONWAY

Sat.
10/18/2014
Southeastern Louisiana University (http://www.lionsports.net/)
Hammond, LA

Sat.
10/25/2014
Northwestern State University (http://www.nsudemons.com/)
CONWAY

Sat.
11/1/2014
Abilene Christian University (http://www.acusports.com/)
Abilene, TX

Sat.
11/8/2014
Lamar University (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/)
CONWAY

Sat.
11/15/2014
OPEN

Sat.
11/22/2014
Sam Houston State University (http://www.gobearkats.com/)
Huntsville, TX

KUlawJack
January 8th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Out of the MVFC -
*UNI (barring injuries to their top three like occurred this season) - 1st
*SDSU - 2nd - Returning top in conference QB, RB, and receiver, weakness will be whether O-line is as dominant as 2013.
*NDSU - 3rd - new coaching system (somewhat) -
SIU - 4th
MSU - 5th
USD - 6th
YSU - 7th
WIU - 8th
IL St - 9th
IN St - 10th

*Make play-offs. Another 4 team tie at 5-3 gets 3 of 4 at 5-3 in.

Biggest question to me isn't the offensive line, but the defensive line. We lose three starters up front and another guy who played quite a bit. Hopefully we can shore up the depth there.

Offensive line, while losing a few starters, has a ton of depth due to injuries over the last couple years so we should be good there.

BisonBacker
January 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Biggest question to me isn't the offensive line, but the defensive line. We lose three starters up front and another guy who played quite a bit. Hopefully we can shore up the depth there.

Offensive line, while losing a few starters, has a ton of depth due to injuries over the last couple years so we should be good there.

I think the biggest loss without debate or question is Billy Turner. You don't get players like that at this level very often and he was a huge reason for our success on offense. We'll be ok but replacing him is going to be very very tough. Brock had a huge advantage that Carson won't being behind Billy.
"EDIT" I should have said Brock and all the running backs had a huge advantage playing behind Billy. The man was a monster blocker on defenses and opened up some huge holes/lanes for our backs.

"2nd Edit" haha I just realized I replied to KULawJack talking about SDSU. Well you all got the point anyway xlolx

kalm
January 8th, 2014, 09:58 AM
You obviously don't have much of a clue about Fordham from what you wrote above. Best wide receivers and tight end combination this side of Eastern Washington and one of the best QBs in the country when he is healthy. He can beat you with his legs and his arm. I saw Fordham four times in person and that offense has the ability to put points up on almost any team in FCS. I wouldn't say Fordham got shellacked by Towson. The Rams got worn down in the second half in what was a very entertaining game. I will flat out say Fordham was better than Montana this season and the Rams have almost everyone returning. They also have one of the best coaches in FCS. Fordham also had a BCS win over Temple and beat ranked teams from Villanova and Lehigh. Your statement on the Patriot League shows little connection with reality. The PL has beaten UNI, Towson and Sacred Heart in first round games in three of the past four playoff years. Holy Cross played Villanova every bit as tough as Montana did in Nova's 2009 championship season and Lafayette came very close to a first-round upset at App State during the Mountaineers' 2005 title campaign. If Fordham improves on defense, particularly in rush defense, the Rams have a legitimate shot at playing for the FCS title in 2014-15.

Lets not get carried away now. Fordham had a good season but they loss to the only two playoff teams they faced. Nova was a quality win and a step in the right direction as was Temple. But Temple was also Idaho's only win. Idaho would have finished mid-pack Big Sky at best the last two seasons.

I watched Temple play SHU and they look decent but still a little smaller and slower than I'd expect of an elite FCS team that could contend for a championship. They are noticeably behind a JSU (for example) when it comes to athleticism.

To use a little of your own argument in the Sagarin thread, Fordham would struggle with the week in, week out battle of CAA or BSC schedule. I'm guessing they'd finish with 5-8 wins. I'd also suggest that the passing game numbers would suffer a bit against superior secondaries.

To take what they accomplished this year and suggest a title run is quite the leap. Stranger things have happened, but still quite the leap. Win playoff games against higher quality opponents like CCU and JSU did and now we're talking.

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2014, 10:01 AM
What's the deal with W&M? Do they return the core of their defense. Will their offense improve?

BisonBacker
January 8th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Good Lord you are back already? You sure didn't waste anytime to start spouting drivel again. Oh well it's a new year but it's the same old song and dance for you xsmhx

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Good Lord you are back already? You sure didn't waste anytime to start spouting drivel again. Oh well it's a new year but it's the same old song and dance for you xsmhx

Save all that. It's one thing to say you'd go to Fargo and show NDSU what for, and quite another to actually do it.

Unfortunately for UTC, they continue to fumble away opportunities. You have to earn the right to play in those games, and they most certainly have not.

tribe_pride
January 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM
What's the deal with W&M? Do they return the core of their defense. Will their offense improve?

