PDA

View Full Version : Willie Fritz to Georgia Southern?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 31st, 2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

According to this site, Fritz is interviewing with Georgia Southern for the job. Wouldn't mind having him here, but I don't think we can get him. Where do these guys get their information, anyways?

Sometimes I think these sites exist to help coaches haggle for raises.

BEAR
December 31st, 2013, 07:14 PM
IF I interviewed for another job just to get a raise at my current job, I'd be fired.

Nice privelage to have I guess.

BisonFan02
December 31st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Would be a decent move for Fritz potentially I guess...not sure I see the fit for Georgia Southern though. That isn't a knock on Fritz, but I see him being a better fit at other programs.

IBleedYellow
December 31st, 2013, 08:12 PM
Would be a great get, IMO.

Fritz is a good coach.

Sammy94
December 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
He runs a similar offense I think it would be a good fit. I just hope they find a better one.

BisonFan02
December 31st, 2013, 08:15 PM
Does Fritz keep the Triple O, or who is the first Eagle fan to "fire" him after the first loss without running a triple O?

BisonFan02
December 31st, 2013, 08:17 PM
He runs a similar offense I think it would be a good fit. I just hope they find a better one.

No they don't...watched both teams back-to-back years. Yes, there is a lot of option/wildcat with SHSU, but they are not comparable schemes...especially not to the liking of the Eagle faithful I think. Could be wrong though.

Nickels
December 31st, 2013, 08:29 PM
****...If he leaves I hope he at least takes Collins with him...

Sammy94
December 31st, 2013, 08:34 PM
I think we have a replacement already so he may go.

Samalum'10
December 31st, 2013, 10:00 PM
Umm who??

clenz
December 31st, 2013, 10:01 PM
Does Fritz keep the Triple O, or who is the first Eagle fan to "fire" him after the first loss without running a triple O?

It's pretty clear, imho, that gsu fans don't accept anyone that doesn't run a flex/wing triple option

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
December 31st, 2013, 10:04 PM
It's pretty clear, imho, that gsu fans don't accept anyone that doesn't run a flex/wing triple option

Nope...unless they win a natty without it...wait...never mind xlolx

McNeese75
December 31st, 2013, 11:47 PM
Umm who??

Collins xnodx

seantaylor
January 1st, 2014, 12:27 AM
Hell no. Jasper is our guy

Samalum'10
January 1st, 2014, 01:13 AM
Forget that noise

Sammy94
January 1st, 2014, 01:22 AM
Let's see what happens but not Collins or Stoker.

Tubakat2014
January 1st, 2014, 02:12 AM
I can't even have 6 hours of happiness after the Texans hired O'Brien, can I?

In any case, this is really intriguing. GSU would be wise to hire Fritz, but I really hope they go for someone more closely tied to the triple option. If they hire him, all the best to both Fritz and GSU. Call me a pessimist, I can't see SHSU finding a coach as good as Fritz in the near future.

Baldy
January 1st, 2014, 07:01 AM
I like Fritz, and think he is a great coach, but with his lack of recruiting ties to this part of the country I don't see it happening.

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 07:11 AM
I like Fritz, and think he is a great coach, but with his lack of recruiting ties to this part of the country I don't see it happening.
If recruiting is your top priority, Bobo is your guy. He Is. South Georgia guy with lots of connections.

GSU is 1-1 with UGA coordinators. Hit a home run with Erk and struck out with BVG. Bobo has no triple option background, but could do well with a read option offense.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 1st, 2014, 07:41 AM
If recruiting is your top priority, Bobo is your guy. He Is. South Georgia guy with lots of connections.

GSU is 1-1 with UGA coordinators. Hit a home run with Erk and struck out with BVG. Bobo has no triple option background, but could do well with a read option offense.

Paul Johnson coaching tree please. I don't even like our OC who played at UGA. Bobo is too accustomed to a culture where losing is acceptable as long as you make a good showing and have a decent season. Paul Johnson/Jeff Monken types get upset with poor execution even when they win 70-0.

Fritz certainly did good things at SHSU, but the PJ option is more than our offense - it's our identity. Navy, Army, Ga Tech and several lower-tier programs run OUR offense developed by PJ in 1985 at Ga Southern College.

PaladinFan
January 1st, 2014, 08:28 AM

That's what I was thinking. Does he have any ties to Georgia?

Unlike when Paul Johnson was at GSU, the state has changed from a recruiting standpoint. You have two more FCS programs contending for players.

I realize the administration has changed, but it wouldn't be terribly out of character for GSU to pull the trigger on a new coach without looking at the 30,000 foot view.

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 08:48 AM
Richt and Bobo love watching Paul Johnson get upset after yet another curb stomping by the dawgs. No national championships for UGA under Richt, but winning 75% of the time in the SEC is not too shabby. Prediction..., stay with the TO and the other GSU will soon pass you at the FBS level. Re "identity". Erk's signature was a wide tackle 6 defense but I am pretty sure he would have adapted to a more modern look if he were alive and coaching today. But, hey, it's your future. If you love the TO by all means, stay the course.

