PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons why this National Championship Game is more interesting than you think.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 25th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I'm going to do like ESPN does here and try to hype up a game that the consensus says should not be competitive. Here are my reasons why I think this could turn out to be an interesting matchup...

1. Neutral field. I know that NDSU fans travel well, but let's be real, it is not going to be anything like the Fargo Dome. I couldn't name all of the FCS teams that play in a dome but I am almost positive the crowds are not nearly as big or loud as the Fargo Dome's. As of now they have the best home-field advantage in the FCS, even better than Wa-Griz because of that ridiculous noise level. The most difficult playoff matchups that NDSU has had in the past few years were all in the Fargo Dome. For the past two seasons NDSU has played the neutral field game against Sam Houston State - a finesse team that matches up well against Big Sky teams but isn't physical enough to beat NDSU.

2. Towson running game. The Towson running game is the best NDSU will face all year. Yes I am including Kansas State there. They have one of the best - if not the best - offensive lines in the FCS and a running back who leads the FCS in rushing yards per game. The best back NDSU faced in conference play - Zach Zenner - only got 8 carries agaisnt NDSU and there is a fairly significant dropoff after him (not counting Ojuri obviously) with MVFC backs. It's worth pointing out that NDSU is #1 in the FCS in TOP and really gets defenses worn down by the fourth quarter by making quick stops and fairly long, grueling drives down the field. NDSU hasn't fared as well as teams that can move the ball down the field and chew up clock - think Wofford with Eric Breitenstein and Georgia Southern with the Jerick McKinnon/Dominique Swope duo.

3. Coaching. I'll say it again...no disrespect to Bohl but Ambrose is the best coach in the FCS. NDSU beats teams by overpowering them, making fewer big mistakes than the other team, or both. They usually don't beat them by out-scheming them. If there's a way for Towson to stay in the game Ambrose will find it and he will have the team ready to play both emotionally and schematically. And Ambrose has quite a while to prepare for this game.

Just my 2¢.

Bronco
December 25th, 2013, 11:13 PM
It won't seem like a neutral field

http://image2.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1444_NDSU_Bison_Fans_Flood_the_Field_After_Winning _FCS_Championship.jpg

Tiger12
December 25th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Great write up! Really excited to see how this turns out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BisonBacker
December 25th, 2013, 11:43 PM
From what I've read and seen to this point I'm guessing at about 90% Bison Fans in the stands. NDSU fans were on the Towson site buying their tickets.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to do like ESPN does here and try to hype up a game that the consensus says should not be competitive. Here are my reasons why I think this could turn out to be an interesting matchup...

1. Neutral field. I know that NDSU fans travel well, but let's be real, it is not going to be anything like the Fargo Dome. I couldn't name all of the FCS teams that play in a dome but I am almost positive the crowds are not nearly as big or loud as the Fargo Dome's. As of now they have the best home-field advantage in the FCS, even better than Wa-Griz because of that ridiculous noise level. The most difficult playoff matchups that NDSU has had in the past few years were all in the Fargo Dome. For the past two seasons NDSU has played the neutral field game against Sam Houston State - a finesse team that matches up well against Big Sky teams but isn't physical enough to beat NDSU.

2. Towson running game. The Towson running game is the best NDSU will face all year. Yes I am including Kansas State there. They have one of the best - if not the best - offensive lines in the FCS and a running back who leads the FCS in rushing yards per game. The best back NDSU faced in conference play - Zach Zenner - only got 8 carries agaisnt NDSU and there is a fairly significant dropoff after him (not counting Ojuri obviously) with MVFC backs. It's worth pointing out that NDSU is #1 in the FCS in TOP and really gets defenses worn down by the fourth quarter by making quick stops and fairly long, grueling drives down the field. NDSU hasn't fared as well as teams that can move the ball down the field and chew up clock - think Wofford with Eric Breitenstein and Georgia Southern with the Jerick McKinnon/Dominique Swope duo.

3. Coaching. I'll say it again...no disrespect to Bohl but Ambrose is the best coach in the FCS. NDSU beats teams by overpowering them, making fewer big mistakes than the other team, or both. They usually don't beat them by out-scheming them. If there's a way for Towson to stay in the game Ambrose will find it and he will have the team ready to play both emotionally and schematically. And Ambrose has quite a while to prepare for this game.

Just my 2¢.

I disagree on the coaching. Not only do I think Bohl is a better coach I think overall the NDSU coaching staff is better. Just my two cents worth.

Milkman
December 26th, 2013, 12:50 AM

Just my 2¢.

Good points and thoroughly thought out. I agree to an extend but still don't think it'll be enough to overtake the Bison if all come to fruition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tribe4SF
December 26th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Just my 2¢.

I'd add to #1 that Towson has played their best football on the road all year. Only losses were to Nova and Delaware at home in games where they had brief meltdowns that decided the game. Nova at the start, and UD in the last three minutes. Suffered a similar spell during second quarter against Fordham but recovered nicely.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Good points

My 2$:

NDSU has not lost on the road since 2010.....3+ years.
Crowd will be a factor when it is 90-95% Bison fans.
Towson needs to be able to pass the ball to have a chance.
NDSU is a much better defensive team. IMO, they get more 3 and outs compared to Towson.
IMO, Towson's defense cannot stop the Bison offense. Too well balanced.

Professor Chaos
December 26th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Good points although one correction I'd make is that David Johnson from UNI was the best RB the Bison faced this year in conference. Although that should give Towson some hope knowing that he went for well over 100 against the Bison D including an 85 yard TD run.

Wilson16
December 26th, 2013, 08:08 AM
This game will be interesting if the Towson defense can force some three and outs and not let NDSU control the clock. IMO in this game NDSU's offense will be their best defense by keeping West off the field.

Herder
December 26th, 2013, 08:22 AM
No offense, but what is in Ambrose's Repertoire that would make him the best coach in the FCS? His offense looked rather unimaginative and didn't have much through the air. It was give it to West, and that was ineffective for a good share of the EWU game after taking a 21 point lead.

On defense, Ambrose's team had no answer for stopping EWU after they woke up in the 2nd Qtr. The only thing that stopped EWU was Adams not being able to play pitch and catch with a wide open Kupp that would have easily sealed the game. It was a gutty drive by the backup QB that won the game, but that looked like a determined backup player and line, and I didn't associate it with great coaching at the time. The scheme, fake the dive and run the QB off tackle didn't appear to be great coaching scheme to me. Just my opinion. Towson leaned on a worn out defense at the end of the game, similar to what NDSU does quite frankly.

Bohl's teams on the other hand are schematically superior on Defense to anything that Ambrose is doing there, and anything in the FCS. So, I am trying to understand how Ambrose is the hands down best coach in the FCS.

Holding K-State and John Huebert to their lowest running total of the year - scheme. Shutting down Zenner who had 200 on Nebraska - scheme. Holding oppoents to an average of 11 points a game - scheme. Run - Pass balance with 2 interchangable 1000 yard backs - scheme and coaching.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM
not coming in here with any chewing gum, that's for the other thread, In order for Towson to win North Dakota State would have to play there worst game in years and Towson will have to be clicking on all cylinders, if that happens we will have a ball game but I'm more of the opinion that North Dakota State will win handily and even if somehow the game is close, Towson will have another "meltdown".
North Dakota State 38
Towson 14

deez_na
December 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Just my 2¢.

Gonna go ahead and disagree about Ambrose, I really believe Bohl is the best in the FCS. There is a reason NDSU has been unstoppable with him and at the top.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Good points although one correction I'd make is that David Johnson from UNI was the best RB the Bison faced this year in conference. Although that should give Towson some hope knowing that he went for well over 100 against the Bison D including an 85 yard TD run.

I made a case in another thread last week, and I'll do it again, that DJ is the best back in the nation

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

McNeese75
December 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I would like to think the NC will be an exciting close game. But I am afraid the Bison roll again.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I think after this game, NDSU should change their mascot from the Bison to the GOATs

http://ginoraidy.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/happy-i-see-what-you-did-there-clean-l.png

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I do think this is the Bison's game but coach scheming also makes a difference. Towson does have a good power run game and they have beaten Fordham plus the #2 and #3 seeds to get here. No need to belittle them.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I do think this is the Bison's game but coach scheming also makes a difference. Towson does have a good power run game and they have beaten Fordham plus the #2 and #3 seeds to get here. No need to belittle them.

except who's belittling them?

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
except who's belittling them?

you mean besides numerous bison posters here?

I know, remember Jamaal Branch in the champ game? Colgate and the run game? Just being real... things can happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
you mean besides numerous bison posters here?

I know, remember Jamaal Branch in the champ game? Colgate and the run game? Just being real... things can happen.

My search might be broken because I don't see people from NDSU belittling Towson. We believe, very strongly, that we have one of the best teams, if not the best of all time playing right now. I don't care how good Towson is, NDSU is better. That's all.

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
My search might be broken because I don't see people from NDSU belittling Towson. We believe, very strongly, that we have one of the best teams, if not the best of all time playing right now. I don't care how good Towson is, NDSU is better. That's all.

this is not belittlement?

It will be a death of a thousand cuts.

Towson might be a little better than that.

Bisonator
December 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
First of all it will not be a neutral field. 80-20 Bison fans at least and more like 90-10. Still outdoor stadium so won't be as noisy as FD but still advantage NDSU.

Second, Towson is going to have to pass the ball to win. A one dimensional team is not going to fair well against NDSU. If they can get a lead and West can get some yards to open the play action passing game they might make it interesting. See the UNI game for example.

Third, I like Ambrose and think he has done a very good job with Towson. I would take NDSU's staff over anyone in college right now.

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 12:14 PM
First of all it will not be a neutral field...
Second, Towson is going to have to pass the ball to win. A one dimensional team is not going to fair well against NDSU...
Third, I like Ambrose and think he has done a very good job with Towson. I would take NDSU's staff over anyone in college right now.

I agree except coaching strength is more even in this matchup. Just my analysis.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM
this is not belittlement?

Towson might be a little better than that.

Sorry. I'll try to explain this very.....slowly. (See? That's belittlement)

NDSU has many potent offensive weapons. 2 1,000 yd rushers, a deep thread and a rock solid possession receiver. Combine that with 2 very good tight ends and a more than mobile quarterback who can #chuckthepigskin as needed that will be several ways to get yardage, hence the death of a thousand cuts.