7 of 11 return on defense and 8 of 11 on offense I think. Kicker and punter return as well

Key like this year will be our QB play. If continue to be injured and/or subpar, we will have troubles. If improved, we will have an opportunity to be a force.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I think NDSU should be a national title contender (top 5 team) to start the season but not a favorite by any means. In 2008, the Bison also had a lauded 4th year junior at QB taking over for a legendary QB and he folded under game pressure. We don't know that Wentz will do that but we don't know that he won't either. Couple that with basically a new coaching staff and there's a lot of unknowns surrounding NDSU that's going to make them tough to gauge in the preseason. We'll all have a better idea once the non-conference schedule is completed.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I think NDSU should be a national title contender (top 5 team) to start the season but not a favorite by any means. In 2008, the Bison also had a lauded 4th year junior at QB taking over for a legendary QB and he folded under game pressure. We don't know that Wentz will do that but we don't know that he won't either. Couple that with basically a new coaching staff and there's a lot of unknowns surrounding NDSU that's going to make them tough to gauge in the preseason. We'll all have a better idea once the non-conference schedule is completed.

I think Mertens was the exception. It is not coincidence that NDSU has managed to keep up a level of success for decades.

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 12:06 PM

The benefit of having a great starting quarterback for three seasons is that you are really good. The only downside, of course, is that the other guys don't get a lot of playing time. The NDSU backup has 34 career passing attempts, which is about 1100 fewer than Jensen.

Kid might be a great player, but at this stage, no one really knows what he's going to do next year. As has been shown time and again in FCS football (and to a large degree FBS football), a good quarterback can instantaneously make your team really good.

Tribe4SF
January 8th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Yes, the core of the defense returns. Four all conference picks back from a unit that had a lot of depth. Seven starters and 17 from the two-deep return.

QB remains the question mark for the offense. Hope is that Raphael Ortiz will be healthy for spring and compete with rFr. Jhalil Mosley who has been highly touted but also sat out the fall with injury. OL looks solid again and all of the RBs, FBs and WRs return along with starting TE.

LeadBolt
January 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Based on the small sample of games I see and the distance from the CAA I live, this maybe off the wall, but I think Richmond could very well be the class of the CAA next year. I expect Villanova and Delaware to improve as well. UNH will be good, but imho could finish anywhere between 1 and 7. I'm not ready to anoint them just yet.

If W&M improves on offense (which to me requires a step up in QB play and successful retooling the O-line to play at this years level) we will be in the hunt as well. The rest of the pieces seem to be in place barring excessive injuries.

With the graduation losses at Maine and Towson, I think they will each take a half step back from this year, but remain dangerous and capable of winning as well.

I have little idea what to expect from the rest of the league. I tend to think that coaching changes hamper a program the first year, so don't think JMU and Albany will be in the hunt, but who knows. I don't know enough about Rhode Island, Stony Brook or Elon to venture an educated opinion, but might guess with SB's history and a year to adjust to the CAA, they could be in the mix as well.

As far as the national championship goes, the top 2-3 teams from the CAA will be in a position to compete based upon pairings and breaks, but none should be considered a favorite to make it to the finals at this point.

thebootfitter
January 8th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Wow, I'm actually starting to think that maybe I haven't given chattownmocs enough credit for being reasonable. I was expecting you to say that UTC would have smoked the Bison in the playoffs if they had the opportunity. To concede that UTC may not have won is a step in the right direction. :D

chattownmocs
January 8th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Save all that. It's one thing to say you'd go to Fargo and show NDSU what for, and quite another to actually do it.

Unfortunately for UTC, they continue to fumble away opportunities. You have to earn the right to play in those games, and they most certainly have not.

If I'm not mistaken furman went 8-6

NoDak 4 Ever
January 8th, 2014, 04:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken furman went 8-6

That doesn't have anything to do with his original thesis. UTC would have gotten trucked by NDSU as I predicted about 5 months ago.

chattownmocs
January 8th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Wow, I'm actually starting to think that maybe I haven't given chattownmocs enough credit for being reasonable. I was expecting you to say that UTC would have smoked the Bison in the playoffs if they had the opportunity. To concede that UTC may not have won is a step in the right direction. :D

The bison rolled and proved themselves to be the truly dominant team in FCS football and even backed up claims of being an above average FBS team. Chattanooga would not have won there. If fully healthy I would say 3 tds would have been a reasonable prediction with NDSU pulling away late. Furman is and was a poor mans chattanooga and they were probably the bisons toughest test. Wait for the furman fans to tell us how they earned their mindless tiebreaker.

chattownmocs
January 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM
That doesn't have anything to do with his original thesis. UTC would have gotten trucked by NDSU as I predicted about 5 months ago.

