PDA

View Full Version : NDSU's AD Taylor says there could be a single Division I grouping for football!

MplsBison
January 6th, 2014, 03:29 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/422817/

There could be a lot of discussion over this issue in this month’s conference in San Diego involving all the college’s athletic directors and presidents.
“Right now, I think they are going to try to co-exist all of us together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, we would have to seriously take another look at where we would have to be. But we will not be at the lowest level.”

I've talked at length on AGS about how such a system could work. You'd have an NCAA administered playoff bracket that all schools in the single Division I football division would have the chance to be invited to, but then they'd also be free to opt out in order to participate in independent post-season opportunities (bowl games, independent post-season tournaments, etc.).

I like the idea! If it happened, it would mean that NDSU could potentially start offering 85 scholarships and be invited to bowl games without having to leave the MVFC.

Hammerhead
January 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM
What if the MVFC puts a limit on scholarships?

Hammersmith
January 6th, 2014, 03:52 PM

I've talked at length on AGS about how such a system could work. You'd have an NCAA administered playoff bracket that all schools in the single Division I football division would have the chance to be invited to, but then they'd also be free to opt out in order to participate in independent post-season opportunities (bowl games, independent post-season tournaments, etc.).

I like the idea! If it happened, it would mean that NDSU could potentially start offering 85 scholarships and be invited to bowl games without having to leave the MVFC.

Umm, you're misinterpreting his comment to a pretty significant degree. He's not talking about all DI football schools playing in the same group. He's saying that it doesn't look like the Big5 conferences are going to break away to form their own division. In other words, basic status quo. You should have included the part of the article two paragraphs before:

There has been talk the last few years that the powerful football programs may break away from the rest of Division I and create a super division from conferences like the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12 plus independent Notre Dame. The big schools want more freedom to be able to run their programs the way they want without the less powerful schools standing in their way.

BisonBacker
January 6th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Good Lord i've been duped into clicking on and showing a link posted by MPLS as he's on my ignore list due to some of what he's posted in the past. For those who want to know what Taylor really said here is the direct quotes from part of the article. The full article link is at the end of this post.

And right now, Taylor doesn’t see NDSU making another move up anytime soon – even though many people continually ask him when the football program is going leave FCS and play with the big boys at the FBS level. The way NDSU dominated this year’s playoffs, outscoring its four opponents 173-42, you can bet Taylor will be asked about it even more.
What will Taylor’s answer be this time?
“Let’s see what the FBS does first,” Taylor said.
There has been talk the last few years that the powerful football programs may break away from the rest of Division I and create a super division from conferences like the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12 plus independent Notre Dame. The big schools want more freedom to be able to run their programs the way they want without the less powerful schools standing in their way.
One of the main issues lately has been disagreement among the big boys over a $2,000 stipend plan. It would be added to an athletic scholarship to help cover the full cost of attendance. The bigger schools – with athletic departments ranging from $65 million to $97 million – that could offer a stipend would enjoy a considerable advantage in recruiting over the schools that could not.
There could be a lot of discussion over this issue in this month’s conference in San Diego involving all the college’s athletic directors and presidents.
“Right now, I think they are going to try to co-exist all of us together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, we would have to seriously take another look at where we would have to be. But we will not be at the lowest level.”
If – and it sounds like a big if right now – the big boys would create their own division, the most affected schools would be the ones in lower-tier conferences like the Mountain West, American Athletic, Conference USA, Sun Belt and Mid America. That’s where athletic budgets range from $19 to $54 million.
If the big boys would get their way and leave, some think some of those aforementioned lower-tier schools could drop to the FCS level – joining the powers of the current FCS level like NDSU. Wouldn’t that be ironic, Craig Bohl’s Wyoming team of the Mountain West competing at the same FCS level where he made NDSU a dynasty.

Full Article (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/422817/publisher_ID/1/)

Lesson to be learned here is trust my instinct and ignore anything posted by MPLS.

Twentysix
January 6th, 2014, 04:00 PM
When I read that I didn't get what MPLS was saying either. But I read it before he made this post.

centennial
January 6th, 2014, 05:21 PM

Poor reading comprehension. All they are saying is the Big 5 is NOT going anywhere in the foreseeable future. In the off chance they do, we will try participate in the FBS level(non BCS). In the small chance the DOJ, NCAA, Dept of Education and hundreds of lawsuits allows this to happen the upper FCS will probably merge with FBS. All this talk about the Big 5 going are bunk, they are happy with the status quo and are going to milk it. To most of them another 5 million a year is not worth the trouble.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Poor reading comprehension. All they are saying is the Big 5 is NOT going anywhere in the foreseeable future. In the off chance they do, we will try participate in the FBS level(non BCS). In the small chance the DOJ, NCAA, Dept of Education and hundreds of lawsuits allows this to happen the upper FCS will probably merge with FBS. All this talk about the Big 5 going are bunk, they are happy with the status quo and are going to milk it. To most of them another 5 million a year is not worth the trouble.

