PDA

View Full Version : The Northern Iowa Situation

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2014, 07:57 AM
UNI gave NDSU it's best game of the season and also beat Iowa State. Injuries took it's toll on the Panthers season and they lost too many games to make the playoffs (according to the selection committee). From watching the playoffs and other games this season, UNI, IMO is a top 5 team and would have make a good run in the playoffs.

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM
UNI gave NDSU it's best game of the season and also beat Iowa State. Injuries took it's toll on the Panthers season and they lost too many games to make the playoffs (according to the selection committee). From watching the playoffs and other games this season, UNI, IMO is a top 5 team and would have make a good run in the playoffs.

No doubt, In the Clenz game I had UNI in the finals....

kalm
January 5th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Similar deal happened to us in 2011 when we lost to the UW on a last second interception in their end zone, and lost to semi finalist Griz in Missoula 17-10. Absolutely decimated with injuries that year...

MR. CHICKEN
January 5th, 2014, 08:27 AM
18738…..IT WAS MENTIONED…IN ONE O' PLAYOFF GAMES…..TOWSON HAD 16 PLAYERS OUT …..AN' TWO STARS….WERE CANNED FO' DUH BIGGIE….(NOT MEANT….TA SMEAR BIZON ACHIEVEMENT)……….BRAWK!

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2014, 08:36 AM
18738…..IT WAS MENTIONED…IN ONE O' PLAYOFF GAMES…..TOWSON HAD 16 PLAYERS OUT …..AN' TWO STARS….WERE CANNED FO' DUH BIGGIE….(NOT MEANT….TA SMEAR BIZON ACHIEVEMENT)……….BRAWK!

Would be interested to see if Towson was missing 16 players for the Championship Game.

UNH Fanboi
January 5th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I was waiting for a thread like this to surface. Does this mean that Indiana St. was a top 5 team last year because they were the only team to beat NDSU last year? They even had a better record that UNI. How does a top 5 team lose 5 games, 4 of them to non-top 5 teams? Every team has injuries.

IBleedYellow
January 5th, 2014, 09:29 AM
There is a reason you have to play the games...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I was waiting for a thread like this to surface. Does this mean that Indiana St. was a top 5 team last year because they were the only team to beat NDSU last year? They even had a better record that UNI. How does a top 5 team lose 5 games, 4 of them to non-top 5 teams? Every team has injuries.

Indiana St didn't have a FBS win and beat the Bison on 2 INT returns. UNI lost 3 OT right after the NDSU game, when some of their best players went down. Johnson for UNI is on the list behind West, of elite RB's in FCS. Johnson had 142 yards against the Bison.

semobison
January 5th, 2014, 09:39 AM

How does a top 5 team lose 5 games? Injuries and playing in the MVFC. In 2010 NDSU was 4-4 in conference play and lost a heartbreaker to eventual champ EWU in the quarters. New Hampshire should understand this. The CAA is not that much different. A few injuries can be the difference between being a mid pack team and the playoffs!

MR. CHICKEN
January 5th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Would be interested to see if Towson was missing 16 players for the Championship Game.

WOOD BE BETTERAH TA ASK UH TAGGER…..HOWEREVERAH…AH BELIEVE….COUPLE STARTIN' WIDE-OUTS…HAVE BEEN OUT FO' YEAR……BRAWK!

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 09:45 AM
How does a top 5 team lose 5 games? Injuries and playing in the MVFC. In 2010 NDSU was 4-4 in conference play and lost a heartbreaker to eventual champ EWU in the quarters. New Hampshire should understand this. The CAA is not that much different. A few injuries can be the difference between being a mid pack team and the playoffs!
Nah....any team can lose 2 of their top 3 WR, have their starting RB (one of the best in the FCS) go down with a hip flexor, have their starting QB suffer 2 concussions (reportedly...causing a guy to play QB who spent the season as a WR/RB/KR), lose a starting TE, lose 2 starting OL, lose a 3 year starter on the DL, lose 2 top LBs, lose two starting DB's, have a LINEBACKER PLAY RUNNING BACK DUE TO INJURIES to the top 3 RB's that cause missed games/very limited action availability and be just freaking fine.

Yeah, UNI clearly sucks **** for not being able to overcome that. Every other FCS team could overcome that with no problem.

Look injuries happen and UNI after week 6 wasn't the same as before week 5 because of them. However, UNI in week 13 was better than at least 17 of the 24 playoff teams....and got ****ed out of the playoffs.

