PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh President Leaving for England. Any Impact on PL "Council of Presidents" ?

ngineer
January 3rd, 2014, 08:56 PM
Announced today that Lehigh's President, Alice Gast, is leaving in July to become President of Imperial College in London. Gast was Lehigh's first woman president and was quite supportive of athletics; having been on the track and field team at Southern Cal while also valedictorian! There has been a fair amount of turnover in the past couple years at the PL schools (Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette, and now Lehigh) presidencies and it is those officers who really control the direction of the league. With Lehigh's history, I suspect the BOT will bring on someone with the same vision regarding the importance of athletics in the academic mix, but one never knows who's always driving the engine. With a lot of new presidents, I wonder whether that will slow any move to expand the PL from a football perspective?

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
I know just the guy for you.

http://images.c-spanvideo.org/Files/0f5/200447-m.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2014, 09:06 PM
This guy might be good, too.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/js1fQobyR_E/0.jpg

RichH2
January 3rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
Open question for the future. Our BOT extremely unlikely to alter their model in search for new Pres. given their makeup and track rscord for the last 45years.

MplsBison
January 3rd, 2014, 09:11 PM
I predict that the Patriot presidents will, noting the success of other high academic universities with major league football (Stanford, Rice, Duke, Northwestern - albeit not this season), abolish the concept of a forced, arbitrary academic minimum for football players.

They will allow the admissions departments at the schools to determine if any prospective football student-athlete is a good fit for the school's incoming class, using the criteria, methods and judgement that they've relied upon for every other admitted student.

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2014, 09:14 PM
Have you called Oberlin's Marvin Krislov? He thinks sthports are fabulouth!

http://new.oberlin.edu/dotAsset/1565361.jpg

Mr. C
January 3rd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Too bad we can't get some change like that in the Ivy League. Maybe if we did, there would be hope of the Ivies finally joining the FCS playoffs.

Sader87
January 3rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
"The 'Big East' you say? No, what I envision, since we aren't in the 'entertainment business,' is an athletic model were we dismantle decades of basketball and football success and compete in a model much like Columbia and Cornell. What could go wrong? After I leave this mortal coil, I'd like to be resurrected once more as Lehigh's president."

And yes, I'm going directly to Hell.

PAllen
January 3rd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Is it me, or has Lehigh been rolling through the presidents recently? I know Pete was there for a long time, but the last two don't seem to have stuck around very long. Honestly, I'm not sad to see Alice leave. My interactions with here were less than ideal (not terrible, but not what I would expect when directed towards an alum).

superman7515
January 3rd, 2014, 09:37 PM
Lehigh will drop football for rugby and join up with Oxford, Cambridge, et al for a new power conference in the UK.

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Imperial College is one of the very few in the UK to offer athletic scholarships.

Go...gate
January 3rd, 2014, 10:11 PM
I know this guy "Buddy" Karelis who would be just perfect for Lehigh..... xblehx

RichH2
January 3rd, 2014, 11:00 PM
Lehigh will drop football for rugby and join up with Oxford, Cambridge, et al for a new power conference in the UK.

and UD will still duck playing LU

Engineer86
January 4th, 2014, 06:33 AM

As long as there is a Rugby board that we can post on when our next President leaves. xlolx All Lehigh all the time.

President Gast was a great supporter of all our sports teams and I do the importance of the selection of our new President.

superman7515
January 4th, 2014, 09:08 AM

10 times in the last 28 years is hardly ducking, especially considering the 9-1 record against the Future UPS Drivers of America.

Go...gate
January 4th, 2014, 10:30 AM

I think Oxford and Cambridge shouild join the Patriot League! We have to teach them Anerican Football, though....

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 4th, 2014, 10:42 AM
This guy might be good, too.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/js1fQobyR_E/0.jpg

Uncle Buck will gladly oversee the relocation process!! xlolx xlolx

ngineer
January 4th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Is it me, or has Lehigh been rolling through the presidents recently? I know Pete was there for a long time, but the last two don't seem to have stuck around very long. Honestly, I'm not sad to see Alice leave. My interactions with here were less than ideal (not terrible, but not what I would expect when directed towards an alum).