Paul Johnson coaching tree please. I don't even like our OC who played at UGA. Bobo is too accustomed to a culture where losing is acceptable as long as you make a good showing and have a decent season. Paul Johnson/Jeff Monken types get upset with poor execution even when they win 70-0.

Fritz certainly did good things at SHSU, but the PJ option is more than our offense - it's our identity. Navy, Army, Ga Tech and several lower-tier programs run OUR offense developed by PJ in 1985 at Ga Southern College.

blueballs
January 1st, 2014, 09:15 AM
Richt and Bobo love watching Paul Johnson get upset after yet another curb stomping by the dawgs. No national championships for UGA under Richt, but winning 75% of the time in the SEC is not too shabby. Prediction..., stay with the TO and the other GSU will soon pass you at the FBS level. Re "identity". Erk's signature was a wide tackle 6 defense but I am pretty sure he would have adapted to a more modern look if he were alive and coaching today. But, hey, it's your future. If you love the TO by all means, stay the course.

Take a look at how many UGA defensive alums are in the NFL vs. GT, then get back to me.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 1st, 2014, 09:21 AM

Thanks for regurgitating the myth maintained in Georgia for years. The winning percentage for UGA is "not too shabby" you say? For a school consistently Top 5 in the nation for revenue and recruiting to disappoint year after year with losses in important games? Navy and Ga Tech had money to offer PJ and PJ made those schools more competitive than they've been in years. In truth, FBS Ga Southern will recruit better than Navy and Tech because we have fewer restrictions. UGA recruits athletes who can't spell S-A-T and the Dawgs are usually more talented than their opponent, but the program has lacked character and heart for for over thirty years. Tell a team all they're expected to do is win 7 or 8 games and make a good showing in a bowl and you'll get mediocrity. UGA is a peer of Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Florida, USC, etc. UGA performs like Indiana, Ole Miss, Clemson, South Carolina,etc.

Erk was the motivator. PJ designed the offense based on the old concept. The offense has evolved and will continue to evolve, but relying on general athleticism rather than specific talent like passing gives us a better chance to compete.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 1st, 2014, 10:38 AM
That's what I was thinking. Does he have any ties to Georgia?

Unlike when Paul Johnson was at GSU, the state has changed from a recruiting standpoint. You have two more FCS programs contending for players.

I realize the administration has changed, but it wouldn't be terribly out of character for GSU to pull the trigger on a new coach without looking at the 30,000 foot view.

I don't think that can be an issue as long as Fritz would have an assistant on staff who knows the recruiting landscape. We have plenty of former players coaching in high schools around the state who can help us out.

Again, I don't think Fritz will come here, though. Our AD seems to have his heart set on an FBS assistant. Also, while a lot of our fan base thinks our moving to FBS automatically gives the program more gravitational pull with coaches, that just isn't the case.

PaladinFan
January 1st, 2014, 10:56 AM
I don't think that can be an issue as long as Fritz would have an assistant on staff who knows the recruiting landscape. We have plenty of former players coaching in high schools around the state who can help us out.

Again, I don't think Fritz will come here, though. Our AD seems to have his heart set on an FBS assistant. Also, while a lot of our fan base thinks our moving to FBS automatically gives the program more gravitational pull with coaches, that just isn't the case.

The FBS assistant question is an interesting one. This is just my opinion, but I think GSU (like most transitional programs) is in for some lean years. A good FBS assistant looking for a HC gig probably is going to be cautious in accepting a job (regardless of FBS stature) where you are virtually guaranteed to lose for 5 seasons.

If they want to move up the coaching ladder, there are better choices than to take over a program that is going to take on a bunch of losses with a fan base that does not have a long track record of patience with their coaches.

PaladinFan
January 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM
Crazy thought, here. What about Bobby Lamb?

Mercer just signed him to a long term extension, but we all know that contracts in college football always have escape hatches. He's shown the ability to win, recruit Georgia, and take over a transitioning program and quickly elevate a team to relevancy at the "next level."

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 1st, 2014, 11:06 AM
Crazy thought, here. What about Bobby Lamb?

Mercer just signed him to a long term extension, but we all know that contracts in college football always have escape hatches. He's shown the ability to win, recruit Georgia, and take over a transitioning program and quickly elevate a team to relevancy at the "next level."

I think Lamb would be a good pick contingent on him having a good recruiting coordinator to complement him. It would never happen, though.

The GSU board would crash the internet and bring down the national power grid.

eaglessoar20021
January 1st, 2014, 11:35 AM
Crazy thought, here. What about Bobby Lamb?"

Oh HELL NO!

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Take a look at how many UGA defensive alums are in the NFL vs. GT, then get back to me.
You have pinpointed the problem in Athens--D, first Willie Martinez and now Grantham. Bobo's O scores enough points to win most games but the D never fails to disappoint. Richt is loyal to a fault . He only dumped Willie Mart when the AD pressured him and the same wil be true with Grantham .

eaglessoar20021
January 1st, 2014, 01:24 PM
That world class Bobo O is not looking so good against Nebraska.