But they will use things like separation talk to get concession on as much of that 5 million as they can.:D

MplsBison
January 7th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Umm, you're misinterpreting his comment to a pretty significant degree. He's not talking about all DI football schools playing in the same group. He's saying that it doesn't look like the Big5 conferences are going to break away to form their own division. In other words, basic status quo. You should have included the part of the article two paragraphs before:

You would have a point if this had been Taylor's quote:

"Right now, I think they are going to try to co-exist all of them together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, they would have to seriously take another look at where they would have to be. But they will not be at the lowest level."

But it wasn't. THIS was Taylor's quote:

"Right now, I think they are going to try to co-exist all of us together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, we would have to seriously take another look at where we would have to be. But we will not be at the lowest level."

Explain.

swaghook
January 7th, 2014, 07:04 PM
"Right now(the present time), I think they(NCAA) are going to try to co-exist all of us(FCS & FBS) together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, we would have to seriously take another look at where we would have to be. But we will not be at the lowest level."

Nothing is changing as long as the BCS conferences stay within the D-I FBS umbrella if they break away or the NCAA tries to further subdivide the DI division then NDSU will take necessary steps to not be left in the lowest tier of any proposed revamp of DI. NDSU is currently content at the FCS level of the current DI format for football.

AppMan
January 7th, 2014, 11:21 PM
They already are defining their super division. The playoff is just the first step of separating the P5 schools from the Gof5 schools. Initially they will keep the Gof5 schools out via the SOS provision. Once someone gets left out of the 4 team deal it will expand to 8. I can envision the day of 4 18 team mega conferences (goodbye Big 12) with two divisions of 9 teams each. The conference championship games will serve as the first round. It won't be long before the Gof5 conferences start their own playoff.

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2014, 11:26 PM
You would have a point if this had been Taylor's quote:

"Right now, I think they are going to try to co-exist all of them together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, they would have to seriously take another look at where they would have to be. But they will not be at the lowest level."

But it wasn't. THIS was Taylor's quote:

"Right now, I think they are going to try to co-exist all of us together in one Division I,” Taylor said. “If that were to change, we would have to seriously take another look at where we would have to be. But we will not be at the lowest level."

Explain.

xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
January 8th, 2014, 11:32 AM
They already are defining their super division. The playoff is just the first step of separating the P5 schools from the Gof5 schools. Initially they will keep the Gof5 schools out via the SOS provision. Once someone gets left out of the 4 team deal it will expand to 8. I can envision the day of 4 18 team mega conferences (goodbye Big 12) with two divisions of 9 teams each. The conference championship games will serve as the first round. It won't be long before the Gof5 conferences start their own playoff.

Completely think this is the direction it's going as well. Dback and I were talking about this very thing back in 2008/09 on CS I think it was. Everything so far is gonna seem like tremors when that day rolls around because it's gonna have decisions being made at every D1 program and the new direction for all outside of those super conferences.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Nothing is changing as long as the BCS conferences stay within the D-I FBS umbrella if they break away or the NCAA tries to further subdivide the DI division then NDSU will take necessary steps to not be left in the lowest tier of any proposed revamp of DI. NDSU is currently content at the FCS level of the current DI format for football.

You would have a point if he had said "...co-exist all of us together in Division I”.

But he specifically said "...co-exist all of us together in one Division I”.

danefan
January 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM
You would have a point if he had said "...co-exist all of us together in Division I”.

But he specifically said "...co-exist all of us together in one Division I”.

Except for the fact that if the Big 5 do break off they won't be Division I anymore. They won't even be NCAA.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Can't disagree with you more.

The CFP is nothing more than the next revision of the major college football post-season. First, you just had bowl games as independent entities, some of which developed relationships and contracted ties to conferences. Next, you had the Bowl Coalition which was quickly updated to the Bowl Alliance.

Next comes the key point: the BCS was formed when the Rose Bowl (bringing with it the champions from the Big Ten and Pac Ten) was added to the mix. But that wasn't all. It also added the rest of the "mid-major" conferences in DI-A, after testimony by BYU's head coach in front of congress.

The next revision added a fifth bowl game, simply called the national championship game and with additional congressional pressure the BCS was cracked open a bit more by the mid-majors - now they would be guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl if they finished ranked in the top 12 or top 16 if they were higher ranked than a BCS champion (which has happened every year since the rule was made except this season, when Fresno St and Northern Illinois both pooped the bed late).

Now, you have the CFP. The mid-majors made another crack in the armor. The highest ranked of their champions is guaranteed a top 12 ranking and therefore access to one of the six bowls in the CFP. This means you'll see a mid-major champion in one of the six bowl games every year guarenteed - not just if they're ranked high enough.

