PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Week 7 How They Fared

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 11:39 PM
AGS Poll Week 7
How They Fared

1. New Hampshire (5-1) lost 23-42 vs. #12 James Madison (5-1)
2. Appalachian St (6-1) won 14-7 vs. Wofford (2-4)
3. Montana (5-1) won 24-21 vs. Northern Arizona (2-4)
4. Illinois St (5-1) won 37-10 vs. Southern Illinois (5-1)
5. Cal Poly (5-1) Idle
6. Youngstown St (6-1) won 35-28 at Western Illinois (3-4)
7. North Dakota St (6-0) won 45-0 vs. Miss. Valley St (3-4)
8. Massachusetts (5-1) won 35-0 at #21 Towson (4-2)
9. Southern Illinois (5-1) lost 10-37 at #4 Illinois St (5-1)
10. Richmond (5-1) won 31-6 at Rhode Island (2-4)
11. Furman (5-2) won 23-17 vs. Citadel (1-5)
12. James Madison (5-1) won 42-23 at #1 New Hampshire (5-1)
13. Hampton (7-0) won 42-13 vs. Norfolk St (3-3)
14. Northern Iowa (4-2) won 34-14 at Indiana St (0-7)
15. Harvard (5-0) won 24-7 vs. Lafayette (2-4)
16. Eastern Illinois (4-3) won 28-21 at Eastern Kentucky (2-5)
17. Tenn. Martin (5-1) Idle
18. Princeton (5-0) won 17-3 vs. Brown (1-4)
19. UC Davis (3-3) won 33-13 vs. Central Arkansas (4-3)
20. San Diego (6-0) won 68-7 vs. Valparaiso (2-5)
21. Towson (4-2) lost 0-35 vs. #8 Massachusetts (5-1)
22. Portland St (4-3) won 34-13 vs. Idaho St (2-4)
23. Maine (4-2) won 20-7 vs. Villanova (2-4)
24. Central Conn. St. (5-2) lost 17-23 at Robert Morris (5-2)
25. Alabama A&M (5-1) won 21-14 vs. Stillman (DII, 3-4)

26. Coastal Carolina (5-2) won 31-27 at VMI (1-6)
27. Sam Houston St (4-2) won 37-7 vs. Nicholls St (2-4)
28. Jacksonville St. (3-3) lost 3-35 at Mississippi St (I-A, 2-5)
29. Charleston Southern (6-0) won 47-0 vs. Edward Waters (NAIA, 0-7)
30. McNeese St (2-4) lost 17-27 vs. Texas St (2-4)
31. Montana St (4-3) won 21-18 at Sacramento St (2-4)
32. Jackson St (5-1) won 31-28 vs. Southern (3-4)
33. Western Illinois (3-4) lost 28-35 vs. #6 Youngstown St (6-1)
34. Western Kentucky (3-3) won 17-14 at Missouri St (1-6)
35. Penn (4-1) won 16-0 vs. Columbia (3-2)

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 11:42 PM
As always, great job!

umassfan
October 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
3 teams lost in the top 25... 2 were to other ranked teams... not too many upsets this year.

Proud Griz Man
October 15th, 2006, 12:16 AM
JMU new number one? or Illinois St ????:eek:

birdsflyhigh
October 15th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Know that both Appy St. and Montana got victories today, but those wins were not by impressive margins, and they got them versus so-so teams.
Does anything one think that the ISU Redbirds absolute dismantling over #9 (and previously undefeated) SIU team might be enough to leapfrog the Birds over them? Just throwing it out there.

I believed in ISU's high ranking before today. After the Birds dominated a very good SIU Saluki team on both sides of the ball, I'm convinced that they could knock down ANY opponent in front of them right now.

But then again, WIU on the road looms next week. Five long years since the Redbirds have knocked off the Leathernecks. ISU gets the W over WIU, then the sky's the limit, and the Birds are really going to be flying high. Man, is it next Saturday yet?? :D

kirkblitz
October 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM
so coastal moves up to number 23...

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2006, 02:13 AM

JMU goes from 12 to 1?????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 15th, 2006, 09:41 AM
That's a good one.......I only want JMU to be number one at the end of the season.....but it was a great win at UNH.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM
so coastal moves up to number 23...

Coastal moves down in my book

th0m
October 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM

It would be kind of weird for us to be ranked higher than ASU. I do think we should break the top 10, trumping Furman and possibly SIU. It's a dilemma where to put UNH.

rokamortis
October 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Coastal moves down in my book

I'm not saying we played great - but we won. Do you plan to move App State down as well for barely beating Wofford and getting shut out offensively for 3 quarters - at The Rock?

