PDA

View Full Version : SWAC, Grambling, Anyone?

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 06:48 AM
What's the deal with Grambling? I thought they had their QB situation taken care of and were set to look like world-beaters again?

They get a bad call (ruled as such by the SWAC this past week) which gave them a "gift" victory over Mississippi Valley State and then yesterday, stunned by Arkansas Pine-Bluff in Little Rock.

Standings now look like this...
East
Jackson State 4-0 5-1
Alabama A&M 3-1 5-1
Alabama State 3-3 3-4
Alcorn State 2-2 3-3
Mississippi Valley State 2-3 3-4

West
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2-2 3-3
Grambling State 2-2 2-4
Southern University 2-3 3-4
Texas Southern 2-3 2-4
Prairie View A&M 1-4 2-4

We'd have Jackson St vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff for the SWAC title. What a change of pace that'd be, especially considering SU and Grambling have dominated the SWAC West side of things. And hey, you really can't even count Texas Southern out. Four teams within a half a game in the SWAC West. Anything can happen! Keep it up, SWAC!

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Its been hibernation time in the SWAC

Mr. Tiger
October 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
It has been a wild and strange year in the SWAC. Matter of fact, it has also been a wild and strange year in the Southland and OVC. :nod: What's going on? Well, anyway...Alabama A&M and Jackson State have looked pretty good this year. The West will still come down to Southern and Grambling in the Bayou Classic.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 03:34 PM
The West will still come down to Southern and Grambling in the Bayou Classic.

Guess that's what poor officiating does, keep a team like Grambling in the mix. They should be 1-3 without question with their sole win over a very poor Prairie View A&M squad. They've got half their SWAC schedule left. Some of those games against the East aren't going to be pretty for the Tigers...

PMB4Life
October 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Look, I guess I've got to ask this: as an SHSU fan, why are you so concerned about the SWAC? Shouldn't your 56-3 drubbing by Texas be enough of an issue for you?

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
:nod:
Look, I guess I've got to ask this: as an SHSU fan, why are you so concerned about the SWAC? Shouldn't your 56-3 drubbing by Texas be enough of an issue for you?

I'm in SWAC country...grew up hearing all about Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M, now live in the heart of SWAC country where Southern and Grambling get quite a bit of run and play the biggest HBCU classic each year...

56-3 drubbing? You mean, the game that prepared the Kats to run off three straight wins? The one where all these Texas fans were complimenting the Kats attitude and their ability to play some 'ball? The one which proved to our running back, DD Terry, that he's a world beater and set him on fire, making him the #1 running back in the SLC and giving him the thought that he could be a big-time college RB? I've never felt so good after a loss like that, but apparently you wouldn't know much about the Bearkats to understand how much that game meant to our program and players...

slostang
October 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
It has been a wild and strange year in the SWAC. Matter of fact, it has also been a wild and strange year in the Southland and OVC. :nod: What's going on? Well, anyway...Alabama A&M and Jackson State have looked pretty good this year. The West will still come down to Southern and Grambling in the Bayou Classic.
At 5-1 both Jackson State and Alabama A&M are both looking good.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Here we go again, the "you're not a SWAC fan, so you can't discuss the SWAC" argument

PIRATETIZED1
October 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Posted by AppGuy04
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMB4Life

Here we go again, the "you're not a SWAC fan, so you can't discuss the SWAC" argument

xsmileyclapx :thumbsup:

PIRATETIZED :cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

October 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM
A&M looked good?

Alabama A&M 21, (D-II) Stillman 14, at Alabama A&M

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 06:02 PM
At 5-1 both Jackson State and Alabama A&M are both looking good.

Agreed, I gave some SWAC love to my AGS poll...

As many, if not more SWAC teams than SLC teams unfortunately...:bang:

I'm a big fan of Comegy and Jackson State for sure. He's a helluva interview and a loose cannon at that! He wants the SWAC to have a vision and move forward to playing in the I-AA playoffs so he can promote playing for an NCAA championship to his players. Boy, can Comegy recruit!

The SWAC as a whole, according to SWAC Page does not have a vision for football. Seems a lot of their fans are upset with how they compete out of conference. I've read quite a few disgruntled posts with a fair amount of posts to them. Just seems to be a conference that is a bit perplexed...