If I haven't made it clear enough, I do not care how good Towson is. NDSU gets it done.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I made a case in another thread last week, and I'll do it again, that DJ is the best back in the nation

My bad for not trying to look at MVFC backs more thoroughly, but I think my point stands seeing how close that game was.

As far as the crowd goes, of course there will be more NDSU fans in Frisco but that won't make it the Fargo Dome.

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Sorry. I'll try to explain this very.....slowly. (See? That's belittlement)...

I understand your position

xhomerx

(as the founder of AGS I personally made all of these custom smiley icons lol)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I understand your position

xhomerx

(as the founder of AGS I personally made all of these custom smiley icons lol)

There is such a thing as contrarian kool aid. You seem to have a special recipe for it.

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM
There is such a thing as contrarian kool aid. You seem to have a special recipe for it.

you didn't grow up in Chicago as a Cubs AND Sox fan...

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 12:32 PM
... but that won't make it the Fargo Dome.

the total fan experience will be NDSU way more than Towson

but I saw the small UR turnout too

Eagle22
December 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
First of all it will not be a neutral field. 80-20 Bison fans at least and more like 90-10. Still outdoor stadium so won't be as noisy as FD but still advantage NDSU.

Second, Towson is going to have to pass the ball to win. A one dimensional team is not going to fair well against NDSU. If they can get a lead and West can get some yards to open the play action passing game they might make it interesting. See the UNI game for example.

I'll preface my post by saying I expect NDSU to win.

I do, however, recall a certain day in 1998 that Georgia Southern rolled into Chattanooga with a 14-0 record, an offensive juggernaut against a gritty UMASS team that had played a lot of good teams on the road (they also had lost two games narrowly to playoff participant UCONN that season in a scheduling quirk).

GSU had a 90-10% crowd advantage. We just had two things working against us. An injury decimated defense, and a near historic day of turnovers. Despite that, we still made it a ballgame scoring 48 points.

I just think back on how assured our fanbase was we were going to win that game. It is a fine line between being confident and cocky. The 1998 game loss provided the fuel for our coaches and team in 1999 & 2000, and I felt that 2001's distraction of PJ leaving for Navy coupled with a few other factors (playing a very good Furman team for one) were too much to overcome.

NDSU probably wins big, but there are plenty of outcomes that have happened in sports that one never saw coming.

Wilson16
December 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
3 stats I think will come into play as to why IMO the Bison win.

Penalties - Towson averages over 6 per game and if they commit them in crucial situations (see getting a third down conversion brought back then having to punt or a score called back) they will only make it tougher on themselves.

Opponents first downs - Towsen has given up 330 first downs in 15 games which is an average of 22 first downs per game. This means NDSU should be able to put some drives together, win the time of possession battle and keep West off the field.

Field Goals - Lets say the game is close and comes down to a fg to win it. Towsen has less than a 50% chance of making it having attempted 15 field goals this year and only connecting on 7 of them.

Twentysix
December 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM

I read several places that Towson sold between 700-800 tickets before returning them...

With 6% ambiguous attendance it should be 90% NDSU 3.5% Towson. 6% nuetral fans is probably overestimating also.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM
My bad for not trying to look at MVFC backs more thoroughly, but I think my point stands seeing how close that game was.

As far as the crowd goes, of course there will be more NDSU fans in Frisco but that won't make it the Fargo Dome.

My comment wasn't aimed/meant to sound rude.

I just think DJ gets greatly over looked when talking about the best backs. I'll post a number breakdown when I get home from work tonight...

IBleedYellow
December 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM

We are damn well going to try!

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 01:10 PM
In the end, Towson just to inconsistant to even sniff winning this game. If they were matched up against any other MVFC team Towson wins because ......

see eh eh....xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
December 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I'll preface my post by saying I expect NDSU to win.

I do, however, recall a certain day in 1998 that Georgia Southern rolled into Chattanooga with a 14-0 record, an offensive juggernaut against a gritty UMASS team that had played a lot of good teams on the road (they also had lost two games narrowly to playoff participant UCONN that season in a scheduling quirk).

GSU had a 90-10% crowd advantage. We just had two things working against us. An injury decimated defense, and a near historic day of turnovers. Despite that, we still made it a ballgame scoring 48 points.

I just think back on how assured our fanbase was we were going to win that game. It is a fine line between being confident and cocky. The 1998 game loss provided the fuel for our coaches and team in 1999 & 2000, and I felt that 2001's distraction of PJ leaving for Navy coupled with a few other factors (playing a very good Furman team for one) were too much to overcome.

NDSU probably wins big, but there are plenty of outcomes that have happened in sports that one never saw coming.
Very good points all around. I think the problem is people confuse the confidence (or cockiness) of Bison fans with disrespect for the opponent. That's not the case for me at least. I think Towson is an excellent team with the best RB the Bison will have seen since Taiwan Jones (which was 3 years and 45 games ago). However, I think the Bison win easily because they are focused, motivated, and supremely talented as a collective group.

That said, I'd be lying if I said there isn't a bit of doubt in my mind about the Bison winning. Anything can happen if the chips fall right for a team with a player as exceptional as West. There's also danger in having a team as good as Towson be able to legitimately play the "us against the world" car. I'm still very confident the Bison will avoid the upset and win handily to boot but there's a part in the back of mind (the pro football fans in this area know it as "the Vikings lobe") that's preparing me for the unthinkable should it happen.

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Very good points all around. I think the problem is people confuse the confidence (or cockiness) of Bison fans with disrespect for the opponent. That's not the case for me at least. I think Towson is an excellent team with the best RB the Bison will have seen since Taiwan Jones (which was 3 years and 45 games ago). However, I think the Bison win easily because they are focused, motivated, and supremely talented as a collective group.

That said, I'd be lying if I said there isn't a bit of doubt in my mind about the Bison winning. Anything can happen if the chips fall right for a team with a player as exceptional as West. There's also danger in having a team as good as Towson be able to legitimately play the "us against the world" car. I'm still very confident the Bison will avoid the upset and win handily to boot but there's a part in the back of mind (the pro football fans in this area know it as "the Vikings lobe") that's preparing me for the unthinkable should it happen.

I'd argue that and say Johnson from UNI if healthy would more than give him a run for his money. Of course it's an apples and oranges thing with both guys running behind two totally different OL's but I'd say Johnson would be everybit as good as West if he was running behind that same OL as West is.

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 01:42 PM
gawd I was a big Viking and Fran the man Tarkenton fan, and I can still see Joe Kapp hurtling ...

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM
gawd I was a big Viking and Fran the man Tarkenton fan, and I can still see Joe Kapp hurtling ...

Joe Kapp now that's funny that guy threw some of the highest passes I think when the ball came down it was still wet from the moisture in the clouds.

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but Brad Johnson is the only NFL quarterback to throw a touchdown pass to himself.
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Remember-When-Brad-Johnsons-TD-Pass-To-Himself/c50c1baa-2129-43ee-938a-eef3ad4d58cf

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joe Kapp now that's funny that guy threw some of the highest passes I think when the ball came down it was still wet from the moisture in the clouds.

he lead the Vikings to their first playoffs and was quite a runner... if I can go any more off topic...

there have been quite a few great posts on-topic so I'll quit here on this diversion

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2013, 02:02 PM
he lead the Vikings to their first playoffs and was quite a runner... if I can go any more off topic...

there have been quite a few great posts on-topic so I'll quit here on this diversion

I'm not knocking the guy just saying when he threw the ball it looked like it had helium in it. I don't think the guy knew how to throw one on a rope more like on a rainbow.. a very high rainbow!
Now back on topic!

DoubleH
December 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM

Just my 2¢.

Man I cannot believe the disrespect Towson is getting on these boards. Everyone is calling for a blowout, but OP has it right: THIS GAME WILL NOT BE A BLOWOUT. Yes NDSU is the favorite, and rightfully so, but these score predictions I see being thrown around would have you think the Bison were playing a Pioneer team. Towson absolutely can win this game. Will they? That will be decided in 9 days, but there is no chance you're going to see a 40-something to 10-something score, and you can take that to the bank.

To OP's points: I agree with 1 and 2, and partially with 3. Ambrose is a very, very good offensive coach, but I have had some issues with the other side of the ball in his tenure. I hope with two weeks to prepare we will not look lost in coverage at times on defense, which has happened a few times this season.

A few other points to consider:

1) We may be without or starting QB, but Athens narrowly beat out Frazier in camp for the job. IOW, Frazier is a talented kid, and he brings the running-QB dynamic more so than Athens.

2) I have said this all year long, and it bears repeating now: our often-disrespected defense is very good against the run (#15 nationally), with the exception being mobile QBs, who have absolutely killed us. Vernon Adams burned us in this aspect last week as well. Look back at that game - many times VA dropped back and couldn't find anyone, and scrambled to set up favorable down-distance and/or move the chains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jensen, while far from a plodder, is not exactly a running QB. This bodes well for that part of the game matchup.

3) NDSU may win by bludgeoning people to death on offense and controlling TOP - but we're built more or less the same way, except with more quick-strike potential, although I kind of doubt the Bison will allow any long TD passes. Who can run on whom will be a huge factor.

I like this little ESPN-like breakdown, so in the same vein I'll give you my "Keys To The Game" at some point in this thread. xcoachx

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Even if we assume the coaching talent is roughly even, I still give the edge to NDSU since Bohl has been there 2X before and most of the team has been there once or twice.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Ways Towson can have a small chand to win this game.

Tigers need NDSU to turn the ball over more than 7 times.
NDSU has to have 15+ penalties for more than 200 yards.
NDSU needs 3 defensive starters to get hurt and 2 on offense.

If all of these thing happen then they have a very small window of opportunity to grasp victory. In the unlikely scenario all of this does happen.

NDSU still wins by 3

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM
DoubleH......Jenson is a better runner than Adams. He deal hit your DBs instead of sliding like that pussy Adams did all game last week. He embarrassed football doing that stuff.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM
For those saying it wont be a blow out...what makes you think that?

Outside of KSU and UNI NDSU is outscoring opponents 498-118...or 42-10. And not one game was within 14. There was a 15, 18, 20 and 21. The other 8 were 4 score, or more wins

Couple that with the fact Towson had to pull 4 or 5 games completely out of their as because they got down by 2 or 3 scores early. You won't come back on NDSU like you did anyone else...