Consider that history for a second.

So you're going to tell me that the mid-majors are going to let all of that progress go right down the tubes, for nothing?? Nope. No, sir - ain't gonna happen.

There are still too many public flagship or otherwise important institutions playing football in the mid-major conferences who can call upon congress to act if they are seen to be getting completely cut out of the deal.

That's why you're never, ever going to see four or five conferences break away into their own sub-division for football, let alone their own division for all sports, let alone completely leaving the NCAA.

End of story.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Except for the fact that if the Big 5 do break off they won't be Division I anymore. They won't even be NCAA.

No, even if that were a possibility - the quote wouldn't make sense.

But nevertheless, it is an impossibility. Read post 15, I've explained it correctly.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2014, 12:32 PM
xcoffeex

That's ok, you sit back, relax, drink your coffee and read the comic strips in the paper. I imagine that's what retirees are good at.

Leave this stuff to the thinking men.

Bisonator
January 8th, 2014, 12:41 PM
That's why you're never, ever going to see four or five conferences break away into their own sub-division for football, let alone their own division for all sports, let alone completely leaving the NCAA.

End of story.

Says you. xlolx

Herder
January 8th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Wow MPLS, you are a complete idiot! All Taylor is saying is that the 10 FBS conferences are all staying together in FBS at 85 scholarships. Nothing more, nothing less. He is saying that there will be no split of the 127 FBS schools, which we all already knew.

Bisonoline
January 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
That's ok, you sit back, relax, drink your coffee and read the comic strips in the paper. I imagine that's what retirees are good at.

Leave this stuff to the thinking men.

When you start thinking instead of just running your mouth let me know.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Says you. xlolx

Are you prepared to wait at least 12 years to prove me wrong?

That's the length of this initial CFP media contract and agreement between the conferences. Everyone is happy and set for the next 12 seasons. No one moves in or out of the division with the except of a few onesie, twosie additions at the bottom by the Sun Belt. And that might only be if a 10 or 12 team minimum membership requirement is retained for hosting a conference championship game.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Wow MPLS, you are a complete idiot! All Taylor is saying is that the 10 FBS conferences are all staying together in FBS at 85 scholarships. Nothing more, nothing less. He is saying that there will be no split of the 127 FBS schools, which we all already knew.

Then explain his usage of the words "us" and "we" in the quotes.

Go ahead, I'm all ears.

buffalobill
January 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM

Go ahead, I'm all ears.

I believe you are all ears because it appears you have no vision!

Herder
January 12th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Go ahead, I'm all ears.

You are simply wrong, and trying to read something into this article that does not exist.

Bisonoline
January 12th, 2014, 04:03 PM
You are simply wrong, and trying to read something into this article that does not exist.

Taylor brought forth some ideas that were strictly theoretical. Mpls turns those ideas into absolutes just to argue.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Then by implication you're accusing Gene Taylor, a division I athletics director - your school's athletics director, of publicly misspelling about things that he should be expert in and which directly affect his school. In other words, you're accusing him if being incompetent at one of the main functions of his job.

Care to elaborate on why you're doing this?

Bisonoline
January 13th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Then by implication you're accusing Gene Taylor, a division I athletics director - your school's athletics director, of publicly misspelling about things that he should be expert in and which directly affect his school. In other words, you're accusing him if being incompetent at one of the main functions of his job.

Care to elaborate on why you're doing this?

Your schools AD? Hmmmm Weve known for sometime you arent really a fan of the Bison. We are just the conduit for you to find something miniscule to argue about. Now you are putting words in peoples mouths to troll them? Again an extremely poor showing on your part.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2014, 12:27 PM
You've assumed incorrectly, once again BOL.

Please stay on topic.

But you're free to negative rep every post I make and leave vulgar comments in doing so. Is that the way you speak in front of your grandchildren?

Bisonoline
January 13th, 2014, 12:46 PM
You've assumed incorrectly, once again BOL.

Please stay on topic.

But you're free to negative rep every post I make and leave vulgar comments in doing so. Is that the way you speak in front of your grandchildren?

Dont have any grandchildren. But since you continually act like a child I will treat you as such. So yes I would swear at them if they acted as you do. Plus I would paddle their azzes also. Unfortunately you would never meet in person so I dont have that option.

Vulgar comments? Youve never been called an azzhole before?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Dont have any grandchildren. But since you continually act like a child I will treat as such. So yes I would swear at them if they acted as you do. Plus I would paddle their azzes also. Unfortunately you would never meet in person so I dont have that option.

That's because you go to every Bison game and he goes to none.