PMB4Life
October 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM

It's just an observation... for what it's worth the SWAC is of very little consquence to me, since I'm far enough north and the SWAC is incredibly unlikely to schedule a game with anyone from the Gateway (nor should they have to with I-AA football being strong in the South). My observation is that TT seems to take a lot of jabs at the SWAC. It might not even be true, it's just what I notice.

I will now let the conversation continue unabated.

Mr. Tiger
October 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM
A&M looked good?

Alabama A&M 21, (D-II) Stillman 14, at Alabama A&M

I understand, but I'm not shocked Ralph. A&M's offense is very run based so they play many close games. They don't score many points. I can't remember the last time they blew out anyone.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
It's just an observation... for what it's worth the SWAC is of very little consquence to me, since I'm far enough north and the SWAC is incredibly unlikely to schedule a game with anyone from the Gateway (nor should they have to with I-AA football being strong in the South). My observation is that TT seems to take a lot of jabs at the SWAC. It might not even be true, it's just what I notice.

SWAC oddly enough scheduled more games with the Gateway (Ark-PB vs Southern Illinois) than they did with the geographically beneficial Southland Conference. SWAC does a good job of scheduling the SLC across the board, especially in Title IX sports. I've also seen a fair bit of SWAC schools playing road games at NAIAs in Title IX sports as well...

mikebigg
October 15th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I came over to post a thread on the subject of Grambling football. Its only fitting that I come on here now that we're 2-4 since I was frequent last year.

Anyway... we have some good talent on our squad. However we have been inconsistent in areas that plague any offense. Things like poor execution, but mostly questionable playcalling. If Melvin Spears the Head Coach could overrule some of the plays from Melvin Spears the Offen Coordinator, we would have lost only the UH game. At 5-1 things would be much different.

A lot of our woes can also be attributed to a defense that is unGrambling! People are running through our defense like crap thru a goose. I believe we are dead last in run defense. The problem is not lack of talent or lack of effort...it's bad schemes and a serious need to make a change in the DC position. Coach Palmer is a good staff guy ...he is not a defensive coordinator. We need to make a serious hire there!

We can still right things...but we can't afford to win. Our offense is explosive...but we shouldn't be throwing it 47 times a game like we did last week. We have good backs but they are terribly underutilized. The team still is in the hunt and we can win the rest of our games. No team is head and shoulders but right now JSU and A&M seem to be the two best teams (especially from a records standpoint). But Grambling will probably win the rest of the games and if we make it to the SCG, we will win that. But our coach has to stop with the unsound football decisions. We can win despite our defense...which has talent but lack of quidance.

MACHIAVELLI
October 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
. Boy, can Comegy recruit!.

What makes you say that?

jstate83
October 24th, 2006, 04:33 PM
What makes you say that?
Wait til spring and you will have your answer.:nod:

MACHIAVELLI
October 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Wait til spring and you will have your answer.:nod:

Why, apparently with his statement it seems as if he has already seen comegy's recruiting prowess. I am asking the terrorist to tell me why he thinks that.

jstate83
October 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Why, apparently with his statement it seems as if he has already seen comegy's recruiting prowess. I am asking the terrorist to tell me why he thinks that.

Dude .............Comegy was here 3 months and brought in 51 NEW PLAYERS.

He has been here 10 months with 4 more to go until recruiting season.
You do the math....................Especially with these kids around here visiting JSU again.

he went out and got what he NEEDED last Spring.
This time..............They can get what they WANT now that the foundation has been layed and those JuCo's have 1 year in his system.
Now he can recruit 4 year players.

BLUE TIGER
October 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM

You do the math....................Especially with these kids around here visiting JSU again.

he went out and got what he NEEDED last Spring.
This time..............They can get what they WANT now that the foundation has been layed and those JuCo's have 1 year in his system.
Now he can recruit 4 year players.

Yes, Comegy is on fire with recruiting. Febuary just can't come soon enough.

BLUE TIGER
October 24th, 2006, 09:24 PM
He wants the SWAC to have a vision and move forward to playing in the I-AA playoffs so he can promote playing for an NCAA championship to his players. Boy, can Comegy recruit!