Might not be a 4 score, or more, loss..but it ain't going to be pretty

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Ways Towson can have a small chand to win this game.

Tigers need NDSU to turn the ball over more than 7 times.
NDSU has to have 15+ penalties for more than 200 yards.
NDSU needs 3 defensive starters to get hurt and 2 on offense.

If all of these thing happen then they have a very small window of opportunity to grasp victory. In the unlikely scenario all of this does happen.

NDSU still wins by 3

You forgot food poisoning. I said that before the CC game. That would also do it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM
You forgot food poisoning. I said that before the CC game. That would also do it.
Not enough............

Professor Chaos
December 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM
2) I have said this all year long, and it bears repeating now: our often-disrespected defense is very good against the run (#15 nationally), with the exception being mobile QBs, who have absolutely killed us. Vernon Adams burned us in this aspect last week as well. Look back at that game - many times VA dropped back and couldn't find anyone, and scrambled to set up favorable down-distance and/or move the chains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jensen, while far from a plodder, is not exactly a running QB. This bodes well for that part of the game matchup.

Jensen isn't nearly as dynamic as Adams is running the ball but he's a very effective runner. He's shiftier than he gets credit for and he's tough to bring down at 6'3" 225. It hasn't been so much the case this year, but last year when NDSU absolutely needed 3-5 yards they called the QB draw more often than any other play. That's what provided the game winning points against Georgia Southern. He ran for 3 TDs against Sam Houston last year down in Frisco. Don't be surprised to see his number called a few times in the run game.

Tubakat2014
December 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Man I cannot believe the disrespect Towson is getting on these boards. Everyone is calling for a blowout, but OP has it right: THIS GAME WILL NOT BE A BLOWOUT. Yes NDSU is the favorite, and rightfully so, but these score predictions I see being thrown around would have you think the Bison were playing a Pioneer team. Towson absolutely can win this game. Will they? That will be decided in 9 days, but there is no chance you're going to see a 40-something to 10-something score, and you can take that to the bank.

To OP's points: I agree with 1 and 2, and partially with 3. Ambrose is a very, very good offensive coach, but I have had some issues with the other side of the ball in his tenure. I hope with two weeks to prepare we will not look lost in coverage at times on defense, which has happened a few times this season.

1) We may be without or starting QB, but Athens narrowly beat out Frazier in camp for the job. IOW, Frazier is a talented kid, and he brings the running-QB dynamic more so than Athens.

3) NDSU may win by bludgeoning people to death on offense and controlling TOP - but we're built more or less the same way, except with more quick-strike potential, although I kind of doubt the Bison will allow any long TD passes. Who can run on whom will be a huge factor.

I like this little ESPN-like breakdown, so in the same vein I'll give you my "Keys To The Game" at some point in this thread. xcoachx

Good points here, but this game has already been won by NDSU as far as most of AGS is concerned. I'm questioning why the NCAA is even wasting money on this game when the laws of physics clearly dictate that Towson can't come within four touchdowns of NDSU. xrolleyesx

In all seriousness, I believe NDSU wins this one fairly easy. But I also don't see why it's so taboo to entertain ways that Towson might be able to pull off the win.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Good points here, but this game has already been won by NDSU as far as most of AGS is concerned. I'm questioning why the NCAA is even wasting money on this game when the laws of physics clearly dictate that Towson can't come within four touchdowns of NDSU. xrolleyesx

In all seriousness, I believe NDSU wins this one fairly easy. But I also don't see why it's so taboo to entertain ways that Towson might be able to pull off the win.

It's not taboo at all. The reason they are playing the game is so we can go stimulate the economy of Frisco for a few days.

Tubakat2014
December 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
It's not taboo at all. The reason they are playing the game is so we can go stimulate the economy of Frisco for a few days.

Absolutely, but there is also that business of giving both teams a playing field to see who can win a game of football. Unlikely as it may seem that Towson can win.

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2013, 03:12 PM
NDSU's average margin of victory in the playoffs is 34 points compared to 16 for Towson. I doubt Towson will put up anywhere close to their playoff average for points considering NDSU's opponents have only averaged 12 points. Take out the touchdown given up in garbage time and the averages dows down to 9 points per game scored against NDSU in the playoffs.

Outside of KSU and UNI NDSU is outscoring opponents 498-118...or 42-10. And not one game was within 14. There was a 15, 18, 20 and 21. The other 8 were 4 score, or more wins

Couple that with the fact Towson had to pull 4 or 5 games completely out of their as because they got down by 2 or 3 scores early. You won't come back on NDSU like you did anyone else...

Might not be a 4 score, or more, loss..but it ain't going to be pretty

NDB
December 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM
NDSU fans will have this game won on Friday night just like last year.

The Tigers are going to look out their windows at Embassy Suites and see 15,000 Bisons rocking Dr. Pepper Park.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM

I hear Frisco has erected a wind farm in anticipation of the Fargo faithful's arrival.... should be able to harness up enough energy to power the city for months

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM
NDSU fans will have this game won on Friday night just like last year.

The Tigers are going to look out their windows at Embassy Suites and see 15,000 Bisons rocking Dr. Pepper Park.

They're capping it at 10k. But yeah, I'll bet Willie made sure his kids weren't looking out the windows.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I hear Frisco has erected a wind farm in anticipation of the Fargo faithful's arrival.... should be able to harness up enough energy to power the city for months

The wind always blows in TX. The supplemental wind will be created by the opening of wallets and dollars flying in to cash registers.

- - - Updated - - -

They're capping it at 10k. But yeah, I'll bet Willie made sure his kids weren't looking out the windows.

They said they were capping it at 10 last year. LOL Didnt happen.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Bisonoline;2081288]The wind always blows in TX. The supplemental wind will be created by the opening of wallets and dollars flying in to cash registers.

So now were supposed to believe that all people that live in ND are rich? Before the oil boom, I heard the state had to offer rebates/tax incentives just to persuade people to live/remain in the state.... but yes, corn, soy, oil, fracking, water hauling..... you boys doing well it would appear from the outside

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bisonoline;2081288]The wind always blows in TX. The supplemental wind will be created by the opening of wallets and dollars flying in to cash registers.

So now were supposed to believe that all people that live in ND are rich? Before the oil boom, I heard the state had to offer rebates/tax incentives just to persuade people to live/remain in the state.... but yes, corn, soy, oil, fracking, water hauling..... you boys doing well it would appear from the outside

Either your reading comprehension is very lacking or you are just plain delusional. Where in my post did I say all the people in ND are rich?
Frisco loves the economic impact from the 15-20,000 Bison faithful who will be traveling from all over the USA.
Best you go sit in the corner as the adults are having a conversation.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Best you go sit in the corner as the adults are having a conversation.

yea, a boring one at that.... did you miss the boom or something? your just a bit grumpy

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 04:26 PM
yea, a boring one at that.... did you miss the boom or something? your just a bit grumpy

If its so boring move on. You may take your boorish behavior with you.

wow
December 26th, 2013, 04:26 PM
As an SDSU fan who has watched NDSU play about a dozen times in the last 3 years, I don't think Towson stands a chance against NDSU.

The line could be 20 points and I wouldn't bet on Towson to cover, much less win. Sorry to the Towson faithful I have offended.

With all that being said, anything can happen.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 04:30 PM
If its so boring move on. You may take your boorish behavior with you.

No, boorish would be just another conforming Bizun fan telling us what we should believe and how we should act....

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 04:36 PM
No, boorish would be just another conforming Bizun fan telling us what we should believe and how we should act....

Nice try at deflection. Move on little boy.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Nice try at deflection. Move on little boy.

put your emotions in check.... message boards should not be bad for your health.... focus on the game and don't let me distract you.... but if you must regress, I'll be right here

KUlawJack
December 26th, 2013, 04:42 PM
As an SDSU fan who has watched NDSU play about a dozen times in the last 3 years, I don't think Towson stands a chance against NDSU.

The line could be 20 points and I wouldn't bet on Towson to cover, much less win. Sorry to the Towson faithful I have offended.

With all that being said, anything can happen.

I'm in the same camp. May be a ball game going into the second half, but the 4th quarter will unfold like my previous nightmares watching SDSU vs. NDSU the last couple seasons. Too much ball control by NDSU wears down the opponent and the bleeding really starts. Long sustained drives with TDs, not field goals, are the only hope for Towson. Those drives are hard to come by against NDSU.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 04:43 PM
put your emotions in check.... message boards should not be bad for your health.... focus on the game and don't let me distract you.... but if you must regress, I'll be right here

Obviously you think more of yourself than what others do. I guess we have now narrowed it down to your delusion. The game will take care of itself. next

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Obviously you think more of yourself than what others do. I guess we have now narrowed it down to your delusion. The game will take care of itself. next

Meh, He's just trolling the NDSU threads to fill the hole that his ****ty team has left in him.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Meh, He's just trolling the NDSU threads to fill the hole that his ****ty team has left in him.

Yeah it was obvious. Just having a little fun with the troll. Bowl game coming on. time to go.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 05:19 PM

take cover Fido, BOL is not keeping in there to scratch your ears

Lehigh'98
December 26th, 2013, 05:51 PM
The one advantage Towson has is they have had a much tougher road to Frisco, beating 3 of the better FCS teams. We are talking about an all time FCS team here though in NDSU. This will be there apex and next year there will be a reversion to the mean for them, but if Towson somehow wins this game, it will be an enormous upset. Enjoy while you can Bison, you have done something very special this year, next year the dance will be much different.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
The one advantage Towson has is they have had a much tougher road to Frisco, beating 3 of the better FCS teams. We are talking about an all time FCS team here though in NDSU. This will be there apex and next year there will be a reversion to the mean for them, but if Towson somehow wins this game, it will be an enormous upset. Enjoy while you can Bison, you have done something very special this year, next year the dance will be much different.

Different? yes. Much different? No. Lot of returning starters next year. Think last year's team, that should be close.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
take cover Fido, BOL is not keeping in there to scratch your ears

Hey, Hen....Bisonoline has forgot more about football than you know buddy!!