His thesis was that chattanooga didn't earn a chance and furman earned their obscure tiebreaker.

centennial
January 8th, 2014, 06:18 PM
His thesis was that chattanooga didn't earn a chance and furman earned their obscure tiebreaker.
There were multiple teams that could have done better in the Playoffs but couldn't make it. Your conference strength was low, if you want more teams then start beating teams in OOC. NCAA uses a poor rating system that allow marginal teams to take spots.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Lets not get carried away now. Fordham had a good season but they loss to the only two playoff teams they faced. Nova was a quality win and a step in the right direction as was Temple. But Temple was also Idaho's only win. Idaho would have finished mid-pack Big Sky at best the last two seasons.

I watched Temple play SHU and they look decent but still a little smaller and slower than I'd expect of an elite FCS team that could contend for a championship. They are noticeably behind a JSU (for example) when it comes to athleticism.

To use a little of your own argument in the Sagarin thread, Fordham would struggle with the week in, week out battle of CAA or BSC schedule. I'm guessing they'd finish with 5-8 wins. I'd also suggest that the passing game numbers would suffer a bit against superior secondaries.

To take what they accomplished this year and suggest a title run is quite the leap. Stranger things have happened, but still quite the leap. Win playoff games against higher quality opponents like CCU and JSU did and now we're talking.
Fordham actually finished 2-1 against CAA opponents and if you add the Temple game, that was kind of like going 3-1 against CAA-type schools. The Lafayette loss (the other playoff team you are mentioning) was without all-everything QB Michael Nebrich, who you could make an argument for as the top QB in FCS this season (I watched all of the best other than Michael Bennett in person at least once each this season and saw all of them multiple times on film), due to injury. I have had the opportunity to see Temple several years in a row in person with the games the Owls have played with Villanova and Fordham, so I am very familiar with their personnel. Temple lost a lot of NFL-caliber talent between 2012 and 2013 as Al Golden's recruits started to depart the program, so the Owls were a little less athletic and less talented on the offensive and defensive fronts in particular. Fordham actually should have beaten Temple by about 20 points, but a couple of key mistakes allowed the Owls back in the game (an ill-advised fake punt leading to one Temple score in the first half when the Owls were being throttled by the Fordham defense, for one). I saw Fordham play four times in person and was very impressed with the skill position talent. When Fordham beat Villanova, it was before the Cats had suffered all of those devastating injuries (actually several of them occurred in this game). Nova was ranked in the top-five at that time as I remember. That was a playoff-caliber team and was the CAA favorite at that time, coming off a game where the Cats had a chance to beat Boston College with another play or two.

From your post, I think you meant you saw Fordham play Sacred Heart, which is a lot better in the early stages of its program than people realize. I saw Sacred Heart's opener and final game during the year and was impressed with the development of the Pioneers from start to finish.

I also had the opportunity to have some interesting talks with several coaches who played these two FCS teams and, in one case, the former receivers coach at Fordham in depth. I also have talked to NFL sources and all agree that the Fordham receivers are as good as anyone group in FCS. Sam Ajala had the light-bulb go on this season and is as good as any receiver in FCS. I would rank him right behind Erik Lora as a first-team All-America (our CSJ All-America team is set for release later this week). Tebucky Jones Jr. is similarly talented to his former NFL namesake and father. Dan Light was one of the top TEs I saw this year, which is saying something when you consider it was one of the best positions, talent-wise of any in FCS this year. Light's best game, incidently, was against Towson and Ajala was very good against the better schools on the schedule. Brian Wetzel is one of the best possession receivers for a team in the country and Jorge Solano was just a freshman, who showed some speed and talent for the future. And Joe Moorhead is a coach that will go places. He is very bright. A lot of coaches I respect (Al Bagnoli of Penn immediately comes to mind) have been talking about Fordham's build-up of talent for two or three years (despite the record in previous seasons). Just file this one away, I think the 2014 Rams will be one of the best teams coming out of the Patriot League in many years.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM
The bison rolled and proved themselves to be the truly dominant team in FCS football and even backed up claims of being an above average FBS team. Chattanooga would not have won there. If fully healthy I would say 3 tds would have been a reasonable prediction with NDSU pulling away late. Furman is and was a poor mans chattanooga and they were probably the bisons toughest test. Wait for the furman fans to tell us how they earned their mindless tiebreaker.
At the end of the season, Furman was CLEARLY the best team in the SoCon. Be glad your team caught the Paladins when they were still saddled with so many injuries.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Fordham actually finished 2-1 against CAA opponents and if you add the Temple game, that was kind of like going 3-1 against CAA-type schools. The Lafayette loss (the other playoff team you are mentioning) was without all-everything QB Michael Nebrich, who you could make an argument for as the top QB in FCS this season (I watched all of the best other than Michael Bennett in person at least once each this season and saw all of them multiple times on film), due to injury. I have had the opportunity to see Temple several years in a row in person with the games the Owls have played with Villanova and Fordham, so I am very familiar with their personnel. Temple lost a lot of NFL-caliber talent between 2012 and 2013 as Al Golden's recruits started to depart the program, so the Owls were a little less athletic and less talented on the offensive and defensive fronts in particular. Fordham actually should have beaten Temple by about 20 points, but a couple of key mistakes allowed the Owls back in the game (an ill-advised fake punt leading to one Temple score in the first half when the Owls were being throttled by the Fordham defense, for one). I saw Fordham play four times in person and was very impressed with the skill position talent. When Fordham beat Villanova, it was before the Cats had suffered all of those devastating injuries (actually several of them occurred in this game). Nova was ranked in the top-five at that time as I remember. That was a playoff-caliber team and was the CAA favorite at that time, coming off a game where the Cats had a chance to beat Boston College with another play or two.