The SWAC as a whole, according to SWAC Page does not have a vision for football. Seems a lot of their fans are upset with how they compete out of conference. I've read quite a few disgruntled posts with a fair amount of posts to them. Just seems to be a conference that is a bit perplexed...

Yes, Comegy's playoff vision is something that many JSU fans deserve. With Comegy's great recruiting and coaching, we should make plenty of noise in the playoffs. This years SWAC winter meetings will be the starting point and the rest will be history.

MACHIAVELLI
October 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Maybe you can pull that on some of the AGS folks but this is Mach. Mach knows that JSU was gonna get new recruits once the new coach, know matter who it was, was announced. He is not doing anything that hasn't been done in the SWAC before. I know it has been a loooooooooooooong time since you won a SWAC title and I know that the weak part of you SWAC schedule (prior to the ICON) has jsu fans thinking they are World Beaters and all but you will be ready to compete with the ICON in a few years. :thumbsup: I hope jsu does well, I want to beat you like we used to when you were supposed to have a good team.

Geaux Tigers !!!

HIU 93
October 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM

I will now let the conversation continue unabated.

Finally- an honest opinion on TT from someone other than me and the SWAC fans.

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Finally- an honest opinion on TT from someone other than me and the SWAC fans.

I'm just using arguments addressed on SWACPage and bringing them to the general I-AA community because they are interesting areas of discussion that are in some cases, very unique to I-AA. Doesn't Ralph call HBCU, one of the "jewels" of I-AA?

I guess because I'm not from an HBCU, I'm not allowed to talk about them, just like non-Jews can't make Jewish jokes, eh? There goes my chance at being an equal opprotunity offender, I'm sorry San Diego and Charleston South! :)

And this is all discussions from the last week...

SWAC Officiating Woes:
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64922

SWAC Fans Questioning Direction of SWAC:
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64891

SWAC Deal with ESPNU "Unfriendly":
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64689

SWAC Faithful Wanting Large Pay Days from Low Level I-As
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64557

How Dumb is the SWAC Commish?
http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64420

jstate83
October 25th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Maybe you can pull that on some of the AGS folks but this is Mach. Mach knows that JSU was gonna get new recruits once the new coach, know matter who it was, was announced. He is not doing anything that hasn't been done in the SWAC before. I know it has been a loooooooooooooong time since you won a SWAC title and I know that the weak part of you SWAC schedule (prior to the ICON) has jsu fans thinking they are World Beaters and all but you will be ready to compete with the ICON in a few years. :thumbsup: I hope jsu does well, I want to beat you like we used to when you were supposed to have a good team.

Geaux Tigers !!!
First................Nobody believes we world beaters yet or anything close to it.
Gram and everybody else in the SWAC is posting on the SWACPAGE like we the defending 5 time Champs.....................Ya'll know what's comming down the road.
JSU against the SWAC...................AGAIN.
That's how we like it and ya'll know it.:nod:

We know we are not even close to where we will be and you know it also.
Year # 1 off a 3 year horror show and the foundation has been laid.
It can only get better.:nod:

Yep....................You beat us.
You also had 200 yds in penalties which ain't the mark of a good team either so stop crowing bout xlolx Icon this, Icon that xlolx .xlolx

DUDE................YA'LL GONNA BE xlolx "CRYING" xlolx LIKE IT'S THE 90'S AGAIN.
Once again..........Ya'll were not worth mentioning until 2001.
Just like everybody else...............Ya'll had your run.

I know.................Series lead.
Can't do anything about acient history.xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
October 25th, 2006, 10:45 AM
First................Nobody believes we world beaters yet or anything close to it.
Gram and everybody else in the SWAC is posting on the SWACPAGE like we the defending 5 time Champs.....................Ya'll know what's comming down the road.
JSU against the SWAC...................AGAIN.
That's how we like it and ya'll know it.:nod:

We know we are not even close to where we will be and you know it also.
Year # 1 off a 3 year horror show and the foundation has been laid.
It can only get better.:nod:

Yep....................You beat us.
You also had 200 yds in penalties which ain't the mark of a good team either so stop crowing bout xlolx Icon this, Icon that xlolx .xlolx

Once again..........Ya'll were not worth mentioning until 2001.
Just like everybody else...............Ya'll had your run.