Don't get mad. Go to Frisco to watch some good football.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM

This has been a great 3 year run for the Bison. Next year's Bison squad will need some time to gel but they will also be a very good team. They will contend for the MV crown and I expect them to make the playoffs.

Lehigh'98
December 26th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Different? yes. Much different? No. Lot of returning starters next year. Think last year's team, that should be close.

You are expecting to win a NC next year, like the 2012 team? Too many changes IMO. Not that you can't compete for a league title, but what Bohl has achieved here won't be happening next year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM
You are expecting to win a NC next year, like the 2012 team? Too many changes IMO. Not that you can't compete for a league title, but what Bohl has achieved here won't be happening next year.

I don't believe I said that at all.

Lehigh'98
December 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I don't believe I said that at all.

Just clarifying if you were expecting 2012 results. Next year will be much more wide open in FCS land.

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
This has been a great 3 year run for the Bison. Next year's Bison squad will need some time to gel but they will also be a very good team. They will contend for the MV crown and I expect them to make the playoffs.

Just curious how many starters do you guys lose?

Mr. C
December 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM
No offense, but what is in Ambrose's Repertoire that would make him the best coach in the FCS? His offense looked rather unimaginative and didn't have much through the air. It was give it to West, and that was ineffective for a good share of the EWU game after taking a 21 point lead.

On defense, Ambrose's team had no answer for stopping EWU after they woke up in the 2nd Qtr. The only thing that stopped EWU was Adams not being able to play pitch and catch with a wide open Kupp that would have easily sealed the game. It was a gutty drive by the backup QB that won the game, but that looked like a determined backup player and line, and I didn't associate it with great coaching at the time. The scheme, fake the dive and run the QB off tackle didn't appear to be great coaching scheme to me. Just my opinion. Towson leaned on a worn out defense at the end of the game, similar to what NDSU does quite frankly.

Bohl's teams on the other hand are schematically superior on Defense to anything that Ambrose is doing there, and anything in the FCS. So, I am trying to understand how Ambrose is the hands down best coach in the FCS.

Holding K-State and John Huebert to their lowest running total of the year - scheme. Shutting down Zenner who had 200 on Nebraska - scheme. Holding oppoents to an average of 11 points a game - scheme. Run - Pass balance with 2 interchangable 1000 yard backs - scheme and coaching.
If you think Towson's offense is in any way unimaginative, you either don't have a strong understanding of football, or you haven't seen much of Towson. One of the most fun things I can think of doing is sitting down and talking football with Rob Ambrose. He is one of the most innovative coaches I've met in 37 years of covering college football.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 26th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Just clarifying if you were expecting 2012 results. Next year will be much more wide open in FCS land.

Maybe but you have a veteran team that graduates a lot of seniors but returns a lot of starters. We return almost all of the offensive line as well as our leading receiver and most athletic linebacker.

I really like this team next year.

TwinCitiesBison
December 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Promoting Coach K will diminish our dropoff, I believe. The fact that we can maintain the current system and *hopefully* keep all our recruits makes me much more optimistic that we can keep the train rolling...not "4 in a row" rolling, but still a team team in the mix come next December and going forward.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Bisonator
December 26th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Maybe but you have a veteran team that graduates a lot of seniors but returns a lot of starters. We return almost all of the offensive line as well as our leading receiver and most athletic linebacker.

I really like this team next year.

This^^^^^.

I'm not saying NDSU will be back in the championship game but it wouldn't surprise me either. We return a lot of players with experience and a bunch of hungry young players ready to step in and make an impact. Reload not rebuild.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Just curious how many starters do you guys lose?

With how many guys rotate, it is hard to say. Jensen and 2 OL do not rotate on offense. MW on defense doesn't, but with his injuries the last part of the year he has come out some.

Bison will lose 6 guys on offense: QB, RB, TE, slot WR and 2 OL

Bison lose 5 on defense: 2 DTs, DE, MLB, CR

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM
With how many guys rotate, it is hard to say. Jensen and 2 OL do not rotate on offense. MW on defense doesn't, but with his injuries the last part of the year he has come out some.

Bison will lose 6 guys on offense: QB, RB, TE, slot WR and 2 OL

Bison lose 5 on defense: 2 DTs, DE, MLB, CR

So about half, which isn't horrible plus with the blowouts you guys had the backups did get a lot of playing time this season.

Bison56
December 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM
My biggest question will be how well Wentz can lead.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 26th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I don't see any reason they can't win it all next season. Even with the changes and graduations I have no problem saying that........but then again I have watched them play and have seen the back ups perform. Most people that are counting them out haven't seen the back ups and are hoping they fall back to the pack but are basing it on nothing more than hope

Lehigh'98
December 26th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I don't see any reason they can't win it all next season. Even with the changes and graduations I have no problem saying that........but then again I have watched them play and have seen the back ups perform. Most people that are counting them out haven't seen the back ups and are hoping they fall back to the pack but are basing it on nothing more than hope

Simply losing 50% of your coaching staff is a big enough change to bring them back to the pack. Teams don't stay on top forever. Also, Jensen is a special player, whoever replaces him will be untested. No guarantees he will be a winner. Not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't favor them.

Gothmog
December 26th, 2013, 08:51 PM

You have to understand you're just the most recent team to tell us that this time it's going to be different...this time NDSU is up against something it hasn't seen before. Like all the others, you're about to find out how wrong you really are.

Based on what I saw on the field against EWU, this game is an NDSU blowout.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Simply losing 50% of your coaching staff is a big enough change to bring them back to the pack. Teams don't stay on top forever. Also, Jensen is a special player, whoever replaces him will be untested. No guarantees he will be a winner. Not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't favor them.
I guarantee Wentz will be better than Jenson in every way. Bigger stronger faster.

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Defense wins championships. With coach K leading that charge and the players we have coming back those who are dismissing NDSU as just another game next year are going to be disappointed.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM

Sent from my S4 using TapatalkOkay...it's tough to compare because of the complete differences in offensive systems that the two teams run.

As of right now Terrance West has 391 carries this season (26 per game) DJ finished with 222 carries (20 per game). In 12 games UNI threw the ball 331 times (28 times per game and by contrast Towson has thrown the ball 350 times in 15 games (22 per game).

Those don't sound like huge differences, but it adds up to huge numbers in stats.

It also looks like West played the entire game of pretty much every game of the season. On the contrast DJ only played 1 play of the second half of the Drake game due to the score, pulled halfway through the 4th against McNeese State due to the score, pulled halfway through the 4th against Northern Colorado, missed the 3rd quarter of the NDSU game (which he ran for 145 yards in, FWIW) with a hip flexor injury, missed the YSU game due to that injury, played only a half (essentially) against Southern Illinois due to the injury, and a quarter (essentially) against Illinois State due to the injury. All in all DJ played just 39 quarters of football this year compared to 60 for West.

Playing the hypothetical game, which is fun and dangerous, using DJs averages with West's carries his stat line would have been

391 carries 2,270 yards roughly 22 touchdowns.

Now, let's play the real hypothetical game and pretend that injury didn't happen. Let's pretend DJ didn't play the last 7 games of the season at roughly 75% health and lets pretend he carried his averages from the first 5 games of the season through the last 7 (not hard to imagine because the back half of the schedule was weaker than the front half). During that span DJ was averaging 8.03 yards per carry. If we give DJ the number of Carries that West had during that time his numbers would be roughly

391 carries 3,140 yards and roughly 35-40 touchdowns.

Now, let's be *a little* more realistic. Let's say DJ doesn't continue his 8.03 ypc average...but also being realistic he doesn't finish the season at 5.8 yards per carry as he wouldn't have 5 carries for 7 yards against Illinois State if healthy and 11 carries for 19 yards against Southern Illinois if healthy. So let's take those two games out and average his YPC and use that.

That would give DJ stats that would be *something* like

391 carries 2,567 yards and roughly 30 touchdowns.

Oh...and couple that with the fact that DJ had twice the receptions and receiving yards as West and more receiving touchdowns...a quick hypothetical on that using his average and a very small boost for the fact he would have been healthy again he would have likely finished with about 53 catches for about 540 yards and roughly 7 receiving touchdowns.

So, in summation...

A healthy David Johnson, used at the same rate that West was used runs for a little more yardage, likely less touchdowns, and has double the WR stats.

Yay for extrapolating numbers and drawing conclusions.

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2013, 10:05 PM
The biggest difference between the two is can Johnson stay healthy vs. West? Then again West wasn't 100% in the EWU game as I know he went out dinged up for a time in that game. Either way I think both play at the next level barring any major career ending injury. I would take a Healthy Johnson (here come the jokes) over a healthy West running behind the same O line.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM
The biggest difference between the two is can Johnson stay healthy vs. West? Then again West wasn't 100% in the EWU game as I know he went out dinged up for a time in that game. Either way I think both play at the next level barring any major career ending injury. I would take a Healthy Johnson (here come the jokes) over a healthy West running behind the same O line.
DJ hasn't had an injury before that one.

A hip flexor is a fluke deal. I can tell you what play it was during the game as well, and if you watch it he lands on his stomach and is stretch for more yards at the end of the run with a defender holding him from the back side...He goes down fairly normal. It must have just been a small, but large enough, twist of the hip to cause it.

Lehigh'98
December 26th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Okay...it's tough to compare because of the complete differences in offensive systems that the two teams run.

As of right now Terrance West has 391 carries this season (26 per game) DJ finished with 222 carries (20 per game). In 12 games UNI threw the ball 331 times (28 times per game and by contrast Towson has thrown the ball 350 times in 15 games (22 per game).

Those don't sound like huge differences, but it adds up to huge numbers in stats.

It also looks like West played the entire game of pretty much every game of the season. On the contrast DJ only played 1 play of the second half of the Drake game due to the score, pulled halfway through the 4th against McNeese State due to the score, pulled halfway through the 4th against Northern Colorado, missed the 3rd quarter of the NDSU game (which he ran for 145 yards in, FWIW) with a hip flexor injury, missed the YSU game due to that injury, played only a half (essentially) against Southern Illinois due to the injury, and a quarter (essentially) against Illinois State due to the injury. All in all DJ played just 39 quarters of football this year compared to 60 for West.

Playing the hypothetical game, which is fun and dangerous, using DJs averages with West's carries his stat line would have been

391 carries 2,270 yards roughly 22 touchdowns.