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Nah....any team can lose 2 of their top 3 WR, have their starting RB (one of the best in the FCS) go down with a hip flexor, have their starting QB suffer 2 concussions (reportedly...causing a guy to play QB who spent the season as a WR/RB/KR), lose a starting TE, lose 2 starting OL, lose a 3 year starter on the DL, lose 2 top LBs, lose two starting DB's, have a LINEBACKER PLAY RUNNING BACK DUE TO INJURIES to the top 3 RB's that cause missed games/very limited action availability and be just freaking fine.

Yeah, UNI clearly sucks **** for not being able to overcome that. Every other FCS team could overcome that with no problem.

Look injuries happen and UNI after week 6 wasn't the same as before week 5 because of them. However, UNI in week 13 was better than at least 17 of the 24 playoff teams....and got ****ed out of the playoffs.

I agree that UNI was better than at least 17 of the 24 playoff teams.....but to say they got screwed out of the playoffs I don't. If they would have won one more game then they would have earned their way in most likely. Now Youngstown had the wins, but fell apart at the end. I would argue they have a better case then UNI for being upset. Injuries happen every year, and UNI had some crap luck this year. But you can't give a free pass because of it, and use hypothetical analysis to say ..."well if they were healthy" and let them in because of it. Every team has injuries, UNI just had more this year unfortunately. In my opinion, a fully healthy UNI team is the #2 team in the FCS. No disrespect meant toward Towson, but that is my opinion. That's why teams need depth, and try to keep starters healthy. That's just the way it is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I agree that UNI was better than at least 17 of the 24 playoff teams.....but to say they got screwed out of the playoffs I don't. If they would have won one more game then they would have earned their way in most likely. Now Youngstown had the wins, but fell apart at the end. I would argue they have a better case then UNI for being upset. Injuries happen every year, and UNI had some crap luck this year. But you can't give a free pass because of it, and use hypothetical analysis to say ..."well if they were healthy" and let them in because of it. Every team has injuries, UNI just had more this year unfortunately. In my opinion, a fully healthy UNI team is the #2 team in the FCS. No disrespect meant toward Towson, but that is my opinion. That's why teams need depth, and try to keep starters healthy. That's just the way it is.

Win one more game?

UNI had more D1 wins that SHSU...7 to 5 or 6 depending how you want to look at their schedule
UNI CRUSHED a seeded McNeese State team - pulled the starters on them....that MSU team that CRUSHED and FBS
UNI crushed an FBS team - granted they weren't a great FBS team
UNI is the only FCS team to com within 15 points of NDSU.

More wins? YSU had 8 D1 wins....

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Win one more game?

UNI had more D1 wins that SHSU...7 to 5 or 6 depending how you want to look at their schedule
UNI CRUSHED a seeded McNeese State team - pulled the starters on them....that MSU team that CRUSHED and FBS
UNI crushed an FBS team - granted they weren't a great FBS team
UNI is the only FCS team to com within 15 points of NDSU.

More wins? YSU had 8 D1 wins....

I am not in disagreement with you. I would have liked to see UNI in. From the committee standpoint, your record made you a bubble team, and you got left out. If you had one more win, I believe you are in for sure. Finishing below YSU in the conference and them falling apart probably hurt the strength of the MVFC in the eyes of the committee. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.....LEAVE NO DOUBT.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I am not in disagreement with you. I would have liked to see UNI in. From the committee standpoint, your record made you a bubble team, and you got left out. If you had one more win, I believe you are in for sure. Finishing below YSU in the conference and them falling apart probably hurt the strength of the MVFC in the eyes of the committee. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.....LEAVE NO DOUBT.

SHSU left a lot more than than either UNI or YSU

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
SHSU left a lot more than than either UNI or YSU

I can't say I disagree with you Clenz. Sucks, but you should have a good team for 2014. How many returning starters?

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Both SHSU and UNI had good wins, but also some bad losses. Their win vs. EWU, the #3 seed helped propel them into the playoffs.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I can't say I disagree with you Clenz. Sucks, but you should have a good team for 2014. How many returning starters?

On offense we return every passing and rushing yard...and get back our top wr, who missed the season with an acl and top te whoop dislocated his elbow and tore his acl. I'm pretty sure the only relieving numbers that we lose will be a guy who broke his foot in the 3rd game of the season.

On defense we lose both DE, Chris Jepsen and Colin Albrecht, but return DT Xavier Williams and apparently Mac OBrien was granted a medical for this season so he will be back. We lose Gacke at LB, who played on a torn ACL and still had a great season. We return every db, and added a4 star transfer from Arkansas apparently...

