PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Opinions

blukeys
October 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
This has been an interesting year as it appears to this observer that the Ivies have taken it to the PL teams (Yes Holy Cross beat Dartmouth) and the question of Ivy participation in the I-AA playoffs will raise it's ugly head again on campuses from Cambridge to Philadelphia once again. On one hand I don't care at all. The Ivies would no doubt want an auto bid and be bigger whiners than USD if they didn't get one. On the other hand all of I-AA would be enhanced by having the names Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Brown associated with our playoffs (OK I left off Columbia and Dartmouth but we all know why)

So Why won't the Ivie's participate? The first view is that the Presidents don't want it. But that is too simple. Presidents report to Trustees who can feel the sting of public opinion especially alumni. If there was a huge groundswell for NCAA football playoff participation then something would change.

Personally I think most Ivy alumni don't even know that I-AA exists and most Ivy administrators are all to happy to continue this farce.

I am more than willing to hear from the Ivie's on this board why there is no real pressure to promote I-AA playoff participation. We all know that the coaches and players want to play and that the academic considerations are totally bogus. (if the concerns were academic eliminate Ivies from the BBall tournament!!!)

Looking forward to the analysis of Ivytalk and the other Ivies as I am always willing to learn.

Harvard Worship
October 15th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Personally I think most Ivy alumni don't even know that I-AA exists and most Ivy administrators are all to happy to continue this farce.

I pledge to do my utmost to address this deplorable state of affairs.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I think it's because of the "overemphasis on football." Football is a grimy, grungy sport that true academics in their ivory (Ivy?) towers believe is beneath the dignity of genuine scholars.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whatever it is, it's bogus. Division III Swarthmore fired a coach about 20 years ago because he was too successful and diverting nerds from their studies on Saturday afternoons to watch the Little Quakers destroy Ursinus. And we all know about the brouhaha at Dartmouth.: smh : : smh :

I want the Ivies to participate in the playoffs, just like Harvard Worship and lots of others. Maybe this generation can make it happen.:nod: :nod:

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I think the Ivy League should go I-A together. Then they can play their little bowl games and schedule Army and Navy non conference.

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2006, 11:37 AM
The simple answer is that Harvard, Yale, and Princeton oppose it, and it won't change without their support. Coaches from Penn, Brown, and a couple of others show support for participating, but H-Y-P feel that the hoopla surrounding their late year games is still worth more than a late November loss in Missoula.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Sme discussion, new year.