Now, let's play the real hypothetical game and pretend that injury didn't happen. Let's pretend DJ didn't play the last 7 games of the season at roughly 75% health and lets pretend he carried his averages from the first 5 games of the season through the last 7 (not hard to imagine because the back half of the schedule was weaker than the front half). During that span DJ was averaging 8.03 yards per carry. If we give DJ the number of Carries that West had during that time his numbers would be roughly

391 carries 3,140 yards and roughly 35-40 touchdowns.

Now, let's be *a little* more realistic. Let's say DJ doesn't continue his 8.03 ypc average...but also being realistic he doesn't finish the season at 5.8 yards per carry as he wouldn't have 5 carries for 7 yards against Illinois State if healthy and 11 carries for 19 yards against Southern Illinois if healthy. So let's take those two games out and average his YPC and use that.

That would give DJ stats that would be *something* like

391 carries 2,567 yards and roughly 30 touchdowns.

Oh...and couple that with the fact that DJ had twice the receptions and receiving yards as West and more receiving touchdowns...a quick hypothetical on that using his average and a very small boost for the fact he would have been healthy again he would have likely finished with about 53 catches for about 540 yards and roughly 7 receiving touchdowns.

So, in summation...

A healthy David Johnson, used at the same rate that West was used runs for a little more yardage, likely less touchdowns, and has double the WR stats.

Yay for extrapolating numbers and drawing conclusions.

I feel like I just read a North Korean newspaper article. Some slanted stuff u got there.

TennBison
December 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'd add to #1 that Towson has played their best football on the road all year. Only losses were to Nova and Delaware at home in games where they had brief meltdowns that decided the game. Nova at the start, and UD in the last three minutes. Suffered a similar spell during second quarter against Fordham but recovered nicely.
You do realize that NDSU has not lost a game away from the dome since 2010. So who has the better road record now????

TennBison
December 26th, 2013, 10:30 PM
That 85 yarder is the reason he went over 100, otherwise he was average at best as far as production goes that game.

ngineer
December 26th, 2013, 10:30 PM
West will get his yards, but the question will be whether he will be able to break some big ones, as well as open up the secondary to some effective play-action passing. Towson's biggest issue will be on defense. NDSU appears to be very well balanced and doesn't seem to make many mistakes or turnovers. A well-disciplined team. Still picking Bison by 10, but rooting for the Tigers.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
That 85 yarder is the reason he went over 100, otherwise he was average at best as far as production goes that game.

How many other backs have broken 85 yard runs on ndsu?

****, how many other backs have gotten 85 total yards?

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Also...dj averaged 5.5 ypc in his other runs for the day...fwiw

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Another also, take away zz long runs in each game and check his average. He is the matter at getting 3 ypc but finding a huge 70 yard run to boost his average way up

TwinCitiesBison
December 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM
How many other backs have broken 85 yard runs on ndsu?

****, how many other backs have gotten 85 total yards?

I hate that argument.."well, if it wasn't for that 85 yarder, he would've never gotten over 100..." Like those 85 yards aren't supposed to count? Hey Adrian Peterson...sorry, we're no longer going to count any of your long runs last year so you didn't go over 2000 yards...sorry!

Sorry Bison fans...gotta go with Clenz on this one...that run alone against the Bison D was terrific. My hat goes off to him. Nobody beats the Bison D like that.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I hate that argument.."well, if it wasn't for that 85 yarder, he would've never gotten over 100..." Like those 85 yards aren't supposed to count? Hey Adrian Peterson...sorry, we're no longer going to count any of your long runs last year so you didn't go over 2000 yards...sorry!

Sorry Bison fans...gotta go with Clenz on this one...that run alone against the Bison D was terrific. My hat goes off to him. Nobody beats the Bison D like that.

I am with both of you on this one!

BisonBacker
December 26th, 2013, 11:52 PM

That's why I say given the choice of the two backs with the same good O Line I'd take Johnson. I think the raw talent he has is second to none in the FCS.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2013, 08:34 AM
No we wasn't. Take away that carry and he still had 12 touches (11 carries and a reception) for 81 yards. He was gashing the Bison defense for significant gains the whole game.

clenz
December 27th, 2013, 09:32 AM
No we wasn't. Take away that carry and he still had 12 touches (11 carries and a reception) for 81 yards. He was gashing the Bison defense for significant gains the whole game.

5.5ypc on his other 11 carries....so yes, that is"slightly below average"for dj and you're technically "correct"....still completely wrong, tennbison

I challenge anyone, because I'll do it when I get home tonight, to find another back who did to ndsu what DJ did even without that run

60 yards rushing on 11 carries and 1 catch for 24 yards, for the record....ready...go

Gil Dobie
December 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM

I won't belittle Towson, but the Vikings are another story ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I have never been so glad for the 2 week layoff rather than 3.

BisonBacker
December 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I have never been so glad for the 2 week layoff rather than 3.

At least today is Friday...It is Friday isn't it xeyebrowx

Gil Dobie
December 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM
The Best defense in the CAA held Towson to 15 points and shutout UNH. Bison reserves gave up 7 points to UNH at the end of the game, while Towson gave up 20 points to UNH in the first quarter. I see Towson as a little better than SDSU, but less than UNI as a complete team at the time NDSU played them. Game will be close until Towson's defense gets worn down, ala Kansas St.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 27th, 2013, 09:45 AM
At least today is Friday...It is Friday isn't it xeyebrowx

Yeah. my whole week has been screwed up. Only 166 hrs before I leave for Frisco!

THE HERD
December 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I gotta agree with Clenz as well.....if Johnson doesn't get the hip pointer in that game we may not have won it. Also is it just me or does it seem like Johnson has been playing forever! Need that dude to graduate. UNI will be real tough next year....a lot of young players returning and they probably will have developed a little depth with all the injuries this year. Don't sleep on the Bison though Clenz, cuz we aren't giving up the MVFC crown that easily.

Tribe4SF
December 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM
The Best defense in the CAA held Towson to 15 points and shutout UNH. Bison reserves gave up 7 points to UNH at the end of the game, while Towson gave up 20 points to UNH in the first quarter. I see Towson as a little better than SDSU, but less than UNI as a complete team at the time NDSU played them. Game will be close until Towson's defense gets worn down, ala Kansas St.

All this transitive stuff misses the mark. NDSU has played more consistently, and at a higher level than anyone else. Those of us in the CAA know what Towson is capable of when they play at a high level. Based on their play over the past five games I expect them to be at a high level in Frisco. They have the athletes and the physicality to compete with NDSU. If I had to pick a winner it would be NDSU, but I expect Towson to impress through their play and won't be surprised if they have a chance to win it.

IBleedYellow
December 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM
5.5ypc on his other 11 carries....so yes, that is"slightly below average"for dj and you're technically "correct"....still completely wrong, tennbison

I challenge anyone, because I'll do it when I get home tonight, to find another back who did to ndsu what DJ did even without that run

60 yards rushing on 11 carries and 1 catch for 24 yards, for the record....ready...go

But at the end of the day, even WITH a star back running all over NDSU, look at which team won the game.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

clenz
December 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
But at the end of the day, even WITH a star back running all over NDSU, look at which team won the game.

Again..not relevant to the discussion.

Why are some ndsu fans completely incapable of having a conversation that doesn't turn into "oh yeah, we won" or "**** you, we won a title" or some other bull **** that adds nothing to the topic?

Must be a north Dakota thing because und fans do the same ****ing thing

Tubakat2014
December 27th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Why are some ndsu fans completely incapable of having a conversation that doesn't turn into "oh yeah, we won" or "**** you, we won a title" or some other bull **** that adds nothing to the topic?

There's a certain sense of undeserved entitlement when you have an undefeated team. It's almost like the team's success gives the fans the right to be ridiculously cocky despite the fact that the fans aren't the ones winning the games. It's an easy way to get out of having a discussion when you can just point at your team's record.

Notice how I didn't pin NDSU specifically. You see this at any level of football with any number of teams. I'm sure you remember SHSU fans in 2011, Alabama fans every year until their inevitable regular season loss, etc.

Hammerhead
December 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I didn't bother with pass receiving and just pulled the rushing numbers.

The box scores posted by ESPN show 3 other players with more than 100 rushing yards and 3 other rushers who averaged more than 6 yards per carry. It's interesting to note that behind Johnson, the 3 players with the most rushing yards were on teams with the the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th biggest margins of victory for NDSU.

If you take away Johnson's 85-yard run, he would finish behind 7 others in rushing yards and behind 10 opponents in average yards. Of course, taking away that big touchdown run is kind of like saying: "Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln."

wow
December 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
But at the end of the day, even WITH a star back running all over NDSU, look at which team barely won the game after said running back got hurt in the best home field in FCS.

Fixed it for you. Johnson touched the ball 1 time in the 4th quarter when UNI led 23-10. All hail the mighty Bison, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Another also, take away zz long runs in each game and check his average. He is the matter at getting 3 ypc but finding a huge 70 yard run to boost his average way up

Last year, that was his MO. However, this year was different. Either opponents gameplanned better, he was banged up, or just tired, but he didn't break off as many long runs. Personally, I think teams finally realized how fast he is and started taking better angles to box him in. NDSU fans and FCS fans in general write Zenner off because he hasn't done much against NDSU, but he still finished #2 in the nation. Remember, it took West a 354 yard performance and an extra game to get to 2420 and definitively beat Zenner out of the top spot.

Again, as an SDSU fan, I'm sure West is great, maybe the best. But I've also seen NDSU shut down Zenner 3 times in the last 2 years, as well as contain Johnson and Shakir Bell (anybody remember him?) very nicely.

Maybe West runs for 150, but if Towson thinks they are going to ride to the NC against NDSU's defense on West's shoulders, they are in for a rude awakening.

IBleedYellow
December 27th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Woah, now. Calm down there clenzy. My point is that Johnson is the best and the only way NDSU slowed him down was due to injury.

Bisonoline
December 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM
There's a certain sense of undeserved entitlement when you have an undefeated team. It's almost like the team's success gives the fans the right to be ridiculously cocky despite the fact that the fans aren't the ones winning the games. It's an easy way to get out of having a discussion when you can just point at your team's record.

Notice how I didn't pin NDSU specifically. You see this at any level of football with any number of teams. I'm sure you remember SHSU fans in 2011, Alabama fans every year until their inevitable regular season loss, etc.