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Take NDSU out of the MVFC and 4 schools have a great chance for 8 wins or better.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Both SHSU and UNI had good wins, but also some bad losses. Their win vs. EWU, the #3 seed helped propel them into the playoffs.

UNI had an fbs win and a win over a seeded mcneese (who shsu lost too:

Bisonator
January 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM
UNI was a championship contender before injuries and OT losses decimated their season. Bottom line is they lost 3 games in OT. Had they put just one of those games in the win column they would have no reason to gripe about the selection committee. They left it up to the committee and it cost them. Make one more play and leave no doubt. I still think they should have been selected but there is no sense even discussing it anymore. I think they will be a top 5 team next season if they stay healthy.

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 11:30 AM
UNI had an fbs win and a win over a seeded mcneese (who shsu lost too:

All I can say is leave no doubt next year. I think UNI will be a ranked team for the playoffs next year for sure.

Lehigh'98
January 5th, 2014, 11:31 AM
What kind of recognition or trophy is UNI looking for here? Yayy for them, they were the 2nd best non injured team through 5 games. Ticker tape parade!!!!!!

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 11:33 AM
What kind of recognition or trophy is UNI looking for here? Yayy for them, they were the 2nd best non injured team through 5 games. Ticker tape parade!!!!!!

If we are adding the non-injured part in there...I'd argue the best

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 11:39 AM

It is starting to sound a little like sour grapes.... Nobody is arguing that UNI was a good team when they were healthy.

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM
The better question for you Clenz is if UNI would have made the playoffs, what kind of run they would have made. They still had many injuries at that point. May not have been good enough to make it to the semifinal.

IBleedYellow
Clenz, what do you want people to say? You should be the National Champions?

Here, have the title. You're now the 2014 Champs! Way to go! Feels great, since you earned it, right?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
I would easily predict UNI being in the National Championship game next year, along with EWU. UNH will be good also. Things can change on the way though.

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I would easily predict UNI being in the National Championship game next year, along with EWU. UNH will be good also. Things can change on the way though.

That is my pick at this moment. I wouldn't be surprised if we make noise next year though either. Depending on brackets, anything can happen. NDSU will not be a push over

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 11:51 AM
The better question for you Clenz is if UNI would have made the playoffs, what kind of run they would have made. They still had many injuries at that point. May not have been good enough to make it to the semifinal.

Quarters at the very least. Semis likely

Hammerhead
January 5th, 2014, 11:54 AM
The UNI game was similar to Indiana State the previous year where the Bison gave up 2 pick-sixes only the Bison managed to beat UNI after only allowing 3 points on 2 turnovers inside the Bison 30 yard line. I have no doubt that UNI was a very good team, but this year it was NDSU head and shoulders above the rest of the FCS.

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 11:54 AM

Well, barring injuries :p .....You should at least make it to that point next year!

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 11:55 AM
The UNI game was similar to Indiana State the previous year where the Bison gave up 2 pick-sixes only the Bison managed to beat UNI after only allowing 3 points on 2 turnovers inside the Bison 30 yard line. I have no doubt that UNI was a very good team, but this year it was NDSU head and shoulders above the rest of the FCS.

Agreed.

Tribe4SF
January 5th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Things always change. No one had Maine or UNH making the playoffs from the CAA this year. All the talk was Towson, Nova, JMU, Delaware and Richmond. Next year looks like Richmond, Nova and W&M. Some of that will be wrong for sure.

MplsBison
January 5th, 2014, 12:33 PM
So now NDSU's HC and DC are both going to be UNI guys and Waterloo natives.

Thanks Panthers! Now I'd like to see more central Iowa high school players headed up to Fargo. Not as many as Minnesota and Wisconsin, of course - since we all know that MN and WI high school players are superior to IA players - but maybe 3-4 kids per yer, something like what we get from Omaha and SD.

MR. CHICKEN
January 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Things always change. No one had Maine or UNH making the playoffs from the CAA this year. All the talk was Towson, Nova, JMU, Delaware and Richmond. Next year looks like Richmond, Nova and W&M. Some of that will be wrong for sure.

RICHMOND…RIGHTED DUH SHIP….END O' SEASON…..COOD EASILY HAVE BEATEN SOME PLAYOFFERUHS…..DOODLE-DOO!

Sycamore62
January 5th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Finish a game with a receiver playing QB and 2 defensive players playing offense and then complain

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Finish a game with a receiver playing QB and 2 defensive players playing offense and then complain

We did that...