You have pinpointed the problem in Athens--D, first Willie Martinez and now Grantham. Bobo's O scores enough points to win most games but the D never fails to disappoint. Richt is loyal to a fault . He only dumped Willie Mart when the AD pressured him and the same wil be true with Grantham .

centennial
January 1st, 2014, 01:31 PM
I don't understand why GSo fans wouldn't want Fritz, the guy is a winner. I am sure he could keep more of the option by getting a OC who knows that scheme better. Sam Houston has been a solid team and is hard to beat. Fritz has proven to be a good CEO type guy kinda like Bohl.

fmrbearkat
January 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM
Y'all do not want fritz!!! Make sure to email your AD letting him know your displeasure!! Our true star coaches are our offensive and defensive coordinators!! That's who y'all really want!!

eaglessoar20021
January 1st, 2014, 01:38 PM
I and several others have no problem with Willie. http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?26922-Place-your-bets

I don't understand why GSo fans wouldn't want Fritz, the guy is a winner. I am sure he could keep more of the option by getting a OC who knows that scheme better. Sam Houston has been a solid team and is hard to beat. Fritz has proven to be a good CEO type guy kinda like Bohl.

PaladinFan
January 1st, 2014, 03:37 PM

I've said this for years, but I have never seen a team with poor tackling technique than Georgia. Particularly in the defensive backfield.

PaladinFan
January 1st, 2014, 03:39 PM
I think Lamb would be a good pick contingent on him having a good recruiting coordinator to complement him. It would never happen, though.

The GSU board would crash the internet and bring down the national power grid.

I have no doubt the Eagle nation would collapse in on itself.

I do think Lamb is probably a better recruiter than you give him credit for. He left the Paladins without much depth at certain positions (some of which was not his fault), but nine Lamb recruits were in NFL camps this summer. Another one (Dakota Dozier) is likely a mid-round pick this season.

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 03:43 PM
That world class Bobo O is not looking so good against Nebraska.

Not too good , for sure but still better than the world class Johnson looked against Ole Miss.

Hey, peace bro, enjoy life as the Ga Tech of the So Con.

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 04:03 PM
On this we agree. Willie would be A good pick for y 'all. Hire a staff with good Ga contacts. l
I and several others have no problem with Willie. http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.php?26922-Place-your-bets

Baldy
January 1st, 2014, 06:30 PM
Oh yes...the same old tired "prediction" that has been repeated and has failed for eons.

GATA
January 1st, 2014, 06:39 PM
Oh yes...the same old tired "prediction" that has been repeated and has failed for eons.

Yeah...heard the same things in the 80s, 90s, and 00s...wasn't this tired offense supposed to have stopped working by now?

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah...heard the same things in the 80s, 90s, and 00s...wasn't this tired offense supposed to have stopped working by now?

What works at one level does not always translate to success at another. You in the big leagues now, son.

Baldy
January 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM
What works at one level does not always translate to success at another. You in the big leagues now, son.
Thanks, Ace.
You can repeat the same myth as much as you want. It doesn't mean that it will come true.

Catatonic
January 1st, 2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Ace.
You can repeat the same myth as much as you want. It doesn't mean that it will come true.

Maybe Oklahoma will go back to the TO after watching your spectacular success in the FBS. xlolx

Danco
January 1st, 2014, 09:24 PM
What is the current buyout on Fritz's contract?

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 1st, 2014, 09:25 PM

The Sun Belt is the "big leagues"? What about all of those times top Sun Belt teams took losses to FCS teams? And what about our win over Florida with a slew of injuries?

Baldy
January 2nd, 2014, 07:17 AM
Maybe Oklahoma will go back to the TO after watching your spectacular success in the FBS. xlolx
Oklahoma used to run the Wishbone.
Keep trying. xlolx

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
Keep trying. xlolx

I think the point is that OU modernized their offense as the landscape of college football changed.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if the double-wing triple option game was a great offense at the FBS level, there'd be more than three teams out of 117 that run it. That's not to say you won't find elements of the offense at every level, but there's a reason so few teams commit to it. Even GSU's offense looks much different today than it did 10 years ago under the same system.

Catatonic
January 2nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
I think the point is that OU modernized their offense as the landscape of college football changed.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if the double-wing triple option game was a great offense at the FBS level, there'd be more than three teams out of 117 that run it. That's not to say you won't find elements of the offense at every level, but there's a reason so few teams commit to it. Even GSU's offense looks much different today than it did 10 years ago under the same system.

Boom. Exactly.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Boom. Exactly.

That said, it is one of my favorite offenses to watch. Were I a head coach, I would install Wofford's offense tomorrow.

Baldy
January 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM

The last 10 years Oklahoma ran the Wishbone their record was 89-24-1, and included a MNC in 1985. The last year they ran the Wishbone was in 1990.

Nebraska ran it's version of the Flex Option (what many mistakenly call the Triple Option) up until 2003.
The Cornhuskers also decided to "modernize" their program by switching to a different offense when they fired Frank Solich after finishing 10-3 in 2003.
Crunching the numbers...the 9 years after Nebraska "modernized" their program their combined record is 75-42. Very respectable.
In contrast, the 9 years before the so-called "modernization" their record was 85-21 which included 3 MNC's. Dominating.
Interesting enough, Nebraska hasn't loss less than 4 games since their great transformation. I wonder why? xconfusedx

The reason the Flex isn't run in the current college game is the same reason many don't like it here. It's not sexy enough, it's boring, not attracting NFL caliber recruits, etc.