From your post, I think you meant you saw Fordham play Sacred Heart, which is a lot better in the early stages of its program than people realize. I saw Sacred Heart's opener and final game during the year and was impressed with the development of the Pioneers from start to finish.

I also had the opportunity to have some interesting talks with several coaches who played these two FCS teams and, in one case, the former receivers coach at Fordham in depth. I also have talked to NFL sources and all agree that the Fordham receivers are as good as anyone group in FCS. Sam Ajala had the light-bulb go on this season and is as good as any receiver in FCS. I would rank him right behind Erik Lora as a first-team All-America (our CSJ All-America team is set for release later this week). Tebucky Jones Jr. is similarly talented to his former NFL namesake and father. Dan Light was one of the top TEs I saw this year, which is saying something when you consider it was one of the best positions, talent-wise of any in FCS this year. Light's best game, incidently, was against Towson and Ajala was very good against the better schools on the schedule. Brian Wetzel is one of the best possession receivers for a team in the country and Jorge Solano was just a freshman, who showed some speed and talent for the future. And Joe Moorhead is a coach that will go places. He is very bright. A lot of coaches I respect (Al Bagnoli of Penn immediately comes to mind) have been talking about Fordham's build-up of talent for two or three years (despite the record in previous seasons). Just file this one away, I think the 2014 Rams will be one of the best teams coming out of the Patriot League in many years.

Temple showed their talent as the year went on. We lost a couple of close games late in the year that were beyond ridiculous. The loss to UCF has been well documented on ESPN's Top 10 list. There's also the collapse against UConn and the perplexing play calling against Rutgers. Temple showed a lot promise the final month. I hate to go the what if route, but, I think Temple beats Fordham by 2 TD's if that game is played later in the year.

Do you think they'll be better than Lehigh's 2011 team? I know they lost to NDSU in the quarters but they dominated the PL, ended the season ranked 5th and Lum finished 2nd in the Payton voting. Had Lehigh not faced NDSU I really believe they could have made it to Frisco. Is Fordham capable of making it to the finals? I'd like to think so. I believe they entered the 2003 year ranked #8. It might be hard for them to top that in the media polls this year given some bias imo. I'll have them Top 5-7. It'll be interested to see how they handle being the hunted from the start of the season onward. Lehigh and Lafayette, I believe have the talent to at least "challenge" them if they play up.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Based on the small sample of games I see and the distance from the CAA I live, this maybe off the wall, but I think Richmond could very well be the class of the CAA next year. I expect Villanova and Delaware to improve as well. UNH will be good, but imho could finish anywhere between 1 and 7. I'm not ready to anoint them just yet.

If W&M improves on offense (which to me requires a step up in QB play and successful retooling the O-line to play at this years level) we will be in the hunt as well. The rest of the pieces seem to be in place barring excessive injuries.

With the graduation losses at Maine and Towson, I think they will each take a half step back from this year, but remain dangerous and capable of winning as well.

I have little idea what to expect from the rest of the league. I tend to think that coaching changes hamper a program the first year, so don't think JMU and Albany will be in the hunt, but who knows. I don't know enough about Rhode Island, Stony Brook or Elon to venture an educated opinion, but might guess with SB's history and a year to adjust to the CAA, they could be in the mix as well.

As far as the national championship goes, the top 2-3 teams from the CAA will be in a position to compete based upon pairings and breaks, but none should be considered a favorite to make it to the finals at this point.
Richmond is still trying to develop the talent that fits Danny Rocco's system. The Spiders will be a lot closer to that in 2014 and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the CAA title chase.

Don't be surprised if Towson doesn't have some significant recruiting success with Rob Ambrose signing his new extension to 2020. I don't expect them to be quite as good as this season, but don't count the Tigers out.