Brion Carnes at QB...listed as a qb but spent more time at tb, wr, and kr than qb prior to the last 4 weeks

Zach Cutkomp - lb that went to rb and average nearly 5ypc

Deondre Hall - db that also played wr at end of season

Yotes
January 5th, 2014, 12:58 PM
UNI was definitely better than half the playoff field, but I don't blame the committee for leaving them out with their 5 losses. NDSU's playoff run pretty much proved the notion that the MVFC is far and away the toughest conference out there, half of the conference was better than most of the playoff field. NDSU won by an average margin of 22 points in conference play, and won by an average margin of just over 30 in the playoffs. If that doesn't show the strength of the conference then I give up. The MVFC needs more representation in the playoffs, two teams in the field this year was a ****ing joke.

MplsBison
January 5th, 2014, 01:02 PM
UNI was definitely better than half the playoff field, but I don't blame the committee for leaving them out with their 5 losses. NDSU's playoff run pretty much proved the notion that the MVFC is far and away the toughest conference out there, half of the conference was better than most of the playoff field. NDSU won by an average margin of 22 points in conference play, and won by an average margin of just over 30 in the playoffs. If that doesn't show the strength of the conference then I give up. The MVFC needs more representation in the playoffs, two teams in the field this year was a ****ing joke.

Split the conference. Summit and MVC. We'll add EIU and UND. Scheduling alliance to get eight games per year.

Forces more playoff teams that way.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Split the conference. Summit and MVC. We'll add EIU and UND. Scheduling alliance to get eight games per year.

Forces more playoff teams that way.
EIU was in the MVFC...well Gateway....They left to join the OVC because they couldn't compete in the Gateway. They "took their ball and went home". They now have a strong grip on the OVC and don't want to move to a place they'd be 4th or 5th place with their best team in history this past year.

MplsBison
January 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM
EIU was in the MVFC...well Gateway....They left to join the OVC because they couldn't compete in the Gateway. They "took their ball and went home". They now have a strong grip on the OVC and don't want to move to a place they'd be 4th or 5th place with their best team in history this past year.

They would've lost a close game to NDSU and beaten the rest this year. Better fit for them in all sports and culturally. Rivalry with WIU. Win on all sides.

MplsBison
January 5th, 2014, 01:08 PM
UNI fans, see post 35.

NDSU HC and DC are Waterloo boys and former Panthers. How about it??

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 01:25 PM

I did the research on it..

On offense UNI returns:
Returns 100% of passing yards - Kollmorgen 156-248 (63%) 1,819 yards 202 yards per game (9 games) 14 TD 5 INT...Carnes 41-80 438 yards 2 TD 4 INT - really more of a RB/WR...Black 1-1 19 yards

Returns 100% of rushing yards (2,175) and TDs (16)...

Returns 2,198 of 2,276 yards receiving (97%) and 192 of 198 receptions (97%) and adds in Brett LeMaster who was the #1 WR in camp before tearing ACL and #1 TE Sam Rohr - who dislocated his elbow and tore his ACL last season.

The OL is tougher to tell but return 4 OL - and had an 8-9 man rotation....only played 2 senior OL all season

212 of 218 non-kicking points scored.

On defense
Return 10-11 interceptions

Roughly 81% of our tackles...We lose Jordan Gacke, Sam Tim, Chris Jepsen, and Colin Albrecht. Gain our #1 DT back from injury, will get Jake Farley back from his injury.

Our defensive backfield was all freshman and sophomores last season and will return. Also adding a transfer from Arkansas, Ray Buchanan Jr (yes, his dad is the NFL Ray Buchanan). He will be a rSo. He was a 3-4* recruit out of hs (depending where you look) with offers from Arkansas, Cinci, Illinois, Loisville, Maryland, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Miss State, Purdue, and Southern Miss out of HS. Not sure if he'll pan out but UNI is just stupid loaded in the defensive backfield now. I'd bet Deondre Hall moves to a LB spot.

Obviously a lot can happen but UNI is LOADED next year with a team full of juniors

- - - Updated - - -

UNI fans, see post 35.

NDSU HC and DC are Waterloo boys and former Panthers. How about it??
Yep....what's your point?