I know.................Series lead.
Can't do anything about acient history.xlolx

Coming off 3 years in which your team won 6 games your fans came to Grambling and were chanting "We Own The SWAC" and saying "Comegy the Great" Your fans were taunting our players before the game as they were walking to the complex. But you say they didn't think they are world beaters. You can fool these guys, not me.

Let me give you a little history. When we have lots of penalties we win Championships ..check the records. I am not saying I like it, but the facts prove it.

Series record ICON-36 vs jsu-19 tie-1. Since 2000 ICON-5 vs JSU-1.

jackson had 50 yards passing. Our receiver Henry Tolbert had more yards that your entire offense. jackson crossed the 50 yard line 3 times the entire game. got inside the red zone once. Your starting QB Oliver runs in circles and has a noodle arm. Comegy blew the QB William Brack and Running back Dorian Smith red shirt seven games into the season. Your offense did not score a single point. But you want to talk about penalties.... xidiotx

jstate83
October 25th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Coming off 3 years in which your team won 6 games your fans came to Grambling and were chanting "We Own The SWAC" and saying "Comegy the Great" Your fans were taunting our players before the game as they were walking to the complex. But you say they didn't think they are world beaters. You can fool these guys, not me.

First of all......................What's different about us chanting that now.
He!!, you know that's been our attitude everywhere we go so don't act like it's a surprise.
I guess you expect JSU Fan's and players to say SORRY for being in 1st place so fast.

We having fun with this year.
Ya'll the SWAC CHAMPS...................The PRESSURE is on ya'll, NOT JSU. xlolx

As for trying to fool AGS members, You the only one of the 2 of us that post on everybody's board EXCEPT your own Conference's board.
You all on the MEAC page spouting this same drival.
Come to the SWACPAGE for a visit.
We will welcome you back. xlolx

Let me give you a little history. When we have lots of penalties we win Championships ..check the records. I am not saying I like it, but the facts prove it.

Heck................Now that's the attitude to have.
I'm sure the 16 championships we have was done in dispite of penalties also.
What's your point besides you seem to be satisified with winning ugly MR. SWAC CHAMP.
We rebuilding..............We will take an ugly win right now. xlolx

Series record ICON-36 vs jsu-19 tie-1. Since 2000 ICON-5 vs JSU-1.

Like I said.......Can't do anything about a lead that was built up when my Daddy was in Highschool.

As for the 5-1.........................BELL beat ya'll during your championship run.
NUff said.........xlolx

jackson had 50 yards passing. Our receiver Henry Tolbert had more yards that your entire offense. jackson crossed the 50 yard line 3 times the entire game. got inside the red zone once. Your starting QB Oliver runs in circles and has a noodle arm. Comegy blew the QB William Brack and Running back Dorian Smith red shirt seven games into the season. Your offense did not score a single point. But you want to talk about penalties.... xidiotx

Again..................These guy's have been playing together for 3 months.
The SWAC champs have been playing together in Spear's system for years.
Heck........................As SWAC Champs, you were supposed to win.

Again.....................Ain't no pressure on us this year.
This is a hang on and enjoy the ride year for us.

The pressure is on the SWAC Champs trying to get to .500.xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
October 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Again..................These guy's have been playing together for 3 months.
The SWAC champs have been playing together in Spear's system for years.
Heck........................As SWAC Champs, you were supposed to win.

Again.....................Ain't no pressure on us this year.
This is a hang on and enjoy the ride year for us.

The pressure is on the SWAC Champs trying to get to .500.xlolx

I feel you. I said, if you read, jackson is not there yet. I expected Grambling to win and I said that it wasn't going to be close. You keep thinking that I am trying to smack. I am talking facts. jackson did not beat Grambling during a championship year (2000, 2001, 2002 or 2005). If jackson played our schedule to this point they would be 1-6 or 2-5. jackson has never come into our stadium doing that, (not that it bothers me, it was funny) so don't act like it is common place. You guys are riding high, that is good. I hope you guys make the SCG I am tired of playing the Bamas everytime.