The fact is that the system still works and generates tons of offense. The reason Georgia Tech is only treading water right now is because they don't know how to play defense. The reason Nebraska won so much with it is because their defenses were stifling. xnodx

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM
The last 10 years Oklahoma ran the Wishbone their record was 89-24-1, and included a MNC in 1985. The last year they ran the Wishbone was in 1990.

Nebraska ran it's version of the Flex Option (what many mistakenly call the Triple Option) up until 2003.
The Cornhuskers also decided to "modernize" their program by switching to a different offense when they fired Frank Solich after finishing 10-3 in 2003.
Crunching the numbers...the 9 years after Nebraska "modernized" their program their combined record is 75-42. Very respectable.
In contrast, the 9 years before the so-called "modernization" their record was 85-21 which included 3 MNC's. Dominating.
Interesting enough, Nebraska hasn't loss less than 4 games since their great transformation. I wonder why? xconfusedx

The reason the Flex isn't run in the current college game is the same reason many don't like it here. It's not sexy enough, it's boring, not attracting NFL caliber recruits, etc.

The fact is that the system still works and generates tons of offense. The reason Georgia Tech is only treading water right now is because they don't know how to play defense. The reason Nebraska won so much with it is because their defenses were stifling. xnodx
Tech also doesn't know how to recruit offensive linemen apparently. They've had tremendous athletes under PJ at the QB and receiver position, but when your OL can't protect the QB for more than 1.5 seconds, you're gonna have a bad time. The TO can be successful at the FBS level, however to truly be successful with it, you gotta have the athletes. If Saban installed the TO next season there would be growing pains for sure, but ultimately it would work with the proper coaches and athletes for the system. Fundamentally, it is one of the most sound offensive schemes in all of football. It's pretty simple really, it's all about numbers and angles.

IBleedYellow
January 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Tech also doesn't know how to recruit offensive linemen apparently. They've had tremendous athletes under PJ at the QB and receiver position, but when your OL can't protect the QB for more than 1.5 seconds, you're gonna have a bad time. The TO can be successful at the FBS level, however to truly be successful with it, you gotta have the athletes. If Saban installed the TO next season there would be growing pains for sure, but ultimately it would work with the proper coaches and athletes for the system. Fundamentally, it is one of the most sound offensive schemes in all of football. It's pretty simple really, it's all about numbers and angles.

It's sad how people think it's gimmicky... I Love watching option football. NDSU still had some option packages with Brock and company, we always go for positive yards when it's called. Always.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2014, 10:50 AM

Your point about the recruiting I think is most relevant.

While many people laugh at Oregon and their uniforms, the reality is that they are flashy, and in this day and age, 18 year old boys like flashy. You look at the history of the game, and there's plenty written about the advent of the spread offense occurring because coaches were trying to coax young athletes into a brand of football that was less physical.

The option offense (we can throw around a bunch of names and formations, but what GT and GSU run) is not sexy. The reality is there just isn't that many Erk Russels and Frank Solich's coaching football anymore. High school programs are less inclined to run the offense.

With GSU's ability to get athletes. I'd send every coach I had to Auburn (much like App did with WVU). That's the next level in college offense, and I think it would mesh perfectly with the Eagles' desire to stay true to their option roots, while modernizing in a way that will make them not only better, but also more relevant in recruiting.

walliver
January 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Keep trying. xlolx

Does Triple Option have a special meaning at GSU. The term TO is fairly generic. In fact, in some schemes, the QB had the option to keep the ball, pitch the ball or pass the ball.

In practice, the current double wing T option is not the different from the wishbone. In the base option play, the main differences are that the blocking halfback lines up outside the tackle, and the "running" halfback goes in motion, but is just about the same spot at the snap of the ball he would have been in the the wishbone or flexbone. I first watched the TO in 1969 (my father took me to a Wofford game when I was 9), and have been a fan of the offense since that time. The NCAA has made a number of rules changes to benefit passing teams, and the TO has faded in popularity.

The main problem facing the option in the 21st century is finding the right players. Most high schools have move to the spread option. It's chic, the kids see it on TV, and you only really need one skilled player (the QB) to make it work. There just aren't that many teams in high school playing the triple option.

Recruiting for the TO at GSU will be interesting. GSU may snare a recruit or two from Army, Navy or GT, but at least in the offense backfield, will be recruiting basically the same players in FBS that have been recruited at FCS level. Defense is a different issue, and GSU's real success in FBS will be determined by its defensive play. As Baylor found out last night, scoring 42 points in a game doesn't guarantee a win.

clenz
January 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
It's sad how people think it's gimmicky... I Love watching option football. NDSU still had some option packages with Brock and company, we always go for positive yards when it's called. Always.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's gimmicky. I love option football. I grew up in a school that, until this past season, ran a power I triple option. They changed because they couldn't keep up with the points that a spread option, and passing teams could anymore. They could during the early years when it was new and not as refined at the hs level but as it progressed it became harder to put enough points on the board running 95 percent of the time. They are more 5 years, or so, behind the curve in developing players for the new pistol/gun sets at qbabd wr.