Mr. C
January 5th, 2014, 01:27 PM
If you want to play the Northern Iowa cry me a river game, Villanova beat national runner-up Towson, knocked Delaware (the only other team to beat Towson in the regular season) out of the playoffs in the final weekend, beat one of the top defensive teams in the country William & Mary (the only team I saw in person this season that was close to NDSU on the defensive side of the ball), came within a couple of points of beating CAA champion Maine, lost on a two-point conversion in the final seconds to national semifinalist New Hampshire and was a play or two away from beating a very good Fordham team and BCS Boston College. And, yes, the Wildcats were decimated by injuries from early in the season. Using the UNI logic, Villanova could have made a run in the playoffs, too. But did the Wildcats deserve to be a playoff team at 6-5, even with one of the most talented teams in the country? You have to win some games.

I remember seeing Marshall beat Appalachian State in 1996, 24-10. It was the closest game that Marshall had all year (despite all of the talk around here in the past 24 hours, still the best FCS team that I have seen in my 21 years of covering the subdivision) and was a much more competitive game than that year's national championship game for Marshall over a previously undefeated Montana squad. But Appalachian State didn't make the playoffs with a 7-4 record. There are certain standards that are understood by teams if you are going to make the playoffs and Northern Iowa didn't win enough games this season and stubbed its toes too many times in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Sycamore62
January 5th, 2014, 01:51 PM

The main reason was because they wanted in for the other sports and the ovc wouldn't let them in without football too, then later let other schools in without football. They won the Gateway their last year in it. No way they would ever come back. They have fooled the locals with their level of play (since 1996 except for this year). They went to OT with SIU so I'd say they make the playoffs with 3 losses if they were in it this year.

Cocky
January 5th, 2014, 02:14 PM
The OVC did quite well against theMVC this year. EIU would have been 2nd in the MVC.

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Nova, William & Mary better than a dozen or so playoff teams, Richmond better than a half dozen, even Delaware and JMU could have made some noise on opening playoff week...... Welcome to the CAA Clenz!

frozennorth
January 5th, 2014, 02:26 PM
it's the same way a 7-4 caa team can make the semis

DJKyR0
January 5th, 2014, 02:58 PM
If NDSU doesn't give up two fumbles at the start of the respective halves that UNI game isn't a 1-point W. Then the whole "best team to play NDSU" doesn't stick for the panthers and this conversation loses a lot of traction. Doesn't change how it went and how football goes.

Serious question, do you guys not have quality trainers for your players to get injured so often?

Sent from my microwave.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
If NDSU doesn't give up two fumbles at the start of the respective halves that UNI game isn't a 1-point W. Then the whole "best team to play NDSU" doesn't stick for the panthers and this conversation loses a lot of traction. Doesn't change how it went and how football goes.

Serious question, do you guys not have quality trainers for your players to get injured so often?

Sent from my microwave.

This................minus the microwave

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Nova, William & Mary better than a dozen or so playoff teams, Richmond better than a half dozen, even Delaware and JMU could have made some noise on opening playoff week...... Welcome to the CAA Clenz!

Yes they were, but UNI was also better than those teams, IMO. It's not about UNI making the playoffs, it's just about ranking them in the poll.

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM
If you want to play the Northern Iowa cry me a river game, Villanova beat national runner-up Towson, knocked Delaware (the only other team to beat Towson in the regular season) out of the playoffs in the final weekend, beat one of the top defensive teams in the country William & Mary (the only team I saw in person this season that was close to NDSU on the defensive side of the ball), came within a couple of points of beating CAA champion Maine, lost on a two-point conversion in the final seconds to national semifinalist New Hampshire and was a play or two away from beating a very good Fordham team and BCS Boston College. And, yes, the Wildcats were decimated by injuries from early in the season. Using the UNI logic, Villanova could have made a run in the playoffs, too. But did the Wildcats deserve to be a playoff team at 6-5, even with one of the most talented teams in the country? You have to win some games.

I remember seeing Marshall beat Appalachian State in 1996, 24-10. It was the closest game that Marshall had all year (despite all of the talk around here in the past 24 hours, still the best FCS team that I have seen in my 21 years of covering the subdivision) and was a much more competitive game than that year's national championship game for Marshall over a previously undefeated Montana squad. But Appalachian State didn't make the playoffs with a 7-4 record. There are certain standards that are understood by teams if you are going to make the playoffs and Northern Iowa didn't win enough games this season and stubbed its toes too many times in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

There are a lot of CAA and MVFC teams that could have made a run in the playoffs. The reason I started this thread, was I thought UNI was the best FCS team the Bison played all season, and should they be ranked? UNI also has a FBS win prior to the injury spree.

Cocky
January 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM
UTM, EKU and Murray could have beaten several playoff teams.