Wofford and VMI have had pretty difficult schedules but aren't terrible teams.

Do you plan to move Furman down as well for nearly giving the game away to The Citadel?

DaGriz
October 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Know that both Appy St. and Montana got victories today, but those wins were not by impressive margins, and they got them versus so-so teams.
Does anything one think that the ISU Redbirds absolute dismantling over #9 (and previously undefeated) SIU team might be enough to leapfrog the Birds over them? Just throwing it out there.

In my opinion, that's quite a jump when the two teams in front of you won. The problem with I-AA is you don't have the TV coverage like I-A where you can actually watch the games, you just get the scores and message board material to evaluate the teams. We played like crap and still held one of the Big Sky's top ranked passers to 93 passing yards. Is ISU blowing teams out on a weekly basis or was this a one time thing? I haven't followed them close enough to know. Great win and congrats ISU. They can have the #1 spot in the regular season as far as I'm concerned, watch how easy it is to blow teams out when you have that target on your back each week. We just want it when the playoffs start. :smiley_wi

th0m
October 15th, 2006, 10:14 AM
We just want it when the playoffs start. :smiley_wi

Fine, you take it when the playoffs start, we'll take it when the playoffs end! xlolx

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I'm not saying we played great - but we won. Do you plan to move App State down as well for barely beating Wofford and getting shut out offensively for 3 quarters - at The Rock?

Wofford and VMI have had pretty difficult schedules but aren't terrible teams.

Do you plan to move Furman down as well for nearly giving the game away to The Citadel?

1)Wofford is not VMI. Wofford is a middle of the pack team in arguable(before this year) one of the toughest conferences in the country. VMI has 1 win, over PL Davidson. Wofford has beaten SCSU, almost beat USC, and I believe if I'm not mistaken, almost took you down too b/c you couldn't play that thing called defense.
2)Furman will move down in my poll. This is more a product of JMU moving up than Furman moving down

rokamortis
October 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM
1)Wofford is not VMI. Wofford is a middle of the pack team in arguable(before this year) one of the toughest conferences in the country. VMI has 1 win, over PL Davidson. Wofford has beaten SCSU, almost beat USC, and I believe if I'm not mistaken, almost took you down too b/c you couldn't play that thing called defense.
2)Furman will move down in my poll. This is more a product of JMU moving up than Furman moving down

Wofford has many close losses but are still 2-4. The beat SC State which doesn't appear to be all that great so far. Are you telling me that you expected Wofford to shut ASU out for 3 quarters at THE ROCK? You expected Wofford to keep it that close on your home field? That deserves moving up in the polls? I'm just trying to see where you are coming from. Appears you may have yellow blinders on.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Rok keep ASU at #2 who cares, it is week 7 everything will work itself out, we have a couple tough games coming up. Hope to get you guys up to Boone on Thanksgiving. We typically have turkey but I'll settle for Beach Chicken:smiley_wi.

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks AppGuy!:nod:

rokamortis
October 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Rok keep ASU at #2 who cares, it is week 7 everything will work itself out, we have a couple tough games coming up. Hope to get you guys up to Boone on Thanksgiving. We typically have turkey but I'll settle for Beach Chicken:smiley_wi.

We have a lot of work to do before even thinking about that Saint - but I would like to make the trip back up there. It can't get much worse than 30-3.

My point isn't about ASU, but rather how one person handles the poll. I would have said the same thing regardless of who posted it.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Wofford has many close losses but are still 2-4. The beat SC State which doesn't appear to be all that great so far. Are you telling me that you expected Wofford to shut ASU out for 3 quarters at THE ROCK? You expected Wofford to keep it that close on your home field? That deserves moving up in the polls? I'm just trying to see where you are coming from. Appears you may have yellow blinders on.

Its called looking at the body of work

-We have 1 loss, to NC State
-Whooped JMU, who, if you didn't notice, just whipped the #1 team in the country
-Scored 40+ points in 4 straight games before this week
-Totally shut down an offense that you allowed to score 38 points

So, to me, the better question is, why should we not be #1? We are the defending National Champions and have won 15 straight I-AA games!

rokamortis
October 15th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Its called looking at the body of work

-We have 1 loss, to NC State
-Whooped JMU, who, if you didn't notice, just whipped the #1 team in the country
-Scored 40+ points in 4 straight games before this week
-Totally shut down an offense that you allowed to score 38 points

So, to me, the better question is, why should we not be #1? We are the defending National Champions and have won 15 straight I-AA games!