Villanova will be very good again, if the Cats can stay healthy. John Robertson is one of the best players in FCS, period, and if he has some playmakers around him in 2014, VU will be dangerous and a national contender. The Cats need to rebuild on the offensive and defensive lines, but everything else should be in place and a lot of significant guys return from injury.

William & Mary has a talented young QB who will be given the reigns as a sophomore, so the offense should be so much better to go with that dominant defense that was second only to NDSU among defenses I saw this year.

New Hampshire will be good offensively, though the Wildcats could use a replacement for Harris at WR. I'm not sure if the UNH defense was the one we saw late, or the one that was so bad early.

Delaware has some talent back on offense, but will improve if the defense improves (though it will be hard to replace Kerr at DT).

Stony Brook had some adjustments and lost some guys to injury, but should be very improved. Chuck Priore also has the ability to get transfer like Towson and Delaware seem to be able to.

Everett Withers will be good for JMU, but who knows if the Dukes will even be around FCS for 2014. I was told by sources close to the program that JMU would be leaving all the way back in July.

Big_Fan
January 8th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Hopefully we will stay under the radar.

Based on this thread, you will get your wish.

Pay no mind that an offense that had 9 new starters and a whole new system in 2013 will have 10 back in 2014 - along with improved depth... and a defense that went from being ranked 105th in total defense in 2012 to 57th in 2013 under a new staff returns 8 starters and significantly improved depth.

We were a really, really young team in 2013 - and had a new coaching staff (many of whom were first year college coaches).

Move along... there is nothing to see here :)

No reason to think JSU is a threat.

Chatty will roll us... if you don't believe me, just ask them.

chattownmocs
January 9th, 2014, 12:37 AM
At the end of the season, Furman was CLEARLY the best team in the SoCon. Be glad your team caught the Paladins when they were still saddled with so many injuries.

Chattanooga was the best team from start to finish. Furman is not Chattanoogas level. Chattanooga dominated furman in all aspects. No one in the socon did that to chattanooga even when they were decimated with injuries.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Chattanooga was the best team from start to finish. Furman is not Chattanoogas level. Chattanooga dominated furman in all aspects. No one in the socon did that to chattanooga even when they were decimated with injuries.

Tell us all again why Chattanooga didn't make the playoffs? Was it because they lost the games they needed to win to control their own destiny while Furman & Samford won the games they needed to?

chattownmocs
January 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Tell us all again why Chattanooga didn't make the playoffs? Was it because they lost the games they needed to win to control their own destiny while Furman & Samford won the games they needed to?

Injuries to key players built up starting with Lott, then Williams, than miller, then huesman, ultimately the kicker clanked one in OT to stop a substantial win streak at Samford. Really the biggest problem was the terrible start against UT Martin and the robbery at Paulson. But make no mistake. Furman and Samford. Came back to TIE chattanooga. A silly tiebreaker is what elevated a 5, now 6 loss furman. The Ignorant NCAA is who elevated a Samford team that was plain bad by the end of the year. Not because of a multitude of injuries that had a chance to heal like was the case for chattanooga. Just because they got worse offensively and defensively as the year progressed. The playoff field chosen by the NCAA was an embarrassment to the sport of college football. I saw some weak ass performances, and I'm not even talking about anyone who played NDSU.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Injuries to key players built up starting with Lott, then Williams, than miller, then huesman, ultimately the kicker clanked one in OT to stop a substantial win streak at Samford. Really the biggest problem was the terrible start against UT Martin and the robbery at Paulson. But make no mistake. Furman and Samford. Came back to TIE chattanooga. A silly tiebreaker is what elevated a 5, now 6 loss furman. The Ignorant NCAA is who elevated a Samford team that was plain bad by the end of the year. Not because of a multitude of injuries that had a chance to heal like was the case for chattanooga. Just because they got worse offensively and defensively as the year progressed. The playoff field chosen by the NCAA was an embarrassment to the sport of college football. I saw some weak ass performances, and I'm not even talking about anyone who played NDSU.
That "just plain bad" Samford team beat UTC. Still waiting to see the Mocs win a significant game since the decade of the 80s.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 04:38 AM

The point is Furman earned the right to play NDSU. They handled their business. They won the same number of conference games UTC did and beat the two teams that beat UTC. What tie breaker were you preferring?

At the end of the day, UTC was the only team in the conference that held its destiny. They blew it. They lost to a Samford team that, by the end of the season, was as cold as any team in the country (as evidenced by two blowout losses to Furman and JSU and a furious comeback to beat woeful Elon on the final play of the game).

The problem with UTC is they don't finish the drill. This is year three or four now where the Mocs fall apart late in games, don't close out wins, and don't win an outright conference championship when right in front of them. Want to play NDSU? Beat Samford.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 06:40 AM

UTC was never decimated with injuries at quarterback. You continue to ignore that Furman played UTC on the road with a true freshman fourth string quarterback in his second college start.