CommishBigSmooth
January 5th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Let's not forget NDSU had injuries to Colville (center) and Gimmestad (guard) and had to start a true freshman (Plankers) in the game to fill in. But no one gives the Bison any slack for that in the "what if" discussions. So be it.

UNI got two fumbles inside NDSU's 25-yard line. Fumble #1 led to three plays, two yards and three points. Fumble #2 led to three plays, six yards and three points. Missed opportunities with the "healthy" lineup, apparently.

So apparently after this devastating defeat to NDSU, the injuries are being cited as a reason for:

Overtime against Southern Illinois, down by a TD, facing 3rd-and-1 on SIU 16- two plays, no yards, no points. Loss.
Overtime against South Dakota, down by a TD, facing 3rd-and-3 on USD 6- two plays, no yards, no points. Loss.
Overtime against South Dakota State, tie game, 1st-and-goal at SDSU 6- three plays, one yard, settle for three points. SDSU then goes four plays, 25 yards for the TD on the UNI defense. Loss.

To summarize post NDSU: seven critical offensive plays, none of which requires gaining more than six yards and in some cases requiring one single yard. Gained one total yard. Scored a total of three points. Led to three losses against non-playoff teams.

And I didn't even include Illinois State, a ten point loss.

Are the Panthers the best FCS team NDSU played this year? A good case can be made. They certainly had NDSU in the most trouble, because of circumstances they created to some degree.

But the bottom line is that UNI earned what they got this year, injuries or no injuries. A seat on the sidelines at playoff time. This second best team in the FCS claim is, to me, for the reasons listed above, invalid.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM
UNI always seems to find a way to lose when it matters most......cue the clenz meltdown from the "Most gut wrenching loss ever thread" a few weeks ago. xlolx

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 05:43 PM

Sent from my microwave.
How does a trainer prevent torn ACL's compound fractures of a leg and feet, dislocated elbows, and concussions?

NDB
January 5th, 2014, 05:53 PM
That's their business.

NDSUSR
January 5th, 2014, 05:56 PM
This second best team in the FCS claim is, to me, for the reasons listed above, invalid.

Towson is #2, this is a fact.

SIUSalukiFan
January 5th, 2014, 05:59 PM

You know, it's a sad story but the history of sports is littered with players and teams that didn't achieve greatness due to factors beyond their control.

I think UNI had a fantastic team this year and I always defend my MVC brethren but it takes a lot of balls for somebody to climb out of bed on the day after the FCS national championship, start a thread on AGS and whine-ass about what-might-have-been for a team that finished 7-5.

Just STFU already.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 05:59 PM
You know, it's a sad story but the history of sports is littered with players and teams that didn't achieve greatness due to factors beyond their control.

I think UNI had a fantastic team this year and I always defend my MVC brethren but it takes a lot of balls for somebody to climb out of bed on the day after the FCS national championship, start a thread on AGS and whine-ass about what-might-have-been for a team that finished 7-5.

Just STFU already.
Look who started the thread you ****ing douche bag

SIUSalukiFan
January 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Look who started the thread you ****ing douche bag

I know who started the thread and I know it wasn't you. My post said as much. I only quoted you because you were parroting the author.

Now, let's get to the serious question ... is douchebag one word or two? I think if you are referring to a bag of douche it would be two words but if you are using it to describe a conference friend it has to be one. xlolx

Lehigh'98
January 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
How high can you really rank UNI with 5 losses? Certainly not in the top 10. You can't rank a team based on their 5 healthy games and ignore the rest of the season.

SIUSalukiFan
January 5th, 2014, 06:42 PM
How high can you really rank UNI with 5 losses? Certainly not in the top 10. You can't rank a team based on their 5 healthy games and ignore the rest of the season.

I remember back in 2000 when Kenyon Martin was a senior at Cincinnati and he broke his leg in the first round of the C-USA tournament. There was discussion you couldn't seed Cincy No. 1 because it wasn't the same team.

That started an annual discussion that still goes on today. The talking heads at ESPN will say "Duke was 19-0 with Player X in the lineup" so it should be judged on that, not the fact it was 5-6 without Player X in the lineup.

I think there are very few people on this board who wouldn't agree Northern Iowa was a very, very good team this year. And, I think there are very, very few people on this board who would disagree with the notion that the Panthers had a very unfortunate season in terms of injuries.

But, you can't put them in the playoffs anyway.