Again, I am not saying anything about App State. I think they would be a fine #1. My point is how you handle close wins to teams that the team in question should have beaten soundly. You do one thing for one team, but the opposite for another team in a similar situation.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Again, I am not saying anything about App State. I think they would be a fine #1. My point is how you handle close wins to teams that the team in question should have beaten soundly. You do one thing for one team, but the opposite for another team in a similar situation.

like I said before, Wofford is not VMI

its a moot point, but what is not a moot point is that we never trailed in that game, you however, trailed a 1-5 football team until almost midway into the 3rd quarter and then again in the 4th. Furman never trailed either and have a 4 score lead at the half.

Death Dealer
October 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM
we never trailed in that game, you however, trailed a 1-5 football team until almost midway into the 3rd quarter and then again in the 4th. Furman never trailed either and have a 4 score lead at the half.

So why drop in your pole? Again, you say it's based on a body of work, and that JMU should jump us? If that's true then you definitely get jumped by ISU. Which I think is ridiculous! You guys are definitely the new #1, and we definitely deserve to move up....we played a great game against our biggest and oldest rival. AppGuy don't let your obvious bias against us cloud your judgement.

th0m
October 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM
So why drop in your pole? Again, you say it's based on a body of work, and that JMU should jump us? If that's true then you definitely get jumped by ISU. Which I think is ridiculous! You guys are definitely the new #1, and we definitely deserve to move up....we played a great game against our biggest and oldest rival. AppGuy don't let your obvious bias against us cloud your judgement.

There's not a lot of wiggle room in the top 10. Would you rank Furman ahead of JMU? And where would you put UNH?

This is a very hard poll to figure out...

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 01:42 PM

I had Furman just above JMU in my poll. JMU's win propels them over Furman. I'm sorry, I'm not of the idealogy that just b/c you win, you move up. If a team behind you plays better, which in this case they did, I have no problem dropping you. Does San Diego deserve to move up b/c they won 68-7, hell no. They did what I expected them to do. If UNH had not lost, my boys would be #2 again. In my book, ASU is somewhat a #1 by default. Like I said before, until they lose a I-AA game, I don't see how you can drop them. That being said, if they struggle again and a team liek YSU runs the Gateway, then there may be some switch up, I'm not opposed to dropping my boys.

rokamortis
October 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM
like I said before, Wofford is not VMI

its a moot point, but what is not a moot point is that we never trailed in that game, you however, trailed a 1-5 football team until almost midway into the 3rd quarter and then again in the 4th. Furman never trailed either and have a 4 score lead at the half.

We could go back and forth all day long. Really, all I wanted was a little more insight as to your reasoning. It was clear from your first response that you had your yellow-tinted glasses on and that's all I wanted to know.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
We could go back and forth all day long. Really, all I wanted was a little more insight as to your reasoning. It was clear from your first response that you had your yellow-tinted glasses on and that's all I wanted to know.

Entitled to your opinion

Death Dealer
October 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I had Furman just above JMU in my poll. JMU's win propels them over Furman. I'm sorry, I'm not of the idealogy that just b/c you win, you move up. If a team behind you plays better, which in this case they did, I have no problem dropping you. Does San Diego deserve to move up b/c they won 68-7, hell no. They did what I expected them to do. If UNH had not lost, my boys would be #2 again. In my book, ASU is somewhat a #1 by default. Like I said before, until they lose a I-AA game, I don't see how you can drop them. That being said, if they struggle again and a team liek YSU runs the Gateway, then there may be some switch up, I'm not opposed to dropping my boys.

We are not going to see eye to eye on this obviously. I disagree with your decision, but I didn't expect anything different. Honestly, I could care less what we are ranked right now, we'll end up at the end of the year with the ranking we deserve...that's why I love I-AA.:hurray:

smallcollegefbfan
October 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I would probably rank Montana number 1. I believe NAU is better than their record. Remember, two of their losses are to I-A teams.

I think JMU should move up to the top 8. They looked good and I think we all felt UNH would either lose to JMU or UMASS. I believe it has now been confirmed that UNH is not a machine like many said they would be.

On App State I heard they had many dropped balls, turnovers, and poor execution in general. I was told there were many wide open WRs who would have scored had they just caught the ball. I believe all top teams are entitled to a hiccup game. I think ASU may have had it. I would have them 2nd right now but if they have another loss then I believe we know for sure they are vulnerable. Coastal lost to Elon, a team ASU blew out. I think we need to see more ball before we talk about dropping ASU or Montana and making Illinois State the top team. If I were voting in AGS I would have my top 5 like this though.

1. Montana
2. ASU
3. Illinois State
4. UMASS
5. Cal Poly