Not really. In this day and age most Presidents don't go beyond 10 years and she will have been here 7. Plus, she was not looking to leave; she was sought out and the gig is a big step up for her considering her academic and research background. Decades ago it was not unusual for college Presidents/Chancellors to stay 20 years or so; of course, that was very dependent on the faculty. Today, many more 'angles' to be addressed, with one of the primary being fund raising/ 'revenue' development. Likins' stay was longer than most and he, too, loved (and still does) Lehigh. He still attends the NCAA wrestling tournament and sits with the Lehigh fans. Farrington, who followed, was the 'odd duck' who could have been another Rothkopf that Laughyette suffered with, but he was smart enough to see that any interference with athletics would have resulted in a firing. So he was 'removed' emotionally and intellectually from athletics.

The next appointment I would suspect will be someone who sees the ability to meld excellent academics with excellent athletic programs as part of the training for tomorrow's leaders in industry, the professions and business. Certainly someone from a 'like-minded' institutional background would be expected.

Pard4Life
January 4th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Another Lehigh thread?? xsmhx

This is like, thread add-on news, not its own thread on AGS.

DFW HOYA
January 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Where was the "Brian Mitchell Leaves Bucknell, Any Impact on PL "Council of Presidents"? thread a few years ago?

Oh, wait...

xlolx All Lehigh all the time.

blukeys
January 4th, 2014, 09:57 PM

Typical whiny Lehigh BS. No one at UD gives a second thought to Lehigh. You guys are obsessed and need some serious help. Get over yourselves. The fact is you are just not that good.

You want a game? Come to the Tub.

ngineer
January 4th, 2014, 11:45 PM
We'll take home and homes with UNH and JMU, thank you. I love playing the CAA schools, and would love to play the Hens again, but if they don't want to travel to Goodman at least one out of three games, then so be it.

Go...gate
January 4th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Colgate travels to Newark in 2014 in search of that ever-elusive first win over the Blue Hens.

- - - Updated - - -

Colgate travels to Newark in 2014 in search of that elusive first win over the Blue Hens.

JimLU
January 5th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Colgate travels to Newark in 2014 in search of that ever-elusive first win over the Blue Hens.

- - - Updated - - -

Colgate travels to Newark in 2014 in search of that elusive first win over the Blue Hens.I just looked it up and am shocked. Colgate never beat Delaware (0 for 5). But never played them before 1977.....

jimbo65
January 5th, 2014, 07:10 AM
"The 'Big East' you say? No, what I envision, since we aren't in the 'entertainment business,' is an athletic model were we dismantle decades of basketball and football success and compete in a model much like Columbia and Cornell. What could go wrong? After I leave this mortal coil, I'd like to be resurrected once more as Lehigh's president."

And yes, I'm going directly to Hell.

If that is Fr. Brooks, you have a great sense of humor.

A few years ago I went to a HC, Fordham game in the BX. At one point, over the p a, there was a mention of the "contribution" he made to athletics. Talk about rewriting history.

Bogus Megapardus
January 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Why does it seem that those PantyStains just can't seem to get anything done right? Lafayette upcoming schedules:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6550/gauo.png

Pard4Life
January 5th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Why does it seem that those PantyStains just can't seem to get anything done right? Lafayette upcoming schedules:

I believe that we are also scheduled for 2017 as well... three game series 1-2-1.

ngineer
January 5th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Looks like they're willing to play you but not us.

Franks Tanks
January 5th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Looks like they're willing to play you but not us.

Yes, because Lafayette in the spirit of compromise gave them a 2 for 1. I'm sure if Lehigh would do the same you would get the same deal, but maybe you guys were already playing CCSU or Monmouth that week.

Lafayette plays Army is 2016 as well correct? With Delaware at home, Army and Princeton that year we have an excellent schedule lined up for Reed's senior year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Yes, because Lafayette in the spirit of compromise gave them a 2 for 1. I'm sure if Lehigh would do the same you would get the same deal, but maybe you guys were already playing CCSU or Monmouth that week.

Lafayette plays Army is 2016 as well correct? With Delaware at home, Army and Princeton that year we have an excellent schedule lined up for Reed's senior year.

Lehigh has tried that....

Either way, water under the bridge. UNH has been the more consistent program the last 5 years.

I'm more interested in a Temple-Delaware game at the Linc...

RichH2
January 5th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Interesting to see how schedules develop over next 5-6 years. Nice coup for Pards getting a series with UD. I still like our ones with UNH and JMU.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Yes, because Delaware wants Ws....

FIFY

ngineer
January 6th, 2014, 12:06 AM

We have offered them two at the TUB and one at Goodman over past several years and they wouldn't agree. That is solid information. Maybe with the new regime at Newark that will change. We'd love to renew that series.