PDA

View Full Version : Terence West to declare for draft

ursus arctos horribilis
January 2nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
according to this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/1u8zay/towsons_terrance_west_to_declare_for_nfl_draft/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

superman7515
January 2nd, 2014, 01:39 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/01/02/towson-rb-terrance-west-declare-2014-nfl-draft/

On Saturday afternoon, the Towson Tigers will be looking to complete their impressive run through the NCAA FCS playoffs by knocking off the powerhouse North Dakota State University Bison. Towson is led by a strong rushing attack thanks to star running back Terrance West and an experience offensive line, but it appears that this game will be their last hurrah.

With many of the Towson offensive linemen graduating after the season, West is preparing to take his game to the pros and forgo his final year of eligibility to declare for the 2014 NFL Draft. An announcement will be made following the FCS Championship Game.

FanSided.com has been able to confirm the news, which was originally reported by Campus SportsNet (http://www.campussportsnet.com/2014/01/02/terrance-west-going-pro/).

Bisonator
January 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM
I posted this in the game thread. Not much to discuss I guess it was a forgone conclusion by most.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 2nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
I posted this in the game thread. Not much to discuss I guess it was a forgone conclusion by most.

Oh, I missed that one nator. Think you may be correct, it is not really unexpected.

TU Tiger Town
January 2nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
xbawlingx Can't say I'm surprised though.

As the excerpt says, he's losing most of the OL to graduation so that combined with the team getting more attention then usual this season makes it the best time for him personally to leave. I'd expect that his stats wouldn't be as gaudy next season. Shame though, he could have broken Westbook's TD record within the first couple of games next season.

Hopefully he'll get drafted so we can have 2 former Tigers in the NFL next season (along with Bushrod, Bears OT).

Lets go out on top T-West!!

hebmskebm
January 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
What's a realistic place for him to be taken in the draft? Even if it's Rounds 3-4 that's probably as high as a RB from the FCS is going to go, so it makes sense to go now.

blukeys
January 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
West is also already 24. NFL running backs have a short lifespan. Very few last as long as 10 years. Most are gone after 5. I think West has the size to go past 5 but at that stage he is 29.

West is ready for the NFL right now. He might as well go. I would worry about a possible injury in his senior year that would negate a possible pro contract. If West lasts until the third round, he is a steal.

dudeitsaid
January 3rd, 2014, 02:02 AM
I've tried to find this info somewhere, but I must not know where to look. I figured Randy Moss would be the highest draft pick from an FCS school that declared as a junior, but when he enterred the draft, Marshall had moved up for a season to 1A. Anyone know the highest a junior from the FCS has gone in the draft?

Having seen two standout players from EWU declare early the past couple of seasons, it makes me wonder how high these guys can really go. It does seem 3rd or 4th round would be good, as Taiwan Jones went in the 4th. But Brandon Kaufman, after his outstanding 2012 season went undrafted.

On a side note, anyone know the highest draft pick ever from the FCS? EWU had Michael Roos go in the 2nd round as the 41st pick in 2005.

I hate seeing these players go early. I would have loved to see the tandem of Brandon Kaufman and Cooper Kupp this year, but I can't really blame them. Going at the height of their publicity is probably the best chance they will get from the FCS level.

Mr. C
January 3rd, 2014, 02:19 AM
I challenged the guy on fansided.com to produce a real source and he deleted my post in his comment section. All this guy is sourcing is ANOTHER Internet site with basically the same info and no source. I sat near Terrance on four different plane flights in the past two or three weeks and know from talking to him what a quiet, team-oriented player he is. He isn't the one talking about this right now. Everyone from Towson is speculating that West will turn pro, but saying this is official is just bad reporting and rumor-mongering. There are other things I could speculate on with the Towson program right now that I know from very strong sources, but this is a week for focusing on the game, not a bunch of rumors from Internet sites (meaning that criticism towards those producing the rumors, not any of you guys here at AGS).

Wallace
January 3rd, 2014, 02:19 AM
... On a side note, anyone know the highest draft pick ever from the FCS? EWU had Michael Roos go in the 2nd round as the 41st pick in 2005...

Not sure highest ever but several first-rounders (or higher overall than Roos) have been selected from the FCS since 1999: (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?470-NFL-Drafts-of-Former-FCS-Student-Athletes)

2000 Draft 28 student-athletes
1 21 21 Kansas City Sylvester Morris WR Jackson State
1 23 23 Carolina Rashard Anderson CB Jackson State

2003 Draft 14 student-athletes
2 7 39 Jacksonville Rashean Mathis DB Bethune Cookman

2008 Draft 24 student-athletes
1 16 16 Arizona Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee State
1 18 18 Baltimore Joe Flacco QB Delaware

2012 Draft 14 student-athletes
2 1 33 St. Louis Rams Brian Quick WR Appalachian State

Mr. C
January 3rd, 2014, 02:22 AM
I've tried to find this info somewhere, but I must not know where to look. I figured Randy Moss would be the highest draft pick from an FCS school that declared as a junior, but when he enterred the draft, Marshall had moved up for a season to 1A. Anyone know the highest a junior from the FCS has gone in the draft?

Having seen two standout players from EWU declare early the past couple of seasons, it makes me wonder how high these guys can really go. It does seem 3rd or 4th round would be good, as Taiwan Jones went in the 4th. But Brandon Kaufman, after his outstanding 2012 season went undrafted.

On a side note, anyone know the highest draft pick ever from the FCS? EWU had Michael Roos go in the 2nd round as the 41st pick in 2005.

I hate seeing these players go early. I would have loved to see the tandem of Brandon Kaufman and Cooper Kupp this year, but I can't really blame them. Going at the height of their publicity is probably the best chance they will get from the FCS level.
Steve McNair was the third overall pick of the 1995 draft. Don't know if someone matched that, or went higher off the top of my head. There have been plenty of first rounders over the years with FCS backgrounds. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Joe Flacco were first round picks in 2008.

Wallace
January 3rd, 2014, 02:32 AM
Brain freeze! xlolx Of course McNair was the highest ever FCS draft pick, none ever went higher. Picks #34 San Diego Chargers Terrance Shaw CB Stephen F. Austin St. and #35 Houston Oilers Anthony Cook DE South Carolina State also went early that year. A nice resource. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft)

Wallace
January 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
Since the NCAA 1972 there has been only 1974 #1. Dallas Cowboys Too Tall Jones DE Tennessee State that went higher (obviously not FCS). Trivia over. :)