PDA

View Full Version : I-AA's weakest position

SeattleGriz
October 15th, 2006, 12:01 AM
What position, either offense or defense would people consider to be the weakest postion in I-AA football? By weakest, I mean, the position that is hard to recruit a good player for?

Edit: Changed title to make more sense.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I think you will find fewer really good defensive tackles than probably any other position in I-AA. You don't find as many teams with strong DTs as you do good players at other positions and it is hard to build depth at that position. Generally, if you have a really good DT, you have the makings of a strong defense. It is always harder to decide on DTs for our All-American teams than it is any other position in I-AA. You have a lot of DTs who are undersized at this level and it is one of the most obvious areas of weakness when you see I-A teams line up with I-AA squads.

I Bleed Purple
October 15th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I'd say CB. The speed guys are in I-A and the solid ones are playing WR, not CB.

Dane96
October 15th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I second the DT position....very hard to fill, even at the IA level.

Franks Tanks
October 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Possibly Kicker....most I-AA ones are not very good

Tribe4SF
October 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I'm with Mr. C on this. DT without question.

Saluki_man
October 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'm going to have to say CB. An above average defensive line can hide this position very well with a pass rush, but when the pass rush is just a second or two off the corners get burned way too often. This position also seems to be the most undersized position on the field.

Purple Knight
October 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I agree with CB. We can find the CB that plays the run well. but running side-by-side with a WR, they lose usually. We are so paranoid about getting beat deep, we give the WR at least a 10 yard cushion and have all DBs play zone with eyes on the QB.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I think you will find fewer really good defensive tackles than probably any other position in I-AA. You don't find as many teams with strong DTs as you do good players at other positions and it is hard to build depth at that position. Generally, if you have a really good DT, you have the makings of a strong defense. It is always harder to decide on DTs for our All-American teams than it is any other position in I-AA. You have a lot of DTs who are undersized at this level and it is one of the most obvious areas of weakness when you see I-A teams line up with I-AA squads.

DT...look at the positions of most of the Buchanen award nominees. It tends to inflate the numbers of a lot of IAA quarterbacks

CB would be a second.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Well, for our SWAC brothers, its OL for some reason, but I'll go with DT for the rest

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Possibly Kicker....most I-AA ones are not very good

I disagree. We've had quite a few good kickers at UNI and I've seen quite a few good ones for our opponents over the last 17 years.

AggieFinn
October 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I disagree. We've had quite a few good kickers at UNI and I've seen quite a few good ones for our opponents over the last 17 years.

Second that notion. A kicker is good at any level if he's worked at it. The ones that work the hardest are probably in I-A because of the exposure, but a good kicker will shine at any level if has a decent snap/holder, and an offense that can get into range.

Other than that, I'd say DT, CB, maybe Tight End.

FUwolfpacker
October 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I'll go with the majority of people in this thread and say DT and CB.

poly51
October 15th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I think the biggest weakness is size in the speed and quickness positions. I-AA tends to have smaller running backs, defensive line, linebackers and cornerbacks. Conditioning can overcome some of this but it is pretty tough on the corners. A very good big man can beat an equally good small man.

SeattleGriz
October 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I never really noticed the DT position, but continually notice how WR are usually quite a bit taller that CB's at the I-AA level.

Overall, it appears it is the defensive side which plays catch up, until they reach I-A, or Pro.

This was one of the reasons I felt the option worked at the I-AA level and not above. The defense is finally as good as the offense in I-A and Pro.

slostang
October 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
DT or CB. It seems like at both positions it becomes a choice at the I-AA level of speed with no size or size that lacks speeds. Of course there are always exceptions to this. They become I-AA All-Americans.

aust42
October 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM
At the 1AA level it's the DT without question. At least at Delaware that has always been the case. It's very hard to find those big boys with speed, size and the tenacity you need at that position. There just aren't that many to go around and the 1A's obviously get 1st dibs.

Cornerback is probably as tough a position to recruit at any level. For one thing, it's just a difficult position to play. In a lot of cases a good cornerback at the college level may not have even played cornerback in high school. They were running backs or linebackers.

blukeys
October 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I'm with Mr. C on this. DT without question.

ditto here. Actually any of the D-Line positions. Skill players are the easiest to come by. A lot of hidden gems just don't get recruited and fall into I-AA. David Ball, Omar Cuff etc.

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM
DT..&..CB........................:twocents:....AWK!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Surprised by all of the talk about cornerbacks. I can name tons of good CBs in I-AA. This year in particular is a very good year for CBs. How many good defensive tackles can you name?

GreatAppSt
October 15th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Did any say DT's yet?

October 16th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Did any say DT's yet?Chris White, Cal Poly
Mark Christiani, EKU

how many do you want?

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Chris White, Cal Poly
Mark Christiani, EKU

how many do you want?
Cristiani is a DE. White is great and there are a handful of others (Tory Collins Kevin Lockhart, Kendall Langford), but there is less depth at this position than any other in I-AA.

October 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Cristiani is a DE...Funny I-AA.org named him preseason AA at DT and EKU lists him as
70 Mark Cristiani DT 5'11" 272 Sr. Venice, Fla./Venice.
http://ekusports.com/roster.asp?sportid=374

Mr. C
October 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Funny I-AA.org named him preseason AA at DT and EKU lists him as
70 Mark Cristiani DT 5'11" 272 Sr. Venice, Fla./Venice.
http://ekusports.com/roster.asp?sportid=374
He was playing DE when EKU played Tennessee Tech a few weeks back. Maybe he is one of those guys who moves around a lot.