Southern Illinois finished 7-5 just like UNI, beat the Panthers in Cedar Falls and were ahead of North Dakota State early in the second half when our QB - the leading passer and total offense producer in the MVFC - went down for the season. We might have played NDSU close and probably beat Missouri State with him in the lineup ... I think I'll start a thread on how badly the Salukis got screwed. xblehx

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I remember back in 2000 when Kenyon Martin was a senior at Cincinnati and he broke his leg in the first round of the C-USA tournament. There was discussion you couldn't seed Cincy No. 1 because it wasn't the same team.

That started an annual discussion that still goes on today. The talking heads at ESPN will say "Duke was 19-0 with Player X in the lineup" so it should be judged on that, not the fact it was 5-6 without Player X in the lineup.

I think there are very few people on this board who wouldn't agree Northern Iowa was a very, very good team this year. And, I think there are very, very few people on this board who would disagree with the notion that the Panthers had a very unfortunate season in terms of injuries.

Southern Illinois finished 7-5 just like UNI, beat the Panthers in Cedar Falls and were ahead of North Dakota State early in the second half when our QB - the leading passer and total offense producer in the MVFC - went down for the season. We might have played NDSU close and probably beat Missouri State with him in the lineup ... I think I'll start a thread on how badly the Salukis got screwed. xblehxYou only had 6 D1 wins.

The fact the committee took a team with 6 D1 wins in a 12 game season is a sham on many levels.

It opens up a 5 win team in an 11 game season

darell1976
January 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Southern Illinois finished 7-5 just like UNI, beat the Panthers in Cedar Falls and were ahead of North Dakota State early in the second half when our QB - the leading passer and total offense producer in the MVFC - went down for the season. We might have played NDSU close and probably beat Missouri State with him in the lineup ... I think I'll start a thread on how badly the Salukis got screwed. xblehx

Don't worry...Dale is going to have his hands full trying to get 7 wins with a whole new coaching staff.

centennial
January 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
You only had 6 D1 wins.

The fact the committee took a team with 6 D1 wins in a 12 game season is a sham on many levels.

It opens up a 5 win team in an 11 game season
The committee is made up of idiots that treat nominations like voting a SC judge. We need to have a good ranking system and rely less on the bs that the committee brings.

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Southeastern Louisiana had a ton of injuries this year also ... we lost CB Todd Washington (NFL prospect) midway through the season, plus his backup ... we lost one of our top LBs, three starting OL, including our all-conference center who missed both playoff games ... Bryan Bennett played with a strained MCL and a partially torn thumb ligament on his throwing hand ... three of our top four RBs were hurt vs Sam Houston in the playoffs and wouldn't have played against UNH under ordinary circumstances ... not to mention we lost two other projected starters before the season even started, plus a key backup at LB ... all tolled, we had 15 or 16 surgeries.

In spite of all, we still managed to win our league in dominant fashion, get a good seed and win a playoff game, and were close to reaching the semifinals. We expect to be improved in 2014, with a bunch coming back.

McNeese72
January 5th, 2014, 08:29 PM

You aren't going to get much sympathy from the McNeese fans after our 2011 and 2012 M.A.S.H. seasons and you want get much sympathy from the UCA fans after their 2013 season. Been there and done that with the injuries.

Doc

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Southeastern Louisiana had a ton of injuries this year also ... we lost CB Todd Washington (NFL prospect) midway through the season, plus his backup ... we lost one of our top LBs, three starting OL, including our all-conference center who missed both playoff games ... Bryan Bennett played with a strained MCL and a partially torn thumb ligament on his throwing hand ... three of our top four RBs were hurt vs Sam Houston in the playoffs and wouldn't have played against UNH under ordinary circumstances ... not to mention we lost two other projected starters before the season even started, plus a key backup at LB ... all tolled, we had 15 or 16 surgeries.

In spite of all, we still managed to win our league in dominant fashion, get a good seed and win a playoff game, and were close to reaching the semifinals. We expect to be improved in 2014, with a bunch coming back.
UNI would have win the SLC as well...as would SDSU and possibly YSU and SIU

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM
UNI would have win the SLC as well...as would SDSU and possibly YSU and SIU

I doubt it.

centennial
January 5th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I doubt it.
While that might be debatable.. MVFC is not the Big Sky. SDSU did beat you guys and UNI beat McNeese, along with maybe YSU these teams would compete for the title.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM
While that might be debatable.. MVFC is not the Big Sky. SDSU did beat you guys and UNI beat McNeese, along with maybe YSU these teams would compete for the title.
UNI beat McNeese by 35 points - and pulled the starters halfway through the 4th.
SDSU beat SLU 2 years in a row.