I think, to be successful in the cfb game, you need to have some form of option ground game.

The option out of a pistol/gun is a great way for gsu to go...see Oregon under Dennis Dixon and the guy that got kicked off the team. They weren't a great passing team, but they did it enough, and well enough, to keep the ground game strong.

I, nor anyone (I don't believe), am not saying GSU should go June Jones or Alabama pro style. I believe that wing /flex to teams are putting a ceiling on themselves that is lower than it should/could be.

I asked this question in another thread and only got flamed by gsu fans and my a single answer - would you rather hire a wing to coach and struggle OR hire a "modern" offense coach and be successful. I didn't say they would struggle or win...I asked which they would rather have. Judging from the flames is replies it is clear they would rather struggle and run the wing than win with another offense

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
I don't think it's gimmicky. I love option football. I grew up in a school that, until this past season, ran a power I triple option. They changed because they couldn't keep up with the points that a spread option, and passing teams could anymore. They could during the early years when it was new and not as refined at the hs level but as it progressed it became harder to put enough points on the board running 95 percent of the time. They are more 5 years, or so, behind the curve in developing players for the new pistol/gun sets at qbabd wr.

I think, to be successful in the cfb game, you need to have some form of option ground game.

The option out of a pistol/gun is a great way for gsu to go...see Oregon under Dennis Dixon and the guy that got kicked off the team. They weren't a great passing team, but they did it enough, and well enough, to keep the ground game strong.

I, nor anyone (I don't believe), am not saying GSU should go June Jones or Alabama pro style. I believe that wing /flex to teams are putting a ceiling on themselves that is lower than it should/could be.

I asked this question in another thread and only got flamed by gsu fans and my a single answer - would you rather hire a wing to coach and struggle OR hire a "modern" offense coach and be successful. I didn't say they would struggle or win...I asked which they would rather have. Judging from the flames is replies it is clear they would rather struggle and run the wing than win with another offense

I have long lamented how many things get called "gimmicky" in college football. The option is not gimmicky. It's just a different way of doing something.

As much as I like the option, I appreciate that Furman has gone back to its prostyle roots. When there is personnel and depth, that's a tough offense to stop.

Catatonic
January 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Does Triple Option have a special meaning at GSU. The term TO is fairly generic. In fact, in some schemes, the QB had the option to keep the ball, pitch the ball or pass the ball.

In practice, the current double wing T option is not the different from the wishbone. In the base option play, the main differences are that the blocking halfback lines up outside the tackle, and the "running" halfback goes in motion, but is just about the same spot at the snap of the ball he would have been in the the wishbone or flexbone. I first watched the TO in 1969 (my father took me to a Wofford game when I was 9), and have been a fan of the offense since that time. The NCAA has made a number of rules changes to benefit passing teams, and the TO has faded in popularity.

The main problem facing the option in the 21st century is finding the right players. Most high schools have move to the spread option. It's chic, the kids see it on TV, and you only really need one skilled player (the QB) to make it work. There just aren't that many teams in high school playing the triple option.

Recruiting for the TO at GSU will be interesting. GSU may snare a recruit or two from Army, Navy or GT, but at least in the offense backfield, will be recruiting basically the same players in FBS that have been recruited at FCS level. Defense is a different issue, and GSU's real success in FBS will be determined by its defensive play. As Baylor found out last night, scoring 42 points in a game doesn't guarantee a win.
I looked at the post as either lack of awareness that the wishbone is a triple option offense or pride in the fact that THEIR TO was superior to all other forms of the scheme.

I agree with most everything you said about recruiting and the need for D. Hopefully they aren't wed to Erk's wide tackle 6 since it is part of their identity.

centennial
January 2nd, 2014, 02:48 PM
There is nothing wrong with evolving, I know GSU fans want to give the TO a real chance before they switch over. That sentiment is understandable, GSU will still need the correct coaches and OC to make sure that can happen. The big question is if GSU is willing to sacrifice a good fit and a candidate to keep the TO or can they find someone better than Fritz that runs the TO. In an ideal world they could just steal Navy HC and OC.

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
There is nothing wrong with evolving, I know GSU fans want to give the TO a real chance before they switch over. That sentiment is understandable, GSU will still need the correct coaches and OC to make sure that can happen. The big question is if GSU is willing to sacrifice a good fit and a candidate to keep the TO or can they find someone better than Fritz that runs the TO. In an ideal world they could just steal Navy HC and OC.
The majority of the rational fans share this sentiment. Most of us realize that in time we will have to go away from the flexbone way of running the TO as we have been and evolve into more of an Auburn/Oregon type offense if we want to keep the option at all. But most of us don't feel that this is the time to be making all of those changes. With 4 years of players recruited to run the flexbone, it's not the appropriate time for a switch right now, IMO.

clenz
January 2nd, 2014, 03:41 PM
The majority of the rational fans share this sentiment. Most of us realize that in time we will have to go away from the flexbone way of running the TO as we have been and evolve into more of an Auburn/Oregon type offense if we want to keep the option at all. But most of us don't feel that this is the time to be making all of those changes. With 4 years of players recruited to run the flexbone, it's not the appropriate time for a switch right now, IMO.