UTC may have won the game regardless, but if you think UTC's game against Furman wouldn't have been a touch closer with Hannon under center, you're kidding yourself. Furman was 8-3 with Hannon with losses to LSU, NDSU, and Coastal Carolina. If UTC's offense struggled to score against Samford (a defense that gave up a boat load of points the latter half of the season), imagine what it'd look like with the last guy on the bench playing QB.

Besides, it doesn't matter. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Furman beat Georgia Southern and Samford. UTC beat neither. What's your point?

Vitojr130
January 9th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Meh, I'm not worried. We lost a bunch of starters, but our second string played almost equally as much due to the rotation system the coaches put in place to keep players fresh. This is especially true on defense. NDSU will be fine next year and I think will make a run in the playoffs.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Meh, I'm not worried. We lost a bunch of starters, but our second string played almost equally as much due to the rotation system the coaches put in place to keep players fresh. This is especially true on defense. NDSU will be fine next year and I think will make a run in the playoffs.

No one would doubt that. App State was still a playoff team after Edwards graduated. They just weren't a four touchdown favorite at home.

Silenoz
January 9th, 2014, 11:41 AM
No mention of Montana State? They graduate McGhee, Bleskin, Kirk, and Daly, but will improve at those positions with their amazing depth and talent. Plus it was only bad luck and injuries that kept them out of Frisco this year.

Or at least that's what they tell me xlolx

kalm
January 9th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the informative response and I agree that Fordham is improving. My point is that they still don't pass the eyeball test as a title contender yet, and they went 3-3 against quality competition...if you want to count URI and Lafayette as quality. If they prove me wrong and make it to even the semi's, I'll be surprised simply based on pass performance. But it would be a pleasant surprise as greater competition from the historically weak conferences is good for FCS.

FWIW... I'm keeping my eye on JSU in this regard.

THE HERD
January 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM
In no particular order:
1) UNI
2) NDSU
3) EWU
4) SELA
5) Furman
6) SDSU
7) UNH
8) UM
9) JSU- assuming they didn't lose a lot from this year.

Bisonator
January 9th, 2014, 12:27 PM
In no particular order:
1) UNI
2) NDSU
3) EWU
4) SELA
5) Furman
6) SDSU
7) UNH
8) UM

You forgot one: 10) MSU - the always overrated cats. :D

centennial
January 9th, 2014, 01:07 PM
No mention of Montana State? They graduate McGhee, Bleskin, Kirk, and Daly, but will improve at those positions with their amazing depth and talent. Plus it was only bad luck and injuries that kept them out of Frisco this year.

Or at least that's what they tell me xlolx
Wait, what? Montana State? This was supposed to be their year with all the seniors. They were still better than a few playoff teams but would have gotten embarrassed by most teams. Maybe they should have played NDSU to see how far they were. They would be lucky to be top 4 big sky this coming season.

Tiger12
January 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Expect CAA to be a very tight race.

Towson has some huge holes to fill but this is all pending signees and transfers. Rumors are are good thing in Tigertown right now but they are still just that, rumors. Do expect them to be near the top but not like we saw this year. Losing 4 starters on Oline is really tough

W&M if healthy is really dangerous IMO- defense is smothering

Nova is scary too with Robertson at the helm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Cocky
January 9th, 2014, 02:12 PM
In no particular order:
1) UNI
2) NDSU
3) EWU
4) SELA
5) Furman
6) SDSU
7) UNH
8) UM

We lose one offensive starter and I believe 4 or 5 on defense.

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the informative response and I agree that Fordham is improving. My point is that they still don't pass the eyeball test as a title contender yet, and they went 3-3 against quality competition...if you want to count URI and Lafayette as quality. If they prove me wrong and make it to even the semi's, I'll be surprised simply based on pass performance. But it would be a pleasant surprise as greater competition from the historically weak conferences is good for FCS.

FWIW... I'm keeping my eye on JSU in this regard.

One thing that sticks out to me is Fordham gave up a lot of points. If they can tighten up their defense, they will improve their playoff run.

kalm
January 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM
We lose one offensive starter and I believe 4 or 5 on defense.

Easily a top ten team, with a shot at a seed, and semifinall appearance if not more.

Silenoz
January 9th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Wait, what? Montana State? This was supposed to be their year with all the seniors. They were still better than a few playoff teams but would have gotten embarrassed by most teams. Maybe they should have played NDSU to see how far they were. They would be lucky to be top 4 big sky this coming season.