Da trut!!!!

DoubleH
December 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM
All this transitive stuff misses the mark. NDSU has played more consistently, and at a higher level than anyone else. Those of us in the CAA know what Towson is capable of when they play at a high level. Based on their play over the past five games I expect them to be at a high level in Frisco. They have the athletes and the physicality to compete with NDSU. If I had to pick a winner it would be NDSU, but I expect Towson to impress through their play and won't be surprised if they have a chance to win it.

Great job making the point that all the Bison fans are missing: Towson has the talent to compete with, and beat, NDSU. Whether or not we play up to that talent level on both sides of the ball has been the issue all season long, but in this case I absolutely think we do.

Also, since you brought up UNH, and since they are 1 of 2 common opponents: yes we gave up 20 in the first quarter on a couple of fumbles and a trick play, but we then rattled off... 44 straight points, and UNH didn't score again until 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter in a 44-20 game. We also rolled up 731 yards of offense. But again, each game is different. We'll see how the Tigers come out next Saturday.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Great job making the point that all the Bison fans are missing: Towson has the talent to compete with, and beat, NDSU. Whether or not we play up to that talent level on both sides of the ball has been the issue all season long, but in this case I absolutely think we do.

Also, since you brought up UNH, and since they are 1 of 2 common opponents: yes we gave up 20 in the first quarter on a couple of fumbles and a trick play, but we then rattled off... 44 straight points, and UNH didn't score again until 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter in a 44-20 game. We also rolled up 731 yards of offense. But again, each game is different. We'll see how the Tigers come out next Saturday.
And all we heard about last week from your CAA brethren from New Hampshire was how they turned into a completely different team after that game and starting playing to their "natural ability". Sound familiar?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 27th, 2013, 04:28 PM

Towson has the ability to beat the Eastern teams that looked all along like paper tigers anyway.

NDSU hasn't lost to a non-conference opponent since 3 years, 11 days ago. That's a lot of days.

I'm looking for a coronation. The greatest championship run in FCS history.

clenz
December 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM

You get down by 20 to NDSU you may as well get on a bus and go the **** home....

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hey, Hen....Bisonoline has forgot more about football than you know buddy!!

Don't get mad. Go to Frisco to watch some good football.

BOL.... never heard of him, got my tickets but not for Frisco, Fargo instead. Lots of football widows I hear.

Gil Dobie
December 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Point all Tiger fans are missing is that NDSU fans realize Towson has the talent to complete with and beat NDSU. This happens every year, other fans think ALL Bison fans think this or think that. Sounds like ALL Towson fans don't think NDSU has a chance ;)

Wilson16
December 27th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Point all Tiger fans are missing is that NDSU fans realize Towson has the talent to complete with and beat NDSU. This happens every year, other fans think ALL Bison fans think this or think that. Sounds like ALL Towson fans don't think NDSU has a chance ;)

all five Towsen fans

TwinCitiesBison
December 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM

^ This. Look, I know that for everyone else the Bison faithful are a bunch cocky, arrogant blowhards who talk up their team no matter what and belittle their team at the drop of the hat. You know why that is? Because that's exactly who we are. There's the old adage, "To the victor go the spoils of war." In this case, the spoils are the privilege, no, the right, to be cocky, arrogant blowhards. Throw in the fact that the Bison are two-time defending champs with a shot at the third and winner of 23 straight? No chance we're going to change. We have been told by FBS fans for years that we've got no shot and we go out and win. We take on one of the toughest FCS conferences in the country and escape unscathed. We roll through the playoffs like it's our personal playground. And you expect us to have some sense of reality at this point? We have lost all sense of humility, humbleness, and decorum that most fan bases have learned to adhere to.

BUT...That's why your team playing the champs is such a great reward. If your team is the one to knock the Bison off, you get the RIGHT to shut all of us up. When that day does eventually happen, you will find Bison fans to be gracious in defeat and congratulate your team on their victory. Until then, sorry folks...the train keeps rollin on down the line.

To those that this post seems like another arrogant post by a Bison fan? I'm sorry that I'm not sorry. At this point, this is who I am and this is who we are.

Go Bison!

clenz
December 28th, 2013, 05:40 AM
^ This. Look, I know that for everyone else the Bison faithful are a bunch cocky, arrogant blowhards who talk up their team no matter what and belittle their team at the drop of the hat. You know why that is? Because that's exactly who we are. There's the old adage, "To the victor go the spoils of war." In this case, the spoils are the privilege, no, the right, to be cocky, arrogant blowhards. Throw in the fact that the Bison are two-time defending champs with a shot at the third and winner of 23 straight? No chance we're going to change. We have been told by FBS fans for years that we've got no shot and we go out and win. We take on one of the toughest FCS conferences in the country and escape unscathed. We roll through the playoffs like it's our personal playground. And you expect us to have some sense of reality at this point? We have lost all sense of humility, humbleness, and decorum that most fan bases have learned to adhere to.

BUT...That's why your team playing the champs is such a great reward. If your team is the one to knock the Bison off, you get the RIGHT to shut all of us up. When that day does eventually happen, you will find Bison fans to be gracious in defeat and congratulate your team on their victory. Until then, sorry folks...the train keeps rollin on down the line.

To those that this post seems like another arrogant post by a Bison fan? I'm sorry that I'm not sorry. At this point, this is who I am and this is who we are.

Go Bison!

So...that means your incapable of having an actual conversation without being a complete assbag?

Twentysix
December 28th, 2013, 05:45 AM
So...that means your incapable of having an actual conversation without being a complete assbag?

Yeap.

:D

semobison
December 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Go Bison!

Who is this WE you are talking about! Posters on AGS and Bisonville are a small minority of fans. About half of these are the ones that have lost all sense of humility and reality, and that's ok. Some of us are just enjoying the ride. The one thing we have in common is that it is a great time to be a Bison Fan! Looking foreward to a great game in Frisco!

lydiabixby
December 28th, 2013, 02:53 PM
"NDSU fans were on the Towson Site buying up their tickets." Is this behavior something to be proud of or just poor sportsmanship?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
"NDSU fans were on the Towson Site buying up their tickets." Is this behavior something to be proud of or just poor sportsmanship?

I'm not sure how poor sportsmanship it is to buy tickets to an athletic event. If the Towson people don't want them, why shouldn't we buy them?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Poor sportsmanship?

You kidding me. It is called a fan base that travels well. Truth hurts.

Professor Chaos
December 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
What the **** are you talking about? If Towson had enough demand from their own fan base to sell their whole allotment then no Bison fan would've had a chance to get a ticket in their allotment just like no Towson fan had a chance to buy a ticket in the NDSU allotment. I hope you're just trolling.

Bisonator
December 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Let me guess you are of the opinion that there should be no home field advantage and games should be held at neutral sites with an average temp of 65 degrees, no wind and penalties for crowd noise? Also you do not think the little guy with the ball should be hit so hard either right? xlolx

BisonBacker
December 28th, 2013, 04:18 PM

I sure hope this was just a lame attempt at a trolling post because if it's not this is one of the more foolish things I've seen posted and that's putting it nicely.

Houndawg
December 28th, 2013, 04:28 PM

SIU was leading at halftime and lost by three TDs. I think Towson could keep it that close.

centennial
December 28th, 2013, 04:35 PM
SIU was leading at halftime and lost by three TDs. I think Towson could keep it that close.
I would call SIU and Towson a wash. I don't expect Towson to be better than SIU. Either way I have NDSU winning 42-17 in my bracket.

TennBison
December 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Are you saying Bison fans maybe did that to your team and that is why ohhhhhh maybe 20 UNH fans made it to the Fargodome.

swaghook
December 28th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Are you saying Bison fans maybe did that to your team and that is why ohhhhhh maybe 20 UNH fans made it to the Fargodome.

Was not many that's for sure but most of them enjoyed the Chokecherry taffy that BB was handing out to them. :)

clenz
December 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Difference in Towson is typically a slow starting team - see how many times they fell behind early and had to make a furious come back.

Now, look up the last time NDSU allowed anything remotely close to resembling a second half come back...

Drblankstare
December 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Towson can of course win, but they must be able to throw the ball down field to do it. If they think they can just line up and run the ball like normal, they will be in a lot of trouble. They have to keep the Bison D guessing at all times. Throw a change up in a fastball count. IMO

Lehigh'98
December 28th, 2013, 06:46 PM
If Ambrose is dull enough to run inside on first and second down all the time, which I by no means think he is, then they deserve to get blown out.

Drblankstare
December 28th, 2013, 07:06 PM
If Ambrose is dull enough to run inside on first and second down all the time, which I by no means think he is, then they deserve to get blown out.
He does have a very good o line to work with. It will be interesting to see how he approaches the game. How open to changing the formula will he be.

matfu
December 28th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I think the cold in Montana is more of a homefield advantage than the noise in Fargo (despite how well Coastal played this year). I think Furman lost the 2006 Montana State game largely because of the cold. Not sure the noise in Fargo bothered us at all?

Texas
December 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM

What else is there to talk about in that terrible state?

IBleedYellow
December 28th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Beer and football. Why else would we be so good at out drinking and have good football? ;-)

Wilson16
December 28th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I think the cold in Montana is more of a homefield advantage than the noise in Fargo (despite how well Coastal played this year). I think Furman lost the 2006 Montana State game largely because of the cold. Not sure the noise in Fargo bothered us at all?
Are you asking a question of whether the noise bothered you or not? Any team that says it wasn't a bother is kidding themselves. Having to pipe in loud noise to,practice is a bother in itself and that's before you get to the dome. Not saying the cold isn't worse but be real.

Texas
December 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Beer and football. Why else would we be so good at out drinking and have good football? ;-)

Texas is better at both and still have more to talk about. ;)

Wilson16
December 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM

The lack of crime is a good place to start

Darlinikki150
December 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Texas is better at both and still have more to talk about. ;)

Oh Texas you are funny. How goes the recruiting for the Kitty Cats? I mean you guys aren't playing so I would guess coach is knocking on a lot of doors.

Texas
December 28th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Oh Texas you are funny. How goes the recruiting for the Kitty Cats? I mean you guys aren't playing so I would guess coach is knocking on a lot of doors.