With a coaching change its the prefect time. Don't force a coach to recruit to a style he doesn't want to play.....or continue to recruit to a style you admit is likely to change.

I watched this happen with Michigan the last 3 years.

They struggled this year but that's because Hoke didn't continue to recruit Rich Rod players, he went to his system. He ended up playing a **** ton of underclassmen this year, and it showed. However, Michigan has had 3 straight top 5 recruiting classes, with another in the works.

Had he tried to recruit spread option players he'd be doing his future, and the programs future,a HUGE, disservice.

Now to move from a flex option to a mute spread style isn't as big if a change as spread option to pro style. You'd need a deeper wr core, more balanced tight ends rather than the ol wearing a te number most flex teams use, and a qb.who can read coverage. He doesn't have to be a great thrower.

The transition likely would not be as hard as you'd think

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 2nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
With a coaching change its the prefect time. Don't force a coach to recruit to a style he doesn't want to play.....or continue to recruit to a style you admit is likely to change.

I watched this happen with Michigan the last 3 years.

They struggled this year but that's because Hoke didn't continue to recruit Rich Rod players, he went to his system. He ended up playing a **** ton of underclassmen this year, and it showed. However, Michigan has had 3 straight top 5 recruiting classes, with another in the works.

Had he tried to recruit spread option players he'd be doing his future, and the programs future,a HUGE, disservice.

Now to move from a flex option to a mute spread style isn't as big if a change as spread option to pro style. You'd need a deeper wr core, more balanced tight ends rather than the ol wearing a te number most flex teams use, and a qb.who can read coverage. He doesn't have to be a great thrower.

The transition likely would not be as hard as you'd think

Comparing Georgia Southern and Michigan makes me scratch my head. I wish we had the kind of money to hire a coach to bring us into the transition. Hell if we could get someone of the Hoke or Rich Rod caliber I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

clenz
January 2nd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Comparing Georgia Southern and Michigan makes me scratch my head. I wish we had the kind of money to hire a coach to bring us into the transition. Hell if we could get someone of the Hoke or Rich Rod caliber I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

I'm not comparing programs...I'm comparing the best time to change offensive sets, if it's going to happen.

My point is valid

seantaylor
January 3rd, 2014, 03:34 AM
Georgia Tech hasn't had terrific athletes at QB. Just the opposite. None would have started for any of GSUs NC teams. Most wouldn't under any of our teams outside of Hatchers and VG. I know Jaybo started for 2 years, but he would have never started on any other GSU option teams under Erk, PJ, or Sewak

seantaylor
January 3rd, 2014, 03:41 AM

This is so false. We don't have to get rid of the flexbone at the next level at all. Did you not see what we did to Florida? Did you also notice we almost entirely used none of that garbage shotgun we used all year? I just find it humorous. Copy Auburn and Oregon. Majority of people just regurgitate everything they hear on ESPN

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 3rd, 2014, 06:41 AM
The bottom line comes down to recruiting. While we are second tier FBS sure it's fine, but if we ever get to the level where we are consistently trying to be a BCS buster ala UCF, Northern Illinois we are not going to be able to get recruits for the flex TO to compete with the athletes of the Floridas of the NCAA. The top QBs in the country don't want to get hit on every play. That isn't to say the flex CAN'T be successful, but in the long term if we want to continually compete with the the upper tier of the FBS we are going to have to secure better recruits while competing with UGA, Auburn etc. we will need to make changes. Not an overhaul, but a modernization. I respect your feelings about the shotgun, but you can't tell me it doesn't work. It didn't work well for us this year, IMO, because our coaching staff couldn't implement it properly.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2014, 08:07 AM
The bottom line comes down to recruiting. While we are second tier FBS sure it's fine, but if we ever get to the level where we are consistently trying to be a BCS buster ala UCF, Northern Illinois we are not going to be able to get recruits for the flex TO to compete with the athletes of the Floridas of the NCAA. The top QBs in the country don't want to get hit on every play. That isn't to say the flex CAN'T be successful, but in the long term if we want to continually compete with the the upper tier of the FBS we are going to have to secure better recruits while competing with UGA, Auburn etc. we will need to make changes. Not an overhaul, but a modernization. I respect your feelings about the shotgun, but you can't tell me it doesn't work. It didn't work well for us this year, IMO, because our coaching staff couldn't implement it properly.

As someone else noted, GSU's success if they stay with the flex will be determined by their defense, not their offense.

Your points about recruiting are correct, in my opinion. What top receiver wants to come to Statesboro to be a decoy/blocker in an offense that attempts 7 passes a game? What top QB wants to get hit every play and rarely throw? What top running back wants to share their touches with four other players?

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 3rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
As someone else noted, GSU's success if they stay with the flex will be determined by their defense, not their offense.