Every year is their year

LeadBolt
January 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I don't get all the love UNH is getting. They are very good, but based upon the 3 games I saw of their's (TV not in person), of Towson, W&M and NDSU, I just don't get it. If I had to guess, at this point I would put them about 4 in the CAA next year, although as I said before I wouldn't be hugely surprised at anything from 1 to 7.

lionsrking2
January 9th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I don't get all the love UNH is getting. They are very good, but based upon the 3 games I saw of their's (TV not in person), of Towson, W&M and NDSU, I just don't get it. If I had to guess, at this point I would put them about 4 in the CAA next year, although as I said before I wouldn't be hugely surprised at anything from 1 to 7.

UNH wasn't the most talented team we played, by far, but you could see their week to week improvement on video, and I thought they were as well-coached as anybody we played. Granted, we were banged up on offense going into the game, but they had us scouted extremely well and executed their game plan to near perfection. The QB was impressive and they had what I would call a good, solid, supporting cast. If they can add a couple of pieces during recruiting, I definitely think they can be a factor in 2014.

Grizalltheway
January 9th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Easily a top ten team, with a shot at a seed, and semifinall appearance if not more.

Sounds like someone's trying to creat a JSU bubble...xcoffeex

tribe_pride
January 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM

UNH made it to the Semis so we know they are strong though I don't know what they lose. You apparently also watched their last 3 losses in which time they also had 9 wins including twice over Maine and once over SE Louisiana and Lafayette.

Being a W&M fan, you also know that UNH could be undefeated and W&M have no wins and W&M would somehow beat UNH. For some unknown reason, we just almost always have their number. And Towson and NDSU made a number of good teams look bad this year.

BEAR
January 9th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I wonder how SAM getting a new coach and losing all that talent will affect their chances of making the playoffs again.

kalm
January 9th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Sounds like someone's trying to creat a JSU bubble...xcoffeex

xlolx

They eta really were impressive, and with Garropollo gone they should be the OVC favorite and get a couple of home games.

Nickels
January 9th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I wonder how SAM getting a new coach and losing all that talent will affect their chances of making the playoffs again.
IMO we wouldn't have made the playoffs anyway.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 9th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Montana State is in for a rough season in 2014 imo. I can't see them finishing any higher than about 5th or 6th in the BSC.

Silenoz
January 9th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Montana State is in for a rough season in 2014 imo. I can't see them finishing any higher than about 5th or 6th in the BSC.
xviolinx

As for Montana, I think we'll make the playoffs on the strength of what should be an exemplary offense. But until Gregorak shows that he can put together a defensive package that isn't embarrassing us every other game, I'll just leave it at that. A playoff appearance.

UCMoc
January 9th, 2014, 11:04 PM
It shouldn't be hard for one of those to pop up again in August. UTC hasn't won a significant game since the 1980s.
I would say that taking down the number one ranked Marshall team in 94 was something, and maybe over #10 Jacksonville State two years ago, or even this year's win over #15 Woodford.

Screw the facts, you just want to rip us because we have Chattown. At least try to get your **** straight.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say that taking down the number one ranked Marshall team in 94 was something, and maybe over #10 Jacksonville State two years ago, or even this year's win over #15 Woodford.

Screw the facts, you just want to rip us because we have Chattown. At least try to get your **** straight.

Nickels
January 9th, 2014, 11:41 PM

- - - Updated - - -

All that in only 20 years? Wow that's impressive...xrolleyesx

lionsrking2
January 10th, 2014, 12:37 AM

It's hard to say until they get a new staff in place, and even then, you won't know until a couple of games into conference play. They have a fairly solid core returning, and a lot will hinge on QB play. The two young kids they played when Bell went down are physically talented, but weren't ready to be thrown into the fire like that.

As usual, the Southland will be full of wild cards in 2014 ... I think we have a good chance to be better in 2014, and if we stay healthy, I expect another strong run. My darkhorses are Northwestern State and Lamar ... McNeese will always find a way ... the wild cards are Sam, UCA and SFA. Nicholls will be much improved though not sure how much it will help in the standings ... ACU will be competitive right away, and UIW and HBU will likely take some time.

Nickels
January 10th, 2014, 01:21 AM
I agree on everything except "ACU will be competitive right away, and UIW and HBU will likely take some time". It's been said by so many people it's almost a cliche. I do think HBU will take a a couple of years but UIW beat ACU last year and improved a lot this year. I don't see either of them as autobid teams next season but I do think they should have similar projections/rankings going into next season.

lionsrking2
January 10th, 2014, 02:01 AM
I agree on everything except "ACU will be competitive right away, and UIW and HBU will likely take some time". It's been said by so many people it's almost a cliche. I do think HBU will take a a couple of years but UIW beat ACU last year and improved a lot this year. I don't see either of them as autobid teams next season but I do think they should have similar projections/rankings going into next season.

Didn't mean to imply I think ACU would challenge for the autobid right away (they're not eligible), but I do think they'll be competitive on a weekly basis ... UIW beat them in a close one the second time around, but ACU destroyed them in the first meeting. With nothing to play for, and having already beaten them once, not sure I put much stock in the rematch, other than UIW improved as the season went on. That said, having played UIW, and watching plenty of video on ACU and knowing their tradition, they're ahead of UIW at this stage, IMO.