I'm sorry. I can't take that conference seriously this year.

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2014, 09:19 PM
UNI beat McNeese by 35 points - and pulled the starters halfway through the 4th.
SDSU beat SLU 2 years in a row.

I'm sorry. I can't take that conference seriously this year.

We beat McNeese by 34, on the road, in a conference in-state rivalry game, that was never close ... as for SDSU, not gonna go into it for the 100th time, but you can do your own research into how we lost that game ... you guys lost to them as well as I recall.

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2014, 09:24 PM

Not sure what the Big Sky has to do with anything. Clenz said they "WOULD" win the SLC, along with SDSU and YSU ... I don't think they would have, though I agree they could definitely "compete" for it.

clenz
January 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM
We beat McNeese by 34, on the road, in a conference in-state rivalry game, that was never close ... as for SDSU, not gonna go into it for the 100th time, but you can do your own research into how we lost that game ... you guys lost to them as well as I recall.
Um...I think SDSU scored more points than you...2 years in a row.

I think that's how that happened.

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Um...I think SDSU scored more points than you...2 years in a row.

I think that's how that happened.

And they scored more than UNI as well. As did four other MVC teams this year. That's why you sat home for the playoffs.

BisonHype!
January 5th, 2014, 09:33 PM
xpopcornx

kbswish22
January 6th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Let's not forget that UNH won on the road against the SLC champs. NDSU could have beat UNH 70-7 if it had wanted to.

lionsrking2
January 6th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Let's not forget that UNH won on the road against the SLC champs. NDSU could have beat UNH 70-7 if it had wanted to.

NDSU could have beaten a lot of people 70-7 on a given day, especially at home being the last game in Fargo under Bohl.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Interesting read on this thread.

Pre-injury, UNI had a very good team. In fact, I would have considered them a #2 seed for the playoffs if they didn't sustain so many injuries. But it is woulda, coulda and shoulda for UNI. Bottom line.....win one more game this year.

Every team has injuries, the Bison have had a ton this year too. That is what depth is for.....as Bohl has said....."next man up'.

lionsrking2
January 6th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Interesting read on this thread.

Pre-injury, UNI had a very good team. In fact, I would have considered them a #2 seed for the playoffs if they didn't sustain so many injuries. But it is woulda, coulda and shoulda for UNI. Bottom line.....win one more game this year.

Every team has injuries, the Bison have had a ton this year too. That is what depth is for.....as Bohl has said....."next man up'.

That was the point of my original response. Everybody has injuries, some more than others ... some have more depth than others ... you play the hand your dealt the best you can.

Wallace
January 6th, 2014, 10:41 AM
... Pre-injury, UNI had a very good team. In fact, I would have considered them a #2 seed for the playoffs if they didn't sustain so many injuries. But it is woulda, coulda and shoulda for UNI. Bottom line.....win one more game this year...

Gawd yes, stop the loser whining people. The season is over and we have started the 2014 year. No one has lost a game yet so move on.

McNeese75
January 6th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Gawd yes, stop the loser whining people. The season is over and we have started the 2014 year. No one has lost a game yet so move on.

THIS!!! xnodx

UNHFootballAlum
January 6th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Unless you have more injuries next year

Pant8her
January 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM
To all of you that think this is a B!*#h session from UNI fan I think you need to remember that a NDSU fan started this thread. Whether they were sincere in starting it I will not speculate.

Every team has injuries and that it part of the game.
Every team has turnovers and that is part of the game.
Almost every game has a poor officiating call or more, but that too is part of the game.

My peace is UNI should have won at least one more regular season game to be in the playoffs (PERIOD).

For the NDSU fans that despise UNI as well as those whom respect us, congratulations on a well played season.

Congratulations on your new coaching staff I expect good things from Klieman and a few other former UNI players and coaches.

The other issue addressed is null and void since the season and playoffs are OVER, so lets move on.
Next season will be different and hopefully the FCS can and will beat up on a few FBS(BCS) teams…

Peace.

:D

Bisonator
January 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I think the whole purpose for the thread was to discuss where to rank UNI in the final poll. It kind of got sidetracked! (imagine that) xlolx

DoWe
January 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM
What a stupit thread X10.

clenz
January 6th, 2014, 03:26 PM
What a stupit thread X10.

I hope you have a great sense of irony...

MplsBison
January 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I hope you have a great sense of irony...

That he stupidly mispelled the word stupid, is not ironic - I believe that is a common misuage of the word for similar concept.