Your points about recruiting are correct, in my opinion. What top receiver wants to come to Statesboro to be a decoy/blocker in an offense that attempts 7 passes a game? What top QB wants to get hit every play and rarely throw? What top running back wants to share their touches with four other players?
Exactly. I think Brent Pry (Vandy DC) is a great hire for the defensive reasons, however in all likelihood he'll have to bring in a new OC as we learned Brent Davis has an offer at Army if he isn't hired as our HC. Then the question comes up of who we hire as an OC and what scheme they will implement. As much as I LOVE the 3O from the flex, I'd rather win with a different (run first) offense than keep the flex with a subpar coach. As big of a part of our identity as it is, winning is what people will notice on a national level, not our yellow school buses and our unconventional offense.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
Georgia Tech hasn't had terrific athletes at QB. Just the opposite. None would have started for any of GSUs NC teams. Most wouldn't under any of our teams outside of Hatchers and VG. I know Jaybo started for 2 years, but he would have never started on any other GSU option teams under Erk, PJ, or Sewak

You constantly beat the drum against Jaybo Shaw. I don't know the kid or particularly care what he did at GSU, but the Eagles played in back to back semifinals with him at QB. He graduates, they get an "athlete" at QB and finish 4-4 in the SoCon. You may not like what the offense looked like, but he won a ton of games for the Eagles.

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 3rd, 2014, 08:15 AM
You constantly beat the drum against Jaybo Shaw. I don't know the kid or particularly care what he did at GSU, but the Eagles played in back to back semifinals with him at QB. He graduates, they get an "athlete" at QB and finish 4-4 in the SoCon. You may not like what the offense looked like, but he won a ton of games for the Eagles.
Incorrect. McKinnon's first year as the starter we went to another semi. This season we flip flopped QB's (primarily due to injury) and also mixed in the shotgun much more, along with poor defense. That was the recipe that lead to the 4-4 record. I'm fine with mixing in shotgun but we did a crap job of implementation.

Edit: But overall, I agree with what you're saying about Jaybo. He was an incredible asset for us to have here his 2 seasons.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2014, 08:17 AM
Exactly. I think Brent Pry (Vandy DC) is a great hire for the defensive reasons, however in all likelihood he'll have to bring in a new OC as we learned Brent Davis has an offer at Army if he isn't hired as our HC. Then the question comes up of who we hire as an OC and what scheme they will implement. As much as I LOVE the 3O from the flex, I'd rather win with a different (run first) offense than keep the flex with a subpar coach. As big of a part of our identity as it is, winning is what people will notice on a national level, not our yellow school buses and our unconventional offense.

I think that is the mental leap your fan base has to get over. Don't jettison traditions. Keep the uniforms, and the cheers. Still, there are not many college programs (any?) that have committed to one base offense for 30 years.

GSU needs to go after a coach, not a system. You saw how quickly making the wrong hire (even at the FCS level) could destroy a program. The mistakes at the next level are just that much more amplified.

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
I think that is the mental leap your fan base has to get over. Don't jettison traditions. Keep the uniforms, and the cheers. Still, there are not many college programs (any?) that have committed to one base offense for 30 years.

GSU needs to go after a coach, not a system. You saw how quickly making the wrong hire (even at the FCS level) could destroy a program. The mistakes at the next level are just that much more amplified.

You're absolutely correct. Over on GSUFANS.com several of our posters are beginning to see the going after a coach not a system way of thinking, but there's always going to be someone unhappy. By the way, I'm not happy about agreeing with purple. And I still hate it:D

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
You're absolutely correct. Over on GSUFANS.com several of our posters are beginning to see the going after a coach not a system way of thinking, but there's always going to be someone unhappy. By the way, I'm not happy about agreeing with purple. And I still hate it:D

When Furman is hoisting the SoCon Championship trophy again next season, and GSU is 1-11 with a win over Savannah State, know that I'll be thinking about you. ;)

Baldy
January 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Well, as GATA said, that "athlete" did win the SoCon in 2012 and made it to the semis, but he was injured and we started a Rs-Fr at QB for half the games and against UF this season.

I love Jaybo and he did an outstanding job here, but he would never have started ahead of Ham, Gross, Hill, Revere, Foster, Williams, McKinnon, etc.

But back on topic, I'd say there is about a 50/50 chance we hire Fritz at the moment.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM

You're kidding, right? Who is easier to recruit, a good flexbone QB like Ellison or Greg Hill or a QB for a pro-style or spread offense that practically every FBS program is running? Is it easier to recruit a good slotback or a typical running back? If anything the offense gives you an advantage in recruiting.

clenz
January 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
You're kidding, right? Who is easier to recruit, a good flexbone QB like Ellison or Greg Hill or a QB for a pro-style or spread offense that practically every FBS program is running? Is it easier to recruit a good slotback or a typical running back? If anything the offense gives you an advantage in recruiting.

Ah...that's why GT is landing all this 4 and 5 star kids...

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM

The TO is the reason Tech can't recruit on defense?

And it's not like we're going to be picking up many 4 and 5-star guys in the SBC, either.