Nickels
January 10th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Didn't mean to imply I think ACU would challenge for the autobid right away, but I do think they'll be competitive on a weekly basis ... UIW beat them in a close one the second time around, but ACU destroyed them in the first meeting. With nothing to play for, and having already beaten them once, not sure I put much stock in the rematch, other than UIW improved as the season went on.

I didn't mean to imply that you were implying :D I should have stated it differently but I was trying to say something along on the lines of competitive but not top of the conference competitive. I'm sorta stoned too so that's giving me a little trouble with words and such.

lionsrking2
January 10th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I'm sorta stoned too so that's giving me a little trouble with words and such.

Need say no more.xsmiley_wix

UCMoc
January 10th, 2014, 05:52 AM
All that in only 20 years? Wow that's impressive...xrolleyesx
The point was not to say that we are some sort of dynasty. It was to say that he needed to get his facts straight. His comment was that there had been no big wins since the 80's. That clearly is not the case.

Mattymc727
January 10th, 2014, 06:57 AM

UNH probably never looks good from your angle. We can never beat you guys!

UNH did however win 3 playoff games, two on the road, which it has never done before. From that team, UNH returns 8 on offense and 8 on defense. QB, RB, WR, and TE are all the same. Another interesting thing, is UNH has a really easy CAA schedule (and overall) next year. I would be surprised if UNH didnt win 8 or 9. A lot of UNH fans feel like next year should be special, because they will have about 18 seniors, all who will have significant playing time.

In the CAA next year, I like Nova, W&M, and UNH as the top three. I would watch out for Richmond too.

pike51
January 10th, 2014, 06:58 AM

And yet, just like they do EVERY YEAR, Chattanooga found a way to sit at home during the playoffs. Watching football on TV. Amazing!

Bisonator
January 10th, 2014, 08:02 AM
The point was not to say that we are some sort of dynasty. It was to say that he needed to get his facts straight. His comment was that there had been no big wins since the 80's. That clearly is not the case.

So beating a #10 and #15 are big wins??? Come on man...xlolx

Tribe4SF
January 10th, 2014, 08:18 AM
UNH probably never looks good from your angle. We can never beat you guys!

UNH did however win 3 playoff games, two on the road, which it has never done before. From that team, UNH returns 8 on offense and 8 on defense. QB, RB, WR, and TE are all the same. Another interesting thing, is UNH has a really easy CAA schedule (and overall) next year. I would be surprised if UNH didnt win 8 or 9. A lot of UNH fans feel like next year should be special, because they will have about 18 seniors, all who will have significant playing time.

In the CAA next year, I like Nova, W&M, and UNH as the top three. I would watch out for Richmond too.

Richmond finished with some very good play and looks to have the best offense in the league next year.

UCMoc
January 10th, 2014, 08:25 AM
So beating a #10 and #15 are big wins??? Come on man...xlolx

Yeah, for a program coming from where we came from they were. The year before Huesman came, we DID NOT WIN A GAME. Sorry we didn't go undefeated every year so we could sit around and sniff our own farts like you guys.

Bisonator
January 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Yeah, for a program coming from where we came from they were. The year before Huesman came, we DID NOT WIN A GAME. Sorry we didn't go undefeated every year so we could sit around and sniff our own farts like you guys.

Well heck if we are putting it in that perspective.....surely you have had some "moral victories" too. xlolx

Congrats on your BIG WINS! xthumbsupx

UCMoc
January 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Well heck if we are putting it in that perspective.....surely you have had some "moral victories" too. xlolx

Congrats on your BIG WINS! xthumbsupx

You are so absolutely correct. I came on here to brag about those wins, not at all to counter the statement that we hadn't beaten anybody since the 80's. You win. Enjoy trolling.

Bisonator
January 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
You are so absolutely correct. I came on here to brag about those wins, not at all to counter the statement that we hadn't beaten anybody since the 80's. You win. Enjoy trolling.

No it was you don't have any big wins in the last 20 years. But whatever, just poking at ya a little. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 10th, 2014, 10:53 AM

Maybe you should have watched UNH's regular season games against JMU, Villanova and Maine which were on Comcast as well as their three playoff wins on ESPN3. Or at least read more about all their games after the 1-3 start, only losing at W&M until meeting NDSU in the semi-finals. No question the Bison took my Wildcats to the woodshed, but beating the #4 and #5 seeds on their fields has to be acknowledged as an excellent achievement even if you didn't watch the games. xtwocentsx

Red & Black
January 10th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Tough one. NDSU, EWU, UNI, Furman, Nova, UNH should all be good teams.