BisonBacker
January 13th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I've had him on ignore for a long time. Unfortunately when he's quoted his posts then show up. Sad thing is he could be a decent poster but he posts so much crap for no other purpose but to engage in a never ending debate that goes nowhere and he knows it. He lives to argue.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I've had him on ignore for a long time. Unfortunately when he's quoted his posts then show up. Sad thing is he could be a decent poster but he posts so much crap for no other purpose but to engage in a never ending debate that goes nowhere and he knows it. He lives to argue.

I wouldn't even care so much if he just wanted to argue if he had a salient point throughout the whole discussion. He has this weird dogmatic adherence to a specific sliver of a point and just insults anyone who disagrees or shows perspective.

He is the textbook definition of a troll.

caribbeanhen
January 13th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't even care so much if he just wanted to argue if he had a salient point throughout the whole discussion. He has this weird dogmatic adherence to a specific sliver of a point and just insults anyone who disagrees or shows perspective.

Not sure why MPLS is being treated like a leper around here. Maybe he's earned it but he really doesn't seem like such a bad guy

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Not sure why MPLS is being treated like a leper around here. Maybe he's earned it but he really doesn't seem like such a bad guy

Because all he wants to be is a contrarian. That doesn't drive discourse or even move the discussion forward. In fact, it often just becomes about him and his absolutely baseless feeling of superiority.

caribbeanhen
January 13th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Because all he wants to be is a contrarian. That doesn't drive discourse or even move the discussion forward. In fact, it often just becomes about him and his absolutely baseless feeling of superiority.

He sounds like a typical Bizun fan lol

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2014, 04:34 PM
He sounds like a typical Bizun fan lol

I don't even know why I answered.

at least you're a less consistent troll

caribbeanhen
January 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I don't even know why I answered.

at least you're a less consistent troll

yea, you kind of took the bait on that one, trolls are good, tolls not so much..... trolls give you guys something to talk about, do you really want to sit around for the next 8 months and pat each other on the back?

MplsBison
January 13th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Dont have any grandchildren. But since you continually act like a child I will treat you as such. So yes I would swear at them if they acted as you do. Plus I would paddle their azzes also. Unfortunately you would never meet in person so I dont have that option.

I don't act like a child at all. However, it does speak volumes about yourself that you willingingly admit to verbal and physical abuse of a grandchild. I'm pleased to learn you have none.

That I have or have not been called a word has nothing to do with it being vulgar. Please look in a dictionary sometime.

And you're absolutely correct that I have zero desire to meet someone who takes such pleasure in being an anti-intellectual lout, as you do.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2014, 05:07 PM
That's because you go to every Bison game and he goes to none.

Incorrect assumption.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2014, 05:10 PM

Salient point just means a point that stands out more than other points. Are you saying you only ever respond to the most important points in a given discussion? Hardly.

If someone has a good counter point, I recognize it. But far more often, a typical AGS poster is too lazy to attempt such a thing. It's much easier to attack the poster than attack his points. Such as you have done here.

Bisonoline
January 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I don't act like a child at all. However, it does speak volumes about yourself that you willingingly admit to verbal and physical abuse of a grandchild. I'm pleased to learn you have none.

That I have or have not been called a word has nothing to do with it being vulgar. Please look in a dictionary sometime.

And you're absolutely correct that I have zero desire to meet someone who takes such pleasure in being an anti-intellectual lout, as you do.

The reason you wont meet anyone in person is you are a coward. I actually like people with intellect. When you achieve some intellectual prowess as opposed to being a troll I will recognize you for it. Until then you gotta lot of work to do.

caribbeanhen
January 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM
The reason you wont meet anyone in person is you are a coward. I actually like people with intellect. When you achieve some intellectual prowess as opposed to being a troll I will recognize you for it. Until then you gotta lot of work to do.

and just who is the troll here? what a snob

Bisonoline
January 13th, 2014, 09:32 PM
and just who is the troll here? what a snob

Youve been doing some trolling yourself. I find it funny when people who have the same traits stick up for other trolls. You can move along now.

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2014, 05:26 AM
I find it funny when people who have the same traits stick up for other trolls. You can move along now.

I've never defended you.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2014, 06:27 AM
I've never defended you.....

Hey hen.....Bisonoline is not a troll. You sure troll a lot of 'Bison' threads....

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Hey hen.....Bisonoline is not a troll. You sure troll a lot of 'Bison' threads....

Do you guys want to make AGS a bison site? Now Bison fans own threads on AGS.... I see

NoDak 4 Ever
January 14th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Do you guys want to make AGS a bison site? Now Bison fans own threads on AGS.... I see

So, this site has a lot of Bison fans, you then feel it is your duty to bitch about all the Bison fans and piss all over their threads?

Don't hate the player....

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
So, this site has a lot of Bison fans, you then feel it is your duty to bitch about all the Bison fans and piss all over their threads?

Don't hate the player....

wrong, I only bitch at a few.... study up. I've been nice to the Bison and you know that.