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 3rd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Advantage in the terms of not competing with the UGA's of the world in recruiting sure, but not an advantage in getting better athletes at every position. There aren't as many kids coming out of high school that say "man I sure do want to play for a TO offense and get creamed on every play as a QB or slotback." It's just the reality. And yes we have names like Greg Hill, Tracy Ham, Jayson Foster that were phenomenal athletes here, but many of our athletes were undersized and that is why they didn't have the opportunity to play at the larger schools, and largely have not been successful in the NFL. The landscape of college football recruiting has changed much since the days of Greg Hill as well. Also, I'm not as sold as you are on Ellison apparently to place him in that company...yet.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 3rd, 2014, 01:56 PM
Advantage in the terms of not competing with the UGA's of the world in recruiting sure, but not an advantage in getting better athletes at every position. There aren't as many kids coming out of high school that say "man I sure do want to play for a TO offense and get creamed on every play as a QB or slotback." It's just the reality. And yes we have names like Greg Hill, Tracy Ham, Jayson Foster that were phenomenal athletes here, but many of our athletes were undersized and that is why they didn't have the opportunity to play at the larger schools, and largely have not been successful in the NFL. The landscape of college football recruiting has changed much since the days of Greg Hill as well. Also, I'm not as sold as you are on Ellison apparently to place him in that company...yet.

Won't be any different as a Sun Belt team. We'll still be dealing with undersized guys. The difference is that we can find Jayson Fosters and Jerick McKinnons more easily than we can find guys like Northern Illinois' QB.

GATA_OneMoreTime
January 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
Won't be any different as a Sun Belt team. We'll still be dealing with undersized guys. The difference is that we can find Jayson Fosters and Jerick McKinnons more easily than we can find guys like Northern Illinois' QB.
So you're saying the Sun Belt is no different than the Socon?

blueballs
January 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM

Check out the academic requirements to get into Tech... and they don't grant athletic exceptions either.

Catatonic
January 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
Check out the academic requirements to get into Tech... and they don't grant athletic exceptions either.

I call BS. Unless there have been recent changes, GA Tech and most every other school with high academic standards grants athletic exceptions.

"The review identified at least 27 schools where athletes were at least 10 times more likely to benefit from special admission programs than students in the general population.

That group includes 2009 Bowl Championship Series teams Oregon (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2483), Georgia Tech (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=59) and Alabama (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=333), which is playing Texas (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=251) for the national title Jan. 7.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4781264

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM

It's like the SoCon, but you have longer road trips. :)

blueballs
January 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM
I call BS. Unless there have been recent changes, GA Tech and most every other school with high academic standards grants athletic exceptions.

"The review identified at least 27 schools where athletes were at least 10 times more likely to benefit from special admission programs than students in the general population.

That group includes 2009 Bowl Championship Series teams Oregon (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2483), Georgia Tech (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=59) and Alabama (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=333), which is playing Texas (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=251) for the national title Jan. 7.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4781264

That article is 4 years old, which means very few if any players in the program then are there now. Therefore, I call your BS and raise you a horse****.

Again, check the entrance requirements at GT for athletes NOW and get back to me.

Tribal
January 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM

True. IMO, they need to look at an OC at GT or Navy. If they can't pull from one of those programs, go to USAF or maybe GSU's current OC...maybe someone who has coached for Paul Johnson.

Catatonic
January 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
That article is 4 years old, which means very few if any players in the program then are there now. Therefore, I call your BS and raise you a horse****.

Again, check the entrance requirements at GT for athletes NOW and get back to me.

Are you seriously suggesting that while Ga Tech was formerly slack in its admission standards the admissions office has had an epiphany and now only admits students who fit the academic profile of the institution? All I can say is you are truly naive if you think Ga Tech and 95 per cent of the other academically elite institutions in the country hold football players to the same admission standards as regular students.

Here is a more recent article that aggregates data from schools in the ACC, including Ga Tech. The article does mention the disparity between student athletes and regular students should lessen beginning in 2016 when new NCAA standards go into effect. Until the, it is business as usual. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-12-22/sports/bs-sp-acc-sports-special-admits-20121222_1_athletes-graduation-success-rate-college-courses

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 3rd, 2014, 10:43 PM

Not in any way that matters with respect to what I said.

PaladinFan
January 4th, 2014, 05:23 AM
True. IMO, they need to look at an OC at GT or Navy. If they can't pull from one of those programs, go to USAF or maybe GSU's current OC...maybe someone who has coached for Paul Johnson.

The Citadel may be beating them to the punch on a couple of the candidates. They have a short list already, which includes the Lenior Rhyne HC, and two assistants from Navy and AFA. The latter is a former Furman assistant who went to AFA as offensive coordinator, Clay Hendrix.

PaladinFan
January 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Rumor is the Bulldogs have hired the coach from Lenior Rhyne.

I don't know much about LR football, but am of the impression they are also an option team. The season stats seem to indicate that as well (over 5,500 rushing yards to 800 passing yards).

seantaylor
January 5th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Citadel beating us to the punch? They have none of our candidates

Danco
January 12th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear Fritz is leaving SHSU. He brought a lot of class to that program and the rest of the conference.