Last time I checked SHSU isn't the face of Texas or have you just ran out of stuff to parrot?

Darlinikki150
December 28th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Last time I checked SHSU isn't the face of Texas or have you just ran out of stuff to parrot?

This and I'm pretty drunk feeling sassy :)

Bisonoline
December 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah you do have major league soccer. I can see why you are so proud.

Texas
December 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Yeah you do have major league soccer. I can see why you are so proud.

You have nothing and I'm sorry.

Bisonoline
December 28th, 2013, 10:14 PM
You have nothing and I'm sorry.
\
I have nothing?????

Texas
December 28th, 2013, 10:16 PM
\
I have nothing?????

Outside of one football game, your awful state has nothing.

Bisonoline
December 28th, 2013, 10:17 PM

My awful state?

Darlinikki150
December 28th, 2013, 11:21 PM

Are u referring to ND or Arkansas? Cuz Bisonoline says he's located in the latter....

NDSUSR
December 29th, 2013, 12:43 AM

I spent half of my life in that ****hole you call home. I will take ND over TX anygivensaturday.
Seriously Huntsville? Thats the even the armpit of Texas.

IBleedYellow
December 29th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I like Texas, I'd live there right after ND.

But I much prefer the current setup of only visiting once a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Bisonoline
December 29th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Are u referring to ND or Arkansas? Cuz Bisonoline says he's located in the latter....

Ya gotta watch out for people like him whos only identity is the state in which he lives. Usually some one lacking in individual accomplishments so he brags about the state he resides in. Loser stamped on forehead.

NDSUSR
December 29th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Although I have to admit, driving down county road 18 tonight made me wish I was in Texas. It was brutal.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM
I spent half of my life in that ****hole you call home. I will take ND over TX anygivensaturday.

Well they do have a prison.....

- - - Updated - - -

Although I have to admit, driving down county road 18 tonight made me wish I was in Texas. It was brutal.

Then you'd like Kansas. It's a warmer ND.

Tubakat2014
December 29th, 2013, 07:31 AM

You wanna see an armpit? Take a trip to Brownsville or any of the cities in the Rio Grande Valley. You'd kiss the ground that Huntsville sits on after going down there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2013, 07:58 AM
You wanna see an armpit? Take a trip to Brownsville or any of the cities in the Rio Grande Valley. You'd kiss the ground that Huntsville sits on after going down there.

True this.

The "Valley" is an armpit. Personally, I like the "Big Thicket" of east Texas.

Bison06
December 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Couldn't disagree more and here's why. When you go to Montana, if it's cold, both teams are cold. When you come to Fargo and it's loud, it's only loud for the visiting team.

IBleedYellow
December 29th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Couldn't disagree more and here's why. When you go to Montana, if it's cold, both teams are cold. When you come to Fargo and it's loud, it's only loud for the visiting team.

THIS: People NEVER realize who quiet our fans get for the team. Ask Georgia Southern fans, I know that they have been there in person two years in a row. We have football smart fans, and we don't need signs telling us "Quiet Please, Offense at work!" like in certain NFL stadiums.

Da Herd
December 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM

This is the truth! Lived in Port Mansfield for a while, the valley is an absolute shathole.

NDB
December 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM

In hindsight, Towson should have let us continue to buy out their allotment so they wouldn't have to take a loss to meet the 1k minimum.

UIWWildthing
December 29th, 2013, 05:20 PM
In hindsight, Towson should have let us continue to buy out their allotment so they wouldn't have to take a loss to meet the 1k minimum.
Truthfully if the tix weren't going to be bought by Towson fans, then NDSU should be able to buy them. Towson doesn't have a large fan base to be blunt. There are a number of competing interests here (Ravens, Orioles, etc.) that I would attribute partially to the low fan base for Towson, plus to be honest Baltimore has never been a big college town (well except for the University of Maryland). Even local media kind of treat Towson as an afterthought as well, like they are a "minor" school compared to College Park.

I'm not making excuses, I think it's sad we don't have a bigger fanbase here. Truthfully you would have a bigger influx of ticket sales if this was the Lacrosse championship than the FCS title game.

dwtime
December 29th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Truthfully if the tix weren't going to be bought by Towson fans, then NDSU should be able to buy them. Towson doesn't have a large fan base to be blunt. There are a number of competing interests here (Ravens, Orioles, etc.) that I would attribute partially to the low fan base for Towson, plus to be honest Baltimore has never been a big college town (well except for the University of Maryland). Even local media kind of treat Towson as an afterthought as well, like they are a "minor" school compared to College Park.

I'm not making excuses, I think it's sad we don't have a bigger fanbase here. Truthfully you would have a bigger influx of ticket sales if this was the Lacrosse championship than the FCS title game.

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the movie 'Spinal Tap':

Ian Faith (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376676/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): The Boston gig has been cancelled...
David St. Hubbins (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571106/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): What?
Ian Faith (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376676/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town.

TennBison
December 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM

I have talked about this before on Bisonville with others that grew up in the Fargo/Red River area(I myself grew up in the upper east coast). Football is in heavy competition with other sports in the north East and in a large amount of communities is not even the top sport. Lacrosse being one of the big draws as well as hockey and baseball, to a lesser extent basketball. Where as in the Midwest, football and basketball are king and football rules in the Fargo area at any level. The Northeast sports scene is just to crowded for most FCS schools to really prosper, however I do feel that they should get a loyal following at least from their alumni and attendance should be better than it is.

UIWWildthing
December 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I have talked about this before on Bisonville with others that grew up in the Fargo/Red River area(I myself grew up in the upper east coast). Football is in heavy competition with other sports in the north East and in a large amount of communities is not even the top sport. Lacrosse being one of the big draws as well as hockey and baseball, to a lesser extent basketball. Where as in the Midwest, football and basketball are king and football rules in the Fargo area at any level. The Northeast sports scene is just to crowded for most FCS schools to really prosper, however I do feel that they should get a loyal following at least from their alumni and attendance should be better than it is.
I got to agree 100%. This is a big Ravens town, and they dominate the sports scene here. Towson's seen as good story, but college sports for the most part aren't as embraced here, with the exception of lacrosse. Lacrosse has been and is HUGE here (Hopkins, Loyola, Towson, Maryland, etc.)

caribbeanhen
December 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I got to agree 100%. This is a big Ravens town, and they dominate the sports scene here. Towson's seen as good story, but college sports for the most part aren't as embraced here, with the exception of lacrosse. Lacrosse has been and is HUGE here (Hopkins, Loyola, Towson, Maryland, etc.)

back in the day they were loco for the lefty and the Terps .... aka Mens basketball

UIWWildthing
December 29th, 2013, 06:12 PM
back in the day they were loco for the lefty and the Terps .... aka Mens basketball
They were until the days of Bob Wade, there was a huge falling out with the local HS and the Terps for years. When the Terps had their title run years ago there was interest, not as much as the past though.

caribbeanhen
December 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
They were until the days of Bob Wade, there was a huge falling out with the local HS and the Terps for years. When the Terps had their title run years ago there was interest, not as much as the past though.

I was a big Maryland hoops fan back in the 70's.... lets see, John Lucas, Tommy Mac, O'Brien, Lenny Elmore, Mo Howard, Brad Davis, Steve Sheppard, Albert King, Manning, and of course the legendary bomber Brian Magid...... remember Magid...

TwinCitiesBison
December 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Well, after today, the Ravens crowd should have an open weekend next weekend to watch the game at least!

UIWWildthing
December 29th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Well, after today, the Ravens crowd should have an open weekend next weekend to watch the game at least!
Alas they do, but so do Steelers fans so it negates some of the disappointment

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM

A lot of us are Vikings fans so you can see how much we need this to happen.

TwinCitiesBison
December 29th, 2013, 07:41 PM

What's funny is that my buddy (lifelong Steelers fan) pretty much said the same thing about the Ravens. Misery loves company, I suppose!

UIWWildthing
December 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM
What's funny is that my buddy (lifelong Steelers fan) pretty much said the same thing about the Ravens. Misery loves company, I suppose!
Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 30th, 2013, 09:56 AM
My 3 reasons why this game will not be interesting:

1. Towson will keep running West even if NDSU stops the run. NDSU's defense makes teams 1-dimensional. If Towson's starting QB cannot play then they will have a hard time winning this game. Play-action is effective if the running game is going. Will the Towson coaching staff be flexible and pass when they cannot run? This NDSU defense is the best one Towson will have faced and that includes W&M.

2. Watching Towson's defense in some of their games, they are inconsistent. Decent against the run but the NDSU O-Line is very good and will be very physical in the run game. Can they hold up for 4 quarters against this Bison offense.

3. Bison offense is too well balanced. The offense this year is much better compared to '11 and '12 teams. Brock can also run with the ball and has continued many drives by running the ball. I don't see the Towson defense consistently stopping the Bison offense in this game.

But, if Towson is able to run the ball then they can definitely win this game. That will set up their play-action pass and keep the Bison offense guessing. Now, can they do this?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM
In 3 playoff games, Towson has given up 28,39 and 31 points for a 32.67 average/game. NDSU has given up 7, 14 and 14 for a 11.66 average/game.

Also in the last 3 years NDSU has given up in the playoffs:

2011: 14, 0, 7, 6
2012: 3, 7, 20, 13

Total: 105 total points in the playoffs or 9.54 points/game

Defense is going to win the game on Saturday for the Bison and lose it for Towson.

Mr. C
December 30th, 2013, 09:18 PM
In 3 playoff games, Towson has given up 28,39 and 31 points for a 32.67 average/game. NDSU has given up 7, 14 and 14 for a 11.66 average/game.

Also in the last 3 years NDSU has given up in the playoffs:

2011: 14, 0, 7, 6
2012: 3, 7, 20, 13

Total: 105 total points in the playoffs or 9.54 points/game

Defense is going to win the game on Saturday for the Bison and lose it for Towson.
Do you actually watch the games, or just quote stats? It is safe to say that Towson had a harder road to the championship game, particularly playing two of the top offenses in FCS, Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington. Fordham's offense is one of the better ones in FCS, too. Margin of victory doesn't help you much in analyzing this weekend's matchup. Coastal Carolina had good stats (put up on a not-that-tough schedule), but New Hampshire and Furman are not Fordham, EIU and EWU.

Big Rack
December 31st, 2013, 01:05 AM
Do you actually watch the games, or just quote stats? It is safe to say that Towson had a harder road to the championship game, particularly playing two of the top offenses in FCS, Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington. Fordham's offense is one of the better ones in FCS, too. Margin of victory doesn't help you much in analyzing this weekend's matchup. Coastal Carolina had good stats (put up on a not-that-tough schedule), but New Hampshire and Furman are not Fordham, EIU and EWU.

Teams look great until they play the Bison.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2013, 06:10 AM
not so Good Teams look great until they play the Bison.
fify

seantaylor
December 31st, 2013, 06:16 AM
I think it will be a good ball game. Towson is the closest thing to GSU in terms of running the ball that the Bison has seen in their run

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 31st, 2013, 06:24 AM

We'll find out on Saturday wont we 'gold standard guy'......

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2013, 07:20 AM
Do you actually watch the games, or just quote stats?.

he seems to be a big stat guy, doesn't know the difference between the CAA and the Big South..... just meaningless stats like the incessant humming of a fan blowing hot air on a hot summer night

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 31st, 2013, 07:37 AM
he seems to be a big stat guy, doesn't know the difference between the CAA and the Big South..... just meaningless stats like the incessant humming of a fan blowing hot air on a hot summer night

Just like your redundant trolling of Bison threads.....xlolx

It hasn't mattered if it was the BS or CAA so far against the Bison in the playoffs.

NDSUSR
December 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Towson has only one hope:

If McFeely can be trusted....

"The situation between Bohl and Klieman has been described by sources inside the Bison athletic department as anything from "awkward" to "a sh** show." All agree Bohl is the instigator of the rift. "

http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions-so-little-time/953/bohls-long-departure-from-ndsu-becoming-ugly-behind-the-scenes/

Maybe its better to keep Bohl off the field and let the chips fall where they may with Klieman coaching the game???

Gil Dobie
December 31st, 2013, 12:42 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/3855006_o.gif

Bisonator
December 31st, 2013, 12:59 PM
Towson has only one hope:

If McFeely can be trusted....

"The situation between Bohl and Klieman has been described by sources inside the Bison athletic department as anything from "awkward" to "a sh** show." All agree Bohl is the instigator of the rift. "

http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions-so-little-time/953/bohls-long-departure-from-ndsu-becoming-ugly-behind-the-scenes/

Maybe its better to keep Bohl off the field and let the chips fall where they may with Klieman coaching the game???

Don't believe half the **** McFooley throws against the wall to see if it sticks!xsmhx

centennial
December 31st, 2013, 02:07 PM
Don't believe half the **** McFooley throws against the wall to see if it sticks!xsmhx
I don't disagree with you. Bohl has however been stealing recruits from NDSU left and right. I am not sure how biased this article is but it clearly states that Bohl is playing games and I wouldn't surprised if Klieman is pissed that Bohl is offering NDSU potentials full rides to Wyoming.
http://bisonation.info/recruiting-update-12-27-13/

Bisonator
December 31st, 2013, 02:12 PM
I don't disagree with you. Bohl has however been stealing recruits from NDSU left and right. I am not sure how biased this article is but it clearly states that Bohl is playing games and I wouldn't surprised if Klieman is pissed that Bohl is offering NDSU potentials full rides to Wyoming.

I couldn't care less. Honestly did anyone really think he wouldn't? If so you live in some fairy land. If those kids choose WY over NDSU I wish them well but if you are simply following Bohl there you are probably going to be disappointed when he is gone in 2-3 years. I want kids who choose NDSU because of the school and program not the coach!

centennial
December 31st, 2013, 02:19 PM
I couldn't care less. Honestly did anyone really think he wouldn't? If so you live in some fairy land. If those kids choose WY over NDSU I wish them well but if you are simply following Bohl there you are probably going to be disappointed when he is gone in 2-3 years. I want kids who choose NDSU because of the school and program not the coach!
I thought he would. People in Fargo who think he is the pope have another thing coming. Without stealing from NDSU, he is going to have a hard time being successful at least in the short term. Laramie is hard sell in front of Fargo, you have to go to Fort Collins to do anything worthwhile. If I were the new coach I would be pissed too that the old coach is stealing recruits even after an agreement that he won't (not enforceable). So even though that article might be hearsay it wouldn't surprise me that its true.

No_Skill
December 31st, 2013, 02:21 PM

...not sure how you can say that our defense giving up under 10 pts per game in the last 3 playoff runs is a "meaningless" stat.

Bisonator
December 31st, 2013, 02:26 PM
I thought he would. People in Fargo who think he is the pope have another thing coming. Without stealing from NDSU, he is going to have a hard time being successful at least in the short term. Laramie is hard sell in front of Fargo, you have to go to Fort Collins to do anything worthwhile. If I were the new coach I would be pissed too that the old coach is stealing recruits even after an agreement that he won't (not enforceable). So even though that article might be hearsay it wouldn't surprise me that its true.

Trust me every coach knows how the game is played. It's the nature of the business. Deal with it.

Professor Chaos
December 31st, 2013, 02:44 PM
If a kid can be swayed enough by a coaching staff moving to switch his commitment he probably wouldn't have stuck at NDSU in any case. Bohl has a very short amount of time to try to put together a class at Wyoming. NDSU has 14 verbals and none that I've heard have decommitted so I'm not worried about recruiting.

Also, the guy that wrote that blog does a fantastic job covering NDSU recruiting but he's been in the group that thought Bohl shouldn't have been allowed to coach the team from the day he announced his intention to leave for Wyoming so he's got a bone to pick still with the fact that he's still coaching the team and is trying to show that he was right.

centennial
December 31st, 2013, 04:44 PM
If a kid can be swayed enough by a coaching staff moving to switch his commitment he probably wouldn't have stuck at NDSU in any case. Bohl has a very short amount of time to try to put together a class at Wyoming. NDSU has 14 verbals and none that I've heard have decommitted so I'm not worried about recruiting.

Also, the guy that wrote that blog does a fantastic job covering NDSU recruiting but he's been in the group that thought Bohl shouldn't have been allowed to coach the team from the day he announced his intention to leave for Wyoming so he's got a bone to pick still with the fact that he's still coaching the team and is trying to show that he was right.
It is much harder to go after a kid who has committed, at least from the Bohl stand point. He is going after kids that were leaning NDSU, or NDSU was their best offer. Now some of them might not have come to NDSU but he is offering them scholarships to Wyoming openly. I am not refusing to deal with him taking our players away. Just giving an explanation as to why there might be friction. Let's just win our third in a row, I don't care about any of this for now.

NDSUSR
December 31st, 2013, 11:22 PM
My impression was that the rift started when CB thought Klieman was going with to WY, then Klieman said nope.

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2014, 08:22 AM
My impression was that the rift started when CB thought Klieman was going with to WY, then Klieman said nope.

smugness at an all time high in Fargo, kind of like the USA pre-market crash 1929 - lucky there is no high buildings
The inevitable Rifts and distractions (sounds like a Aerosmith song) starting to tune up in the background - remember Bison fans - Bohl has waffled on North Dakota State and has flipped Fargo the Bird, and all for what? Wyoming? Que up the laughter
Towson > all other MVFC teams with maybe the exception of a healthy Northern Iowa

Buckle up Fargo

TSU86
January 1st, 2014, 09:11 AM
how bout a separate thread all about the rift between head coach and future head coach.
It can be titled - "who gives a crap?"

centennial
January 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM
how bout a separate thread all about the rift between head coach and future head coach.
It can be titled - "who gives a crap?"
Don't worry. We will get it done in Frisco. Our internal coaching squabbles aside, the NDSU team is focused and knows what needs to be done to win.

Gil Dobie
January 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
If the game does get interesting, it will be more interesting to see the Bison open the playbook. They have been playing a pretty vanilla scheme all season, not having to go very deep into the playbook very often. I loved the fake Punt attempt against Sam.

caribbeanhen
January 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
If the game does get interesting, it will be more interesting to see the Bison open the playbook. They have been playing a pretty vanilla scheme all season, not having to go very deep into the playbook very often. I loved the fake Punt attempt against Sam.

if they have to open the playbook is what Ambrose is daydreaming about

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
smugness at an all time high in Fargo, kind of like the USA pre-market crash 1929 - lucky there is no high buildings
The inevitable Rifts and distractions (sounds like a Aerosmith song) starting to tune up in the background - remember Bison fans - Bohl has waffled on North Dakota State and has flipped Fargo the Bird, and all for what? Wyoming? Que up the laughter
Towson > all other MVFC teams with maybe the exception of a healthy Northern Iowa

Buckle up Fargo

xcoffeex

Hammerhead
January 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Ask New Hampshire how much the coaching changes distracted the Bison. :)

Buckle up Fargo

Da Herd
January 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
I can confirm from a relative in the NDSU FB organization that the reports of an awkward situation are definitely true, which I would expect.. Shatshow isn't a way I heard it described though.

Da Herd
January 3rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
...not sure how you can say that our defense giving up under 10 pts per game in the last 3 playoff runs is a "meaningless" stat.

Agreed.

Mr. C's post about the stats has a lot of merit though. NDSU cruised to the ship without playing a seeded opponent while Towson knocked off the 2 and 3 seeds, they definitely had a tougher road.

Winindy
January 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
if they have to open the playbook is what Ambrose is daydreaming about

I'm looking for the successful execution of the hook and tackle lateral.

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Agreed.

Mr. C's post about the stats has a lot of merit though. NDSU cruised to the ship without playing a seeded opponent while Towson knocked off the 2 and 3 seeds, they definitely had a tougher road.

Yeah well maybe the committee didn't get the seeds right.

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'm looking for the successful execution of the hook and tackle lateral.

Only after the game is in hand though. xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
January 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
The number of points scored by NDSU's previous playoff opponents this year dropped by 65% compared to the opponents' previous averages. If that trend continues, Towson would score 14 points and I'm confident that NDSU's offense can score more than 2 touchdowns.

Hammerhead
January 4th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I'd call it a draw on #2 and wrong on #1 and #3. West is very good, but was still held to just under 100 rushing yards. Even so, Towson was probably the toughest team we faced in the playoffs and they should be congratulated on a very good season, especially if you see how far they have come from in just a few years.

Just my 2¢.